Can the Whole World Be Vegan with John Robbins : The Renegade Health Show Episode #623

Thursday Jul 29 | BY |

In this second installment of my interview with John Robbins, we talk about the vegan diet…

John has some interesting comments on if the world will become vegan, if the meat industry can practice in an ethical way, and how the native people he studied in his book “Healthy at 100” survived (and what type of diet they ate).

Your question of the day: What do you think we’re setting up for?

To check out John Robbins’s new book, please click here!

1. Matthew says:

This is interesting but not new info. Dr. Weston Price was one of the first to study indigenous cultures around the world that live long, healthy and happy lives. What he found is that the diets vary widely depending on where the people lived and how their bodies were conditioned. I think it’s important that we understand that the raw food and/or vegetarian diet is an excellent source of the essential vitamins and minerals that we need. But that the amounts we need to eat vary from individual to individual. We are still hunter-gatherer’s – some people cannot thrive on a whole raw food or vegan diet. The will in fact get sick. Some people need meat and eggs to function properly. We cannot judge one another for the differences in our diet. We are all on the same journey to optimum health!

2. yogaholic says:

I totally agree with Matthew. Different people, different ancestry, different diets and needs.
    One size fits all doesn’t apply. Period.
    Annemarie and Kevin:
    Why not write below the video/show what it’s about so we have the choice of reading instead of playing the video. There is a lot of rambling and not everyone has the time to listen to that. Get to the point and stick to it. Thanks.
    A good example of well put together and informative videos/letters is http://www.mercola.com
    Check it out.
    Namaste.

3. KAREN BEATTIE says:

THANK YOU FOR THIS VIDEO! WHAT AN INFORMATIVE PERSON; KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO LEAN FROM EMAILS!

4. KAREN BEATTIE says:

IT WOULD BE NICE READING; DIET FOR NEW AMERICA AND HEALTHY AT 100! GOOD INFORMATION AND A CHANCE TO (LEARN)!

5. Wendi says:

I think you are setting up for a photo shoot of a new product. I’ll guess that to be something to do with Ann’s product line. Personally I’m hoping it’s shampo and conditioner 😉 Loved the interview.

6. john says:

A photo shoot, for Ann Maries exclusive organic facial cosmetic line ! And Kevins organic Kale chip line ! (smile) Either way all the best to you BOTH !

7. Janet says:

Not all people can be vegan. I see many people wasting away on a vegan diet as much as I see unhealthy people living on a meat or a SAD diet. David Wilcock states that there are 16 different real races on the planet. It would seem then that these different races (who have mixed into the common 5) have different requirements. I agree that vegetables and fruits form the basic building blocks of diet and that raw fruits and veggies hold many health keys to any human body. However I have not felt good on a purely vegetarian or vegan diet ever (although I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies and support the movement to eat raw fruits and veggies). It is OK if John Robbins is vegan. That is his choice but I am interested in being healthy (whatever the correct diet is for me) and not in being a purist necessarily. I do think that we need a revolution in food. Veggies and fruits are equally being farmed incorrectly with pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, and in mono-cropping as much as farm animals are being processed on factory farms in very in-humane ways. When did it become “normal” to treat all of the plants in this way? There is absolutely no reason to treat the plants or animals in a non-sacred way. I grew up on a farm and we never treated either our animals or plants in this fashion. It is a matter of respect for all life that is important in in the midst of the cycle of life (birth-death). What is missing from this video is talk about treating the plants right. It is not enough to say, people X ate a more plant based diet. There are other factors. That diet was one in which the water was healthy, the air was healthy, people exercised more daily, AND the plants were treated as sacred. It does not jive that it is just a plant based diet that affected their health. Also many of these cultures (like the Hunza) ate goat meat. They were not vegetarians like some popular vegan/vegetarian speakers like to portray them to be. This is something that anyone can look up on Google for proof. I am not saying that meat is superior or that plants are superior but what I wish to convey is that there are various diets that work for people in different locals and that there are more factors to health than John Robbin’s video delineates. I appreciate John and what he says nonetheless as it stirs up the pot a bit to get people thinking.

8. Patrina says:

I agree with some of Janet’s points about quality of our plant foods and other factors affecting the health of different cultures. John touched on sense of community and care in those cultures he researched for his book. I recently watched a documentary about a person travelling across Mongolia and accepting hospitality from the nomadic groups he met along the way. Their diet was basically meat and fermented milk, and they seemed healthy. Their animals fed on whatever feed they could graze on as the people roamed to find pastures, all natural pesticide free wild grasses. These animals then provided milk and were killed for meat (they ate it boiled). The nomads seemed stress free and happy! They get excellent pro-biotics from the fermented milk, breathe clean air, sleep when it’s dark, entertain themselves with conversation, singing, mealtime stories etc. I’ll bet they are healthier than I am with my various aches and pains!

9. jak archer says:

thank you Janet and Mathew for your comments, very good reading.

10. Brenda says:

My wild guess is that Anne Marie is setting up a photo shoot to advertize her skin care line. 🙂
    I like the points that Janet in #6 made.

11. Maire says:

I like you guys because you guys are truth finders what right for you is not what’s right for everyone and you have said that from the beginning. I stick with your guys because I think you are dynamic and have great information because you know how to research and you are always learning and striving and you have beautiful connection with each other. I spread your video’s AS much as I can I have for a maybe a couple years now. Good luck on your nutrition certs and I am a fan forever even most of my carnivore friends watch you guys when I post your you tube stuff. We appreciate you BIG TIME w/out judgment or judgment day…

12. Dee says:

I am voting for photo shoot as well. Great interview. Thank you.