How Genetically Modified (GMO) Foods Got on the Market with Jeffrey Smith : The Renegade Health Show Episode #688

Thursday Oct 28 | BY |

Today, I have the first part of a 4-5 part interview series with no-GMO activist and author Jeffrey Smith…

I’ve been anticipating this interview for a while and I know you have been asking for it too.

In this segment, Jeffrey talks about how GMOs were brought to the market. For some it may be shocking… please share this video as well as the others in this series on Facebook by clicking the “Like” button above!

Your question of the day: Have you eaten any of the 5 food Jeffrey Smith mentioned at the end of the interview lately? Do you know if they were non-GMO?

To check out more information about how you can keep GMO foods off of your table, please click here: http://www.responsibletechnology.org

1. Tara Burner says:

great interview and info!!
    as far as eating any of the things he mentioned…I’ve been fasting so haven’t eaten anything! LOL

2. Gretchyn says:

Oh what a great interview! Thanks for bringing this to us! Unfortunately I have eaten many GMO foods because, unlike most people I wasn’t really aware of the danger for quite some time. Knowledge is Power! Now that I know, I no longer eat GMO’s and I try to inform my friends and family about their harmful effects. It worries me to think of all the people across the country who drink soda that is loaded with GMO corn! Especially children, who knows what the effects of this will be on our next generation?
    “To know and not to do, is in fact no to know”
    -Peace Pilgrim

3. Joel Brown says:

Just once recently did I let it slide. I got something with Canola oil in the ingredients with no organic status indicated. I was well aware of it. I was excited to try the product because it was granola made with certified gluten free oats, but it ended up being too hard and not particularly delicious. It wasn’t worth it! Otherwise I always stay away from such ingredients.

4. crow says:

Yes, I have eaten all of them mainly because I didn’t know. But refuse to purchase any now.

5. I try to avoid GMO’s as much as possible. But I’ve had some dark chocolate maybe a week ago and it had sugar beets in it. I didn’t realize that sugar beets were GMO’s.

I’ve done a lot research on this topic as well before I became Vegan. I just check out wikipedia and this is what I found:

James,

6. taylor says:

for the last couple years I’ve bought everything organic, so I’m pretty safe right?

7. Rikki M says:

TY TY TY for this clip , I was shocked after watching this, and going in my kitchen and pantry, I’m not 100 % raw , but even with just cooked dinner in the evening , I have been eating Frankenstein food YIKES, I hope you let us know lot more about this subject,

8. Shelby says:

@ Taylor…. if foods are certified organically grown then they should be non-GMO.
    The EXCEPTION being CANOLA. Apparently canola is GMO rapeseed… which was then renamed ‘canola’.
    Thus, avoid even ‘organic canola’ as it is all essentially GMO.

9. Joel says:

If you inadvertently buy a food product containing GMO-sourced ingredients but only discover it at home I recommend taking it back to the store ASAP, pointing out that for example, there is ‘soy’ or ‘canola’ listed in the ingredients but it’s not labeled as a 100% organic product. So you ask the store manager (no one else can expected to know what’s going on, let alone do anything about it), “Can you assure me there are no GMOs in this product?” If the cannot, politely request a refund. AND/OR, call the manufacturer and ask the same question. They will begin to realize there is an awareness in today’s consumers and that GMOs are unwanted.

Do not let GMO ingredients slide by in anything you purchase! Make a noise! When the store is confronted they will be defensive but they will also start to be aware that distributing GMOs will result in a reaction and we want it to be maximally inconvenient for them to, in effect, collude with the manufacturer by allowing low profile (hidden, small, invisible, etc) GMO products into their store. Do this as much as possible. You might expand this to restaurants if you dare eat out in the first place and are willing to get up and LEAVE. Make it very clear to the manager WHY you are leaving.

10. I make every effort to avoid GMO foods. I read all labels and buy organic whenever possible. However, I know that it is nearly impossible to totally avoid GMO foods and there are probably several of them lurking in my pantry. I am a strong proponent of banning GMO foods altogether.

11. Muriel says:

The only oil i buy is Organic Olive oil and organic extra virgin coconut oil.
    As far as vegetables and fruits i also only buy the organic ones that happen to be in season at the time. In the summer i buy locally from local organic farms.
    I do eat meat but always from local organic farms. Better to eat less and eat the best.

12. nick says:

Yes this is why I am eating more and more wild food even the “organic” soy beans coming from the US 1/3 of them were found to have GMO’s in a Japan.
    I was buying Natto from japan knowing most Japaneese refuse to purchase any GMO food but not knowing they were getting their soybeans from the US. Now Japan buy their soybeans from China. Can you believe it China has a better reputation for oganic then the US this is pretty SAD!!!!

13. john says:

Kevin—— EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT , Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeffry Smith is a man who can not be bought off,he is a man who speaks the truth .Every word he said I AGREE . May God bless this man for telling us the truth about GMO’S and all the irrepairable havoc it causes on every humane being and animals ,sea creatures, environment, etc.Kevin this is going to be a GIANNI/RENEGADE -BLOCKBUSTER the next several segments that you are going to do. I hope that this will inspire people to first get informed ,then mad ,and do what is necessary to make change and TAKE BACK WHAT IS YOUR BIRTH RIGHT—NATURAL ORGANIC FOOD AS God originally designed it. Not by mans design OF WHICH MAN DOES NOT EVEN BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND ALL THE DANGEROUS HEALTH RAMIFICATIONS OF ALL THESE REDESIGNED FOODS. GMO’S are ENGINEERED AND can be used to DEPOPULATE VARIOUS SEGMENTS OF PEOPLES/ NATIONALITIES AND GROUPS OF PEOPLES AS STATED IN THE UN CHARTER ,AND ELSE WHERE in house bill #s . See —RENSE.COM——BRASSCHECK TV.COM—–TRUTHTELLERS.ORG—–DAVID DUKE.COM Excellent program Kevin

!!!

14. Mohammed says:

What is the name of that Hungarian Scientist ?

15. Kuru says:

Great topic and talk. I stay away completely from GMO foods.

I am interested in hearing about how GMO’s spread. Living in Hawaii where there has been GMO testing since the ’80’s starting with corn and now papaya, I really want to know how endangered the papayas I grow myself are to being contaminated by GMO’s through the wind. I’m eating fruit from 3 plants grown organically, but they were volunteers and I have no idea where the seeds came from. I feel excellent when I eat them, so I’m assuming (hoping) they’re ok.

16. Julie says:

I want to know if those lovely little “gourmet” cucmbers that I really like are GMO?? AAnybody know?

17. Sharon says:

I didn’t know about cotton till recently but outside of that I’m pretty sure that I haven’t eaten these things. If you stay away from packaged foods it’s pretty hard to get them in the diet.

Since soy and corn are fed to animals we need to also beware of meat products. The animals are being made out of GMO!

Go organic has been my mantra for many years but I’m REALLY serious about it now. I will not support this mass Farmageddon.

18. Donna says:

Thankfully by virtue to living in Europe until 2006 I didn’t need to worry about it. I wonder if these organic chocolate companies are sourcing out non-GMO soy when they use it. Thanks for that info!!!!

Donna

19. Esse says:

I thought buying organic corn chips was safe. One thing to watch for is the other ingredients. The label on the front in big letters says “Made from Organic Corn”, but when you read the ingredients, the oil is not organic. Therefore, reading the ingredients is very important unless the package is specifically labeled GMO free.

20. Lori says:

Wow….I just recently went to a vegan lifestyle….I was not aware of this. So ALL soy is bad for you? I guess I should have done more research. Who knew?!

21. Joe says:

Organic labeling control is not everywhere!

Attention to imported foods, especially dry ones.

Writing organic on a ship box with a marker pen doesn’t assure is been controlled by the organic standards.

I had experienced it in my previous jobs.

If you want to be sure, get local and fresh!

22. Dee says:

Yes, I have. I had been told that tomatoes were genetically modified as well to make the skins tougher. I also remember a story where New Zealand would not allow gmo rice seed in their country, but when they tested existing rice they found gmo. And they did not know how it had gotten in.

Also saw a story a couple years back, that our country was trying to force gmo’s on Europe per trade agreements.

Thanks for these interviews.

23. Beth says:

I buy mostly organic, however there are things like Corn Starch that I’m sure have GMO in them. I haven’t been able to find an organic source of Corn Starch. Occasionally I will eat organic corn chips, but I hadn’t thought about the oil they use in them. Ick! More careful label reading from now on.

24. Jackie says:

Michelle Obama is focused on improving the health of children, she could make a huge impact by tackeling THIS (along with fructose, BGH, pesticides, etc)!!! Her efforts are sooooo miniscule compared to what she COULD do.

I eat whole kernel corn….frozen corn during the winter……..do I need to be concerned? I am so glad you brought this issue up, Kevin. We must not lose sight of this issue until it is resolved.

25. John says:

It’s the food that I eat at a friend’s house or at restaurants that I am not so sure about but the food I buy is 90% organic. I do not want any frankenfoods in my system, although I am sure they have gotten there one way or another.

26. Gordy says:

This is a very serious issue. Jackie you are right about the efforts of Michelle Obama. She should take this on to investigate where and how this process takes effect and introduce stronger awareness and prevention for future generations.

I have just completed my final harvest of the season in my organic garden as of yesterday, before the second frost of the season here in southeastern Wisconsin. I am sad to report my raw food intake will decline as the resources diminish quickly.

For those of us who have access or own property and acres of valuable land to growth organics foods and create sustainable practices, we are TRULY BLESSED!!

I encourage ALL to find or create some kind of resources in your neighborhood and build community gardens for educational and environmental longevity. It makes sense. It’s fun!… And you know what you’re getting. It makes you eat foods and stuff that you wouldn’t think of consuming… until you grow it yourself!

It’s really what my ancestors provided to my family and friends over 150 years ago. Back in the great depression years of the 30’s, they raised animals, crops and vegetable gardens that helped the neighborhood get thru some pretty tough times.

God is Gracious!

27. Thomas says:

Here are some pertinent links:

the Hungarian scientist mentioned by Jeffrey:
    about Árpád Pusztai’:

Árpád Pusztai’s Homepage:

and lots of good articles and even a phone app to tell you which foods are non-GMO in the grocery store here:

28. Thomas says:

You can get a printable non-GMO shopping list at:

just scroll down the page until you see a link in the text that says “printable shopper’s guide” and you’ll get a pdf file.

29. Gail says:

I have the non-gmo shopping guide and am pretty careful to avoid GMO.

It really makes me mad that Monsanto is setting food policy for the FDA.

30. Jan says:

Wonderful show – Glad to know more on this topic is coming.

I learned from all the web site links so many people have added in their comments. Number 5 – James gave a link that was very eye opening to me. It has a chart showing the percent of food that is Modified in the US and Percent Modified in world. It clearly shows the US has more GMO’s than the rest of the world.

I have eaten GMO’s it is difficult at times to avoid them but I am working on it. Since people eat meat and most animals are feed grain. People need to think about what the animals eat and not just if it is organic grain. Organic grain for animals does not have the same requirements as organic grain for humans. Also the amount of molds allowed in grain for humans is different than for animals.

31. Sandra says:

I tried to post this to my FB account and it wouldn’t post. Not sure why.