How to Deal with Sensitive and Painful Teeth with Dr. Jameth Sheridan : The Renegade Health Show Episode #605

Monday Jul 5 | BY |

A lot of people when they change their diet to raw food or even some “healthy” diets start to have problems with their teeth…

In this episode, Dr. Jameth Sheridan explains his own experience with teeth decay on the raw food diet as well as how to deal with sensitive and painful teeth.

(Sorry about the “Tipon” and “Thursday” deal with this video! It is Pisac and it is Monday!)

Your question of the day: What do you think of these Rawkathon videos?

Be sure to pick up your copy of the Rawkathon – over 14 hours – for up to $100 off! This special deal lasts until July 5th, 2010.

Here’s where you can go to read more… http://www.rawkathon.com/special

1. anthony says:

Your videos and presentation is getting better all the time. Even the people you interview are getting more balanced in their beliefs and suggestions. Maybe I am too.
    a

2. James says:

Interesting comments about orthorexia nervosa (correct eating nervousness). The people he mentioned are probably just the type of people the doctor in Colorado who coined the term saw. I feel like brushing my teeth now, regardless of what I eat. Thanks.

3. albert says:

very informative episodes keep it up

4. James says:

Lovely adventure in Peru by the way. It looks like you guys are doing it right! It’s great to see it.

5. Laura says:

Love this. And loved all of the Rawkathon. Jaimeth is very informative. And he has turned on the lightbulb on many health subjects and once again he has done that here in this clip as to why dental decay is so prevalent in raw fooders and what causes it. Very nice. Thanks for running this.

Laura

6. really, really great! Looks like an awesome collection. Thanks for the contribution!! 😉

7. Christine says:

I am sure learning a lot from these videos, I think that they are excellent.

8. Sue Rushford says:

Great interview – this is the first year I did not purchase the Rawkathon tho it was phenomenal the first few years – only cause I’ve been an Inner Circle member for so long & still have not made the time to listen to 80% of the podcasts that I’m paying for – also bought David Wolfe’s Longevity Now & have barely started listening to that – what would be ideal is if I would take the time to figure out how to get all these podcasts on my iPod so I could listen to them while running – soooo need to do that. Or having the option to purchase them on CD would be even better – cause I am not sure how to download. I do hope to listen to it eventually tho.

Yes, I’ve been extremely concerned about my teeth – I’m a high-fruit high-raw mostly whole-foods vegan who has been grinding my teeth for most of my life, so nearly all the enamel is worn away, and I will need crowns on ALL my teeth in about ten years. I, too, had very few cavities as a kid – all mine were from chewable ascerola vitamin C tabs i my opinion. I just had all but a small one of my amalgam fillings replaced by composite. And two of my teeth chipped – I believe due to low minerals. They told me I was going to get periodontal disease if I did not start flossing regularly – so once I did, my dental health improved immensely. Now I go every 3 months for a cleaning.

9. Sheryl says:

I was 100% fruitarian for over a year and had no problems with the teeth. But the intensity of the detox is tremendous. You have to be a very strong person to handle it. I went back to having green smoothies and green juices and salads to slow down the process so I could live normally. But the Peace I experienced on a Fruitarian Diet was awesome. My mind was not in this world. I felt no pain in the body at all it was like I had no body at times. I really don’t know how to explain it in words. But I personally believe that urine or blood testing should not be done. This is a human process and has been created by the minds of medicine not God. Take you mind off the body and put it on God. Such things as testing only worries and confuses the mind and creates in the body stress.

10. Adriana says:

All your interviews are fenomenal! I like that each of those people are sharing their ideas in an unformal and super friendly way….I would like to congratulate you for the way you asambled famous and loyal raw-vegan people gathering these great info regarding all aspects of this life style. Thank you for the special offer.

Lucky you to experience those places soaked in history…..

11. John says:

wowww such amazing videos. nothing really conflicting (thus far) so beneficial

12. James says:

Great Video Kevin.

Very on point for us. The biggest issues our vegan family has are teeth, B-12, and cheating, exactly the topics you addressed here.

We want to be optimally healthy but can’t seem to put all the pieces together, yet. It seems like there should be one definitive source to go to, to get all the perfect answers but right now we are all still fumbling around a bit.

THANKS !!

13. josanne says:

Love the info from these interviews! Today’s episode was especially informative as our teeth are so important to our overall health and vitality.

Thanks for the Peruvian videos!! I can almost feel that mountain air! Take care, Josanne

14. Sharon says:

Loving it Kevin! That was a great event!

15. Guylaine says:

Thanks Kevin for bringing great information on your daily show. I really enjoyed the interview with Jameth Sheridan. He’s one of my favorite teacher. I got the Rawkathon videos and it’s a good revision.

16. Estella says:

I had listened to the free Rawkathon and I agree with Kevin you forget about all the good information. Thank you

17. RW says:

The Rawkathon was a life saver for me when the first aired. I was sick ending up in Hospital emergency room server times with no answer as to what was medically wrong with my health from my Doctors. After listening to Rawkathon interviews and taking in all the info and changing around a few life style issues, my life change to the better dramatically. Thanks Kev!

18. Brigitte says:

The Rawkathon sessions give wonderful information. Each person interviewed adds a piece to the puzzle of correct eating and health. The collective knowledge is phenomenal.

I would appreciate better deals on the “hard copy” DVD’s because it would inspire me to watch them along with my time on the treadmill. The cost of the podcasts is more than amazing but I am more visually oriented and it would be great to be able to watch these sessions and get them at a better price.

19. Isabelle says:

Hi Annmarie and Kevin!
    I was in Machu Picchu last November. I would have loved to meet up with you there! What an experience that was. Peru was spectacular including the food – amazing & so beautifully presented no matter where you ate….
    Thanks for the clips by Jameth Sheridan. Very useful & interesting!
    Food for thought: the Incas did not trade gold. They wore it was ornament but did not trade it because you can’t eat it. I think that is amazing!!
    I am certain you visited that amazing laboratory of the Incas where they grew food on different levels, the most important of all the circular gardens being Moray. I found that as fascinating as MP….The Incas were very knowlegable & innovative when it came to growing food…a whole lot more intelligent than we are…well, at least some of us are learning & trying to change….my next project is to start growing food ….
    Have a great time! Love and light from
    Isabelle

20. Evelyn says:

Awesome infrrmation and timely reminders. I love all of your episodes and share them with friends. Keep up the great work Kevin!

21. Mary says:

Wow, thanks for all of these interviews. I have had bad teeth all my life. I grind my teeth and the orthodontist even told me it was really bad.
    My teeth have been sensitive for years and I was using the Sensodine toothpaste because the dentists said it would help. It didn’t. When I started finding out about real health I got a recipe to make tooth powder from 3 T baking soda and 1 tsp sea salt and my teeth are not sensitive now. I put a bit of the powder into my hand and add a bit of hydrogen peroxide to it to brush my teeth too.
    I do have a question, though. I cracked a tooth many years ago. The dentist I had then didn’t put a crown on it and just filled it in. About 5 years ago, I had the amalgam removed and now this new dentist is telling me that it is decaying inside and I need a root canal. I DO NOT want that and would like to know if there is an alternative because I have read some bad things can happen from that.

22. Paul L says:

Love’em so much that I’ve actually ordered the package.

23. Jan says:

Love the videos!

The price of the hard copy is discounted but still pricy. The other version will not work as I can not download them. I live in a rual place where the only internet site available is a dish. If I download anything more than the daily video they shut the service down for me saying I have used up the fair access policy. It takes 24 hours before they turn service on. On the other hand I am sure the information is well worth the price and I am still deciding if I want to spent the money on this or not.

Silver filling contain mercury and composite fillings have BPA. Any ideas for a safe filling?

composite

24. Carolyn says:

I love listening to these different experts and their opinions. I have learned some things that I am doing perfect and other things that I can do to enhance my vegan existence.

Note; Your Italian animated personality is great. It entertains me, makes me smile and laugh and keeps me interested. Thanks for what youall (Texan) are doing.
    Dallas/Forth Worth, Texas

25. Sarah says:

The Rawkathon videos are so awesome. I heard them two years ago. In fact that was when I became a raw foodie. It came right at the perfect time when I was researching information on raw food. They made a huge impact on my life. Thank you so much for sharing them again. I sure wish I could purchase the package but being unemployed I have to be careful with what little money I have.

26. nick says:

I am enjoying the videos very informative.

27. MARY says:

I and have hand tooth problems for a long time, I can’t afford to see a dentist. I hope that his ideas will help. Atleast I can sorta bite food. Carrots are the worst. Maybe I can grate some things up. Even fresh pineapple is a problem as well as apples. Thank You for the help. Only partial raw eater.

28. jasmyn says:

hey peeps:) what don’t i hold sacred;) almost always rocks somewhere on me when i’m out and about.. feathers… currently my flute.. and rife machine because it too is good medicine;) so happy for ya’ll on your sacred journeys:)

29. jasmyn says:

oopsie.. meant for this comment to go on another post;) loving the rawkathons

30. Kuru says:

The Rawkathon was great originally in 2007, and it still is. It was a great inspiration in my raw food journey. I bought the downloads then, but just started downloading them today! Thanks again for a great production.

Re teeth: if you can’t do anything else after eating, a hearty rinse with water is effective. Really swish it around and through your teeth. Also, I have had miraculous results massaging my gums with Stem-u-dents or rubber tips a couple of times daily. Really go after the painful areas; it’s like a neuromuscular massage, and your gums will become amazingly strong in amazingly short order! And that will make your teeth so happy and stable.

31. RJ says:

I have been enjoying these videos, as I can’t afford to purchase them. This one was particularly interesting for me. Thank you, Kevin and Annmarie, for sharing the videos with us!

I would like to share a few tooth tools that I use for my teeth. I do not go to the dentist for regular cleaning (I think we all can save money by doing it ourselves!) Maybe most of us, anyway.

I do not get cavities anymore and have 3 more amalgam fillings that I’d like removed. I have had 4-5 root canals because of poor tooth care when I was younger. I should have listened to my father when he said, “Go brush your teeth!”

My favorite TOOTH CLEANING TOOLS these days are:

DenTek’s EASY BRUSH
    (these are fantastic for adult teeth that are not spaced too tightly)

(a fantastic gum massage)

(a very healthy whitener!!)

Remember, if your gums bleed when you floss…you need better tools and habits… (or maybe give up smoking)…not a pricey dentist who will want to give you Xrays, floride treatments, and expensive tooth whitening treatments. And the older we become…the more prone to gum disease we are.

Use your own best judgement about who you should get help from for your own bloody gums and please don’t forget about the teeth of your loving pets!!!!
    🙂

Because your pet is domesticated by humankind and is fed a diet of processed food, your pet needs your special help with the care of it’s teeth. And that help should come from you.
    🙂

(thank you for taking care of your pet’s teeth along with your own teeth!)

🙂

32. RJ says:

I forgot to include my favorite tooth cleaning video for Johnny 5 and other cats…

🙂

33. Aziyza says:

Great series of health questions many of us seldom find answers for. I have opted out of relationsips for reasons that included partner’s poor dental health- just could not sit back and watch the neglect. Especially affirming to hear the connection between teeth and body health.

Please give some insight into the HEMP protein- and the digestibility / nutrient availabilty. It is a newer source of available protein and I have digestive concerns- for many years we trusted soy protein and now we know it is not an option.

Blessings- kiss patchamama and acknowledge the great mountains for all

34. Really great insight on the issue of raw vegans and dental health issues. I’ve been wondering why we have so much trouble with our teeth, I guess we just love our fruit and dates!

Janice
    RAW Foundation

35. Michael T. says:

I appreciate the rawkathon segments you’ve been sharing with us. I enjoyed them when they were first aired a few years ago, and it is wonderful to see them again.

But I think you should consider doing new interviews, since some things have changed in the past few years. For example, there is new research about the dangers of excess fructose consumption, which can lead to fatty liver disease, gout, etc. So, if you were to interview Dr. Mercola you could include this in a revised rawkathon.

There is so much research being done and new discoveries being made. Please consider doing a new rawkathon so you can offer us more up to date information.

But of course, gems like today’s show with Jameth, with such common sense ideas as brush and floss your teeth any time you eat sweet food, are timeless.

Michael T.

36. Lynette says:

I enjoy the videos very much….I am pretty new to ‘raw’ and appreciating all the help and info here. Keep up the great work.

37. Jana says:

I’ve really enjoyed the segments of rawkathon over the last week. I’ve been perplexed by the B12 issue. Some authors say that ONLY animal food sources provide the necessary material for the intrinsic factor to absorb it deep in our intestinal tract. I’m glad to hear Jameth Sheridan say plant sources can provide B12 that we are capable of absorbing. (I hope he’s not one of the ‘cheaters’ he alludes to!) 🙂 I had also heard that granite dust scattered on garden soil would help remineralize the soil. I wondered if that was true, and one of the interviews last week seemed to support that idea. If I weren’t so hard pressed for money all the time, I would order the rawkathon videos without hesitation.

38. Kathryn says:

I find a lot of the information you put out – very interesting and honest.

Jameth is an interesting man and what he says about B12 is very interesting. I’ve tried his Revitaphi formula – seemed to affect my dreams in a nice way.

Anyway, fruit is full of fructose which is a very hard sugar to digest – fatty liver anyone?

I have found the best thing for teeth is organic raw milk – when my daughter was younger she had the honor of drinking raw milk for a short time and even if she only brushed her teeth once a week – no problems.

Later raw milk became too hard to get and she stopped drinking it on a regular basis and then dental problems became a huge issue.

We need organic calcium to build strong teeth and raw milk is the best source as far as I can tell.

39. Laura Sholtz says:

Hi guys,

Where’s the best place to get your minerals tested?

Thanks,
    Laura

40. Dave says:

My message is for Kathryn – How can you bash fruit and then in the same breath talk about how good milk is? Mentioning milk in the same sentence is an insult to wonderful fruit everywhere..

41. Sanjula says:

I loved the Rawkathon.
    It was just at the beginning of my raw food journey when I heard through Frederik Pateneau about it – and so I came to know you guys and still follow you :)))

42. Kat Parker says:

I was left wanting more information about how to keep teeth healthy or to get them healthy naturally. He got off on a tangent about fruitarians and B12 and forgot the question.

43. Melissa says:

Kevin thank you so much for the video from Pisac! It’s so stunning!
    I am LOVING the rawkathon videos. I’ve learned so much already. I really appreciate that you are sharing them with us.
    I really liked this video about fruit and your teeth..very informative!

44. Rosemary says:

I totally enjoy the videos because they are very informative. Dr. Sheridan’s video provided extremely important information with regard to the health of our teeth. Where I thought it fell short was how to increase our B12 levels. I know he said one can do this through superfoods and probiotics, but this was too vague. He did mention spirulina; however, I read somewhere that the B12 compounds may be analogues and not the actual B12 compound which can cause further depletion of B12 because the compounds compete with one another. Kevin, can you help me out with this?

45. Beth says:

I’ve been enjoying the Rawkathon videos you have been posting lately. Forgot how great the information is.
    This particular video is a good reminder for me to keep some Tooth Swish in my bag / purse 🙂

46. texmex says:

I was a vegetarian for one year and started having all kinds of issues with cavities. Stopped a month ago by eating raw cream, eggs and meat once a month, my teeth are stable, color is coming back and I feel much better.

I read the book from Ramiel Nagel Cure tooth decay naturally and I feel it contains real important information for tooth care. http://www.curetoothdecay.com/

I loved the recent article on regrowing teeth from Natural News.

47. Deborah says:

Fantastic interview Kevin – thanks! It’s always a treat to learn from Jameth – please may we hear more from him!

48. Paul says:

i love his phrase ‘ throw the baby out with the bathwater’……….. he never fails to slip it in – class

49. Barbara says:

Love these videos! Very informative. Look forward to them everyday. Also like the info about your trip as you introduce the videos. Great job.

50. john says:

Kevin excellent interview!!!

51. jules says:

I didn’t get much help out of this regarding my teeth. I am not a fruitarian and don’t even eat fruit every day. My teeth are super sensitive and I have severely receding gums. I brush and floss daily without flouride. my gums rarely bleed. what can I do to correct my sensitive teeth, even air passing over them can hurt, and correct the gum recession??

52. thank you Kevin for your show live in Peru: you look good and the landscape looks amazing. Why did you pick up this part of the year to travel, because it is winter there instead hot summer in North hemisphere.
    Yes, I love your Rawthaton replay despite they are very basic. I would be interested to get a short lecture how the teeth get formed and get protected with notion of biology.
    Have a good trip
    Jerome, riding in Germany my bike

53. Cherie says:

Love the Rawkathon videos. I do not know how you were able to edit just 10 minutes of information.

54. Tanja says:

Gorgeous location, and thanks for all the amazing info, I went on a 10 day juice feast and experienced tooth sensitivity BIG TIME what was recommended was using tooth soap, as it is less abrasive as paste,
    I actually used Dr. Brommers peppermint to wash my mouth out instead of buying a brand of tooth soap (I use that for everything else why not teeth) and it was great! Now I don’t curse either ha ha ha..

55. Marielle says:

Hi Kev and Ann!

To answer your question, here’s a thought.
    I find the Rawkathon videos very educative and thought provoking. They make me consider angles I would not have otherwise.

Everytime I see an expert give a talk on these subjects of new healthy living, I can’t help but wonder:

A lot of them look very young. I know some to not be thirty yet. Some others, of course just look very young, I suppose. It’s not that I am prejudiced about age. It’s just that when someone speaks as an authority in these subjects, and are still in their twenties, how can they show the long term efficacy of their method, whatever it may be? At that age, we can eat nothing but marshmallows and still look healthy. (OK, I’m kidding, but you get my drift)

I guess my question is really: What does it look like when you do it for, say, fourty years?

Just imagine the strenght of your argument when you can show with your own body the immediate and long term results of a cutting edge healthy living technology!

But I guess that’s how new this all is.

56. Cheryl says:

I very much like what you are doing. I listen to them while I exercise. I think you and Ann Marie do a fantastic job. Blessings in the Lord to you. Cheryl