Candid Thoughts on the Raw Food Community with Philip McCluskey : The Renegade Health Show Episode #668

Thursday Sep 30 | BY |

This is our final installment with Philip McCluskey…

He also has been traveling around the US (and the world) and has made some observations about the raw food community that I think are important to share.

Your question of the day: What do you fear about your diet?

To check out more information about the Longevity Conference, please click here: http://www.TheLongevityNowConference.com

To read more about Philip McCluskey, please click here: http://www.lovingraw.com

1. Tamikko says:

Thank you so much Kevin for these video’s with Philip. He has been the most inspirational to me because I had found it hard to go 100% raw and felt wrong doing so. I have 120 lbs to lose so I really appreciate every bit of info I can get. I would really love to have a list of his daily eats. I still need to go back and listen to all of his audio’s with Dhrumil.
    My biggest fear is that I will not lose weight first and then probably that I won’t feel right. I have an extremely touchy stomach and I hate the feeling of heavy digestion and the opposite, hunger. I get light headed and feel flighty. I just can’t wait to feel like me again. I’ve been trapped in a really large body for too long and miss just feeling normal. Not having to think about what I’m going to do for food now, what if? It can be exhausting.

2. Wendi says:

I’m afraid my husband and children won’t like my latest raw food creation. I have one child who’d rather starve than eat anything he considers yucky and a husband who if I feed him to many odd things will simply start getting fast food on the way home from work and eat it in the car. This life style would be so much easier to start when your young and single.

3. estheraida says:

Just read a quote by Pema Chodron -“Fear is a natural reaction to moving closer to the truth.”
    I’ve been high raw for 5 yrs now and rarely have felt afraid of what I’m doing diet wise. It just feels right most times. When I have worried I just go with it and expirement to see if eating cooked would still feel okay with me. Not surprisingly most times it doesn’t, so naturally I stay raw.
    Regarding men being too thin on a 100% raw lifestyle. I have a dear Nordic friend that’s been 100 for over 33 years and he’s pretty darn manly to me! I think bone structure has a lot to do with it too.

4. As a college student.
    I am afraid of a potential time in my life when I do not have the means to sustain a healthy life style. At the moment it is difficult but I manage. But I’m not even paying my own rent yet…

5. Ann Marie Huntington says:

I am 95% raw and have been for 10 years. I am 51 yrs old and wish I would have started sooner. I have never felt better in my life. After 10 yrs of research and study I know eating raw and organic is the best diet. I do however eat beans and some steamed veggies. Most of my diet is fruit. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO START eating better and exercising.

6. Ann Marie Huntington says:

P. S., I fear nothing about my diet, only wish more people would jump on the bandwagon for better health

7. RJ says:

My biggest fear is that the knowledge of the human body is not being taught in schools. Of course, we never stop learning…but it would be grand if schools taught children about the basics of life…how to balance a checkbook and how to eat properly…AND the reasons WHY.

Thank you, Kevin, for giving us knowledge. I hope you and Annmarie are well!

Also, I am trying to understand adrenal glands…you speak of them often. I found this site for my continuing education…

and

8. RJ says:

Oops…the link to adrenal glands did not work. Here it is again.

9. This is awesome!

I get swept up in the whole diet craziness – no matter what food you choose to eat someone out there is telling you, “it will make you sick” – even Carrots! I was a little OCD about the whole thing and it’s nice when people bring it back to earth.

I abandoned any sort of diet other then what I wanted to eat, dropped eight pounds and feel a lot less stressed. 🙂

10. Thanks so much, Kevin, for bringing this series to us! I so appreciate Philip’s frankness.

As far as what I fear around my diet… What I sometimes fear is telling people my journey from SAD to vegetarian to vegan to raw vegan to my current all-encompassing locavore diet. There is so much judgement out there. So many people aren’t willing to sit with me and let me explain my rationale. (I guess that’s why my family does the podcast – to try to get that word out.) But how I get over it is by -doing- the podcast, by letting go of shame and guilt over food, by affirming -daily- that I am showing my gratitude to the Universe -through- my choices, and by laughing (the greatest gift! : ).

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    (owner of Rite Chocolate and 1/3 of the Sweet Peas Podcast Team)

11. Sharon says:

I guess my biggest fear is GMO foods creeping into my foods. I’m more afraid of corn than coffee, LOL!

12. josephinesped says:

I fear not having enough iodine. I take a dried bladderwrack seaweed supplement and that gets rid of light-headedness, jumpiness, brain fog–when I can remember to take it. Iodine stops my sugar cravings that can come up, and reduces usrges for meat, too.

Also, I can eat fats all day long, and fat needs a supply of Vit E to keep it from going bad in our bodies. So, Vit E helps when I have been careless.

I do plan to do totally raw for a couple of months each summer while my food trees and garden make it easy to do so and the chickens are still young.

13. Sally Roldan says:

Although I was a vegetarian for a few years it has been at least 12 years since then. I have always eaten roughly 50% of my diet raw but mostly because I enjoyed fruits and vegetables. Now I am trying to be more health conscious and starting over.
    My biggest fear is throwing my body/nutrition off balance, the funny thing is that it already is and that’s why I’m adding more raw foods in the first place. Go figure!

14. KAREN BEATTIE says:

HAVING ALL THE WONDERFUL FRESH AIR, WATER, FOOD, EXERCISE; FOR BODY,MIND AND SPIRIT FOR THE BEST HEALTH EVER!BEING THANKFUL! FEAR WITH THE CHANGES IN OUR ECOSYSTEM OF LIFE IS A BIG FACTOR! LETS MAKE A MODERN PEMICAN BAR FOR SURVIVAL WITH ALL THE SUPERFOODS AND STORES WELL; THEN ONE ONLY NEEDS WATER AND AIR! LOVE AND PEACE!

15. Gretchyn says:

I love philip! So honest and open and I agree with so much he has to say! It’s nice to know! I did feel guilt for a while, because i thought everyone was easily staying 100 percent raw, and i wasn’t. Now i just feel grateful for all the wonderful foods i do eat!
    …my fear about my diet? hmmmmm….that being a vegetarian is unhealthy…there’s been a lot of talk amongst my friends and in the health community in general that it’s unhealthy to be veggie! So many friends i know are turning back to meat..but i follow my intuition and the way my body feels and i feel great! Thanks for another wonderful show…ya’ll are fantastic!

16. Angelique says:

I am afraid of binges. I still have an occasional binge. Nothing too crazy (not burgers or anything!), but still I recognize that I feel like I can’t stop myself in those moments and that thought is a bit scary to me.

17. Jasmine says:

This video and the message Phillip is voicing is soooo refreshing! In fact, it’s so refreshing I had to listen to it 6 times!

I suppose what I fear is that by eating some of the cooked foods I’ll be losing out on the benefits I could be receiving by replacing them with raw foods. A raw carrot verses a cooked carrot or raw salad versus cooked quinoa and cooked veggies.

I’m going through a healing period right now so it’s hard to tell if what I’m doing (adding in a lot more cooked foods and grains) is making me feel better or not, but i DO know that high raw was definitely not working for me at the end of two years.

I know I can return to my high raw diet at anytime when I’ve healed.

Thank you for the best video ever.

18. Thank you everyone for your kind words. Your positive feedback has always been my greatest support. : )

19. Paul from Oz says:

My greatest fear is losing too much weight and getting too thin. I am 50 y.o. and used to consider my weight of 91kg (200lbs) to be good and normal. Now I am about 160lb and I want to be heavier (btw I am 6’5″ tall).
    Unfortunately this leads to bingeing as I let myself overeat to avoid this.
    So I really want to listen to my body more and I’m dealing with unhealthy habits or additions one by one – hot chips I don’t do much now, and avoiding cooked peanuts which i find addictive. I also have ongoing issues with cacao or 85%+ chocolate. Yes I’m not completely raw vegan. I would oscillate between 70 – 90% raw, and vegan except for a serve of fish and / or eggs say twice a month.
    I would also nurse and sip a token glass of wine at social occasions.

Thanks Philip for your story and honesty, I have learned so much from these interviews. And thanks Kevin for all of your shows which I always look forward to, you have been an important part of my healing journey from Rheumatoid Arthritis.

20. Angie Leigh says:

I am afraid I will relapse with Bulimia, I had an eating disorder for years and learning to eat foods that nourish my body helped me to combat bulimia. I am not eating 100% raw and never intended to However I eat very high raw and have come along way from my days of having an eating disorder. I am scared to relapse more than anything in my life because bulimia ruined me and hurt so much!

Angie Leigh

21. tessa nisbet says:

greatest fear is not regaining normal weight – i’m mostly raw vegetarian not vegan as i get fresh raw milk locally & make kefir and milk shakes… but recently experimented with aajonus vonderplanitz’s ideas eating raw animal foods – eggs and cheese are fine but meat and fish has lost its appeal tho i used to eat it regularly – now i am questioning the whole picture – how to listen to my own body….and put it all into perspective with life….so listening to philip’s journey is refreshing as are your shows more and more now you are branching away from the strict raw vegan regime….i see a holistic dr. regularly who believes in the paleolithic diet but is highly supportive and informative about any material i present – i check out great having recovered from a long struggle with parasites which caused major weight loss and after regaining half back i have been at a standstill for many months…there are no speakers out there giving their experience on how to gain weight healthily! everyone is concerned about losing it…i live in a hot climate and have no desire for cooked foods this time of year…sprouted grains yes but how else to put pounds back on….any helthy insights into that would be highly appreciated!

22. Rae says:

Genetic engineering, the weakening of standards as far as what can be called “organic,” the provisions of the Codex Alimentarius in general and irradiation in particular, soil contamination from chemtrails, the loss of fertile land to urban sprawl and animal food production, the desertification and salinization of places like California’s San Joaquin (Central) Valley, the ever-increasing use of pesticides and herbicides worldwide, the impact of global warming on farming, the politics that subsidizes corn and soybeans to ensure the affordability of the SAD, the honeybee hive collapse disorder, and all of the concomitant environmental threats of the above. First and foremost, though, is the preference of most people for a meat- and fish-centered diet such that even domestic dogs, cats, and horses are eaten as well as whales and dolphins. In Cyrprus small song birds are being wiped out to feed the appetites of the pampered rich, and of course many animals are sacrificed to perverse folk medicine traditions.

23. Brynda Bechtold says:

I hate to admit it, but I fear MONSANTO.

24. Veronika says:

I fear not getting the right nutrients by going 100% raw, so I’m very careful about rotating my veggies and getting variety. I’m trying it out now, so we’ll see how I feel after 30 days. But I understand blood tests are the best way to go.

Question: Did you find out what the driver is in the B12 patch? I’d really like to know what makes it effective, since b12 is too large a chemical to be absorbed through the skin on its own.

Thanks!

25. Jo says:

I loved Phillip’s comments on enjoying life and having a good time! I have really enjoyed incorporating raw food in my diet, but I still eat cooked foods. No meat, chicken or fish. Feel great and lost weight. Minimal dairy and bread products…that works for me!

26. Henrik says:

Gretchyn: Yeah, I’ve been thinking about that a lot the past year or so. I’ve been a vegetarian for 12 year now, and a vegan on and off for perhaps 6 of them.
    I became a vegetarian out of pure intuition. It just didn’t feel right to eat meat, and I still feel that way. I just don’t consider it food anymore and find it strange that people actually desire it.

However, I have always thought that the whole thing about meat being so unhealthy was false. I’ve never used that as an argument for vegetarianism and I’ve argued against people when they brought it up.

I’ve never thought or felt that NOT eating meat was unhealthy though. And it bothers me a bit that so many people are saying it these days.
    I mean, I feel really great being on a 95% raw vegan diet. But would I feel THAT much better if I added meat to it? I wouldn’t know, and I’m not tempted to try. I could perhaps add some eggs and raw goats cheese, but I can’t imagine eating red meat again.
    I’ve always thought that people were brainwashed into eating meat. But perhaps I’m the one who’s brainwashed?

Oh well. As long as I feel healthy it shouldn’t matter if I’m “wrong” or “right”. If I hit the wall for some reason I will deal with it then.

27. Henrik says:

Kevin! I’ve asked this question a long time ago. I got a few answers from other viewers but I’d really like to get your opinion as well.

I’m wondering how well we actually assimilate the nutrients in whole chia seeds? Other gelling seeds like flax and psyllium are not digested at all when eaten whole. How is chia different? Do I need to ground my chia seeds before eating them?
    I hope I’ve not just been using them as an expensive fiber supplement.

28. vitamin b12 says:

Great interveiw. Like Kevin, this guy talks a heap of common sense. So many people are boxed in by their beliefs that it’s really sad. Life is for living. Have a beer once in a while if you want, and enjoy yourself. Don’t try to be too perfect.

29. Angie Smith says:

I’m not necessarily afraid of my diet, but I do sometimes have a hard time with change. I just yesterday received pretty specific diet & lifestyle recommendations from my very intuitive holistic energy worker – things he said will really help speed my process of healing – and at first there was a little fear of change & wondering how I would be able to stop eating certain things that I’m used to, but then I opened up to the idea of freedom & joy coming from improving my health, and it feels great to think about going shopping for some new ingredients & to leave others alone. I think that once I establish a routine, I am fine with whatever food is there. It also helps that I’m good at creating recipes and improvising in the kitchen. 🙂

30. Angie Smith says:

I guess I’m afraid of being too restricted. To combat this, I think I will look at/focus on all the wonderfully delicious and nourishing foods available to me in this new plan, and I will shop today to fill my fridge with good stuff so that I won’t be thinking about the things I need to cut down or out of my diet.

31. Cheryl Holt says:

I loved what Philip shared! Thank you Philip you are wonderful & so spot on!

I fear I will not get any fresh Durian within the next month. : )

I think the fact that I have been blessed with the opportunity to be part of this amazing community with such talented teachers I have nothing to fear about my diet.
    I have the opportunity to seek the truth with so many options to help create health within my body that I feel very blessed.

As always really great show Kevin & Annmarie!!
    Love, Light & Peace,
    Cheryl Holt
    Cilantro Cacao

32. Tiff says:

for the fear I gotta agree with #23, same here.

I don’t doubt Philip (I’m a huge fan), and he’s the one that actually has met these people, but I can think of four off the top of my head that for sure can’t be lying about being 100% for over 5 yrs…Matt Monarch, Gabriel Cousens, David Wolfe, Alissa Cohen… there has to be several more than that too…

33. Julie says:

I am afraid that I will never lose this excess 50#. Raw did not work for me and I had SUCH high hopes. I am afraid of the health risks this weight represents. I am afraid of my sugar addiction. However, learning lots…change comes slow. Phillip’s success is an inspiration!

34. Chris G says:

I’m afraid of two things with my diet:
    1) Inadvertently eating some form of animal products
    2) As per the latest RHS which discussed veganism not being sustainable long term, that discovering this isolated cases are not the fault of the individual and instead of something inadequate physiologically, and therefore NEEDING to eat animal products of some form…

35. Karen says:

Great honest interview. Thank you!

36. nick says:

fear itself; But foodwise GMO’s when I eat out @ a party or resturaunt.