Is Vinegar a Healthy Food : The Renegade Health Show Episode #645

Monday Aug 30 | BY |

Today, I’m back to questions…

In this episode, I address if vinegar is a health food. I also realize that I need a serious hair cut. LOL!

I also answer questions about fasting with water and juice as well as questions about metabolism while fasting.

Your question of the day: Do you use vinegar? Do you agree with me?

Ke

1. Sarah says:

We use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. My husband drinks it daily, though I haven’t been. After watching this, I’m definitely going to add it to my daily diet. For some reason I didn’t realize that vinegar is a fermented food with probiotics in it, and that’s why it helps immunity. Thanks for the great info!

2. Kathleen says:

I use apple cider vinegar.It helps to digest food more easily when I have low stomach acid (is when you eat a vegetarian diet; the stomach doesn’t produce as much acid as when you eat meat, is what I have been told).

3. Margie Leslie says:

Yes, I use Bragg’s vinegar as a hair rinse (diluted)after a shampoo. I will also use it in a smoothie if I’m out of lemons, I use to drink about a tablespoon in a quart of water with honey or Stevia but I think it was hard on my teeth. I use it also to make a fermented antibiotic with garlic, onion, horse radish, hot red or green pepper and ginger. It works great but I’m so health I don’t need it now. I will take it though if I’m going to be around sick people.

4. Cathy says:

Look up “Coconut Secret” they have some wonderful products, and say that they are 100% raw. I have tried the Coconut Aminos, Nectar, Vinegar, and the crystals. I have been very pleased with all of them.

5. paul says:

I love bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar. I use it in my salad dressing, not only for the nutrition, but because it tastes so good.
    I didn’t know it had probiotics either. Now I’m even happier to use it.
    Thanks Kev

6. Deanna says:

Yes, I use Apple cider vinegar and I use Coconut
    Vinegar. The one that I have found is raw and states on the label that it has more benefits then apple cider.

7. I use ACV and coconut vinegar, both great!

I am curious if you still hold the two heads of greens a day mantra? Also, how much do you guys juice these days.

Thanks!

8. Margie says:

A teaspoon of vinegar will relieve heartburn. I think your hair looks cool. Margie.

9. Julie says:

I currently have Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and also plan to buy and try the Coconut Secret raw coconut vinegar I saw at my local health food store. I love to make a particular salad dressing recipe from Jennifer Cornbleet’s first book with the ACV.

10. I used coconut and apple cider vinegar on salads, but have minimized it a bit lately after starting to notice some changes in my teeth, and wondering if I need to watch the acidity in my diet. But, the Coconut Secret products are great… we’ve tried them all. 🙂

11. I am a confirmed daily Braggs ACV user for over 30 years. I recently had some coconut vinegar and thought it tasted great and plan to buy a bottle the next time I need more vinegar.

12. Kuru says:

Wow, I’ve been doing a special QiGong practice and a meditation practice with colors, and I’m hardly interested in food. This stuff makes you want to be a breatharian! But I’m still in the world (with a job, LOL), and need to ground myself. Does anybody have ideas about how to do that other than with food? Thanks so much for the help. I love being so right brain!

I love balsamic vinegar, but I’m glad to hear so many testimonials for Bragg’s apple cider. I should and will switch.

Kurukulle

13. Sandi S says:

go to http://www.tropicaltraditions.com and you will find everything you need to know about any coconut product…if you ask about Palm sugar, they will also tell you why they do not produce nor endorse that product. Check it out!

14. Oliver Fóli says:

OMG KEVIN, YOU LOOK LIKE SOME WISE MOUNTAIN MAN! or jungleman. applecider vinegar <3 i put it in my green juices everyday. will keep eyes peeled for coconut vinegar.

15. Jan says:

I use vinegar to make salad dressing.

I was not aware that vinegar has probiotics and I did not know that I could purchase raw vinegar.

I learn so much from the videos – Thanks again.

The lady with the headache had it due to trama to her brain not years of poor diet. My guess is that water fasting not only reduced inflammation but also reset her nervous system (brain & spinal cord).

16. Charmaine says:

Hi Kevin,

I would like to know what your opinion is on the HCG diet by Dr.Simmeon. I tried looking for the pros and cons but found very little.

Thank you for your help.
    Charmaine

17. Ann Marie Huntington says:

I’ve been using Braggs ACV for 10 years now . It helps metabolize the fat in your body and therefore helps with weight loss.
    It also helps remove artery plaque, fights germs, viruses,and bacteria, helps retard the onset of old age in humans and pets, helps regulate calcium metabolism, helps keep blood the right consistency,helps regulate women’s menstruation, helps digestion and balances pH, helps relieve sore throats,cleans out toxins, helps sinus, asthma and flu sufferers to breathe easier, helps banish acne, soothes burns, sunburns, helps prevent itchy scalp., dry hair and banishes dandruff, helps fight arthritis and removes toxins and crystals from joints, tissues and organs, helps control and normalize weight………………..and it tastes great on a salad!

18. Dee says:

Yes, I use vinegar, for salad dressing. Have used Bragg’s from time to time.

19. I definitely use apple cider vinegar! There’s a brand here in Canada that actually has some of the skins & things still in the bottles which is kind of cool.
    And I totally agree with you on the health aspect of vinegar & fermented foods in general. It’s too bad that sanitation laws and pasteurization are ruining so much nutrition…

20. Ineke says:

Since my husband came back from Hippocrates we haven’t been using vinegar but after reading some of the your and you reader’s comments I may introduce some apple cider vinegar again. Occasionally I use balsamic vinegar in my salad dressing.

21. nick says:

Use apple cider vinegar and add dandelion root and leave it for at least 2 months then use it as a salad dressing. Use reg. vinegar for cleaning chopping board, windows ect…

22. ACV all the way!! I use it in salad dressings, soups, cleaning solution…. you name it!

23. Velda says:

Ann Marie Huntington, thanks for all the info on ACV. I have used Braggs ACV with the mother for a number of years and thought it was just to keep the acid level balanced in your gut. I put about 2 1/2 tablespoons in my Isagenix shake in the morning and the same with the shake at night. I have a hard time taking it as a water and honey coctail. I’ve heard that it is very important to make sure your ACV has the “mother” (the sediments) in it – which is where a lot of the nutrients are. I didn’t realize that it also acts as a probiotic. Great things to know about it. Thanks!!!

24. Brianna says:

I do. I love Apple cider vinegar and use it fairly often, in small quantities.

25. KAREN BEATTIE says:

PAUL BRAGG LIVED UP IN HIS 90’S AND WOULD RUN IN DEATH VALLEY DRINKING WATER WITH FOOTBALL PLAYERS EATING HAMBURGERS AND SODA IN THE HEAT HE FELT FINE, ALSO HE HAD ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER AND THEY DRANK ICE WATER. READ THE MIRICLE OF FASTING BY PAUL BRAGG! I NEED TO BUY SOME AND HAVE BEEN DRINKING ALOA VERA JUICE! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE ALOA VERA JUICE?

26. marie-andree roger says:

I have been using Bragg Apple cider vinegar for 5 years with water and honey in the morning. I also put it pure in my face after taking a shower. It is the best antibiotic, prevent acne, cyst, any kind of rash, it is fantastic. I put a little bit in the corner of my eyes and I am 65 years old and no cataract. Patricia Bragg wrote a good book about apple cider vinegar. Read it, you will learn a lot.

And by the way Kevin, don’t cut your hair you look so good just the way you are.

27. Terri says:

I’ve used Bragg’s ACV for decades and and still do, but found Tropical Secret’s Raw Coconut Vinegar months ago and I love it. It supposedly nutritionally exceeds even ACV in amino acid, vitamin and mineral content and is also high in the prebiotic FOS. I’ve still got my trusty Braggs in the fridge, but I pretty much use the coconut vinegar all the time on my salads.

28. Sharon says:

I don’t really use much vinegar at all but I used to love balsamic. Now I find it too sweet which is odd since I like sweet flavor in other stuff. After hearing this I’m going to look for coconut vinegar. Didn’t really know about it till now. Thanks!

29. Sharon says:

PS: Forgot to say that I really liked both the Exercise week and the Fasting Episodes. I didn’t comment on them much but listened to them all and tried the exercises with my daughter. Winter is coming so it’s good to have some indoor exercise.

30. Thomas says:

I too consume Bragg’s ACV daily in water and on salad. It’s less filling and tastes great. 🙂

Myths are great, but you should look up the bios of Paul and Patricia Bragg on Wikipedia.

ACV was made popular in the 1960s by Dr. D.C. Jarvis and his 1958 book “Folk Medicine”. He used it for all kinds of remedies for both people and animals during his rural practice.
    Amazon carries it for six bucks.

The Braggs have an excellent product and market it quite well.

31. Leam says:

Appreciate the benefits of raw apple cider vinegar but mostly find vinegar prompts a headache for me.

32. Kathryn says:

Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar is what I use, but the coconut vinegar sounds more interesting to me. I have only seen a bottle of this type of vinegar once when I was on the other side of the island.

Will have to give the coconut vinegar a try one day soon.

33. Mimi Stiegel says:

I agree with your comments on vinegar. I don’t agree with your comment that you need a haircut! I think you look really good with your hair the way it is. Much more “natural”, not “styled” at a salon. I suggest you go like Matt Monarch! Just my opinion. <3

34. Anne says:

I have used Braggs and other apple cider vinegar (Spectrum, Omega) but I never use it consistently and always felt I needed to alternate and make my dressings with lemon juice for a while. Right now I’m not having any because I’ve been trying the 80-10-10 diet for the past few weeks.
    All the best
    Anne

35. Sarah says:

I have used Bragg’s apple cider vinegar for many years. I drink it every morning. As long as I’m drinking it I avoid getting yeast infections and fever blisters. It has really improved my health.

36. Cindy says:

I think apple cider vinegar is a cure all for many things. I’ve used it on sunburn & for headaches. I’ve also given it to my granddaughter when she gets a cold, & it has helped her avoid getting croup many times. She got croup as a baby, & the doctor said she would get it now every year until about age 10. When she takes acv, she doesn’t get croup. I don’t take it daily, although I have at times. More than 10 years ago I used to have stomach problems, where I would get horrible pains & have to run to the bathroom, & then I would break out in a sweat & sometimes even pass out on the floor. I would have to go lay down for an hour or two afterward because it would take so much out of me. It got so bad & happened so often that I was afraid to go places. I started taking Bragg’s ACV anytime my stomach would start to hurt & it worked every time to prevent an episode. I haven’t had one in years. And anytime I’m going somewhere where I know I may eat something not good for me, I take acv ahead of time, & it always prevents me from having any kind of stomach problem. I love apple cider vinegar. I can’t believe I just told this story. LOL.

37. hyesun says:

yep, i use both raw acv and raw coconut vinegar (from tropical traditions). i probably eat way too much vinegar though, as i have lost some tooth enamel. just like margie (#3), i just made some of that anti bacterial, anti viral tonic w/ acv, a head of garlic, an onion, 4 inches each horseradish and ginger, and 4 hot peppers (cayenne or habanero). great stuff!!! i use that for salad dressing. when i do liver flushes i drink 4-8 TBs acv a day for 6 days instead of drinking the 32 oz apple juice a day. that is WAYY too much sugar for me. kevin, what do you think of the olive oil liver flushes? have you ever done one?

38. Jacquie says:

Hey Kevin! Yes and yes…LOVE Bragg’s vinegar. Blessings! 🙂

39. i don’t use any vinegars for food consumption any more, only as a hair rinse do i use bragg’s apple cider vinegar…i follow the doug graham program so i don’t use any products like that

i do believe that fermented foods can be helpful for the enzymes and also if you eat things like pineapple or papaya…the one sauerkraut i would purchase because they ferment in their own juices with no salt or lemon is made by glaser farms in homestead, florida…go to http://www.glaserorganicfarms.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=139 and look for the green and purple cabbage varieties without salt…they do come in glass containers and you pay more for shipping especially is you can’t get it if you are not living in florida, but it is well worth it (unless you make it yourself)

by the way, kevin…i meant to say in your post on the coffee alternative drink that the sweetener spelled stevia, is actually pronounced like your name not steevia, as it was discovered by a man named estev (don’t remember the last name or how it is spelled) and is mentioned in the book “the miracle of stevia” by james a may who brought stevia to this country and is a great book to read about all the controversy with the FDA and getting it to this country and also discusses all the internal and external benefits…worthwhile book to get!

as for fasting/cleansing, check out my 42 day coconut water cleanse i did last december 2009 on my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and click on december archive to read my day to day account

namaste!
    chef mindy aka ageless low-fat raw vegan beauty

40. Josephinesped says:

I like the Bragg a-c vinegar. I was told by several people that all vinegar and fermented foods are nerve irritants, like some seasonings are. I am glad it is OK to use most fermented foods.

41. annie says:

I just found out that my apple cider vinegar is usda certified organic, but not raw. It’s pasturized.

42. We stay away from vinegar it is very acidic and upsets my husbands stomach. Once we went raw years ago, we lost our taste for vinegar and my husband never could tolerate it. We use lemon or lime juice instead of vinegar in our dressing recipes. For probiotics, we eat fresh raw fermented foods like sauerkraut and raw coconut keifer that I make at home, it is very easy. I have tried the raw Coconut Secret Aminos and now use it instead of nama shoyu or soy sauce, it has a fresh taste and is not nearly as salty. For an antibacterial, antiviral or anti-fungal topical skin nourishment, I blend 8oz of virgin coconut oil wit 1/2 oz Tamanu oil and 1/2 oz of Argan oil (all edible ingredients) and rub it all over my face and body when I am still wet from the shower and then reapply to any dry areas during the day. My skin looks lovely.

43. Angela says:

Love apple cider vinegar in salads. My husband takes 1 Tb in a glass of water. I will sometimes do a ts in water, I found it energizes me for a little while.

44. Peg says:

I had one great experience with vinegar. For decades I have had heartburn–chewed on tums. One night a few years ago I was suffering from this awful heartburn and indigestion. Tums did nothing–finally, I just ran to the kitchen and put a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in some water and chugged it down. My discomfort vanished!! I finally realized that it is possible to have too little acid which was verified when I started going raw. (maybe my guardian angel told me to go get the vinegar-hehe)

One day I actually griped to a pharmacist about the shelves and shelves of antacids. I told about my own experience and she was not impressed. So–we have a ways to go, but like you say “improving the health of the world one show at a time” or one gripe at a time–hehe.

45. Lorien says:

I used to use ACV but stopped, not sure why. I will pick some up and use it on my salads now that I know it’s a probiotic. I also put raw fermented vege’s as a top dressing on my salads. I don’t use dressing just lemon juice, garlic powder, cilantro and olive oil so the fermented vege juice gives it a nice kick. I’m going to swap the lemon juice for some coconut vineger and see how that is. Sounds yummie…

46. Cindy says:

When people say they “Take” ACV daily do they take it before meals, by the spoonful, or do they dilute it in water & if so how much of each. Do they do this as a replacement for HCL acid or some other reason? Also, is it something to do each time you eat or only once a day and do you have to eat after taking it or can you take it to relieve symptoms of upset digestion like cramps and stomach pain etc. I do use Balsamic vinegar on my salads almost daily. It says it is “Aged” in custom made oak barrels. Says nothing about any other processing. If it is not pasteurized is Balsamic still beneficial? Is the fermenting natural or something they add to to grapes? Sorry for all the questions but I don’t know much about this and some feedback would be helpful to know if this could help me. Thanks in advance for any answers

47. Cindy says:

Also, does taking ACV interfere with taking probitocs before meals or any other supplements like spirulina, chlorophyl, zinc, etc. Thanks

48. From the above comments, it seems that your hair deserves it’s own Fan Club(!)

In answer to your Question of the Day, I use my raw homemade kombucha vinegar in salad… the distilled store bought stuff is used just to clean off limescale in the bathroom, LOL.

49. i agree with you kevin but i dont understand why you didnt mention patrica braggs apple cider vinagar?? i mean you did an interview of her,and you didnt mention the mother of her vinagar.yes i use it everyday along with my wife using her amino acid sauce on our salads and cooking.and remember we are living in a world of micro-organisums you have good bugs(arobic,and thrive in oxygen) and you have bad bugs(anaerobic,and they thrive in the absence of oxygen)and are also called free radicals or scavenger,which are actually unpaied atoms that are missing one or more protons.i mean it goes dipper than that but i put it in lehmans terms:)

50. remember she says(patrica bragg)says it also cleans your pipes out:)should do another interview with her.

51. Brynda says:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin. I know you try to get in as much info as possible in these short segments, BUT you are speeding and need to take a deep breath! How are your adrenals??