Wild Foods and Herbs for Healing with Dr. Cass Ingram : The Renegade Health Show Episode #716

Tuesday Dec 7 | BY |

The information in this video with Dr. Cass Ingram is really good…

What’s even more interesting, is that the majority of the people on this tour in the woods are native Cree.

Dr. Ingram shares some knowledge about fireweed, dogwood, poplar, currants and more.

Your question of the day: What do you think about the irony of this video?

To read more about Dr. Cass Ingram and North American Herb and Spice, please click here: http://www.p-73.com/

1. Brianna says:

Happy Birthday Kev!! Thanks for this awesome video. I love the idea of going out and harvesting my own food and medicine in nature. I have to learn a bit more about plants and how to identify them correctly first, but this video is a good start, and inspirational 🙂

Hope you have a GREAT day! Do something fun and relaxing- you deserve it!

2. Brianna says:

I forgot about the question of the day: that’s kind of nutty, bringing natives into nature and having to teach them about it all over again. Sad! I think THIS is the type of thing we should be teaching in our schools- how to grow your own food, harvest wild food and medicine, take care of your health, etc etc. I mean- those are the type of life skills that are important to know!

3. Don says:

happy birthday!
    If you can’t trust your indigenous natives,
    who can you trust? just kidding.
    good point, the old way is truly getting
    lost with modern {lazy} ways.
    keep up the good work, searching for better
    ways to fuel us and just living a fuller life.

take care,
    don

4. Beth says:

I think it is great that they were willing to go into the woods with you and learn about it.
    Now they can pass it on to the rest of the people on the reserve, and then every generation will know about it again.

5. Heather Hemphill says:

It is not surprising that some of the natives do not know. There has been a real travisty in Canada surrounding the treatment of the native population. Many were taken away from their parents and put in “schools” that prevented them from speaking their own languages or learning any of the wisdom that would have been passed down to them from parents and grandparents.

I really love learning about nature and all it has to offer us. Thank you for these videos. I have a Plants of Alberta book by my desk and I looked up everything that he mentioned and we have it here.

So I marked them out and wrote down what he mentioned.

I would love to have someone do this kind of thing in our area near Edmonton.

Thank you.

6. Sheryl says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN Thanks for the video was very informative and inspirational. Now want to go out and harvest herbs but its dec! Keep up the great work. Many blessings to you

7. David says:

What a blast. That is fasinating to see and learn. Thank you Keven and Annmarie.

8. Angie Leigh says:

In our culture we are no longer dependent on gathering our own food or medicine and so naturally we would have no idea about these wild foods until exposed to them. It is certainly unfortunate that the majority of us are not familiar with recognizing and gathering wild foods and medicines (including myself). However it is only to be expected in a culture that has moved so far away from what is a truly natural life experience for us to have. I myself have been taught to not touch foods in the forest because they are most often poisonous. I see now how this was a false generalizing statement, but that was a fear instilled in me at a young age, especially surrounding wild berries.

Thanks, Kevin!

9. Darlene says:

You’re right Kev – it is ironic! Wow! I didn’t realize we have so many of these plants in our own back yard! I’ll have to look for them next summer when I’m out and about!

It would be great if Dr. Cass could come to Edmonton to give a workshop and then take people on a tour of the woodlands in the parks. I’m sure there’s still so much to learn! Thanks for this and Happy Birthday! I’ve got one coming up too!

10. elle-b says:

Heather above hit the nail on the head as to why such information is not widely known amongst such people. But that same system did not discriminate and we all have been purposefully re-educated out of our natural right to self-sufficiency and knowledge of the wild. I am so grateful for everyone who is helping to bring such valuable information back into the mainstream.

MORE Dr Ingram please!

11. Veronika says:

Thanks so much for doing more foraging videos!

12. Dr J says:

It is NOT fascinating to me that Native Americans do not know the medicine now. As the history goes they were pushed out of their lands and put on reservations and have lost a lot of the ways. So it does not fascinate me in the least.
    Second if you cut off the bark of the tree you can damage it further and it can die.
    Third he should be giving the plants offerings and asking if the plants want to give up their life force to heal.
    Just my opinions.

13. fran says:

Dr Ingram is so knowledgeable and interesting. Thanks for having him on the show.
    Happy Birthday to you!

14. Chris says:

I think its very sad. . . they’re neglecting their heritage.

Oh wait! We do that here too. . . everything in a bottle, pill or tablet.. its all very sad..

People no longer respect and appreciate nature and its many wonders. .

Its all very S A D!. .

15. Sophia says:

Medicinal plant knowledge is being lost quickly (scary), so I am very glad you shared this video with us and that Dr. Cass Ingram is teaching them about native plants.

16. Marie-Line says:

To Heather Hemphill

Corrections it is not only in Canada that those things happened, but everywhere the WHITE men went and colonized (we are so SUPERIOR, so CIVILIZED), as if the Americans treated their own aborigenes people better or the British with the Indians and so on.

Happy Birthday Kevin and thanks for all the great work you and Annmarie do

17. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN !!! My husbands birthday was 3 days ago, Sagatarians are great free spirits and travelers.
    Great series with Dr. Cass

18. OM says:

Happy Birthday Kevin!

Thank you for all of the videos with Dr Cass Ingram, i learn so much from each one. It is sad that so much Native wisdom has been lost but fortunately there are many learning the old ways again.

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

19. Janet says:

Happy Birthday Kevin! Hope this is the beginning of a fulfilling, peace-filled, joyful year. But please give yourself a present of more down time over the next months. Your loyal fans will be here if you miss a day or so to chill, regroup and re-energize. Absolutely!! And that’s modelling of a good health strategy in this frenetic world! Thank you for all the wonderful health info you offer us! Dr. Cass Ingram was very interesting. Heather explained the irony well above. I’ll bet there may be some older women out there that know some of the traditional plant medicine. It would be very intereting to have someone like Dr. Cass and a First Nations healer compare their approaches and knowledge.

20. Ed says:

Happy birthday Kevin, circa.1980 the guides and buyers were out of Salt Lake City for the Uintas and the Wind river ranges. That was when respect of high mountain mushrooms and herbs where stressted.Imprint your mushrooms at the base of many dead trees, spread berriers of herbs to many water catches. That was before the looting started, now a backpack of mushrooms,”non Psilocybin” is a crime.Mycelium bodies in the ground grow slow but fruit more now that harvesting has been propigated them. Anywho, my friends that taught me about high alititude mushrooms and herbs are too smart to leave with a heat signature and work smart. Enough said Goodbye.

21. crow says:

We were put on reservations and sent to boarding schools so we could become like the white man. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT? I am extremely disappointed that you did this to native people.

22. Nick says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEVIN !!!!

23. Nick says:

There are plenty in fact most people in the us do have a Clue to what is in their own backyard that is edible or medicinal. My grandmother new the benefit of dandelion but something happened with my parents generation. They became industrially stupid. The chemical companies did a great job into
    Making them believe that any plant that was good for them they called a weed that had to be killed with loads of toxic chemicals. My current neighbor
    Complains about dandelions growing in their yard because of me. They still do not see the connection between the chemicals they put in their llawn and their food to the cancer that they have.
    Happy birthday Kevin keep the forging videos coming thy re great we need to educate everyone yes even natives they have an excuse they were forced into stupidity what is our parents and current generations excuse?

24. Gen says:

Well, the natives I know do know their stuff, so I don’t know where these guys came from.

Hope you had a great birthday!

25. I think it’s sad that the indigenous people have lost touch with their rich heritage.

26. cosmic fire says:

reflecting what crow said above, this film is relevant:

UNREPENTANT: KEVIN ANNETT AND CANADA’S GENOCIDE

“…This documentary reveals Canada’s darkest secret – the deliberate extermination of indigenous (Native American) peoples and the theft of their land under the guise of religion. This never before told history as seen through the eyes of this former minister (Kevin Annett) who blew the whistle on his own church, after he learned of thousands of murders in its Indian Residential Schools…”

27. Catherine Meade says:

Happy Birthday Kevin!
    Thanks for all the great videos you and Annmarie share with us.

28. Paulette says:

What is amazing to me if you are with someone who knows what they are doing you can get all this stuff for free. All I would have seen was weeds. But they were very beneficial to the body. Great information.

Thanks so much. I appreciate all your efforts to help us.

29. None of us know our native ways anymore, unless we choose to study it! Thank you! when can Dr. Case come to the Midwest! -Val

30. Laura says:

How generous of Dr. Ingram to share his knowledge. If only we would get back to nature for our pharmaceuticals. Thank you all.

31. Deanna says:

Fun, Loved it!!! Happy B day Kev.

32. Vitamin B12 says:

Awesome stuff Kev. Whenever I think my knowledge is getting me complete you uncover a whole other area that I know nothing about. I’m very grateful to you for bring all of this to us.

33. Jane Gudge says:

i thinkit is ingenuous of you to be surprised that native people dont know much of their natural heritage..did you know this stuff… why did ingram start to study..because he didn’t know..all his knowledge will have emanated from wise heads who decided to keep learning just as we are..perhaps an indigenous group are just as interested as a group of immigrants/incomers.. they are just waiting for an expert who happens to have focused on this subject
    felicidades

34. Dee says:

I want to know how I find out about other workshops with Dr. Ingram. This is something I would like to do.

35. Sharon says:

Great info. I took lots of notes. I used to read a lot of books about natives and if someone was sick they’d go to the medicine man. They didn’t all hunt for their own medicine. Kind of like people today go to a doctor or naturopath.

What’s happened to our natives here is very sad. They are more likely to be found at McDonald’s than in the forest.

36. This video totally reminded me of me. We own about 2.5 acres of forest and swamp. I asked my botanist friend to walk me around my property and point out some plants so that I could learn what was growing there. Unbelievable amounts of foods and medicines!

Is it ironic? Yes and no. We’re just so dang disconnected. I’d say the AMA has done a good number on us… but I’m biased. ; )

Great vids this week!

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

37. Terry says:

Wow! This has been soooo interesting. I live in Manitoba, Canada and will be looking for these items the next time I’m walking in the forest. Thanks for the great lessons. As for the native peoples well somewhere back in my roots I am also part native but you grow away from your roots and become cityfied. Thanks for bringing me back to my roots…and bark, berries, leaves ect. You’re awesome Kevin and Annmarie. Happy belated birthday Kevin.

38. Kathy says:

Hi Kevin, what can Pico de Gallo be used with?

39. Julianne says:

Hey, check out this upcoming event at White Earth Reservation in Minnesota.

40. Dale & Caroline says:

Please bring back Dr. Cass Ingram many time in the comeing year!