7 Common Lessons We All Can Learn From the Great Health Debate : The 7 Things I Learned This Week (Special Edition!)

Monday Feb 14 | BY |

bolder boulder kevin gianni
Finding common answers during this event is like trying to find Waldo at the Bolder Boulder (There’s five…)

The end of The Great Health Debate is here…

If you thought listening to this event was an adventure, putting it together was a journey that I never expected to be so difficult.

Ever.

I’ll have more of my personal observations on the state of the health world based on my experience putting this event together tomorrow, but today I want to share the 7 Things I Learned This (Last) Week from the Great Health Debate!

It’s actually the 7 commonalities between all or most of the speakers.

(For those of you who are new to the blog here, every week I post 7 things that I’ve learned from the previous week.)

So here are my 7 common things for this special Great Health Debate edition…

1. Eat plants first.

It doesn’t take a brain surgeon for any of us to understand this, but it’s amazing how many people don’t eat enough plant food in their diet.

All experts agree, we need to eat plants.

It is, and should be, the base of our diet.

Think like a vegetarian (doesn’t mean you have to be one) and you’ll be rewarded with good health.

If you don’t eat pounds of plant food every day, tread at your own risk.

2. Eat less meat.

I know, the Maasai and the Eskimos ate a lot of meat…

My question is are you an Eskimo or Maasai?

Probably not.

And if that’s the case, chances are your ancestral heritage ate a lot of plants.

What I’ve come to realize during this event, is that there are a lot of arguments that people use to justify their diet – on both sides!

Many of them don’t make as much sense when you hear them a few times.

This is one of them – “The Eskimo and Maasai eat meat, so that means we can or should as well.” (Or any variation of this statement.)

The reality is if you’re Asian, Japanese, from Central or South America, come from the Mediterranean area, Indian, or African your genetics are engineered to eat a lot of plants.

This doesn’t mean to not eat meat, that’s your personal choice, it means that even if you are omnivorous, your focus should be a plant-based diet first, animal food second.

Every long lived health expert I’ve interviewed eats more plants and less meat. Every single one.

Based on evidence from “The Blue Zones” we can see that the cultures that live the longest in today’s modern world have this in common as well.

More plants, less meat.

It’s a good mantra.

3. When you want to cleanse, you fast.

I think every expert will agree that if you want to cleanse you should fast in some way.

Whether the type of fasting is a raw food diet, juice fast, or water fast, it can be agreed that fasting is a valuable detoxification tool.

4. Avoid excess salt.

Some experts believe salt is something you should never take. Others feel it’s OK in moderation. Others take it all the time.

I’m going to bring my own research and knowledge into this discussion and say that the overwhelming evidence of salt intake on health is negative.

Many of the experts like Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Goldhamer, Dr. Williams, Charlotte Gerson and others share this opinion.

Maybe the most practical advice about salt is to not use it at home.

When you’re around other people or at dinner with friends, you can relax your rules.

This is what we’ve adapted into our lives and salt rarely is an issue – unless we eat something that is over salted.

Then our hands swell up, our blood pressure rises and we don’t want to eat salt again for a while, which is a good thing.

5. Eliminate processed foods – even the “healthy” ones.

I know you’re saying that you don’t eat processed foods, but what about those raw treats, or that vegan or whole cream ice cream?

Processed sugar (agave included), salt and other boxed foods are one thing that all native cultures do not have in their diet. So you shouldn’t have it either – organic, raw or whatever.

6. Know your food sources.

Whatever you eat, make it a point to get most of it at the farmer’s market or somewhere close to your home.

Knowing who grows your food allows you to trust your own personal food supply.

Buying food locally, also supports the move to bring food growers back into the community. This movement is our only hope to change the food system as we know it now and end monoculture and factory farming.

Leave the health box stores alone, you’re going to pay way too much for non-local produce and food.

7. You must exercise or you can forget about true health.

I’ve always felt that your exercise program is slightly more important that what you eat.

We can argue back and forth about this, but you can’t tell me that it’s not nearly as important – or slightly more as I assert.

If you’re not moving, you’re dying.

Exercise is one of your most potent detoxification systems.

Some people ask me from time to time about cleanses and pills to take to detoxify and I always ask if they exercise regularly.

If they don’t, I tell them that I know a way to detoxify that’s free – exercise.

It’s not a popular answer, but you can’t knock something that works.

Of all the experts, Mark Sisson is a great example of this. He looks great at 57 and exercises 5-6 times a week.

Want to look like Mark? Start a habit of exercising 5-6 times a week.

We’ll work on the diet after.

Those 7 aspects, I feel are some of the most telling from the event… do you have any others that you’ve gathered? Let us know on the blog here by leaving a comment!

Get The Entire Great Health Debate Call Package On Sale – 5 Days Only!

The Great Health Debate is over, but we’re going to be leaving up the Event Only special pricing of $49.95 until this Friday.

So this means, if you want to get all the calls to listen to at your leisure so you can learn and experience this incredible event, AND you want a discount, then you must do so by Friday night at 11:59 PM PST.

After this time, we will raise the price to reflect a number much closer to its true value.

Remember, if you were to attend an event like this, it would cost you hundreds of dollars. You’d pay for a plane ticket, a hotel room, meals and attendance fee.

On top of that, an event like this would never happen live, because no one would agree to speak. (Many wouldn’t agree to do so over the phone!)

So getting the calls and transcripts of this Event is a great deal.

Here’s where you can go to get the downloads now to have in your own personal library!

Also, we do have a money back guarantee, so if you feel they’re not valuable and don’t contain information you can use to improve your health, we’ll give you a complete refund.

Here’s where to go now…

1. Claudo says:

The one thing that we might also want to consider is in all the diets that were discussed their might be something in common that might be worth investigating furhter. That is they all seem to be based on getting the calories from one major macro nutrient. They are either getting their major calories from Protein or Carbs or fats. None of them really mix these marco nutrients much. The rules of 40,30,30 or 50.30,20 or any other combinations that try to balance the three acro nutrient are not followed in any of the diets that were discussed. Maybe the body can adapt and be helath on any one of these macro nutrients. Of coarse the first step in any diet is to chose the most high quality whole foods in whatever marco nutrient that is consumed. If we add lots of plant food with one of the marco nutrient then health improvement might occur no matter which marco mutrient is used as the major caloric intake.
    A great study would be to take three groups one to consume a High plant and High Protein diet one to consume a high plant and high fat diet and anotehr to consume a high plant and high carb diet and see how many people’s health improves in each of the groups. We already seem to have an indication that two of them seem to work with great success from the various institues who clam to have improved the lives of many people.

Something to think about.
    Claudio

2. Antonio says:

Thanks for organizing this event, that was brilliant ! You’re on it. One thing I would have added to your 7 lessons is EAT FERMENTED FOODS !! In my practice I always put digestion on top unless there is something acute going on … and even then … There is a food factory down there and you need to make sure someone is working in the factory.

All the best to you.

Antonio.

3. Laura says:

Kevin,
    You did such an excellent job and I feel have so much integrity and such a heart!! Thank you for doing what you do. Do know you are appreciated by one fan! I am fan of how you can write such wonderful conclusions and all of the other things you sum up. All the best to you and Anne Marie.

4. I just posted some of this and other stuff on yesterday’s blog but some of it really belongs here:

TAKE AWAY
    Eat whole unprocessed food, mostly plants, mostly raw, most of the time, a lot of greens, not too much nuts and seeds (or animal products if you use them). Watch your Omega 3?s and supplement B12 and D, and check your blood from time to time for anything else. Eat with mindfulness and listen to YOUR body for more specifics.

EXERCISE…..DANCE
    I am 56 and not quite as chiseled as Mark (see FB picture yesterday) but want to put in a plug for frequent dancing like no one is watching for joint health and fluidity. The big 3, resistance for muscular and bone strength, cardio for the heart, lungs, etc and stretching, yoga, etc, for flexibility are all enhanced by fluidity. Find an Ecstatic Dance group in your neighborhood.

VALENTINES DAY
    May we all be well and peaceful with huge hearts of thanks for all the work and effort that went into this program…….

5. Paul says:

Theres an unbelievable amount of wisdom and detail in all of these debates.
    Some of the key principles I think are important but perhaps overlooked which have come to light for me are:

* What works best for you now, may not be best always. Nature never does the same thing the same way twice. I’ve found this personally, for example going through transition foods or through a high seed and nut phase.

* Nearly all experts agree on bio-individuality – we are all different.

* Beware of “absolutes” – I used to take the China Study as completely correct and irrefutable (Being vegan has been an enormous help to me on my journey, and it was hard to listen to anything against it). Now that I’ve heard some respectful criticism of it, I still respect Colin T Campbell, and I think he was trying to make a clear simple consistent message out of confusing data, but he’s skipped over some of the truth.
    Any statement or any person with a 100% stance on something for all of us to my mind has to be suspect.

* Balance is important – we too easily think that if less of something is good for you, then none is better, and if some of something is good for you, more is better. Of course its easier to think like this, but we have to put in the consciousness and energy to notice when to reduce or eliminate something and when to increase it.

* Listen to your body

* Perspective – food isn’t everything, exercise, sunlight, sleep, reducing stress, and as Kevin says living your purpose and having awesome relationships are so important. If these things are okay, I believe your body can tolerate deviations from ideal eating much more easily.

So thanks again Kevin, theres a lot more I”ve taken from all the debates and I’m still working my way through. I’m glad I’ve bought the package.

Great Health to all
    Paul

6. Judy says:

Thank you SO much for this wonderfully informative and thought-provoking series of interviews! I enjoyed it very much.

I would add this 8th item to the great list you’ve provided here: each person is a unique individual, so each person’s health and nutritional needs are different. The last night of the debate touched on this issue. I think Dr. Williams talked about this the other day when discussing what the South American vs. Alaskan natives eat/ate. What works for one person might not work for the next.

Some factors to consider when deciding on one’s diet include ancestry (what did my own ancestors eat?), geography (what foods support me best in the climate where I live, and during varied seasons of the year?), health conditions (do I have any special needs based on health conditions or predispositions that I have?), etc.

Excellent point re: exercise. Mark Sisson’s blog (marksdailyapple.com) is really informative and fun to read–he’s an excellent writer and avid researcher–and he talks frequently about exercise there. Once a week on the blog he has a workout for the week. He also offers a great free ebook about exercise. The exercise program he recommends is rather specific and quite a bit different from conventional philosophies and approaches to exercise. From what I gather, he maintains such a great physique without being very obsessive or fanatical at all about exercise.

RE: salt, for certain people it can be a great health tool, especially if they have certain health conditions, such as adrenal fatigue, and only if the salt they consume is unrefined (unprocessed), such as Celtic salt. Dr. David Brownstein, whose information I trust a great deal, wrote the book Salt Your Way to Health. Celtic salt is a key component in his iodine protocol (see his excellent book Iodine: Why You Need It and Why You Can’t Live Without It–he says almost everyone is deficient in iodine these days, for many reasons).

Also Dr. James Wilson, whose information I trust a great deal as well, is considered one of THE key experts on adrenal fatigue. In his book, Adrenal Fatigue, he recommends salt, such as Celtic salt, as a critical component to recovery from adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue is rampant these days.

Thanks again to Kevin and all of the speakers for an excellent series of interviews!

Judy

7. Judy says:

P.S. I meant to say, along with what I said about how each person has unique, individual needs, that each person therefore needs to listen to his/her body to determine what those individual needs are. A person needs to employ some trial and error on the road to figuring out what diet is best for him/her. The interview on the last day of the debate talked some about this.

By the way, I just thought of something. What are the demographics of your listeners of interviews like this? Are they people who are really into health, nutrition, etc?

I ask because these messages and this info really, really needs to get out to the mainstream, to the people who don’t know much about diet and health or who don’t care about it. Once we get this info out the mainstream, to a high percentage of the population, only then can true, lasting, major and must-needed change happen that will revolutionize the health in society.

8. Susan says:

I must admit, I have had very mixed opinions about the “debates” that actually seemed to change daily. 🙂 What I will say is that I think you did an excellent job of summarizing the critical points. The only one I think you missed is the “one size does not fit all”.

Thanks for the effort.

9. Frank says:

Thanks for getting this out there to the public Kevin!

10. Sarah says:

What a fantastic health debate. I must admit, I felt confused at times during the week. But in the end I feel more clear about what I get to do to improve my health. Mike and Sean were perfect to end on. I have to say, they were my favorite to listen to. This couldn’t have come at a better time for me as I am starting my own practice as a Motherhood Wellness Consultant. I gathered much useful information. My hats off to you, Kevin, for doing such a superb job as an interviewer. I know you put a lot of time and effort into this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you have to offer this world. What a great gift this was.

Namaste’
    Sarah

11. SuperMom101 says:

What an amazing achievement! Congratulations.

Any thoughts on the movie Forks over Knives that will be released in May? Was fortunate to see the preview in Boston yesterday. The movie focuses on using a plant based diet to “treat” our “diseases of affluence.”

Ten years ago, I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer when I was only 38. Since then I haven’t consumed milk, butter, or cheese after reading Jane Plant’s book on breast/prostate cancer. (I still consume very small amounts of organic meat and eggs.)

Thanks again for keeping the discussion going in such a civilized and interesting format.

Best health always,

12. Nomi says:

Also I’ve long noticed that exercise is THE common denominator for health beyond expectation over diet. Can’t even tell you all the folks I’ve observed who eat JUST CRAZINESS (boil coffee in a used baked bean or soup can, just for the fun of it, every day, eat outdated packaged foods, favorite soup: rasher of bacon [that’s an entire pkg] including all the fat [2+” high in the frying pan], bring to boil add tons of fresh raw cut up tomatoes…bring sputtering and boiling to the table eat as soup, yes molten bacon fat is the ‘broth’)-This person rode his bike at least 20 miles a day, often more. Incredible survival rate and shape despite the diet. Could have lived longer but shocking really….it was the exercise…

Keep up the good work!

13. Bette says:

Listen to your own body!My own best health expert is me! yay!

Oh and I think it might be cool to see how these folks can all recognize what they individually bring to the world and then what all collectively bring. Thus no debate needed you see. ahhhhh.

How about everybody wins?!!!

14. Mary says:

I’m 64, but look 46… (even younger)
    1.) Eat for your blood type…this is Science! Dr. Peter D’Adamo
    2.) All or mostly Raw with Zero gluten… Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo
    3.) Earthing / Grounding… David Avocado Wolfe / Dr. Sinatra
    4.) No sugar… cancer needs it to survive
    5.) See the Chiropractor BEFORE the Medical Doctor for everything! laryngitis, heartburn, headaches, weight loss, depression / anxiety… absolutely everything!
    6.) Your body does its best healing between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. while you are sleeping.
    7.) Only 1 cup caffeine / day before 10 a.m.
    Pray, Sing, Dance, Love, Give, Be Grateful, Exercise in Nature, Love Animals… You know!

15. Tilly says:

Dear Kevin-

Thank you so much for having this great idea and going through all the hard work of realizing it-you have my full admiration.

I listened in to almost all the experts, and each one seems to be so convinced – it leaves me more determined to try out more of what suits me individually- though I really would have liked to hear Brian Clement.

I am in Berlin,Germany, and I am wondering-are there any others listening here?

I also really like the look of your website- kind of old schooly, and it worked very well for me on a mac.

Thank you so much for this week.

Love
    Tilly

16. cid says:

Thank you so much for this health debate. What an awesome job you did.
    Think you are right on,in your 7 common things.

Appreciate you and Annmarie so much.

17. Jense Anjali says:

The health week with you was quite a ride Kevin! I appreciated every night – even those that challenged me. Pretty cool idea that you had – and terrific execution!

I like your 7 take aways … they do seem to match the commonalities. I also remember a good majority of the speakers (maybe all??) saying that we are each individuals with individual needs – great message to come away with. Also liked the message about flexibility … being ready to change what you are doing when needed.

Thanks for your generosity and hard work! And thanks to AnnMarie for her work right along beside you! Bless . . .

18. HILARY says:

hi kevin,

i heard all the interviews, took notes and so appreciate your great efforts here. i have health issues and do not fall into the average person eating a sad diet. i have impeccable eating habits and don’t consume animal products at the moment due to high acid levels in the body. i am not improving due to digestive and liver problems so i would have loved to have listened to an expert on illnesses discuss some of the challenges that we face. i know this is a big topic but in the end, i am still at a loss for how to heal. i did however, learn alot and agree that we are all different and should never impose our eating habits on anyone unless they ask for help and even then, we must be willing to accept that one size definitely does not fit all. be open minded and willing to change course if what you are doing is not working.

19. myroadhome says:

Excellent job Kevin – this has been incredible. I am continually impressed with the work you both are doing. I am inspired. Thanks!

20. Most of the lectures / debates were about diet – not nutrition. That is, alot of talk about what to eat rather than plasma or cellular chemistry. Your chemistry is really your nutrition. And there is alot more to healthy nutrition than what you eat. It includes the air you breath, how you think, the types of exercise you use (aerobic, strength, flexibility, agility, balance, sport, etc.) your rest, and more. But maybe it was discussed more in the lectures I missed. I guess I’ll have to get the recordings.

21. Kevin, this was an awesome event. I must say, I’ve signed up for many a summit and NEVER before have listened to all the interviews during the event! I was riveted to hear each speaker and their perspectives.

My stance is biochemical individuality…what works for you just might be a disaster for me! Dogma gets us into trouble on all stances…religion, politics, food!!!

I loved how you could stay so neutral and non judgmental, never “arguing” with someone who you may not have agreed with. You always listened and questioned in a way that gave everyone the feeling that you were their ally.

Of all your speakers, I’d say there were only two who I did not hear the biochemical individuality theme from. They were the 2 most extremes on the opposite side of the animal vs vegan side of the fence. Both were very unaccepting of the opposite point of view and very high and mighty about theirs. I won’t name names…

It made me realize how hard it is to take someone seriously when they are not open to the possibilities in their “opponents” point of view. Listening to most of the speakers gave me so much to ponder and explore.

Thanks so Much, Kevin

With lots of love and gratitude

Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo

22. Ronna says:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you. What a wonderfule job you did this past week. We appreciate you greatly.

23. Carolyn Hill says:

I did really appreciate your Great Health Debate. HOWever, if you meant to include Sally Fallon in this last summary,you’ve mischaracterized her position, I believe, especilly in that comment about the Eskimos and the Maasai. AND your own stance did come through in your making plants the “base.” Partly right, partly not, in some people’s thoughts.

But thank you for all the work you did.

Carolyn

24. Marja says:

Thank you very much Kevin for all the work you did. I have listened to most calls and found them all very inspiring. I am a dutch woman living in France where it is very strange to be a vegetarian but fortunately there are good organic markets and high quality food.
    I like to add one point which is probably even more important than all the others:
    that is our spiritual being and alignment as it influences all the other levels, the mental, emotional and physical.

25. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

@Ritamarie: Yes, I wonder too about people not willing to listen to other opinions.

@Dr. Michael Haley: Yes, 100% correct. Diet is a small portion of the whole. Diet-centricity does not make a healthy person. I know from experience. 🙂

@Carolyn: I was not calling out anyone at all in these last 7 points. If you heard something, I didn’t write it. Many people use the Maasai and Eskimos as examples. I think they’re a poor argument for eating meat There are better. 🙂

26. DavidM says:

Kevin, I respect you as an individual and health advocate, however to say exercise is more important than diet is just incorrect and dangerous advice. I know of no major nutritionist that believes or teaches this (do you?) and I listen to almost all the top nutritionists and get their newsletters. It is true that without exercise you cannot be in real optimal health and that exercise is a MAJOR tool for health that everyone should utilize.

Consider a person who does not exercise. I dont mean they sit on the couch all day, but no special exercise program, who has a perfect diet – raw or lightly cooked, organic, superfoods, herbs, fats, etc, whose vitamin D levels are high, who is well mineralized, loaded with antioxidants, well hydrated, supplying the body with every nutrient it needs and is not deficient in anything and who consumes no toxic substances. A diet and lifestyle (minus exercise) that creates a near perfect internal body chemistry. And then consider a person who eats highly processed foods, loaded with rancid fats, chemicals, denatured proteins, etc and lots of sugar, deficient in vitamin D, deficient in vitamins, deficient in minerals, dehydrated, but exercises heavily 5-6 days a week. Who will live longer and healthier? Who is more likely to be overweight? Who is more likely to develop degenerative disease, like cancer? I know plenty of overweight unhealthy people who exercise all the time. The fact is that exercise cannot compare with the importance of diet, not even close.

Exercise does NOT feed the body its nutrients, it does not give the body its building blocks for proper internal function, it does almost nothing to prevent deficiencies (like minerals), but diet and high quality supplements do.

For example, I know you have had problems with dairy. You could never have solved that problem with exercise, only diet. When you stop consuming the dairy, exercise or not, the issues cleared up. This is a simple example that has far reaching implications. Almost all physiological issues come from imbalances and toxins in the body, which can never be corrected by exercise. Exercise will usually help ( a lot in some cases ), but it will not help nearly as much as fixing the diet.

I think maybe you should consult other nutrionists about this and not spread this kind of misinformation. Exercise is great, and I strongly advocate it as a vital part of optimal health, but the problem with the health of Americans has much more to with toxic dietary and environmental problems than a lack of exercise.

I love and respect you, but had to speak up. I wonder how healthy Mark Sisson would be if his diet was horrible and his environment toxic?

27. Lou says:

Kevin—A job well done!!! Thank you. Do include the need to avoid sugars and especially artificial sweetners

28. Lourdes says:

Kevin, your idea was the best ever, and your timing was perfection.
    I am a 73 yr. old lady with my ancestors coming from Northern Spain (cold weather), migrated to Cuba (tropical weather) where I was born, and now lived (after Castro) in Las Vegas, Nv. (desert / hot weather).
    How can I take all this and figure what to eat?
    For the last 4 months I have been trying to change my diet, after listening to a CD from Steve Wynn about turning vegan, and since I have health issues, overweight, high blood pressure and the sugar a little elevated (120) I decided to give it a try, I have been studying everything I can find out about how to do it, so this came at the perfect time.
    You are right on your 7 points, but I would add a couple more, one is very important I think, is listen to your body, because it will let you know in no certain terms, and the second is to paid to your state of mind, because if you are unhappy or worried and you eat, that is not going to sit well in your stomach. So try to connect mind, body and spirit, and you have the perfect combo for a great health, in my humble opinion.
    Thanks for a great Debate.

29. Thanks for putting this event together Kevin. It was awesome and gave me lots of ideas to work from.

30. Lena says:

Awesome conclusions, Kev! I didn’t listen to every single person all the way through, but I spent lots of time at my computer listening (part of it ouside enjoying the sunshine). I’d like to write a quick summary of the conclusions I made for myself as far as some specific practices I took away:

1. Daily green juicing for alkalizing and mineralizing. It also goes right along with what Matt Monarch wrote in his recent newsletter about eating highly absorbable food on empty stomach first thing in the morning and throughout the day.

2. Lots of experts seem to thrive on high fat diet. I’ve already tried low fat high fruit approach and I had a few difficulties. I definitely craved fatty foods in the process! Would love to try a high fat raw approach for a month as opposed to moderately fat high starch approach I’m doing now (no gluten dairy, etc.)As a side note, I still think that people can thrive eating a moderate amount of fruit and that it’s unfortunate that fruit get thrown into the same category as grains most of the time as well as processed sugar. I noticed that high fruit guys are incredibly physically active, especially in endurance sports. They emphasize it as a key to the diet, so maybe that’s the key there and also eating it separately from your fat.

3. I loved the message of listening to your body and taking into consideration your nutritional type! Even Dr. Mercola said that you can thrive without meat. When it’s all said and done, who is going to be able to tell how you do on a particular diet in comparison to how you would do on another one? Only you. Plus, lots of people thrive on some transitional foods, that perhaps years into their health journey they would then start avoiding.

Great health event, the best even!

31. Correna says:

I really don’t think that anything else be added to a heap full of already valuable information!
    Thank you for all your efforts Kevin in bringing this to the table. There are many things to consider when dealing with our own health. Well done!

32. Paula Miller says:

Thank you so much, Kevin, for caring enough to put The Great Health Debate on for us! It is a big start to educating people concerning taking charge of their health. This is truly a monumental task! I am keenly aware of how what I eat and whether or not I exercise affects my health. If one doesn’t feel good, life is not good…period! Our food supply is poisoned by people who are greedy for money and those who make even more money off of sick people (conventional medicine, chemo, pharmaceuticals, etc.). It’s amazing to me how many people I know think what they eat on a regular basis is actually food and then wonder why they get sick! I only hope that I can be an example by actually following these principles so others will want to know what I am doing to stay healthy. That is a key, living the lifestyle so others SEE! Again, I really appreciate your dedication to helping all of us gain knowledge and understanding to pass on. God Bless you and Annemarie!

33. Debbie Dise says:

Wow, what an inspiring week of dedicated leaders in the wellness industry. The participates all reminded me of a flower garden, each contributing their own beauty and essence from years of experience, growth and discipline. Their collective wisdom and energy were a true blessing for all to hear and ponder. My heart is full of gratitude for this wonderful experience. The inner teacher, found in Silence will guide the way for us all.
    Peace Be to All!

34. durianrider says:

Kev makes some valid points on the importance of exercise for detoxification/all round health.

35. lisa says:

Kevin….You are amazing! Hope you feel the love and gratitude from everyone in your audience.

Mindfulness, being aware of the present moment, the process of eating, moving, breathing…its all in perfect flow. Knowledge is everyting and I am grateful for your sharing.

36. Jen says:

I tried to post but I guess the gremlins ate it.

“My question is are you an Eskimo or Maasai?”

I’m not an Eskimo. It’s true. I’m also not a Whale or a Gorilla or whatever other animals we’re often compared to for ‘optimal health’

Both examples (Eskimo and animals) do little for expanding my knowledge. I’m trying to find out what is best for *ME* – the Non-Eskimo, Non-Chimp.

I really appreciate all your hard work putting this together. It was great to listen to. Thanks Kevin!

37. In response to Hilary and others,
    We also need to remember that our emotional health plays a part in our physical health. I found a wonderful site: http://www.livingFoodsInstitute.com in which they teach you more about raw foods but also offer a variety of additional services that might help release the digestive and liver challenges in your body.
    Blessings…

38. yellowillow says:

Tilly
    4:04 pm on February 14th, 2011

Dear Kevin-

I am in Berlin,Germany, and I am wondering-are there any others listening here?

Thank you so much for this week.

Love
    Tilly

hej tilly look for germanygoesraw and berlingoesraw

39. Jen says:

Thank you for organizing this all, Kevin.

I like your summaries along with some of the other commenters (like Paul at #5 – I had many of the same thoughts). Some of the ADDITIONAL points most of your experts seemed to be in agreement on include (and sorry if others have mentioned already):

– Limit / avoid soy and gluten
    – Get good quality water
    – Grow as much of your own food as possible
    – Forage wild food where you can
    – Some foods can’t be digested well when eaten raw. Other foods have greater benefits when eaten raw than cooked
    – Recognize that what you buy and how you eat (and what you DON’T buy and eat) has an impact on economics, environment and politics
    – You have a responsibility to investigate and take charge of your own health. This is especially true for people who want to have and raise children

I would love to hear many of these experts discuss the issues in a civil head-to-head debate. I think it’s important for educated people to refute / better explain some of these details on the spot.

Again – thanks, Kevin!

40. theduder says:

durianrider and kev gianni good buds now?? i sure hope so!

41. Louise Faith says:

First, Thanks so much for the care & work you & Annemarie gave to us with these presentations : ) What follows are not so much comments re the ‘debates,’ but thoughts re what I’d also like to have addressed. which you may have addressed, as I am new to your site/blog. 1. Words re diets for expectant parents, as the primitives do. 2. Practical ideas for those who have to ‘live low on the hog’ meaning on limited income, yet eat/be healthy. 2. What energy/detox tools may help when ‘good food’isn’t available, like takes on Dynapro, ATTI Tachyon tools, PEP purple energy plates, Springlife polarity pillows, Miracle 2 & probably others, that clain with use, better health can be gained/maintained. Thanks again for work well done!

42. Thanking you for the debate. Interested to see if the blood type diet can be addressed. And,can we get that specific? To see the evolution of genetic/familia inheritance? MachaXXX

43. Sharon says:

I don’t know why we look back in history at health. People back a few decades or centuries ago lived in a completely different world. This is now. That was then.

We live in an invisible sea of radiation and chemicals that are ingested via air, water, food, soap and vehicles to mention a few major sources. We wear tight clothes made of artificial fibers (not all of us!), we wear shoes indoors and out, we are exposed to medications via water or shedding of people who vaccinate. We are often vaccinated from birth or even in the womb by people who didn’t know better.

There is far more to health than just food and diet. We need to eat the least toxin-free food possible, protect ourselves from the sea of radiation we live in which leave us in an acidic state (makes the salt issue seem like a joke), connect to the earth and nature, be happy in our relationships, get rid of clutter and junk that clogs up our life whether that be emotional vampires or literal dollar store knickknacks. Of course we need to exercise. Do we all need to look like Mark? I don’t think so but I could live happily in a world with men like that!

Let’s live in peace with each other no matter what others choose to eat. Educate others kindly about the torture of SOME animals so that people will eat LESS of this stuff but don’t throw a violent vegan theology at them. It can’t work. Love rules over fear or guilt. Offer options. Invite your friends over for a vegan meal. Introduce some fermented foods as a small side-dish. Give. Don’t demand that others conform to your will.

Thanks for putting this together Kevin (and Annmarie for putting up with him during this time, LOL). Much appreciated. I hope some of your listeners will be motivated to join the Inner Circle and hear loads more of your wonderful interviews with health experts.

44. daissi99 says:

Provoking perspectives. Perhaps ‘discussion’ rather than ‘debate’ may be more suitable. I think the Hippocrates diet has documentedly proven itself over 50 years, the body loves it and it is highly ethical. Kevin says he doesn’t believe much in science, but never really explains his theory fully. I share Dr. Tuttle’s passion, people are so numb they need to hear the passion to make a freakin’ imprint on their soul when they are at the butchers.

45. Tim says:

I have listed to all but the last night. It has been fantastic – but also very disturbing to me. In fact, I am thrown into complete mental disarray by all I’ve heard. I found every speaker utterly convincing, and yet many contradicted the others completely. I wish we could have heard from John Robbins, John MacDougall, and Jameth Sheridan as well.

I have been a vegetarian since 1988 and a near vegan for the last 4 years. I exercise a lot and my health and energy are great. And yet I find myself doubting vegetarianism after listening to the speakers. The anti-vegetarians did a shockingly good job of supporting their views. Since I’ve heard all the vegetarian arguments for years, I didn’t hear anything new there, but I was caught by surprise at a lot of the anti-veg arguments.

Like I say, I am shaken right now. I haven’t heard many others claim this, so maybe it’s just my unique response. Still, I think you put together a great series, Kevin, and the quality of the information was incredible.

46. rick says:

Read sometime back that most folks pre-WW1 in the US ate very little meat-that the GIs learned to eat it regularly cause the meat packers got into the Army diet big-time. By the time WW11 came along eating meat in the US was still not a everyday thing for many people..the GI’s came to expect it every day..a ‘learned process’ due to the meat producers.

If we are indeed all part of the Quatum Field-all a part of the Oneness of the Universe- how is it that we are all so different.? Seems as if we all ‘need’ most of the same things re vits, minerals, enough carbs, protein, & fats to nourish /maintain health in balance.

I’d be curious to read where any legit sicence has established that the amino acids that make up plant protein are different than the amino acid ‘protein’ in animals. Read several places how the animal protein takes much longer to breakdown and assimulate than the plant version-which seems to have something to do with bowel cancer rates in meat eaters.

This business of being ‘different’ and needing different food seems to me like the ego at work perhaps. Anyone that is willing to kill & dress their own animals are welcome to eat whatever they want- but I would question their reasons based on science.

47. Esther says:

An awesome job, Kevin. This week of interviews with a great array of people was worth every minute. I listened to most of them at the time and also purchased the upgrade so look forward to going over a few times to get every bit of info.
    Thanks for every video etc that you do. I enjoy all of them.

48. Mary says:

Water! Water quality is key since it makes up such a large percentage of our body. I think that should be the 8th item you add to your list! It seemed like almost everyone mentioned, at some point during their interview, the importance of this 🙂

Thank you for putting this great event on for us!
    Mary

49. Ruth says:

if we were to look at all the do’s
    they would be best to rest
    on a bed of spiritual beliefs
    that lay the foundation for all mankind
    thereby creating positive thoughts ->
    positive emotions ->
    positive environment.
    ok, now pick up your fork 🙂

thanks Kevin and A Marie
    you make an awesome team 🙂
    all the blessings to you for this A1 gift

50. Deb says:

THANKS … gratitude! … Deb – Australia.

51. Dan says:

Thank you so much for putting this together. I can’t imagine how much work it must have taken to get all of these experts together, and then to have to orchestrate the entire event in such a short time frame.

I learned a great deal, and my current diet was often challenged.

Well done!

52. Bijou says:

Hey Kevin Great great debate! I loved it so much. THANK YOU! It answered a lot of questions I had about how the raw health food industry works. It was amazing to listen in while two respected doctors, Mercola and Cousens discussed important issues and hear for myself what they really thought and I especially loved Dr. Tuttle’s lecture on the animals right to enjoy life. Very touching and informative.

The one issue that keeps coming up is whether or not animal flesh should be a part of ones diet and I think they are two completely separate issues. Diet is not the same thing as talking about killing animals. They are two completely separate issues and and it’s hard to have them in the same conversation. We could very well argue that because many cannibals exist or dietary issues, one should consider cannibalism and yet no one I know who will eat farm animals would be open to it that goes without saying really and yet it may provide many keys to health and healing but I think many of us would gladly do without and are determined to find other ways of existing without having to go that route even if it were done humanely. I think that is the point Dr. Tuttle was trying to make and many vegans struggle with when hearing from others that diet is somehow a priority that should dictate to us whether we should kill or not rather than asking ourselves the same question as with cannibalism, is eating animals really an option? For animal lovers it is not an option and I find it quite painful to hear peoples comments including yours above, discussing such things as I would if we were discussing any other act of animal or human cruelty, violence or neglect.

Even if the animals are being raised well, and then being killed, I have an issue with that, that some meat eaters seem to forget. I have friends that are animals, my urge to protect them from pain is a natural response as much as you would not want to see someone kick their puppy even in an iphone app that was taken down. It causes discomfort in humans. It’s not only traumatic for the animals, it’s very traumatizing to us who are empathetic towards the animals. As a mother, I feel such pain to know that perhaps some “humanely” raised animal was separated from it’s family against it’s wishes to be sold to a “humane” farm to be slaughtered. Animals have relationships with each other, some are just as important to them as our relationships are to us.

I do not however have a problem with foraged eggs or milk if their is such a thing or animals that have died accidently or euthanized for humane reasons. I live in nyc across the street from a restaurant that serves human breast milk cheese, yes human from the owners wife. I’ve never had it only tasted my own breast milk 20 yrs ago.

Sadly we are not talking about these options and in order to have an honest discussion on the topic of eating animals or not you have to take a look at humans first. We are meant for human milk not cows, all of us into the raw foods movement regardless of our differences are a little more courageous than most folks and seeking the truth. In seeking the truth, we need to think outside of the box, and brainstorming would be a good thing at this time rather than just rehash the same old argument over about whether we are “meant” to eat meat or not. The real question is how can we do without stealing life from our friends. I am not talking about bugs that one cannot avoid stepping on or parasites that we kill in our body. I am talking about animals that can recognize us, empathize with us, share emotion with us and learn to trust us. That is something no one should ever have to betray to survive when we have so many options available to us. We are all in this together are we not?

53. Jan Kent says:

Wonderful,wonderful , wonderful is all I can say to these debates. Thank you sooooooooo much for all the effort. I am 73 and eat as well as possible as a vegetarian and get my b12 from yeast extract. I grow and juice sprouted seeds and wheatgrass and I LOVE green smoothies. I have so enjoyed this week. Bless you and Anne Marie. I feel you are my friends.I am very much against factory farming. I live in Scotland UK and look out over the most beautiful countryside imaginable and how awful it would be if I looked and saw no cows grazing in the fields. I am NOT vegan but do hate any abuse of animals in any way.
    Love & Light & Blessed be…Jan

54. Sue says:

Regarding exercise – very important but should say that Mark doesn’t kill himself exercising. He does specific types of exercises and its not a chore but involves play also. He wouldn’t recommend say marathon running.

55. Marymouse says:

First I wish to thank Annmarie for giving up time with Kevin so he could create and develop this week-long conversation!! I listened to them all and enjoyed each one immensely. So great! I hope that next time there will be more time spent on discussing:
    1) Food combining.
    2) Which foods are essential to supplement for Vegans.
    3) The idea that we’re evolving rapidly as Humans (DNA)- going to 5th dimension, & why eating certain foods is important.
    4) How often to eat eggs/fish if doing so.
    5) Interviews with Ronnie & Minh, Lou Corona & others who have been Raw/Vegan for a long time.
    6) Aruyvedic approach.
    Thank you so much for providing this for us all Kevin!! oxox

56. Jean says:

Raw meat eaters—was that covered in any of the dialogue?

I missed a few nights, but know several people who eat almost no veggies but do juice green veggies, fruit that is not ripe to get the enzymes, no salt, no water, raw milk items and raw meat of all kinds including eggs. These folks look every bit as good if not better than any of the vegans I’ve seen in this program or in my neighborhood. One fellow doesn’t exercise and has muscles abounding. Amazing!

I believe the Eskimos ate the seal blubber uncooked, and certainly the Masai did not cook.

So is the key to eat raw foods whether plant or animal based, and just don’t cook anything?

Food for thought.

P.S. I thought the Vegan speakers sounded agitated, cynical and unhappy. I also see these personality traits in folks not getting animal fat. Not sure if they can help this by upping some other fat like coconut or Avocado, though one speaker was eating a dozen a day and didn’t seem to help.

57. Klaudius says:

It was a crazy week for me.
    Never thought that there can be such polarity of opinions out there.
    Still feel a bit overwhelmed from all this contradictions.

Fully agree on the importance of exercising.
    At least half a year I have tried to improve my speed and endurance in sports (ultra-marathon preparation training) by going raw and away from diary and meat following the David Wolfe philosophy that “you are what you eat” cutting at the same time back my training volume, but I failed to progress.

Another own experience from three years of high volume endurance training (I had started being 48 years old in order to improve my health, especially the mental one) consists of the insight that on a vegan diet I was able only to improve my endurance, but I wasn’t able to improve my running/biking/swimming speed (eating meat again solved that problem for me).

I mean to know that for achievement of good health and vitality are also very important:
    # psychic health (getting rid of trauma, unhealthy believes) required to be able to fully relax (meditate) and regenerate fast from fatigue
    # appropriate pattern of body movement required for moving around with ease (issues with posture and full control of muscle contraction/relaxation for ALL muscles)

I suppose also that
    # reduction of exposure to electromagnetic smog (e.g. from cell phones, some modern low energy consumption light bulbs, etc.)
    # reduction of exposure to cosmic rays (present especially at high altitudes and during flights)
    might be of vital importance for health and longevity.

Hoping that my comment adds value to this health debate I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Kevin Gianni for putting it all together and ALSO to all of YOU who contributed by writing valuable comments describing own personal experience.

🙂

58. joy says:

Yeah great work Kevin, you did a great job organizing this. I am intereested in the blood type diet, as my brother’s family are all type A and do real good on a soy diet naturally. my mom being Type O does well on meat diet. Me for Blood Type B well i’m stickin to veg diet with some dairy as the raw dairy really makes me feel good inside, that is my raw yogurt i make.

59. Marj says:

Judy: good question about the demography of the listeners. I was actually hoping that this debate was going to reach a bigger audience to create a global awareness and a much healthier planet with all this useful information. Here’s what could have happened: there would be a higher conscious awareness of the choices that we can take to live a longer, healthier, spiritual, happy life with less health problems, less drugs to take, less visit to doctors, just imagine all the wonderful possibilities. We are in this planet together and we deserve good and wise choices to improve and to consume better produce or meat or dairy or whatever your own body’s needs are. We shouldn’t be sold products that destroys our bodies in short or long term. Foods loaded with chemicals and YOU know all the other crap. We are waking up and we are asking to be heard. Kevin, you have open the doors to a healthier future for humanity. I am so happy that you know your purpose in life. Go big, KEV. We are behind you.
    Much love and light in your path

60. Dianne says:

I am 56 and was vegetarian from the age of 18 to 28. In my second pregnancy I felt the need to eat fish & chicken a few time weekly. I have kept this up. Due to some major life stresses, even though I ate well, took supplements, juiced and sprouted my health suffered.
    A few years back I saw a doctor of Chinese medicine for 6 months, took herbs at that time, still am taking cordyceps and feel much improved. My kidney energy was deficient causing hypothyroidism.
    I am a great believer in food as medicine and so trying to understand the Chinese food system for a western diet is not easy and through internet research I came upon a book titled : “Recipes for Self-Healing”, author Daverick Leggett. I purchased it through Redwing Publishing. It is amazing as the author uses foods that we are familiar with and explains many health problems and how to use food to support the body. I take my greens, make sprouts, juice and listen to my body. Some days I can eat alot of raw food and other not. I am much improved and this book and the cordyceps are worth their weight in gold!
    Many thanks for this great info. It would be great to have some interviews with some herbalists :
    Dr. Richard Schulte, George Lamoureux, etc…I have a friend who is a herbalist and continue to consume herbs (Canada).

61. Susan says:

I found the debates interesting and useful. I myself am a middle ot the road person and so I feel i am in the minority here. What we all need to do is not just to eat real food and not “food like substances” but we need to contact our representatives in congress and let them know how we feel about having the choice of eating organic wholesome food instead of the dangerous GMO’s that the FDA is constantly giving their approval to. This I believe ia a very important thing that was not discussed enough in the debates.
    The FDA is siding with huge corporations in giving them permission approval on patents for their GMO versions of plants that they require the farmers to use their pesticides on when they buy the seeds. This is the real problem for all of us because these pesticides are getting inot our soil, our air and our water and is also threatening the organic farms andd farmers who are trying to do the right thing. If everyone who listened to these debates, regardless of what side they support, would take this threat seriously and fight the FDA and large corporations from “owning” our food supply we would all be better off. Let’s put our time and energy into something useful like fighting for real food as nature made it and not with eachother over which “diet” stle is best.
    Another suggestion is that each of us has the ability to tune in to and ask our bodies what is best on a daily basis by the use of muscle testing. this is a technique I learned that I have been using very successfully. I ask my body if a food is good for me and get a yes or no answer. At first I was skeptical but after using it for a few months I have found that my body has been helping me decide and when I don’t listen to the answers I get, that is when I have stomach issues.

62. Sonja says:

Sean and Mike made some great points today and represented a sound and conscientious way of looking at this debate. Good way to close. Thanks again Kevin for this gift! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours. ?

63. Isabel says:

I think Stress Management cannot be left out. I’d say it is the number one most important factor to achieve health and longevity. Knowing one’s life agenda, being organized with one’s thoughts and actions, and having the discipline to maintain emotional balance on a regular basis are key to a successful longevity program.

64. Mary Dicerni says:

Dearest Kevin, I am 78 and cannot believe how much I have learned in these debates. I have always been religious about vitamins and supplements, am not vegetarian, but often chew and spit out the meat I buy. It is usually AAA, but I have no idea what they are fed. I now know not to ever eat any meat that is not fed grass. My brain is still confused about eggs etc, I am not even very hungry this week. I feel full.. and am drinking teas. What I am stuck with is a total of 70 pounds gained on sleep medication,( an anti depressant), and have over 30 still to lose. The drugs we are given for blood pressure, (atenolol) made me gain 10 pounds first week, and caused terrible swelling of ankles. I am not sure if we can mention the drugs, so delete the name if necessary. The Mirtazapine I was given caused 50 pound gained, and I was totally unaware because I am tall, always good posture, and have 3 hernias,which I thought were getting larger, as it was mostly in the abdomen.. visceral fat, I now know. How can we get more info to mostly women with these ruptures and diastasis, when you cannot exercise, They are often on the same drugs I had, and will not give them up, not aware they are causing the weight gain. I went to the page where they list drugs that cause weight gain, and they are there.. I quit the drugs, all pills, and am trying hard to lose in a healthy way. The pills really did not help, and caused a healthy person to lose all quality of life. How can we cover the problems of weight gain through prescriptions. I found female physicians not in agreement with giving these pills out. The males all said they were safe.. It makes the male physicians in this area look uninformed, but I believe it is the money and greed from big pharma that convinced them somehow to give it to most women. It makes you crave fats because it probably reduces or destroys good cholesterol; or all cholesterol, or the HDL which carries the cholesterol to good places.
    I felt I HAD to have a big bag of chips in the house at all times, or 2 or 3 bags.. Also chocolate had to be in several shapes and sizes.
    Butter was high on the list. I felt I must be in need of something, and took a bunch of flax seed oil pills daily. Whenever I wanted fat, I took a pill of flax. I am telling you because many people may be suffering this as well. If your cheeks feel smooth and silky, you have enough omega. If you crave these fats, it may be your pills, or just enough bad fas will do the same damage. It becomes a vicious cycle and destruction. When unaware, you end up in a disastrous situation with a hundred extra pounds very easily. I gained it all over a snowy winter, and I was very dopey on the Mirtazapine, even though I took it at night, it was active still the next day..
    After 2 weeks on the flax, and no drugs, I hated the taste of chips.
    My poor brain was demanding the fat and I kept eating the wrong fats. I hope there is at least one person who learns from my abuse by physicians. ( they are thinking of giving the M drug to kids with ADHD, nd people in mental in mental institutions) There may be more obesity soon, if they do. I believe the big obesity epidemic is partly from drugs that take you out for french fries and other chips.
    Now when I am hungry and need SOMETHING, not sure what, I eat some salmon or sardine, and no more hunger.
    Thank you so very much for all the work it took to make such a successful and informative program. My problem was to lose weight, but when it is created by such a weird thing as a pill, you have no concept as to how to lose it.. I will certainly be much more aware of the foods I buy, and will enjoy much more now. God bless you both. mary

65. Space Walk Traveller says:

First a really big thanks to Kevin for doing this and also all the other work he does on the renegade health show, what a star.
    It has been really interesting to hear all these different opinions. Just finished listening to Charllote Gerson and Collin Campbell and what a great way to end a great program. If you look at the people who deal with patients with cancer, Dr. Goldhammer, Charlloet Gerson they all advocate a strict vegetarian diet. Look up Dr. Brian Clements on Youtube and he also deals with the sickest people on earth and he is a strong advocate of vegan diet. I’m sick on people saying that no society has ever been total vegan, well no society as ever lived in an environmental cesspit in the whole of history like we have either. To say this is how primitive people live and this is how we should live is not comparing apple with apples. We live in a very different society and world than any society on Earth has ever lived. One thing we are good at is adapting and vegetarianism is the way of the future.

66. Jenifer says:

Thank you for great conversation regarding diet.

A couple of comments:

The cultures/tribes whose diets have been studied are healthy people whether eating animals and/or plant based diets. And as discussed, a conclusion of environment, genetics, happiness, all plays a role. But, it seems to me, also, that the consistency in the daily eating of these same foods these cultures/ tribes eat must play a huge role in their health as well.
    Is eating a wide variety of fruits/ vegetables (even meats) not optimal?

I am also interested in the study of supplements, the study of their benefit. I have never taken supplements but have just recently wanted the assurance of B12 and other vitamins and minerals. I am a ‘natural’ vegetarian/ vegan (on my own, never wanted any meat or dairy since birth) and the debates actually made me really believe that humans could use small amounts of animal protein for ideal health ( a lot of proof in needing B12). Unfortunately, I would have to do some major brain overhauling to put any type of meat/egg to my mouth.
    Am I sacrificing my health because I have an incredible adversity to eating meat?

Last, for people changing their diet for health, it would be great to read and hear more about the time it takes to see improvement and encouragement to stay at it without that immediate gratification. I’ve been trying to clear my skin for years with a ‘healthy’ diet. Obviously doing something wrong. Too bad there isn’t one perfect diet :).

Thanks so much.

67. Shirley de Kock says:

Hi Kevin
    I think you deserve a well earned break. I thank you for the most wonderful gift you have so generously shared. Karmically, this can only bring you peace, happiness and contentment.
    Shirley

68. Elaine says:

There are so many great comments here but two of your listeners, Nomi and Deb, said exactly what I would like to say, only better than I could have said it so I am going to quote them to remind you….

Quoting Nomi
    “Has anyone stopped today and told you that you are brilliant? I know this and I know that Annmarie knows this (and she’s a shining star in her own right) and probably most of your readers too. You are brilliant in many ways..in having the foresight to put this together in the first place…in being astute enough to know what questions to ask; and in your boil it down to the facts way of being able to take a lot of complex material and put it out there in a way that just about anyone can understand it. Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant. Thank you Kevin!”

And Deb
    “O Kevin & Annemarie! What a gift! What a scintillating week! Your: loving hearts, energy, committment, vision, generosity & dogged hard work; your skillful, intelligent, wise & easy-going facilitation, being that fulcrum of balance, that helped to unfold the bigger picture so we could grasp, if we wanted to, the commonalities, diversities, and unique applicabilties; and … your magnanimity … so appreciated. It is not the end of this particular “great health debate”, you have started something that will ripple wide, far and for a long time.”

“Ah, chuckle … the diversity of the height, breadth, depth, space & plane of environmental states, evolutionary states and consciousness states – the complexity of unity in diversity – which means it is a progressive & individual journey for each one. One size never fits all, and the size that fits rightly for one, is only for a time. Life demands we always stay open, questing, progressive, playful and adventurous – a soulness you seem to have in bucketloads!”

And finally in my own words…
    I purchased the upgrade before the event even started because I had a feeling it would be awesome (as it was) and I didn’t want to miss anything. I could not believe how timely this was as I was in the midst of trying to answer these questions for myself to deal with health issues. It’s like you heard my plea for help and answered me…this was worth much more than the cost of the upgrade and that you offered it for free is just mind-blowing generosity.

Much love and gratitude to you and Annmarie for the incredible gift. Now I wish you some much-deserved rest!

69. Thank you so much Kevin for this event (and AnnMarie), I respect you even more now. I can’t imagine how difficult and how much hard work you have put in to this to make it happen! Both tumbs up to you 😀
    I have not heard so much of the debate, only an hour total, since I have had so much to do this week, but I have bought the Great Health debate so I will listen to everything soon 😀
    Thank you again!!!

70. Chris says:

First i would like to say the whole event has been great and very eye openning.
    I notice in this blog you mention exercise and Mark Sisson. This is something which was not talked about during the talks a lot as they mainly focused on health. I wondered if diet would change depending on exercise, obviously we all need to eat more fresh plant foods but if you are trying to put on some muscle tissue experts suggest anywhere between 1 and 2 pounds of protein per pond of bodyweight per day for superior results. Obvioudsly you can get protein from nuts and avacados etc but you would need to eat a huge amount to reach the numbers suggested for gaining lean muscle tissue. I wonder whether this is where a little more meat is a good thing due to its nutrient density. What are peoples thoughts?
    Finally i would just like to second the opinion of many others over the week that just because you have a certain opinion doesnt mean you cant listen to and respect other people’s. I think if we use issues/points brought up by all the speakers and listen to our bodies as we eat, our diets will match our own biochemical individuality and we wont go far wrong.

71. Samantha W. says:

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! I am in complete awe of this 411~palooza. I purchased the package before I even tuned in and have to say it exceeded my expectations~ just the first night alone…yowza!! I can’t wait to share it with everyone I know. It’s a total universe elevator!
    I really appreciate the way in which (almost)everyone came forward and spoke their truth in a mindful manner. I agree with other posts that the last night was really the pinnacle~such a great exchange of energy between Mike, Sean and Kevin.
    I have to note, and I say this with “Nourishing Traditions” sitting on my bookshelf, that Sally Fallon majorly creeped me out. Her dismissive attitude toward factory farming was really disturbing. These animals would suffer more in the wild-what in the World??!??
    It also struck me as noteworthy when T. Colin Campbell pointed out that while indivduals may feel great employing certain practices, it is not necessarly an accurate indication that it is ultimately working, from a health perspective. I felt great subsisting on copious amounts of coffee and baked goods- active, fit and feeling fabby. But at some point, I had to get conscious to the fact that I had been lucky and that these practices were probably not serving my long term vitality.
    I think Mike Adams really said it all when he expressed the power of this medium as an unstoppable tool for awareness. This compelling series has definitely deepened my sense of empowerment: Information + Inspiration= Transformation!!;)

**INFINITE GRATITUDE**

72. Ann says:

This was a most impressive event….the summarising of which is a good ground for continuing the exchange. People’s experiences over the years are very valuable. It’s interesting though how many of us start our journey because of ill health…our own; family; friends. In my case it was also in a 35 year search for a natural way to balance my son’s bio-chemistry….he has Asperger Syndrome.
    Dr Mercola seems to seems to have looked into most aspects of health and his website provides a very balanced approach to all this.
    So…a heartfelt thanks to him and to you Kevin, for all the work and committment, and hopefully joy in what you do.
    Ann
    Dublin, Ireland
    ps Amen to the man who says …let’s all get dancing!
    pps Thanks for providing the written format…on behalf of all who have hearing problems.

73. Peter says:

“All experts agree, we need to eat plants.
    It is, and should be, the base of our diet.”

Lots of plants, yes. But for certain not those that are high in sugars, starches, and carbs.
    And you should eat them with fat, so they get digested better.
    The body is running most efficiently on ketons (burning fats). Especially in winter. I wouldn’t recommend eating fruits in high volumes (fructose is going to give you the runs), its better to eat fermented vegetables together with some grassfed meat. That’s the way it’s meant to be consumed.

74. eleni says:

I believe it was an excellent and time consuming
    information session and I read all messages
    from people who listen to the debates.
    I myself wasn’t fortunate to listen to any of them for some reason.
    My personal opinion is I believe our body tend to heal itself any disease and we should all be aware of what we do wrong. All these debates should bring awareness to help change our lifestyle and eating habits for the better.
    Good luck to everyone…
    My personal advice is.Do not eat same foods tend to become sensitive to .Alternate your foods.Use muscle testing. It works.

75. oreganol says:

Great advice Kevin. You mean I could have skipped all the debates and just read your summary? LOL.

I agree with you though. Lots of diets work if you just cut out the junk. And stop sweating about the small stuff. Exercise, eat a healthy diet and a few treats won’t harm you. But please don’t debate things like salt v sea salt. You just end up missing the bigger picture.

The bigger picture probably accounts for 90% of your health, so why waste time worrying about the other 10%. I used to do it and I can tell you that it’s just not worth it. It creates more in stress than you could possibly gain from finding out the right answer.

76. Renee says:

I have to say that diet is the most important but must be accompanied with exercise. A couple of years ago, I was a powerhouse. I could out due teenage girls with 50 push ups (the male kind)..biceps that would rival most men and my back was so cut, I had a Christmas tree on my back. Bodybuilders will know what that is! However, I was missing some essential nutrients in my diet and had problems with my mood and my toenails would fall off. I am no longer in shape, but after cleaning up my diet, I feel better than I have ever felt. So diet cannot be placed behind exercise in my opinion.

To further emphasize the importance of diet, I just finished reading a writeup on Robin Roberts, a news anchor for ABC, who had an aggressive form of breast cancer. She did not eat junk food but attributes her breast cancer to eating conventional red meat 3 or 4 times a week and also the high sodium content she received by eating canned goods. By the way, Robin was a religious exerciser. She said the exercise did not prevent her from cancer but helped her to recover.

I think you need to get your diet in order first. A proper diet will help you recover from your exercise workouts. Since my moods have changed so radically with a proper diet, I am convinced diet is king.

77. Renee says:

Kevin, I did not mean to disagree with you! I respect what you are doing and am grateful for all you contribute. As far as diet and exercise, they go hand in hand. In a previous post on another video, I noted how an extremely health conscious natural bodybuilding forum had about 10 middle age people acquire skin, colon, breast cancer and heart disease within a 2 year period. I was shocked. That is why I am convinced it was their high red meat diets and probably other toxins that did them in. What I love about exercise is how my mood would be elevated right after exercise. I have found constant mood elevation with a good diet. The skin is clear, nails are healthy, and I heal really fast when cut or injured.

Once I spoke with a respected surgeon, whose daughter was giving me kettlebell lessons, and he stated that weight bearing exercise is the key to longevity.

So they are both important. They go hand in hand.

78. These have been my conclusions to the over all health debate as well. Everyone has a lot of differences in their minor details but they all seem to agree on one thing…

EAT MORE PLANTS!

So that’s been my approach… eat way more plants and am slowly cutting meat out. Which I probably only eat 1-2 a week… usually salmon.

The amazing thing is, when you start shifting from a meat based diet to plant based, your tastes change as well. I really don’t crave or desire beef, chicken or other meat products.

I do drink raw milk… which seems to work for me since I only have 1 glass a day with raw chocolate and some whey protein.

I say all of this to say, whatever you are going to eat, find the absolute best/highest quality version of that food.

Blessings!

79. Kate says:

Just wanted to thank you and everyone that worked on making this event possible. It was truly enlightening. You asked insightful questions, gathered the leading experts in their respective fields and made everyone feel welcome and respected. And it was all free within the 24 hours (I live in Milan, Itay, but listened to the replays everyday…didn’t get any work done for a week and brought my laptop on our Valentine’s Day weekend trip, but it was totally worth it 🙂 Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Much love and gratitude-

Kate

80. Emilie Unkrich says:

Namasté, Kevin,

I wish to once again express my gratitude to you for this week of learning. I listened to each and every opportunity that you provided to me/us. i am most appreciative of your time and effort.

Gathering and taking all points of view into my intuitional guidance to discover what is right for me, I feel more comfortable in this present moment with what is best for my body/mind/soul and what will contribute to nurture the continuing journey through my lifetime.

Emilie

81. Munchkin miu says:

Hey all.

Just wanted to echo the sentiments of everyone else here and thank you Kevin, for putting together a such great, thought-provoking programme.

I myself am very health conscious. I like to know I am creating the best future for myself health wise and I like to know what I am putting in my body. I love to feel good. However, I think the key is balance. I am just coming out (or I should say HAVE come out), of a period of worrying so much about my diet that I forgot to live. I so wanted to be healthy, that I forgot WHY I wanted to be healthy. And hence achieved nothing.

I consistently changed my diet, longing to find the perfect one. I saw Ayurvedic Doctors, Homeopaths, Nutritionists, Chinese medicine practitioners. I was told to eat raw, only eat cooked, cut out grains, put in grains, not eat fermented foods, eat fermented foods. I wanted to take it all to be the Gospel. The result? More stress, bad digestion, and worse health problems. (In hindsight, I couldn’t understand why I was still getting acne, hormonal problems, terrible digestion, anxiety when I was following everything I was being told at all times.) I came to the conclusion I was just destined to be unhealthy. Then I realised that I was subconsciously deciding that what I was doing at that time was wrong because someone else had told me it was at some point.

This just goes to show you how powerful the mind is. Perhaps a diet works best when you believe it will…when there is no doubt in your mind. Doubt, fear and cynicism (even if subconscious) can be destructive. Perhaps all the speakers we heard are healthy because they spend so much time believing in what they preach. But also as many of us have pointed out, we are all individuals and we have different personalities, different biochemistry, different aims in life, different perspectives, therefore we really must listen to what feels good for us.

Having spent years of believing my diet was the be all and end all, I have now come to realise life is about so much more. If one is living a fulfilled life, one is bound to feel more healthy, be more in touch with ones body and make better nutritional choices. Of course exercise is very important, as is diet but if you go about it with the wrong mindset, it’s not going to have such a positive effect.

I do believe it’s important for us to eat good quality vegetables, well sourced protein (whether that’s meat or not is down to the individual I believe) I think it’s essential we drink a good amount of water daily. I personally don’t eat dairy as I don’t like it or tolerate it well but if you can, then great. Basically get rid of the processed rubbish, eat healthy, love dancing, or walking or running, or swimming or playing tennis or whatever you choose, love the people around you, love the choices you make, enjoy experimenting, enjoy playing, enjoy getting it wrong every so often, and know that you are always doing the best you can at that time.

I loved a comment made in the final talk. “Don’t be the weird one.” Don’t sacrifice your friends or your life for your diet. It’s about finding balance. Be flexible. Perfection comes in imperfection.

The mantra which is predominant in my mind today is “Be an extremist over finding balance. Trust yourself; your heart and your gut know best.”

Have a great day, have fun, respect food, love life.
    xx

p.s I have a few points I’d love to discuss.
    Has anyone ever tried kinesiology for testing? I have always found the concept fascinating. I tend to believe the body never lies, whereas the mind can do. Therefore, muscle testing and reactions seem logical? Anyone?

p.p. s (This is more of a frustration) It is a shame that sometimes, even when we know what our body wants, we are unable to give it just that. For example. due to time constraints, money difficulties, availablity. How do people deal with this?

p.p.p.s I come from an acting background and have always found it fascinating to watch and understand people. I have come to the conclusion that diet and personality, or vice versa must impact one another. Does anyone know if there has been any writing/research on this subject?

82. Chris G says:

A question regarding salts:

Is it just excess Sodium (Na+) that causes issues or all forms of salt? For instance, Dr. Young discusses the benefits of taking the salt Calcium Carbonate. Would this be okay?

Otherwise, I would really like to see a longevity study of the predominantly meat eating cultures like the Inuit for instance. It seems that yes, they’re strong, but nobody really has any exact life expectancy. The only information I can find (by Stats Canada) suggests they live on average 10 years less than the average Canadian – who lives essentially on the SAD. However, this has been dismissed by some of the meat-eating advocates as having been contaminated with “modern” foods. In which case, if they have been contaminated as such, have they TRIED a plant-based diet?

83. Jonathan says:

Having listened to most of the debate, I am pretty confused as to what my diet should be. Most of the guests, with a few exceptions, seemed pretty levelheaded and based their conclusions on some studies – let’s hope there was little cherry picking. But being a vegetarian, I found the meat advocates the most challenging. Do I go back to eating a bit of meat. I really don’t want to and think I feel fine being veg – not vegan as of yet.

84. Thomas says:

Kevin, Great job on all and especially putting together the “7 Common Lessons”.

After listening to the Experts, You have to come up with a plan that works for yourself. I’m still unsure of, and even more confused about some aspects, but We most all agree that factory farm foods and processed foods are not good. Stick with local family organic farms and foods as nature provides.

85. Dr. Casey says:

I like your summary. And thanks so much for what you have done with this seminar. I am thrilled to see fasting on your list. It has been my medical specialty since the last 70’s, and I have seen so many seriously ill patients heal from this Mother Nature-given gift. Stay open, healthy and happy.

86. Faith says:

Let’s hear Annmarie’s “7 Things Learned From The Great Debate.” The female side of Renegade!

87. Thomas says:

Kudos Kevin.
    Thanks for a great event. It was quite an array of interesting speakers with differing opinions. The most controversial topics do bring out the most blogging responses. 🙂

88. margot says:

I want to add my deep appreciation to all the comments above. I feel reinvigorated and inspired to listen more and use more willpower to overcome my tendancy to emotional eating. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work Kevin and Annmarie.

89. Ami says:

Hey awesome to get this brilliant message out there and let people decide for themselves what is best for them and their health. Thank you so much for your beautiful work – it’s doing all of us and the planet so much good.
    One thing I have to add that if you use EFT (Emotional Ereedom Technique)and eat raw foods you will never be sick again!! Free of emotional baggage and a cleared energy system. What joy, what freedom! Both raw food and eft are amazing as they are no cost, you can do it yourself, effective and empowering!!
    Peace and love to you,
    Ami 🙂

90. Petra Rose Sundheim says:

Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie. Missed the lectures but learned a great deal from the comments. Most of what I would add to the 7 recommendations for health were covered. I would echo the references to the Spiritual aspect with the words of Jesus in A Course in Miracles that “Health is inner peace.” Blessing the food helps as well. Spiritual detox is forgiving others and yourself and releasing beliefs and patterns that don’t work through tapping and other tools.
    I also use Kinesiology, not only for supplements, but foods, and my thoughts and what I hear. “Is this correct? for me? and get a “Yes, No or Maybe” I need about 1/4 tsp of Himalayan salt per qt of water. I have become 15 years younger through my spiritual work.

91. Petra Rose Sundheim says:

Please add;Knowing and committing to your life purpose definitely improves health.
    A purpose common to all is to end our belief in separation from our Source/ God/ Eternal Love Spirit. We then express according to the Passion or calling we hear in our heart. Then we begin to treat this bodymind computer with respect, recognizing its value as a vehicle for communication of our Spirit Essence.

92. The “Seven things. . .” sounds good EXCEPT:

“2. Eat less meat.” is as useful as “Smoke less” as one has a helluva time finding any TOP performers who thrive on “more meat.” For example, check what untramarathoners eat. The “Eat less meat” is a useless platitude.

Another VERY irritating FACT about Maasai and Eskimos eating a lot of meat is mentioned without mentioning an EVEN MORE IMPORTANT FACT that both cultural ethic groups have very high rates of heart problems. Both groups are a virtual answer to a heart surgeon’s prayer. Assuming they could afford advanced useless operations so popular in America. $ $ $ $ $

I’m neither Eskimo nor Maasai – but a Vegan.

93. Susan says:

First of all I want to thank Kevin and all the guest speakers for a very informative 8 days.

Wanted to ad a few things which I think may be of interest to people trying to get healthier and people thinking that the salt talk is nothing. I also wanted to address the question that Kevin asked earlier regarding high carbs. and insulin.

First a bit about me. I have been a Type 1 (insulin dependant) Diabetic for 34 years … ever since I was a child. I had become so sick up to about 1 year ago (irritable bowel for about 5 years that seemed to be getting worse and fibromyalgia to the point of needing a walker if I would be on my feet for more than an hour) that I decided something had to be done. First I started going to a highly recommended chiropractor, Dr. Roger L. Turner, who is the Director of Turner Wellness & Brain Care Centre. He is the founder and developer of Cranial Adjusting Turner Style (C.A.T.S.). and an international lecturer & professional speaker. Dr. Roger Turner is also the author of 10 books and over 60 professional articles and I am lucky enough to benefit from his practice with having an office right here in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. He constantly spends time finding the optimal health benefits for his clients so that along with the adjustments and cranial adjusting you receive, you also receive up-to-date information to help you make an informed decision on a healthy lifestyle choice.

Upon reading his book called Irritable Everything – Healing the Incurable (ISBN #0-9730525-0-3), I decided to go have an Electro-Dermal Screening done. This test is very effective in assessing all of the predisposing causative factors in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I am sure that many or most people trying to become healthy will start to understand that these two ailments are a Dr’s way of saying that they really don’t know what is wrong with you. Reading this book puts SO MANY things into perspective and helps our “SAD” lifestyle people improve their health as much as possible.

Upon removing ALL WHEAT, DAIRY & RED MEAT from my diet, always taking B12 DROPS everyday, taking mineral drops daily and magnesium and with my own research drinking ionized alkaline water daily (approx. half of my body weight), I have become so much healthier. I no longer have had irritable bowel or fibromyalgia for about a year. I started sleeping way better and having way more energy upon drinking the type of water I mention below and have lost 15 pounds in about 3 months eating very little wheat (yes, I still cheat every now and then) eating most of my veggies raw, very little fruit (because they are high in natural sugar) and drinking lots of water. A year ago I would of said this was not possible but here I am today very proud to say it is all worth having your health back. Besides without your health what else do you have?

Celtic sea salt is something else that I have added to my diet as most of us are very deficient in iodine and celtic or himalayan salt are high in iodine without being processed like regular table salt which is very terrible for you. Not to mention these two types of sea salt bring out the flavours of your food so that butter and margarine (plastic) are no longer needed!

I am very surprised nothing much was mentioned about drinking lots of water everyday. The body can survive without food for a long period of time but cannot survive without water. I know there is lots of liquid in juicing which I do a lot of, but it is still not pure water. And I am not talking about reverse osmosis or spring water either. Both of these types of water still do not have their minerals intact or are they ionized so as to add antioxidants to the water. They are considered “dead” water that is then put into a toxic plastic bottle and sold at an astronomical price to the consumer. City water as most people I’m sure know is VERY detrimental to your health with all the added chemicals and fluoride AND ECOLI AND BACTERIA CAN GET THROUGH THIS TYPE OF FILTRATION AS IS POSSIBLE ON A WELL. That should be a hugh concern for everyone. Ionized Alkaline Water is put through a process without using chemicals enabling it to have antioxidants added to the water and the minerals are also left in the water. Ecoli and bacteria cannot get through the pre-filtration process the machine goes through. Most of us in general around the world except for the japanese have not even heard of this water! That is sad considering that it helps keep you healthy or helps get you healthy. If interested in knowing more on the subject go to http://www.lifeionizer.com/SusanGates Upon using the water myself, right away I started to have a much more sound sleep and had way more energy. In later weeks I realized I needed less insulin for the carbs. that I was eating. Unbelievable but true. Having been on an insulin pump for four years, I knew exactly how to count my carbs. and my blood sugars kept going too low so I keep backing off the amount of insulin I took. I am still needing less and less insulin as the days go on now.

A book called the Calcium Lie by Robert Thompson MD that came out recently explains that most people have far too much calcium in their bodies and that bones do not just consist of calcium. This just shows how effective the 5% surcharge to the dairy farmers is that goes towards their continual advertising campaign. No one, kids included need to drink milk or dairy of any kind to be healthy. Look at all the products in our grocery store today that are now fortified with calcium. After all think about this, calcium hardens cement. Now I guess we know why so many hip replacement etc. are being done. This book is any excellent read. Not very long … I read it in a few days and I do not spend all day reading. Of course this book was recommended to me by Dr. Roger Turner so I would like to pass this knowledge on to others as well.

Another book I read recently called Raw Success by Matt Monarch is an extremely good book and I definately do not consider it a book just for someone who wishes to eat strickly raw food. It is a very well put book for anyone who wants to become healthier … thanks Matt for a job well done.

Kevin, you were asking earlier about how high carb. would affect insulin levels. I can tell you honestly with being a person who has had Diabetes for 34 years and ALWAYS looked after my blood sugars and now having been on an insulin pump for about the last 4 years that a high carb. diet is definately not the way to go. High carbs. especially foods that have a high glycemic index such as corn which we all know does not digest at all anyway means you need much more insulin. The more insulin needed, the more immune to insulin the body gets. In other words the longer you have taken insulin and the more and more and more you will need to compansate in future years. Our bodies are not meant to inject lots of insulin just as the more we eat our pancreas has to keep producing more and more insulin. Eventually it is going to not work as well because it cannot keep up with demand. Its a no win situation that will lead to a bigger, unhealthy body. I myself have never been very overweight accept when I went through post-partum pychosis about 10 years ago and was fed anti-depressants and anti-pychotic drugs for a long time. I gained over 80 pounds in 4 months with the anti-pychotic drugs and was determined to lose it because I was afraid that my Diabetes would take a toll if I chose to do nothing about it. I ended up losing about 90 pound about 9 years ago over the course of a year but was still on the anti-depressant for 8 more years until I found out about other ways to keep healthy in the last year. I feel VERY lucky to say that I did not gain weight on the anti-depressant I took and I also know that this is not true for most people.

Another book called The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, MD, ND also printed recently talks in depth about improving mood and memory. I now take magnesium everyday knowing that it helps treat Diabetes, improves memory (mine is much worse because of the anti-depressant I was on for 9 years)and improves mood. (Be advised that the more magnesium taurate, glycinate and orotate you can get in your mag. supplement the better. Magnesium citrate can have a laxative effect on the intestines if you take to much). Upon taking the magnesium for the past month I have finally been able to get off of my anti-depressant. This book is actually one that Dr. Roger Turner is wanting to read but lately has not had as much time to read as he used to.

I also am one that wishes this info. would get out to more of the people on your typical “SAD” diet because this info. would be so useful for them. I wish everyone the best of health always. Live, love, laugh

Susan Gates