Is Raw, Unpasteurized Cow’s Milk Any Different than Pasteurized Milk? : The Renegade Health Newsletter

Thursday Jan 20 | BY |

raw unpasteurized cows milk cheese and dairy
A simple Peruvian meal with potatoes, olives, toasted corn and farm cheese.

We had a lot of great feedback from yesterday’s article, and it looks like I have some things to clarify…

I’m going to do that today right after I mention again that The Great Health Debate is coming up starting February 6, 2011.

This is an event that is going to rock the health world (in a good way) by bringing together diet experts of all different backgrounds and beliefs.

Picture it as a global summit with one focus. Dietary peace. 🙂

Anyway, you can read more about the event and who’s going to be a part of it here:

This is an online event and the sign up is free, so make sure you reserve your spot now!

(Tell your friends too!)

Now on to the newsletter:

Yesterday’s article generated a lot of response and a lot of reads, but many of you still had questions about the health challenges most cow’s dairy is guilty of serving up.

The biggest question that I saw you asking when I was stating the arguments that are valuable when speaking against cow’s dairy was this:

“Are you talking about raw unpasteurized milk?”

It’s a great question and the answer is…

No, but this doesn’t mean the answer is completely different.

I have a personal story I want to share as well as some considerations about science around raw milk.

1. Personal Experience.

When I first eliminated cow’s dairy from my diet about 10 years ago, two very specific things happened.

My nasal passages cleared up and the razor burn and acne on my neck and back cleared up completely.

I was so shocked that I didn’t eat or drink cow’s milk or cheese for about 9 1/2 years – razor burn and back acne free.

When we were in Peru, I choose to eat some farm fresh, unpasteurized cow’s cheese as an experiment to see how I felt afterwords. I was curious, since I’d heard many of my colleagues (yes, even raw food vegans) were starting to eat some raw cow’s dairy.

I had eaten some goat’s yogurt, but not cow’s cheese.

So in Cuzco, I ate the cheese for a few days at various times and not too much – maybe 1/2 – 1 ounce.

I didn’t notice any change in my chemistry until I came back and took a shower.

There was a very small mirror in the bathroom in Peru, so I never looked at my back while I was there.

Back home, I looked at my back in the mirror and I was appalled. I had a significant amount of back acne.

I had no idea what had caused it and Annmarie and I – at the time – assumed it was from my backpack because I had carried it a lot when we were walking the streets in Cuzco.

I wrote it off and the acne disappeared.

A few months later…

When I was up in Canada with Dr. Cass Ingram, I was listening to his thoughts on raw milk and was interested to see how my body would work with it.

My Peru experiment with cheese was an assumed “success” so I got a little bolder.

Since the raw milk was readily available (I don’t think I would have bought it in a store) I decided to do a 5 day experiment and drink some raw milk and eat some raw cheese – completely organic, grass fed, raw cow’s dairy.

It, of course, tasted great. Dr. Ingram had a mixture of chaga, honey and raw milk that was so good I felt guilty drinking it – like it was some sort of creamcicle or something.

Anyway, I took it slow and only had about 4-6 ounces of milk or cheese a day and looked for something – or nothing – to happen.

For me, there was no stomach unrest, nor was there any excess mucus in my nose or mouth.

But, when I looked in the mirror (this time I had one), I was horrified again to see the return of my back acne and this time my razor burn as well. All this in only 5 days.

This became pretty convincing evidence that cow’s milk and cheese – raw or pasteurized – was not a match for me.

Now, there are various holes and uncontrollable variable in this personal account, and I acknowledge them, but from what I can tell about my tall, somewhat goofy Caucasian body, I don’t take cow’s dairy too well at all.

2. Other Science and Evidence.

Some people have told me that they have no issues with raw milk, but had awful experiences with pasteurized milk.

I believe most of them, but I also wonder, based on my experience if they’re not identifying all the variables – just like I was unable to do.

I, at first, thought the acne was from my backpack, but clearly it wasn’t since I didn’t use my pack much in Canada at all (and my acne was actually worse in Canada.)

So where is the evidence that raw cow’s milk doesn’t cause the same irritation as pasteurized milk?

Unfortunately, for raw milk drinkers it’s mainly anecdotal.

There is one widely quoted study sponsored by the Weston A. Price Foundation that took over 2000 raw milk drinkers and surveyed them to find out if (1) there were any raw milk drinkers who were diagnosed with lactose intolerance by a practitioner and (2) if they had any lactose issues when drinking raw milk. (You can read about it here.)

Of the 2,217 people, 155 of them fit the above criteria.

Of that 155, 82% reported that they didn’t have the same issues that they did when they drank regular milk.

It’s an interesting study that on the surface looks promising, but not one I would bet all my chips on.

Here’s why…

First of all, like all studies, you have to be aware of who’s funding them. In this case, it’s a natural health organization, which is nice, but we need to be aware that they might in fact be biased as well.

The Weston A. Price Foundation does have an interest in making sure raw milk is favorable.

Secondly, the study is a survey based study of raw milk drinkers. So you have to be aware of the fact that these are people who love their raw milk and know the politics of it. They’ve searched it out and are passionate about it.

It would be in their best interest to make sure any study conducted would be favorable to raw milk drinkers.

Thirdly, the study is small and based on personal (and emotional) opinion. There were no blood markers measured or any other markers identified that would give a little more scientific credibility to the study. Just like I said in my personal story, people can miss variables or psychologically make their bodies feel better – as physics author Bruce Lipton says, “the placebo effect is real!”

In this case, it’s extremely possible to feel better in the short term but still cause the body damage.

Finally, I’m surprised there are 18% of these lactose intolerant raw milk drinkers who have symptoms and still drink it. Does anyone else think that’s weird? Are they the honest ones?

[As an aside, it’s interesting to see that the Organic Pastures website – a company that sells raw milk – has conveniently turned the 82% of people in this same study into “almost 90%.” With one website post, they’ve cured 8% or 12.4 people of their lactose intolerance… amazing. You can see this data “inflation” here.]

So what does it all mean?

It means this…

There is some evidence that raw, unpasteurized, organic, grass fed cow’s milk may be easier to digest, but it’s not an absolute.

In fact, for some, it’s just not true – it can cause issues just as bad as pasteurized milk.

I would also be very skeptical of a survey type study of raw milk drinkers that states everything “is OK, no issues here.”

It would be same as asking raw fooders in a survey if they’re 100% raw. I can guarantee more people in the data would respond that they’re 100% raw or 99.9% than the reality of people who were. We’re so passionate and emotionally involved in raw food (whatever the percentage) that we want the results of the survey to be good.

It’s just how surveys work.

(As for other studies, there are a few, but they’re not as widely quoted as this one.)

So what I’m getting at is this. If you don’t have to drink cow’s milk or eat cow’s cheese, I’d leave it alone. The evidence we have about lactose and casein is real.

There are plenty of foods that we can eat that don’t have the same issues and we digest extremely well.

On the other side, if you do eat it for whatever reason, I’d err on the safe side and eat very little – just like it was a fine wine or a rare chocolate treat. I’ve been burned listening blindly to health experts before, so I tend to be a little more cautious than some.

Remember, sometimes you don’t realize you’re damaging your health until years down the road.

Just my thoughts, do you have any more?

1. Amy says:

I’m glad that a “tall, somewhat goofy Caucasian body” has problems with dairy likes most Asians do. 🙂 I’m Asian and other than being FAT all my life (though not anymore) thanks to school lunches and Good Humor ice cream trucks, I did not have problems with dairy. But my 1/2 Asian, 1/2 Caucasian kids get eczema from dairy also, esp. my daughter. I’m not sure about my son. He seems to have more problems with beans and peanuts, and it’s the same thing – eczema. Thanks for the sharing your dairy experiments. I follow Dr. Mercola also, been on WAP site for endless hours and while I appreciate all I learned, the whole dairy issue was definitely an issue for me.

2. Joan says:

I appreciate your comments and sharing your experience. My thoughts remain that cow’s milk is intended for calves and that it is not the best food for humans – babies or adults.

3. Smriti says:

Hi!!

What is your take on lactose free-yogurt-consumed in small amounts?Any health benefits?

Regards
    Smriti

4. Tristan says:

I too used to have significant problems with cow milk but since I’ve transitioned back into an animal based diet and made significant progress in restoring my digestion I’m finding that I am able to tolerate dairy much better. I’ve heard anecdotal evidence from various sources that also indicate a correlation between digestive robustness and tolerance for cow dairy, and my personal experience seems to fit in well with that idea.

The dairy I used to consume as a child was the grain-fed junk with antibiotics/pesticides though, while the stuff I’ve been drinking now is always organic, non-homogenized, mostly grass-fed, and sometimes raw, and I do believe that these are two completely different products.

5. As a nutritional consultant, I believe that we are the only mammals that drink milk after they are weaned. We don’t need milk to survive, so why do people still drink it, it’s not essential for our health ?????????? Dairy causes severe mucus and inflammation in our bodies

6. Jean says:

I am wondering if you adhere to a blood type diet. Type O and A are not to drink milk or eat cheese. Type B is allowed, but it is suggest that fermented milk products are better and of course Raw is much better. Intolerance and allergy are different when it comes to reactions to milk. I am a type B, but if I drink milk (pasteurized), I have trouble with mucus and sinus congestion. I have not gone to raw, though when my kids were young, I did. I do better on goat’s milk and cheese and am just now finding raw milk cheeses that I am trying. I also do not have the skin problems that you describe.

7. Simon King says:

Great observations. I too, tested this. From being dairy-free for many years, I went to stay on an Irish dairy farm for a week. I deliberately ate all home-made milk and ice-cream from raw milk. By the end of the week I was really sick. BUT I had patients who owned a dairy herd, and their boys (14 and 16yrs old) had extraordinary health and muscle power (I have tested 6 million muscles and know power when I test it). Within 6 months of selling their herd, these boys were just like everyone else. So my take is that we might be able to process and even use raw milk if we do it consistently from childhood, but most of us lose our lactase and therefore find it hard to digest milk in any form and therefore I agree that milk is for calves.

8. Nadia says:

Everything in balance, I think, is the key. If someone does choose to eat dairy, get the best possible dairy you can and eat only a small amount of it.

Anything out of balance will cause health problems and I think that it is easy to see that in our culture (N American) dairy is consumed way out of balance, ie far too much.

Thanks for providing a platform where we can all share ideas and encourage people to educate themselves.

9. Max says:

Sounds like your are jumping on the anti milk bandwagon. I know you are a vegan but don’t let it cloud your objectivity. Many traditional cultures have used raw cow milk and never had any problems. Did you ever think that maybe you just have a compromised GI tract that cannot handle certain foods?
    A hearty, healthy human can defintitely do well with raw cows milk. Gandhi drank raw goat milk and said the vegan diet would not work for him without it. The Massai tribe in Africa use raw cows milk as a staple food and are among the healthiest people in the world. Most northern western European cultures successfully drank raw milk and thrived. It isn’t just the pasteurization that is harmful it is pesticide ridden feed, growth hormone and other hormones, antibiotics, cows fed the wrong diet, homogenization etc.
    Raw cow’s milk is widely used in Ayurvedic Medicine, especially for Vatta types like you. All wild animals quickly devour raw milk when given access to it. In fact a predator who kills a lactating prey will first get all the milk from the mammary glands before consuming the animal. So the reason animals don’t drink milk after weaning is merely because it is not available or practical not because it is unhealthy. Orphaned animals thrive on milk form other species too. The body can adapt to different milks and take what it needs and dispose of what it doesn’t need. Please stop spreading propoganda, you are causing harm by giving people misinformation about their health.

10. hyesun says:

i also don’t do very well on raw milk, even goat milk kefir. i don’t get acne or skin conditions, just really bad gas. however, i cannot forgo raw cheese………it’s too yummy! and i make raw ice cream in the summer. 🙂

kevin, do you have many food allergies? i remember you saying that you got a rash from eating cacao, and i’m wondering if you have many food sensitivities/allergies that show up in your skin?

11. hyesun says:

also, would that be indicative of auto immune stuff? (i mean the food allergies/sensitivities above)

12. Raya Johansson says:

Yes, raw cow’s milk, is it for an adult human body for nutrition? It has 8-10 times more casein than human milk. Casein is a very good glue, it is intended to glue the fast growing calf tissues together, since the calf grows roughly from 50 lb’s to 500 lb’s in 6 months! Its brain on the other hand grows hardly noticeably.
    On the other hand, human baby grows from 6 lb’s to 15 lb’s in 6 months, but its brain grows leaps and bounds. So it seems that human milk has been intended by the nature for a human baby, and cow’s milk for cow’s baby, for its needs to GROW.
    I actually cannot understand, why an adult human needs to be a cow baby??? If the cow’s milk is not intended for a human baby, why on earth a human adult wants to continue to nurse on a cow? It would be a little more natural if we continued to nurse from our mother till she dies….
    So, no matter what the so-called-science says, cow’s milk is only for a baby, and namely a cow baby. Any animal milk is for its own offsring, intended to grow that infant.
    I personally cannot have a single ounce of any cow’s milk product without my body violently reacting to it, regardless how raw. We used to have a dairy farm and I know what I am talking about.
    Those who do not react to it have suppressed their body’s systems so badly that the body does not react.

13. christina says:

raw milk is better for you due to the enzyme content. i think that kefir and yogurt is good for some people but not all people. i also think its fair to say that human beings have been drinking raw milk for thousands of years ( i think) and many find it very nourishing.
    Anne Marie, i think you are over generalizing to say everyones body can do without it, for although that may be true, sit may do good things for some people.
    its best not to get too single minded in our quest for personal nutrition

14. elizabeth says:

I still believe that the case against raw organic milk yeilds different results in an environment that is not cell phone/wifi/laptop irradiated!
    I think we’re barking up the wrong tree here. Sure, there are people who are allergic to any milk products. But are the numbers truly accurate or is there an environmental factor here playing a much larger role; IE: micro wave radiation.
    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

15. Brenda says:

Kevin, where you a breasfed infant, and if so, for how long?

16. Veronica says:

It seems that cow’s milk, raw or not, affects people differently, and if one chooses to drink it or not, it is his/her own choice, and we should not riducule or make people feel guilty for doing so.

I and my family have been drinking raw cow’s milk for about a year now, and we LOVE it! We also eat raw cheeses, yogurt, cream, cottage cheese, all within moderation of course, in order to watch our fat and to get a variety of foods in our daily diet. We drink and eat dairy products because we LOVE the taste. We have no problems whatsoever. In fact, I am lactose intolerant of pasteurized dairy, but have very little trouble with the raw.

Our family chose to quit all dairy products completely several months ago for one month, and we noticed no changes at all in acne, how we felt, how we looked, etc. So we have concluded that we are just one of the lucky ones who are able to toerate it, and, we are very happy with our choice!

Veronica

17. Danae says:

Dairy is not worth the cost to your health and at the expense of a living animal. The cruel mistreatment is sadly, very real.

18. Bob Lewanski says:

Yes, dairy is a problem for most people, but they refuse to give it up. Cow’s milk is biologically made for the young calf, not humans, who require human mother’s milk. Goats produce goat milk for baby goats, not humans. Human female produce milk for human infants. People have a hard time understanding this simple fact.
    All the best of health,
    Bob Lewanski
    Health Force Research Center
    Troy, MI

19. Irina says:

Dairy is such a hot button issue for so many of us! I think the most important rule relating to dairy is staying away from pasteurized, homogenized, commercially produced pus that they call milk these days. My skin actually improved tremendously when I started drinking raw grass-fed milk from Jersey cows, my cravings disappeared, and my digestion improved. When I decided to switch
    to “healthier” raw goat milk, I found out that I am actually allergic to it, and it gives me stomach ache every time I have it or anything else goat (I am blood type O, and according to that theory should feel really bad on cow milk but ok on goat). For cow dairy especially, know who your farmer is, what the animals are fed, what breed are the cows, if they are healthy and happy and well cared for. Then you can make an informed decision. If you really want to know whether raw cow milk should be a part of your diet, throw somebody else’s rules, dogmas and cliches out the window and try it for yourself in a slow controlled experiment, and really listen to your body. If it makes you feel bad, skip it, if you thrive on it, keep it. We are all different and ultimately, no expert can know for sure if this or that will work for each of us 100% of the time, but we can count on ideas and things to try and play with.
    Can’t wait for the Great Health Debate to start – I know it’s going to be awesome!

20. Ryan says:

That’s a really sad-looking meal pictured.

21. Marj says:

This is a great controversy. I have drank both pasteurized and raw and i have had reaction to pasteurized milk such as gas, upset stomach. When i decided to try raw milk, i was a little bit hesitant but my body just loved it. No reaction at all. So the truth about that one man’s medicine is to another a poison could be applied here. Animals in nature do it all the time one specie could very well feed on milk another one. So if you enjoy raw milk, go ahead and drink it and if you have a reaction to it DO NOT DRINK IT. This is that simple.

22. marc says:

I think you just found out something about yourself… that you can’t tolerate milk.. I also remember you talking about your negative experience with cacao, but D. Wolfe was quick to point out that it prob. wasn’t cacao, but your inability to digest it. A lot of people on raw vegan diets will have difficulties digesting animal products. I think the key is to strengthen our digestive system, much the same way we strengthen our immune system. I think the mucous you experienced while on dairy was really your body’s way of flagging you and telling you to take care of your digestion. I did raw veganism for a year and half (superfood smoothies, green powders, marine phytoplanktons, nuts, goji, etc), and found that I lost too much weight and strength in the gym. I started to incorporate grass fed whey protein, raw eggs, butter, wild caught fish, colustrum (surthrival), deer antler, and cream into my mix, and found that it makes me feel stronger (gained all my muscle weight back). I have no incidents of skin breakouts, or digestive issues. I also recently started to do some grass fed bone broth beef soup (Donna gates), and feel really good.

23. Dana says:

Kudos to Veronica!
    Only a couple of people posting seem to have the healthiest attitude about dairy as human food…they realize it’s a health, life-style or philosophical choice. They are less judgmental and absolutist about the subject than others here who have a tone of superiority in their posts, whatever. (Kevin himself, has a more open attitude.)
    If you can’t handle dairy physically, find it repulsive, think it’s only for baby bovines or that there is only cruelty and misery for ALL dairy cows in this world then fine for you. I can live with your beliefs and attitudes, since I don’t really care what you think about, or do, with your own bodies and lives.
    I’m healthy, not overweight and regularly use dairy products in my omnivore diet. I have no high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes nor skin, digestive or sinus type problems. Nothing I’ve read here has convinced me that dairy is bad for ME. Only my own body can do that.
    So please, stop making blanket statements that it’s horrible and unhealthy for EVERY one, which it obviously isn’t and who are you to judge that it is; I mean really.
    Just eat what YOU like and from which YOU can physically benefit. Live and let live, I always say.
    P.S. In all my life of 65 years I think I’ve known only one or two people who were lactose intolerant and I’ve been around the block a few times…so I’m suspicious of studies and statistics that place those particular numbers so high. Yepper, everybody has an agenda.

24. Heather says:

Kev, I’m not a cow’s milk person myself (even raw), but one thing I wonder is about the difference between A1 and A2 cows milk? Do you know if the raw milk you had was from A1 or A2 cows?

A1 cows are generally Holsteins and Friesians. Apparently the A1 cows milk contains the small protein (peptide), BCM 7, a very powerful opiate and has some undesirable effects on animals and humans. The contention is that A2 cows milk would not cause those undesirable effects. If you ever do A2 cow’s milk as a 5-day experiment, I’d be interested to hear what you find! I’d like to try this little experiment on myself sometime…I think I’ll kefir it though!

25. This is the 4th time I am trying to comment . Keeps getting kicked back !

SHort and sweet this time. Thanks Kevin for unbiased and researched reporting on the raw dairy issue. I have researched a lot and worked with thousands of clients and come to similar conclusions. There are some good videos on youtube by Dr. Mark Hymen and Dr. Walter Veith that I posted to my blog last week when I was discussing this very topic as we prepared for a raw non dairy cheese making class.

Looking forward to the Great Health Debates.

Keep up the good work of unbiased and well researched reporting.

thanks

Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo

26. Amber says:

Is extreme sensitivity towards non-dairy consumers a side affect of eating dairy products?

27. Selina says:

Well, show me a happy cow who is well taken care of and respected as an individual, then I might even consider drinking some of its milk. Like the cows in Bishnoi villages.

But in my country cows are nothing but milk machines.
    I don’t feel any desire nor need to drink any other animals milk, but I do think it’s wonderful that there are these small farms here and there in other countries like UK and US who sell unpasteurized stuff.
    Too bad we don’t have any lands in my country (Finland) to have cows pasturing, everything is covered by forest and we also have something called winter.

This happy cow movement which many say is ecological is something that works only in few places in this world, that’s fine. But when it comes to cold and rough countries that don’t have grasslands it just isn’t possible.

28. oreganol says:

I think one of the major problems is that people just aren’t honest with themselves. They want something to be true, so they just pretend it is even if they have evidence to the contrary. The only people they are fooling are themselves. Personally, I don’t care whether cow’s milk is good or bad for other people. It’s how it affects me that counts and I will decide. But I am usually honest with myself, because my health is more important than keeping up appearances.

I am vegan and it truly amazes me how many really unhealthy people will argue with me that my diet choice is wrong and theirs is right. They just don’t get that their diet made them unhealthy. Many people just don’t know what food actually is. They think heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc just appear out of the blue and that their diets and lifestyle have nothing to do with it.

The world is crazy.

29. ajit says:

Good article but i think milk of cow and other animal have different effect upon different human beings .iam from india .being a jain a staunch vegetarian but milk and its produts are not considered under non veg diet.ayurved also recommends milk ,ghee etc.to human beings depending upon a person nature.more research on objective basis is needed on this issue .

30. charles gray says:

Read a book called “Man versus Toothache” by Dr. George W Heard, unfortunately out of print,but you can down load a copy, by sending a small donation to Holistic Agricultural Library at
    http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html Plus many more out of print books on agriculture and health. Avery useful site for anybody interested in organic gardening and health

31. For some really interesting informative on raw dairy, listen to the podcast we did with Daniel Vitalis: http://www.ritefoodandcompany.com/Podcast/, episodes 45-47.

Just offering another view.

In health,
    Lisa Marie
    Owner of Rite Chocolate and 1/3 of the Sweet Peas Podcast Team

32. me says:

Interesting. I’m glad you found out what works for you (and what doesn’t). I have had times in my life when raw cow’s dairy didn’t work for me and times when it really felt nourishing and gave me no skin, tummy, sinus or other problems. Lately, grains & fruit have not been working for me at all, and no matter how many people told me that fruit & grain were “good for you”, it didn’t change the fact that having even small amounts of these foods in my diet was making me rapidly gain weight, have an upset tummy, lose my insulin sensitivity, etc. It is not easy to let go of the dogma & expert opinions/information to be really honest about what is working or not working for our bodies & health, but I think it is one of the more valuable things we can learn to do.

33. steve meller says:

Do what works best for YOU ! We are all different in so many ways ! Superior attitudes and comments do not serve anyone. True health is combined of Body,Mind, and Spirit.
    Peace,
    Steve Meller

PS: Kevin I know a guy who had similar outbreaks that you described when you drank milk.Turned out for him that the dairy was actually working as a detoxifier, hence the releasing of toxins through the skin!?!? He has chosen to continue drinking milk and appears to be doing well.

34. David says:

Great article Kevin. These days it is so hard to believe any expert opinion on health and diet unless you actually try things for yourself. I also like your concept about feeling good in short term but impacting your health in mid to long term. I guess that’s where getting your blood tests done on regular basis can help.

Keep up the great work…

35. Nancy S says:

Wow, it’s not often I get my question quoted in the next day’s blog! Thanks so much, Kevin, for going into detail about raw milk. You’re right, we should keep it to a minimum if we choose to drink raw milk. It tastes so great that it’s so easy to increase the consumption. I was mainly drinking it because I wasn’t getting enough calories on this diet.

36. Lorna says:

Listen, bottomline, whether you can withstand any kind of milk or not, cow’s milk is for cow’s babies -calves, goat’s milk for baby goats, human milk for human babies etc. Get it and shut up!

Peace!

37. Thank you Kevin for the data (as inflated as it might be) and your personal experience. I agree that everyone is different and should be not be judged for the decisions they make. We all have to do what is right for us and even though people might have their beliefs it is my choice to drink organic pasterized milk.

38. steve meller says:

Reply to Lorna

Thanks for being “THE AUTHORITY” on who should drink what and sharing the “Bottomline” with everyone!
    Get it and shut up ?? No thanks!

It would be great if it was just that simple,however my experience and research has once again proven “different strokes for different folks”…. and so on… and so on !

Peace,
    Steve Meller

39. Connie says:

I think a major reason why people keep consuming dairy products is the fact that a whole lot of our culture’s recipes are built around them and it’s hard to find suitable substitutes. Cream-of-xxx soups and cream puddings, creamy sauces, tasty omelettes, etc., for example. I’ve been trying to find a non-dairy way of making those. Don’t want tofu! I must admit that I am specifically looking for survival food recipes that require dehydrated powdered whatever that can sub for the dairy, so that’s probably why.

40. Laura says:

It’s interesting to me that several posts stated that their bodies “tolerate” raw milk over pasteurized. I’m not thinking that “tolerate” is what I want for my body. Vibrant health is more like it!

I do recognize that for many people consuming milk is an emotional issue with strong ties to mother’s love and tradition. In a society so shattered and disenfranchised, the emotional need for milk probably drives the perceived physical “need”. Add to that the huge lobbying and advertising campaigns trying to convince us that “milk does a body good” no wonder people want to drink milk.

My partner and I (both primarily vegan for many years now) have experimented with raw goat cheese (tastes lovely) but both of us woke up the next day, every time, with snotty noses and crusty eyes. Obviously, not for us. And so why go there? I can make delicious Almond or Coconut Milk yogurts and fabulous cultured Nut Cheeses or even buy these things online or at Whole Foods. We feel better, and we’re aren’t supporting using animals for our own pleasure. Just seems like a Win-Win to me.

41. PE says:

About Maasai people, their milk (these days and maybe when less settled too) is fermented; and they are also known for ritual drinking of blood– but then milk is modified blood.
    For a deeper analysis of ‘grass-fed’ animal foods, I recommend Carol Deppe’s The Resilient Gardener as a good read, and for her experiences trying various sources of omega-3s, including grass-fed meats. (pages 69ff) If, some day, you want to see whether raw milk from totally pastured animals (not likely in Canada?) and, best of all, from Guernseys or zebu [A-2 beta casein], still causes a rash, that would cover a big gap in your findings.

42. Melina says:

I wanted to comment on what Steve said about another individual having a skin issue when starting raw milk that turned out to be detox. I have experienced something like this too. I had detox symptoms when I first started raw grass fed goat’s milk. I continued drinking it because these symptoms were similar to what I experienced when I was at Hippocrates Health institue and drinking lots of wheat grass. I had pushed through and continued drinking wheat grass at Hippocrates and eventually felt better. I figured maybe the milk might be similar since it is in some ways concentrated nutrition from grass. I pushed through the detox and have had many benefits from staying on this milk. I had to switch to raw cow kefir at some point because I no longer had the goat milk source. I do well on this too when it is fermented. These milks actually helped me clear up a stubborn skin issue. Hope this is helpful to share my experience.

43. Sue Rushford says:

I had chronic strep throat from ages 15-25 then chronic sinusitis from ages 25-35 – was a vegetarian but not a vegan during those years – then gave up dairy at age 35 and haven’t had one incident since then – sinuses have been cleared up for the past 10 yrs. Funny, I gave it up for ethical reasons but reaped unexpected health benefits.

Of course, I’m referring to pasturized dairy, not raw dairy. I cannot comment on raw dairy other than to say that my brother died after drinking raw goat’s milk in 1972 – cannot prove cause/effect as the autopsy only revealed 3 unidentifiable viruses, but I have a bad feeling.

44. G8trgirl says:

@Connie, For your specific concern, I recently discovered that there is such a thing as powdered coconut milk (who knew?!) There is also powdered soy milk, of course. Search on Amazon. Maybe one of those would work for your needs.

45. Sara R says:

Interesting info Kevin..I had a similar experience this past week while vacationing in Dominican Republic with a friend…we were at an all inclusive resort so the food was plentiful however not exactly raw food friendly let along much vegan options..I found myself trying fish for the first again in almost 4 years along with cooked potatoes and other fried items..the result- terrible acne breakouts all over my face and constipation..clearly my body cannot handle such things since being on such a cleansing diet on a daily basis. I think its always wise to listen to your gut.

46. Yelena says:

I really enjoyed reading your blog Kevin. Thank you for your thruthful words and sharing the experiences. I want to add to all the comments that we sould not disregard the different stages we are going through in our lives as humans. Some of us are choosing to concentrate on spiritual life and then vegan diet is great. Cleansing stages to improve health are best without dairy. But for example childbearing, nursing and taking care of the kids can demand more from a person then being zen all the time and inclusions of milk and eggs could be beneficial.
    And then there is a power of believe. It isn’t only about foods. If we are convinced that raw dairy products are good for us, then we’ll definitely see the benefits or the opposite.
    As for my personal experience, I feel extremely well being vegan, but my child did not thrive on a vegan diet. Once I started including dairy and eggs to his diet he is totally changed into a happy, strong and well developing person. He doesn’t like animal products too much, but really does well eating them. I do give him raw warm milk with spices from organic cows.

Thank you for your wonderful work Kevin!