How to Make the Chicha Morada (Super Peruvian Resveratrol Drink) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #607

Wednesday Jul 7, 2010 | BY |

We fell in love with this drink here in Cusco, Peru…

Chicha Morada is a purple corn drink that is super high in resveratrol. Purple corn can have 4 times more resveratrol than red wine!

Plus, there’s no alcohol… :-)

Take a look as Annmarie makes a cleaner, healthier Renegade Health version of this awesome chicha morada…

Your question of the day: Have you ever had chicha morada?

Here’s the recipe for Chicha Morada:

- 1 lb dried purple corn kernels
- 4 qt cold water
- 6 Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks
- 6 Whole cloves
- 1/2 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Fresh pineapple juice
- 1 c fresh apple juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped apples

Bring the corn, cinnamon and cloves to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for an hour, drain off the liquid and let cool. Once cool add lemon juice, pineapple juice and apple juice and stir together. Serve in a nice wine glass with piece of apple! Enjoy with friends and family :-)

(I made much less on the show because of the pot size we had)

Enjoy!

1. Judith says:

Yes, I drank chicha morada in Peru and fell in love with it. I look for it in the small Peruvian restaurants whenever I go to them. Now that I have the recipe, I will be making it! Thanks! ;-p

2. Janice Woodard says:

Looks really yummy, where can you purchase purple corn in the states? Was it organic?

3. kyle says:

can you just chew on that cinnamon bark? Is that any good?

4. Wendy says:

It looks fabulous!! Where can one find the purple corn in the states?

5. Donna says:

One can purchase organic purple corn kernels from Peru from nutsonline.com There are other interesting corns also for popping your own corn stovetop!!!!

6. Adriana says:

I never heard of Chicha Morada, but it looks amazing so I’ll try to see if I could find the purple corn somehow here in Toronto.

Thank you for sharring with us this great recipe.

7. John says:

could it me?! the first cooked recipe! wow looks fabulous, i wish i could get me some maiz morado

8. Rhonda D says:

OMG that looks so good.
    Great video guys.
    Thanks again.

Best of health to all.

9. Makorev says:

I drank chicha morada in a restaurant in northern Peru near Chiclayo some thirty years ago. Loved it (even though it had sugar in it)! Glad to have a source for purple corn availability. Will try the recipe. Also ate cui (guinea pig) and loved it roasted (didn’t care for it boiled). Chicha (alcoholic) is also called chicha marron (brown)which I never tried.
    There are many other fruits available in the Andes that are generally unknown in the States. One I really liked was chachapoya which is grown in the mountainous, tropical regions. Please inform us of other fruits and veggies that you experience. Your accounts have brought back many great memories for which I am thankful. Blessings.

10. Cherie says:

I never even heard of it.

11. Janet says:

Yes I have had Chicha Morado many many times, especially after being in Peru on 3 separate occasions. I always carry stevia with me when I go.

Now you have to try Kiwicha/Quiwicha which is puffed quinoa in cacao milk. You can make it raw if you soak the quinoa in the cacao milk.

12. DD says:

So will you all be selling dried purple corn in your store?
    Blessings,
    DD

13. Cathy says:

This may be an obvious question, but having simmered the corn for an hour to make the tea, is the corn now sufficiently cooked to make a side dish. Assuming one isn’t 100% raw it seems a shame to waste the corn itself. Perhaps as a breakfast porridge (seeing its already spiced up) with some honey?

14. john says:

Great info on the corn Ann Marie.

15. Ginny Harris says:

Yhe two of you are so caring,inventive, informative and REALLY REALLY FUN! I couldn’t resist ordering some cin…and then that cool blender/grinder you have + super greens. WOW! you deserve to be millionaires and are most giving and fair to all of us!!! Thanks ever-so-much! Love, Ginny YUM!!!!!

16. Christine says:

I have never tasted chicha morado although I used to live in South America. That sure looked good

17. a says:

Chicha Morada was my favorite drink when I lived in Peru. I think more properly I was mostly drinking a kool-aid powdered version with sugar rather than the fresh method you showed. Looks awesome! you’re so lucky.

18. You guys should try masato…de yuca o de pijuayo…

19. Barbara says:

No…never have tried it. If you sell the purple corn I just might..LOL! BTW….how do you both have such beautiful white teeth? Is that just from the tooth soap, or are you doing something else? Your teeth seem to Gleam….hmmmmmmm that sounded familiar…giving away my age…:)

20. heatherp says:

First drink I had when I got to Lima was Chicha Morada. I like your healthier version. I can get purple corn extract in Aust. Wonder if I can make Chicha Morada with that.

21. Dee says:

the recipe was good but what was the stuff in the bottle you said it was good for your pores I’d love to know

22. RJ says:

Thank you for the great recipe Annmarie. It was very special to see that you brought your gorgeous “find” shirt to Peru! I remember seeing it from a previous episode, when you and Kevin were moving into your new office.

My dear, the only thing that worried me about the recipe you found in Peru was the straining of hot liquid that looked to be poured thru a “plastic” strainer. Sad, how plastic has permeated even Peruvians.

I think I will invent a strainer using fine washable pebbles/stones. Wonder what the hot or boiling strained liquid would add to the brew when stones/rock are involved?

23. RJ says:

By the way…

FOR: Dee,

The product mentioned in this episode that was good for pores was part of Annmarie’s Skin Care Line.
    I really love her “coconut body and face oil” the best!

24. Nihacc says:

I’ve tried once in a restaurant, but the waiter didn’t tell me it was me of purple corn… so, I didn’t know it! Yours looks yummy!!

25. Paul says:

looks amazing. delightfully refreshing and invigorating especially in such a temperate climate up in the andes……..

26. Nihacc says:

… I almost forget: in Spain we use Ceylan cinnamon (you can buy it in every shops and supermarkets), in fact, I didn’t know how the other one (cassia) looks like.

27. Shweta says:

just cannt wait to order chicha corn.I was just wondering, since chica corn is dried, do we need to nixtamlize it .

28. Chicha Morada… I cant say it without singing it…(the lion king song) LOL.

You guys are awesome! It is soo neat to see you guys on the spiritual side. Kev, you have been on the science side for awhile so its nice to witness. :)

That corn looks sooo amazing! It actually makes me sad to think about all the lost varieties. I remember in elementary school in Arizona we had some special day where the Indians came to show us their traditions and all the colorful corn! Thats the last I have ever seen of it!

It looks like you guys are gonna have to figure out how to carry it in the RH Store! We all want to try it!!! :)

Lots of Love~
    C&S

29. Sue Paterson says:

Had some purple corn I bought for despauchos. Now, trying your recipe!

30. stella-zine says:

AwEsOmE!!!!
    thanx for the info on how to make it!!! yes i tried chicha morada recently in a peruvian restaurant in Atlanta. it’s on Buford hwy. (in north east plaza shopping center) but i don’t know the name of it. the restaurant is fabulous because they prepare so many authentic foods & recipes. tho most of it is not raw. so i don’t do it alot.

xoxoxo
    HaVe fun u guyz & thanx for the videos & updates.

stella-zine

31. Cindy says:

I’ve never seen purple corn before let alone heard of this drink. Looks so tasty & healthy.
    My question is what did you do with the “cooked ” corn? Did you eat it or use it for something, it seems such a shame to throw it out. Any suggestions on a recipe you could use it in. Not sure how it would go in a salad with the cinnamon taste, also could you blend it once it is cooked? I realise this would only be for people who are not 100% raw, but even you have stated in the past that you do eat some ‘cooked’ foods.
    Thanks for the recipe & have a great day

32. Christa says:

You can purchase the purple corn extract from the Raw Food World website, with Matt Monarch. They sell both purple corn kernals and the extact in the form of a powder……Great recipe though, I cant wait to try it!

33. Jasmine says:

That look amaaaaazing. You should start selling purple corn in your store. where do i find it?? OMG, I can’t wait to get back to Portland, OR from traveling north america so I can make some of this! yummmmmm

also, limon = lime. limon royal = lemon. Those were limes.

34. moonchild says:

yes, i also was a little bit concerned about the plastic strainer. and also was i seeing this right, where you using a Teflon coated pot?
    not a good idea either in my opinion.
    otherwise i like very much what you guys are doing……..thanks for this recipe.

35. Estella says:

My dad used to make Chicha out of the skin of fresh pineapples… it was good! You put the pineapple rind in water with “panela”, raw sugar cane. Let it ferment for 3 or 4 days, strain it and enjoy it. It’s really good but it may give you a little buz. It’s a traditional Colombian, native indian drink.

I would think it has some good enzymes and probiotics too.. hummm… never thought it that way.

Try it out!

36. Tracy says:

Yes I’ve had it. Some Peruvian friends are going to teach me how to make it. But I might beat them to it with your recipe here. Thx!

37. Carmen says:

Dear gringo hosts;
    1st the most important is the coronta of purple corn it contains more antioxidens so you boil the purple corn grains and the coronta until the grais skin star braeking….
    2nd the pinapple skin is boiled with the corn bacause in that altitude this brevage is going to lower your blood presure
    3rd when you add sugar you mix it poring to make a foam and add fresh apple chopped in tiny squars because you need fiber to digest the antioxidants
    Intindiy qank chu manan chu or manan qank chu?

38. Roy says:

Excellent drink. found it in small Peruvian cafe

39. Iva says:

I know about Peruvian foods cause my mom’s best friend is from Peru and she would take us to eat on Peruvian restaurants. I love Chicha morada!
    So glad to learn the recipe from you. Will prepare it as soon as I can find some purple corn. Hopefully you’ll bring some for us ;-)
    Let me share with you some of the things that I love…
    My favorite Peruvian food dishes are: papas a la huancaina, ceviche, aji de gallina.
    My favorite dessert: suspiro limeño.
    My favorite drinks: chicha morada and pisco (alcoholic, but sooo good!)
    I’m salivating just to think about any of these…. :D

40. Mariya Carrillo says:

Thank you so much for such a great video. I can not wait to make my own Chicha at home now.
    You, guys, are soooo cute together. Annmarie is soooo adorable; I could not stop watching your video. I would love to see more of your healthy videos, guys. Again, thank you for the recipe!