David Wolfe on Superfood Gardening : The Renegade Health Show Episode #604

Friday Jul 2 | BY |

Hey, hey!

Back on regular schedule… finally!

I’ll publish the video that was supposed to go up on Thursday next Monday. It’s a good one with Dr. Jameth Sheridan on teeth care.

For today, I’m going to show a video with David Wolfe talking about his superfood gardening techniques.

Enjoy…

Your question of the day: Have you been to Machu Picchu?

Be sure to pick up your copy of the Rawkathon – over 14 hours – for $49.95 (digital)… This special deal lasts until July 5th, 2010.

Here’s where you can go to read more… http://www.rawkathon.com/special

1. Pat says:

I’m a bit ruffled by the comments regarding the ‘organic’ foods Dr. Wolfe says are nothing. If I’ve put down the hot dog, and picked up the leaf and it’s still not ‘good enough’, it’s scary. Another level of incompetence I’m feeling about this whole raw thing.

2. Kathryn says:

No but I have heard it is awesome from friends of mine that have been!

3. Gilligan says:

I really like that David mentioned his intimate relationship with his plants, with them coming to him in his dreams! David reminded me of the amazing experiment done at Findhorn, Scotland, where the humans were guided by Spirit to work with nature beings and devas to transform the landscape into a beautiful organic garden.

4. heatherp says:

Yes I’ve been to Machu Picchu. Magic place. Even with the ‘tourists’ you refer to Kevin. I still found a nice quite spot in the sun to meditate in and was kept company by lizards and a Vizcacha (Chinchilla type animal).

Pat @1 – the organic leaf is still better for you than the hotdog. David is just saying that we can be much much better. I live in Australia and the soils here are extremely deficient so I couldn’t get the mineral soils in my garden like David talks about. I would have to import them.

5. John says:

I have not been to Machu:) Looks totally totally great:)

I would love to see the entire David Wolfe interview…

Thanks you guys…?

6. Veronika says:

It would be awesome if you did a video all about how to get the most mineral rich and sustainable organic garden – maybe even cover permaculture techniques? Like you could interview someone who could share techniques that we can directly apply to our gardens. So far I’m using compost and OceanGrown Solution, but there’s obviously more. Like where would we get the rock dust? Do we have to go to a creek and get some, or can you buy it somewhere? I’m also looking into companion planting.

I haven’t been to Machu Piccu, but my boyfriend has. It was a life changing experience for him.

7. Peg says:

I have never been to Machu Picchu but it is definitely on our “bucket list”.

There is so much to learn about gardening–I wish I lived next door to David. 🙂

8. Y Yes U 2, I have been in that very magical mist in which you both stand!!! It’s interesting the company I kept during that time also happens to be your guest today.. ha… Hugs.. Enjoy HEAVEN!!!

9. erika says:

I love listening to David he is so passionate it is very inspirational. Gets me excited! and No I have not been! I so wish.

10. Koal says:

Pat,
    Fruits and veggies will ALWAYS be better than a hot dog whether it’s organic, not organic or from David Wolfe’s garden 🙂

Machu Picchu looks stunnin’! No I haven’t been.

11. Mike Lund says:

No not yet been…
    I love David Wolfe and you guys! Awesome episode. How fun and beautiful it looks there. Enjoy your time! Can’t wait to see you guys at the next Longevity Conference.

Blessings and safe travels!

Mike Lund

12. Thanks to David and you two also-always feel the love and the information is priceless!
    MP on my list!

13. donna says:

Hooray! I’m so glad he is addressing soil quality and nutrient density in food, and I’m glad I have an awesome soil expert in my community- Calvin Bey, Harmony Gardens. I took his Organic Gardening for nutrient density this spring and am taking first steps to restore and replenish my soil, in a double dig garden patch. I also added paramagnetic rock. I have lots of birds singing to my plants all the time thank goodness.

14. donna says:

http://harmonygardens.blogspot.com/ if you’re interested in what Calvin is saying.

15. Karen says:

I really wanted to watch this video, but for some reason I cannot see it!

Any help there would be appreciated!

Karen

16. Misty says:

Hi! I havent been, but would love to.

I have a question, why do we call it “green smoothies” when i look at the recipe and about 75 percent of the smoothie is actually fruit, with a handful of spinache, or some other greens the majority of the time..its kind of funny actually.

I was trying to eat mostly greens and i looked up so many “green” smoothies were actually fruit composed..just my thoughts!

17. Ed says:

Hi, Machu Picchu is a climb that people train for,the two of you get there and all I can say is Ann marie had a smile Ajax could not wipe off.Not a show is rolling smile, but a head to toe smile. good stuff. The gardening that David is trying to achieve is not cost efficiant but he is still right for a purfect world script.Adding azomite and zeolite clays for mineral and electric energy, along with active bacteria (which I get from my aquarium filters,rain water and molasses)along with my worm dirt and miricle worms still left me lacking YIELD.The cost and care from a totally organic garden is a flat dissapointment. But soil ammenaties and liquid feed increase the YIELD by leaps still have friends tasteing the best they ever tried. Perfect No , the lack of patience on my part knowing it takes ten slow generations to maximize genetic expression makes me want to buy seed from David Wolfe at a later date, but a push from NPK fertilizers makes sense to me now. Machu Picchu thanks for todays show.

18. Erin-Elyse says:

No, never have been to South America. But, NOW Machu Picchu is definitely on my list of places to go. Beautiful place! Love to hike!
    Wondering what is the best way to pulverize rock to dust?

19. I can’t recall this ever being covered so I have a question:

What are natural ways/what do you suggest for speeding up your metabolism? Is this really possible or are some of us just “stuck”?

Long time watcher and fan guys, Keep it up! <3 -Jamie

20. Jonathan says:

@ Misty: I know what you mean about “green” smoothies. I can’t seem to find a recipe with a good amount of fruit. So, I invented my own! Place about 1/2 cup of filtered water in the blender, followed by several handfuls of spinach or other greens. Put in 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of raw organic stevia (Navitas Naturals is what I use). Add the juice from half a lemon and/or one pineapple core sliced. If you want, you can eliminate the fruit completely, although it may not taste too great. And there you have a real GREEN smoothie! :o)

This spring I put a small garden in our back yard. We seem to have terrible soil, but I have been using plant/vegetable/fruit scraps and seaweed as fertiliser. The seaweed seems to work best, and I know it is high in minerals. It would be interesting to know more about how the average person can make rock dust, and know which rocks are best, to put on their soil.

21. Jonathan says:

*I meant I can’t find a recipe WITHOUT a good amount of fruit.

22. Kristen Schriver says:

Machu Picchu is on the list – if I can find a way around the tourists —- I’ve heard you can go around the back side — hardly anyone goes this way because it is a lot more physically demanding. I think that’s my route.

I have also been using Ocean Grown solution. Standard organic fertilizes only carry approx 15 primary minerals and Ocean Grown carries 90 – all the primary and trace minerals. The vegetables I grow are larger, grow quicker and are more resistant to pests than my pea-patch neighbors. It makes me understand that if you feed the plant what it needs they are healthier and can fend off disease. If we feed our own bodies by these same principles, our bodies are stronger and able to fend off diseases. Organic commercially grown produce may not be toxic BUT it doesn’t mean it’s full of nutrients. This is exactly the reason that vegan/raw foodists need to be careful because if they are constantly eating nutrient deficient vegetables they don’t thrive. It’s the reason the Paleo guys jump up and down about how vegans start thriving once they put grass fed animals back into their diets – because that grass fed meat delivers lots of vitamins and minerals from the grasses (I know – other not so good stuff). To be a successful vegan/raw foodist you have to understand how to get those vitamins/minerals into your diet. It’s why raw foodist are inventing all these super warrior powders, etc. We know it’s unnecessary to ever eat an animal IF we know how – just exactly like David explains – if we can figure out how to grow and eat the most nutrient dense rich foods on the planet.

Thank God for people like David/Kevin who are trying to figure it all out and bring the information to us.

I think I’m headed to the Longevity conference so I can see everyone speak!

Thanks for the interview.

23. Sue Paterson says:

Yes , I have been. Magical.

24. Sharon says:

Haven’t been to Machu Picchu. Wasn’t it David Wolfe who said there’s no washrooms there?

Great episode! It’s nice to hear these little clips again. Please keep the MP3’s as a regular item in your shop! I’d love to listen to them all again but life is really, really, really busy right now!

25. Nick says:

No I haven’t been to Machu Picchu. But I have read Amazon Beaming by Petru Popescu & One River by Wade Davis — two phenomenal books, shedding light on subjects for too long left in darkness. Then of particular interest to travelers of the region, but of peculiar interest, generally, & of highly valuable import. Amazon Beaming is–starngely?–out of print. But copies are readily available from the likes of abebooks.com.

Since my mother was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer I’ve introduced her to as many helpful alternatives as I could find. This included the herb Cat’s Claw. It’s referred to as “the miracle herb from the rainforest of Peru”: http://www.all-natural.com/catsclaw.html The powdered form I got from a local apothecary was labeled “wild crafted”. I sure hope the forests are being protected for their apparent value to future generations & not just being steadily lost to whatever inferior purpose, be that cattle grazing, or whatever. I’ve found this herb to be particularly effective. I easily feel its obvious cleansing effects, but thankfully am not sick enough to note its healing effects. Have you folks tried it, and do you know what other herbs compliment it & which it best not be mixed up with?

26. crow says:

No, I have been to Machu Picchu, but got to see the exhibit at the Natural History Museum in LA. My sister-in-law was in the Peace Corp for 3 years in Peru and had the pleasure of seeing it several times

27. Dan Desmond says:

YES! You guys are bringing back super amazing memories for me. I was there 5 yrs ago & had a most profound experience; one that is with me everyday & which is coming to fruition now. I knew I was supposed to go back to South America & so I did. Just came back from Ecuador six weeks ago & once again….had a life changing experience. There is something profoundly magical there which magnifies intention that i have yet to experience in North America.
    Did you two climb up Wayne Picchu? Have a most blessed trip.

28. thunderclap says:

You can put nutrients /minerals back in soil with seaweed.It contains all we need.I ordered mine on ebay from Ireland. I soaked the dried chopped stuff in a barrel of rainwater for weeks instead of working it dry into the soil and soaked all my raised beds. The plants are gigantic and the taste is out of this world so much of a difference from last years.Also zeolite dug into the soil traps and holds contaminants.

29. Susana says:

John Kohler has a dizzying array of videos on how to convert your lawn into custom-designed growing space for your own optimal nutrition ~ Imagine! Dinner’s not at the farmer’s market ~ It’s right outside your doorways ~ “For Free” ~ (In return for some light investment & exercise, really) ~ AWESOME! ~

30. christina says:

I would like David to expain (in detail) how someone can remineralize their garden as he does . . . what he was saying made alot of sense

31. RJ says:

Thank you so much for sharing the incredible view of Earth!

I wish you both a safe and wondrous 4th of July. Here is a firework for both of you…

🙂

32. Wow. That was awesome! He is totally right on. LOVE his info. Right where we are wanting to go in regards to our garden and soils. Muy importante’! And yes, LOVE is the most important first and last ingredients to put in your garden~ true story!

Some people just cant handle the truth. Its sad, but true. Its like if we don’t like the information, or it makes us uncomfortable, or it challenges us and our thinking, then we disregard it.

Yes, we would be curious to see more info with David on details of building up your soils properly. Does he ever post any of his gardening stuff? I think I heard he has a place on Kauai somewhere?? Be interesting to see his plants.

Thanks! Love,
    C&S

Never been to macchu pichu. But reminds me of the book Celestine Prophecy! LOL. Looks like you guys are havin tons o’ fun!

33. KAREN BEATTIE says:

NO BUT MACHU PICCHU WOULD BE A WONDERFUL PLACE TO VISIT! THE FOOD OF THE COUNTRY MANGO, PAPAYA, AIR AND MOUNTAINS WITH OLD HISTORY HAS TO BE AN UPLIFTING EXPERIENCE!

34. Kimberly says:

Would love to see more of David actually discussing the details of how he grows his food, ie, the calciums he mentioned, how he fertilizes, etc. etc!!

35. Jan says:

The more I listened to David the more questions I have about his way of gardening.

Every time you add things to improve the soil you must be careful not to upset the balance/relationship of other things/minerals in your soil.

Does he have a book or anything available on his techniques? Does he give any information about gardening on the Rawkathon?

Thanks for another great show!

36. Casey and Mateo says:

I love my weeds! Though my husband argues every year that I should grow things in rows and pull the weeds and have some order in the garden, I can not pull the weeds casue I am so happy to eat them! Chick weed, dandilions, plantain all of them, yuum! Why fight to grow broccoli and have to fight bugs and caterpillars when you can grow a beautiful patch of nettles and thrive all year round! ohh for the love of weeds!
    Super food=spiral herb garden.

37. Linda says:

Yes, I have been to Machu Picchu (sp?) a few years ago. I went and took our daughter. We LOVED it! We spent a few days in Aqua Caliente at the base of the area, and really enjoyed the “vibes” there. The local folk as well as the people who were visitors there, they were all interesting. I wish we could have stayed there even longer!

David does speak with passion and it would be great to be able to pick his brain on gardening!

38. Caroline says:

Dude, green smoothies are called “green smoothies” because they look green. the human body needs fruits’ natural sugars to replenish our glycogen stores so we don’t feel exhausted all the time. or depressed, or irritable.
    seriously.

39. Janet says:

yes I have been to Machu Picchu a few years ago. was awesome. Hope you saw everything leading up to going there by train (I am assuming you went by train which is the most popular route). Cuzco is awesome. I am sorry you are not there during Inti Rami (the festival of the Sun on the June solstice), but oh well. You will just have to have fun regardless 🙂 🙂 🙂

40. josanne says:

David Wolfe has such great energy and passion about food, it’s inspiring.

Yes I spent time in Machu Picchu when in 1974, when I was 19. Walked and camped along the Inca Trail for 4 days and finished the trek at Machu Picchu and Agua Caliente. Found it very invigorating being so high in the Andes; the oxygen level is lower and hiking with a backpack was definitely challenging. Loved the experience!

Please keep showing us photo videos of your trip!! Happy travels, Josanne

41. Nicole says:

You two are adorable. Gorgeoes view; never been to Machu Picchu but would love to go!

42. Hey Gang,

I believe David Wolfe is truly on to one of the biggest missing pieces to growing the best, nutrient dense foods conceivable.

Since I believe I have a pretty good understanding of the methods David is talking about and using, I will attempt to fill in some missing gaps and explain a little of what I understand about mineralizing your soils.

Rock Dust and soil mineralization

Using rock dust is one of the best and most efficient ways to re-mineralize your soils. Rock dust is simply finely ground up rock. When rock is ground to a fine powder, the plants are then able to absorb the minerals through the roots. If the minerals are not in the soil, or in the plants’ desired form or not in sufficient quantities, the plant will be deficient in those minerals. Even though a plant can look and seem healthy, often times it is not truly expressing its full genetic expression. This is what I believe David is talking about when he says we are only on step 1 of our understanding about how to truly raise plants that grow to their full genetic expression.

Plants, like humans, use minerals to build necessary defenses and resistance to their environment and predators and to actualize their full genetic expression. If the necessary minerals and trace minerals are missing from the soils, the plant will be unable to essentially be the best that it can be. The same goes for humans. If our food isn’t expressing it’s full potential, how can we expect our bodies to? Plain and simple, we cannot get minerals from plants that do not contain them.

Soil depletion

Studies done by the US department of agriculture on soil mineralization continue to show just how mineral depleted our soils have become.

In 2001, the Journal of Complimentary Medicine stated that USDA statistics show a decline in trace minerals of up to 76% in fruit and vegetables over the period 1940 to 1991. In the 1940s, the lowest mineral and soil fertility levels across the US became the highest levels in the 1970s and the trend continues today. Another important note is that many trace elements (selenium, iodine, copper, manganese, gold, etc) are used up much quicker than the larger macro minerals (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc)and tend to get depleted to levels at or near 0.

43. How to remineralize your soils for best plant and human health

Step 1) Start by adding generous amount of rock dust to your garden soils. David mentions gathering rock dust from many geologic locations around your area because this is the best way to ensure that you have ALL of the necessary minerals and trace minerals. Some formations might be deficient in certain elements so by combining the rock dust made from many different types of formations, you will ensure you have not only all of the needed minerals and trace minerals but many of the different forms of minerals (ie calcium silicate compared to just elemental calcium). Another option for obtaining rock dust is to purchase it from gravel / rock crushing operations and quarries. You can gather your own rocks from around the area to get them crushed or purchase rock dust from multiple sources.

You must keep in mind though that when you start adding rock dust, it will take many years for those particles to break down. The finer the dust, the quicker it will become available to the plants.

Using rock dust in combination with liquid seaweed extracts is a great way to ensure you are obtaining a complete mineral spectrum. Although seaweed has many trace minerals, it is still considered “deficient” because it can only contain the elements needed to express its full potential. Many plants mineral and elemental needs are much different than that of seaweed and require additional elements to be present in the soil.

A list of rock dust sources for purchase from around the world can be found here:

remineralize dot org/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=258

2) Plant green manure crops like red clover. By rotating your crops with a planting of red clover or another similar plant with far reaching tap roots, you will be able to take advantage of subsoil minerals usually not available in the upper soils. By working them into the soil you obtain the minerals that were drawn up from the plant. Many “weeds” have deep rooted tap roots and are able to “tap” into mineral reserves found in the deeper soils and subsoils where they haven’t been depleted. This is what I believe David is talking about when he refers to his superfood nutrient dense weeds.

More information about green manures can be found here:

networkforclimateaction dot org.uk/toolkit/positive_alternatives/food_and_farming/green_manure.pdf

3) Test your soils for mineral and trace mineral levels. By testing your soils, you will then know more about the needed elements for your particular soil. The Albrecht model of soil fertility and testing is a good place to start.

More information about the Albrecht model can be found here:

acresusa dot com/toolbox/reprints/RebuildingSoilFertility_Kinsey10_01.pdf

44. Cherie says:

Never been there, thanks for the beautiful video.

45. David Wolfe is a very smart person. I watched the full 1h video and he has a lot of knowledge about goal setting, personal development, spirituality. During this interview he imposed a lot of thought provoking ideas and that’s why I like him. He is always looking for answers and never says good is good enough as there can be always something better. Amazing individual.

46. Susanne Russo says:

You both simply glow. The love of life is clearly in your eyes…love you videos, thank you. Loving blessings

47. Brian Foltz says:

Good interview, I agree we need to get back to nature’s way. but to diss all organic food in one generalization, that’s not credible. Also, yes the minerals are vital and I learned a lot from the comments here, so thank you. But remember its the bacteria in the soil that breaks down the minerals and turns it into nutrients for the plants, and its the bacteria/ecosystem in our gut that does the same thing in the human body. without restoring our gut ecosystem, minerals are not being utilzied by the cells one of the leading researchers on this and concentrated, fermented superfoods is Dr Paul Yanick http://www.dryanick.com or http://www.quantafoods.com

48. Stephanie says:

Love David’s energy and will consider this carefully as we start our garden boxes in our back and front yards for Texas’ fall planting season.

Peace!