Dr. J. E. Williams Shares Some of His Recent Favorite Books : The Renegade Health Show Episode #760

Monday Feb 14 | BY |

Back to real-time Renegade Health Shows!

The Great Health Debate was great, but now it’s time to get back to business.

We’ve been spending the last week or so with Dr. J. E. Williams here in Sarasota, Florida. The other day, we were in his office and Annmarie wanted him to point out a few books that he liked.

I said it would be a great idea to get it on film for you guys, so we did!

Here is Dr. Williams explaining some of his favorite books right now.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite book right now?

1. Basia says:

Today I just picked up Crazy Sexy Diet, and will start reading it tonight. While I am certainly interested in it for myself, I also think it may be a good book to pass on to those who are just starting to look more closely at their health and need some help to get a plan off the ground. My current reading pile also includes the Self-Healing Cookbook (Turner) and Natural Healing with Herbs (Santillo). I bought those in the late 80s–ie in high school–when I was looking for guidance on a vegetarian diet and alternative medicine/natural remedies. I still learn something new each time I review them.

2. Barbara W. says:

Gluten Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern and
    Growing Roots by Katherine Leiner.

3. Yasmine says:

You wrote “willaims” in the tags instead of “williams”.

Cheers!

4. Kasey says:

I would have laughed if he brought out 80/10/10 ; )

I am reading so many books right now!

Nature’s secret messages by Elain Wilkes

Primal body primal mind by Nora Gedgaudas.

The PH Miracle… I like the alkalizing theory but the guy sells so many products that you ‘need’ and recommends so much salt it’s crazy. Ah well, like all books you take what’s useful and leave the rest.

Got the Gerson therapy on hold at the library.

I just read this anti-aging book and found out some good info about carnosine that you guys might be interested in, since some of us just found out about it from the great health debate!

We produce an enzyme called carnosinase that breaks down carnosine into its constituent amino-acids to be stored for later use. In order to get the benefits Dr. Cousens described (anti-glycation) you would need to eat more carnosine than your enzymes can handle to bypass the natural process of conversion and build up a high enough level of carnosine in the blood so they could then work on protecting your brain.

This means that just eating some meat will not give you any of the benefits of anti-glycation protection for your brain because carnosine is normally just converted into amino acids and stored. You need about 2lbs of ground beef a day to provide the anti-aging benefits of carnosine naturally. 2 lbs of beef might just end your life by bowel collapse lol.

So if you want to supplement, go for it, but it’s not like people eating meat have this huge carnosine advantage. It’s just another amino acid to add to the pool.

5. Magda S. says:

Incredible week. Kevin, you are awesome and you have a new fan. 2 points to add that I think are very important are consumption of organic as much as possible (for health and political reasons to maintain food diversity and choice) and fasting (an incredible healing practice.)

6. Suzanne says:

Well, my favorite books tonite are about angina PAIN! On Sunday I experienced an elephant sitting on my chest! It happened a year ago, but I thought it was just a muscle spasm. I was resting at the time, no exertion, no other symptoms. I am 60, excellent health, lots of plant foods (some cooked most not), supplements, ex., good blood/saliva results (except for stress/cortisol-3 adult kids living w/us) this last summer. I am in total shock since I do just about everything right most of the time. I am scheduled tomorrow to get this verified (as advised by my rawwashington group), but I will not under any circumstances take any drugs they want me to take. My parents did live to 80’s and both had heart disease (not overwt., but a pretty traditional diet, but not too much box stuff). So I have been reading, reading, reading. Any tips? I have my cayenne tincture ready if I should wake tonite w/the big eared beast sitting on me!

7. a says:

I’m reading the 80/10/10 Diet by Dr Douglas Graham 🙂

Are you going to ask everyone who they think won the great health debate? My vote is for Will Tuttle 🙂 But then I’ve been into being vegan for a long long time so he’s preaching to the choir…

8. Thank you for sharing!! 😀
    I will try to read the books that he recommended!
    But right now I am reading David Wolfes “The sunfood diet success system” and I am page 302 right now…. only 250 pages left or so hahah.. I will try to read 50 pages today 😀
    I really like this book!!

9. Michael says:

First off I just want to say thanks Kevin for putting together the Great Health Debate. I really do appreciate all the hard work you are doing keep it up!

As for my favorite book, I’d have to say “Lessons From The Miracle Doctors” by Jon Barron. (The extended edition)

Anyone interested in health, whether they are a newbie or a veteran, should definitely read this book. I really can’t recommend this book enough. You can listen to or download the abbreviated version (177 vs 372 pages) for free online at jonbarron.org but the free versions (with exception to his talk on cancer) are really just a tease. This book covers so much and Jon makes it so easy to understand. I’m going to list the chapters so you can see just how much is covered.

Part 1 Overview
    1. The Thieves of Health
    2. The Baseline of Health
    Part 2 Cleansing and Detoxification
    3. Intestinal Cleansing
    4. Intestinal Rebuilding with Probiotics
    5. Your Mouth Is Killing You
    6. Cleansing Your Liver, Kidneys and Blood.
    Part 3 Diet and Supplements
    17. Exercise-Move or Die
    Part 5 Specific Conditions
    18. The Cholesterol Myth and Other Cardiovascular Stories
    19. Lets Talk About Cancer
    20. The Plagues of Our Time-Diabetes, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s Disease and MS
    21. Aging-It’s Not Just for the Old

Kevin, I know you know about him. You’ve mentioned him before in some of your older episodes. Have you not read his book? You made it seem like you never heard of carnosine until that first night of the debate. If you have read Jon’s book or searched on his site (which by the way, is all free) you would have seen that he talks about carnosine and the research on it. He also does a free bi-monthly newsletter that you definitely should check out if you are not already subscribed to it. All of the old newsletters are archived on the site free to look up.

Well enough of me gushing over Jon but he really is an amazing individual and his foundation is awesome! You should definitely check it out!

10. Sue says:

It was good to see he had Good Calories Bad Calories and Cholesterol Con.

11. Beth says:

What a great idea to peek at Dr. Williams’ bookshelves.
    I’m currently reading Book 3 of the Anastasia series.

12. s.celsen says:

Man! Great debates!!!

My husband and I are trying to lengthen our library, so we have quite a bit.
    My favorites are;
    ‘the Wheatgrass Book’ Ann Wigmore
    ‘Sunfood Diet Success System’ David Wolfe
    ‘Superfoods’ David Wolfe
    ‘Eating for Beauty’ David Wolfe
    ‘The Maker’s Diet’ Jordan Rubin
    ‘Patient Heal Thyself’ Jordan Rubin
    ‘Enzyme Nutrition’
    ‘Wild Fermentation’
    And yes, ‘Nourashing Traditions’ Sally Fallon

13. I am enjoying Superfoods and Sunfood Diet both by David Wolfe.

14. Lourdes says:

Thanks to all for their reading suggestions. Mine is fairly obvious, I think: Bernard Jensen’s “Dr. Jensen’s Guide to Better Bowel Care: a Complete Program for Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management.” It covers the subject in depth AND gives very specific instructions about what to do.

15. Sharon says:

Just got “Dr. Gundry’s Diet Evolution–Turn off the Genes that are Killing You–and your Waistline–and Drop the Weight for Good” yesterday on recommendation from a friend who has had a really hard time losing weight and this program is working for her.

Also I’m reading some local books on mushrooms and wild edibles and some gardening books. I really believe in the backyard garden idea! Even if it’s just a few potted plants we all should grow at least a little bit of our own food.

A few of my favorite health books: The Diet Cure & The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates, The Live Food Factor by Susan Schenk (will get her Beyond Broccoli book soon too), Superfoods by David Wolfe, Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens, will also be getting Frederick Patenaude’s new book soon, Candida Yeast Infection by Rupert Beebe, I have most of Dr. Sherry Rogers books (hard to read but good info) and Dr. Hyman’s (easier read!), Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey (exercise). I could go on but those are probably my favorites that would interest your readers.

Like Dr. Williams I like to read European books. I don’t read French which is unfortunate but I’ve read hundreds of health books in German. There just so much more to learn from them than what is found or practiced here in North America. There I learned about neural therapy, homeopathy, tissue salts, cancer therapies, etc.

You are lucky to have found Dr. Williams and have him as your personal doctor. If only there were more of his type to go around!

16. Sharon says:

Oh yes, I have to second Lourdes comment about Tissue Cleansing! Definitely in my top ten! EVERYONE should either own or read this book. Even if you don’t ever do the program, just get the knowledge to know what is possible.

What a wonderful question today. I love to share books and get recommendations.

17. JW says:

Considering the broader perspective and “Truth”, I really like the entire series by Jed McKenna. Warning…it will likely rock your world and you will never be the same after reading. Enjoy!

18. Suzanne says:

There are a few that I love:

Roger’s Recovery from AIDS: How One Man Defeated the Dread Disease by Bob Owen (Sep 1987)

Bruce Fife’s new book On Alzheimer’s — Stop Alzheimer’s Now

Over the Counter Natural Cures by Shane Ellison

The Great Cholesterol Lie by Dwight Lundell (different from The Great Cholesterol Con, even though the titles sound similar and the Lundell book is only available on the following site: http://thecholesterollie.com/

19. Alina says:

@Suzanne. I do not know if it will help you but I used to have heart palpitation for the past many years and they were getting worse. I started using cod liver oil/butter oil from Green Pasture and just after 3 days I had no more heart palpitations (for the past 2 weeks or so). I think that the cod liver oil/butter oil is balancing my hormones as well but it might be too early to say it for sure yet. Also I have braces and after one year of wearing them my gums were bleeding profusely every time I flossed or used oral irrigator. Now no bleeding! I have been oil poling for the past 2 months and I noticed that it help with the bleeding but the liver/butter oil just took it to a higher level.

20. Sue Rushford says:

Just finished Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin – currently reading Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Diet & John Robbins’ Healthy at 100 – the physical and digital bookshelves continue to grow! Love peeking at others’ bookshelves tho!

21. Alina says:

@Michael.
    Jon Barron looks really interesting would you mind to describe a little bit his Hormone balancing section in the book? I am into hormone balancing these days as I am trying to conceive. Since I am older I need any help I can get (LOL).
    Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

22. roni says:

WAS reading Sally Fallon’s cookbook, but since the other night, decided not to continue and am returning it to the person who lent it to me!

currently doing some “dessert” reading – fiction and art books…

but also just started World Peace Diet by Will Tuttle. I too like Michael Pollan very much.

23. Luke says:

I am reading “Can we live 150 years?” by Mikhail Tombak. Just got to the bit about Colon Hydrotherapy and am feeling quite intrigued and like I’m going to give in to Matt Monarch’s pestering 😀 (“Cleanse the colon!”)

Also “The Portable Emerson” which is a collection of works from Ralph Waldo Emerson. This one is going much slower as it requires much more re-reading and reflection. Great stuff though!

24. marcia says:

Great Debate!!!! Loved it. A bit confused but got a lot out of the speakers.

The book I’m reading right now….
    “Concious Eating..Gabrielle Cousins”

25. Gail says:

I think my library is pretty extensive, particularly if I still had some of the books I seemed to have ‘lost’ over the years.

I’m strongly considering the Kindle because I no longer have ROOM for all my BOOKS! I just don’t know how I would like having it when I SOOO treasure holding my books, reading them, writing notes in them, etc.

There’s no such thing as a favorite in anything for me. I love everything just for what it is, and I love them all.

I will say this, “You’re Not Sick, You’re Thirsty” really opened my eyes! It’s given me some real “aha’s!”

26. AmandaS says:

Fav’s:
    Nourishing Traditions (LOVE THIS BOOK)
    The Body Ecology Diet – Donna Gates
    ‘The Maker’s Die’t – and the ‘Raw Truth’ – Jordan Rubin
    The Gabriel Method (weight loss – esp. with psycho-somatic issues)
    Ramiel Nigel – on healing tooth decay
    12 steps to raw – Victoria Boutenko
    God helps those who help themselves – Hanna Kroeger (including hands on healing)
    Food healing for man – Bernard Jensen

27. Anne says:

Hi Kev,

I’m currently reading the Food REvolution by John Robbins.
    Thanks for sharing Dr Williams bookshelf…more books to look at for me!

28. Melissa says:

I am reading The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates for the 3rd time. We have been doing her diet for two months and I still learn when I read the book again. We feel so much better and have had fun trying and experimenting with new foods and a different way of eating. I love your website and recent health debate. It was awesome – I am learning as much as I can! I really want to tune into my body and somehow figure out what it is saying to me – it still seems like everything I eat it doesn’t like too well. Maybe it will get better as I stick to the diet!

29. nina says:

First of all – Kevin AND Annmarie – thank you so much for the excellent job of presenting the “debates”. To conceive it and turn it into reality – what a fantastic accomplishment!
    Right now I’m reading “Crazy Sexy Diet” and I love it! Prior to that I read Dr. Young’s “pH Miracle” and “pH Miracle Diet”. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.
    David Wolfe’s “Superfoods” was also great, and I read it twice.
    I almost always read these books twice, because there is so much to absorb the first time. I find I always learn something new the second time around.

30. Judy in Devon says:

I’ve found that eating for your blood type to be very eye opening! Eat 4 Your Type by Peter D’adamo. I swear by it… Years ago I used to drink soy milk and wondered why I had such an intensely stinky reaction. Because I’m a B blood type!!! Unfermented soya doesn’t work for almost all Bs. Yes, there are exceptions to the lists in the book, but for the most part they’re spot on. Many thanks and hugs for all you’ve done, Kevin!

31. dominika says:

I’m reading The Lost Language of Plants – The Ecological Importance of Plant Medicines, by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Such a good one! Thanks for the thoughtful question Annmarie, and thank you Kevin for helping us share that moment.