Is Aloe Juice OK to Drink? : The Renegade Health Show Episode #648

Thursday Sep 2 | BY |

Today, I answer a host of questions on raw foods, health and supplements…

I explain if aloe juice is OK to drink, how to get your vitamin D levels up, how to deal with muscle cramps and more.

Check it out and be sure to watch to end for the extra bonus quiz we have for you. (It’s fun!)

Your question of the day: Have you ever tried aloe juice? When was the last time you had aloe?

1. RJ says:

Will the real Johnny5 please stand up? This reminds me of an old TV show. I’ll have to risk it all and say, Cat #1

Sorry if I’m wrong, Johnny5…

2. Carrie says:

thank-you for the wonderful information. I have a bottle of aloe juice that i got a couple of years ago as a mis-ship from a health thing i was a part of and never opened it. I wasn’t really sure what it was for but it is probably too late for it to be effective now anyway. thoughts anyone?

by the way kevin, i love, love, love your hair! my hair is natural curls too but nowhere near that nice….wanna trade?…LOL! ;o)

3. Angie Smith says:

Several years ago, I had a friend with severe colon problems who survived in part by drinking aloe juice all the time. She used the bottled stuff because she didn’t have access to the fresh stuff. I tried it back then, but it didn’t seem to do much for me. Now I have an aloe vera plant at home, and I eat the inside of a leaf from time to time. I didn’t know about a blood sugar connection – I need all the help I can get in that area, so I’m excited to eat it more often & see what might happen!

4. Jolie says:

Cat number 2?
    Don’t cut your hair Kevin!
    I drank bottled aloe vera juice once
    this past year but they had added too much
    sugar to it …ick.

5. Jolie says:

P.S. I’m fasting right now and I read that leg cramps can be from detoxing.

6. Jana says:

Cat number 3 is my guess. 🙂

I tried drinking aloe vera juice in november 07. It gave me a queasy stomach and constipation, even though it’s supposed to have a laxative effect for most people.

I remember finding lots of conflicting information at the time about it. Seems like the websites who touted it as beneficial were also the same sites that were selling it. Sites like sloan kettering and mayo didn’t have favorable things to say. Par for the course I suppose. I think it was sloan kettering which said aloe vera juice has a blood thinning effect which can cause excessive bleeding during surgery. I don’t know if this is correct or not, but just in case it is correct, I’d sure encourage anyone heading for surgery to back off the aloe vera juice. Not worth finding out the hard way.

7. taylor says:

Cat #3 looks familiar…

I use aloe vera in my smoothies, cut out a chunk and throw it in, I couldn’t imagine eating it plain, it’s awfully bitter.

8. Julie says:

Cat number 3 is Johnny 5!

Years ago (1995-ish) I used to buy and drink bottled aloe vera juice in amber glass bottles. I haven’t bought or grown any in a LONG time. Back then I thought it tasted like industrial strength cleaner.

I’m open to the idea of fresh aloe vera juice nowadays, but on the spectrum of my health priorities and new healthy habits, it ranks pretty low.

9. Jo Crozier says:

My guess would be cat #3.
    And I drank aloe a few years ago – but then as we got more into our health, and we read what was actually in the juice – we gave it up – additives. YUCK. Why do they do that?

10. kristhiana says:

All are so cute! Hmmm. I’ll go with cat #3, too. What are the other kitties names?

As for aloe, I have LOTS in my back yard and I cut some off, wash it, and add it to the green drink in the Vita Mix. Yummy. It has helped me with my tummy and digestion significantly. I’ve always wondered if you are supposed to peel it, but found it too hard to do that. So, in it all goes.

I also open leaves and smear the insides on my face for a great facial.

11. kristhiana says:

Oops. Forgot to answer that I use the aloe green drink every day pretty much. Had one today.

12. Sophia says:

How do you make fresh aloe juice using the actually plant- can you just throw some leaves in the juicer or do something special to it?

13. Sophia says:

*actual

14. colleen says:

I am a registered nurse, working in Gastroenterology. From an alternative standpoint Aloe is great for many things. From a traditional medical standpoint, it stains your colon to almost black when used chronically or daily. This makes it very difficult to detect polyps or growths. I have seen colons that were extremely black (the mucosa), where it should be pink. It makes for a difficult screening colonoscopy.
    /colleen

15. Anne says:

Ok, I’m gonna say cat number 1 and if that is not the case then my excuse is that I’ve only been watching for a while and only saw him once before.

Drank aloe Vera from a bottle maybe 1.5 years ago. In Australia used to have aloe vera plants and use it on the skin when I got too much sun and usually ate some of the gel inside the leaf.

Thanks Kevin

16. Elaina Harman says:

Yeah I did the bottled aloe some time ago but I was not eating a really good diet and did not notice anything from drinking the gallon so did not buy any more.
    Cat #3 is Johnny 5. I have not heard how he got his name. Is it somewhere in the archives?
    Thanks again for all you both give to us all.

17. Cristine says:

I also put aloe in my smoothies. I rubbed aloe on my mosquito bites the other day and the itch went away immediately..

18. Mary Artemis says:

Got to be triplets, OR the same Johnny 5. What does that name mean, anyway?

My daughters drink aloe and I buy it organic in a dark bottle from the health food store. If I grow a plant, how can we get all that liquid??

19. Ineke says:

I’m using aloe vera juice in my morning smoothies lately. IN your smoothie book there is a recipe of Mike Adams that I like to drink. It also has okra in it and the sky is the limit how you make it. I always use berries in my smoothies and particularly in this one.

Thanks for answering my question about the kettlebells. We climbed PIkes Peak today. It was tough but well worth it. My husband wore his “toe shoes” (vibram) and he had a ball. I made it to the top but developed altitude sickness on the drive down. I felt very weak, fatigued and nauseous. Any idea what that is caused by? Is it possible dehydration? I did drink my water and ate fruit but rewarded myself on the top with a wonderful sandwich and some chocolate

20. nick says:

I cut out the clear meat of the plants leaves and add it to my smothie. I have heard someone just came out with a process to eat the green leaves but I always just used then for my skin.
    My aloe plants grow very slow so I have tried the juice it is not as good as the fresh I agree with u !

21. Marcla Green says:

I drink aloe juice everyday now!!!! with my distilled water!
    #3 looks the healthiest…omgoodness….I’d almost say all three are Johnny5 on different days and temperatures…but..if i really had to pick…#1.

22. joseph says:

I do like Aloe Juice… tho one of my clients tried it, and is now having a lot of diarrhea problems from it. David Wolfe certainly never mentioned any side-effects!

I found a few listed here:

Do you think any of this is true?!? Would love to know your thoughts!

thanks,
    -Joseph

PS – I’m going w/ #3!

23. Shirley says:

Definitely– Johnny 5 is #3.

24. al says:

i have grown up using aloe for bites, cuts, scars and especially burns. i have shared it with countless visitors with sunburn in hawaii. one mate visiting from australia had a nose that was so badly burned that he was in misery. it looked like a 2nd degree burn or a little worse. i peeled several leaves, mashed and strained them and put the smooth gel in a bottle with a flip top spout. i instructed him to gently coat his nose every 15 minutes with the cooled aloe and within 36 hours, his nose was pain free and looked soooo much better.
    in regards to drinking, it is used here for a variety of stomach ailments including digestion and especially ulcers.
    it is probably most efficient to blend the whole leaf. however, it is much easier to take if you peel and scoop out the gel carefully, mash and strain to make a concentrate. then, dilute to your desired consistency and drink alone or mixed with fresh fruit juice.
    the pure strained gel is great directly on skin and sometimes used for massage. my teacher was often called upon to help hospital patients with severe burns. one memorable instance was a gentleman with burns over 80 percent of his body. she had him delivered to her home, placed him on a plastic sheet and gently,meticulously and lovingly applied strained aloe gel for a week as he recovered. i am convinced that she shared more than just the aloe because her spiritual energy was palpable. this lady, aunty alice, is the one who generously shared her knowledge with me including the wisdom of “it is better to make the aloe in a way that people will drink it because you are still helping them”
    her recipe with the advisory “never sell this juice! only give to people or show them how to do it themselves…”
    trim the thorns from both edges, then fillet the flat side and carefully scoop the gel with a large spoon avoiding the green sap from the skin. mash thoroughly in a stainless steel pot and pour contents through a strainer. use a funnel to store the gel in the refrigerator in a small mouth container. other wise it is almost impossible to stop the entire contents from coming out at once. it should be fine for 3-5 days.

aloha, many blessings, and enjoy…

25. Paul says:

I think it’s the same cat in all 3 videos.
    I do not recall ever drinking aloe. I have some plants in my front yard, how to I use them for juice?

26. Julie says:

For those of you who asked…

Johnny 5 is the name of the robot in the movie Short Circuit. I think Kevin mentioned that in a video a LONG time ago.

27. Malia says:

CAT # 3 FOR SURE!

28. Hi Kevin.
    I think#3
    Also in regard to the “How to read your blood test kit sale” is this tool based upon a regular test done at the blood lab? What do I do demand the results from my doctor and take it home to read using the dvd’s?
    I am interested and I am quite concerned with my health. I got a blood test done and requested a B-12 reading specifically from my doctor and he didn’t feel that I needed it. I said well I don’t eat meat and I wanted to make sure the level was normal… he said well why don’t you just eat some meat… I was a little frustrated because I am a vegan…
    anyway I have still not seen my results and I am having a hard time tracking them down for some reason. I think I will go to the hospital to find out my levels again.
    Kevin, I am cold all the time and my fingers get so numb alot. I have not had a period in almost a year and I am not pregnant. I am tired often. I feel like I am ill alot. Like something is not right. I have been vegan for a year now and I have been feeling this way before I even went vegan too with no period, cold hands and feet, etc… I have extremely low blood pressure also. Could you give some feed back or some guidance please:) I am 28 years old 5″7 120 pounds. I don’t take any Vit. supplements but I do take Spirulina powder often and take an hour walk outside almost everyday for sunshine. I just don’t great! What should I do?

29. Karen says:

Are those three cats related? it looks like triplets.

I grow aloe and cut a piece and drop it in a smoothie occasionally. The fresh aloe doesn’t taste bitter like the processed kind. An of course it’s great for cuts, sunburn, etc.

Kevin, you should always wear blue – oh, those eys!

30. Catherine says:

Hmmm, cat #1 and cat #2 look very similar. I don’t recall Johnny 5 having blue eyes, so I’m going to go with cat #2.

Curious as to what you might think about Life Force Body Balance, which contains juice from sea vegetables and aloe vera. Seems to me that it’s too processed to have any substantial benefits.

I guess I could try ordering fresh aloe vera (where do you recommend?), as I live in the Northeast and I doubt that I could grow it where I live.

Thanks for all that you are exploring. Such a great journey of discovery this is!! Catherine

31. KAREN BEATTIE says:

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION! I BUY THE FRUIT OF THE EARTH WILD BERRY ALOE VERA JUICE, WHOLE LEAF INFUSED WITH NATURAL STRAWBERRY, BLUEBERRY, BLACKBERRY AND RASPBERRY JUICES; NO STARCHES OR THICKENERS. CONTAINS 95.75% ALOE VERA, I BUY IT AT WALMART AND ISN’T VERY EXPENSIVE. I WILL TRY TO FIND SOME IN DARK GLASS BOTTLES BECAUSE PLASTIC ISN’T GOOD. LOVE CATS WE HAVE 4 AND 2 DOGS; YOURS LOOK LIKE BROTHERS AND SISTERS! BETTER YET WE SHOULD BUY SOME ALOE VERA PLANTS AND JUICE IT OURSELVES; ISN’T THERE A LOT OF VARIETIES OF ALOA; AND THE EDIBLE SKIN TYPE IS SMALL LONG LEAVES! GOOD TO KNOW THE HEALTH BENEFITS.

32. Deanna says:

Very cute. Johnny 5 is #3. I use aloe gel on my face for trouble spots. And I use aloe liquid in a spray bottle as a face mist. I remember that the name is from the movie.

That was fun. You two were so cute when you were sheepishly asking us to guess the real Johnny 5.

33. Makorev says:

I have drunk aloe juice before, but even though I grow my own, for me it’s bitter, bitter, bitter. And it is impossible to wash from the mouth. I did an experiment in H.S. and determined that the ability to taste aloe is genetic; my Dad and one sister and I are tasters, my Mom and brother and other sister are not. Testing friends across the years I have determined that tasting aloe is a quantum characteristic, i.e. all or nothing. I have yet to find someone who only has a slightly bitter taste sensation.

34. paul says:

Once in a while I will drink some aloe.
    Don’t know how potent it is,(organic in a glass bottle) but it certainly is good for digestion. I also use it for topical purposes. It was great this summer on my sunburn. Heals quickly.
    That coffee comment made me laugh Kev, I was thinking the same thing.

btw, J5…#3

35. Geri says:

Okay Kevin, was this a trick question? I say they are all Johnny 5! lol

36. jackie says:

I had an ulcer over 20 yrs. ago and was taking Tagamet. Then I decided to stop the med and drank aloe vera juice instead…it totally healed me and the ulcer never returned! A friend of my recently had a bad ulcer and within a week or so after drinking aloe vera juice she has no pain and thinks she is healed.
    Kevin, you look awesome in that blue shirt. Not sure about which one is Johnny 5…maybe Geri is right and they all are! lol

37. PAFaith says:

I drink aloe from dark container, but will look for fresh leaves. Johnny 5 is cat #3. Smoother, darker, finer featured face.

38. anasha Sol says:

cat nr 3, and your hair is soooo goooood Kevin, please do not cut it, except if Ann wants it !!!!!!!

39. Steve says:

Are Kevin and Annmarie Raw Foodies (vegan)? Today’s newsletter made me think they weren’t. Just curious.

40. Kimberly says:

cat #3! it’s the eyes!

41. Marianne says:

Seems too many people have been watching this one and I have been unable to get into it – it just won’t load for me, even if I go into You Tube and try loading – would really like to see it if it can be sorted. I have checked out other vids and they are fine!!!

42. susiequeue says:

I can’t get the video to stop buffering!

Anyway, quite a few years ago. It was in a little plastic bottle and it tasted vile! I have never bothered since, even though I know it is good for you.

I have a mega plant growing on my windowsill here in “sunny” Wales and I use if for burns.

43. Stephanie says:

To Mary A, Johnny 5 is from the movie Short Circuit. It was an 80’s movie with Ally Sheedy.

Anyhow, I think Johnny 5 is either #2 or #3…not sure and the last time I had aloe was the first time I tried it and I put a piece in my green smoothie from my home plant.

44. C. Ben says:

Is the skin from the aloe plant bad for you? I cut some fresh off my plant and put in with my morning green drink. I use the green star juicer. Does anybody know if the skin is harmful?

45. Angie says:

CAT NUMBER ONE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I eat the aloe plant, well drink it in my Orange Juice. On the back of the new plant I just bought it said CAUTION: Do not eat! So I got a little scared, did I buy the wrong Aloe plant? My first plant did not say this! Hmmmm, I have not used this new one yet, should I? I had to buy a new one because my first one died, because i over watered it 🙁

46. Angie says:

:):):):)

47. martha says:

Could they all be imposters – not a one of them meowed!
    Went to an estate sale here at the coast of nc where I live and bought the grandest aloe vera pottd plant – it is hugh! I had a little bity one and would snip it to put on burns (as I become more uncooked, I’m having liess burn accidents) and ocassionaly added it to smoothies (not ever sure if I was suppose to squeeze the gel or toss the whole thing in)

48. Jessica says:

I love aloe! I use it everyday internally and externally. There is this awesome guy who started me on aloe. I would drink three glasses of it everyday and this started helping me shed weight. Check out his website: http://www.cephashotshop.com/

Power to the peaceful and healthy!

49. Heidi says:

cat # 1
    I just used aloe for the first time this week. I got it at whole foods. It was about 18″ long and 4″ wide at the base. I opened it like book and removed all the aloe. Then I put it in the blender along with fresh green juice and fresh coconut water. This was my lunch and it was awesome! I couldn’t detect any slime at all. I am now a fan of aloe! 🙂

50. Angie Smith says:

I forgot to mention that in order to get rid of the bitterness of the aloe, I let the yellow goop drain out – it is right next to the skin of each leaf. I cut off a leaf, let it drain a bit, and then blot the end of the leaf on paper towels. Usually I have to cut off another half-inch of the leaf & blot it again, and sometimes I have to cut off a second or third section. When there is no more yellow stuff, I slice the leaf down the center and scrape the gel off the skin with my teeth.

I also forgot to pick Johnny 5 – I’m going with cat #2.

51. Beth says:

Johnny5 is cat #3
    Glad he has some kitties to play with and keep him entertained 🙂

About 8 years ago I tried some aloe juice. It wasn’t fresh, but it did come out of a dark bottle. Didn’t really like it, but of course I finished the whole thing because I had already paid for it.
    Perhaps drinking fresh aloe juice would be better, and more to my liking.

52. Ashley says:

i drink aloe vera juice regularly and have for years. unfortunately, there isn’t much aloe vera where i live so i buy it from the store. i still love the unique taste and the energy it gives me.

oh! johnny 5 is cat number 3!!

53. Sue says:

J5 is cat #3.

54. Andrew Casson says:

Cat number 3!

55. Susan says:

I drank aloe vera everyday for six months while coming off Nexium – a blessing to me then, really cooled my stomach.

I think #3 is Johnny 5

56. Angela says:

I put a little aloe in my smoothies sometimes. I think all 3 are johnny 5. Beautiful cat.

57. briannaG says:

Cat #3 for sure! My question is- where did you get all those cats?! They do look a lot alike 🙂

That was fun. We should do questions like that more often!

58. Angie Smith says:

The robot in Short Circuit is “Number Five” if I remember right. How DID Johnny 5 get his name?

59. eyla says:

I think all three are Johnny 5!

My Brazilian friend told me that in Brazil, she was told to never eat Aloe, she didn’t know the reason, I’d love to know why they said that.
    I don’t believe that it has anything but great effects on health, just thought it was interesting…

60. David says:

Hey Kev. I will often add a whole aloe leaf filet to my smoothie when I feel I need to. However, I do sometimes get some stomach pain after drinking it (not always though). Never get it when I leave the aloe filet out. Wondering if it has to do with proper washing of the filet before using it, or maybe the amount/size of the filet. I usually use a full aloe leaf filet but sometimes the size can vary quite a bit. Any thoughts?

61. I live in AZ so I grow my own aloe vera… Had some this morning with my green shake:) Cat number 3 is Johnny Five.

62. Angelique says:

Cat #3 — the eyes and his head shape. He looks like you would find him on the wall of an Egyptian tomb.
    If I had an aloe plant, I would probably use it but honestly haven’t used one much since I was a kid and my mom had a plant which we used mostly for burns (lots of sunburns in Arizona!)
    I would like to grow a nice aloe plant again someday and will experiment with it then. A future adventure!

63. Kat says:

Cat #3 is Johnny 5! 🙂

Hmm…well, I’ve only used aloe for burns growing up, I haven’t tried it otherwise. I worry since a lot of foods I’ve tried that are similar, like cactus, I found I was allergic to. But we’re growing our own right now!

64. Cat #3 fo sho!

I have aloe growing in the herb garden. We have not eaten it because every time we use it topically and give it a lick it is soooo bitter. Never gotten past it enough to incorporate it. Maybe we will give it a try in the smoothie and remove the yellow bitter part first and just use the gel and skin. I do get cravings to incorporate it. It just seems so hydrating and healing. Thanks for the reminder!

Lots of love to yas! Hope you enjoy Sedona~

C&S

65. Sharyn says:

I just finished up a bottle of Hanna Kroeger”s Organic Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel. If I do not have the right fresh aloe plant on hand to use, I find it works the best. There are over 100 species of aloe vera, if I remember correctly, and only a handful have medicinal value with the mucopolysaccharides and enzymes… so you may not want to eat your house or landscaping plants. The usual objection to the taste from any bottled juice/gel is from citric acid used to stabilize it. The thick stuff in the brown bottles is from sodium alginate (from kelp). Neither of these is a problem that I am aware of and also have benefits. I would NOT want to see any other additives…no sugar! Hanna recommended no citrus fruit at the same time as benefits would be canceled out.
    oh…#3

66. Peggy says:

This is funny video from a local guy who makes aloe drinks.

I go through phases, but I love to drink the Aloe. The big leaves are the best!

67. Gordy says:

I used to sell aloe vera products as an independent distributor thru a network marketing company back in the late 70’s. The company’s name was SASCO from Dallas, TX. Not sure if they are still around. I haven’t really drank much juice since those days! Not a fan of the taste or texture or prep time from my house plants. For over 30 yrs. now, I have been using a stabilized aloe gel on my skin and face, especially after shaving… it makes for a nice tight protection that is gentle, non-irritating and helps keep in the skins natural moistures! It’s only 99% pure from Trader Joe’s… but works for me and my skin!

J5 is defiantly #3!!

Have a great weekend!

68. Rhonda D says:

Cat #3,

It has been a few years since I have drank Aloe juice. How would you juice it? it’s so gewy/slimy!

69. John says:

Definitely cat #1 🙂

70. Julie says:

To Angie: the robot in Short Circuit was Number 5, but later he names himself Johnny 5 after hearing the song Who’s Johnny

71. Oliver Fóli says:

watch them tell us none of them were. its gotta be…CAT 3! i’ll eat my hat if its not

72. Susan says:

Cat #3…those eyes!!!

73. Debbie Grezik says:

ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT ABOUT IT…..JOHNNY CAT NUMBER 3333333

74. C. Ben says:

All you need to know about eating and drinking aloe.

75. Rae says:

Cat #3. Are you getting a friend for Johnny?
    BTW, re your dilemma about traveling versus living in a community,
    I’ve never known a Sagittarius who wasn’t crazy about traveling. Your wanderlust isn’t going to disappear, Kevin. Also, could you and Annmarie do a kettlebell demo yourselves?

76. Melina says:

Cat # 3 no doubt! Can’t forget those beautiful green blue eyes!

77. olive says:

Ooooh it’s kitty #3! I love cute quizzez…

78. Linda says:

#3 !!!

79. Colleen says:

my guess is cat #3

80. Eve says:

Once in awhile I throw a 1″ chunk of peeled aloe from my garden into my green smoothie. I think of it as a detox / mild laxative.

My cat guess: ALL THREE!!

81. Drew says:

Any body’s body can be allergic to any thing…test.
    Next what parts can be used?
    My father told me years ago,when he was a young man he would snip a little bit of the leave off and just swallow it(was small as tip of finger).Thats one way…But its all about the gel..the gel should be added to a smoothie after is blended,then add gel and blend for about 5-10 seconds.This is because aloe vera has long chain fatty acids and blending chops them up.Next beware that the “yellow stuff” between the gel and green skin(leaf)is a laxative and is one of the best,so dont get it in ur smoothie.I have not heard of any uses for the green part.Gel is very good for skin and hair.Oh and aloe is one of the most bitterest things you could taste on its own….but not when mixed with other fruits.I use aloe vera for repair and rejuvenation of body.

82. Melissa says:

Hey kevin and Annmarie!!
    Great show! Thank you for clarifying the vitamin D. I didn’t really know how the raw version was made.
    I love aloe vera! I use it to tighten my face and for sunburns. I also put a leaf into my green smoothies sometimes. Need to get a bigger plant though!!

83. Nina says:

I use regularly aloe ferox juice, aloe ferox grows wild in South Africa. You can also get a great aloe vera juice from the Tree of Life online store(don’t remember the brand) that has the pulp as well, great for digestion.

84. ann says:

I have just started taking aloe aboresence plant. They make this in Italy and only 5 year old plants are used. Good for cancer. http://www.aloedeca.com
    They mix it with honey to get the aloe into the cells. Father ramano Zago has written a couple of books on its uses for cancer and many other ailments and to cleanse and detox etc and recommends this particular producer for putity. US are importing this brand, Im in the Uk and get it from Ireland and they transport by sea and road so as not to get ny radiation in product. It seems good to me so far, just trying it out. They say to take it for 10 days on 10 days off and repeat cycle till got results required. From my knowledge there are no aloe products on the market they do not contain some type of preservative as it would go off and not be stable but as long as its not rubbish preservatives its alright.

85. Debbie says:

I think it’s cat #1.
    I grow aloe and cut a leaf once per week to put in a green smoothie. :o)

86. Melissa says:

cat 3! Johnny 5 has an angular face and super bright eyes.

87. Jasmine Leigh says:

I think they are all the same cat, but cat #3’s eyes are slightly a different color, could be the lighting, so Im gonna say all 3 are Johnny 5

88. Gen says:

It is cat number 3!

I take a Tbsp of Lily of the Dessert preservative free Aloe Vera Juice (in a brown bottle) every morning on an empty stomach. I add it to a 12 oz. glass of water along with a Tbsp of Flor Essence (herbal mixture), a Tbsp pure maple syrup and some freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice. Then I wait half an hour before eating. It makes a wonderful cleanse.