The Best Foods to Grow Indoors and Outdoors : The Renegade Health Show Episode #613

Thursday Jul 15 | BY |

Today, we have our last installment of my gardening interview with John Kohler…

In this episode, John discusses his favorite foods to grow, plus the difference between indoor and outdoor growing.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite thing to grow?

John hosts an amazing health event in Northern California that is coming up…

The Raw Health Expo is from July 31st to August 1st and is in Sebastopol, CA. To find out more and to attend (the price is super-reasonable… I think to little actually!) click here…

1. Sue Paterson says:

tomatoes with corn a close second.

2. Icebox watermelon! They are adorable and so easy to grow.

3. Jan says:

Mint and Lemon Balm, both are easy. I drink mint tea during the day and lemon tea at night. I dry the leaves for winter use and after the plants go to seed.

Also learning to make my own lotion using mint & lemon balm.

I have enjoyed these garden show very much!

Word of warning if growing mint you will need to contain it. I have a raised bed 12 by 3 feet and just allowed it to take over the entire bed.

4. Jan says:

Never heard of Kale Trees. Could he do a show on just the Kale trees? Where does he get them? What are the trees requirements, PH, prone to which kind of pest, fungus etc…? Do you prune,shape, or trim the branches? How does the tree come, bare root, in a pot, do you plant it at the graph mark or is there a graft mark?
    Thanks for the information. As always enjoyed the show.

5. Karen says:

Is growing sprouts gardening? Some day when you two settle down, you can have your dream garden, too. My favorite thing to grow is tomatoes, because they’re easy to grow and because home grown tomatoes are the best tasting. Oh, I want a garden like John! Thanks, Kevin.

6. Ginny Fisher says:

Kevin, you’re the man! My favorite indoor thing to grow is sprouts, too. My favorite seed to sprout is broccoli, but I always have a mix, to provide a plethora of nutrients. Right now I have broccoli, clover, alfalfa, fenugreek, red and pink radish, broccoli raab, brown and oriental mustard, arugula, curly cress, and crimson and black lentils.

I use other salad greens, but the base of most salads in our house in a big handful of sprouts. And sometimes if I’m in a hurry a handful of sprouts is a quick meal.

All these I jar sprout for three days in wide mouth canning jars. My screens are #14 and #10 plastic canvas. After they are well-sprouted I then transfer them to a sheet of #10 plastic canvas resting on a small pasta bowl to catch drips, then cover with a sheet of plastic wrap to keep them from drying out. Every day I turn the mat of sprouts over and separate them a little to let all the little babies get good light. I use filtered water in a spray bottle to spritz them with 2-3 times a day. Usually we start eating them the day or so after they go on the screen.

And then I also sprout sunflower seeds on a terracotta plate, which is a longer and slightly more labor intensive process~~but very yummy, crunchy, and nutritious!

Outside, I agree with John that kale is easy and yields so much that it’s amazingly cost effective. For the cost of a few seeds you can have a year’s worth of cutting and highly nutritious eating.

Keep up the good work K & A-M. Great info! Ginny

7. Maia says:

I always love to grow tomatoes and snap peas. Right now I have lettuce, arugula, 2 kinds of cucumbers, patty pan squash, stevia, 3 kinds of tomatoes, strawberries, Egyptian spinach, Jew’s mallow, red bell pepper, kale, and herbs. I am growing in containers but love John’s raised beds. I love his videos and have spent hours watching them over the last year. Also check out videos on the net for growing in wading pools for an inexpensive way to do a raised bed if you don’t worry about growing in a plastic form.

Thanks for all you do for us at RH! A day is not complete without one of your videos.

Maia

8. Veronika says:

My favorite thing to grow is strawberries, because you can pick them when they’re really ripe and flavorful. The grocery store ones are too hard and tart.

9. Sophia says:

One of my favorite plants to grow are tomatoes because they taste so good and you can grow them in all different colors!

10. andrew says:

tulsi is fairly easy to grow

11. Ann says:

We grow tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, radish, peas,runner beans, pumpkins, cabbage, brocolli, kale, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots, sweetcorn, herbs, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries,red currants, rhubarb and apples. It’s only the second year that we’ve been growing our own food and we love it as it tastes so good!!

12. john says:

Excellent program Kevin and AnnMarie,enjoyed what your guest John Kohler had to say very much, he seems to really have an experience of understanding in what works and does not work in planting produce.Like to have him on as a regular guest from time to time to may be answer garden questions and problem solving and increasing say produce yield. As for me I have many favorites but for vegetables I guess I’d have to agree with Lyle and his honest answer. I guess kids know, their taste bud receptors are at their peak to really savor the true tastiness of plants . For something a bit sweeter : Tahiti coconuts,Dates, Figs,cherries, all berries.

13. Janine says:

I love these segments about gardening. I need all the help I can get. More about organic gardening and pest control, please.

14. Diana(Ohio) says:

Great series, thanks for bringing them to us.

Favorite thing to grow, wow, thats like asking a parent which child they like best.

Every plant is unique and I think as a gardener I relate to each plant in many different ways.

Holy basil just keeps giving and giving ( as does zucchini, but different)

Herbs are like having a cat, they take care of themselves, but give back so much pleasure.

Wild edibles are awesome, they will come find you and shower you with their abundance.

Fruit trees and bushes make my life sweet.

Peppers, just when you forget that they are even there, they surprise you with all the spice your life can handle.

I love growing tomatoes, swiss chard, cucumbers, lettuces, peas, beans, mellons, mushrooms, kids, wow, the list goes on and on, and hopefully my garden will go on and on too.

15. RJ says:

Great show! When I was Lyle’s age and in grade school,all the children in my class were required to bring some seeds to school. We placed them in a glass and used a paper towel(the unbleached and hearty brown type)in order for the seeds to cling too. I chose to bring string beans and mine grew the fastest in that classroom. How proud I was!

Just planted some organic string beans out on my deck. Lyle reminds me of the story of “Jack and the Beanstalk”…maybe Lyle could meet that giant in the clouds if he planted some beans…

I’ll let you know if my beans reach the clouds. So far, they are just little sprouts. In 63 days I should be able to climb them!
    🙂

16. My favorite things to grow are:
    tomatoes
    peppers
    zucchini
    green beans
    cabbage
    apples

These all grow really well in the part of Colorado where I grew up.

Jonathan

17. Peg says:

Hot peppers and marigolds! Peppers for my husband and marigolds for me.

18. Mary says:

Where is a good place to buy seeds to sprout that wouldn’t cost a lot?
    Kevin, can you set up an interview with Dr. Mark Sircus to discuss the toxic effects of the oil spill and what people can do about it? It sure isn’t being reported anywhere else.

19. Wendi says:

Onions, because you can plant them very thick and just keep thinning them as you enjoy them. Stevia because you can’t buy fresh stevia anywhere and a few just make any salid something special.

20. Amy Davidson says:

I grow lemon balm, peppermint, parsley, chives and basil all in my kitchen windowsill. In my grandparent’s garden, I’m growing kale, zucchini, watermelon, cantaloupe, persimmons and heirloom tomatoes. My grandparents are growing lots of different tomatoes, romaine, iceberg, spinach, collard greens, beets, onions, strawberries, raspberries, green beans, dill, chives, cilantro, thyme, cucumbers, squash and pumpkins.

21. Theresa says:

I love to grow wheat grass & sunflower greens indoors. I Recently built 3 raised garden beds that I am very excited about. I plan on planting, tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, & whatever else that will grow & lovingly gift me with food to fule my physical form. This is a great topic & you two are such a gift to the planet. You both Rock!

Love & Light
    Theresa

22. heather says:

my favourites are berries: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, goji berries and of course strawberries.
    Goji berries grow really well here in the UK, but you must make sure you buy English plants as those being imported often have diseases. Other than strawberries, which can take a lot of maintenance, berries are really easy to grow and need very very little time and effort. Plant them, water them a bit, and off they go – and they keep producing year after year after year. Of all the fruit and vegetables in my greenhouse and garden, these really are the least effort!
    You’re best growing blueberries in a pot because they need ericaceous soil – so they’re great for small gardens and patios.

Its berry season now, and we can’t eat all the berries we’re getting!

23. Nihacc says:

Only one? Tomatoes, basil, mint, sunflower…

24. Jacquie says:

Can’t only pick one, so here’s what I’m growing this year: Garlic (I grow about 65 bulbs each year), tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, squash, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, basil, dill, parsley, chives, lambs quarters and purslane. I have much more planned for next year! 🙂 Loved this series, Kevin. I’d love to hear more from him. Thanks!

25. Jacquie says:

Ooops, Kevin, I forgot to ask if you’d please comment on the bill currently in the Senate, S 510. According to an email I rec’d from the Tree of Life Ctr, “According to Dr. Shiv Chopra, “If accepted [S 510] would preclude the public’s right to grow, own, trade, transport, share, feed and eat each and every food that nature makes. It will become the most offensive authority against the cultivation, trade and consumption of food and agricultural products of one’s choice. It will be unconstitutional and contrary to natural law or, if you like, the will of God.” ” I can’t even comprehend this happening, Kevin. I know some prisons grow their own food. I guess they’ll have to arrest people who are already in jail and the government officials who operate jails!

26. Brooek says:

Jacquie, SB 510 is a disaster. What happens is that when the food supply starts to make people sick (due to FDA incompetence and corruption and dirty processing plants), Congress decides to either give more power to the FDA or “regulate” the industry. All government regulations are illusions. The regulations end up centralizing the industry for the bigger corporations while hurting small businesses and individuals. We knocked down HR 2749 (hasn’t passed the Senate yet) and we can defeat this senate bill as well.

27. nick says:

In the summer outside LAmbs quaters, mint come back every year on there own which is great. Sometimes Basil and tomato will come back the next year.
    In the winter wheetgras and sunflower greens, aloa vera