Flexibility Exercises for the Inflexible : The Renegade Health Show Episode #640

Monday Aug 23 | BY |

Flexibility is not everyone’s favorite subjects…

But I will tell you that balance and flexibility training would prevent a good number of hip replacements due to falls.

What if you just did these simple flexibility exercises just to be assured you will remain upright and strong for a long time…

Could you do that?

Your question of the day: When was the last time you stretched?

To get a copy of our Renegade Health Bodyweight Fundamentals Workbook, please visit click here: http://www.renegadehealth.com/bodyweight

1. Elizabeth says:

Awesome, glad you guys are addressing exercise!

2. Peg says:

Very happy to see the exercise info! I have a hip that gives me problems and my mom and one of my sisters have had hip replacement . I get lots of relief with yoga stretches.

I am looking forward to more exercise programs–I agree that it is so very important.

3. Barb says:

Do you have any suggestions for how to do some of these after a knee replacement?

I cannot kneel after 2 years on my knee nor can I pull my leg upwards as in the first stretch shown by Anne Marie.

I nordic walk and also do a little strength training presently but like this stretching idea but an quite limited due to the knee replacement.

Thanks

4. Linda Miller says:

I do yoga at least 30 minutes, and often 60 minutes with workouts on Fit TV and PBS. Also on PBS is a program called Classical Stretch that is just excellent. I love yoga and love to stretch. I learned that you can do the aerobic exercise but if you don’t have a stretch routine, you can still pull muscles, tear or strain rotator cuffs, etc.

5. Sandi S says:

Today! I teach Pilates and train clients and we stretch after every workout.

6. I like these exercises! Uh oh I had trouble doing them….eeep! I thought I stretched a lot,,,,hmmmm…

7. Henrik says:

Looking forward to the rest of the exercise shows!

The last time I stretch was earlier today. My body is all sore from detoxing a goats cheese accident I had this weekend. 😛
    I’m heading for the acupressure mat next! It does wonders.

8. Kay says:

Today – when I taught yoga practice 🙂

9. nancy says:

Love your five finger shoes!!!! Can’t wait till my feet ar sportin’ some! Thanks for bringin in excercise more!!

10. Russ says:

cool, looking forward to this exercize week.
    Have you guys ever read the book by Phil Campbell called “Ready, Set, GO! Synergy Fitness. he talks about the Sprint 8 workouts that rebuild hormone levels naturally by recruiting HGH. Great book!

11. Dianne says:

Oooooooo!!!

Pink Vibrams!!!

12. Deanna says:

Last pm did some yoga. Thanks Russ for the book suggestion that looks interesting.

13. nick says:

yesterday and I am going to do some more stretching today. I try to paractice Yoga @ least 3 x a week for 30 min. I stretch @ least 10 min every day.

14. martha says:

fat doesn’t stretch as well as muscle!, but I am trying everyday. I stretch every morning to help me spine. pull my knees up one at a time while still in bed, stretch my shoulders out and then stand tall and bend back then forward and slowly come up as I feel each vertebrae. just can’t touch my toes yet! my goal to do so by december.

15. Mary Artemis says:

I LOVE stretching. I do it right from bed in the morning as I have some tight ligaments in my legs, lately. Getting in shape shouldn’t be yucky, but rather, I think it should feel WONDERFUL if one does not do too much too fast. I find I have to purposely almost painstakingly slow myself down and listen to my muscles, ligaments, etc. and they do tell me which way to stretch and how much. In fact, the process is wonderful and opening. Same for more to very advanced exercise. Slowly, a bit more at a time, does the trick. When I am proficient I actually enjoy the exercise and my body naturally progresses and WANTS to do a bit more and then I let it.

It’s when I get too excited at what I’m doing and go too fast that my body will let me know (in pain) by becoming a bit injured. It pays to progress slowly… I’m more like “No Pain, Much Gain” . There’s always a starting point, even if it’s moving your arms slightly to get them over your head and it should feel GOOD.

16. Ineke says:

Great that you are doing an exercise “series”. Yes, I agree that exercise is crucial. It is a great oxygen provider. Over the years I have also noticed that the people who look great and exercise a lot are not necessarily vegan. Kevin, I also received an email in which you explained the appropriate exercise for the different dosha’s. I run, lift weights and do yoga. I do go to the gym but I admit that it is not my favorite place to hang out. I love my Bikram yoga classes though. The last couple of months I have noticed that running sometimes exhausts me. It comes and goes and so far I cannot pinpoint the reason. I don’t think I’m overdoing it. (about 3 miles). I got a whole blood panel done. The only thing that needs work is my adrenals and I need to supplement with vitamin D. Could it be related to that?

17. Misty says:

I agree completely. I love Anns shoes…where can i find those?
    hey Kevin, are you familir with chi running?
    misty

18. Kathryn says:

I really like your motivation to inspire people to become healthy but just wanted to give you another perspective from ayurvedic yoga therapy. Strength is more important than stretch-why, because the antangonist muscle (opposite of the muscle getting strenthened) automatically gets stretched. Everyone has a different body type-either Vata, Pitta or Kapha, and needs their own routine tailored to them. Vatas(thin body types) need a slower more gentle type of exercise with a focus on the breath, whereas Pitta(meduim)and Kapha(large)can tolerate more intensity. Hope this meets you well.

19. Darlene Santano says:

Some excellent stretching exercises that would be great for after Crossfit! Thanks guys.

By the way, I just stretched yesterday after my crossfit workout. If I don’t stretch afterwards I really stiffen up – so it’s very important to stretch!

I see AnnMarie wears Vibrams – how do you like them? A lot of the Crossfitters wear them as well for their workouts. I find I can’t because I need the arch support during a workout – especially something as intense as Crossfit.

20. john says:

Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie great pointers,exercise is very important I agree Kevin with you.

21. Sharon says:

About five minutes ago, LOL! Great video. Will be replaying that one regularly till I get them memorized. Small steps!

22. Sarah says:

The last time I stretched was just now with Annmarie!LOL
    Before this it was 4 days ago. But stretching just now reminded me how vital it is…I can feel the increased circulation, energy flowing through my muscles, everything nice & loose… thank you!! 🙂

23. KAREN BEATTIE says:

THIS REMINDS ME OF THE SUN SALUTATION! I WALK DAILY AND WHEN I CAN I GO WITH MY JACK RUSSHEL TERRIER TO THE MOUNTAINS WITH ALL THE FRESH AIR. I REMEMBER WHEN I RECEIVED YOUR EMAILS YOU HAD SOME TYPE OF INVERSION ROPES YOU EXERCISED WITH! YOGA, MEDITATION, FASTING, EXERCISE OF BODY AND MIND GREAT WORK! I WILL TRY TO PURCHASE SOME OF THE GOODIES YOU HAVE; THE SMOOTHIE AND MACA BUT COULDN’T WHEN THE GREAT SALE WAS ON. I WILL TRY THE HEALTH FOOD STORES LIKE TRADER JOES AND HENERYS; SPROUTS ALSO!

24. KAREN BEATTIE says:

ANOTHER GREAT SHOE IS THE MASEUR SANDLE FROM AUSTRALIA; THEY ARE BASED ON REFLEXOLOGY OR ZONE THERAPY. THE BOOK STORIES THE FEET CAN TELL BY EUNICE D. INGHAM

25. Kuru says:

After doing balance postures for years, I got the answer: engage your core (pull you stomach in!). I am amazed when I go too long without doing balance poses, I might be wobbly at first, but totally stabilize when I engage the core. Best tip of the year for sure.

How about you two do a DVD so we can follow along? Not interested in a manual, but a DVD gets us going, and shows us how is way less time.

26. Tamikko says:

Today of course! If I don’t stretch every day I’m in pain 🙁
    I do however need to stretch for longer. Thanks for the reminder.
    AnnMarie, I love your pink five finger shoes 🙂 I’ve been wanting some for a year now 🙂

27. Brenda says:

I just stretched with Anne Marie. 🙂 I do a great deal of hiking in the hills above the San Francisco Bay, (East side). Great exercise, great view, great expanse. Today I walked on the beach in Half Moon Bay instead. Stretching is good. I do oxycise as well. Lots of breathing and stretching. I agree, exercise is very important. Some people don’t like the word exercise so I call it body movement. 🙂

28. Krystine Cooper says:

Thanks to you, the last time I stretched was about 2 minutes ago. Before that, over a year, yikes! I’m about 1 1/2 months into raw foods, and I love it. I’ve always hated exercise, but I’m going to have to just accept it (somehow). Thanks for the motivation!

29. Jan says:

I stretched yesterday and this am with Anne Marie. I was able to get into a routine of stretching with help from my dog. Before he goes outside he stretches front legs first, then his back legs, and finally he arches his back. This dog will NOT go outside without stretching. So while he does his thing I do mine. Then I decided to do some upper back & neck stretches at my desk. While brushing my teeth I do leg exercises. Remembering to do the exercises while brushing teeth was hard so I wrote a reminder post-it note and placed it on the mirror. Now it is automatic and I don’t even think about it I just do it. For me it came down to getting into a routine of exercising and not deciding when to do it every week.

30. Dee says:

I stretched this morning.

31. Ingrid says:

This morning at the gym! 🙂

32. Debby says:

Last night at Bikram Yoga. Love it! 90 minutes long and I am totally stretched inside and out by the time I am through with class.

33. Blair says:

this morning and just now while watching!

34. Barbara says:

Kevin – Do you EVER stop talking over everything Ann Marie is saying ??? It’s very annoying! Let her talk and explain things – we don’t always need your extra commentary!

35. Leila says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie, I enjoyed this video a lot. I’ve been exercising for a year now and it’s what I’ve been waiting for my whole life! You’re right nothing beats it. Thanks for the stretch ideas.

36. josephinesped says:

I do some stretching a few times a week. Sometimes I stretch for about 20 minutes and sometimes I barely do anything.

37. Chris says:

Great video! Thanks. I last stretched after my weight training workout this morning. I try to ALWAYS stretch as I’m now over 60 and stretching seems to help me eliminate soreness and keep my flexibility.

You mentioned that balance is so important to work on. I have terrible balance problems. Any suggestions to effectively work on balance?

38. MARI says:

So sorry Barbara # 34 was so nasty, I never thought you talked over Annmarie. It is nice also when she does her own show. I definetly agree the importance of stretching, use to do a lot of yoga when worked part-time not as much now & feel the difference as I get older. So no more excuses! HA! OH Annmarie please use a yoga mat out on the rough pavement so hard on your knees!

39. Nick says:

Wow, this show appears with such amazing timing, as if you’ve been spying on my google searches ;-))) Really now, the only reason why I stretched on that yest & this day is due to a series of events that began only a few blocks from the office of Dr. David Stark.

Unfortunately I didn’t know him at the time not a week ago when walking my ex’s leashed dog, she bolted at the sight of a cat. I let her give chase to get exercise and incidentally I get some too. She’s an older dog I trust wont catch her prey. So I ran after to follow her, thru the parking lot, around parked cars, wearing those stupid crocks of shoes & trying to hook them up as i tore off I strained my right hamstring.

So onto youtube I went, as embarrassingly is my habit, & found a hamstring stretch video where the guy sorta walks around in downward facing dog. I wrote that my hamstring were so tight I seldom could touch my toes. & that when I do try a stretch I feel it in the tendon down toward the knee & not in the belly of the muscle.

Then I read another commenter saying the method shown would not achieve a lengthening stretch due to a contraction from use of the hamstring in the exercise. So I replied asking how he proposes to achieve an actual stretch.

He writes back taking me thru the process & suggesting I read The Stark Reality of Stretching by Dr. Steven Stark. He’s a MD into sports medicine. He advocates sitting on the ground with a leg extended or lying down with a leg up a wall. The reason is so the body can relax, at least enough to isolate a muscle group so to better attend to the nuance between where the stretch actually starts from the neutral resting place.

So begin by easing back off, then go to where the founder of microstretching, Nikos some long Greek name describes as like putting your hand in warm water. Basically no further than the warmth generated by barely engaged activity. Then the muscle is stretched while let to relax & lengthen. So let the slight tension resolve into release on its own. Stark & Nikos the Greek Dr phrase all this differently, but this aptly sums up the process.

Turns out the guy in the video, the other commenter & myself are all into one or many styles of martial arts. Myself, mostly tai chi. In the Chinese I Ching or Yi Jing the primary attributes of the hexagram for the wind are gentle & penetrating. I believe central to yoga is the principle of ahimsa, meaning non-violence.

Maybe non-adherence to this ongoingly is why humans have to warm up & such as dogs can just bolt off running. I know it has something to do with our being bipedal. Quadrapeds are in constant touch, all fours to the ground. We get distracted from our ground contact, & big time in this cult-U-R, seems whether our hands are busy or idle.

40. Bonjour Annmarie & Kevin,

I love that you are doing a fitness week show. I try to stretch after each bike training… so yesterday after 3.5 hours riding along the coast in NW of Normandy under stromig condition: the sea was beautiful angry.
    I will go do some stretching now and couple core exercises.
    au revoir Jérôme

41. Last night. Lower body first then worked up to
    upper body. Felt really good; as I hadn’t stretched in a while. Really appreciated the
    encouragement on your show to get back to it.
    Thanks Kevin and Ann Marie! Great job this week. Looking forward to every episode.

42. Meri says:

Yay fitness week! I like the fitness shows. I stretched a few hours ago after a workout. I like to stay flexible as I believe it’s really important and fun too!

43. Julie B. says:

This morning! I stretch regularly (i.e. almost every day), especially now that dance ausitions are coming up and I want to be ready for any leg-lifting moves, lol!

That hip stretch with the upper body twist (I don’t know what it’s called, you know, with the front lef bent and the back leg against the floor and your hips go down), I’m familiar with, but not with the upper body twist! Nice, 2 stretches in 1!

44. Gwen says:

I have maintained an active gym membership for 29 years and stretch before and after every workout. The last time I stretched was last night.

45. Jacquie says:

I stretched this morning before I went out for my morning run. Yippee! LOVE having these exercise shows back. I loved Fitness Fridays. 😉