Kevin’s Blood Test Consultation with Dr. Williams : The Renegade Health Show Episode #765

Monday Feb 21 | BY |

In Sarasota, we met with Dr. Williams to get our blood tested and see how we’re progressing…

The good news is that there has been some great improvement. The bad? There’s still some work to do!

Here’s my blood test reading, for the world to see! (I explain my results in this article.)

Your question of the day: Does your doctor spend more than 10 minutes with you?

If you want to learn more about how to read your own blood tests, Dr. Williams and I have put together an entire program on it! Click here to read more!

1. Oh my…I need a new doctor. My doctor does do my blood work and sends me something saying everything is ok or what needs to be worked on but doesn’t got over the results with me. This is a big eye opener. Glad to hear all is ok with your blood work.

2. Allison Lincoln says:

My doctor does not spend 5 minutes. Its pathetic. I need to find a new doctor in Bowling Green, KY.

3. Sharon says:

I don’t go to doctors. If I need testing done I go to my biofeedback practitioner (one hour). Other than that I learned to treat myself after working for a holistic MD who believed in the Chinese way of doing things–be a teacher!

4. Did he say that eating fruit raises triglycerides?

5. helen says:

Very little faith in doctors. Always willing to learn to heal myself Our doctor doesnt give 5 mins never mind 10!!

6. R. Ortman says:

I see an integrative doctor in DC and yes he does sit down and go over every detail of my test results. I am moving to Sarasota though and I’m just thrilled that I think I just found my new doctor! Thanks Kev!

7. Josiah says:

Sounds like you need a really good piece of meat!!

8. Judy says:

Yes, I also have a wonderful doctor who will take as long as needed with me—-but I don’t abuse the priviledge–I try to have all my questions written down beforehand. However, if he covers something that I don’t quite “get”, he will take the necessary time to explain. I’m so blessed.

9. Dejana says:

I don’t go to doctors either:), but if I did I would choose a good, caring one like yours:)

10. matt says:

yes excessive amount of fruits (over 6-8 servings a day) and especially commercially available fruit juices raise triglycerides. This also depends on your metabolic typing. carbohydrate types can handle fruits lot better than protein types. If protein type, servings have to come down even lower and only after eating protein first. Since I gave up on commercially sold juices (even advertised as not from concentrate) over 10 years ago and limited my fruits to 3-4 servings a day my triglycerised have never been over 90.

11. Jessica says:

I finally found a doctor that didn’t try to medicate me and sat down with me for 10 minutes! Yay! But he was hard to find! Maybe it’s because my symptoms boggled his mind… off to see the endocrinologist I go….

12. Mike says:

Should have had the doctor say the numbers!! We can’t see the paper!!

13. Sarah says:

Does my doctor sit down with me for more than ten minutes? Ha ha ha! Yeah right! I unfortunately have to deal with the Navy’s medical system, and with a few exceptions it is terrible. You are mostly only seen by junior HM’s who are only minimally trained, and their solution to everything is “here’s some motrin.” I can’t tell you how much damn motrin I have been prescribed in my Navy career! And as far as who my actual doctor is, I really couldn’t tell you!

I will say that I have received good care and Naval Medical Center San Diego as opposed to at the Branch Health Clinic on my base. But this is mainly because I go there to see my psychologist, not a general practitioner.

Basically, the military’s policy on health is not prevention, and you only get real medical care by the time you are really truly in pain. It’s absolutely ridiculous, but that’s what Uncle Sam pays for so that’s what us military people get, unfortunately.

14. mini_mi says:

What diet were you on that hurt your health?

15. Cindy says:

I find most Dr’s just skim over the report and even dismiss when the markers are slightly outside of “normal”. i always take a copy for myself and have a good look at home and compare to previous tests.
    I take control for my own health as there interest is in prescribing meds to fix problems not spending time telling you how to ‘naturally’ fix any concerns or discrepancies.
    Thanks for the video, i look forward to seeing Ann Marie’s

16. Sue says:

Dale, excess carbohydrates are converted to triglycerides.

17. Emily says:

My MD schedules either 20 minutes or 40 minutes depending on what we need to talk about. He thoroughly reviews test results with me. He is also an Integrative MD and graduate of Dr. Weil’s integrative medicine program.

I also see an ND (Naturopath) who spent 30 minutes with me at no charge for a consult to see if we were a good fit. Then she spent 90 minutes with me for my Initial Consult and follow-up sessions are 60 minutes.

Also – all of my health care practitioners work together as a TEAM and are open to talking and communicating with each other regarding my health.

I have direct email access to both my ND and MD and they are always very responsive to any question or concerns I have between visits.

I am a Holistic Health and Nutrition Counselor and I help people find new doctors and create personalized health care teams. I spend 60 minutes or more to talk to my clients about their health and provide them with all the tools they need to start taking action steps.

Our health is our most valuable asset in life.

Above, Judy mentioned that she doesn’t “abuse the privilege” to talk to her doctor as long as she needs to…I look forward to the day when talking to our doctor and getting our health care questions and needs met is viewed as a basic human right and no longer a privilege.

Emily

18. Niraja Golightly says:

Yes! She (my GP) spends 30-45 minutes with me each time I see her, and she deals with me holistically even though she’s an MD. In fact my cancer surgeon and oncologist are also excellent too and really listen to me, respect my questions–and most importantly answer them as honestly as they can. All of them make a point to send me home with lab results and show me what they take out of me tumor-wise. Now I pretty much know what cancer looks and feels like. I am so lucky right now. Some of my past docs were not so hot and did not pay attention to my situation–and they certainly were not up on the lastest research or less traditional approaches.

19. Javy says:

Eating fruit raises triglycerides? Hum!!! I think I heard that from Dr. Robert O. Young debate.

20. Melissa says:

I see an Integrative doctor outside of DC, but pay more for it since she operates outside of health insurance. Did you know health insurance companies mandate that doctors spend no more than 15 minutes with each patient so they can make more money? CRIMINAL!

Yes, more on the fruit/ triglyceride connection would be fantastic!

21. Maria says:

My mainstream medical GP is actually fantastic and DOES!! Basically in entirety what Judy(post 3) said is verbatim what my comment would be!!! In UK he is free to see so that is extra awesome AND he never judges by labels, he totally respects my intelligence he goes out of his way to help (and I’ve suffered severe prejudice at times due to ‘diagnosis’). There is a rule here now that you are only allowed to take ONE Q AT A TIME to your GP and I’ve heard that in many places this utterly ridiculous time-consuming (and surely potentially health endangering?!) rule is strictly enforced!!!! I am very lucky:-)

22. Maria says:

AHHHHHHHHH forgot to update the page – JUDY’S COMMENT NOW NO.8….Oops, I won’t use no.s as reference in future, lol, they can change hehehe x

23. Joe says:

Yes…my doctors do go over my blood work with me and I always get a copy…living in Canada is a plus…because my blood work anyalsis is free….

24. Maria says:

…Good job my last post was about blog posts not blood test figures…!

25. Flo in Texas says:

Yes my current doctor does spent time with me. She actually touches me. Don’t laugh as I have had doctors who never touched me other than looking in my ears, eyes etc, but never really touched. This one when I said I had an occasional pain in my upper right side,ask me to lay back and pushed on my whole abdomen. No bad pain and she felt nothing. The pain finally went away after she told me to do a good cleaning out of intestines and colon. I would not go to anyone else.

26. Nicky says:

What about a live blood analysis. That would be could to see also.

27. Don says:

So, morphological studies prove that “live” human blood testing can have a significant impact on ones health. The evaluation by Dr. W. was genuine, sincere, and appropriate. Your willingness to be videoed with a physician is rare for both the patient and physician.

28. Oh yea. OHHH yea. She is uber thorough.

29. Jeff says:

Hey Kevin,

So I’ve heard you mention this vitamin D delemma a few times, and I have to bring something up to you. I’m not sure if you’ve heard the interviews with Dr. Jameth Sheridan where he addresses D deficiency and his theory on it, which he has debated with several leading doctors about. He says that vitamin D is stored in the body as D2, not D3, and is only converted into D3 as is needed. And since blood analysis check for levels of D3, they will always be lower than expected, because the body only converts what is necessary and has backup reserves of D2 that it can use when needed. He strongly believes people are misguided in supplementing with D3, as it will confuse the body’s normal conversion processes. This makes a heck of a lot of sense to me, because my intuition tells me the same thing as yours… why take supplements when we are designed to get what we need from food? And as far as the B12 being low, that’s probably because your ancestors evolved eating animal products, and you are the first in your family line to exclude meat, therefore your body is not evolved in the optimal way to create B12 from what you eat. If you ate animal products, you probably wouldn’t need to take any supplements other than whole superfoods to make up for our depleted overused soils. Just something to consider…

Thanks!

Jeff

30. Kim says:

On an earlier episode Dr. Williams recommended a book titled The Schwarzbein Principle which explains how triglycerides become elevated even on a vegetarian or vegan diet and how to correct it. A fascinating book. It taught me a lot about how to balance my diet.

31. Adam says:

How much does it cost for all these blood tests and consultation? I am assuming no health insurance or is most of this covered under insurance?

32. Jana says:

I haven’t been to a doctor since 06/2008 and I’m a cancer survivor dx’d in 12/2004. I had a few visits that lasted more than 10 minutes but very few. I had lots of visits during 2005.

I’m wondering what kind of tests did Dr Williams run that revealed the information about no infection and no parasites?

33. Jana says:

ps, I am so glad Dr Williams will be blogging for y’all.

34. Sue says:

I’ve read that Dr Sheridan doesn’t know what he is talking about in regards to vitamin D.

35. Sue says:

Also you had Sheridan talking about insulin potentiation therapy on your show where it looks like he got it wrong:

36. oreganol says:

My doctor emailed me my test results so that I could go through them before seeing him, He then sat down with me for an hour to go over all my test results and to explain what they all meant. It was useful having the results emailed because it gave me time to think them through and decide what question I had for him.

I wonder if Josiah (comment 7) has been tested and if he is willing to share his results. There are millions of people who eat meat who are in very bad health – just look around you. If you think meat is a cure-all, then you are very naive. Most people in the US eat meat and they are among the most unhealthy people in the entire world.

37. SueS says:

I think meat eaters can have deficiencies but most people are unhealthy not because of meat but because of the processed garbage they consume alongside meat.

38. Doctor? What doctor? But, I guess it wouldn’t hurt if you go get your blood tested to see what dietary changes you can make – especially if you eat a restricted diet like raw vegan. But most doctors don’t give life advice absent of drugs. So, no, my doctor doesn’t sit with me for any minutes because he/she doesn’t exist. But again, you showed an example of how a doctor visit isn’t all that bad. But I’m gonna choose to leave my blood where it belongs – in my body.

39. debbie says:

No doctors here either…..NO FAITH in them! I have a doctor and HIS NAME IS JESUS..I do go to a guy that does the blood work and lab tests for people and all is great with me and he can take as long as I need to answer my questions and go over the results. I am a RAWVEGAN and all my tests are great and I feel terrific!
    I am happy all is great with you and I know Ann Marie too!
    hugs!

40. Susan Blake says:

Hi Kevin,
    This was interesting but to answer your question, yes, my doctor goes over ALL my lab tests annually and spends probably at least a half hour with me. He is exceptional I think.

It’s also interesting that although he is an allopathic physician, he knows that I’m into natural health and has been rather blown away that the diet changes I’ve made over the last few years have really truly impacted my test results – all in a good way! He’d told me in the past there was nothing but a Herculean effort that would bring down my cholesterol. Well, meet Hercules! haha!
    Susan

41. Karen says:

I haven’t been to the doctor in years, but also haven’t had any blood tests either.

Dr. Mercola recently said that he was eating fruit every morning but he stopped because his triglycerides went way up. I was thinking maybe it was because of his “body type” that he always talks about. I wondered though because most mornings I eat only fruit too.

42. Jessic a says:

Nope!

43. QC says:

Kevin,

I have a question regarding cholesterol level. When someone tries to increase their cholesterol level on their raw vegan diet, let say if they consume goat kefir regularly (how much and how often do you do that?) their fat intake will increase, right? Their omega 3 to 6 ratio would be affected, then they will probably need to increase their omega 3 intake. My question is: will this become a bad cycle for raising the total fat intake?

Quinny

44. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Dale: Yes, too much can do that. See @matt’s comments.

@Mike: The numbers are mentioned in my analysis of the reading here: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/02/21/my-personal-blood-test-analysis/

@Adam: Your insurance should be able to cover most, if not all of it.

@Jana: Eosinophils are a marker for this and this is tested in the regular complete blood profile (CBC)

Thanks for all your comments!

45. Catherine says:

I have a fabulous holistic doc! He has a practice in Naples, FL. His name is Daved Rosensweet, MD and he typically spends over an hour with me.

46. He has mentioned that he was not exercising – triglycerides would have been fine if he had been exercising – exercise is everything!

47. Lucy says:

I’m just curious… Is this an MD, DO or DC?

48. High triglycerides means lack of exercise and not an excess of fruit.

49. Debbi says:

Yes, I too am blessed with a Doc. that not only explains things but also listens. I was born with scoliosis and hip dysplasia, making it a when not an if I was going to get arthritis. Then 2 years ago, I experienced neck and shoulder pain, so bad that I went to his office crying and said that if he didn’t give me something, I would take rat poison. He immediately gave me something, sent me for an MRI and set up an appt. with a Neuro Surgeon. You see, prior to this, I always refused anything stronger than motrin. (Like I said, he listens.) After seeing the Neuro Surgeon for 1 year, being diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy and fibromyalgia, refusing surgery, steroid shots and feeling like a zombie on Neurontin, Lyrica and muscle relaxants, having every home traction unit I could have + a stim unit for pain, I went back to my Doc. I told him, I wanted off all these drugs, he did blood work and found my vit D was very low, so he put me on 10,000 iu/ daily to start of D3, he said there is a difference. My Chol. was good but triglycerides were high. For that Omega 3 fish oil, vit. E, and garlic pills. I also take Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root. Results: I’m down to taking 5000 iu of Vit D3, My triglycerides are within normal range, my chol. is still normal and I’m NOT a ZOMBIE!! I still have 1 of my muscle relaxants that I take if spasms get bad but now that have D3, I’m a believer.

50. Sally says:

I have a quick question about your bloodwork. Is this form of extensive testing something your medical Dr does or did you do to a Holistic Dr?
    Thanks,