Is Your Boss into Sacred Commerce? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #675

Monday Oct 11 | BY |

I had a chance to speak to Matthew and Terces Engelhart from Cafe Gratitude recently…

One of the things that stuck out about the interview – which I’ll showcase here – is their attention to a concept called Sacred Commerce.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What would happen if your boss incorporated Sacred Commerce into your work day?

To read more about Matthew and Terces Engelhart and Cafe Gratitude, please click here: http://www.CafeGratitude.com

1. john says:

How about Bible based commerce .Love thy neighbor as thy self. Do unto others as you want them to do unto you . Honest and truthful business dealings .If mistakes and honest misunderstandings occur .People will know your integrity of character by your apology and sincerity. And that includes at times telling the truth or stepping on toes at times eg. buyer beware.

2. casey says:

I believe everyone is really trying to incorporate this into their life but at their own level. Its humane to extend our empathy to as far as we allow ourselves. I love how he talked about fear. That I think is the factor that determines how far we can extend our empathy. Hopefully someday we will all be able to understand that relationship between our fear, compassion and our own happiness

3. Sophia says:

I loved this interview!!!

4. Heyward says:

What happens during this “clearing process?”

If you are or have been an employee, will you please share your experience? Thank you.

5. mak says:

dear Kevin
    good interview, no doubt, like everything you and Annmarie bring us.

but I have to reply to your comment I got today:
    “Frankly, I have no idea why we celebrate this faux holiday,but we do..”

Kevin, Columbus day is a holiday celebrated in many many countries around the globe. Here, the Spanish and Italian communities are very proud of this heritage. His accomplishment for the whole world should not be ignored.
    Happy Columbus Day to you!

6. Dear Mak, please read Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States” to get an alternative perspective of what I agree is a faux holiday.

Dear Kevin, my company name is Rite Food and Company. I produce a line of raw spoonable chocolates called Rite Chocolate. I was very deliberate in choosing my company and product names because I wanted to ensure that -I- would remember and reiterate my daily purpose: to keep it all as a RITE, that I am working always in company, with and for people (hence, “and Company”). I quit my 12-year job at a university to start this company because I realized that I wasn’t working from my heart… just like you always advocate. : )

Thank you for bringing this ideal to the fore.

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Owner, Rite Chocolate

7. andrew says:

some of these topics (in my opinion)resonate with the new book by Dr Zhi Gang Sha MD called “Divine Transformation” – i think its his best book – not much at all on diet but life success

8. Lorien says:

Where I work we are all free to be authentic. Whats missing is the desire/ability to move people forward in life. I am developing a business that is very much one that desires to move people forward. I liked the sound of what these folks are doing. John: sounds like what their doing is what you would call bible based to me. I have spent 30 years studying the bible. It does not have to quote chapter and verse to be bible based. It also does not have to be bible as we know it to be from the same source. Rather then saying is it bible, perhaps we should ask, is it Love? After all, isn’t that how the God of the bible defines Himself?

9. Cindy (Sydney, Australia) says:

WOW. What a great interview with two wonderful, open, compassionate, caring, giving people. I wish I lived in the US so i could meet them and maybe work for them as that is some support & guidance that i could use in my life right now. I don’t work but I’m sure if more bosses took this approach (or just people in general) the world would be a much better place. You are so blessed to know people like that & to have access to them in your life. God bless them & the work they do. I feel so grateful to have heard this and to have you both in my life to supply this awe inspiring info to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

10. db says:

You ask the question: Is your boss into sacred commerce? Have you ever asked is your boss into God? If not, Why not?

I noticed on the cover of the Sacred Commerce was the image of Buddha. Therefore just by the cover you would get the strong impression they believe the principle/teachings of Buddha (though they don’t use the name in the interview) are THE answer for commerce to evolve into “sacred commerce”. Terces says “we are not saying that they are the truth”. If they believe these principles are not the truth why teach them? That statement comes across as untrue to me.

I cannot disagree with the principles of confessing your sin (transgression), repenting of wrong doing, nor speaking hope and charity based in truth; however, the terminology they use (in my opinion) discounts the omnipotence of God and elevates man (our ego does a good job of that).

They say “bring it to the Light”, but what if commerce said “bring it to God”. How can you look at the mountains, plants, wildlife, and most of all the miracle of a baby and not see God?

I have not heard any interviews from you regarding businesses that follow God-based principles. Did I miss an episode?

If God’s principles of prayer, truth, forgiveness, and love are brought into a commerce environment what usually happens? Often such Judeo-Christian principles are attacked. Is there a double standard?

I believe if people (like employers) implement the Biblical principles spoken about by Christ, the society would be healthier than it is now. As to the “sacred commerce”, I have not read the book nor observed their business practices, if it causes people to not seek the true God than in my opinion it misguided or sincerely wrong.

11. Muriel says:

Kevin, thank you for this interview, this is the direction we all need to follow and the world would be a better place.
    One of my favorite quotes: “Love like you have never been hurt”.
    It is a decision and eventually it becomes who you are. Isn’t that what Jesus did and still does. He loves us unconditionally and is always ready to forgive us, so we also must love like we have never been hurt.
    That is unconditional love.

12. Michelle says:

Althought I have not YET met Matthew and Terces, and I very much hope to get to one day, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their concept and their cafe and the way I FEEL when I am in their space to enjoy their fabulous, vegan, super healthy and yummy delights (food!). I can be having a really bad day that I can’t seem to shake off and when I go to Cafe Gratitude, I am completely transformed and leave there not even feeling any sort of discourse. It is like this for me every time. I feel a newfound sense of peace and calm and a sense of “life is gonna all be alright”! Their staff are always WELCOMING and AUTHENTIC, the food is delicious and nourishing (to me and to our planet mother earth), the music they play in the cafe adds to the sense of nirvana I get while being there. I love this place and these people of Cafe Gratitude who are sharing the earth with me…

13. john says:

# 11 , well said. Amen to that .

14. Alex says:

This is my favorite video of all times. Thank you. I got more out of this than one can imagine.

15. Gretchyn says:

Lovely interview today folks! Is my boss into sacrad commerce? well, i am my boss so i think yes! sounds like an interesting concept and book. loved what they had to say about fear and embracing failure….Being free to be a fool! I can dig it! love to all!

16. Camala says:

I am fortunate to be able to frequent Cafe Gratitude and Gracias Madre and this model for business is courageous and it creates a unique environment for patrons to be served. They will be the first to admit that this model (nor any business model) is not perfect however this compassionate way of growing people and business is close! Thanks for the sharing the interview!

17. Brenda says:

My boss is into Sacred Commerce. 🙂 My boss is me. I have been to three different Cafe Gratitudes, many times each. Fabulous food and environment. They usually ask you “What are you grateful for?”

18. Loved the interview. I believe we all have something to b grateful for. Our society is one of possessions , and we need to get away from that concept. We need to all work together to help one another, God will provide for our every need. It would b nice if every one could try to follow the golden rule,’ treat others as we would want to be treated’. We have all been given the gift of freewill….. how will we use that determines who we are……….

19. Heather Hemphill says:

Have you changed something in your video settings? For the last while the videos stall numerous times. I have not changed anything but usually watch the videos on my breaks at work and I have no ability to upgrade anything on my work machine.

I love the direction of your focus though this one is awesome. I saw a long article on Lee Valley Tools in Canada and they are an awesome company.

20. Gordy says:

Very powerful episode! Can Sacred Commerce be applied as the new interpretation of ALL daily activities and movements?
    Start your day with a glass of water to clear the psyche and ask for the Divine to provide you with the strength and guidance to live in right relationship to ALL things and be seen only in ‘LOVE’ as Only God!

I liked the acknowledgment of fear. I believe this is what makes or breaks the success of one. If we can just recognize the intuitive power that each one of us possesses, that is to be “LOVED”. We must learn to move beyond ourselves and realize that in community is where real success is able to grow and be felt on all levels. We really only see ourselves in the reflection of our company. By allowing oneself to be seen, we as a community, can serve each other on the appropriate ego-less movements of what we are really doing. Several times a day we should all practice a few moments of silence in gratitude, clear the psyche, remember it’s all about ‘LOVE’ and treat each other with the respect and dignity that is inherent as life.

Love to all!

21. Kathy says:

Kevin – I’m “grateful” for the interview…it was very much appreciated!

22. Vitamin B12 says:

Great interview. I think fear of failure stops a lot of people in all endevours. Failure is often taken as a sign of some personal weakness. In reality it is just something that didn’t work out. Some businesses work and some fail. There is nothing personal in that. It’s just the way it is.

23. Tino Dai says:

@Heyward: The clearing process is done either in a group or one on one. The person(s) that you speak to is your committed listener(s). His or her “job” is to get what speaker said adding or subtracting nothing too it. The idea is to create a clear that possibility can arise in. It is fascinating what happens. I learned about this at Landmark Education (I’m sure that there are other places on the web that you can learn about this also).

24. Jan says: