Delicious Mexican Rice Pilaf (Raw or Cooked!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #747

Wednesday Jan 19 | BY |

We’re back in the kitchen with some new ideas…

Today, Annmarie has an awesome Mexican recipe that is flexible – meaning it can be raw or cooked!

Your question of the day: Would you make this raw or cooked?

Here’s the recipe:

Mexican Rice Pilaf

This recipe is from Kris Carr’s “Crazy, Sexy Diet” book. Which you can check out here.

3 cups wild rice, sprouted or cooked
3 tbsp green onions, diced
1 1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/2 cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 1-3 hours
1 1/2 tbsp miso (Chad suggested white miso)
1 tbsp garlic minced
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil
salt if desired (I didn’t add any, didn’t need it)

Place rice in mixing bowl and hand toss with the green onions, 1 cup tomatoes, cilantro and oregano. Set aside.

In high speed blender (or hand held one) blend sun-dried tomatoes, remaining tomatoes, miso, garlic, chili powder, cumin, lemon juice, and olive oil until smooth.

Toss tomato paste with rice and mix well. 🙂

How to sprout wild rice:

Wild Rice actually blooms and does not sprout. To bloom rice, put your rice in water and leave it there for 4-5 days. Every 8-10 hours change the water by draining and using fresh water.

You will know it’s ready when the rice starts to open up. You can then store in the refrigerator for about a week, but store it in water so the rice does not dry out, again changing the water regularly. Rinse well before serving.

If you put it in the dehydrator at 100-120 degrees it can speed up the blooming process.

1. Great recipe…going to make it this weekend; think I can even get the 3 year old to eat it. I will cook it with brown rice just like AnnMarie did! Might have to pick up that book too!

2. Barbara Bakie says:

cooked 🙂

3. Diane says:

This sounds so yummy! Can’t wait to try it!

4. Matt from FL says:

This looks awesome! I’d totally go cooked with the rice. I like how it is well balanced with fresh raw ingredients as well! (the onions, cilantro and tomatoes) !! Good show, much love to you guys :)!

5. Ineke says:

I’m going to try this recipe soon. My daughter loves wild rice and I would cook it..It is quick, easy and balanced with the raw ingredients

6. jackie says:

I probably would cook it, though I’ve had raw wild rice before. It was good, but you do need to spend a bit of time chewing it!

7. Carol Sue says:

Yes, I would try this just as Ann Marie made it. So does that mean it is “cooked” because of the cooked wild rice? How much Cilantro? I’m pretty new to cooking “Raw” so I need lots of instruction. Is this Recipe for 2 people? Wish this came with a shopping list. I could give it to my husband and send him shopping. We usually cook together. It’s more fun that way. Can’t wait to try it!

8. Renee says:

Delicious! Raw!

9. Gina says:

Sounds great, will try it both ways especially for intro to visitors.

10. Velda says:

I might do this raw with sprouted quinoa. TruRoots takes a very short time to sprout and is delicious!! This recipe sounds really good. I will try it some time. If I cook it, I would still use quinoa 🙂 Thanks,

11. Peg says:

I often use cooked wild rice, but will try the sprout or bloom method as well. I also like quinoa and would probably add a bit to this recipe, too. Looks really good!

12. Charlotte says:

Definitely cooked; i don’t think my stomach would like sprouted raw rice.. i didn’t know you could find raw wild rice though; i thought it came toasted because that’s how they remove the husks. very interesting.

13. Catherine Meade says:

Looks good! Think I’ll try it cooked – with quinoa.

14. Suzan says:

I would sprout short brown rice or quinoa or bloom the wild rice and then soften it in the dehydrator or cook it. This recipe deserves some serious experimentation…

15. Louise says:

@Carol Sue. It looked like about 1/2 C cilantro. I’m sure you could use less or more depending on personal taste.

16. Tyra McMahon says:

quick recipe. I would use the cooked rice. I’ve tried raw sprouted rice and raw sprouted beans and my tummy cannot digest it as good. I like the fact that the rest of the ingredients are raw. Best of both worlds.

Thank you!!!

17. nice recipe! I would make it cooked in the cooler weather (winter) and raw in warmer weather(summer)— however, when cooking the grain, I would let it cool off at room temp before adding any of the raw ingredients.

18. Adrienne says:

Totally Raw.. i would love to find a way to eat raw brown rice and have it be soft and not chewy.. , but until then, i will just chew my wild rice for hours before swallowing 🙂

looks like an awesome recipe. I am going to try and make it this weekend.

19. Sandi S says:

I’d do cooked and possibly with quinoa instead of rice…or both!

20. oreganol says:

I’d make this cooked, as sprouting rice takes too much planning. I wouldn’t mind using sprouted rice if someone else did the sprouting. LOL.

21. kelly says:

I would have both cooked and also try it with raw cauliflower for the rice.

22. Leam says:

Definitely cooked. To be a true pilaf, the spices and rice would be sauteed in the oil, cooked in water or broth until tender and then add all the fresh vegetables and herbs. This way the rice is really infused with flavor. Thanks for sharing – look forward to making!

23. debbie says:

Well, I would not make this with either rice or sprouted rice and would make this with califlower…..the califlower would act as the rice when I put it in the food processor…..and it would be quicker and I would stick with raw! DELICIOUS!

24. Brenda says:

cooked with Quiona!

25. Marianne says:

Pilaf or pilav is from the Turkey/Greece region.. 😉

26. Danielle says:

Looks great will try it soon.(raw)

27. Beth says:

Since it is winter, I would make it cooked. Haven’t tried sprouting wild rice, but may do in the warmer weather.

Looks delicious!

28. Coleen says:

Thank you for the recipe. I would make mine raw with wild rice!

29. Janette says:

Most likely cooked…sprouting wild rice sounds like a lot of work/long time. Maybe with sprouted quinoa though I’ve yet to try sprouting that! Looking forward to trying this recipe this weekend. Thanks!

30. RawGuru says:

Wild rice is great sprouted or “bloomed”! I love the nut-like flavor and chewy-ness. Great recipe, i’d make it raw! = )

31. If you’re going to eat rice, you might as well cook it. I’m not one to wait 3 or 4 days to sprout something just for one recipe. I think I’d like to eat it warm also. But then again, I don’t even like Mexican rice, so I probably wouldn’t even make it. 🙂

32. Maria says:

It looks DELICIOSO, I ‘ll try it raw. I love your show

33. Sarah Love says:

YAY! So happy to see making a recipe from Kris Carr’s book! Annmarie, you and Kris are health goddesses! 🙂

34. Nick says:

In the summerIf I would make it raw I would use cauliflower instead of wild rice but I would probably do quinoa cooked for the winter

35. Sue Rushford says:

Looks delish! Whatever I have on hand – sprouted wild rice, cooked brown rice, or cooked quinoa – can’t go wrong with the garlic & cilantro – YUM!!!! And thanks for sharing a recipe from this new book – was curious – saw Kris Carr on Good Morning America – hope the recipe book does well 🙂

36. Cathy Hamilton says:

Tried it with cooked wild rice, since I had everything on hand and wanted to try it right away. It was awesome!! Wonderful, fresh flavors!! I WILL try the recipe with sprouted wild rice, too. Thanks so much for the yummy recipe and all you two do!!

37. Cici Cummins says:

I think it would be great on spiralized zucchini raw “noodles” which I would do currently. Somtimes I like a “mixed” version of the raw/cooked rice: meaning you could soak your rice at least overnight before cooking. I would cook it the way I learned the macrobiotic way, then.

38. Rose Vasile says:

Sounds like a tasty recipe. Years ago I was disappointed to learn that wild rice isn’t raw. It’s actually a grass seed, not a rice. The seeds are processed at over 200 degrees to remove the husks and kill bacteria. Since wild rice isn’t raw, it can’t be sprouted–just bloomed. My understanding of blooming is that rice expands as it absorbs the water it’s soaking in.

39. Cindy says:

hi guys,
    This recipe looks great. you mentioned that you tried 2 from that book, could you post the other recipe soon.
    In regards to this recipe i have some Wild rice in my cupboard that i have never tried. I am going to “bloom” it as you suggest and try it that way.
    One question do you “bloom” it at room temperature on the bench for the 4 – 5 days, not in the fridge. i assume yes but just wanted to make sure. Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but i am not a raw foodie , i just love to try out the recipes you guys post. i have done some sprouting and soaking and i think most, if not all, is done at room temp as i think the cold stops the process. Any confirmation would be appreciated. thanks and have a great day

40. Cindy says:

Sorry, had another question.
    What exactly is MISO and what could i substitute for it? i read that it is a fermented soybean paste, so i guess it’s the fermenting process that makes it okay to consume/
    What does it do for this recipe- does it help to bind it and is there a substitute for it and the purpose that it serves.
    Thanks

41. QC says:

I could use this recipe with cauliflower instead of rice. But I still have some concerns regarding miso. I love the taste of miso & cultured vegetables, but it seems that they give me problems every time I consume them.

The other night, my husband and I made 2 big bowls of miso soup with pak choi, seaweeds, mushroom and kelp noodle. We pour hot (but not boiling) water onto the vegetables and mixed with miso. The taste was fine and the vegetables were still half raw. However, I got serious bloating and extreme tiredness after I ate them.

Is it more likely to be a problem with miso or cooked food?

42. Here in Tamilnadu, the tropic state on the south in India, we get a pounded rice- crushed-flattened rice- called Aval in Tamil or called Poha in Maratti or Hindi(available in north also).
    This is rice pounded or crushed at not so high a temperature so that the nutrients remain inside safely. My fav preparation without cooking is with this main base ingredient! AVAL!!
    We take this in a vessel, spray a quarter glass of good water over it and stir it. Then we add simply a paste of chutney(used for idli- that is coconut with green chillies, curry leaves, jeera, garlic,asafoetida, black saltand water).
    This is just tasting like cooked. I got a recognition for this RawDiet that fills the stomach and wont make you crave for something more elsewhere.
    D.PARAMESWARAN, One time RawEater for so many years now, http://www.sunflowerdance.com
    ALL DISEASES CAN BE CURED WITH OUT A BROUHAHA, WITHOUT UNNECESSARY FUSS, BY FASTING AND SWITCHING OVER TO UNCOOKED DIET- Said my Guru Ramakrishnan, Nature Scientist,Sivasylam.

43. Jessic a says:

I’m not going to lie. I don’t like sprouted grains so I always cook them!

44. Rebecca says:

thanks for the recipe. I will be bringing this to Christmas dinner. Yum!

45. Lisa says:

Just made this tonight and it was heavenly. I followed the recipe- cooked the rice- did not add miso and added jalapeno. It was awesome- my first “raw” meal and even my hubby loved it!

First experience with Wild Rice- smelled disgusting while cooking – but tasted so good!

I got the recipe from Kris Carr’s book but found your site because I wanted to log the meal on My Fitness Pal and needed the actual recipe and didn’t want to type it!