How to Make a Great Raw Food Recipe with Cherie Soria : The Renegade Health Show Episode #684

Friday Oct 22 | BY |

I recently had a chance to chat with Cherie Soria by phone…

Cherie is the founder of the Living Light Culinary Institute in Ft. Bragg, CA.

What they do there is completely first class, so I wanted to know what it takes to make a great raw food recipe.

Here’s what Cherie has to say, take a look…

Your question of the day: How do you formulate your recipes?

To check out more information about the Living Light Culinary Institute, please click here: http://www.rawfoodchef.com

1. nick says:

when I am making something 4 myself I am not concerned with appearance but I am getting better with combining different spices and textures. Cherie looks great and is very in tune with what raw and SAD eaters are thinking. A great interview. If you have any more with Cherie please post it.

2. Julia says:

You guys are cute. 🙂 Thanks for experimenting around with recipes and bringing lots of interesting info. I like to experiment a lot too. I agree w/ most of what Cherie said about most people settling into a few comfort items that are easy and appealing to them, that’s been the case for me, although I also like to experiment a lot when there’s time. I have a ton of raw food books I have yet to try all the recipes.

3. john says:

Excellent opening and ending .And Very good information your guest has shared.Nice to see both of you back in the trailer. Would be nice if you could share sometime how big your trailer is what you like about it and dislike about your trailer ,how warm is it in winter months,the R-value,how well it holds up ,how long is it ,your yearly expenses on it ,what brand name is it,etc. Enjoy your weekend together.

4. Sharon says:

I like the drama part! For myself, I just toss the things I like in the blender but I’ve always liked my food to have a lot of different sensations and flavors and colors….well, ever since I took a Thai cooking class!

Everyone should take some sort of cooking or food prep course. After all we eat more than virtually any other activity so we may as well be good at it.

5. Mamabird says:

I pretty much follow the raw recipes from the mooks I have or online BUT, I always tweak it to make it a little different.

6. cid says:

What is that blue container on your cabinet?
    Is it a water filter system……..if so, please what kind?

7. josanne says:

I generally try to incorporate 8 to 10 different vegetables and fruits into our meals each day. I use seasonal foods and strive for variety, colour, taste, and ease of preparation.

Have only been vegan for 10 months and am still trying to create a feeling of satisfaction around protein, using lots of different seeds, nuts, beans, grains.

Am using our vitamix daily now, leaning to incorporate more raw foods into our diet. Hope to invest in an Excalibur dehyrator soon to prepare raw foods like crackers, nut burgers…

When we entertain people, I look to recipes for ideas. It is on these occasions that I’ll consider making a decadent dessert.

Loved your interview with Cherie, hope to hear more from her! Josanne

8. Kuru says:

I have a friend who’s a raw food chef and she has taught me the beauty of eating simply, beautifully, and very nutritionally. She doesn’t go for the heavy nut dishes, but always whips up something delectable in taste, color and presentation. One of my favorites is her layered paté, In the food processor she makes a paté out of veggies (carrots, peppers, zuchinni, maybe a few walnuts, lemon, basil, garlic, tahini, etc.). Then she stacks a piece of romaine with the paté, chia gel, seed cream, arugula, bright red tomatoes, and always finishes with some sprouts arranged just so. She varies this stacking and seasoning on any given day, but it’s always simple, and so appetizing.

I like keeping a variety of sprouts on hand: mung and lentil, as well as soaked seeds and work (play) around that. I’ve recently discovered mustard through you guys recipe, and am having some great dressings with that. I have never made a blended drink or soup I didn’t like. Always have the freshest greens, lime, garlic, chia gel, dulse. Sometimes I add hemp seed or avocado or sundried tomatoes; sometimes even some cooked sweet potato chunks (not blended in) if I want to warm it up.

I was always disturbed about the fuss my mother went to, especially on Thanksgiving and Christmas, making all those cooked dishes. 10 hours of preparation devoured in 30 minutes, with an entire kitchen’s worth of pots and pans to clean up. Even though we loved it, we all suffered for hours afterward. I knew there was something better, and it didn’t take that long to find it. Re-listened to Victoria Boutenko on the Rawkathon yesterday for ongoing inspiration.

I had enoki mushrooms at a restaurant recently; fantastic to look at and unusual distinct taste. Look here: http://international.stockfood.com/results.asp?txtkeys=Enoki%20mushroom

Great to see Jonny 5 on the show more often, especially the close ups yesterday. Great voice.

9. I get asked this question ALL the TIME! LOL! I make raw chocolates for a living and am always searching for that something different. So, when I’m coming up with my chocolate recipes, I first consider mood: what am I hoping to evoke? Am I looking to comfort or surprise or side-swipe? ; p In my head, I have categories of foods that do just these things. (I’m sure these categories are different for each person.) After I figure out the mood, then I start mixing and matching flavours. I think Cherie was right on about the drama. LOL! Too funny. I also think she makes a good point about letting each bit in the recipe speak (i.e., the dressing’s flavours interacting with the kale).

Food is experiential and, bottom line, we are emotional eaters. If done well, this can be a very exciting thing!

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

10. Joe says:

Recipes are surely stimulators.

Mixtures of ingredients make the digestion process weaker (fermentations from reactions and loss off nutriment).

Digestion is better one food at the time!

🙂

11. This interview has made me realise that I need to learn some proper recipe skills. My current skills are more in line with Kevin’s. LOL. I just had raw papaya.

12. Sara says:

Hi Annmarie & Kevin,

I LOVE your show!! It’s informative & entertaining, so thankyou 🙂

I’m not sure if it’s OK to ask you these questions. So, if you can’t answer them….for whatever reason, I’ll understand.

I bought “The Gerson Tapes DIGITAL Package” from you & look forward to listening to them. The reason I’m asking you about the use of COFFEE ENEMAS without having listened to the tapes yet, is that I may need to recommend a natural healing method to someone with a serious illness, so before recommending Gerson Therapy…..I need some clarification from someone!

I respect the Gerson Therapy for using natural therapies to help heal people & it’s wonderful to hear that so many people have been healed by it. However, I am concerned about COFFEE ENEMAS.

I’ve heard that ‘coffee enemas’ could be poisonous. And this makes sense to me as coffee is NOT something we should be drinking. I’ve heard that other substances…..healthier than coffee can be used for enemas.

Do you believe coffee enemas are healthy for the body? If so, how is it that we’re not meant to drink coffee, yet it can be placed into our body for enemas? Through coffee enemas wouldn’t the body absorb the coffee too? Can coffee enemas cause any harm?

If one wanted to follow Gerson Therapy, but didn’t want to use coffee for the enemas….do you know if it’s possible to use a safer substance that would do just as good a job as coffee?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated .

Blessings,
    Sara

13. Jan says:

Great Show!
    I try to stick with easy recipes from Transitioning to Living Cuisine. At this point in time when having friends over I make a large salad and soup or something else for them to eat but usually do not eat it myself.
    Cooking has never been something I enjoyed so I never put much effort into it. Taking a raw cooking class is something I need to do.

14. jackie says:

AnnMarie is entitled to reinvent the sauce; after all, she’s made many, many perfectly great recipes on the show! Thanks for not hesitating to let us know your candid opinions on the recipe.

15. Connie says:

Awesome, awesome show. I am going to watch it again and again. THIS is the key issue for me. Please do more of this!

I’ve tried eating 100% raw a couple of times this year and keep losing steam because I cannot figure out how to do it properly on the fly. I hunt down raw recipes that appeal to my tastebuds and then either cannot or do not do them because I don’t have all the ingredients or the time. (Or can’t find the recipe in the growing pile I desperately need to organize.) Besides all that, my family does not want to eat this way and I don’t want to prepare two meals every time we eat. So I need recipes/instructions/skills that will satisfy my desire to eat raw AND make my family happy.

Please, sir, I want more… 🙂

Connie

16. Dee says:

I usually follow a recipe or I tweak it a little bit. What I need to do is start writing down my tweaks so I can recreate those dishes. And, I definitely find that I get into a rut and use the same recipes over and over again. Probably because I know I like them and they work. I have tried recipes that turned out awful and then you have spent all that time and all the ingredients and now you don’t want to eat it. Yuck.