Philip McCluskey Speaks on the Transition Back to Some Cooked Food : The Renegade Health Show Episode #666

Tuesday Sep 28 | BY |

Here’s part 2 of my interview with Philip McCluskey, who’s lost over 200 pounds on the raw food diet…

In this episode, we’ll talk about how Philip reintroduced cooked foods into his diet and why.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: How did you introduce cooked foods back into your diet? (And if not, why not?)

To check out more information about the Longevity Conference, please click here: http://www.TheLongevityNowConference.com

To read more about Philip McCluskey, please click here: http://www.lovingraw.com

1. tessa nisbet says:

just once in a while i get the urge for some vegetables i don’t care to eat raw – i will steam and toss with a little umeboshi vinegar and ghee – and/or make a miso broth to pour over …. i still prefer mostly raw but have added some raw animal foods mainly to get the animal fats to be more grounded with my vata disposition which increases with age….

2. Adriana says:

…what a great, logical way to look at life in general and at the weight issues in particular. I like Phillip and it’s bein a real inspiration to me.
    I am on a juice fast right now and I can’t think of what’s goint to happen when I will add a little cooked grains, but I find it quite immposible to avoid cooked all together for the rest of my life.
    As long as we want to have a little more grounding food in our diet…
    Hey, I never kept being completely raw for more that 8 months per year any way. I’m not a raw fanatic. (sorry, but that’s how I feel)

3. Jasmine says:

He is SOoooooo CUTE.

I have introduced cooked food back into my diet b/c I am on B.E.D. I just started by expirmenting with grains – quinoa, amaranth, millet, buckwheat, steamed veggies, and some potatoes.

At first my body had a hard time digesting the grains, but slowly i guess I built up the digestive fire i need to be able to digest it properly (also combing with cultured vegetables and coconut water kefir has helped tremendously). I’ve also noticed that combining fats with grains does not work well with my system right now so I try to avoid using too much oil or any other type of fat when I eat grains.

4. bored says:

show 666 BORING!!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH HAD TO CHANGE IT….

5. Rikki M says:

new to this , was doing green smoothies for breakfast, and cooked food rest of the day, now its smoothies for breakfast, veg juice for lunch with peace of fruit , and cooked dinner, rice and curry with glass of wine is the hardest to give up 🙁

6. Sheryl says:

I am a fruitarian 90% and raw. I tried briefly steamed veggies & millet, rice and I felt so much struggle and Inharmony in my body. A lowering of my Vibratory action of my body. Confusion of the mind. I think the salt had alot to do with the negative feeling since I did not have salt in my diet for a very long time. So I went back 100% raw and clarity came instantly to my mind more energy a greater Spiritual connection for me.

7. Basia says:

I never have been 100% raw, just high raw, but I find if I can do high raw best if I include cooked sprouted quinoa or lentils, sweet potatoes, or steamed veggies I couldn’t handle raw, like broccolini/broccoli.

8. Kim Smith says:

I went 100% raw in 2003 along with my husband. He went backed to cooked food after 3 years & I did after 3 1/2 years. I’ve been vegan since 1991 & all organic since 2000…that will never change. I just felt like I was doing to many nuts & seeds because I missed cooked beans. I’m still high raw, but I add cooked beans to my salads. I also will have steamed veggies if I want something warmer. I still prepare everything from scratch & stay away from processed foods.

9. Denise R. says:

I started 100% raw in January of last year. I live in NY and have Raynaud’s Disease and was living in an apartment with poor heating. I became too thin and spacey in my brain and was wearing several layers at all times. In the winter, I just love me some steamed broccoli and a baked yam for dinner. I got really off track for a while when I got sick (I ate some ‘bad’ raw chili which gave me a digestive bacterial infection- bread was the only thing to calm the acidic stomach), and now am trying to get back to optimum health with 80% raw (eating some cooked food for dinner). I am finding that, like when I started to do raw foods in January, I am ravenous and am eating constantly. But it is great to be back.

I don’t know what I’d do without the Renegade Health Show! You are my moral support team from afar!

10. Denise R. says:

And I agree, he is super cute.

11. Kim says:

That guy has a good head on his shoulders. Lord knows I’ve struggled in coming to my place of moderation, with frenzy.

12. sunshine says:

definitely added cooked foods back in -i now have chronic yang deficiency from eating raw foods during winter – i have a long way to go to get my body back to where it was bf raw foods. raw foods is nice for cleansing but not for everyone. starting to feel much better adding cooked healthy foods in my diet including some organic bison which is great. when i went raw i lost all muscle tone and became soft and yes i was doing resistance training also. muscle tone is coming back along w/warmth to the body.

13. amalhator says:

I’ve been restricting meat for at least 2 years and never had much success in terms of energy levels and mood. I thought I was following it incorrectly but it really shouldn’t be too difficult. I felt deprived most of the time and even summer evenings felt chilly with shorts and t-shirts.

I now eat free range meat everyday like NT diet (mixed) and feel much better and warmer. The main reason for quitting is because of Weston Price’s discovery of how traditional diets prevent tooth decay without dental hygiene and I still developed a few small cavities. Eating too much food not designed for your NT can speed aging and make you very sick.

We need fat soluble vitamins and a balance of acidic minerals. Without them, you cannot utilize minerals from greens no matter how much. There is no “one size fits all diet.” Hopefully it will prevent future cavities.

My advice is to try reintroducing the meat you crave (it may even be red meat) but ideally grass fed if a vegan diet does not work and your goal is to optimal health.

14. Veronika says:

I’m going raw for 30 days for the first time ever. I started 7 days ago. I’ve been high raw (80%) for almost a year now, but I’ve been wanting to do a cleanse for so long.

I always feel better the more raw I eat. But I think in the long term I’ll end up including some healthy cooked food like quinoa, amaranth, steam beans and veggies. I think going 100% for a while will help me determine exactly what my body wants.

I have so much energy now, and I recover a lot faster after exercising. These past few days I can’t sleep as much because I have so much energy (I used to need 8-9 hrs).

15. The timing of this show is incredible!! Have been doing raw for over three/maybe even close to fours years.
    I started out transitioning into raw in New york which was great and healed my body issues at the time,I was then living in LA for a couple of years and found it easy to be raw because of the climate.However earlier this year(around the spring time) I had really bad gastritis I lost alot of weight and no longer could deal with alot of fat,especially things heavier things such as nuts,avocado and coconut.Since coming back to New York in June I noticed I was losing weight again(people I had not seen in a while were looking a little shocked!) .Another thing was even heavier greens which I used to have in my juices such as kale/collards would give me digestive issues.I started to find the only fats which were working were hemp seeds,flax and olive oil.Just recently my digestion has been weak and I felt like I was becoming defficient(suspecting anemia/possibly b12) due to the fact my digestive fire is probably not strong enough.I was having cravings and always seeming hungry.I realize that people in this life style can get sucked into what other people are saying without really listening to themselves,what is one persons path may not be someone elses.I knew that I had to experiment a bit to get back into balance,I probably went a little over board and ate too much but tonight I added in some steamed broccoli and quinoa into my salad.Im open to trying what ever brings my body back into balance.I think we all agree that a raw food diet for a certain amount of time is extremely cleansing and healing for the body.It has helped so may people heal from serious health challenges ,after that time we move beyond the healing phase and see what our body needs.Once in balance just to go back to eat food in its natural state and see what works for that persons individual path is best.I think that everything has a ying/yang side to it ,just as much as its great to have an interest in health if what you are eating is taking over your whole life is that balanced or nourishing? so somethings that is good for us can also have its flip side.Its really all about be in balance and at peace with our selves and that is more than about just what we are putting into our bodies.When we start getting caught up in listening to others ideals we are really not listening to ourselves.If your all raw and you feel great and at peace then keep doing it,if you are noticing struggles or issues be open to making changes or being more flexible so that you can find what is right for you.Im not sure if my experiment will be temporary or a transition,Ill let my own wisdom guide me to what is the best path for me

16. vitamin b12 says:

Another interesting video. I’ve never been 100% raw because I don’t think raw foods work to well for me. I need cooked foods to maintain a decent weight. I have never been overweight in my entire life, so my main problem is not letting myself get too thin.

17. Susan Bessette says:

I am still trying to control the diarrhea which started during my 30 day raw challenge in June. (Turns out cabbage is my nemesis.)
    I returned to cooked vegan and try adding more and more raw dishes. Currently my tolerance is about 50% raw.
    My goal is to return to high raw, where I was vibrant and energetic. Then I might have the courage to try all raw, to regain the glow.
    But not yet. First I must solve the leaky butt.

18. eyla says:

Dear Susan, comment no 18,

We all have to do what feels right for us, and you are right to listen to your body,

It might be interesting to bear in mind the fact that sometimes diarrhea can be a cleansing reaction, as raw foods can be a dramatically cleansing diet, this could have been what was happening?

and also cabbage is notorious for dissolving build ups of nasty stuff in the intestines.
    You might benefit from a course of colon cleansing, a good herbalist, colonic hydrotherapist or naturopath could help you out if you felt that might be an option for you.

19. Carol says:

He comes across as a really nice guy who has worked not only on his outside but his inside. I like his style, honesty and balance.

Love that you guys bring us the world!

20. Caleb says:

I’m so glad to see another well known raw foodist talk about eating cooked. Hopefully this will help to kill the elitist raw food mindset. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having cooked foods in a “raw food” diet. I also feel it’s necessarily from a social standpoint. I had some friends that were 100% raw food vegan, but they ended up transitioning to cooked because they realized they were missing out on invites for dinner because nobody knew how to cater to their diet.

21. felicity says:

the question that keeps haunting me is ‘how does raw make sense in terms of eating locally?’ a diet that relies on many tropical foods can not be sustainable environmentally, certainly in the northeast of the unites states — where i live. does everyone need to move to california or ecuador? how can that make sense?

22. Janell says:

I love his open and transparent sharing about his journey. When I first embarked upon my raw vegan journey I was emotionally ready and just went 100% raw – can’t explain or make sense of my statement. The first 1 1/2 was strictly 100% raw. After that, stress eating habits have returned and I have had an on and off period of eating cooked stuff and junk food too.

In hindsight for me, I think it was too soon to be nibbling on stuff (and not just because of the bloating and some weight returning) because I still hadn’t resolved why I was overweight in the first place – the reason being that I stress eat to/used to stress eat I should say.

I think at this point in the my journey, year 4 I recognize that 100% raw vegan or high raw at the least is best for me because I cannot deny the health benefits and energy, it’s my living proof and every time I get into a period of nibbling on old favorites like crackers or bread or candy the bloating, icky feelings and the massive drop in energy occurs so at least for me, a raw vegan body is what’s best for my body at this particular period of the journey

23. Chris says:

I’m vegan for 26 years.. and high raw for about 6 years. The only time I will eat cooked food is on the rare occasions I go out to a restaurant to join friends for dinner.. if I have a salad (most places around me don’t offer raw foods) and its not quite enough for me, I’ll order a plain baked potatoe, or maybe hummus.. and a cup of tea.. That’s my line in the sand.

I’ve reversed premature aging and the disease process eating a high raw diet and have no need to revisit that old way of eating.

24. Jo says:

After listening to Philip I’m still not sure what made him re-introduce cooked foods into his diet. I was very interested to find that out as I remember many of his previous clips and interviews, in which he advocated a 100 percent raw food lifestyle as the ultimate healthy way to go. Other than that, I think Philip is an impressive, eloquent guy. Sad to say though, he aged quite a bit… I noticed that on more than one raw food / health food gurus/advocates/experts. Maybe all this over experiencing with food is not so healthy after all?

25. Angie Smith says:

After four years of a raw lifestyle, I added in grass-fed beef first (I was sick and weak and started craving it like crazy after eating all raw and having had no meat for well over a year, and very limited amounts before that). It was one thing I could eat immediately that felt as good to my body as eating raw. Butter, eggs & cultured dairy were added in shortly afterward. Cooked starches didn’t digest well, but I added some of those for a while by default because I was on a month-long vacation with limited access to raw foods.

26. Gene says:

I’m still trying to eat as raw as possible.
    Because I do believe – “Live Food, Live Body … Dead Food, Dead Body”.

27. Kristine says:

I am high raw and follow Natalia Rose’s program. And at the suggest of Gil Jacobs I am just finishing a 3 day juice fast and will have a colonic tonight. So I am feeling very grateful.

28. Dianne says:

FANTASTIC interview Kevin. 🙂

I’ve never heard Philip speak, but I relate to him so well.

I was 100% raw for 9 months, which helped heal my body and I’ll always have fond memories of what it did for me.

But I KNEW in my gut that it wasn’t for me. So I started with cooked pseudograins – like Philip did – and I started to feel much better.

It’s a journey and I really enjoyed hearing Philip describe his.

Thank you again for such a wonderful interview,

Dianne

29. Patty says:

I just recently added some cooked foods to my diet – steamed veggies – soups. Philip is right – “the body knows how to heal itself when we get out of its way”

30. Julia says:

Very interesting. I just discovered something about vegetarianism/veganism. Kevin, what do you think about copper imbalance in vegetarians/vegans? Have you done much research on this? I just started learning about it because I have Graves disease and copper imbalance is said to play a role. Since I’ve started changing my lifestyle I have been reversing my Graves disease slowly. Now I’m learning about copper and mineral imbalances and discovered copper imbalance is extremely common in vegetarians/vegans. Here’s a link for some more info: http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

31. I have a dream says:

I wonder what excuse the first man would have had for his (addictive) cravings…

“A raw food diet is good for cleansing but I’ll stop it as soon as someone discovers fire”

“Man, despite this fanatic raw food movement, I don’t seem to run fast enough on raw vegetables, that lion almost got me”

“Gee, if I only had some fire…I’d definitely experiment with some quinoa or steamed vegetables”

“Cooked food is the way to go, since my Qi’s not flowing right otherwise”

“Man, u have to admit, after reading the scriptures, those goat’s teets look delicious”

“How great cacao, algae, maca, noni, goji, shiitake, rejuvelac, kombucha and kefir are all available in this same region! that’s gonna solve my b12 issue for sure”

“Darn, where will I get my daily smoothie and crazy crackers? no transition for me, I guess”

“I’d love to stay on a 100% rfv diet but unfortunately I’m a kapha on nt doing b.e.d. Can’t wait to try the paleo diet, though”.

Any similarity to actual persons, (on a) living or dead (diet), is purely coincidental.

32. josephinesped says:

I am the blood type O, natural meat-eater. Since i do like raw red meat, with plenty of garlic to stop bacteria, I cooked up some chicken. I like chicken very well cooked at a low temperature–like my Mom used to cook a turkey or two each year. i put it into 1/3 cup servings in the freezer and used the drippings for a bean dish of some sort.
    I was not 100% raw very long–just most of one Summer.

33. I don’t think it is as simple as saying raw vs cooked. Or to hold “cooked foods” in such a lower standard just because these vegetable have been “cooked”.
    There are a lot of “raw” foods like gourmet, dry prepared stuff that is awful for the body, yet a simple lightly steamed veggie dish would be more nourishing or more easily digestable.
    also consider:
    This topic is really so hugely vast. This is why it is healthy for not only the mind but the spirit and physical body to just eat natural unprocessed foods as best as we can. If this means just eating a label “raw”, then by all means…GREAT!. If the natural foods are steamed, cooked, raw..how ever you like it. Grown here, over there, in season and fully ripened on the tree/vine. instead of in a cardboard box.
    Then upgrade from there. little steps towards what feels really great in your own body.

I already eat a huge amount of truely wild greens every morning with whole oranges as a smoothie. After the birth of my son I introduced some cooked quinoa, an occational gluten free amazing cookie and steamed vegetables (in season and local of course) and the key for me was to remove things like Nut gut pate and cashew agave pecan-macnut pie or crazy store purchased produce (typically not picked fresh and fully ripe which delivers more nutrients).
    I think that the “cooked foods” I mentioned above are far better thing for my body than the gourmet nutty gutty cuisine. I eat less food in general now and I can digest my meals nicely.
    Every Body is in fact different and will thrive on slightly different foods once the honey moon of “all raw” has run it’s amazing much needed cleansing course. This can be 1 year, or 12 years.
    What an amazing journey it is! We are so blessed!

Cooked food is poison? I don’t buy that whole comment now days. I think there are many other “foods” out there that can and are worse even if they say “raw”.