How to Make Ceylon Cinnamon Tea and My Thoughts on Body Typing : The Renegade Health Show Episode #719

Friday Dec 10 | BY |

Annmarie and I have been enjoying our ceylon cinnamon tea all holiday season…

Today, we sat down and realized that we hadn’t shown you how to make it. The tea tastes like “magic,” which was how Sharon West described it when we let her taste it a few weeks back. (You’ll find out who Sharon is in the next few months!)

I also talk about my own thoughts on the body typing diet.

Your question of the day: Could you identify 5 plants you could eat in your woods if you needed to survive for a day or two?

You can find ceylon cinnamon here: Click here to get ceylon cinnamon

1. mary says:

I don’t know what 5 things that I can eat. The only thing thing that I may be able to eat if i can find it are some berries and maybe a common weed. (can’t think what it is called at the moment.)

2. Mary Artemis says:

But I’m open to learning.

Mary from STamford, CT

3. Define “Ceylon”, please. We have tea bags that say, “Organic Ceylon Tea” It does not taste like cinnamon. Does Ceylon refer to a place?

4. Sharon says:

In my local woods there’s not a heck of a lot of plant variety but loads of mushrooms. I gather blackberries, horsetail, rosehips, dandelion and stinging nettle but it also depends on the season. There should be some chickweed but this is not like the woods in Ontario! I could survive a day or two without food though. There’s some herbs like mullein in the sunnier areas but I’m not sure if it’s edible or just good for tea (or smoking!). I’d be more concerned about bears than food if I were stuck there for a couple of days.

5. Nick says:

I can in the spring, summer and fall but the winter is a little more difficult pine needles, I Field garlic,onion grass,rose hips it would be nice if u can get a botonist who specializes in winter foraging for edible and medicinal plants. I think I saw Daniel vitalist forge for chaga mushrooms in the winter

6. kristhiana says:

I know of several that are edible but can’t identify them out in the woods. Would love to learn!

Thanks Kevin and Annmarie

7. Elo McMillan says:

Morels-Only available after the first spring rain.
    Gooseberries
    Blueberries
    High bush cranberries- have a very pungent odor that you can’t miss.
    chokecherries
    Red tops
    Pincherries
    wild raspberries
    Chaga

8. Alina says:

Hi Val,
    Kevin means: Ceylon cinnamon bark. He throws just the bark into water and he calls the resulting drink a tea. There is no actual tea leaves there.

9. Re: question of the day… I can identify chaga, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries right in my yard. Does that count? ; )

Re: this tea… I’ve made tea out of my Cassia Cinnamon bark before and can reuse the bark several times. Can you do this with the Ceylon Cinnamon bark? Also, does reusing the Cassia Cinnamon bark reduce the toxic effects (like reusing black tea bags reduces the caffeine)?

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

10. Veronica says:

On Ceylon cinnamon. I was with Kevin and Annemarie in costa rica when they discovered it on our spice farm tour. They came down for my wedding.

Ceylon tea and Ceylon cinnamon are 2 different things.

Ceylon cinnamon is they type of tree the bark comes from. Ceylon is a sweet light cinnamon not like the dark hard as rock false cinnamon that is called cassia.

Cassia is actually not good for you and poor quality cinnamon they ship to the western world. They use ceylon in the countries they grow it in for local use and export the crappy cinnamon because they can make a bigger return on the low quality stuff.

You can reuse the Ceylon cinnamon stick a few times. Its the most delicious cinnamon ever.

11. Vitamin B12 says:

When I was about 5 years old I always used to eat a particular kond of weed that I found growing. I’ve no idea what it was but I always seemed to be attracted to it. My mother couldn’t understand why I kept picking it and eating. I have no idea either, but there was just something about it that made me want to eat it.

12. I have mullein growing around my house like crazy here in Colorado….good for immune system, make it into tea

13. Julianne says:

I, too especially like the foraging episodes.

Do backyards count to answer your question? I go into my back yard and pick delicious greens. I’ve been eating lambsquarter all my life and have been learning to identify others.

For example, I discovered a ubiquitous “weed” called galinsoga. A Google search to find if it was edible returned this:

“On Jun 25, 2006, Sherlock_Holmes from Millersburg, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

“Many would consider this to be a nasty invasive garden pest, and in fact, it is. I use to welcome it, until I learned how easily it propagates itself. It started coming up in all of my pots.

“I will still tout it as a Wild Edible Plant, nevertheless. Here is some information on it from The Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America by Francois Couplan, Ph.D. This pertains to all the Galinsogas of the Americas and G. quadriradiata is very closely related to G. parviflora. In fact, it’s difficult to tell them apart at a glance.

“When young, G. parviflora – naturalized from tropical America – is eaten as a cooked vegetable in Southeastern Asia where the plant has been introduced.

“Named “guasca” in Quechua, it has been used as food in the Andes since the time of the Incas. It is cultivated along with corn and sold in markets. The whole plant is eaten and its flavor is very good. Cooked with chicken and potatoes, it forms the basis of the Bolivian national dish, “agiaco.” ” http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/134483/

14. Rtab says:

When I worked at a camp in northern Canada I taught a class on nature and survival. I showed the kids a whole bunch of natural food which they could eat.

1. Cat’s Tails or Bull Rushes, the root is almost like a potato and is great source of carbohydrates, though you have to boil it or it is very tough.

2. All kinds of wild berries which they would be familiar with, from raspberries to currants, blackberries and blueberries.

3. Garlic Mustard, this stuff is very abundant, it’s an invasive plant which just takes over everything like a weed in your garden. Best off since this is northern Canada, it stays green and alive all winter long.

4. Queen Ann’s Lace or Wild Carrots have a tasty root when it is boiled. Smells and tastes just like a carrot.

5. Wild teas, there are hundreds of plants which you can make tea from in the wild but I liked to give a little history when I taught this. I brewed Ceder Tea for the kids which they all loved. I then explained to them how the Natives gave the first explorers of North America this tea when they were sick from scurvy. They didn’t know that it was high in vitamin C, but it did the trick.

I also had a question about fermented foods. Since bacteria requires sugar to grow, is it possible to make fermented fruits? They have a lot of natural sugar so wouldn’t it be a feeding frenzy for them?

Love your show!

15. Gini says:

Lambsquarters, purslain, sheep sorrel, plantain, and dandelion all grow in my yard. I’m not that familiar with wild edibles in the woods.

About the tea- I made it like you said and there was no flavor or sweetness, just kind of a woody taste. I simmered it for a day and kept tasting it to see if it was done. I think it was a lot of money for not getting any flavor. What did I do wrong?

16. Gini says:

Another note– possibly this is why there was no flavor in my batch of tea– I didn’t break the bark up in pieces, just left it lke it came in the bag. I didn’t remember you mentioning to do that until now. Gini

17. angie leigh says:

Hell No!

18. Chris G says:

Sadly, I would only be able to find 5 things if I had my Rodale’s book with me…

19. Lilith says:

Oh, my… i would just do what I do all the time: Pick whatever comes across my path, and taste it.
    It it’s to bitter I’ll spit it out – it it tastes nice, I’ll eat some to test. If I feel fine, and like the taste, I’ll eat some more.

I live with the assumption that all is well and the nature is a friendly place. 🙂

As fas as i know there are definitely far more things out there that is eatable, than there is poisonous.…
    I’ll just stay away from mushrooms…

20. I wish I could, but I’ve never actually seen anything in the woods that I could identify as edible, except for maybe a dandelion or mint. I have a wonderful herb garden and can identify all of my herbs and vegetables that I grow. If I needed some foraging survival skills, I would pray that I were stranded in the wilderness with Daniel Vitalis. 🙂

21. Cindy in Marin says:

Dandilion, plantain, miner’s lettuce, lambs quarters, wild onion/garlic. Maybe a few more depending on season.

22. Connie says:

I’ve been trying to learn to recognize some, but I’d be afraid to actually do it–unless I had someone who really knows their stuff with me. I might be able to recognize lambsquarters and dandelions and MAYBE plaintain. I’d probably stick with raspberries and blackberries and crabapples, though.

Fortunately, I’ve been learning to enjoy fasting so I could just skip eating for a few days if necessary.

23. bobz says:

Ceylon = Sri Lanka, a country in the far east. It is the place of origin for both Ceylon tea and Ceylon Cinnamon bark. Ceylon cinnamon is different from Cassia Cinnamon, which mostly comes from Vietnam and does not have the health benefits that true (i.e. Ceylon) cinnamon is reputed to have.

24. Karen says:

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I don’t really even know what everything in my own yard is. I’m really worried that if anything happens to our food supply that we won’t know where to get our food!

25. Alan says:

Dandelion (all parts), sourgrass (yellow wood sorrel), wild onion, acorns, black walnuts, white clover, red clover, lamb’s quarter, poke, blackberries, wild cherries, sassafras, dock, knotweed, cattails, violets, ground cherries, dewberries, 2 types of plantain, pine (inner bark), locust bean pods, thistle, wild rose (petals and hips), puffballs, milkweed, tender parts of most grasses, etc.

The cinnamon tea sounds tasty. I bet your house smells great when you’re making it!

26. Brianna says:

ummm… dandelions, red currants, chaga (thanks to the video you just posted about it!), aaaand that’s probably it at the moment. Although I’m trying to get better about it! I just made a friend who is a ecologist and can identify plants pretty easily. By this time next year, I hope I can name 20 or more things. I think it’s absolutely essential that we are able to survive with minimal amounts of modern technology- a) because you never know what tomorrow will bring and b) because if you ever get stranded, you’ll be able to survive! Brilliant! 😀

I just saw Alan’s post (#25) and I didn’t know milk weed was edible! I know what that is. and could definitely identify it! That’s 4! Alriiiight.

27. Alan says:

Hi, Brianna. Milkweed flower buds are one of my favorite wild foods. Pick them just before the flowers start to open. The seed pods will be more plentiful though. Pick them when they’re about an inch long and still tender. I hear butterfly weed (chigger weed) is also edible but I haven’t tried any yet. Can’t wait to try chaga hunting!

28. Eva says:

Hi Kevin, just made a cup of cinnamon powder (don’t have the sticks so always fun to substitute) and hot water tea and it tastes great thanks

29. Angie Smith says:

I don’t know what I could find in the woods, since I don’t spend time there. I know I can identify purslane, malva, yellow dock, lambsquarters, alfalfa, blackberries, raspberries, deer, elk & rabbits.

30. Kristin says:

I want to buy the bark, but it’s out of stock on your site 🙁
    Do you know when you expect to get more in?
    Thanks!

31. zyxomma says:

I’ve been eating wild food for 40 years. Yes, were I alone in the woods (again), I’d have no problem finding food, enjoying it, and staying alive.

32. Velda says:

No, I would not be able to identify anything that is edible in the wild, sadly. Would love to learn. Thanks, Kevin

33. Jennie_Raw says:

Dandelion Greens are a gimme; learned how to prepare acorns the other day; pecans; I can pick out a few grasses; wild onion; stewed dandelion flowers, rose hips;

and one time I even went out and harvested my own cactus for breakfast when I was in the desert outside of Austin, TX. Kind of cold slimy for 7 o’clock on a December morning, though. And then I made a tea with some leaves off a tall bush by crumbling and rolling them and dropping them in hot water… a little risky b/c I had no idea what that plant was!

Have you ever followed Green Deane’s youtube channel called “Eat the Weeds”?? It’s great learning and great fun!!

34. Jennie_Raw says:

my apologies: Green *Dean

35. Ranjani says:

Lisa Marie,

Beneficial compounds in cinnamon is water soluble. Toxic compounds (cumarin) is not water soluble. So if you are making tea with water, you slowly decrease the amount of beneficial products in the tea. Also if you are using Cassia to make tea you are still getting the beneficial compounds without cumarin since cumarin is not water soluble. But the tea doesn’t taste the sweet/magic (Kevins words).

36. BarbaraL says:

You don’t really NEED to eat anything just drink water and you will survive just fine, if not even better. Why do people think they are going to die if they miss a meal or three?

37. Irene says:

Talking about survival when in woods without usual food; yes, I can. I was in several places in Indonesia for the last 5 weeks. In one place, we were walking with some friends. We ended up collecting so many different types of plants; some for salad and others for cooking. Yes, it is possible to thrive even when we take note that all creation has something everywhere for us to eat and enjoy.

38. thea says:

I am surprised you even still stand next to a Microwave !

39. thea says:

Keven, I am really surprised that you are still standing next to a Microwave leaving alone still have one in your home. . . What’s that all about?

40. LynnCS says:

Blackberries are abundant in season, but that’s in season. I have some kind of wild garlic smelling plants all over the place. I would love to try them, but am afraid to. They seem amazing. I love dandelion greens, root and I hear that the flowers are edible. I will collect them. I’m not sure about the mushrooms, but they are all over the place. I’m afraid till I learn more. Fir needles for tea is abundant. Have eaten pine needles when there were pine trees around. I don’t think I have enough knowledge to feed myself in the event of a crisis. I really would like to learn more. I think I might call the extension master gardener to see if they do any walks to learn which items are safe and how to recognize them. Great subject. I would like you to show some videos showing wild edibles. Thanks for the info abt the cinnamon.

41. George says:

Kevin, I must agree with one comment above about adequate hydration helping you to survive, but your point was about our ignorance of edible plants and such in the wild. Australia is a different situation to the USA and there are seasonal foods that the indigenous people know about. There have been some tragic stories about how early explorers died in the Australian outback when there were was food available if only they had known about it. I would direct those interested to the series “The Bush Tucker Man” hosted by an army man who lived with the aborigines and learned their survival skills.

42. Meli says:

Well, this is Florida, so cattail, pickerelweed, peppergrass, purslane, and pine needle. Tomorrow I’m going to attend a foraging class taught by Green Deane! In addition to his YouTube channel, his website has tons of info on edible wild plants: http://www.eattheweeds.com/

43. Dodie says:

Love the hair, Kevin!
    Anyway, besides wild strawberries and blackberries, I could eat dandelion, clover, baby ferns in the spring, and make a tea from evergreen needles…. boy, I’d drop weight fast! LOL!

44. Catherine says:

A few years back, I took a workshop with David Wolfe in NH. As part of it, he took us out in the woods, and showed us all the things that were edible. It would be great if you could get him to do this with you, and make a video to educate those of us who are clueless. Thank you.

45. Ann Scott says:

I live in Florida, and off the top of my head, there are at least 5 foods that I could easily forage around me…the super nutritious “weeds”…dandelion, purslane (that grows in the crack at the bottom of my driveway) and smilax. The leaves of the fabulous Moringa tree that I just planted…and the beautiful fruits of the loquat and citrus trees in my neighborhood.

46. johnnyL says:

Only if there happens to be a resteraunt in the woods. LOL

47. jan Cranch says:

Here are a few of my favorites:

“Goatsbeard, aka vegetable oyster or salsify.”

Hickory nuts- and many others.

Wild leeks, chives.

Wild “Ginger,” Grape leaves and fruits

Queen Anne’s Lace (the carrot or root)

Dandelion root and leaves.

Lamb’s Quarters Pigweed.

These would make a great stew/soup, with mushrooms floating atop! (Use a field guide, unless you are a mushroom “pro!”) Early cultures heated stones to heat food in carved out wood or stone containers.

Pine needle tea or Staghorn sumac “lemonade,” sassafrass or mint tea, goes nicely!

Wild honey or maple sap (winter, early spring only) or black cherry add a fine touch…

Other berries provide variety if ID’d. (Never eat a fruit or berry containing a “lense-shaped,” flattened seed.) Many well illustrated field guides provide confirmation of samples.

Rose hips, wild apples provide viamin C.

Lastly, “Leaflets three, let it be!”
    Poison ivy can be horrible if ingested, or for some, if touched or smoke from burning ivy carries microscopic particles to skin. Dogs/cats/wild animals can carry toxin on fur. Vines, stems without leaves are toxic, as well.

To ease headaches and other discomforts, make an infusion of willow bark as our earliest ancestors did.

Good Luck!

48. James says:

yeah 5 things you can eat in the woods:

wild onions, cat tails (flower), may apples (fruit), dandelions (basically the whole plant), rabbits and squirrels

49. Wendy says:

I have eaten most of the dandelions, but find them in my neighbor’s yards. I have chickweed, cleavers, blackberries, and my container garden! I love lambsquarters but haven’t found any around here.

50. Tara says:

Your skin looks so clear and healthy!

51. Medkid says:

Nettle, dandelion, sorrel, rabbits, deer. ohh and ramson.

52. Jackie says:

Nettle, dandelion and grass. Just plain grass. That’s what Ann Wigmore did in the very beginning. Here in Belgium we have a some mushrooms growing on trees but I’m not shore if you can eat them. Maybe I should find out. So I have 3 out of 5.

53. Kay says:

It would help to know approximately how many sticks per cup of water for the tea recipe. Half a bag or bag isn’t specific enough. I bought my Ceylon cinnamon sticks from Penzey’s and a full bag is 4 oz.

Thanks you for the recipe and vlog.