How to Use Different Sweeteners in Your Raw Food Recipes : The Renegade Health Show Episode #686

Tuesday Oct 26 | BY |

I know you all love sweets… 😉

Today, I ask Cherie Soria what sweeteners she likes to use in her raw food recipes as well as her thoughts on substituting sweeteners.

She’ll talk about dates, agave, coconut sugar and more!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite sweetener?

To check out more information about the Living Light Culinary Institute, please click here: http://www.rawfoodchef.com

1. Tara Burner says:

Great info…I personally don’t have a favorite sweetener! depends on what I’m making 🙂

2. Gretchyn says:

wow! I don’t think i’ve ever had the first post! I’ve been digging the stevia lately, also love honey or….mmmmmmm real maple syrup 🙂

3. Gretchyn says:

ahhh…someone beat me too it 🙂

4. This was a great interview. My favorite sweetener is raw honey. But I’m really curious about coconut sap and I think I will purchase some soon.

James,

5. nick says:

Raisons

6. Kuru says:

So Irish Moss is a sweetener or thickener or both?

I’m into lucuma for now; it goes with everything!

7. Lisa says:

Stevia.
    I save Maple Syrup for “special occasions.”(:

*I enjoyed her interview a lot.
    As always, thanKs a million!

8. Veronika says:

My favorite sweetner is fruit and coconut water, but for raw baking I’ve been trying out the coconut sugar and sap.

Cherie says that coconut sugar is NOT raw, but there are a few different brands, so I’m wondering if certain ones are raw (Coconut Secret) and others are not (Essential Living Foods?). It would be great if you could get in touch with Coconut Secret and find out if their website is stating factual information.

Coconut Secret says all over their website that there products are raw, and specifically their “coconut crystals” are said to be enzymatically alive, low glycemic (35), and the coconut nectar is evaporated at temperatures “never exceeding an average summer day in the tropics.” Here’s a section of their website:

“Coconut tree sap produces a multitude of delicious products, including our Coconut Vinegar, Coconut Aminos Seasoning Sauce, Coconut Nectar, and Coconut Crystals, all made through raw methods of either fermenting the sap (for up to 1 year), or evaporating it (for only 45-90 minutes at low temperatures) after it is collected.”

9. Mary Artemis says:

Dates & lucuma & honey.

Mary from Stamford CT

10. Tiff says:

the only sweetener I can do is dates. I tried agave once about 6 months ago and was knocked out. I tried coconut nectar last week –in uli mama truffles– and felt HORRIBLE, I will never touch it again. My head was splitting, I can’t even figure out how to describe it but I don’t ever get a feeling like that, it was definite cause/effect.

11. Janet says:

I like using pears in things to sweeten it (you can dehydrate them and powder them but you gotta lemon them first so they don’t turn brown if you are concerned about coloring). I also like blending stevia with some coconut sugar or say xylitol. The Japanese mix regular sugar and stevia together and that is in the markets over there. I do like honey as well – all kinds but I mix it with say the coconut or palm sugar.

I really enjoyed learning more about the agar agar and Spanish moss. Apple pectin is also a thickener but I cannot say that I have enough experience with the thickeners to rate it against agar agar or Spanish moss. I’ll have to play with that one.

12. i use organic green stevia powder or whole organic stevia leaves for sweetening and also do use coconut water in a soup recipe or as a replacement for water because it is sweet…dates are a good option, too

check out my 42 day cleansing journey with coconut water in a day to day account on my blog – go to the archive for December 2009 to read it from the beginning

namaste
    chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw (low-fat)Vegan Beauty

13. Brenda says:

I like to tell people, I’m already aweet enough. :-). I tried the Coconut necter after going to Longevity Now. Geese, way strong caramel taste. I like it, a little goes a long way though.

14. Brenda says:

oops, I meant I am already sweet enough. 🙂

15. Irina says:

I like maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar, but on most days, fruit is sweet enough for me.

16. Angie Smith says:

I can’t handle carbs, so stevia & xylitol are the only sweeteners I use now.

17. Angie Smith says:

So weird…I had a dream last night that I was coming to an event to hear you & Ann Marie answer questions and a lady offered me raw pie. The photo of Cherie with the table full of food is not unlike the table in my dream. 😀

18. taylor says:

Raw honey by a long shot!

19. Sarah says:

Hi Kevin and Annamarie! I LOVE your show!! I just discovered it actually and now I find myself going through a lot of your old videos. I just want more and more! Great job!! You are now a reliable source of information for me. I do have a few questions though. I hope that you or your wife will be able to get to my questions eventually. I wouild love to hear what You have to say rather than getting my answer from someone else.

1). What are you thoughts on Cell Food?? I have tried other supplements and this is the ONLY thing that works well and actually gives me a ton of energy. I never want to run out because I really notice it. However, some people on the net say that oxygenated vitamins are bad for you. My body sure likes it though. Please do some research or better yet, try it and let me know what you think. I highly respect both you and your wife! Your opinion is like gold.

2). I labored with both of my boys, but I ended up having a C-section both times. However, I believe that the hospital caused the complications that lead to the C-sections. My sister worked in the hospital accounting department and they had to keep up with deaths. (Yes I know that sounds crazy, but they actually had accounting records for deaths and how a person died). I guess they report to the gov. Well, she said the C-section deaths are really high and they often cover them off or dimiss these dealths as not a big deal. My husband and I really want more children, but we don’t want a C-section. The numbers show that it’s much more risky. However, many doctors try to make it sound like VBAC (vaginal birth afetr C-section) is risky. They are literally lying to women to get them to consent to more surgeries. The BIG problem is that more and more hospitals and doctors are not VBAC supportive. The climate is getting scary. My question is. How can I give my body the best chance to have a successful VBAC?? Do you recommend a home birth, chiropactic care, supplements?? I will find a doctor even if I need to go out of state. What are your thoughts about doctors lying to women?? Is this about money?? So many women are dying at their hands the doctors insurance gives them immunity. This is really happening and it continues to get worse. So many families and mothers are silenced. They did a show on about the high maternal mortality rate on 20/20 last year, but since then there hasn’t been a word about this.

3). Also- What are you thoughts about interval training? Some people say that it’s the best way to lose weight while others say that it’s bad for your heart.

20. Page says:

I use dates and erythritol.

21. Joe says:

1 fruits
    2 flowers’ pollen
    3 bees’ pollen
    … honey

🙂

22. Jan says:

I like stevia in smoothies when my bottle is gone will try the green stevia. In the winter I enjoy a cup of hot water with fresh lemon or lemon balm and a touch of honey.

23. Wendi says:

I love the coconut products. Starting down this road as a diabetic myself and a son with ADHD this stuff is wonderfull. I also keep stieva around to use in my herbal tea.

24. Marie-Line says:

Living in Quebec my fist love is maple syrup, then raw honey(specially in cooking), applesauce (no sugar added) in cooking. I grow my own stevia, dries the leaves and add them to my herbal teas. When I’m not at home I carry my botle of liquid stevia.

25. Kathryn says:

Cherie states that like with flax, the omega 3’s in chia are not as bio-available when the whole seed is used. That conflicts with other info I’ve read about chia, that claim that it does not need to be ground or broken down in order for its nutrients to be bioavailable. So what’s the real story?

26. Jasmine says:

I use stevia right now b/c I’m combating candida.

27. Fontrella says:

I like using Medjool Dates, Honey, or Agave. I have not tried Lucuma powder.

28. Charlotte says:

green powdered stevia and erythritol 🙂 would love to try lakanto but it’s really expensive!

29. Beth says:

Favourite sweetener depends on what I am making. Tend to use honey, date paste and lucuma the most.

30. Helena says:

Favorite sugar substitute is the wonderful, natural
    JUST LIKE SUGAR!
    see web site justlikesugar

31. Kristine says:

I use stevia a lot to sweeten things. In recipes which call for it I use dates. I don’t make a lot of desserts. I would second the person who asked about Cell Food. I just ran out and am going to buy more. Also, I am very curious about Adya Clarity and all its health giving claims. It sounds almost too good to be true. Thanks.

32. Stevia, Raw Honey, Dates & Lucuma. Depends on the recipe.

33. Cindy says:

Although I try to use stevia as my major sweetener, my all time favorite sweetener is maple syrup. I just love the taste.

34. Over the years I’ve found that agave, honey and raw sugar all mess with my bloood sugar levels resulting in my feeling not my best.

The two I’ve found work very well

Lakanto (Luo Han Guo fruit)

and

Stevia ( I prefer the sweet leaf brand) Finding the right brand of stevia is important so you don’t have a bitter after taste.

eleminating sugar and gluten from my diet are the two things that help me feel my best