Do Carrots Absorb Pesticides? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #721

Tuesday Dec 14 | BY |

Today, we have the great start of an interview series with Elaine Wilkes…

In this first installment, she’s going to talk about the doctrine of signatures as well as talk about an experiment she did with carrots that you might find shocking…

Your question of the day: What do you think about Elaine’s experiment?

To read more about Elaine Wilkes, please click here: http://www.elainewilkes.com/

1. James Israel says:

the results are the proof!

2. TW says:

Nature isn’t branded or come in flashy packaging (well some of them does). It doesn’t have it’s own commercial or jingle or marketing team (although Kevin and Annmarie are doing a good job of promoting it). Yes, just like that violin virtuoso in plain clothes wearing a ball cap in the subway, many people don’t really notice amazing nature and what it has to offer all of us in just about every area of our lives. They don’t “listen” to what it is trying to tell us. It has a master designer. What human can do better than him? Btw, you can read about that experiment here in the Washington Post- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html.

3. Daniel Alves says:

It’s not scientific(that would require using the “scientific method”), but it does show that water-based food dyes get absorbed through the leaves and into the center of the carrot first.

I think one can assume that anything that would be absorbed by the greens would first present itself in the center of the carrot. I doubt it would stop there though. Another experiment with more time might show that the dye ends up in the entire carrot.

Also, pesticides get washed into the soil and they would certainly get to the outside of the carrot.

It doesn’t really matter though. It’s obvious to only eat organics. I would hate to see people hear this and think, “Brah, carrot centers are so schwag”

4. crow says:

I agree with Elaine, the pesticides go into the carrot, but washing fruit and veggies does eliminate some of the pesticides.

5. Barry says:

Geez!! WTF next from The Great American Disease Revolution?

6. Kevin and Annmarie! I really enjoy your emails and you have a great website! That interview with Elaine is super. What a graphic description of the dangers of eating non-organic carrots! I think we can apply that to ALL veg and fruit! Whether it’s scientific or not, as we say here in Ireland, ‘the proof is in the pudding’ ie the photograph of the carrot says it all! Thanks for your great work!xx

7. Heather says:

Science does include observation of certain actions and though she did not use pesticides to confirm the conclusion it is pretty compelling evidence that what is put onto the green tops does get through to the very core. Just like what we put onto our skin gets into the center of us. It makes a lot of sense.

Thank you for this interview.

8. Oscar says:

What would make you think there should be a disconnect between the leaves and the root?
    Don’t the leaves “feed” the root through photosynthesis? The bigger question is what fruit/veggies DON’T absorb pesticides from the leaves and propagate it throughout the entire plant?

9. Prudence says:

Im glad that I only buy organic carrots!! Thats crazy, people need to KNOW these things, then maybe organic can become more available to everyone. If EVERYONE is educated, the big farms might start doing things like the little guys.. AHHH…

10. Kristine says:

Kevin, you are right. A scientist would perform a similar test/experiment to determine how food coloring is absorbed by the plant. Thanks. This looks like a very interesting week of videos.

11. Linda says:

If you soak vegetables and or carrots in 11.5 pH water it will remove the pesticides. You must
    make sure the ll.5 water is ionized, micro clustered, alkaline water from a good water ionizer i.e. Kangen Water ionizer. This
    is the beauty of this machine.
    You can see this done with tomatoes at http://www.kangendemo.com

12. nick says:

While it doe not give a specific measurement of how much and the potency of the dye/pesticde is obsorbed into the carrot it clearly indicated that some of it is absorbed; Which is good enough 4 me to continue to buy organic carrots. They are not that more expensive then pesticide carrots in fact they are Much cheaper in the long run when you add your medical bills from the side effects of the pesticides that were obsorbed into your body when you ate the carrots.

13. kristhiana says:

Nope. Not scientific. Just plain good sense in an obvious result. I love it.

14. Nomi Shannon says:

Whoa! What an interesting conversation with Elaine Wilkes! I just put out a blog on Dec 4th with some really pretty graphics, called God’s Pharmacy:

I had never heard the term ‘Doctrine of Signatures’ before but there it is with cool graphics right on that blog. I have been well aware of this concept for many years, I think I remember lauging at it the first time I heard about it. But it’s so elegant, really, isn’t it? So many things about natural health/nature are so simple sometimes they are hard to grasp in this modern age of ours.

This blog has the same information that I’d been seeing for years but done up in a really effective way.

15. paul harper says:

Thanks for the interview.It would be interesting to juice the carrot and see if the dye ends up in the juice or the pulp or both. Thanks Paul

16. Nick says:

That what goes on the leaves goes down thru the carrot/care-root begs the question if they use pesticides, chemical fertilizers right up to the time past where they could be flushed out before harvest. Even if this was common practice it still would not excuse pesticide use, as it still poisons ground water, kills off microbes & mycellium, both of which have symbiotic relationship with all plants. Plus, chemicals push the growth of food plants, but do not really nourish with the proper breadth of nutritional profile to leave any nourishment after digestion (hence having an over all stripping effect?), so our conventional petro-chem-grown food is internally empty, a trojan-like threat to our food security…unfortunately unheralded. Then too, it was monocropping that rationalized all agri-chem use, cuz with polycropping, the diversity of decay of each different adjacent plant type nourishes while not as if lining all the plants like ducks in rows to be mown down with guns (chewed up by pests). It’s not surprising that nature is designed so blatantly to speak to us, cuz we’re pretty dense, dunce & heedless etc as a group, to say nothing of you beautiful individuals 🙂

17. Kuru says:

I love this revealing experiment! It reminds me of the importance of spraying Maxi-crop seaweed on the foliage of everything I grow every week; it makes a huge difference!

I’d just like to remind everybody too that organic refers not only to NO pesticides, but NO chemical fertilizers, which I’m sure are just as toxic as the pesticides, loaded with inedibles!

18. Vitamin B12 says:

There are a few foods that are particularly prone to have pesticide residues. I think they are lettuce, apples and carrots. I know there are others but can’t remember offhand. When produce is tested by UK supermarkets these are the ones that always seem to have the most pesticides.

It may not be scientific, but it seems common sense to me that if food coloring can get to the center of the carrot, then so can pesticides. Everything doesn’t have to be about science. We have common sense foe a reason. We just need to use it more often.

Obviously the way to find out for sure is to test store bought carrots for pesticides.

19. Kristin says:

Another great interview. nice work.

20. Mark says:

The only comment I have is what is how absorptive are pesticides versus food coloring. A good example of what I am saying is the skin. Some oils sesame for example are quickly absorbed by the skin and other oils olive for example are not as absorptive. I assume and it may be a wrong assumption that this does also apply to plants.Nevertheless I will not be eating commercial carrots, organic only

21. Velda says:

Does it have to be deemed “scientific” to know that it is logical, common sense, and what she did is still conclusive ….. the food coloring wound up in the center of the carrot. Can’t argue with that. That’s the way nature works. Seems compelling enough to make sure that you buy organic whenever you can. Thanks Kevin for bringing this to us.

22. Beth says:

Either way, it makes for a great visual.

23. angie leigh says:

Absolutely fascinating. I am definitely going to be looking into purchasing her book as well as learning more about her as a educator. She seems very well balanced and very knowledgeable. Thanks again Kevin for another great video!

Her experiment on the carrot is absolutely valid and certainly scientific.

24. Richard says:

I THINK THIS IS A BUNCH OF NONSENSE. I BELIEVE WE CAN GO TO AN EXTREME WITH SOME OF THIS STUFF. I’VE JUICED A POUND OF CARROTS EVERY DAY FOR YEARS, AND TAKE NO PRESCRIPTION DRUGS AS I HAVE NO KNOWN DISEASE—OR NO SYMPTOMS. THIS TYPE OF REPORT MAY TURN PEOPLE OFF TO EATING OR JUICING CERTAIN FOODS IF YOU DON’T WANT TO OR CAN’T PAY $4 OR $5 A POUND FOR ORGANICS.

25. Connie says:

This reminds me of the experiment everyone does at some point when homeschooling–putting a stick of celery into a glass of water with red food dye. Eventually, the leaves turn red. Never occurred to me to do this with carrots. Wonder what other veggies/fruits one could try this with…

I especially like her comment that all of this shows DESIGN. The fact that there is obviously design in nature means that there is a DESIGN-ER. Let’s be sure to credit HIM with the creation, instead of worshipping the creation itself! I think a lot of people are recognizing how awesome a world we have been given but sadly worship it instead of the One who gave it.

26. Chuck says:

The results are NOT scientific. Not even close. We know nothing about the comparitive solubility of the coloring she used vs any other pesticides. We also know nothing about things like the molecular weight or other properties of the coloring vs any pesticides. These properties (such as its hydrophilic/phobic) solubility would determine update of a compound and distribution within a plant.
    Now I alway buy organic when possible and don’t like the use of chemicals on food …but come on this is what gives statements like this a BAD NAME!

27. Don says:

I love it. A couple of red heads talking about carrots. Where is the symbolism there?

28. Chuck 26 is just right, this can’t be considered cientific, because of all the factors he describes. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer organic food, but that is like saying all raw food is bad because raw kidney beans are bad…Just because the water with the dye entered the carrot, doesn’t mean a pesticide will.

29. David Smelser says:

I think it is fairly scientific, but I don’t use conventional products that are grown in the ground because I assume that a lot of the chemicals end up in the soil and then would be absorbed by the root. Apples I understand are high in chemicals because they use systemic chemicals that are introuduced into the soil and then permeate the entire plant including the apple.

30. Thomas says:

There was an article last summer forwarded around that depicted the relationships between foods and similar looking body parts at:

31. It’s scientific for me. Amazing. I would have never known that. I love organic produce. It’s the best. Thanks for another great episode.

32. freedom fighter says:

omg that is some serious stuff its crazy the more you learn the more you realize how little you know things

33. Lena says:

makes a lot of sence to me. The same goes for potatoes, they use Round up here in OZ on the crops and where is the poison. In the potatoes

34. Chris G says:

If this test can be replicated it means it follows the principles of scientific experimentation. We grew a lot of our own carrots this year. Nothing even ate them so I don’t see the need for pesticides anyway!

35. Wendi says:

I think that she uncovered something that then warents further investigation done properly. Even without that I buy organic carrots partly because at least where I live they are pretty cheep.