Why Food Science Doesn’t Work : The Renegade Health Show Episode #706

Tuesday Nov 23 | BY |

Recently we got a question about Irish moss and carageenan…

In the episode, I talk about why we can’t use food science to decide which foods we eat.

Your question of the day: What are you doing for the holiday in the U.S. (If you’re anywhere else, what are you doing this weekend?)

1. Ryan says:

I’m running a 5 mile footrace and then going to visit my family for dinner.

The tips from your newsletter will surely come in handy!

I don’t plan to eat any more or less than every other day. I will also not give into the various pies, cookies and other sweets.

2. Karen says:

Love your show. You are both amazing. Thank you for your dedication to health and the health of others.
    No holiday here in South Australia. Yet partner and I off to South East (Robe) as Michael has just becone a 4WD trainer so taking a group sand hill driving for the weekend.
    Enjoy your holiday
    Thanks again.

3. Suzen says:

Regarding chemtrails – started in 1990’s during Clinton administration. Drone planes spray US Patent aluminum based chemical clouds in cross-hatch patterns in sky(no they are not vapor trails from jets) – as that settles, electromagnetic waves from HAARP are sent up to ‘tweek’ the chemical clouds creating ‘weather’. Big problem as these chemicals are now all in our soil, water and in us. New movie out called “WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY SPRAYING?” @ Reality Zone.com.

4. freedom fighter says:

hey I’m visiting family for thanksgiving also i appreciate you guys for doing mon.-fri. shows. You guys really put a lot into them so just letting you know your hard work is awesome!!!!

5. Being Chef by trade, I make food all the time.. So… on holidays, we Fast!
    Thank you for all your great info and for Annmarrie’s FABULOUS skin care products!!!!! After using the anti-aging combo since October, look 5 years younger and ENJOY taking care of my skin.

I am so Thankful for YOU.
    Extra holiday hugs! -Val

6. Ed says:

Hi kevin,Suzen is right the chemtrails have been spraying toxic minerals for some time.The new part is the proof from the British house of commons leaked data.Beyond that “WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY SPRAYING” is a good start.Caught in the act spraying has slowed in the Tampa area. Plant growth is still affected. Watch and learn . Thank You.

7. Ed says:

Did you say why food science doesn’t work?

8. Michael Bryant says:

Hey Kevin… I love what you do, but as a television cameraman some things about nearly all the “Healthy” media out there the production values drive me nuts… Please frame yourself so that your graphic doesn’t cover your face… Or place the graphic on the other side of the frame… I’m just sayin…

9. estheraida says:

I will be at the 6a.m. sun cermony on Alcatraz Island with fellow Indigenous peoples. After that I’ll be off to Cafe Gratitude for a free raw vegan lunch to celebrate Turkey Forgiveness Day! 😉

enJoy!
    esther

10. Marcla Green says:

I am Thankful for you and AM…Mike Adams, Dr. Mercola and David Wolfe among many others.
    Now that that is out of the way, I taking a road trip… my dog and me…from Cocoa Beach (area) to Owensboro Kentucky. To be with my family that side of the states.
    I’m going to take my time and take pictures, enjoy the roadside what is left, before man destroys it all….
    I’m going to wildcraft a bit…..I’m just looking forward to my road trip with my best gal…my Biscotti..my dog.

11. Heather says:

Good show today as it is important to really grasp the reality that the synergism of whole foods is what works best.

I bought the Irish Moss from your site and want to make some salad dressings. Do you have a recipe for honey mustard dressing? I tried to figure it out but my attempt was not so good.

12. Joel Brown says:

OH you know just meating up with the family (apparently Freudian slips happen when typing now) and having to bring my own separate organic, vegan, gluten free dinner!

13. jackie says:

Thanks so much for clearing up the food science statments…they do cause confusion. BTW, I’ve not been a fan of Prince Charles, but saw part of a documentary about what he’s doing to grow organic foods over the weekend…it’s probably worth a watch if you can find it somewhere, and has made me much more favorable in my opinion of him.

14. Catherine says:

I haven’t written before, but I wanted you guys to know how much I appreciate you and look forward to your posts. Thank you so much for all you do for us!!

15. I’ll be celebrating by eating lots of my Thanksgiving (pumpkin pie flavour) Rite Chocolate (www.ritechocolate.com)! : p

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

16. Page says:

I’m fixing a pot of vegan bean & kale soup with a big salad for T’giving dinner and we’re painting our bedroom.
    We live each day giving thanks so, for us, it’s another day of thankfulness for the bounty we share.

17. Hi Kevin, I have a comment I really hope you can address in your show, about what you were saying of the Irish Moss and the toxic it contains, I’m with you, you should treat food as a whole and eat a variety of foods, but, shouldn’t you treat chocolate that way as well, because all I hear in your show about it is how toxic is for you and that you don’t recommend it, but, in spite of being and stimulant it has amazing propierties too, haven’t you thougth for a second that what happpened to you was just that you ate a lot of the stuff? because I just read your newsletter in which you say “I fall in love with a food and eat tons of it and then leave it”.
    As for the Holidays, we don’t celebrate thanksgiving here in Mexico

18. Nanette says:

Hi Kevin, No plans…we have no holiday and the weather will decide for me..we are moving into a cold area now.
    To all celebrating Thanksgiving..have a blessed
    Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

19. BriannaG says:

Great insight, Kev. Stressing about the small amounts of “not-so-good” things for us in really good food is something to avoid for sure. Don’t sweat the small stuff 🙂

I’m already home in West Central Minnesota for Thanksgiving with my whole family. I brought a great documentary we are all going to watch (hopefully!) on Saturday evening called “No Impact Man”. And also making a couple dishes to contribute to the meal (very healthy, of course). I have very grateful for you guys (Kev & AM) and TRHS. Have a happy thanksgiving everyone!

20. We were supposed to be driving from UT for WA, where my parents are, but have been snowed in. We’ll most likely be staying here in UT for the Holiday. Luckily my in-laws are here so we’ll be with family, which will be nice.

Question for you. I’m sorry, it’s a food science question. I recently read that alfalfa sprouts should not be eaten because it can inhibit the immune system and may contribute to inflammatory arthritis and lupus. It said alfalfa seeds contain the amino acid canavanine, which can be toxic to man and animals when congested in large quantities? (However that amino acid is not in the mature plant because it is metabolized during growth). Is this one of those things where I should be looking at it the way you are talking. As a whole it should be fine? What is considered large quantities? Just a little confused about this.

Thanks!
    -Nicole

21. Beth says:

Going to a bake sale / auction to help a 7yr old girl recovery from emergency brain surgery.

Happy Thanksgiving!

22. PE says:

Nicole #20, canvanine is a food science question, answered by looking at the LD50 (google it) and relared measures of any substance fed to mice, rats or others. As I recall, you’d have to eat 9 cups of alfalfa sprouts to get a possibly negative amount of canavanine.
    But Kevin, whole foods, like any food, can be toxic in too-large amounts. We determine those amounts by a thousand or so years of (sometimes lethal) experiment, or by food science done for us.
    Case in point: a major contributor to an online calorie-restriction site was in the habit of taking soup with a 6-inch kombu strip in it. Sounds like not too much? He had gross symptoms, saw his physician, and last I checked feared that his heavy iodine overdose had done him irremediable damage. Six inches of kombu is way too much iodine.
    What’s more, many ‘whole’ foods are dried, powdered and often inserted in a capsule or compressed in a pill. Does the processing yield ‘too much’ of a nutrient or a toxin? Even if not, will the waterless form encourage overdosing? Enter food science, or any science.
    As with foods ‘certified organic,’ use common sense (mistrust corporate claims, verify strangers), BUT take full advantage of findings. Trusting the white hats assumes the heads under those hats are fully aware of what they’re up to; too often they’re not. (why you certify even honest ‘trustworthy’ folks)

23. Dr. Jérôme says:

Hi Kevin,

it is not a holiday here in Cameroon, where I moved to work on clinical trial on HIV patients.
    Here the internet is very slow, which don´t allow me to watch your show everyday.Would you have a low quality video for slow internet provider like in Africa ?
    Enjoy your holiday with your family
    Dr. Jérôme in Yaoundé, Cameroon.

24. Julia says:

Does your “whole food – no science” argument apply to soy, too? Do you believe soy is a health food in all its forms, since you’re looking at the “whole food”? I thought you were pretty much against soy. There’s something wrong with this argument. Not all whole foods are appropriate for all – let your food be your medicine… Why is it so difficult to believe that just as some plants have super healing qualities, others may have toxins that some people may best avoid while others may actually benefit from those same plants. For example, for grave’s disease some people recommend consuming extra amounts of goitrogenic foods…

I wouldn’t be so dissmisive of science, I’d just use it wisely and with sound judgment. Also, apply your reasoning evenly across the board to chocolate, soy, meat, ect… Comes off a little suspicious/disengenuous that you stand up so much for a product you just happen to sell… so people should not listen to the science but rather listen to the guy on the internet who sells the product? Don’t get me wrong, I love you guys…let’s just have an honest discussion when it comes to people’s health… I have to disagree with you on this one.

25. Thank you so much for addressing my question in the newsletter! I was so excited when I checked my email and saw it! I appreciate your information and your opinions. Stumbled upon your videos on youtube a couple months ago and have become a follower ever since. I’ve spent a lot of time…probably a little too much researching past episode, etc. I’ve learned a lot and have made some great changes for myself and my family!

PE, Thanks! 9 cups! Wow…it doesn’t surprise me at all. When I saw in the article “when consumed in large amounts,” I got a little suspicious.

Julia, I feel like when it comes to soy and the things you’ve mentioned, he has expressed that he is against the highly process forms of these things. I may be wrong but I believe that soy in a fermented form of soy like tempeh is fine…? I believe Dr. Mercola has stated that. And with meat, which is most cases is highly processed and stuffed full of hormones/antibiotics is bad, but if you choose to eat meat, I remember them saying choose local and organic, know about your meat. And chocolate, in it’s natural cacao form is a major superfood, as soon as it get processed down you loose a lot of what makes it a superfood. I’m certainly NO expert. That is just what I’ve learned in my recent explorations.

26. Thomas says:

Julia #24 and Chapa #17 are right.
    People have varying digestive and nervous systems. What is good for one is not necessarily good for all. Likewise, what one person can’t handle is not necessarily bad for all people to consume. Chocolate and rhodiola are good examples. Naturally hyper people should avoid them, yet they are great for naturally mellow people.
    Good thing you didn’t go into law as a career.
    Have a great Thanksgiving. 🙂

27. Karen says:

Thank you SO MUCH for your commitment to us! We are so lucky to have you! Happy Thanksgiving. xoxo

28. Vitamin B12 says:

Great common sense advice. I always find that people are always worrying about the small stuff instead of looking at the big picture. They will go out for a few beers, spray perfume over themselves and then worry if they beetroot or carrot is best to juice. So many people just seem to miss the pint and seem to make life more difficult than it needs to be.

29. Gordy says:

I am always grateful and thankful for the the simple awareness to appreciate one another that we have, all that we can share with each other, and all that is given in the world for us to take part in. (Except the negative things that still exist!)

I work in the food industry and see where there are many choices we can make on our intake for survival. We must remember to enjoy life and it’s experiences we stumble through. Accept LOVE in all cases, be kind to those who you connect with and be thankful you can make choices to eat healthy foods in small quantities, whether organic or not. The world has a long way to go to recover what the Powers of Nature introduced to us before man decided to convert his ideas of changing everything all the time!

Strive to live simple.. and share it!!

Thank you Kevin and Annmarie for your entertainment and nourishment with Love~Gordy

30. yewww holiday!
    no such luck, sitting in Norway about to start my exams but its only bit over a month till my xmas holiday begins which im super excited about. celebrating xmas in the mountains with my mum, dad and brother and it will surely be amazing.

i like how the q&a kid at the start of this video covered ur face kevin, made me giggle ;]

hope ur having a good holiday!

regarding thanksgiving (do ppl shorten that down to tnxgiving ever?) : im very thankful for being healthy, loved and alive!