Is Organic Peanut Butter OK to Eat? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #759

Saturday Feb 5 | BY |

I know…

If you’ve been eating healthy for a while chances are you haven’t eaten much peanut butter.

To much aflatoxin, right?

In today’s show, I share my thoughts on peanut butter as well as answer questions about kombucha and caffeine, glass straws and if it’s OK to eat packaged kale chips everyday.

Your question of the day:Have you binged on kale chips in the past? Are you still binging?

1. Lilith says:

A clip from Steve Prussack’s blog about the Health Debate (that I am really looking forward to!):

“What I feel he’s doing is wrong because he has only asked invited two or three vegans to his discussion and the rest are meat eaters. Since he has around eight meat eaters and three vegans, only one of which is a low fat raw vegan, he’s created an in-balance in favor of meat eaters. This has created an unfair advantage since the tables aren’t balanced. There are so many healthy vegans he could have invited including Doug Graham, Dr. Michael Klapper, M.D., John Robbins, Harley Johnston, etc. He didn’t though. Instead he is satisfied with an in-balance he created to make the outcome in favor of eating animal flesh.”

Just to let you know.
    Maybe it is still time to put in some more raw’s in the debate? 🙂

2. Hi Kevin and Annmarie! : )

Thank you so much for answering my question about peanut butter! 😀
    It was my first question to you and I got an answer wohoo haha…

It was pretty good news cause I haven’t eat it for such a long time so hopefully my body was all toxic free and able to handle the peanut butter better then it would a year ago : )

I will not eat peanut butter for a while now. Maybe once a month… maximum! Tahini tastes almost the same I think so I will go for that… or almond butter as you said!!

Thank you again and I will watch the The great health debate show tomorrow with my mom!

Take care. =)

3. s.celsen says:

I don’t understand why alot of raw foodists don’t acknowledge the phytates in nut and seed butters.
    If someone is trying to maintain a high level of health on raw foods, they should be aware that peanut butter or almond butter or whatever contains mineral and vitamin robbing phytates.
    Nuts, grains and seeds should always be soaked and sprouted if possible.

4. Hey guys,

How is sunny Florida treating you?

As for the question of the day… I may or may not have gone through a phase of eating every single raw product from this farmer’s market (especially the ice cream cakes and fruit pies):

In response to Steve Prussack’s blog… it seems like a truly representative panel (like a nutritional congress representing the ‘states’ of veganism and carnivority), in this day and age and nation HAS to have more meat eaters… if half the speakers were vegan, representing only the 3% of our population that’s vegan, it would be grossly out of proportion!

And to suggest that Kevin specifically tipped the balance in favor of meat-eaters… for what reason? Since he doesn’t eat meat, we can’t think he’s seeking out confirmation for his personal choices! And if his motivation is simply to broaden the horizons and breadth of information available to his mostly-raw-food audience then I’d applaud that controversy! Wouldn’t you Steve?

Anyway, we are so excited for the debate! I set an alarm on my iPhone so I don’t forget…

We’re also pulling for you guys to drop by South Florida before you’re off to beautiful Colorado =D

Neil and Lyla

5. Mary says:

My favorites are Cashew & Sunflower butters, yum, yum! Sometimes I actually binge on those. With the Kale chips, I know if I buy or make them, they’ll be gone withing 2 days, between my husband and I. Soooo good! ox

6. Cindy says:

I love the cheesy kale chips & would eat them plain or put them in salads quite a bit. Then I happened to buy a different brand & different flavor, & ended up hating them. They just weren’t the same as the cheesy ones. It kind of turned me off to them altogether. I haven’t had them in quite a while.

7. hyesun says:

i have to run so i will watch this later, but i clicked on it and read the responses, because i’m about to go by some trader joe’s peanut butter to make peanut butter honey popcorn for a superbowl party tomorrow!! LOL 🙂
    i assume from emma’s response that you say that pb is not good/healthy. i sort of agree, but i think every once in a while (like for a superbowl)is ok…..after, superbowl sunday is the biggest holiday of the year.. 😛

8. hyesun says:

oops, my last sentence meant to read “after all…”

9. Catherine Meade says:

I eat kale chips in moderation but I have been known to binge on raw, sprouted granola:)
    Love your debate line up!

10. I have never had a kale chip but might have to pick them up now since I am allowed to binge on them!
    I have binged on plenty of other things and I agree that after maybe a week or 2 you are done and don’t want it any longer.
    CAN’T WAIT FOR THE DEBATE!!!

11. Ingrid says:

The first time I had kale chips – ever – was at the last Longevity Conference in September 2010. Last time I had kale chips was in December, when I made a batch for my birthday. I’ve never binged on them since I don’t have daily access to them in Sweden.

12. hyesun says:

ok i’m back and just watched the first portion about peanut butter. sorry, i assumed wrongly about what you were going to say about it. i agree about the aflatoxin free pb, which is why i only buy pb that’s made from 100% organic valencia peanuts. they are supposed to be aflatoxin free. also raw wild jungle peanuts are aflatoxin free too. i’ve gotten those and made my own peanut butter. those are the only 2 varieties that are toxin free, i think.

kevin, if we miss some of the health debate, will we be able to watch it online at a later time? i’ll be at a superbowl party tomorrow but i really want to see the debate sometime.

thanks!

13. Dawn says:

Yes, when I first went raw I would eat a ton of packaged, raw food. I was thrilled when I discovered kale chips and have to limit the amount I allow myself to buy because I can eat one or two bags/containers in a matter of hours! My favorites are the kale chips from ChocolaTree in Sedona. I also can go through pints of raw ice cream from Mary’s Secret Garden in Ventura if the opportunity presents itself! I loved snack foods so these things have replaced the highly processed junk food so I don’t feel too bad 🙂

14. Jude Manche says:

Very sorry to hear about the balance tipped towards meat eaters in the debate. I would think that the viewing audience would at the very least be mostly vegetarian. I am not against meat eating people per se and I think I already know why they want to keep people eating meat. That info has been around forever. I would have much preferred to hear from a predominance of non meat eaters with cutting edge info that would have been more useful to everyone. For that reason it doesn’t sound like a great health debate to me. Sorry I was looking forward to it but I’m not so sure now now.

15. Jude Manche says:

Also I will listen in but very unlikely to sit through a whole meat eating discussion. It’s just promoting bad health and bad ethics

16. Nadia says:

Several years ago I ate a lot of goji berries. I would get huge bags of them and eat them like raisins right out of the bag. I would go through a few bags a week. I loved them and always wanted more.

Then that passed and, to this day, (about 3 years later) my body and taste buds want nothing to do with goji berries. So that is my ‘binge’ story.

Never had it happen with kale chips… yet.

17. David says:

Hi Kevin,

I have some interest in nutritional biochemistry and have studied myotoxins a little bit.

Aflatoxin is a type of myotoxin.

Incorporating Chlorophyll in a Diet May Limit Myotoxin’s Toxicity.

Researchers are working on affordable ways to prevent the negative health effects associated with the toxin exposure. Using commonly found chlorophyll and incorporating it into a supplement as chlorophyllin has shown some promise. Researchers found that chlorophyllin has the ability to reduce damage caused by aflatoxin (Simonich et al). It is hoped that naturally occurring chlorophyll may also serve the same purpose.
    Sources

Simonich MT, Egner PA, Roebuck BD, et al “Natural chlorophyll inhibits aflatoxin B1-induced multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rat”. Carcinogenesis. 2007 Jun; 28(6):1294-302.

Read more at Suite101: Preventing Aflatoxin Poisoning: Storing Corn Safely Prevents Toxins from Developing http://www.suite101.com/content/preventing-aflatoxin-poisoning-a193485#ixzz1D7h85AMc

18. Thomas says:

To learn about aflatoxins check out:

But don’t think you can avoid them just by passing on the peanut butter.

It states that:
    “Crops which are frequently affected include cereals (maize, sorghum, pearl millet, rice, wheat), oilseeds (peanut, soybean, sunflower, cotton), spices (chilli peppers, black pepper, coriander, turmeric, ginger), and tree nuts (almond, pistachio, walnut, coconut, brazil nut).”

So it’s most important to know the source of the food. If it has been subjected to mold, throw it out.

19. David says:

Forgot to mention, have some chlorophyll containing kale with your peanut butter.

Then have plenty of probiotics to process any oxalates that might be in the kale or maybe more-so in some other greens.

20. Jay says:

I have no idea why someone would BUY kale chips, they’re around 7 bucks a bag! Make your own! Control what’s in them and all you pay for is the kale and whatever seasoning you put on them, WAY cheaper. Buying them is insanity. lol

Looking forward to the debate tomorrow, but I agree with the person who said they’d like to see things more balanced. :\ I really wished you would have put Durianrider on there.

21. Dena says:

I have never eaten Kale chips. Guess I will need to try them. Can’t wait for the debate.

22. Brenda says:

I have eaten a whole bag of kale chips at one sitting before. They are small bags. I don’t think I have eaten Kale chips two days in a row. I have probably only eaten them a dozen times. They are yummy. 🙂

23. AmandaS says:

My Naturopath’s biofeedback machine showed surprising results that my body wanted quality peanut more than almonds!!
    Kevin you didn’t mention soaking peanuts and then making your own peanut butter.. wouldn’t that be best?

24. Dee says:

I do like Kale chips, but find them a little pricey, so have not over indulged. Tried making them and turned out bad.
    Am really into Goraw chips, the ginger snaps.

25. Anna says:

A friendly FYI for all those raw kale chip eaters…raw kale should not be consumed in excess. It is goitrogenic and can induce hypothyroidism in otherwise healthy individuals. Kale and other goitrogenic foods should be cooked if consumed on a regular basis.

26. Chantelle says:

Hello Kevin and Annmarie,

I am late in posting this comment. I hope that you catch this. Well, not a comment really more a question regarding snack foods?

The first show of your’s I saw, at least two summers ago, was how to make raw popcorn. Using a head of cauliflower, an added spice all mixed into a ziplock bag. I can’t remember the spice that was used. Could you replay that show or post again how this was made. Many Thanks!

Live well,
    Chantelle

27. lori says:

chantelle, if you go to raw food rehab, they have a recipe for the popcorn. dont remember off hand what it is right now.

and check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

i found this page very interesting with a lot of info about this mycotoxin. it is a lot more than peanuts, and organic is not safe from it.