Are Plastic Bottles OK to Store Water In? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #670

Monday Oct 4 | BY |

Storing water in plastic bottles is a big question…

In this episode, Daniel Vitalis explains his thoughts on storing water in plastic bottles.

He also explains some of his own experience with the vegan diet.

Your question of the day: Have you ever had wild ginger?

To check out more information about the Longevity Conference, please click here: http://www.TheLongevityNowConference.com

To read more about Daniel Vitalis, please click here: http://www.danielvitalis.com

1. Thanks, Kevin, for bringing Daniel on! My family does a show called Sweet Peas Podcast that chronicles our food journey. We have had Daniel on a number of times. If anyone’s looking for more info on water, we did a 4-part interview with him where he covered this. Check out http://www.ritefoodandcompany.com/Podcast/index.html. The episodes I’m referring to are 33-36. (His other ones are great, too! : )

Water is so crucial. I’m glad you’re covering this.

And, nope, never had wild ginger.

Take good care,
    Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt

2. Jan says:

Never had wild ginger. What part of the country does it grow in?

3. Sandee says:

I was in Ann Arbor yesterday : ) My son goes to U of M….now I will be looking for the heart shaped leaves when we go on our walks : )

4. Another great video. As a vegan I’m particularly interested to hear that more people who have been vegan are starting to eat some meat. I would like to hear more debate on this issue. It’s important that we get to the truth and aren’t blinded by our current beliefs.

5. Richard says:

Kevin,

Great interview like always… hope we get the remainder of that interview tomorrow! Thanks!

6. Fontrella says:

Never had wild ginger before…at least I know how the leaves looks so when I do see it I will try it. Not sure if I will be able to find it in Alabama but i will do a research to see what states it would grow. Thanks

7. db says:

Great Video! Much information.

Wild ginger…how neat is that!

8. Julie says:

Kev: The water on our property is naturally high in salt, iron and potentially damaging bacteria and at times, liver flukes. We therefore, have to chlorinate, and then de-chlorinate and filter our water to make it useable. So, there isn’t any usble spring water available except thru buying it. Is there a way to make the water that is available good to drink? Buying water for daily use is very expensive. ….Julie

9. You’re in Ann Arbor?? Just an hour and a half from me! Stop by Bay City if you are ever passing through. You have an open invitation to stay at our home. 🙂

I have never had/seen wild ginger, but apparently it’s something I could probably find locally if I knew what I was looking for.

10. Steve says:

Kevin –
    Great show & interview today.
    Never seen raw ginger, but now that I know what it looks like I’ll search for it.
    I felt that your guest today was about to make (or finish) a statement regarding eating an “all vegan” diet vs “some animal foods” when the viideo cut him off mid-sentence and went to your wrap-up ending the show. What was he about to say? Will there be a part 3 so we can know more?
    Thanks,
    Steve

11. Kristen Schriver says:

Kevin, I continue to appreciate your openness/willingness to allow people to discuss different opinions. The issue of to consume animal related foods is so fascinating to me. I prefer the “idea” of being a vegan, but I purchased some deer antler essence at the conference!

The best stance to take is always keep an open mind, keep learning and to engage in respectful conversation. Keep it up!

12. tupperware or used bottles

13. Kelly says:

Hi Kevin!
    I also thought Daniel was going to finish his story about eating animal products and am hoping that there is another video with this part coming next…please?!

Also, I have never had wild ginger…and I also enjoyed your newsletter on local food today.

My family has been mostly vegan (except trace amounts) for 8 years and are starting to crave animal products. I am prayerful about our next steps and have been listening to you, Paul Nison, the woman you video’d before, and now Daniel. So curious to what the future holds for us.

To health!

Kelly

14. eyla says:

Thanks for the open mindedness and fresh ideas!

Never seen wild ginger like that,
    I saw wild ginger lilies in a Malaysian rain forest, they were really different to that plant, they were bright red-orange, and it was just the flower that popped out of the ground,no stem or leaves it looked as though it was a flower which had dropped from a tree, very pretty!

I’m long term vegan, but I like what Daniel is saying, it does make sense, although I don’t know exactly where I stand on it all, ethically and in terms of health, it’s food for thought!

15. Kari says:

Kevin! You are 45 minutes away! I’m so close yet so far.

I didn’t know that is what wild Ginger looks like. I’ll have to pay attention on my next walk.

16. Veronika says:

Thanks for these videos with Daniel! I haven’t tried wild ginger before.

What do you and Daniel think about those alkalizing water filters or water ionizers? I see them sold at a lot of Raw food events. The manufacturer says that it doesn’t remove fluoride, so you have to get an RO filter and then run it through the machine to alkalize the water. There’s water left over that’s acidic, which I guess you’re supposed to use on your hair or something.

I still think spring water is the best, and we currently buy it form the store. I wonder how much plastic leeches in during shipping to the grocery store.

Also, does Daniel only use spring water for drinking, or does he also use it for bathing and rinsing/cooking his food? I guess we could drink spring water, but get a filter for the tap for those other purposes?

17. Veronika says:

I just attended the World Veg Fest in SF where Dr. Joel Furhman was speaking. He was talking about his DHA product that is extracted from micro algae (aka blue green algae, which is actually cyanobacteria).

So it’s a concentrated vegan source of DHA. Have you considered offering this product in your store?

Apparently we can’t eat enough algae to get a significant about of DHA without concentrating the oil (I wondered why we couldn’t just binge on spirulina, but we still wouldn’t get enough DHA and we’d get way to much iron).

So for people who want to stay vegan for ethical reasons, I think your best bet is eating plants with ALA (like Sancha inchi oil) and taking DHA extracted oil.

Kevin, what do you think about Clary Sage SEED oil (not the essential oil)? I was given a fact sheet at the World Veg Fest, and it’s said to have active, stable omega 3 in concentrations over 50%, remains intact at room temperature for 2 years and has Coenzyme Q10, sclareol, and four isomers of vitamin E. They also said the ratio of omega 3 to 6 is 3:1. Can you explain why Sancha Inchi oil is better?

18. Veronika says:

One more thing – sorry for so many questions! =)

I spoke to Dr. Joel Furhman at his table after his talk, and he was convinced that the marine phytoplankton grown on Klamath Lake is toxic and no one should be eating E3Live. Dr. Klaper was standing right next to him nodding his head.

I’m so confused! I know you did a few videos on Klamath Lake a while back that showed them in a positive light. I would think there would be some consistency among the health experts on this subject. Do the E3Live manufacturers people provide toxicity reports?

Next time you talk to Dr. Furhman, can you clear this up and find out why he thinks it’s toxic? Is he just trying to promote his DHA product and say everything else is bad?

He also spent 20 minutes talking about how we shouldn’t be taking any supplements with Folic Acid (i.e. nearly all of the good b12 out there has it) because Folic acid does all this bad stuff to the body. We should only be eating FOLATE directly from food.

Sigh, this is never ending! =)

19. Genevieve says:

Nope, never had wild ginger but will look for it. Thanks. I am also curious about E3Live.

Thanks for your info.

20. Gretchyn says:

Alright! another interesting show! I have seen wild ginger, we gathered some to distribute to a CSA, but i didn’t try any! ohhhhhhhhh….so many varying opinions on everything…….it’s dizzying….Thanks guys!

21. Angelique says:

Cool, never saw that kind before (only the tropical kind ie in Hawaii). Thanks for showing that!

22. john says:

Great interview Kevin with Daniel has a unique perspective . May be the reason their are no societies that adopt a vegan life style is because when Adam and Eve sinned it was from that point in time , man kind went from God’s PERFECT VEGAN designed plan to a dispensation of DEATH and age as God had promised Adam and Eve if they eat of that one tree “Ye shall surely DIE”,decay and rot,mold,fungus,viruses,bacteria, losses of original plant based nutrition and mineral content,decreases in age, worry ,tension ,anger,-a degenerative life style,animals no longer tame,killing of animals for food, animals against animals and man killing animals, Earth cursed, ,wind ,Pestillances. Fire to aid man at night and to cook his meal instead of the all natural moon for light. Man chooses to consume a variety of dead carcasses (dumb flesh which has no fiber) As for vitamin -B12, are you aware it is in BANANAS . And the body requires very little protein which is in a variety of nuts or produce. It is true animals do have especially in their organs high levels of certain nutrients and it is true as Daniel states our bodies and it’s uniquely designed organs (of which man could never come up with much less design,it took a God to make us and design our bodies for this one planet in all the universe with all the life support ELEMENTS on planet earth and in our atmospher and to think of all the birds ,millions of insects and the VARIETY AND DIVERSITY of in the sea and on land and the rest of the planets and stars in the universe ) have the built in ability to store nutrients for varying lengths of prolong time ,just as a baby (not a Fetus) in it’s HOLY sanctuary in the SAFETY,and PROTECTION of it’s Mothers WOMB feeds off it’s mothers biological food or nutrition,as God specifically DESIGNED in HIS creation, for about 9 Months prior to being born. Great interview like to hear from Daniel again.

23. Julia says:

Never saw wild ginger before and glad to learn how it looks, thanks.

I question Daniel’s science. I just took advanced science classes including a year of general chemistry and a year of organic chemistry, as well as a year of biology for science majors, and microbiology, anatomy and physiology, etc.

In one of our enzyme labs we had to discuss our “sources of error”. We were looking at the effects of pH on enzymatic activity, so one of our sources of error was being in a room with so many people in it because we breathe out carbon dioxide and it accumulates in the room. Since our enzyme solution was in water, one of our sources of error was this carbon dioxide we breathe out in the air because carbon dioxide mixes with water to form carbonic acid, which would lower the pH of our solution slightly.

So now I hear Daniel saying he keeps his water all bottled up tightly in special beer bottles to not lose the carbonic acid because he’s afraid the carbonic acid will just float away – it just seems silly to me knowing if you keep a glass of water in a room where there’s people breathing out carbon dioxide it will react with the water and form carbonic acid in the water – carbonic acid is not “leaching out”. So I don’t understand what Daniel is talking about and hope that he would elaborate on the science he is referring to, because based on the science I learned that does not make sense. We’ve also done other labs in other classes where we were starting out with water and were told our water will have a slightly lower pH than 7 because of the reaction of carbon dioxide with water forming carbonic acid in the room, this was just an expectation that we were all aware of because pH is extremely important in chemistry and sciences.

Also, I don’t have access to springs, and bottled waters are out of the question especially here in Phoenix, AZ where I know those bottles are subjected to high heat in transit, so I have a reverse osmosis system. I do not put mineral drops in it or sea salt in it because I have read the mineral assay for both and they both have contaminants I don’t want. I just started putting pure calcium and magnesium drops in my water. I was also thinking of mixing a small amount of coconut water in each gallon of reverse osmosis water. I think that would make for some really good, healthy, balancing drinking water.

I’ve also read a lot of safety concerns regarding well water, so I wouldn’t jump at the idea of just guzzling water from someone’s well. Also, from what Daniel has said, I’m mindful of the “naturalistic fallacy” we learned about in my enviornmental psychology class long ago. I certainly believe in as natural as possible, and have even considered moving out into the country and living off the land, but am also mindful that not all that is natural is better, and the naturalistic fallacy appears to be a type of cognitive shortcut. Arsenic is natural – and in many people’s well water, and is not at all healthy, so sometimes technology is necessary and welcomed. Balance in life is a good thing. 🙂

Cheers, and to our health!

24. June says:

Very interesting interview with Daniel. I have chatted with him about about why he left the vegan lifestyle and I believe he eats raw meats and such. It would be interesting to note some of the concerns with eating raw meats, eggs and dairy. How can we be sure it is “safe” in the world of today? I think Susan S eats some raw eggs and Dr. Mercola too.

25. rod says:

I’m confused, aren’t we supposed be striving to be more alkaline? I prefer distilled water as it leaves a lot of stuff behind.

26. I’ve never seen/had wild ginger before.

Also please show the rest of that interview, what he was talking about was really important (to me atleast). It really bothered me that he was just cut off.

27. jackie says:

I’m with Veronika (#14). This is never ending; when you think you have something figured out, another perspective comes to light and ruins it. Pulling my hair out……

Thank you though, for offering different perspectives. And no, I’ve never tried wild ginger and until your video didn’t know what it looked like.

28. Lorien says:

John, actually evertything on earth was vegetarian until the flood, even the animals. And it was God who told Noah that after the flood he could eat whatever he wanted, everything was now food, but his lifespan was being cut from hundreds of years to around 120. Which was the case until the nation of Israel went under the law at which time their lifespan was cut to around 70 years. It doesn’t say anything about anyone else, at this point the bible is the story of Gods relationship to the nation of Israel. Personally, I have always felt that something else happened along with the flood that altered the lifespan of man. It is a question I have asked God many times. What else did you do? Because you can’t just become a vegetarian and live to be 500. Perhaps David Wolfe is on to something with the calcium thing. Perhaps the waters of the earth were not calcified before the flood.

At any rate, their is always more going on then what shows on the surface. It pays to always have more questions then answers. What you think you know keeps you from discovering deeper truth. It is an automatic filter for anything that comes along that is not in harmony with the already established belief.

Kevin, I think I have seen this plant on my walks here in Vermont, does it grow here? I’d like to locate some before frost gets the leaves if it does. I’ve never had it but one of my interests is wild food. When I was young I wanted to learn about wild food, forgot all about it until recently.

29. Helen says:

Thanks Kevin, I found this interview informative as always. However I lose a little respect for health gurus who talk about how they try and live as healthy as possible and limit the amount of toxins into their body but have tattoos on them as Daniel has on his hands. This is just adding poisons into the body – and he knows it. He might think that body art looks good but as a person that a lot of people look up to for health knowledge I thought this guy would be a little more intellingent and responsible.

30. Arla says:

What concerns do you have about leeching pesticides and chem trails in “natural water”..in spring, artesian…Does anyone else have this concern? Would it be better to distill and add natural supplements?

31. bob says:

I’ve never had wild ginger. I have found it many times, gently dug around it and smelled it and the flower. That’s all.

I’ve never dug and taken this plant and rarely other wild plants. I fear that if people do this, then over time and the seasons, then the wild plant population will suffer and perhaps vanish all together.

Sustainable, earth enriched (see David Wolfe’s rock-dust soil regenerated farming practices) techniques make most sense for stewarding the earth and also when making a commercial business from them. It does not matter how many plants are in a local population. Harvesting from the wild diminishes their strength. I believe we all need to respect this.

Thanks.

32. suzanne says:

Concerning the RV travel w/glass bottles. Maybe you tried this and didn’t have good luck with it, but we bought 5gal. glass bottles (from someone who makes beer and wine), filled them w/filtered water (keep jar in one of those cheap cloth bags one can get at the co-op to make handling less slippery) and then kept it in our wardrobe closet inside a cardboard box. When we wanted water we would just tip jar over and fill our containers. No danger of breaking. Filled them up at water filter machines at co-ops, grocery stores (Culligan), etc. Does add extra weight to the motorhomes gross weight, which should be limited.

33. Mary Artemis says:

There is less than 2% protein in breastmilk, the substance the newborn baby drinks exclusively while doubling growth in the first 12 weeks of life, and than beyond up to 2 years old! Since breast milk is considered the perfect food for that reason, I surmise we don’t need as much protein, and that the Protein “Needs” are surreptitiously shaped by the council name you see on the bottom of the poster ads in the classrooms, like Dairy Council or Meat Council.

If the baby doesn’t need excess protein to double its weight, then neither do we. That’s how I think about it.

Mary from Stamford, CT