Renegade Health Best of Random 2010 : The Renegade Health Show Episode #733

Thursday Dec 30 | BY |

Today, we’re going to award the “Best of Random”…

These are awards that really didn’t fit into a category, or we (or you) thought of them after we finished some of the other categories!

In this episode, we share the best health book, best raw food book, best place to spend $100 on health, who makes us think the most, best documentary and more.

Your question of the day: What are your votes for Best of Random 2010?

Best Health Book 2010:

Top Dog: Born to Run, Christopher McDougall
Runner Up: Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever? by Clinton Ober, Stephen T. Sinatra, and Martin Zucker

Best Documentary:

Top Dog: Burzynski
Runner Up: Simply Raw – Reversing Diabetes for 30 Days

Best New Insight We Had:

Top Dog: You are what you digest.
Runner Up: Raw isn’t law.

Best Raw Food Book Published in 2010:

Top Dog: Ani’s Raw Food Essentials
Runner Up: Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets by Brenda Davis, Vesanto Melina, and Rynn Berry

Who Makes You Think the Most:

Top Dog: Paul Stamets
Runner Up: Daniel Vitalis

Favorite Fermented Food Product:

Top Dog: Goldmine Garlic Sauerkraut
Runner Up: Tonix Coconut Kefir

Best Exercise:

Top Dog: Hiking
Runner Up: Kettlebells

If You Were to do One Thing in Nutrition, What Would it Be?

Top Dog: Green Smoothies
Runner Up: Digestive Enzymes / HCL

Best Raw Food Chef:

Top Dog: Cherie Soria
Runner Up: Nomi Shannon

Who Should Have a Raw Food Prepbook:

Top Dog: Lori Clayton-Temple
Runner Up: Shivie and Cemaaj (The Cook and The Butler)

Best Place to Spend $100 on Health

Top Dog: www.Personalabs.com (Use the coupon code RENEGADE5 for 5% off!)
Runner Up: Save it for a Vitamix
If You Have a Vitamix: Join a CSA
If You’re in a CSA: Spend it at Chocolatree in Sedona, AZ

1. Brianna says:

Best of Renegade Health:

-Emphasizing the importance of blood testing
    -Annmarie’s Skin Care Line
    -Highlighting stress reduction techniques & their importance
    -Creating the RHS Community
    -All the interviews with Dr. J.E. Williams made available to purchase
    -Bringing Cinnamon tea to the masses (srsly, AMAZING tea)
    -Shining light on Chaga!
    -“the 7 things I learned this week” newsletter

I could go on all day- pretty much everything you’ve done this year has helped me dramatically. You guys are a major blessing! Lots of love from this girl 🙂

2. Heloisa says:

Great way of wrapping up 2010, really very useful, thank you. Keep up the good work in 2011 and beyond. God bless you guys,

Heloisa.

3. Sharon says:

Best exercise: hill running and hooping (2011 for latter!)

Yes to Lori having a book!

$100 for health: something that works for EMF protection…grounding mat, cell phone protection, magnetic insoles, etc AND organic seeds! Plant a garden or grow some sprouts!

One thing in nutrition is pretty tough but I guess enzymes or fermented foods would be number one.

I watched a lot of documentaries this year. Not really a documentary but I really enjoyed “Free Food and Medicine” by Marcus Rothkranz, a 5 DVD set which could have been ten times longer in my opinion.

You guys? The Inner Circle of course!

4. Joe W says:

I appreciate all you guys have shared this past year! You make a great team and love the interaction on the videos. I also like the variety in your posts. Some of the “best of” comes from “what I learned this week” segments. As we collectively experience and grow, some understandings have been revised so I’d like to hear your top myths, updated truths, etc. Thanks for intelligently distilling the mass of conflicting information and sharing the gems and the sources with humility, humor and helpful intent. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Cheers!

5. Barbara W. says:

Really enjoying these shows this week 🙂

6. iam says:

So what do you have against David Wolfe? Is it envy or jealousy? Do you know something we don’t. Just asking.

7. Hey, thanks for another great year! I have a question off topic and couldn’t find any previous shows about it. I am wondering your opinion of doing niacin flush cleansing and if it can be harmful? I took one pill today and was totally flushed with rash all over. An hour later I felt great with mental clarity. This is not something I want to continue until I do the research so your input would help a lot!!

Thanks,
    Christie

8. Chris G says:

Stamets really gets me thinking too! Good stuff.

My wife, Julie, would like to add the creator of “Earthships” (Michael Reynolds) gets her thinking.

9. jackie says:

Kevin…you can sing?! You should do it more often :).
    Thanks for the entertaining show.

10. Jasmine says:

I was NOT impressed w/ chocolatree. I find it so crazy that you chose them over like a bizillion other raw restaurants in LA and toronto (cruda cafe)..and cafe grat

11. Annmarie- love your sweater! Kevin- love your haircut! You guys have a wonderful new year.

12. Gerry says:

kev- writing to you because you can’t write to david wolfe- and he is your pal- in the david wolfe “longevity” video about water, with Daniel Vitalis speaking- he says water is the only room- temp liquid- he forgot about mercury.

then he talks about amorphous glass vs. crystalline quartz and compares them with water molecules. And claims water can be a liquid crystal. “water can hold information in the liquid crystal” and computers of the future will be made out of water.”

hogwash!

13. oreganol says:

I think the ‘raw isn’t law’ is the best. But it can also be applied to most other things. To many people are hung-up on there being only one way to do anything. There are many ways to achieve health. Eating more raw is one of them. For most people, changing their bad diet to a cooked diet that included lots of greens would work very well.

Raw, as well as other diets are also marketing in a misleading way. For example, “I changed from eating 10 burgers and fries a day to eating raw and lost weight, so raw is the only diet that works” type of claim. Changing from such a rubbish diet to almost anything else would help you lose weight. If people want to make such claims they need to compare to other diets. So put 5 people on raw and 5 people on cooked with emphasis on vegetables and I bet the cooked people would lose a similar amount of weight.

Raw is good, but certainly not law. And 100% raw doesn’t work for many people.

14. oreganol says:

Who Makes You Think the Most: Kevin Gianni.

15. Lorra says:

Best exercise – definitely hiking, but also surfing, and HOOPING!

I LOVED Born to Run. I don’t even run and it was fascinating, and I got a pair of Vibrams 🙂

16. Andrew says:

Been a vege since aged 11. I was a little shocked when I came across this, from someone that twitter found “similar to me” Would like opinions on it. It raises some issues. http://youarewhatieat.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-i-eat-meat-part-1.html

17. Tracy says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    Please forgive me, I am new to your site (been looking around for a couple of days).

I am not a raw vegan, a regular vegan or even a vegetarian. I have been trying to become healthy for years and I fail continuously. I have been able to be vegetarian for 75% of the time. This is a huge accomplishment for me. This is my building block to start with and I want to improve from here. I came to your site looking for recipe ideas and what not.

You have me very intrigued. When you said “Raw isn’t law” what does that mean? I tried searching for a video to explain this but didn’t find any. What made you not be 100% raw? Can you let me know what to search for?

I’m gathering information to figure out my path in this world. I love your site and thank you for all of your information, excitement and enthusiasm. You guys are an inspiration.

Thank you kindly.

18. Darlene Santano says:

Best of :

Your Ceylon Cinnamon and Raw Cacao for sure!

Best exercise:

Is and always will be Crossfit because it encompasses balance, endurance, strength and stamina all in one and we use kettlebells a lot!

Happy new year guys! Look forward to more good tips from you in the new year!

19. Luke says:

Best (non-serious) thing in 2010: The addition of the “meow” cat at the end of every episode. Every time I see it I laugh and try to copy it. Brilliant stuff 😀

20. Lori says:

I just now saw this show!!!! So many people kept requesting me on Facebook saying you told them I should have a raw food dessert book…I was so confused! So I started looking around……You guys are the sweetest EVER!!!! I am SOOOOOO honored!!!!! I ADORE you!!!!
    By the way… Book is in the works! <3 to you both!!!!! Lori

21. Nomi says:

Kevin and Annmarie thanks for the kudos re runner up for best raw chef. Here’s an interesting little factoid: my good friend Cherie Soria and I were both born on May 31!

Does that mean anything I dunno…
    hugs, nomi