Do You Wear Cotton? If So, Watch This : The Renegade Health Show Episode #700

Monday Nov 15 | BY |

In this episode, I answer a bunch of health questions from you guys…

This big question is what do you need to be concerned about if you wear cotton clothes.

I also address assisted water fasts on a budget, why vitamin D levels may not be rising, and more.

Take a look here…

Your question of the day: Do you wear cotton clothing, have you thought of this before?

1. Love the little question guy! : )

I appreciated what you said about setting priorities and making excuses. This is SO common. It’s nice to hear someone (besides me!) drawing the hard line on self-health.

Re: wearing cotton clothing… I try NOT buying clothes new and, instead, shopping second-hand. I know this isn’t -exactly- addressing the GMO issue, but at least it’s keeping the new sales down – and making a statement in and of itself. Does that make sense?

Lisa Marie
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

2. Yes, I do wear cotton clothes :(. I have to buy a whole new wardrobe now.

James

3. Leam says:

I also only purchase second-hand clothes so, as previously noted, I am making a choice though maybe not addressing GMO directly.

4. Joe says:

Yes, gave out 90% of my cloths to friends and charities
    as I’m going live in the tropics. 🙂

5. Gen says:

I am most comfortable in cotton clothes. Synthetics make me feel irritable. I can only buy organic cotton shirts in two stores here, but I can’t live in just the tops!

I don’t like the way linen wrinkles. Love wool, but just in the winter.

6. I buy organic cotton when possible (economically and availability), but when not, the rest is natural (though not always organic) fibers – mostly cotton. May not be perfect but sure beats petroleum based synthetics.

7. Deanna says:

I try to by organic. But I’m glad you put it out there in this fashion. That we are supporting GMO cotton crops by buying the clothes. So it makes me think more seriously about this. So I thank you for getting me to think about clothing from the prospective of not supporting GMO in that area as well, not just from a food perspective. Thanks for the food for thought.

Deanna

8. john says:

Yes I like cotton because it breathes and is comfortable and soft, but have to look for ORGANIC CLOTHING– GMO FREE .Because Gmo’s forever change each persons DNA ,and we do not Know what kind or how many genes the GLOBAL CARTELS want to implement this in to us and shove it down our throats,as subservient servants to their every EVIL whims .Great you brought this up again Kevin, I am Proud of you for saying this again.-Great Job. And you to Ann Marie.

9. Kristine says:

It was a good show Kevin with thoughtful responses. I took 4000 iu of D3 for almost a year before being tested. When tested my doctor was shocked that I scored 88. 88 is a therapeutic level which is fine, but I don’t need to be so high, so I have cut back to about 2000 iu ‘s a day. I weigh about 125 lbs. I am glad you are speaking about GMO cotton. Recently I have bought organic, but there is not a lot of choice out there yet. Fortunately, I take care of my clothes and don’t buy often.

10. Josephine says:

I get mostly second-hand clothes, too. I know a bunch of people who say that the South was ruined by cotton. Hemp is a much better crop for the land, and the clothing lasts longer. Only the male hemp flowers are drug-potent, and not all strains of the plant are highly potent there.

11. Frank says:

doesn’t morgellons (a microscopic parasite) live on GMO cotton plants? And that these parasites live through the processing & attach to you upon wearing your new gmo cotton clothes?

i would def stay away from gmo cotton, if it wasn’t so hard to get away from. it’s really too bad.

Hopefully when hemp gets legalized in the next few years -> we will be able to purchase hemp clothing at much cheaper prices. Hemp clothes also last WAY longer than cotton clothes.

12. Tara Burner says:

I personally love bamboo over cotton any day! it’s softer, and lasts longer! I do still own a few shirts that are cotton, and have lots of organic cotton clothes too.
    and like the question guy 🙂

13. Beth says:

I am slowly moving to Bamboo clothing, and do have some recent organic cotton & hemp blends. Hadn’t thought of GMO clothing though. Just trying to stay away from the synthetics as I feel their production is more destructive to the environment and the residents of the planet.

14. Velda says:

Interesting. I had not thought about that before and certainly did not know you could get hemp and bamboo clothing. I usually buy 2nd hand clothing, but buy cotton underwear.

Kevin, I regularily do a 5-day water fast. Admitedly it is not as “pure” as the True North in Santa Rosa, but I get great benefit from it. I also work during the fast. However, if I discover that I am feeling very fatigued, then I will drink a small glass of kefir or even 2 oz of a chia/moringa green drink that I have. But most of the time I am able to go the 5 days easily. I am thinking about going 6 or 7 at some point. You just need to listen to your body.

I understand what you are saying, Kevin, about finances, but honestly, there are some of us that actually live on bare bones now and have no frills, or something we spend our money on that we have no use for. If I had to spend $1000 on my health, I could not do it. I would have to gather information and work on it myself as best I could. Hopefully, that won’t always be the case, but there are those of us out here that have no extra change at all to spend on anything other than the necessity of living.

15. Velda says:

Also, what about cotton balls, and cotton swabs? I would think we could look for organic cotton on those also.

16. Ed says:

Excellent Show Kevin!

I have never paid much attention to clothing but this past year have noticed more offers of organic clothing and bedding, which is just as important for those who sleep in the raw, so to speak. My awareness of this has been bolstered as I saw how our unfiltered gray water killed a great shade tree and is no longer well absorbed into the soil, now caked with the petrochemicals from two households. This told me both households should have been using only biodegradable products all these years and we needed a decent gray water filtration system a long time ago.

I also came to understand this year the petrochemical laundry detergents and household cleaners do not belong on or next to our skin and we can’t rinse well enough to get rid of them from fabrics. Perhaps if the water was pure it would be a different story. It just makes no sense to wash organic fabrics in petro chemicals.

Walking the talk is far more important than most of us think – at first, especially in regards to health and green living. By paying any premium to those who provide us with superior alternatives to the commonly used goods, we do double the work. Denying profits to the purveyors of crap and supporting the entire chain of production and distribution of the alternatives. This eventually lowers their costs and increases their profits and ability to compete in the marketplace. It is far too easy to know the price of much and the value of nothing.

17. Donaji says:

Loved the video and the little guy…was…eh…ok 🙂 I do wear cotton not always organic, I haven’t found a place that I can afford but when I do find something I can afford and it’s comfortable, I do buy it. I also buy second hand and I’m learning how to reuse my clothes (making new out of old) by sewing.

I just read an article about bamboo clothing and how a lot of companies are not being honest about their “green” practices and how much worse the bamboo clothing process is compared to cotton, they recommend buying organic cotton instead and sticking to bamboo just for flooring and stuff like that. I’d like to read more about that.

18. Chris G says:

I haven’t really purchased any new clothes in a couple years. I also prefer to buy used when possible. After this video putting the issue in to perspective I would opt for organic cotton if I had to buy new.

P.S. My wife says if you’re looking for a home you should build a cob house/cottage. She believes you might enjoy that. Cheers!

19. Kuru says:

This GMO news ruined my moment, as I am totally in love with cotton as my favorite fabric. Hemp is great in cooler climates, but too hot for a tropical day, and bamboo is a little too slinky plus it shows wear almost instantly. I’m going to have to meditate on a solution for this. I strongly do not support GMO use in any crops.

20. Nandi says:

The Vitamin D3 question…The quality of the supplement makes a BIG difference. Cheap will not get you what you need.

21. Brenda says:

yes, I wear cotton and I will admit not all of my cotton clothes are organic. I would love to have all organically grown clothes.

22. Malibu Kim says:

Hi Kevin,

I have Verizon FIOS for my internet which is supposedly the fastest internet service – and lately I’ve noticed that sites like yours and other truthful sites are loading SO SLOWLY. I’ve also heard that the internet is being “scrubbed” by the “powers that be” to keep American’s ignorant of their dastardly deeds and slow down the dissemination of truth. Other sites that don’t surf the edge of leading health and political news come up instantaneously! I believe something’s a-foot here! It’s been 5 minutes since I clicked the play button and only about a fifth of this latest video from you has buffered – so I haven’t seen it yet to find if you have further info on GMO Cotton. From what I’ve read on the net – people in India are getting severe rashes from GMO Cotton Clothing – probably made of the GMO Cotton being grown in their country. I simply won’t buy cotton unless it’s used (and even that’s not necessarily non-GMO) or organic. I’m a metaphysically based person and not prone to religion-speak – but I have to say – the characters behind the proliferation of GMO’s are absolute EVIL incarnate!!! SAY NO TO GMO!!!!!!

23. Karen Beattie says:

I HAVE SEEN ORGANIC ON SALE AT MARSHALLS BUT HAVEN’T SEEN HEMP CLOTHING. YOGA WEAR IS COMFORTABLE AND COMPANIES WITH HEALTH IN MIND WOULD BE SAFER THAN MASS PRODUCED CLOTHING. KEKA PAKRIKA IS A NEW ON LINE FUN VIEWING!

24. Jana says:

Nearly every piece of clothing I wear is made of cotton. My budget for clothes is zero, and much of what I wear predates the existence of gmo crops, so in my own way, I suppose I’m keeping money away from the gmo cotton growers.

25. Ed says:

Hi,Kev Cotton is on all of us, the thing you need to be mindfull of on top of gmo type fibers is how cotton products are shipped. Imported cotton is treated with formaldehyde by law. Formaldehyde does not rate a GRAS rating (generally regarded as safe)rating rather it receives a (reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen) rating so be carefull with any new textile. Baking soda in the wash cycle is a must for me before I wear my new stuff. Yes I learned the hard way, buy and wear for an event can be ichy scratchy. thank you.

26. db says:

I really like cotton. That is my favorite material. I have looked into organic cotton some time ago. Did purchase some personal items and socks in organic cotton.

Also bought 2 cotton (assume not organic) dresses made in India (found out later) before your interview with Jeffrey M. Smith. I am hoping that GMO is not currently coming out of India after all the destruction caused by Monsanto’s GMO cotton.

SCREEN: You asked for your audience’s opinion.
    Kevin the little boy on the screen was cute; however, it would be nice if the child was sitting on the left-side edge of screen with the writing to the right of him to open the main-focus of the screen.
    Q & A instead of spelling out the entire words is a consideration. Prefer subtle accents on a small screen.

27. Veronika says:

Yes, I do wear cotton clothes, and I had no idea that cotton was GMO! Thank you for this video. Now I know what they mean when I see labels for organic cotton – I figured it only meant that the cotton was grown without pesticides/herbicides, but knowing that it’s also non-GMO is a big deal. Luckily I don’t buy clothing too often, and it’s usually 2nd hand.

28. Joel Brown says:

the question boy is hilarious actually

i try to stick with thrift stores so i’m not directly supporting the companies, maybe not a perfect philosophy but pretty good…that ties into the mention of priorities. if i see a new food that is good for me i want to try it and can ignore the cost…but i rarely spend more than 5 dollars on an article of clothing!

29. Basia says:

Yes, I have been trying to buy organic cotton, although it can be too expensive or not available in what I want. Even then there is also a concern about fair/child labor practices. Second hand clothes is an option sometimes, but 1) I’m in bedbug central (NYC), and 2) you don’t want everything second hand (under garments, etc.).

30. Kitty says:

a friend of a friend got morgellans’ disease from cotton (obviously GMO) tampons made in China. Enough said……….

31. RJ says:

I always assumed the new “organic clothing” was a marketers dream.I did not know that cotton was GMO also. I still will continue to purchase used clothing. But how far back can used clothing go without GMO?

I’m considering running naked with the wolves for the rest of my natural life.
    🙂

I only say this because I remember my first trip to Florida. Early seventies. And during my 4 month stay I worked a co-operative agreement at the Shangri-La in Bonita Springs, Florida. Dr. Cheatham owned the premises at the time. During my co-operative stay I tended the Shangri-La’s organic gardens. And one beautifully sunny day, while I was working the gardens, a plane flew lowly overhead. When I asked what it was, I found it to be a poison to kill Florida misquitoes.

Since that day (1973) I new there was no such thing as an organic garden. But now with the advent of GMO, I’ll think of organics being the best choice…

Your new screen introduction with…I believe Annmarie’s nephew? It’s adorable.
    Thanks for all you give.

Happy Thanksgiving to You and Annmarie!

32. Lorien says:

I make most of my clothes purchases at the second hand store and I do purchase cotten. I will not wear man made fiber but I will look into organic cotten and non GMO natural fabrics.

33. Julia says:

Yeah, I wear regular cotton. Organic cotton/hemp is too expensive. I was recently also looking at the organic cotton shower curtains and they’re just way too expensive! I shopt at second hand stores a lot.

34. Marla says:

I sure do wear cotton. The more second hand, the better. This insures safe cotton. Older clothes may be out of style, but the processing sure was safer. If one stays with health over fashion by equal coverage of the limbs, for perfectly even circulation, then one can bet on a dual blessing. Good recycled clothes, and good recycled blood!

35. Melissa says:

I unfortunately, can only wear cotton and other natural fibers. I have been unable to find organic cottons in my size or in anything other than t-shirts and tent dresses.

36. Amy Waddell says:

Yes, I wear cotton , but i buy almost all my clothes second hand..

37. I do wear cotton, i also only shop second hand, rarely do i buy anything new, my issue being sweatshop labor. A great website to find handmade organic cotton or hemp clothes check out…www.etsy.com… do a search for this. there are great products made in the USA by artisans, not huge companies, that could really use the support, the prices are comparble to brands like patagonia, they also do custom orders if they don’t have your sizes. This site also offers tons of other great handmade products. Support the small businesses woo hoo! alright..stepping off my soap box now 🙂 thanks for a great show guys!

38. Matthew Knoefler says:

Kev,

yes, I do love to wear only organic clothing. i.e organic cotton.
    I have been enjoying smart wool clothing. Merino Wool only on my skin. it feels really good to me with no smell. I can wear these for days without washing.

one more thing, you mentioned investing in your health, are you willing to do whatever it takes? could health be somewhat free. It is called Fasting. To be more exact Water Fasting. To me it seems the most beneficial with the least investment. Also, Liver Flushing until you get no more stones out for at least 2 flushes. This could be more than 20 flushes.

wildGreenBlessings All

39. Dejana says:

I don;t like GMO but wearing second hand underwear? Not my thing.

I would be interested to know if all the non-organic cotton is GMO? i just can’t afford organic cotton right now.

And yes, I like the little guy, very cute!!!

40. QC says:

Hi Kevin,

I love the new graphics you have put on recently.

As for water fasting. I do agree with what Kevin said regarding how to spend our money. But I myself do water fasting at home, for just 3 days or less. It’s quite safe and it helped.

I personally love cotton. Because of that I have had concerns about GMO cotton. Someone told me to change to organic cotton underwear. I haven’t been able to find any. As for everyday clothes, organic cotton are very expensive. And the problem is I can’t wear secondhand clothes. Something about the smell puts me off. So, my solution is synthetic material, I know it might cause irritation, so I haven’t been buying many new clothes for some years now. When I buy new ones, I’ll start to look for organic cotton.

41. Annette says:

RE: Expense of supervised water fasts
    Kevin, some of us are literally living hand to mouth. We do not and can not frivolously spend $200 a month on non-necesities. This is not an excuse; it is a reality. I know where I spend every penny. I agree that there are people out there who squander money and then act as if they do not have any money. There are many of us who do not do this. I can understand your harshness; having worked with the public for many years myself. For those of us who are limited physically and financially, you gave no good answer to the water fasting question. As for myself, I will probably do an unsupervised water fast.

42. Catherine says:

I agree with Annette. You have no right to judge anyone’s ability to spend unlimited funds on their own health, and label any reasons they can’t as excuses. I do what I can for my health, but I am not going to spend my family into bankruptcy for the sake of MY health. I have to balance my own needs with the needs of the rest of my family. And I DO NOT waste money on non-necessities.

I do wear cotton, as any kind of synthetic fabric irritates my skin unbearably. And while I would like to buy only organic cotton, it isn’t possible. I buy what I can find and afford in organic cotton, but I have yet to find a source of organic cotton clothing in tall women’s sizes, and I do not have time to sew my own clothing. For the same reason, I do not buy secondhand clothing.

But I also buy silk when I can, and I knit mostly with merino wool yarn, never synthetics. Now that manufacturers are putting so much synthetic fibers into cotton socks, I am knitting my own with organic cotton yarn, but I am afraid I am not going to be able to keep up with, or afford, my entire sock needs this way.

43. nick says:

I like bamboo but there is not much of a choice especially for winter clothes; The same with hemp
    it would be nice if we had more of a choice were we could try on the clothes before u buy them.

44. Sharon says:

Good show. I like the question guy, LOL…totally agree with health being a priority. There are always ways to make a few extra dollars or do some bartering for services or products. Everyone has something of value to trade. Time is more valuable than money to the people who have money. Offer some babysitting, house-cleaning, gardening, lawn cutting, etc. Save up every penny of what you earn from your extra endeavors and invest in something to make money with…snow-blower, power-washer, etc.

All owners of retail shops are paying considerably less for their products than they’re charging which means you can always ask for a discount. If it means losing a sale for 20 or 30% chances are you will get your deal. Try it!

I am not buying any more new cotton unless it’s certified organic. I rarely buy clothes unless I really need something for work. I’m going to be much more vigilant about the cotton issue. I am not giving a dime to Monsanto. We need to bankrupt them before they kill us all.

45. Jan says:

I like the little boy. He is so cute.

Yes, I wear cotton. I never thought about GMO’s in clothing until now. Thanks for bring it to my attention. I try to purchase clothes from second hand stores but it is difficult finding the proper size, color, and style. As far as organic cotton goes, it might be easier to find online verses a store close to where you live. After running to four stores I replaced my bath towels with organic cotton towels found online. Also it was easy to find and I had many choices to pick from.

46. Frank says:

Thank you for the service you are doing!Let’s pass this information on fabrics on!