How to Make an Herbal Hydrosol for Your Skin or a Room Freshener : The Renegade Health Show Episode #662

Wednesday Sep 22, 2010 | BY |

In this episode, Annmarie brings us into the kitchen to make a hydrosol…

She’ll explain what that is in the show if you don’t know what it is!

Hydrosols are great for your skin as well as for room fresheners. This rosemary hydrosol that Ann is making is also great for your hair.

Your question of the day: Have you ever made a hydrosol before?

It’s Annmarie Skin Care’s 1 Year Anniversary! Be sure to read this letter from Annmarie and get some awesome deals… please click here: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2010/09/21/a-special-announcement-from-annmarie/

1. heather says:

you can do rose petals in a similar way, but just using the sun, and no water. You need a large stainless steel bowl, a smaller bowl that fits inside – not too snugly – this can be anything except plastic, and a sheet of glass that fits over the large bowl. You can weight this down with a rock.

Cram fresh rose petals into smaller bowl, put this into the larger bowl, place the sheet of glass on top and put it out into the sun.

The water in the petals evaporates, and slowly runs down into the large bowl. As you can imagine you don’t get a large amount of rose ‘essense’, but it is really strong. (not sure if this is essential oil, but its like an oily liquid – and very very rosey!)

I’v done this with other delicate petals as well – jasmine, calendula etc.

I found I needed to play around a bit on toming as this depends on the strength of the sun. You might want to leave it out a couple of days, or you might want to put it in some shade as well if its really very very hot.

BTW – the petals will turn brown and mushy – this is fine as thats not the bit you want!

2. Myra says:

Hey Kevin and Annmarie great idea however, for some reason the you tube stops in several places so it was hard to follow. I still do not understand the use of the icecubes and why the glass lid does not crack. Can you use a lid other than glass? Peace M.

3. Linda says:

Wow, this is amazing. I will try it this weekend. Tahnks for a great show, once again.

4. Courtney says:

This is lovely and very cool. Thank you, Annemarie! It’s always fun to see you on the show :)

5. Cindy says:

No, but that’s really neat!! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for show! :D

6. Courtney says:

Btw, it would be nice if Kevin interrupted Annemarie less often and let her do her thing :) Don’t worry, love you too, Kev, just nice to let Annemarie shine, too :)

Btw, Annemarie, you look great without bangs! :)

7. Roberta says:

…adicted to corn, in some form: chips, fresh on the cob or off[preferably raw], frozen[thawed, not cooked], and mixed in with any beans,especially Black Beans[my favorite.]I also love the more completely nourished feeling I have after eating a meal that included Green Beans. I believe both corn and green beans have nutrients that my body needs and may be low in because of type 1 diabetes, which I’ve known about since my early 20′s. I’m now 71 and in pretty good shape by “normal” standards. In the case of green beans, I think it has magnesium and zinc. Corn seems often to complete the food combination for “complete” protien. I also love fresh peaches on multigrain toast with raw cashew butter or the raw cashews themselves. Blueberries, raspberries,red grapes and ripe apricots…Ummmmm! [I have to limit my fresh fruit intake or spend the day running to the bathroom!.] It tastes so good. Thank you for your enthusiasm for healthy and raw foods. GOD Bless you with a Great Inflowing of His DIVINE LOVE. Roberta

8. Jan Zbynski says:

Very interesting show.
    Would be nice if Annemarie could do more shows like this one.
    Never made one before. Did not even know what one was even though I use one of Annemarie’s products that is a hydrosol.

9. Gen says:

That looks like fun, AnneMarie. Thanks so much. You are a special lady, very generous, gentle and kind.

10. Jen says:

Beautiful presentation Annemarie – you glow! and I am eager to try creating my own hydrosol at home! Using rose petals sound nice too, the possibilities are endless!

11. Marybeth says:

Thanks Annmarie! I have been meaning to try this at home but wasn’t entirely sure I knew what to do. Now I understand and can’t wait to try it!

12. Wendi says:

I’ve never made one but very excited to try this. Looks like it would make a great gift for friends and family. I so enjoy these vidios. Watching them helps keep me on track one day at a time. Thank you so much!

13. Michael says:

That’s awesome! I didn’t know what a hydrosol is. I can’t wait to try this! Now I’m going to research more about it. It might help my complexion and eczema using the right herbs. I think lavender might be good to try. Thank you!

14. Velda says:

Thanks, Annmarie. I grow rosemary in my front yard. Think I will try this – never have done it before. BTW, Kev, I think you ask good questions and make good points while Annmarie is demonstrating. Questions that I often have, but can’t ask. :) Don’t think you “interrupt too much”. You guys keep up the good work.

15. Nicolette says:

Loved the video, wanted to make lavender water (hydrosol) to spray on linens I am ironing. This sounds like a great way to do this. Thank you for the informative video.

16. john says:

I never made a hydrosol. But I sincerely am very much interested and liked very much your excellent demonstration on how to make a hydrosol .This is I believe a vital need in a survival situation as well as sharing how one can be independent and do it on ones own. Excellent program again really enjoyed.Thank you AnnMarie and Kevin Gianni.

17. Nicole says:

really enjoyed this one!! Very neat and cant wait to try it out. Thank You!

18. Diana (Ohio) says:

Wow, I have made a lot of things before in my life, but I have never made hydrosol, never even heard of it. Thank you for introducing me to this awesome gift from nature.

You guys NEVER get old, boring or stuck in a rut, keep up the great work!!

19. I love that you shared this with us. I have heard of distilled rose water since I live in Bulgaria and pure rose oil/water is the #1 export, but I always wondered how they do it – now I know, thanks! I look forward to finding some things I’d like to make hydrosols out of. And I want to try that neroli one you make!

20. Gretchyn says:

thanks very much! i’ve never made one before. I loved seeing ann marie do her own show..love your calm energy and wisdom!

21. Karen says:

This is totally new to me – I’ll have to try it. Thanks!

22. Janet says:

thanks AnnMarie, and also thanks Heather for sharing your recipe above.

23. christina says:

I loved this post- but Kevin, please zoom out or move the camera less often from her face to the pot, your filming just about gave me motion sickness

24. sarah beth says:

yay annmarie doing a show almost solo! you guys are so cute together though :)

25. RJ says:

Great information! I do LOVE your Neroli Spray! It is so very calming! I’ll be purchasing some again very soon.

26. Eve says:

This looks GREAT!

Any chance you’ll do a follow-up show telling which hydrosols are good for what sort of things?

Also, can lemon & orange hydrosols be made from lemon & orange peels, or should you use the whole cut-up fruit?

Thanks for another great show!

And again, thanks for the awesome Bodyweight Exercise book! My body is totally changing and I love it!

27. Janell says:

I LOVE this show – I’ve never seen a demonstration video before. Also, ditto to what Eve said – I’d love to see some suggestions for uses with other herbs, flowers and whether lemon peels and things like that are appropriate. Now I’m going to research some more. I can’t wait to do this. HOORAY!

28. Jana says:

I didn’t know about hydrosols until this show, and I’d love to try it. I love the fragrance of rosemary and know several gardeners who could supply me with ingredient. I also want to know if citrus peel would make good hydrosol.

29. John says:

I have been watching your videos for quite some time and I must say that this has been the best one yet. I haven’t made a hydrosol but thought about it after visiting a buddy of mine who’s doing balsam fir, and black spruce hydrosols. His rigout was a little more complicated so I’ll use your method so as not to incur any cost other than that of the raw material.
    I know you’re selling the same stuff on your website and to show people how to make it themselves is really something else. You guys are gold! Thanks a lot.
    Not sure what kind I’ll make. Taiwan has lots of exotic plants so I have tons of options. Some research has to be done first.
    Take care.

30. Donna in Portland says:

That was very interesting. Thanks for doing this Annmarie!
    Donna

31. Mark Brend says:

Hi,
    Your affiliate page keep rejecting my email address.
    It has been doing this for months!!!!!!
    Please sort
    Thanks

32. Sita says:

Such a nice start of the show Annmarie. – And I agree with Courtney, no.4 of the comments here….
    btw to order, it would be nice if using Paypal would be possible. Maybe more international orders would be placed?
    Best wishes, great work again!

33. Dee says:

No, but I will definitely try this. Thanks for the instructions. I use a lavender hydrosol made by a company that makes lavender essential oil, and I love it.

34. Leam says:

I had just been thinking of how to make an all natural room spray and here it is – I’m going to try this today! Growing in the garden is rosemary, mint, lemon verbena, lemon grass, stevia, Meyer lemons and many other plants with delicious aromas. Maybe it’s better to use one herb at a time, but I may play around with a few that complement each other. I make flax seed gel for my hair and think this would be nice addition. I appreciated knowing that rosemary has preservative properties. Thanks for this demonstration as well as for the idea for rose hydrosol from Heather’s comment. Her description of simply using the sun makes sense; hydro-water sol-sun.

35. Leam says:

I couldn’t wait to try this so at this moment I have simmering together lemon verbena, rosemary, lemon grass and pineapple sage. The aroma is lemony, uplifting and invigorating. Thanks again – I’m going to enjoy making more distillates in the future!

36. josephinesped says:

Thanks, and thanks to Heather, too. I have burned dry herb on a hot burner before, and also boiled things like cinnamon or sage–both help reduce food cravings.

37. Natalie says:

Thank you- I’m going to try this.

38. Jennifer says:

Love this! Do the herbs need to be fresh or will dried herbs work just as well?

39. Jacquie says:

Wonderful, wonderful show! I’ve never made one but have rosemary, lemon balm, lavendar, etc. growing in my “yarden”, so I’m going to have a blast now! ;-) Thanks for such a great show and for sharing, Annmarie. You both are so wonderful and generous and much loved. <3

40. Jill says:

I made lavender and rose hydrosols many years ago, but I’d forgotten how to do it. Thanks for the refresher!!!

41. Dianne says:

Thanks Annmarie!!!

Now I understand your neroli spray – which is my FAV too. :)

I saw a Shaman a while back, who recommended a “cedar bath”. I boiled the cedar in water and poured it in my bath water, but now I’m thinking I can create a “cedar” hydrosol so I can have a cedar bath at anytime.

Thank you for the EDUCATION. Love this site!

Dianne

42. Nadia says:

Thank you so much for this video. I know you are selling a similar product and it is so heartwarming that you are sharing with us how we can make this at home. ‘Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.’ hmmm maybe need to revise that quote to something like, Give a man a bottle of hydrosol and he enjoys for a week, give him a recipe and he enjoys for a lifetime. Thanks Guys, love to you both.

43. herbie says:

Just wanted to say this is very interesting. I did want to mention that you can’t make ESSENTIAL OIL (like what you’d buy from aura cacia or the likes) from this method. Because rosemary is an aromatic herb with lots of vital constituents it will definitely make a great hydrosol. The distillation process for essential oils is much more complicated :)