A Peruvian Market and Shaman Shop Tour (The Second Part is Crazy!) : The Renegade Health Show Episode #606

Tuesday Jul 6 | BY |

It’s not often you get to spend time in a Peruvian market with a Q’ero shaman and a doctor (Dr. J. E. Williams) who’s spent 40 years studying native cultures and has worked under Bernard Jensen…

In this video, we give you a taste of the San Pedro Market in Cusco, Peru.

In the second half it gets really crazy, and in fact, if you’re sensitive to seeing dead animals, please only watch the first part. Shamanism sometimes isn’t pretty.

Your question of the day: Have you seen a market like this? Where?

1. heatherp says:

I’ve been to those markets (everything was so lovely and fresh) and the witches’ market in La Paz in Bolivia where they have the same talimans – llama foetus, condor wings and armadillos as they are Quechua Indians too. Those shops have a definite ‘pong’ about them.

Also the mint they were talking about – Muna Muna is also very good for respiratory problems. Wish I could find it in Australia.

2. Great video guys! It brought back memories from when I was there last year.. I had a great Superfood smoothie in the mercado!!

3. heatherp says:

oops I meant talismans.

4. Estella says:

Yes, I have. I grow up in Colombia and the fruit, vegetable and meat markets are like that. It’s a nice experience… everything is fresh and earthy! I miss it!

5. LeAnn says:

Can you PLEASE address pH. A raw food diet tends to drive my pH too alkaline. Everyone is so obsessed with “acid is bad, alkalinizing is good” but I don’t beleive this is always true. You can be TOO alkaline. what are your thoughts on the best time of day to check, what it should be, urine/saliva number mean different things etc. Question of the day: Do you check your urine and saliva pH and what do you do with that information? Thanks so much:)

6. Jon says:

Yes, I have been to a market like this; in my own city in Romania! It’s so nice to be able to get fresh, healthy, local foods.

Kevin, what is your opinion on Himalayan salt lamps, for example, for emf’s? My personal experience is that, placed by the computer, they seem to help reduce fatigue, eye fatigue, and keep your energy and focus at a good level. In general, they seem to clean the air, and help with headaches. They also create an awesome calming atmosphere with their orange light. I love them and we have one in almost every room of our house.

7. Paula says:

No, I have never been outside the US – the farmers market here in Oregon is as close as I’ve been to an outdoor earthy experience like that ;-P Looks neat!

This may sound extremely untraveled and stupid but I’ve noticed that a lot of the Peruvian’s look – well, chunky by American standards. They eat an all natural diet it looks like. If you transplanted them here people would think of them as fat and high risk for diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Sometimes is it just genetics and not diet? Do they worry about weight at all? (Is our worry about weight in this country just odd?)

Cool vid – thanks 😀

8. Sarah says:

I’ve experienced exotic open markets in Jerusalem, Israel and yes, they too have gross dead animals hanging everywhere. But what a fascinating experience. The open market you filmed reminded me of one I went to in Canada and another one in England.

9. KAREN BEATTIE says:

NO BUT IAM GETTING INTERESTED IN YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS. WOLF BERRIES, NINGXIA RED, THROMIN FOR MY HYPOTHYROID. WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE ENJOY YOUR TIME IN SOUTH AMERICA AND BRING BACK THE GOODIES FOR YOUR HEALTH!

10. Melina says:

In response to Paula-
    I did not notice the other Peruvians in the video, but as for the Q’ero shaman he did not look overweight to me. He did have a broader face than what we are more accustomed to seeing in America. If you read Weston Price’s book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration it would help explain why this is. Basically, cultures that still eat closer to their ancestral traditional diet have strong, broad bone structures. There dental arches are wider, which allows all their teeth to come in straight. Their cheekbones tend to be more developed and wide. Women’s hips are wider too, allowing easy childbirth. I highly recommend reading Dr. Price’s book to understand this more fully.

11. Natasha says:

Yep, I saw shrunken HUMAN heads in a market in La Paz, Bolivia. Now, that was a little freaky!

12. Kristine says:

I have lived abroad most of my life and shopped at outdoor/farmer markets most of it too. Being a bit outgoing, I usually become pretty friendly with my local farmers and at least visit them once and while. They need to be shown appreciation! Come to think of it, even as a kid we always bought produce at farmer’s markets and stands and our eggs were brought over to the house on a weekly basis by our local ‘egg man’. Without segue, it is fun to watch you guys discover the world first hand. Have a safe trip.

13. Lorien says:

I have been to open air markets in India and Sri Lanka. They are amazing. There are so many vendors I’m not sure how any of them make any money but I suppose it’s like here in America, folks find someone they like and frequent them from then on. Lot’s of produce but also everything else a person might need. Lot’s of dead animals but lots of live ones as well. No animal control there, even the livestock has free run of the roads. At least in India, I don’t remember if Sri Lanka was that way. Stunning countries, I’ve wanted to see Mexico and South America sense I was a little girl. I grew up in Calif. next to the border and have always thought the culture and the people were beautiful.

14. Tamikko says:

No I haven’t but I knew it was out there. I think it was incredibly interesting. I love to see how others eat and live. There’s probably some little known cures there that we should all know about 🙂

15. I have been to Peru for 5 weeks in 2007. When I went to Iquitos I went to a Market like that. Absolutely RAWsome. They even sold Ayahuasca in bottles. I couldn’t believe the knowledge of the natives. Just AMAZING!!!!

16. Jasmine says:

yes. Traveled all over mexico for 6 weeks between march and may. I blogged about it here: http://www.myworldofraw.blogspot.com

I continue to document my life as a raw foodist on the road (right now I’m in Portland, ME heading up to Canada)

I used one of your recipes on my travels and mentioned your show in this post:

If you mention my blog in your show that would be much appreciated!

love you guys.

17. Diana says:

I was at a market in Fiji! It wasn’t as nice as this and didn’t have the variety at all. There were no tables either.. the people sat on blankets on the ground and spread their vegetables out over the blanket. It was very different!!

18. Yes, they are all over Mexico, I’m from La Huasteca Potosina, and last time I was in Cd. Valles I even got raw cacao beans. It’s amazing.

19. john says:

Their vegetable and fruit market is A1 but their ungodly beliefs in lama fetus ,etc. and purchasing material goods to make sacrifices to please mother earth or the gods,is what I would expect from a country going to hell in a hand basket who do not believe in what Jesus Christ did on the Cross of Calvary for them. These people as well as All people need Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.Amen.

20. peggy says:

This sure brought back memories. Have been to several markets in latin american and I’ve been to the market in Cusco next to the rail station that’s similar to this one. One of the astounding things for me was to learn that the market vendors are comprised of folks who bring their goods from far and wide (like the coconuts in your vid) and it’s not a local growers type of market. We met folks who had traveled for days to get to the market with their goods and would stay a week at a time and then go back home for more–the native version of unsustainability on a relative scale.

Since I’m fluent in Spanish, I took the Spanish-speaking tour at Machu Picchu, avoiding the crowds of the English tours and also getting much deeper insight as the tour was guided by a Quechua Indian. Also did the same with taxi-driven tours of outlying areas–get the local lowdown. Stay away from the larger groups of American tourists and partake more of the local culture and color.

hope you guys continue to have a fabulous trip and deepen your spiritual connectionwith source and with pachamama. I’d stay away from the Ayahuasca mentioned in the posts unless you want a real purge.

21. Shira says:

What a cultural experience and neat to see abundance of marketplace foods and herbs. I was wondering if you have come across any superfoods on your walk about? Like Maca root or others?
    The show today was like a combination “Bizarre Foods” meets Farmer’s market, very enjoyable….nice to see more of what your up to there.

22. Carolyn R. says:

In the video someone mentioned what the fresh horsetail was used for, but I couldn’t catch it.
    I know it is good for hair and nails because of silica, right?

But i am interested in what they do with it.
    thanks.

23. Cindy in Marin says:

Fascinating show of your trip abroad! Annmarie looked so cute in her knit cap.

I’ve also seen similar markets like this outside of Tel Aviv and in Old City of Jerusalem (the “shuk”) minus the animal fetuses. Wasn’t into health then- I would appreciate it now so much more.

24. Sue Paterson says:

I have been to these markets in Cusco. Pretty awesome experience.

25. nancy says:

Wow — this was sooo interesting, thank you!

26. Isabelle says:

Hi K & Am! Looks & sounds like you are really having a fabulous time.
    I was at the same market in Cusco & thought how sterile (by comparison) the nice market is where I live in France. South America is the way to go! Markets in India are also awesome!
    One of the funniest experiences I had though, was in a supermarket in Piura in N. Peru.I went in there to look at the varieties of potatoes & saw that they sold coca tea, coca powder and tons of herbal medicines, right at the supermarket! I took a picture and of course immediately bought coca tea & coca powder which I drank in my morning blended juice. I have great stories from Peru – I loved it! – the food is the best I have ever had and its the country of highest vibration I have been to.

27. Barbara says:

Just a departure from the other comments.
    I have some Madagascar Cinnamon. It’s organic and from your description the coloring is the same. So the question is, do they grow the Ceylon Cinnamon in other countries?
    Also, I have to say the price was half for the same amount.
    I also have some labeled Vietnamese Cinn. but that is the dark color you say is the Cassia.
    I imagine the different types can be grown in other parts of the world. Especially in such a global market. How many types are there??
    What is your take on this.
    Thank you.

28. stephanie says:

AAhhhhh….Morocco a place where you’re bound to bump into a calf’s head bobbing from a bars held by men walking though the market. The aisles are lines with brilliantly colored spices and shaman/healers sell their herbs and paraphinalia abound.

Brazil! Candomble, the Afro-Brasilian religion is often infused with catholisism and you can buy your herbs for healing and offerings to the Orixas (nature spirits) in the same place you buy a cell phone. There is a blend of old and new world in rural parts of Brasil. You’ll take natural organic-so to speak- herbs and the shaman will tell you to drink nestle chocolate as an offering to your Orixa! Weird mix there!

QUESTION! Did you, Kevin, and Anmarie take vaccinations/shots before going to Peru? If you were going to Africa (Congo) would you?

Thanks!

29. David says:

I have been to markets like this in Costa Rica and the Muslem quater in Jerusalem. They are quite fun. Thanks for the video.

30. jos says:

Yes in China in a country market – pretty scary too! everything is mixed there the fruits, vegetables, live animals from toads, snakes and chicken, etc… that are prepared on the spot to order Not for the sensitives! Also their medicinal stands and shops are so weird and amazing with all the jars, herbs and extract or powders.

31. Sue Rushford says:

OMG, Anne Marie looks adorable in that little knit cap! And I just love your friend’s colorful cap – gorgeous!

Yes, it seems like most of the rest of the world has more open air markets than the US – we just have WalMart. There was Namdaemun Market in Seoul, Korea (I was sickened from the smells of dead fish/animals) which was enormous, and the Souks in Marrakech, Morocco that stand out in my memory, but there was also an open markets in Merida, Mexico in the Zocalo on Sundays – not sure about Valencia, Venezuela – got Montezuma’s revenge there & ended up taking prescription Cypro (was desperate) – wondering what I could have taken instead that would have been more natural.

32. Marcia says:

I think you should consider organizing guided excursions (by you & AnnMarie) to Costa Rica and/or Peru. I would definitely want to attend.

33. Suzanne says:

Yes…many fascinating markets throughout the world..Central America..South America..Asia..that’s where the “real” people are. We have so much to learn from others. Thanks for sharing..makes me want to take off again…

34. vickie says:

John, please keep your religious beliefs to yourself-especially in trashing another country. Uncalled for on this blog!

35. Cherie says:

I have never been to a market but that looked like what was described to me by our Missionaries in Cambodia.

36. Zoe Raine Simmons says:

Hey! Can’t wait to try the cinnamon!
    But.. I have a broccoli question!
    How do you guys prepare your broccoli so that it’s easier to digest and you don’t end up gassy? Briefly steaming it seems to help only a little..
    Thanks!

37. Barbara says:

Vicki, Thank you, for telling John to back off.
    I thought to ingnore him, in hopes he woud go away. People like John do things like that and enjoy the controversy they create. The arrogance of people like that and their “my religion is better than yours” syndrome is the cause of more death and destruction of indigenous peoples of the world than anything else. They too are Gods’ children.

38. Janet says:

Yes I have been to this exact market and it was awesome! The put some molasses like syrup into the juices down there.

I have also been to the open markets in Iquitos, Peru and in Athens, Greece! So awesome!

39. Christine says:

I visited the market in Merida Venezuela, it looked somewhat like this it has three levels, lots of fruits, vegetables, flowers, everything you can think about, but I did not see any dead animals.

40. have you guys noticed how much we want to be like the gringos??? and we are loosing all the good that a primitive cultur has!!

41. Jan says:

No I have never seen anything like that except for on TV.

Makes me want to go right now and see for myself. Then come the barriers – language, no one wants to go with me, etc…

42. LuAnn Agustin says:

My husband and I experienced the markets similar to this in the Philippines during our honeymoon over 30 years ago, (he is Filipino, I am white-bread American suburban. Naturally, I was culture shocked!) I think I would appreciate these types of markets much more now with a few more years under my belt, (and the Western-culture blinders taken off my eyes).

43. Mary Artemis says:

Yeah, seen all kinds of weird stuff indonesia, singapore, malaysia, africa. I really like the herbal nutrition part here. Thanks for sharing it and showing us the markets. Very interesting to see the fresh herbs and learn about them. Making an infusion seems the healthiest without damaging the herb in too hot water.
    Mary from Stamford, CT

44. Yes, Seoul Korea, the old East Gate Market in 1969-1970, all of this and more…

45. Cinthia says:

Yes, I have see a market like this. I grew up in Mexico and there you have this type of markets in pretty much every corner. I’m happy to say that I grew up eating organic foods from markets like these!