Recipe for Healthy Vegan Mayonnaise (Tastes Like the Real Thing!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #702

Wednesday Nov 17 | BY |

I can’t believe Episode #700 came and went!

I actually just realized it now. I guess next milestone will be 750 or so. I promise not to do any “lame” carrot videos or anything good humored this time. LOL! (That was sarcastic, you can see some of the posts from that epic 500th show!)

Anyway, today we show you how to make that amayozing vegan mayonnaise recipe I sent in a newsletter a few weeks ago.

Annmarie’s mom is even there at the end to do an un-staged taste test.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What can you use this mayonnaise on?

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Charlie’s Vegan Mayonnaise

This mayonnaise is the closest I have come to the real thing.

Unlike other raw mayonnaise it does not use a lot of nuts to thicken it but uses traditional emulsification techniques with the properties of the Irish moss replacing the eggs. It’s so simple to make and so much healthier! We use it in a lot of dishes at the restaurant and nobody knows it’s not the real thing.

1 Cup Almond Milk (made fresh)
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp palm sugar (you can use other sweeteners)
1 tsp salt
1 cup extra virgin Olive oil
3/4 Cup Unrefined sesame oil or your favorite oil
3/4 Cup Irish Moss Gel (Click here to get Irish Moss)

1. Put the almond milk, mustard, salt and palm sugar into a blender and blend.

2. Turn the blender to low speed and drizzle in both the olive oil and sesame oil slowly to emulsify. It should thicken a little.

3. Add the Irish moss and turn up to high speed for a couple of seconds. You will see the mayonnaise turn white and suddenly thicken. It will also thicken further in the fridge.

4. Store in airtight container in fridge. Keeps up to 5-7 days.

You of course need the Irish Moss to make this recipe, but it’s so worth switching out the nuts for your own digestion as well as to try to sell your friends and family on healthier eating.

If you can make them a mayonnaise that they like, that tastes just like the real thing, then you have a better chance at getting them to try other things of yours too. LOL!

We’d like to give 1000 thanks to our friend Charlie Wilson who owns Help Yourself, an amazing healthy restaurant in Key West. Be sure to check out her place here: http://www.helpyourselffoods.com

1. Dana says:

I really appreciate everything you guys do. However, this recipe has waaay too much oil for me. They are total empty calories and to me they are unnecessary. Since I don’t eat sandwiches that you would normally put mayo on, I’m pretty sure I could go the rest of my life with no mayo. I would much rather use those calories for a yummy avocado or a handful of raw nuts.

Thanks anyways, you guys are awesome!!
    Dana

2. Kat says:

This sounds good…haven’t had mayo in ages! I would use it on all kinds of raw sandwiches, maybe even add some herbs & blend with something watery to use as a salad dressing.

However…who can use 2 1/2 Cups of mayo in 5-7 days?? I wish it would keep longer (wonder if it would freeze well?) Gotta figure out a way to cut this recipe down to a reasonable amount…either that or share with some raw friends! 😉

Thanks for the recipe!! 🙂

3. John says:

Coleslaw..mmmm. Although I prefer the tang of salad dressing more than mayo. I’m sure a little vinegar would put some tang in it. Thanks for the recipe.

4. estheraida says:

Sounds yummy to me! Thanks for giving Johnny 5 a spot on the show today! So Cute!!!

5. Cirelle says:

Been waiting for something like this for ages- need it for my kids!
    Thanks for all your great work- one show ata time!

6. HarDarshan says:

Please tell me where I can get Irish moss gel.

7. I’m excited to try it on Cole Slaw. I tried a cashew-based mayonnaise recipe before and it was awful.

8. LYN EVANS says:

I was hoping to find how to make the irish moss gel. Can you explain? I have already purchased a couple of bags but having the gel sounds like a great idea. Will it keep? For how long?

Lyn

9. LYN EVANS says:

sorry, Annmarie explained how to make the gel. I was distracted about the almond mylk. Happy Thanksgiving.

10. Page says:

I just ordered some Irish Moss from you. I’m looking forward to trying it.
    I normally add flaked dulce to my salads, but last time I made salad dressing, I added the dulce to the dressing. Needless to say, as it has rested in the frig, the dressing has become gel like. Live and learn.
    Duh – carrageen (Irish moss) is standard thickener in store-bought salad dressing.

11. john says:

Enjoyed this program and the delicious recipe can use it on toast ,chips and dips.Also enjoyed the family interaction and the chemistry of how you all get along as a family unit,and Johnny 5 too.Got a bang out of having your mother Ann Marie giving you her taste test over your Mayonnaise dressing you just made . I’m sure it was quite delicious and no doubt mother approved ! This was an excellent video from all facets.Like to have longer footage and like to see more of both SIDES of your families when doing an event or program.You two have a God gifted talents that are so family orientated and you come across so natural the world needs to have more programs like this instead of all the garbage on TV.

12. Charlotte says:

I’m from belgium and there we eat our fries with mayonnaise! haha, not very healthy at all! However, occasionally at home we make oven fries with yukon gold potatoes or sweet potatoes and enjoy it with homemade mayo! It’s so delicious!

13. Tiff says:

Rawvolution onion bread!!! Woo Hoo!! Maybe this would work in a jicama “potato salad”….yummm

14. Josephinesped says:

I chop a clove or garlic and mash it up, then let it sit in the cutting board about 10 minutes to develop flavors. Then I add it to mayo.

15. Kuru says:

I went for years without eating mayonnaise until someone recently introduced me to Vegenaise, and I got re-hooked. I love it on raw crackers–homemade or something like Lydia’s, etc. with a slice of cucumber or even better, tomato. Or just tomato, mayo, and black pepper (I grew up in the South). I can’t imagine any mayo without vinegar, but I will try this and maybe make variations. I don’t think I can live without it, even though it’s high fat. I try to always cut it with veggies. Vinegar would counter the fat too.

Thanks, you all. That Jonny 5 sequence was great. Another ham in the family. LOL!

16. Donaji says:

I can’t imagine what I could use this on, I’m new to raw foods and I’m learning a lot very quickly, and a lot from you guys 🙂

Sounds like it would be good as a salad dressing or a dip or something, maybe in a lettuce veggie wrap? Sounds good to me!

At first, I thought the cat was a baby…lol he’s beautiful! thanks guys, you guys rock! Love the laid-back and easy going shows, makes it much more personable and much more fun to watch 🙂

17. Barbara says:

I love Johnny 5. He is such a character. I love hearing him throughout the show and I’m always glad when you put the camera on him the last few minutes. I would make coleslaw like someone else suggested. Now we have raw mayonnaise. Yummo.

18. jackie says:

I can’t remember the last time I ate mayonnaise…maybe 2 years ago when I used to eat BLTs. Did you say Charlie made an egg salad with it? That might be interesting.
    It was nice seeing AnnMarie’s mom and Johnny 5 again, too. Thank you, AnnMarie, for another great “how to” show.

19. jackie says:

Hi,
    I just tried to place an order 4 times, and each time the page wouldn’t display. I don’t think any of the orders went through, but in case they did, I only want One Order. Not sure if it’s my computer or something on your end…please check into it. Thanks.

20. Kathleen says:

I don’t like mayonaise but it would be interesting to try this on people who do.

Did anyone actually give Johnny 5 the mayonaise? What do normally feed him? I have always heard that cats have to have meat.

21. db : ) says:

Your cat makes me LOL. I think he had a thing or two to say about his part in the production process. Maybe he was expecting some sort of special appearance and sampling. He certainly was persistent in his comments. : )

Nice vegan mayo recipe. Although I don’t use mayo much. I am not into any condiments. If I ever have mayo, it has to be mixed into the food (ex. potato salad).

I appreciated hearing about the irish moss and how to work with it. I have never used it. I am starting to warm up to the idea.

22. Emma says:

OMG I really want your Irish Moss!!
    It’s too bad that I live in Sweden, cause custum duties are so high if I would buy it from you : (
    It looks really yummie!

23. Beth says:

Haven’t tried using any Irish Moss yet, but this sounds like a good recipe to try it in.
    Would you the raw mayo with home made baked sweet potato “fries”, coleslaw, or in lettuce wraps.

Thanks for putting Johnny5 on at the end of the video. He is such a lovey!

24. Carol says:

Great mayo recipe. Now if someone would reinvent Miracle Whip I’d be all set!

25. Nancy says:

Irish Moss is mostly carrageenan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Moss), which, according to Dr. Russell Blaylock is extraordinarily dangerous. It is loaded with excitotoxins which destroy brain cells and to causes cancerous cells to grow faster. To see some expert’s opinions on this: http://blog.charisholisticcenter.com/2010/07/28/read-your-labels-carrageenan-a-very-common-but-dangerous-additive.aspx
    Please reconsider Irish Moss.
    Thanks.

26. Lexica says:

I’m laughing at myself right now because when I first saw the recipe in the email newsletter, I thought “ooh, must try!” Even ordered the Irish moss to make it. I never thought about what to put it on. 😀

My first thought (now that I’m thinking about it) is to make it for my husband. He’s not as far along the path to raw as I am, but he’s definitely interested and is appreciative of every little baby-step substitution I come up with or tell him about. He may still be eating sandwiches on baked bread, but better to eat them with this mayo than with store-bought, I figure.

Jonny 5 is a very handsome fella. From the voice (“MRAOW!”) I’m guessing maybe part Siamese?

27. Helga says:

Thanx for the recipe and show …. cute as always 🙂
    I’ve been making a similar mayonaise for a long time … but WITHOUT the irish moss. I use chia seeds instead … and it works beutifully !!
    I use chia seeds for almost everything anyway 🙂
    Instead of the olive oil I use coconut oil … as I’m not using any seed oils anymore … ONLY coconut oil (and I’m VERY happy with it !!)
    Sometimes I’m adding all kinds of herbs (mixed or as a “theme”) into the mayo …
    And what do we use vegan mayo for ??
    Sooo much …
    For lettuce or kale leaf roll-ups, or I “stretch” guacamole with it for dipping …
    makes great salad dressing when thinned with mandarine juice or lime juice and a little raw honey (from our bees) … I’ve even used it some some funky sushi rolls 🙂

28. Ashley says:

i am not vegan, but i was trying to find a vegan mayo recipe that really tastes the same. i scoured the internet and found several different kinds involving cashews and soy and , i tried them, the nut ones where gritty and the soy one tastes awful. then i can across this one i was leery to try it since i don’t have Irish moss and could not get it in the little town i live in and didn’t want to wait three weeks for it, so then i though well if it’s just a gel…. i cooked up some corn starch with water, till it was thick and gel like and used that instead, i did everything else the same although i quartered the recipe, and WOW this really does taste like Mayonnaise, i’d say like a Hellmans or natural mayo though not a miracle whip, but i an amazed and my husband also not vegan said it tastes like mayo, THANKS

29. star says:

What’s wrong with an organic egg , olive oil , mustard, vinegar , lemon , etc for a raw mayo? it keeps longer then a week and i dont have to add thickeners either .

30. LynnCS says:

Such a great recipe. I would love to use this eventually on my “sandwiches” I make with Romaine as a “bread.” I was missing something like this. For now I am on Raw Fruits and Vegis, but eventually might want to branch out to other raw “gormet” foods. It is definitely going in my recipe file. Thanks so much for showing it in such great detail.

31. John says:

Kevin

I noticed in the above screen capture that it says that T Colin Campbell said not to drink green smoothies. I found a recommendation to drink smoothies and to put greens in them on tcolincampbell.org.
    In the very last line, the author Brendan Brazier
    suggests adding greens to your smoothies.

Brendan is a world class vegan triathelete

Here is a link to info about Brendan:

32. LynnCS says:

Hey, Kevin. Would love to see you do an article on what Nancy, #26 is talking about. Is there a danger in using Irish Moss. Also…

If anyone has some idea about a mayo substitute with no fat/oil. Would love to see it. Thanks all.

33. Aime says:

Helga
    I’d love to get your recipe as I’d prefer Chia Seeds & coconut oil as well. Sounds delish! Could likely save our family money as we use Veganaise even for things that prior we used sour cream or ranch dressing in/on. It’s a life saver!

34. margot says:

Hi Kevin,

I also would love to hear your thoughts on the harmful effects of carageenan. I have made the spicy chocolate mousse and loved it, but now i am leery of using my irish moss.
    Please look into this issue. Love your videos in the kitchen!

35. christine says:

God Bless you, your family and your cat! I love your shows, please do more!

36. Marie says:

Was wondering if the Irish Moss (after being left to soak in the 2 cups warm water)is blended with the water…or do you pour off the excess before blending?? Also a question… Kevin and Annemarie what are your thoughts on Nancy’s comment (26)??? You usually show all sides of topics…Have you heard of this??? Thanks for doing what you do….I love watching the videos and reading the blogs!!!

37. Cassie Rhea says:

Thank you for sharing! This look interesting!

38. That was a good dish very tasty and harmless and nutritious.Thanks.

39. Jacquie says: