Raw Food Recipe for Crunchy BBQ Chips : The Renegade Health Show Episode #622

Wednesday Jul 28 | BY |

Today, we crack the raw food recipe code…

In this episode, Abeba Wright – the Krazy Kracker Lady! – shows you how to make crunchy, crispy BBQ chips.

They’re amazing and they taste like junk food. (Except they’re good for you!)

Your question of the day: What are you going to do today that will help someone else?

Here is the raw food recipe:

Abeba’s Crunchy BBQ Chips

1 1/2 cup water
2 carrots
2 tomatoes
1-2 dates (soaked for 30 mins)
3/4 tsp chili powder
1 celery stalk
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (soaked 30 mins)
dash of cayenne pepper
nama shoyu sauce or celtic salt to taste
2/3 cup flax seeds (soaked over night)
1/4 to 1/2 beet (optional)

Put all ingredients in blender except the flax seeds. Blend well and check taste. Then add flax seeds, blend well again. Mixture should be slimy and a little thick, but runny like pancake batter.

Drop by spoonfuls on Teflex sheet. Dehydrate for 10-12 hours at 105 degrees. Flip krackers and remove sheet. Continue dehydrating 8-10 hours or until desired crispness is obtained.

Yields 4-5 trays or approximately 100-200 krackers.

If you want to check out Abeba’s site, here is that link… http://www.absolutelyabebaskrazykrackers.com/

1. Barbara says:

Great question, and something we all should be thinking of all the time. I will try to stay aware so I can be sensitive to people’s needs.

2. Viita says:

l taught a yoga class to elderly ladies in a local church. They loved it!

3. JuicinJackie0 says:

I’m going to continue to eat high raw, continue to lose weight and get active again…. FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN!!!

4. gabi and witt says:

wow! She is amazing.. she is my hero!! I am so inspired!! I am running into that kitchen and tapping into the imagination portal 🙂

In regards to the question… we have decided…

to nurture ourselves in order to create an abundance of nourishment to everyone we encounter. We are are being the love we want to see!! <3

5. melissa says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie, I loved this episode because the crackers sound so yummy to make! However, the dehydration instructions say to place the batter in for 10-12 hours at 105 degrees, and then to dehydrate for another 8-10 hours. I have dehydrated food before and I accidentally bred a lot of bacteria in my food (which left me sticken with food poisoning and recovering in the hospital over night) when I dehydrated buckwheat groats for 15 hours at 105 degrees before (I followed the book’s recipe). How can I make these crackers without fear of getting food poisoning? What should the temperature outside the dehydrator be? Can I first start dehydrating the crackers at a higher temperature (like 145 degrees) for a few hours (to prevent bacteria from being bred), and then continue at 105 degrees for the remaining time? I really want to succeed at dehydrating food, so any tips would help, thank you. ^_^

6. kt says:

Show up to work. It’s what I do all day long, help people. LOL. Love the Krazy Kracker Lady! Oh, here’s my better answer to the question of the day…. I’m going to share this video with friends and family!

7. Ronn says:

Dropping the batter into separate chips instead of covering the whole teflex sheet is AWESOME!! Have never tried that before, but it makes so much sense and looks so much easier, getting just the right amount of batter for each chip with a teaspoon! Thank you Abeba! Cannot wait to make your wonderful Crunchy BBQ Chips.

8. Melina says:

I agree! Really good question!

9. Taylor says:

Those look so tasty!

I know this sounds like I’m going against everything we believe in here, but I think she should find a way to package these crackers and sell them!

The world needs healthier alternatives to chips. And most Americans won’t take the time to make their own.

10. Cindy in Marin says:

Ohhh, I can’t wait to make these! I’ve met Abeba, she is super nice and have her book. Tried once to make the crackers but didn’t do it right. This video will be a great help in getting it right. Looking forward to seeing the recipe online since her book it packed away at the moment.

How to help someone else? I fed squirrels in my backyard today, does that count?

11. That was great! I’m going to get a dehydrator just to make those bbq chips and try all her other recipes.

Question: What makes the Excalibor so much better than the $39 dehydrators?

12. john says:

I had purchased a spanish Bible for someone who was not able to find a complete spanish Bible and gave it to him,so he can know how to get to heaven and his loved ones as well which is ONLY thru Jesus Christ and what he did on Calvary, His death, burial and resurrection ,and by believing in Christ finish work, God says we can know we have eternal Life as a FREE gift. Read John 3:16

13. jasmyn says:

completely awesome:) so many things starting with sharing this video.. then i shall make some using this recipe and share them with some cooked friends.. recycling.. playing with butterflies.. i had one sit on me today for almost an hour.. we had such a lovely conversation.. encourage people to get out and move..take time to myself often enough to keep myself joyful.. hold the door open for people young and old.. let someone in front of me at the checkout stand.. teach kids to climb trees.. just sooo many ways

14. Another question.. they looked kind of thick when she was pouring them. Do they thin out and curl as they dehydrate?

15. KAREN BEATTIE says:

SOMETHING WE CAN DO EVERDAY LOVE AND LISTEN TO OUR CHILDREN; MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE

16. Zaneta says:

I have Abeba’s e-book and I made the crackers, but could not eat them. Problem wase flax seed that must have gone rancid after so many hours of dehydrating.
    Many other raw recipes for crackrs advice to not soak and blend flax seeds.It smells and taste bad and should not be consumed.
    Maybe Abeba only mixes the flax, so they stay whole? It looks like she blended them for a short time.

17. Brenda says:

“assisting your well-being” is my business. I am a naturopath. Every day I help people move toward their health goal. I love my job.
    Those crackers look yummy, yummy, yummy. 🙂

18. Brenda says:

I am looking forward to the cinnamon I ordered a few weeks ago. Got any idea when I will get it?

19. nick says:

I am going to make some crazy Healthy crackers for my students and son:)

20. I will get myself healthy, I will lose about 300 pounds so I can physically be helpful on a regular basis.

21. Delma says:

Today I going to volunteer at an event sponsored by Georgia Organics and is being held to train City of Decatur, Geogia, lunch workers on basic kitchen skills, nutrition, etc. It is a wonderful opportunity to be part of a new movement in educational nutrition.
    Thanks for the demo and recipe…I can almost taste them!

22. Beth says:

Those crackers and chips look amazing!
    I don’t have a dehydrator, but I may try them in the oven at a low temperature.

Thanks for bringing us another great recipe that can be so versatile.

23. steve says:

Those look really good, just wondering about the ground flax, they won’t go rancid?

24. Susan Bessette says:

Today I teach 3 piano lessons at YMCA.

This lady is amazing. I’m going to get her book!

25. Rachael says:

Oh my goodness I love her!!
    My answer for the question of the day…
    Today I am going to give 2 people, much needed reiki treatments 1 including reflexology as well, free of charge

26. Christine S. says:

I’m going to praise William Farver for his bravery, both in his intention to lose weight, and for saying so ‘out loud’ in a public forum! Blessings to you, well-wishes on your path, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Great looking crackers! I’m a little concerned now though because of the other posts hinting at rancidity…

P.S. John, take it somewhere else. You’re in the wrong forum as you’ve been told before. We are here for health, and through a process of deduction, one could surmise that we are tired of having ANYTHING shoved down our throats!

27. Almamater says:

I am so motivated to again use my practically brand new dehydrator that I got last winter. Most everything I made last winter turned out yuck. But this looks good and doable. But I think I will wait until winter again because running the dehydrator makes the house warmer; don’t need that in summer!

28. Almamater says:

John: Yes, I agree with Christine S. Your preaching here is going to motivate no one to think about seriously considering christianity. What a turn off! You’ve done it too many times, dude!!

29. Kirsten says:

I just purchased Abeba’s Krazy Krackers eBook! I am going home to make her BBQ chips right now. I must admit I am not a huge fan of dehydrated foods. They always sound awesome and then I make them and would rather eat something else! I am enthusiastic for this recipe. Abeba, you ROCK!

30. Patty says:

Amen to that!! (Christine and Almamater) Great show today – I love the Krazy Kracker Lady.

31. Cindy says:

Could you confirm the recipe. It says to use soaked dates which I didn’t see her use, and she did use cumin that was not listed.
    If you could answer the above questions about the flax going rancid while dehydrating that would be great. Could you use the oven and if so what temperature would you recommend. I don’t have a dehydrator but these look great. Also how do you store these considering they use flax. Is a sealed, airtight container in a dark, cool place enough. Putting them in the fridge would probably make them soggy.
    thanks for the recipe & the show. Missed you today Kevin but it’s great to see Ann Marie doing her thing

32. Velda says:

Christine and Almamater, are you serious? Didn’t find anything pushy of offensive about John’s remarks. Actually is it God that provides health and if you don’t have a connection with Him, you cannot be totally healthy. He made a comment that was good and true. You can take it or leave it, but why do you feel it necessary to beat him up over it? It certainly wasn’t anything that will hurt anyone.

Abeba is great! I don’t have a dehydrator, but may try this recipe in the oven at a very low temperature. She is a delightful lady.

33. Sophia says:

Can’t wait to make the crackers!

34. Vegmom says:

way to go Velda!

35. As another poster stated, the recipe provided does not match the recipe that was shown. She used raisins and cumin, neither of which are listed in your recipe. Just wondering why the difference?

Looks good, I’m going to try it; I hope I use the right ingredients for the best BBQ Chip!

Also, I’m assuming the onion rings are just onions that are dipped in the BBQ mixture and then dehydrated? Same with the cauliflower?

36. Jana says:

I would have to borrow a dehydrator to make this and I’m wavering due to others’ comments about the flax turning rancid. My oven’s lowest temp is 170. The afternoon sun on my driveway is probably around 105! But not at night.

fwiw I’ve used ground flax seeds as an egg substitute in a cookie recipe. …not a raw version… I think it was 2 tablespoons of ground flax mixed with 1/4 cup hot water equals one egg. The cookies baked 12 minutes at 350. They turned out great. No problems with rancidity at all.

If someone posts some info for how to avoid problems with rancidity, I’d really appreciate it. ….also… can parchment paper be used instead of the teflex sheets?

37. rainbow says:

those crackers look great. i make others that i first saw here on renegade (with my own variations every time), and i share them regularly (they got raves when i shared them this past thursday night, and no one mentioned any problems with the flax). i will definitely try these new ones. the ones i just made yesterday morning i will bring to a spiritual center i attend, and then i’ll help clean up the flood we had from some very powerful monsoon rains we’ve been having here in arizona. and then i’ll come home and spend more time with my kitty cat, who is just beginning to recover from the move we made a few weeks ago. thanks for all you do.

38. MARI says:

Jana, yes one can use parchment paper even several times, I did before I got the teflex sheets. I never had a problem with flax going rancid, usually use ground up already, don’t soak for too long.
    Can’t wait to try these, but dehydrator is full with granola made this AM.
    Love to see you AnnMarie doing your own show. Coming back to Florida this winter again? Thanks for everything, such an inspiration!

39. Jan says:

I gave some fresh food from the garden to the local food pantry.

40. abeba says:

well hello krazy kracker lovers, thank you for your interest in the krazy krackers. In the original recipe garlic or cumin was not used but I’m using it now. One garlic clove and 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cumin powder or just follow the recipe. Also someone said the original recipe didn’t have raisins but it does. You can use raisins or dates your choice. I also have not had a problem with rancidity with flax, the only time that occurs to my knowledge is when you grind the flaxseeds and don’t use them right away. I have had no problem with blending, grinding or using them whole in my recipes, but I put the krackers in dehydrator as soon as I make recipe. I also turn on dehydrator for at least 10 to 15 mins before I put krackers or chips in dehydrator kind of like when you preheat an oven so the temperture is at the 105 degrees. You can do it higher like 115 if you like but I have not had any problems at the 105. Thanks again for all your wonderful comments. I thank the lord for his mercy and grace and the awesome opportunity to share this gift of making and creating krazy krackers to share around the world.

41. Katelyn says:

Thank you so much Abeba, I made these without the garlic, cumin, beets and I even forgot dates! They were still amazing and thanx to your thorough explanation they turned out perfectly the first time! I brought them to a raw pot luck last night and everyone loved them. Now I just need a bigger dehydrator! I’m going to make them again today!

As far as rancidity, I found a few great message boards that talked about it. The consensus seemed to be that the flax goes rancid a few ways, if u keep them in a mason jar in the fridge or freezer they will last for years but otherwise they will eventually go bad from light, air and heat, especially if you get the flax at a cheap bulk food section cause who know how long it’s been sitting there. Also as Abeba said, once your grind it up, use it asap. Things with flax meal do not last long.

42. Rhonda D says:

Well when we ask someone how you are doing stop and listen truly listen to them.

Great demo on the crackers Ok now I need to buy a dehydrator 🙂

To health

43. Shilonda says:

The Excalibur will be in full effect to make these. I truly love crackers too! Abeba you’re wonderful for sharing this! Thanks!

Shilonda

44. Shilonda says:

P.S. Abeba I agree with AnnMarie, I love your RING! and jewelry and your healthy locs and nails!

Shilonda

45. Beth says:

I am organizing a juicing class in Omaha, NE!! I am just about complete with a 60 day juice cleanse and have been sharing my results weekly on my facebook pages which has led to much curiosity! So, I am going to share my experience and I am super stoked! I have a growing list of people who are interested and I will share about some raw food stuff I have been learning too! I LOVE your website!