Tuesday Oct 12 | BY |

This is a question that needs to be addressed…

There’s more to it than this simple analysis. I answer that and more in today’s show.

I also get pretty passionate too, so watch out! 😉 (All in a good way!)

Your question of the day: What makes a health expert credible?

1. Russ says:

Experience and accredited training are what I like to see a person have

2. Marcla Green says:

you rock Kevin…YOU ROCK!!!!!

3. KC says:

You can go by what someone looks like to some degree, but you would also have to know where they have been and what they have gone through to look that way. Some (mostly young) people still look good even though their habits are destroying their health. Some people who don’t look so good (yet) look that way because they are still coming back from a very poor state of health – even though they may have made tremendous progress, you might not know it to look at them.

4. Shawn says:

Thanks for the authenticity Kevin, that’s what we need more than anything right now. As far as a health “expert” being credible, it’s very, very simple. They have to WALK THE TALK. Live what you’re talking about. And if you change, you don’t have to make excuses and justifications… Just be honest.

We have so many great people sharing excellent information in our community, it’s just time that everyone stops playing small and work together with integrity to make a sustainable impact.

5. David says:

A health expert is credible when they share information and invite you to experiment so you can make your own decision. That kind of person knows we are each an experiment of one – and we need to find out what works for us. They share personal or scientific observations as input.

Suggesting “right” or “wrong” suggests a ego mindset that “they” are all knowing.

“Those who speak [absolutely], do not know. Those who know, do not speak [absolutely]”. – Lao Tsu

6. Samantha Hussey says:

Kudos to you Kevin…..thank you for being so passionate! A Health Expert is credible when they are in integrity….and of course education and experience.

7. Eranah says:

I like your passion Kevin!!!

8. Andria says:

Dearest Kev,

I so love your passion!!! Right ON!!!! I truly feel that this whole thing called life is a journey filled with baby steps, some days more, some days less but walking a path of optimal health and sharing that in a non judgemental, kind and caring way can only help. Today I feel as though a made a huge step with a very dear friend who is fighting a very aggressive, and told, terminal cancer. She does not want to give up hope and was open to hearing me talk about the power of healing, living, whole foods. Just her asking to know more about how she can improve the quality of life that she has left was so wonderful!! …and who knows…it can only help!!
    THANK YOU!!!!

9. Mary says:

As a vegan concerned with animal suffering, I have to say I totally agree with your methods, Kevin.

I stopped dairy for ethical reasons and was happy to find that all joint pain and stomach upsets disappeared. I have gotten more people to go off dairy products when I talk about that than I ever did when I went from an ethical stance. It’s sad, but true.

Thanks for all you do!

10. Diana C. says:

What makes someone a credible expert is a person who has experience, who walks their talk, is educated about their subject and constantly researches and synthesizes new information so that they don’t remain static. Also someone who is respected by their professional peers.

11. Jim Dee says:

I loved how, right when you were addressing the part about harming animals, that’s when Johnny 5 jumped into your lap. J5’s got your back, bro.

12. Sophia says:

Thanks Kevin!

13. Tina Pruitt says:

Kevin,

I think that experience – be it personal and/or praticial – and true passion and knowledge about one’s work is what makes them creditable. I also do not need those degrees, certificates, etc to make a believer in one’s talents….

Love your passion ~ keep up the great work my friend!

In-Joy,
    Tina Pruitt | The Healthy Lifestylist

14. Tina Pruitt says:

Oops, typing too fast! Excuse the second “i” in practical!

😉

15. Gretchyn says:

i agree with kev’s idea of what makes a health expert credible. I also am leary of health experts who are selling something that only they make and you can’t get anywhere else…just makes me question their motive. Love your passion, kev, great episode!….now i need to exercise…thanks for reminding me 🙂

16. Sharon says:

A health expert is someone who has positive results with their patients, clients, friends. No degree or diploma needed in my opinion but of course if you are practicing, it’s worth it to get a piece of paper but it’s REALLY important to keep learning, not just think you know it all when you get that paper which is what most doctors do…therefore they are not experts on health but just deal with sickness maintenance.

Personally I get advice from a wide variety of sources (doctors, naturopaths, herbalists, and other people) and usually the best advice comes from the people who have experienced illness. For example one woman I met who had a child die, who was severely poisoned, etc has helped so many people survive disease instead of die. I’d call her an expert even though she doesn’t have a degree. She knows more than virtually any doctor I’ve met! Another woman is in a wheelchair with multiple health issues who has tried to get well for over 30 years to no avail. Well, she’s spent those 30 years studying health, biochemistry, the endocrine system. I’d rather talk to her than a doctor any time!

17. Joel Brown says:

The answer to the health expert question is similar to what makes a person who tries to give spiritual guidance credible. It is one’s ability to speak from experience and from multiple perspectives with broadness as opposed to a firm, dogmatic, rigid, narrow, constrictive stance that they are just parroting from elsewhere. And that means that the best guidance one can give in either case is to awaken you to your ability to be your own guide.

18. Estella says:

Great video!!! 🙂

19. charles anacker says:

Vegans have an ethical point of view that is invented. It is only an experiment too and as long as they apply this experiment only to themselves without demanding that other people follow what they “believe”, I find it acceptable. I am moving closer to almost vegan, raw food vegetarian lifestyle, but from a place of increasing knowledge, not some invented or borrowed philosophy from another culture that I found emotionally appealing. I am against factory farms of all kinds, particularly those that concern animals. However, I am not going to condemn someone for experimenting with dietary choices that I don’t agree with. If it works for you, great! If it doesn’t, experiment with your self and make changes. We are all unique and have very different needs based on our own state of health, heritage, ethnic origins, traditions, occupations, etc. Having an arrogant or superior attitude only turns people off. Being willing to experiment and openly dialogue about our choices is both healing and productive. Thank you Kevin for willing to be honest and sharing your experiments.

20. nick says:

A health “Expert” Has to be honest and put his opinions beyond his ego and income…. Be able to recommend something that he or she is not going to profit from. Be able to admitt if they made a mistake. Not speak as though whatever they are promoting is going to work or be right for everyone. Practice what they preach……..
    We have to be our own health “experts” No one knows us better then us and any “Health expert” that tells you to listen to your own body to make a decision is probably honest.
    While I understand capitalism and the need to make a living it would be great if there was no conflict of interest on health and research “expert” opinions ……

21. Jolie says:

I don’t think it is shallow about looking good.
    I’ve been so confused over so much conflicting data that circulates that now one of my major criteria is based on the health of the person who is giving the info. Does their skin look healthy and glowing? Do they fit in their clothes nicely? Do they have energy? Are they kind?
    And by the way Kevin you look great!

22. Roberta McMillian says:

Kevin, thank you so much for your passion, honesty, and concern for the greater good of all as well as your determination to keep moving forward to get to the truth. I truely appreciate your passion for life and truth. You keep me thinking about what I need to do next to be the best me possible.

23. Noelle Janke says:

i just started to watch your show and am gaining alot of knowledge…thank you. I am suffering from candida overgrowth and am slowly beginning to convert to a raw food diet. I have rid sugar from my diet but am concerned about my toothepaste! Is there a tasty toothepaste without sugar?

24. Chris G says:

Somebody who practices what they teach. Which as Kevin said, leads to overall good health and appearance.

25. Vegan Diet says:

I love the way Johnny5 is meowing in the background!

I think a health expert is credible if it’s clear they have spent alot of time and experience with a subject. For instance, if they have written a book or even have been blogging for a while. It’s about breadth of experience for me.

However, these same experts lose credibility really quickly when they start making radical statements without much to back it up. To me, their credibility is not enough to make everything they say true. I take it all with a grain of salt and give more credibility to those who have been giving sensible information for a while and not wildly changing their minds without giving good reasoning as to what changed.

For instance, David Vitalis and Susan Schenk (sorry forgot her name) both said they gave up being vegan/raw vegan because they weren’t feeling good anymore. But, they didn’t say if they went to get tested and find out what they were deficient in or what changed in their physiology. They just jumped ship and started eating animals and animal products again. I could have accepted their shift if they had given one real reason why eating animals makes them feel better. What is the missing nutrient that they were not getting??? If they can’t name it then they’ve lost credibility with me and I have to say they weren’t deficient in a nutrient they just didn’t want to be vegan anymore.

26. Kiyoshi says:

Credibility comes from ones history of commitment and work they’ve done in the field. It can come from the amount of study, research, experimentation, adaptation and development. As to the harming animals thing. Did you punch the cow? Did you shoot it full of synthetic hormones and antibiotics? Or did you do what hundreds of other vegetable diet based society has done for thousands of years. Now I’m not advocating the consumption of dairy products. If fact the concept is pretty silly actually. Name any other mammal in nature other than man that drinks milk past the time they should be weaned. Name any other one that drinks from another species unless forced by starvation or man. So outside of the potential harm to an animal there really is no reason to consume it. All the so called benefits can be obtained in other ways.

27. Joseph DiMasi says:

Great job, brother!

(funny that sometimes you have to go into the role of ‘babysitting’ some of these comments&concerns… 😉 You handle it well.)

Agreed w/ others above, but I’d say that since so much is still unknown about health, another aspect of being a health expert is being able to say “I don’t know”.

28. Suzen says:

Yes, we definitely want compassion for all of God’s creatures on earth. But there is another storm brewing concerning our own survival as a species on this beautiful earth…that is water. It has recently been discovered that the earth’s water table has dropped significantly – repeat, significantly – from our endless and unmeasured draw on it for things like crops. There are no measurements for how much water is actually available; but concerns are growing about this potential crisis. So, for me, the best health expert is someone who thrives on ancient ways of perma-culture and forest farming as a way of life. Time is of the essence. Yes, Kevin, you are right – until we look at the big, bigger, biggest forms of health practice – no need to worry about the itty-bitty details. Thanks for your tireless efforts Kevin and AnnMarie.

29. Donna says:

Kevin,
    The show where you explained your acne reaction to the milk made me re-think my cheese consumption. So I am giving up the dairy products to see what happens. I am an asthmatic and so far I notice I breath easier.

Thanks for that motivation! LIke you always say, “changing the world one show at a time!” Amen.

Donna

30. Britt says:

Kevin, wonderfully passionate video … Great information, as always x

31. db : ) says:

The most credible health experts have integrity and practice the principles they teach. They offer realistic solutions that produce results.

I especially value doctors and/or researchers that can scientifically document claims with the integrity standards and dedication of Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski!

32. Sue Paterson says:

Knowledge,Experience,Integrity but most importantly the willingness to honor each persons nutritional needs and teaches to allow your body to teach you what it needs.

33. Angie Smith says:

Kiyoshi (#17): Cats. I heard a lady talking about her cats, and they will drink from any other animal that will let them, even when they are fully grown.

34. Alicia says:

I think you have to look at the person and determine if they are walking their talk and if they have optimal health – I don’t want to learn to be healthy from someone who has sickness and is out of shape.
    Also Kevin just wanted to say THANK YOU and I have come to respect you more and more over time – I am in Yoga teacher training right now and the one most important thing I’m learning or rather re-affirming is that everyone is an individual and as individuals our bodies need different things so one approach to anything will not work for everyone and I hear that loud in clear in your messages – what works for you may not for someone else it is up to them to see how it works for them. Different types of yoga different types of food or ways of eating will depend on the individual and the individual alone – we are all on our own path and should accept where everyone else is at on theirs and not be judgmental because we have not walked in their shoes. ok two cents done – ah and I just think I hit upon what makes a health professional credible – they want to help you to find your best way to health, what works for you and you alone – paz y amor!

35. Brenda says:

Again I say, KEVIN YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Absolutely look at the big picture. First the six things, for sure. What makes a health expert credible? Yes, honesty & experience, also practicing what they preach AND results. yep, results. 🙂

36. Irina says:

What make a health expert credible? Knowledge, experience, open-mindedness, ability to change their approach with new information, practicing what they preach, and looking healthy.
    Kevin, from what I have read and heard from the local farmers, I have to disagree with you and Donna Gates about A2 cow milk. New Zealand has a test that determines A2 from A1 cows, and they are on the path to completely restoring their herds to A2. Any farmer that wants to test their cows in the US can do the same genetic testing. The Hi-Vee chain in some states actually sells A2 cow milk. Guernsey cows are purebred and usually exhibit A2 genes in about 80% of them, Jersey cows 50-60%. Only Holstein breed is mostly A1, and that is because they were cross-bred. Saying that A2 cows have disappeared from North America is a huge exaggeration and oversimplification of the whole issue, more likely the opposite, as people are learning more about this genetic link. I agree though that it may not be as important for someone who cannot tolerate cow milk,as it is probably simpler to avoid it altogether. But since we are talking about facts, science and experiments here, I think this issue warrants more scrutiny. I for one, would like to hear from an expert dairy farmer who has experience with the topic, someone like Keith Woodford, the author of “Devil in the Milk” or someone of his caliber.
    Lastly, I don’t understand how drinking raw milk from ethically and humanely treated animals harms them. Dairy animals on a small farm are treated like family and easily live for 7-8 years old if healthy. It is drastically different from factory farming and I don’t see why you need to have an explanation, especially one like you have in this video that you had to try the milk again to “show others that milk is bad for health” is beyond my understanding.
    I really appreciate your “stirring the pot” and bringing all these discussions into the open. And I appreciate your passion on the issues! That is what makes it interesting and worthwhile to follow!

37. Vegan Diet says:

Also want to add that I like to see health experts that are a living embodiment of what they’re teaching.

If someone says that eating raw food is a good way to lose or maintain weight and has anti-aging properties it doesn’t gel well with me if they are really overweight and are not aging well…

38. Vitamin B12 says:

A health expert seems credible to me if they can walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I have seen so many ‘health practioners’ who appear as if they know what they are talking about, but look very unhealthy themselves. This gives the impression that what they are saying may sound good but just doesn’t work in practice.

I’m having a health check-up and all my blood tests done this week at an anti-aging clinic in Bangkok. I visited a few clinics and spoke to the doctors before booking this particular one and I have to say that I’m very impressed with both the doctor’s knowledge and also how healthy he looks.

Contact me via the link and I will share the results. I’ve been eating vegan for about 25 years, so am looking forward to seeing what my tests show.

39. eyla says:

To Charles comment no.12
    do what they do because of an ‘invented’ philosophy which ‘borrows’ from other cultures is quite patronizing.
    It makes great assumptions about people and their culture, spirituality, drive and reasons for doing what they do.
    I know Daniel Vitalis just said veganism is an ‘experiment’ and to many degrees I agree with him, but it is no grounds to belittle peoples choices, when you could never meet everyone who chooses that path to determine that they are just lost and stealing thoughts from a culture to fill a gap in their lives.

Maybe we all need to be a bit more open minded and let others get on with their lives without judgment.

40. eyla says:

On the question;

I think that practicing what they preach and overall signs of vitality are a good indicator,
    Along with success in a clinical or similar situation.

41. Cathy says:

Thanks for being so honest Kevin. I gave up dairy as an experiment to see if my asthma would improve (it did). Becoming a vegan came much later. Recently I gave up gluten in an attempt to clear up my allergies and the beginnings of arthritis in my hands. Again big improvements. Never stop your experiments. To me an expert is someone like Dr. Joel Fuhrman who you recently interviewed. Someone with experience, education and a clinical background who can back up what he says with hard scientific data.

42. Tiff says:

I agree with eyla #28 I felt the same way.

43. Mark says:

Someone much wiser than I once said… by their fruits ye shall know them. If a tree be diseased it gives forth diseased fruit. I used to find it interesting to watch the beef commercials on TV, how celbrities, who were obviously aging and diseased touted the benefits of meat. There are many so called health experts out there today who are not honest and have agendas mostly centered around money. I have been doing this free to share wisdom and knowledge for over 20 years, with no agenda.I think we all should be health experts, we should study and learn for life is precious, there is no greater gift. We should treat it respectfully.

44. craigs says:

An expert is someone who puts there whole mind body and spirit into what ever they do and they follow the truth that GOD puts in there heart and follow IT ,no matter where they THINK it will lead them. Then through Lifes experiences more and more truth floods this person with Positive results. THe more Experiences they have it becomes clear to us that they are an expert, OUR heart( inner voice),Which makes our mind body and spirit jump for joy. evrything comes around in a full circle and we share this knowledge to someone else this same process will happens again and again and again!!!

45. Lise says:

Great anwers!!!! Congradulations for your ggod work! Don’t give up!!!

Have a healthy great day!!!!

46. Joe says:

Expert?
    Shows his experiences, doesn’t talk about them.

47. RobertaB says:

People today are very visually oriented, so I feel that what makes a health expert credible is more of a “look” than anything else. Is that wrong? Of course it is. But we have to work in the environment we live in, and in today’s world more emphasis is being put on beauty than brains. Someone who is not as “fit” looking or good looking as the next guy may have all the right answers, but the “fit” or good looking person gets more attention. And in order to teach anyone anything, you first have to get their attention. So a health expert needs to look the part – healthy, vibrant, attractive.

48. Linda says:

Kevin, I was thinking about the importance of exercise the other day while walking my dog. Diet alone can not make us healthy, but it is a very big part. My daughter, who is in the health and fitness field, has clients that are always complaining how they are not seeing results from exercise, but they refuse to change their eating habits. Changing the diet is very hard for some. So much emotion tied to it. Maybe if the big TV networks would air” Earthlings” people would start to see what is going on. Just like when Upton Sinclair’s book “The Jungle” was read by Theodore Roosevelt and the public which brought about the passage of the pure food laws.

49. john says:

A person who walks the talk. Being genuine ,truthful,sincere,open,experienced. CONSISTENT Results orientated on others/patients .On going experimentation on animals /people to find out what health products works best . Honest ,Truthful Viewer feed back as to ones own results, comparison studies.Noted speakers as guests. To name just some things off the top of my head that I would consider some one an expert.But more than this to me would be also to the above, does the person openly confess and acknowledge to the world and have the FAITH and belief in the Lord Jesus Christ as the creator of man and the world around him in which each of us live in . And stand up to this truthful conviction in faith, based on the word of God and not mans humanistic ideas . It takes more faith to believe this world and it’s inhabitants got here by chance or evolution than it does to have faith in what God saith in the scriptures—Think about it friends.

50. Lee Wenzel says:

Do you have something for extreme pain when I don’t want to use meds or drugs just so I can walk to the bathroom. Lee

51. Marie Kretzschmar says:

@Lee W. depends what kind of pain you are in but you can use (source naturals) L-Theanine w/gabba/magnesium. Arnica Montana, Heel brand remedy’s has a lot of combo products…iherb.com or most health food stores. I hope you don’t really have extreme pain you have to use something it can hinder the healing process and that you don’t have a wound or something that needs attention. Don’t be so wound up about not taking meds or maybe seeking medical attention. Peace to you and hope you can have someone close to you help you today, now.

52. Rikki M says:

when they talk the talk and walk the walk, and be honest with them self , beside some of this people that go back to eating animal products , SO WHAT, as we are evolving our body is changing to, and it will tell us, what we need, so why hang them for it , what was perfect for us yesterday may not be today , that’s not crime to learn about our self , its growing pains 🙂 I think most people put the health gurus and mentors on mental pedestal, and then get mad when these people don’t match there expectations all the time every waking moment

53. taylor says:

Kevin did not harm anything… Vegans continually put down others for “harming” animals, but if you own a computer you are just as guilty. You live in a house? Drive a car? have a dog or cat(who’s food contains animal products)? Use running water? Use toilet paper? I mean, come on, we can get so nit-picky. Everything we do harms other animals.

It’s not fair to eliminate one piece of the puzzle and be self-righteous when we are all clearly supporting production of factories which kill our ecosystems.

This is the renegade HEALTH show, not the renegade animal rights whatever show.

Sell your car, burn down your house, plant some trees, and live in a fort; then we can talk “ethics.” But if you did that, you’d probably end up killing animals for food! The cycle never ends.

54. Matt says:

Thank you Irina (#37), I can’t for the life of me fidgure out why people think milking the animal is harming them as long as it is not a factory farm type situation.
    Good work Kevin and keep up the open minded journalism!

55. Terri says:

To tell you the truth, my only ‘expert’ is my body. I will read and study the principles and information provided by various nutritional and alternative health health experts and will sometimes experiment according to what I think might be helpful. But in the end, my body is unlike any other, and what may work wonders for someone else, may not work well for me and vice-versa. According to my latest bloodwork – my expert has been spot on. 🙂

btw — love the passion Kev.

56. Elmer J. Fudd says:

Virginia Messina and Jack Norris are credible experts.

57. Leam says:

In agreement with an earlier comment, I loved how your lovely kitty cat got up close and personal when the question was raised about you harming animals. Absolutely so sweet! He wanted attention and acknowledgement – he received it and was at peace.
    As for a health expert: someone that comes from a place of love, compassion, knowledge, holistic, practices what they preach – just to name a few.

58. Susan says:

Wow – Kevin & AnnMarie thank you for bringing about this community. I so appreciate what everyone has to say – you are all awesome! Sometime comments will make me laugh, cry or just ponder. I’ve been an Inner Circle member for over 2 years and during this time I came off Nexium, high blood pressure meds and allery meds (4 different ones). Kevin you and AnnMarie have helped in this process immensely and I consider you both credible health experts. Thank you for sharing youself with us, I am privilege and honored. Bless you both!

59. Rhonda D says:

Kevin

Love the passion and johnny5 too cute.

60. Kathryn says:

You may want to do a study on conspiracy and mind control – because the Vegan diet seems to be very involved with a certain agenda.

61. LA says:

Kevin, Love your passion! your kitty does too 🙂

62. sina says:

hi
    would love to know your opinion on adya clarity been hearing that it can totally cleanse the body of candida and pathogens could it be true?

63. Thomas says:

Credibility is definitely important in a “health expert”. Seeing is believing, like with Jack LaLanne . . . I would consider him an expert on both health and longevity. He is living proof. Young people cannot teach about longevity . . . they haven’t the experience or proof.

Here is a most amazing story of a man’s struggle and harassment in the field of alternative health solutions in an earlier time in America. It is written by the “other side”, yet is a most amazing story of Adolphus Hohensee:

64. Sarah says:

I love your passion. I appreciate you sharing all your experiments. That is what makes you such an influential educator. Great video!

65. I think what makes a health expert credible is their ability to LISTEN and LEARN from a patient. Any medical professional who thinks they’ve got everything figured out, or that their way is always best in every case has no credibility in my book.

66. Sherri says:

Excellent show! I agree with so many above 🙂
    They must look healthy… over all. Hair, eyes, and skin tone are real good signs, and that is if they have only been going strong for a short time. It does not take long to see results. Even when someone is welling, they can still have many healthy signs. And always willing to learn more. Both of you are excellent examples 🙂

67. Miranda says:

Kevin,
    Good on you for being so passionate – it’s great to see!
    Just thought I would let you know that in Australia we can get A2 milk at our supermarkets – very lucky, I know!
    Here is the site for more info: http://www.a2milk.com.au/

68. Robin says:

Thanks Kevin for another great show!
    You guys have helped change my life for the better for sure! I listen to you before I listen to most! I love that you are open minded!!!
    To #51 EFT ~ Emotional Freedom Technique
    just an idea but it may help you with your pain….depends on many factors….Kev’s friend Nick Ortner has a documentary out called the Tapping Solution…check it out if you can. If it does not help with this pain it may help in another way.
    Thanks for your love and concern for humanity!

69. Nick says:

Someone who doesn’t just come off like a slick huckster. Unlike a wolf in sheep’s clothing a credible expert would not only be touting supplements and treatments or diagnostic methods had at whatever cost, but also lets people in on ways which are free, or cheap, at least also giving the DIY alternative. everyone’s gotta make something of a living somehow, but not everyone has can afford the expensive supplements or to be given the treatment. So a good health expert would speak to as wide an audience, and not just to those above a certain income level.

70. melissa says:

Awesome video!!! I really love your honesty and willingness to try everything!!
    Great co-host today too:)

71. Marla says:

Go Kevin! Thank you. Reasoning from cause to effect is the answer. There are few on the planet who understand how to obtain true experience… Thank you for your wonderfully balanced, principled, and forthright discussion here. What makes credibility? One who acts on the laws upon which our bodies were made to function in individual contexts. (variations on physical, mental, spiritual output should determine equal input.)Balance is not defined by not being too strict, but rather, the fine tuning the body does for us and we co-operate by giving it it’s basic needs in the balanced amounts that it needs.

72. TallBear says:

Hi,

In regards to “Kevin, Why Did You Harm Animals for Your Own Health Experiment? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #676”.

How did you, if you did, harm animals? Just because you drank cows milk? How was the cow harmed by you drinking its milk?

73. nancy says:

RAW..KON KEVIN! There are many pieces to the puzzle..we do have to look at the whole picture! I once took a class/I will say an expensive class from a person that has authored a raw cookbook..I took the class (now I realize) because she was GREAT at marketing herself as a competant Raw food teacher…more by what she said than what she presented. I learn much more from you and Ann Marie as you teach by example…I have learned to value not only the individuals education and experience but also by how they live. When I see a teacher that carries and extra 60 pounds on their frame and then hear them “say” how wonderfully they eat I cannot seem to put thos two pieces of information together. Also when I question what they are teaching and am met with defensive words and attitudes I will learn from this information — it is my decision to follow the leader that has something I want…The two leaders at RH are the kind I can learn from and appreciate – thank you!

74. jason says:

Great show Kevin!

75. KAREN BEATTIE says:

STUDY, PRACTICE WHAT THEY PREACH, PRAY, LISTEN AND DO THE BEST TO HELP OTHERS NATURALY!KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES IN A HEALTH CRISES HELP IS NEEDED AND PUTTING THE KNOWLEDGE TO WORK ON OUR OWN HAS BEEN DONE! WE CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CAN’T MAKE HIM DRINK.

76. lisa says:

Great question! In fact, I have often wondered about your credibility and that is why I have never really looked at the non-recipe shows until now. This pulled me in. My thoughts:

1) Someone w/o an egotistical “I’m the expert” attitude, but is willing to admit they don’t know everything and “hey, let’s find out together and sift through a variety of sources.” Actually, someone who doesn’t call themselves an “expert” then.

2) A dynamic passion for the topic so they are constantly compelled to research and study.

3) Personal references and experimentation (like you discussed today!).

4) Citing scientific studies. I know science isn’t always covering the “renegade” topics and we can’t look to science to prove everything, but it definitely helps lend credibility rather than “because I say so.”

5) But most importantly, making up your own mind with what resonates with you.

Great question!

77. wow, i am a good friend of lauren in buffalo! she is SO SUPER dynamic and has been journaling about you guys help and her raw food diet! she is so amped and excited and dedicated!
    i was diagnosed with bipolar a couple months ago, and was prescribed some pretty strong meds. i have been on psychotropic meds for about 5 years. i am wondering if i try a more vegan to raw diet my symptoms would improve.
    anyways, shout out to lauren in buffalo, i love you guys for helping her out! she is such a beautiful and inspiring person, god bless her on her journey and god bless you guys for inspiring Health all over!
    jane

78. Jeni says:

Hi Kevin

I think it is great that you show how to do deal with food allergies and then explain to an audience.
    Those that are worried about harming Animals just cos you want to taste fermented milk is just too ridiculous for words.
    These people need to get a
    life and watch the real horror of factory farms and slaughter houses.
    You both rock!!

Jeni

79. Hey, Kevin, thanks for answering my question and mentioning meeting me in the video 🙂

As far as credibility, I like to see that a person first of all, is HEALTHY; that they practice what they preach. I also like to see them admit that different things may work for different people. I like to see that as their knowledge and experience evolve, so do they. Anyone who believes in a one-size-fits-all mentality with no room for deviation is unrealistic and close-minded. Anyone who advertises their degrees and flaunts the letters after their name does not impress me. True knowledge is experiential, not merely earned through rote memorization.

Kevin, you are a great example of a credible health expert.

80. bitt says:

Addressing the animal part, I get it, milk does cause acne for some. However what if it had made you feel “great” as some former raw vegans now profess? Then what? Where do the animals stand in that?

I disagree that we can’t argue intellectually and emotionally about animals. In fact the people who go vegan for those reasons are the ones who stick to it.

81. Britt says:

I love your passion, seeing this episode made me want to watch your shows again.

82. Wendy says:

Thank you for keeping these videos available for viewing. I have been too busy this fall to view them when they were uploaded.