Dr. Joel Fuhrman on Raw Food Challenges and Raising Vegan Children : The Renegade Health Show Episode #661

Tuesday Sep 21 | BY |

This is the final installment of my interview with Dr. Joel Fuhrman…

We’ve had a lot of favorable response to this, so I’m thrilled to bring you Dr. Fuhrman’s thoughts on raising vegan children and raw food challenges that some people face.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite dog?

If you’d like to learn more about Dr. Joel Fuhrman, please click here: http://www.drfuhrman.com

1. Sandy says:

I like lots of different kinds. We have a golden retriever right now. He has attachment disorder from what we assume was a traumatized childhood, so he won’t let us out of his sight.

2. Basia says:

Love all dogs. Great interview series. Intelligent information everyone can think about and ‘digest’.

3. Elmer J. Fudd says:

I love my Beagle! He turned 14 on August 23rd:-)

4. Tandi says:

Cavalier King Charles is my favorite.

5. jaclyn says:

Thank you very much for posting these very interesting & informative interviews with Dr. Fuhrman!
    I’m personally partial to dachshunds and pitbulls myself 🙂

6. sharon says:

I’m really enjoying these interviews with Dr. Fuhrman. He is so down-to-earth. I’m getting tired of these radical nutritional gurus that have rigid, extreme ideas about diet and harmfully throw out facts in support of “their way” that are dubious.

I like any kind of dog that has not been bred for profit and sold to people. There are so many homeless mixed-breed dogs in shelters that have no hope if people continue to buy their dogs from a breeder. However, If somebody wants/needs a full-bred dog, they can adopt one from shelters for these dogs that have been abandoned and rescued.

7. Diana (Ohio) says:

Great interview Kevin.

My favorite dog would have to be a mutt.

Everywhere I turn lately everyone is talking of the hazzards of a vegetarian diet and I kind of worry now if we can remain healthy without eating animals. We raised animals for food for a bit, but it got to the point where I could not take a life for the food on my plate, (I think there would be more vegetarians in the world if everyone had to butcher their own animals). So am I now destined for sickness and disease? I really do not think I could bring myself to eating flesh ever again, so now what should I do?

QUESTION
    Have you heard of Scott and Helen Nearing? Both were vegetarians, eating simple, mostly homegrown or local produce as much in season as possible. They were not raw foodist, but they did enjoy lots of raw food.

Scott lived to be 100, and Helen lived to 91. Both were healthy and vibrant to their last days.

They stuck to their belief of balancing diet, manual labor, “bread” labor(that which produced an income) enjoyment and community. Facinating people to study up on. Maybe balance in ones life is the key to being healthy?

They left their homestead as a center where people can visit to learn the ins and outs of gardening and other things, it’s called GOOD LIFE CENTER AT FOREST FARM in Maine, next to Elliot Coleman of 4 SEASONS GARDENING. I think Elliot has a hand in keeping Scott and Helens vision alive.

If you are ever in the area maybe you could do a show or 2 from there, and if he will permit, maybe visit Elliot for an interview too!

Kevin, looks like you have a following of non-humans too!! 🙂 🙂

Thanks for the very educational interview.

8. Maia says:

One that is potty trained! We just got a dog from a shelter two weeks ago. He was very fearful and had not lived in a house so he has learned a great deal already. Now he is a very happy dog but he likes to poop on the walkway to the gate instead of the nice place we made for him. I guess that is better than the accidents in the house! Only a few of those. So much for all of us to learn. It is a joy to see how happy he has become. Lots of tail wagging and kisses.

Maia

9. Janet says:

German Shepherd by far! Next would be a Maltese.

10. greg says:

Kevin, When are you guys coming through Albuquerque again? Would love to meet y’all

11. Kris says:

This series with Dr. Furhman has been great-thanks very much. I love all dogs, especially big, fluffies like Newfoundlands and Great Pyrenees, and misunderstood pitbulls.

12. John says:

I love my rescued Greyhound! She’s about the sweetest dog I’ve ever known. I have been around a lot of them and all Greyhounds seem to be very gentle and loving dogs.

13. Mary says:

I think the Golden Lab, since they seem to be used a lot for leader dogs for the blind. They have such a sweet temperament and loving smile! My son has a wolf-shepherd cross…he adores my granddaughter!

14. Melissa says:

Yorkie Terrier

15. Rae says:

Cocker spaniel and Shih Tzu.
    On a related note about junk food, a TV show called “Freaky Eaters” profiled a 20-year-old girl who had been drinking 30 cans of regular cola a day and eating cookies and other sweets with it. She was actually slender and had a clear complexion, but the intervention team sent in to help her get over her addiction ran tests that showed she was prediabetic. Still, she couldn’t give up the soda despite the efforts of a nutritionist to guide her. She had been abusing soda and sweets since she was four.
    Another episode of this show was about a young man who had been eating huge quantities of raw meat for six years. His tests showed that he had a parasite and he was convinced to start cooking the meat, even though at first he wasn’t afraid of succumbing to E coli, which the team proved was coating some raw hamburger in his refrigerator. Aside from his preference for the tenderness of the raw meat, he was feeding his addiction to the much greater quantities of adrenalin from the slaughtered animals than are present in cooked meat.

16. I love all dogs.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY:
    I am so so stoked about this,
    I found out today that my school provides an on campus nutritionist that I am free to visit as much as I want simply because I pay tuition here!! AND getting blood tests here is just as easy!!
    Just goes to show, all you have to do is ask.
    EEE!!
    -Zoe

17. K says:

Mastiff. My mastiff is my big friendly giant and a big baby and a sweetheart. He’s the best!

18. Dogs rescued from the shelter are by far the most awesome companions in the world. My dogs are Amber, a Carolina Dog, and Eric Wesley, a Golden Retriever/Chow Chow mix with brown and blue swirly eyes. You can never quite tell where he’s looking. 🙂

Carolina Dogs, also known as American Dingos, are primitive dogs native to the lowland cypress swamps of the Southern U.S. I had never heard of them until I adopted Amber, who had been beaten and left for dead with a litter of pups in an ice storm. I only intended to foster her for the shelter where I volunteered, but she became so attached to me it was clear that we were meant to be a team. She is THE most amazing, loving, loyal, smart dog I’ve ever known, and I’ve known many.

Please don’t buy, while shelter dogs die.

19. rfk says:

While you are talking wiht Dr. Fuhrman it woul be interesting to hear his perspective on blood tests.

The link below says that testing for B12 in blood may not be enough as there can be deficiencies in the central nervous system when blood tests show adequate levels. Thanks

20. john says:

Excellent interview Kevin with Dr. Fuhrman . Any dog that will not back down in a very threatfull and pain full battle, against all odds, a courageous protective and very Highly Jealous heart for All his family (pack) members .With a very Pronounced desire to bite very hard with 90-100% intensity shaking head to and fro .The ALPHA MALE. Any size dog . For me German Shepherd to me it is not the best dog in anything but the 2nd best in every thing . Pit bulls are excellent . And any big dogs for big “JOBS’ that are combat seasoned are are great also.Dogs are far more efficient than the best civilian alarm system. And they are so UTILITARIAN .

21. Andrea says:

Big dogs – any kind, preferably strays that choose to live with you. Downside is that when they get old or injured, they’re hard to carry!

22. a says:

Uh oh Cheeseman park has a reputation. Watch your back Kevin! Hahaha. Are you giving any talks in the Denver area while you’re hanging out? I’d come check it out. Cheers! My favorite dogs are dogs own by someone else who has to pick up their poop at the park. Otherwise any dog that is a bundle of non-stop unconditional love.

23. Gretchyn says:

Hi There! I just want to thank you for this series with dr.F! They have been so enlightening! I’m partial to all dogs! my fave was a crazy golden lab bloudhound mix…so cool!

24. Brenda says:

I don’t have a dog. I have always liked beagles. I hike in a dog park regularly and see all kinds of cute furry friends. 🙂

25. Sarah Love says:

First, I just wanted thank you for this wonderful series w/ Dr, Fuhrman. I am raising my special needs daughter as a vegan and I was so happy to see the Dr. address the topic of vegan children. My almost 3 year old daughter was born with a variety of congential anomalies, two of which being scoliosis and hip dysplasia. She wore a brace for her hips, until she began walking late last year, and another for her back. Yesterday we had a visit @ Shriner’s Hospital in N. Cali and her orthopaedist reported that both ‘defects’ have resolved to the point where she will no longer have to wear her braces and may never have to have surgery! It was previously thought that she would have to have hip surgery @ 3 and be in a back brace until 7. How blessed are we! My point is that I fully believe that feeding her a clean, green diet has helped her to heal. That abstaining from chemical laden (animal) products and eating a diet consisting of beautiful energy has allowed this amazing healing to occur.

Secondly, my fav dog is a Chocolate Lab (gotta get that chocolate from somewhere!).

Thanks again; keep up the fab work!

26. Unfortunately I have a bit of a phobia about dogs and many dogs seem to pick up on this. I was bitten a few times by dogs as a child as well. So small dogs are best, because they are less of a threat. LOL.

27. Joe says:

Climate is the starting factor. Only local food is sustainable by nature (body and soil).

Temperate: greens, sprouts, low-glycemic fruit

Tropical: fruits (mostly high-glycemic)

We should live in the climate where grow our favorite food.

Love you… all dogs!

🙂

28. Cathy says:

I love beagles. I’m on my third now. My previous beagle lived till he was 16. Thanks for the interview with Dr. Fuhrman. I’ve followed his Eat to Live diet for years and it helped me lose 160 pounds. Lately I’ve been transitioning to a higher raw version. Interesting info on the importance of raw food enzymes unrelated to digestion.

29. Karen says:

I love all dogs, but my favourite has to be the Bedlington Terrier. They look just like little sheep, and love to curl up on your lap. So cute!

30. Dee says:

This was such a great series. Thank you.

Favorite dog, my brother’s dog, Teddy, a morky.

31. Chris G says:

My favourite dog is Whisk. Breeds are irrelevant to me and constructs created by humans for human benefits.

I don’t know about the fructarian thing. I know many frugivores who are very strong and healthy.

32. Ellen says:

My dads King Charles Cavalier Spaniel

33. Dana says:

I have a miniature Schnauzer, his name is Chester. He is the best dog I’ve ever owned. He is so smart and affectionate.

Thank you for the interviews with Dr. Fuhrman. I work for Whole Foods Market. We have partnered with Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat Right America program. We use his nutritional index on signs in our store indicating the nutritional density of different foods. We call our program “Health Starts Here”. I am so excited to be part of a company that is making an effort to educate American’s on healthy eating. I am just now applying to be the “Healthy Eating specialist” in our store, wish me luck. I know I have a calling to help others find their way to health and wellness like I have. I am so thankful for Kevin, Annmarie and people like Dr. Fuhrman who care about helping others like myself.

Blessings to all!

34. PE says:

Bagels are said to be good– those are beagles pronounced by people who think Ronald Reagan should be pronounced Raygun.
    So said Donald Regan, who was really Ronald Reagan double-dipping, but that’s another doggie tale.
    Who loves the taste of bagels? Beagles?

35. Tonja says:

My dogs are my favorite dogs! 🙂

Dogs from the shelter or rescue groups are definitely the best!

36. Kristen says:

Afghan Hounds, I have 7 of them 🙂

37. Jan says:

My two dogs are my favorite.

Chance is a shepherd chow mix and he does a wonderful job guarding my house and farm.

Frankie is my mini dachshund who almost died from a vaccine reaction.

38. Russ (Rawdad) says:

Thanks Kevin for posting. I really like Dr. Fuhrman – of all the “gurus” he makes the most sense. He knows its all about the nutrients and understands the science behind it.

We were obsessed with 100% raw a bit ago – but realized the kids were not getting enough vegs in the diet.

We now have a cooked dinner each night – plenty of vegs – some potatoes or yams – very seldom rice or quinoa….

The kids get their raw greens in green smoothies mostly… but they will eat them plain at times…

Much appreciated… Russ.

39. nancy says:

i have had all kinds
    and my favorite is definitely labrador!

40. Shannon says:

We love our new puppy that we picked up from a local shelter. She is very white and fluffy and she doesn’t shed, so we assume she is some kind of poodle mix. There were 5 of them in the litter that were dumped in a box at the end of a road. The shelter vet tech called them a group of mop heads:-) They are all adorable and they all have the most awesome temperment, which is great because my kids lug her all over the place.