Dr. Joel Fuhrman Talks on the Dangers of Sea Salt : The Renegade Health Show Episode #659

Friday Sep 17 | BY |

I know I talked about this a few months ago, but I’m going to let an MD who has some serious experience with this back me up…

In this episode, Dr. Joel Fuhrman talks on the dangers of sea salt, particularly for vegans and raw foodies. There’s an increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke that has been documented.

Whether you believe this or not, it’s worth checking out and passing along to your friends who eat salt every day.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite river?

If you’d like to learn more about Dr. Joel Fuhrman, please click here: http://www.drfuhrman.com

1. Elmer J. Fudd says:

Mississippi!

Hey Kev, I think I eat much like you do. Just got a blood test and my triglycerides were 227…what the heck??

2. zion says:

Good info and the Nile River

3. Interesitng that he said sea salt causes stomach cancer. This week I heard that China has the highest rate of stomach cancer…yet they eat kimche. I was wondering if there was a corrolation. hmmmm

4. heather says:

My favourite river is the one that flows at the bottom of my garden – with our earthing rod in it!

5. ray cattaneo says:

Hey Kevin,

My wife had a spectracell allergy test done and came up allergic to whey, wheat gluten, eggs, cranberries, and corn. However she was not allergic to oats, spelt, etc which also contain gluten. I’ve read online many people getting different results each time they take allergy tests. How accurate are these tests in your opinion and what do you think the best allergy test is?

6. julie roddy says:

I have not used any form of salt for a few months and i am so glad i did that after hearing this interview!!!
    thanks for the great info!!!
    JULIE RODDY

7. lm says:

Interesting info on salt, thanks for sharing….

re: Elmer Fudd (cute name! 🙂 )

I resonate w/ the high triglycerides, and am learning that this is a common problem with vegans b/c we don’t always produce enough DHA and EPA to convert our triglycerides to the hormones we need (esp w/ age.) So, if low energy, moodiness, sleeplessness, weight gain, muscle mass loss, low libido sound familiar – you may want to supplement w/ some good dha/epa. The catch w/ the flax oil is that u may not be converting what you need (same story w/ beta carotene to A in vegans). I’ve found that the fish oils are great – but they are also hi in PCBs and PCVs and heavey metals (how nice, right? but at least they don’t charge you for the extras….) BUT!!! I DID find a source for vegan ULTRA pure omega 3 and dha/epa. Testing it now and if it’s good, it will be on our site soon. Check it out. (N of course I’ll post later… can’t keep the good stuff 2 urself, right?) 🙂
    Have a happy day!

8. PE says:

The river of life? There’s a tale I tell of a seeker after truth who asked many wise men about the meaning of life, and at last a very wise man said, “Seeker, if you wish to know the meaning of life, no one here can tell you. But on the highest of those icy mountains there” (this was before global warming) “lives the wisest of us all. The journey is as hard as all your journeys thus far, and you may not make it, but if the gods are gracious and you survive, your questions will be answered.”
    So the man set off– it was a man, of course, women being more practical except in time of war or an election year.
    After many trials and much suffering, on the highest glacier he spied a figure sitting (in a lotus position) just above the ice, and said, “Master, I come from afar striving to reach you and ask this vital question: What is the meaning of life?”
    The luminous figure slowly tore its gaze from the horizon and said, “Yes, my child, I alone can answer your question. Life… is a river.”
    The seeker, stunned, flew into a rage and said, “I came here through torments I cannot recall without a sinking stomach, and you tell me…a cliche?!”

Now at this point, depending on the audience, there can be 3 replies from the wisest one.
    “You mean it’s not?” or
    “All right, life is not a river.” or
    “How about a tree?”

About salt, yes, because it’s less common in nature, kidneys evolved to keep it safe. Then comes propaganda about salt licks (other animals, too, get cravings) and tales of low sodium, which Dr Fuhrman handled nicely.
    And suddenly humans have their expensive, imported salt licks, when a little celery would do. Bon appetit!

9. Tamara says:

My sister lives near the Uncompahgre River. I got to tube down part of it. It was a blast!

Kevin, do you think that the people that are advocating eating meat are eating superfoods like maca, hempseeds, goji berries, spirulina, etc? I just feel that there are plenty of superfoods available to us these days that are really high in digestible protein that it seems silly to go to meat? What are your thoughts on this?

10. Debby says:

The Mighty Columbia River. Great to live by it!

11. Ed says:

Hi Kev,the Manatee river 3 blocks from me calms me,gives me exercise, and feeds me. What more can I ask of a river? Dr Joel raised more questions than gave answers in this segment.The lipid profile was founded on cherrie picked data and then bent further out of wack by our statin selling friends.The only populations found to have the sup-200 numbers now pushed our way as prudent are prison populations.(check withour health ranger)Sea salt verses refined table salt is a no brainer, but sea salt has its limits,but it’s threat to low blood lipids isn’t neccessarily the problem. Dr Sherry Rogers’ book “The High Blood Pressure Hoax!” has a closer to the cause approach than Dr Joels just accepting 90% of people over 60 need hypertensive meds that don,t work half the time and fill in your cause of death as congestive heart failure for the family.The doctor that casually informed me about the small print on the label saying it wasn’t intended for prolonged use at Dad’s funeral.Thats’ when I bought the book. Be careful out there.

12. lisa says:

yea, but… this just came across my Science Daily news feed the same time i saw yours:

Consumption of ‘Good Salt’ Can Reduce Population Blood Pressure Levels, Research Finds

13. Salmon River State Forest in Colchester, Ct. Has a covered bridge, fishing, hiking, picniking,
    drinkable water from the mountains.It’s really pristine and my favorite place. The water’s always refreshing and good. It’s on the way to Middletown the back way from Colchester, Ct.,
    Rt. 16.

14. The Columbia River is the most important one to me in the big picture but for fun only I would choose the Deschutes river in Central Oregon

15. Chris G. says:

First off, I am new to your show and I love it. As a vegan for nearly 4 years now, I have until the last year or so been what some may term a “junk food vegan”. I have recently tried to commit myself to better overall fitness and health and this is how I came to view your show.

My favourite river would probably have to be the St. John river simply because I live right above it.

16. Hi there,Kevin!

Now I am 58y and stopped eating rice 10yrs back and I take roti in the breakfast and fruits for lunch and then for nite may be a wheat porridge.
    I am regularly conducting meetings in India and spreading the message of natural living. I am a disciple of a sincere true leader Mr Ramakrishnan who lived purely and only on natural uncooked food and mainly his food was coconut and bananas. He preferred and advocated only those two and gave it to those cancer, leprozy patients and got them cured right in front of my eyes, decades back.
    COMING to SALT- I looked at this way when I was 25yrs under my master’s guidance.
    The whole earth and mountains contain huge deposits of salt. The rain washes them down to the sea so that the sea became salty.
    Mother earth never wanted salt to stay on the earth because it would spoil theliving creatures on it. Why would man go after that dirty washed out toxin, and getthem back into his system. Because of lack of proper brain!
    No other reason. I ALWAYS LOOK AT BIO AND GET THE RIGHT ANSWERS. Hence salt will naturally bring disaster to the human body and the earth.
    But sweet can be compromised -salt is satanic taste, it cannot be substituted!
    I found radishes having soidum chloride naturally. But others were nil. Lemon can be used in its place.
    Onewho over comes the use of salt is a great person indeed. I have done avoiding of cooked food mostly to avoid salt.
    But while on fasting, my legs cramp andpain and I had to drink salt water to get it all back to normalcy from the painful event.
    Why body requires salt, to stop cramp??
    Any answers. Is it due to habituation.?

– D PARAMESWARAN,TROPICAL TAMILNADU,INDIA

Regarding

17. Joel Fuhrman is brilliant and I totally agree with him on the salt issue and I need to stop the salt.

I’m a salt addict. In the last several years I’ve quit smoking, quit meat, dairy, and eggs, quit wheat, quit caffeine, quit chocolate, etc … none of those were really that much of a problem. Salt? It’s a huge problem. It’s really, really hard to stop.

18. Anita says:

My favorite river is the Titabawasee River in Michigan, where I spent my summers as a child. (We always chuckled when we pronouced the name! I am far away now from that river and am not even sure I have spelled it correctly- but you get the idea anyway.

19. I live right next to the Kawkawlin River, but it’s not my favorite. Locally, I like the Chippewa River or the Au Sable River.

20. Velda says:

Lisa, thanks for the website. I’m not sure I totally agree with Doctor F. The evidence about salt causing high blood pressure has been cherrie picked and distorted. I knew a researcher one time that told me there has never been an actualy link between salt and high blood pressure. With that being said, I believe that the normal table salt is really bad. It is not just a matter of “adding a few menerals” to sea salt as Dr. F states – it is a matter of normal table salt being so stripped of nutrients and bad additives and chemicals being added to it that makes it so very bad. So if you must salt, sea salt or kosher salt is better. Admitedly, moderation is usually better. Thanks, Kev, for being so informative and give a format for disucssion.

21. Thomas says:

The Illinois River (& Rogue River) through the Siskiyous.

found this about sodium in celery:

“Celery has a reputation among some persons as being a high-sodium vegetable. There are approximately 100 milligrams of sodium in a full cup of chopped celery – that’s about 2 stalk’s worth. The U.S. FDA’s Daily Value for sodium intake is 2,400 milligrams, the equivalent of about 24 cups, or 48 stalks of celery. Two stalks of celery only provide about 4% of the sodium DV.”

22. Nick says:

I like swimming in rivers, so my faves are them that aren’t to big/swift nor too small for swimming. I feel so much better after such a swim, or taken in the ocean. Feels like it gives me a far deeper cleanse than, say, taking a shower, or even a bath.

On the salt issue I’d still like reconciled salt intake vis-a-vis hydration levels. And the fact that saline solution is given IV’ly in hospitals for rehydrating. Then doesn’t the trace mineral profile of sea salt match that of our blood & bones? And isn’t some level of salinity needed to strike an isotonic balance between intercellular & intracellular fluids? Or is all this neatly taken care of organically by living as a nutritarian? (first time I’ve written that word out)

23. Jonathan says:

Himalayan salt can be good for your health. It can help regulate blood pressure, water retention, and it has lots of trace minerals. It is a very pure salt. I think used in moderation it can enhance your health. Sea salt is different. It is obtained from sea water (as opposed to a salt mine), which is more than likely heated (unless the salt is sun-dried), processed, etc. This could be not-so-good for your health. But pure, unrefined salt from a salt mine I think can be good for you in moderation.

24. Kelly Martin says:

The book “Salt Your Way to Health” by David Brownstein presents the other side of this story and is worth a read if anyone is concerned about sea salt. I found it very interesting and helpful. And we love you site Kev..thanks.
    Kelly

25. db says:

Thank you for Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s information on salt. I like his comment salt is salt.

I was thinking Himalayan salt could be used in higher quantities because of all those minerals. Oh well.

Can’t say I have a favorite river, since I have not seen that many. Although when I see a beautiful one…that is my favorite at the time.

26. Deirdre says:

I thought your headline was really misleading. It implied that *sea salt* is the contributor to hemmorrhagic stroke, whereas in fact it’s salt in general that’s the problem, and sea salt is no worse than regular salt.

27. Veronika says:

Response to #9 Lisa:

That article you linked to is referring to POTASSIUM as the “good salt” – it’s not talking about sea salt or Himalayan. Both the article and Dr Furhman point out that SODIUM causes health imbalances. Sodium is the main component of table, sea, and Himalayan salt.

The article states that you can get “good salt” (i.e. potassium) by eating more fruits and vegetables. It’s possible to also purchase mineral salt that is potassium based, but I don’t know much about the safety of that. It’s probably better to just eat more veggies. =)

28. Joe says:

Since 3000 BC, salt was only to preserve food and to eliminate seasonality for Romans/Mediterranean temperate winters.

Agriculture’s soil&food are now minerals-deficient, poor in nutrition&taste.

Love you… all!

:o)

29. Lorraine says:

My favorite moving water is Oak Creek here in Sedona, AZ. Lots of places to swim, picnic, camp, hike, fish, and even go to Slide Rock State Park.

I was raised by parents who liberally splashed salt on every single thing they ate. My father still does that and he’s almost 90! Today, I use my own “last bite” rule to keep salt intake down: No salt, and then the last bite, anything goes! The last bite used to be the one I’d remember, but now I remember every bite as being delicious. I had sauteed tofu with olive oil and sesame seeds for lunch with a bit of roasted garlic powder and no salt. Then a bowl of green beans with nothing at all on them. They tasted plenty salty for my taste.

30. Tom LoGiudice says:

Dr? Fuhrman, Give me a break. I’m so sick of so called ex-spurts like Fuhrman who think they know something. I’ve been a vegan mostly raw for 40 years and I like and use salt and know it’s an important part of my diet.(mined RealSalt) My mother who is 87 has been using salt all her life and is still driving, going to the gym and enjoying life. I know many healthy people who use salt and know many people who died early of heart disease who were on salt restricted diets. Be careful of people like Fuhrman they will influence whomever they can because they crave power and get off on being authorities. mined Real Salt is good for you in healthy moderation.

31. Sharon says:

I have fallen in love with just about every river I’ve ever seen. One of my faves was in Quebec. Not sure of the name of it but it had some magical stones and amazing energy. We washed our clothes, cooled our beer and bathed in it (back in the old days, LOL). Now my favorite is the one closest to home.

There’s a lot of evidence that’s quite positive for using Himalaya salt brine. It will help to detoxify the body if used correctly. It’s not so salty tasting either. It’s used by naturopaths in Europe. Americans tend to think quite differently & also do their studies differently.

I don’t know the sodium content but if materials in nature are kept whole and not stripped down they are much different than any processed materials, like table salt or even sea salt.

I think the rule of thumb can be if you are thirsty then you’ve had too much salt. Himalaya salt never makes me thirsty but other salts do, including sea salt. I’ve got low blood pressure so I’ll venture to say that maybe salt is actually beneficial for people like me. I don’t really ever crave it though; I just add a bit of brine to my foods.

32. Thomas says:

For all of you enamored with Himalayan salt:

“Himalayan salt is a marketing term for rock salt from Pakistan, which began being sold by various companies in Europe, North America, and Australia in the early 21st century. It is mined in the Khewra Salt Mines, the second largest salt mine in the world, located in Khewra, Jhelum District, Punjab, Pakistan, about 300 km from the Himalayas.”

33. Thomas says:

P.S.
    If it was called “Pakistani salt” it wouldn’t sell for such outrageous prices.

34. Thomas says:

P.S.S.

“Rock salts mined in several parts of the world, including Hawaii, Utah, Bolivia, the Murray-Darling basin of Australia, Peru, and Poland are marketed as Himalayan salt or pink salt. The color results from iron oxide.”

35. hyesun says:

the ohio! haha, not really. i’m not sure……haven’t been to many rivers. maybe the han river in korea.

i completely disagree with dr. fuhrman on this one. i think salt (sodium) is necessary, at least for me. for the past 4 years, my blood sodium level has been low. historically, i never craved salt or salty foods. it was always sweet sugary things that i craved. so i didn’t eat or use that much salt. btw, i have low blood pressure too. now, i have to make a conscious effort to include salt in my diet, because if i don’t think about it, i just won’t eat any salt. so i intentionally use himalayan salt on my food. even then i probably don’t get enough salt. we’ll see what my next blood tests say.

36. Rosi says:

I second the Columbia River!!
    especially the Columbia River Gorge, which is one of the most beautiful places on earth. And at the coast, the mouth of the Columbia, where the river meets the Pacific Ocean. Breathtaking!

37. Ineke says:

Another great show Kevin. I like Dr. Fuhrman very much. His approach is basically what I do. I had never heard of the term “nutritarian” though. With regards to the salt I know that the Hippocrates Institute has a similar approach. You can get sodium also from sea veggies such as dulse etc. I do use celtic sea salt but the amount is so small that I do not worry about it at all. I look forward to the next 2 shows with him.

38. Kathryn says:

I have heard conflicting information about salt in general – Himalayan Salt containing Radon which is suppose to be “Bad” and Aajonus Vonderplanitz (primal diet guru) has said that salt is poisonous.

39. john says:

Excellent video. and great Questions Kevin and Ann Marie another Great Job.

40. Sheilah says:

How about miso in soups, etc…???

41. Michael says:

Very interesting! I wish you had asked him about adrenal fatigue issues as it has been said people w/ adrenal fatigue need more salt and generally have low blood pressure.

I thought it was interesting what he said about people who have had low blood pressure all their lives and took in a lot of salt became hypertensive when they got older. My mother has hypertension, my father’s BP is normal to low, and I’m hypotensive w/ adrenal fatigue and crave lots of salt.

The iron oxide in himalayan salts makes me question the safety of using them too much because I’ve read large amounts of iron have been found to cause cancer.

I know that potasium and sodium act antagonistically, so when one goes up the other goes down. Perhaps that’s why that link above about “the good salt” being potasium talks about potasium positively, because sometimes patients w/ high sodium are given high potasium diets to help lower the sodium in this way. (I didn’t actually follow the link, though).

Favorite river? I’m in Arizona and not near any rivers unfortunately, but I’ve been canoeing in many rivers in Michigan for a canoeing class I took in college there and it was fun, but I don’t recall the name of the rivers. It’s nice being around rivers.

42. KAREN BEATTIE says:

I LOVED THE SACRAMENTO RIVER IN MOUNT SHASTA, ROARING FORK RIVER IN ASPEN COLORADO AND MOUNT ASPIRING IN NEW ZEALAND,ALSO FORT BRAGG IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WHERE THE SALMON SWIM UP TO SPAWN AND DIE. WATER HAS MANY WONDERFUL NATURAL BEAUTIFUL SOURCES TO ENJOY AND IMPRINT OUR SOULS FOR LIFE!

43. Lauren says:

Definitely the mighty Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I was blessed enough to be a guide and cook and researcher there for 10 glorious years. If you ever get to go to the Grand and take a river trip, visit the Hopi salt mines down by the Little Colorado River! Very sacred place to the Hopis.

44. Adam says:

I’m still not sold on the no salt idea. Dr Batmanghelidj has pointed out plenty of studies and research that show otherwise. Maybe you could interview someone on the other side of the fence like him? One sides stories are never the whole picture, but rather someones perspective with them focusing on all they can to enhance that perspective.

45. Indalsälven Åre / Östersund Jämtland North of Sweden
    It is beautyful with waterfalls and lakes and fish and crysalclean water. In the winter it is largely frosen and makes wonderful sceneries We drink the water and we swim in in in the summer.

46. Dee says:

Favorite River: Denial. Surprised no one said it! Can’t help it.

47. Alison says:

The Blackstone River!

48. Jan says:

He said salt is salt but I have found that I can use much less salt by using pink Himalayan crystal salt. I purchased a one lb package about two years ago and still have more than half of it. Maybe because I use so little my taste buds pickup on the taste of salt easier. Anyway using this salt made it easier for me to use less and now I use very little of it.

49. Thomas says:

This site explains the different types of tests for sodium (blood & urine) and what they signify. It also shows normal standards for sodium levels.

50. Carol says:

I use reverse osmosis for my water and was told to “re-mineralize” it by putting in a pinch of salt. What do you think of the de-mineralized reverse osmosis (my daughter won’t drink it saying that it tastes “dead”) and how can it best be re-mineralized?

Truth be told, I feel like my teeth are become translucent and I am concerned that it is because I’m drinking this water.

51. Cay Snow says:

Hi Kevin,

I’m wondering if you have ever had the chance to read the book, “Your Body’s Many Cries For Water” by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. He has a very different opinion on the use of sea salt (recommending a small amount, about 1/2 teaspoon of unprocessed sea salt for every 10 glasses of water consumed). I would love to hear an interview with him so that the argument AGAIN sea salt by Furhman can be more rounded out.

Thanks!
    Cay

52. Jana says:

I just tried to listen to the interview again but keep getting an error. Did Dr Furhman really say salt is salt is salt and refined salt is no different than unrefined? Sorry, don’t believe that for a half a second. Refined salt is heated, bleached and stripped of all the naturally occurring minerals. The anticaking agents used in refined salts are derived from aluminum.

I know these interviews are too short to possibly cover all the important points, but even a brief mention of what counts as ‘too much’ would be nice. Kev, I hope you interview someone with a different viewpoint on salt. I think your audience is not like the average person we encounter at the grocery store. I cringe every time I see what others are buying at the store to feed themselves. Clearly, Furhman’s derisive comments about salt apply to today’s ‘average’ consumer. On the other hand, to say salt has the same level of benefit as heroin (i.e., none), well, he just put himself on my ‘don’t bother to read’ list.

53. Dave says:

So if you take pure unrefined daytura is it any better for you than daytura that has been processed and treated? Poison is poison. Salt is salt..

54. suzette says:

So I started looking at a few other videos by this Doc Fuhrman. He seems pretty knowledgeable, but DUDE he’s still eating SOY?? He’s making soy milk ice cream! Maybe this was an old video, and he knows better now? Let’s hope!

55. Dee says:

Thanks for the info on grains, very helpful.

56. Kristine says:

Thanks once again for a good interview. I would be interested to know what he thinks about the salt content in sea vegetables. Should we be severely limiting our consumption of that too?

57. Kuru says:

There are too many intelligent people recommending salt for me to be convinced so easily. And like Jana said, salt is salt is salt is just not true. We need some conversation from the other side, please.

58. Alicia says:

So …..among all salts,,,,wich is the best one ?if there is one…