Why You Should Rotate Your Greens with Victoria Boutenko : The Renegade Health Show Episode #600

Monday Jun 28 | BY |

Today’s episode, I have a special clip with Victoria Boutenko…

She shares why you should rotate your greens.

This whole week, I’m going to show clips from the Rawkathon, which is a powerful collection of over 14 hours of raw food information. Some people have told me it’s the most comprehensive collection on interviews on raw food ever put together. (I’ll let you decide for yourself!)

The reason I’m putting these on is because I recently was playing around with my hard drives and started watching a few of the videos from the program.

Almost instantly, I was ashamed that I took it off the market and got too busy to re-release it. It’s too good to sit on my hard drive. Way too good.

So now you can get a great taste of it this week, as well as get the program at a super-deep discount for over 14 hours of raw food education. Here’s where you can go… http://www.rawkathon.com/special

On to today’s show…

Your question of the day: What is that big stone thing for?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your questions now!

Be sure to pick up your copy of the Rawkathon – over 14 hours – for up to $100 off! This special deal lasts until July 5th, 2010.

Here’s where you can go to read more… http://www.rawkathon.com/special

1. That looks like an alter where they chopped off people’s heads during a solar eclipse.

2. Angie Leigh says:

looks like it might have been used to collect rain water, but it is hard to say because I can only see so much on a video. It is just a wild guess, not to sure about it tho. Great video kev, thanks. I am actually coming back to a raw food diet today after having left it for several months. I followed a 85-90% raw food diet for sometime and ended up reverting back to my old eatting patterns. I have always been in good physical condition so I was not in it for weight loss or any concerning reason, but I was in it to pursue increased energy and overall health. Having left it for several months and only ocasionally having a raw meal I have been able to feel the dramatic differences of eating raw foods compared to the standard american diet. WOW, the Raw food diet has no comparison with anyother diet i have known and it transforms you on every level. I am 100% done with the S.A.D, and ready to get back on raw 100% for good! Thank’s for the video…THINK I’ll HAVE A SMOOTHIE NOW:):):)
    Angie leigh

3. Kimberly says:

That’s really interesting about the alkaloids-I didn’t know that…Ill be rotating my greens more!

Thanks as always Kevin

4. Karen says:

The stones could also have been for sacrifice. I have often wondered what lunatic first thought of sacrifice. Great clip with Victoria. I already own Rawkathon and think it’s great!

5. Charlotte says:

eeeeeeeeh, I know it’s important to rotate but I confess I don’t do it. I don’t always eat the same greens for salades but I I always blend my morning smoothies with spinach! it’s the only one where I don’t mind the flavor at all. Do you have any any suggestions for other greens that are mild like spinach? I’ve tried kale, romaine, chard and a ton of different lettuces and they all taste gross. Don’t get me wrong I love them in salades, blended salades, juices… but hate them with fruit.

Also, I would still like to know if it is beneficial to eat the kombucha scoby? Wouldn’t it be a concentrated probiotic?
    good show!

6. nikki says:

Great video! I will rotate my greens now, which will be hard because spinach is the only green i can tolerate in a smoothie. The others I have tried make me gag. LOL I think the stones were a watering place. Also, I know this is off topic, but with all the controversy on which type of Raw diet to follow and all that, I am hesitant to follow Victoria’s books because she seems so worn down looking and a little unwell. I don’t mean any malice in that. She and her family are all inspirational and an awesome source of information, but how is her Raw plan working for her when the other older raw foodists look so energetic and healthy? I am so confused by all the conflicting data on raw fruitarian, raw low-fat, raw high fat….. that I just want to be sure I’m following the right version. Does that make sense?

7. Nancy says:

Once again Kevin, thanks for sharing this awesome information! I knew it was important to rotate greens but didn’t know why. Now I do, thanks! What about fruit? Is it as important to rotate them as well? I also wondered what you consider a good ratio between fruit and greens in smoothies. I know my kids like sweeter smoothies but I use less fruit in mine because of the calorie and sugar content. Love your show and learn something new everyday! Thanks!!

Nancy from Colorado

8. Nancy Zare says:

Tommy Preistler, a Native American Herbalist and Healer, suggests that none of these greens should be eaten raw for the very reason Victoria mentions, the “toxin” each contains. I heard that by adding lemon juice, this counteracts that. I’ve also heard that blending helps by breaking up the greens into such small particles. Kevin, what do you know?

9. Celena says:

Thanks for this valuable information. Victoria just confirmed a lot of my unanswered questions. I have been raw for 15 years. This past 6 months I have been 100% raw. I experienced first hand the negative side effects too much raw kale (even just twice a week) can have on thyroid function. For me rotating my greens about every 4 or 5 weeks seems to work much better. So choosing your favorite 5 or 6 greens and rotating them.
    Without green smoothies, I don’t know what I would do. Green smoothies are the foundation to my raw food diet.

Thanks again guys 🙂

10. Nick says:

By the Theory of Signatures wouldn’t the edibility of some thing, here like a SCOBY (kombucha mushroom), be determined by how appetizing it is? 😉

Then regarding rotating the greens we consume daily, it’s a testament to the saying “dose is everything”. But in the skewing of meaning in the English language names, words can be as confusing as they can be edifying. So are the alkaloids in greens what are at base of the alkalizing effect on us acidic SAD’ists?

Then hasn’t our commercial agriculture bred out the bitter in our food crops and bred in the sweet, cuz like sex, sweet sells? Might this be a major, our foundational factor in raising the incidence of cancer in our SAD society?

11. Sophia says:

Great video! Congratulations on your 600th video!

12. Katelyn says:

Very interesting stuff… I want to second the rotating fruit question as i personally eat 2 mangoes a day on average… I haven’t personally seen any ill effects but wouldnt mind hearing some theory on rotating fruit. Also, I have been searching for weeks now on some good knowlege on eggs and I really can’t find any. What is so bad about eggs. It sounds like cholesterol is not that bad for you (in fact it is a precursor for many many hormones like estrogen and testosterone, is critical for repairing old cells and producing new cells and your liver makes it and recycles it… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awA2fsa94MI&feature=related). So I hear all about how milk products are bad, and dead animal products are bad… but what about eggs?

13. andrew says:

Katelyn, raw egg yolks
    are good for you if organic (preferably pastured), as they have B12. (and a little D)

14. Makorev says:

Haven’t been to Tipon but did visit Cusco, Sacsahuaman and Machu Picchu 30 yrs ago. My guess is it served ritualistic purposes but I recall no record of regular human sacrifice such as took place in Mayan or Aztec cultures. Machu Picchu has, of course, extremely well- developed channels for water distribution and terrace irrigation purposes along with many temples. The Inca culture was quite religious while exhibiting somewhat sophisticated agricultural capabilities. Couldn’t find other photos of that particular stone but lacking a more complete perspective I would cautiously suggest a possible religious function– I don’t see a need for a platform to support filled water containers.

15. Marla king says:

Thank you for that clip! I think the stone was for human sacrifices since the culture believed in appeasing the gods with human blood..and a heart was removed from a young girl for that purpose! Ug! So ghastly!
    For my zinc and extra calcium and grind dry in the blender unhulled sesame seed and pumpkin seed, then add the items for the green smoothie. I always notice a difference in my energy level by the day if I have a green smoothie or not, so I only skip a few days here and there. Thanks again for your wonderful shows!

16. Jan says:

Wonderful information, glad you decided to show this. Since my garden came on I have been eating the same three kinds of lettuce in smoothies. Next year I will plant six or seven different kinds and rotate them. Thanks again for the information.

17. john says:

Kevin your guest was fantastic -please have her on again. She touched on something ,about taking the same green over a long period of time and how it can affect ones thyroid.As with the stone I think it might be a large commode or a place where they offer child sacrifices to their sun god, etc.

18. nick says:

Lambs quarters, common plaintain and american Violets are a few mild and nutritious greens that are very common “weeds” that will pop up in your yard if you live in the north east & do not use pesticides!!
    It is iportant that we eat seasonal which is the natural way to rotate.

19. nick says:

Clovers are another one which are high in Protein!!

20. Jasmine says:

QUESTION: I’ve noticed that when people ask about your experience beating candida, you’ve told them to seek out the archive episodes because you’ve already talked about it.

I typed in candida in the search box and didn’t come up w/ much other than 4 videos.

I thought you used the body ecology diet to cure your candida, I typed in body ecology and only came up w/ one video, but it wasn’t you talking about your candida experience.

please direct me to the correct videos. thanks!

21. jasmyn says:

yo peeps help! iron deficiency.. and yes did the blood tests.. any ideas on how to resolve this for the long run.. will take supplements as i have had this for a while and am seeing some of the advanced problems that arise ( hair loss and extreme fatigue to name just two).. however at some point i want to be able to not have to take the iron supplement and get it all from my food… i take vitamin c plus get it in my food.. i think i get enough lysine although i haven’t been eating legumes on a regular basis… any ideas or experiences or insight are appreciated.. still trying to find doc who will do the more accurate hormone tests.. and see this doc gave me a b12 shot on friday… the test was on monday and the results were that my b12 was fine and had gone up… well yeahhhhh like i just had the shot 3 days before doc.. i’m just sayin… thanks everyone

22. Bobo says:

It was for chopping human heads off and draining the blood away.

23. Stephanie says:

It looks like irrigation to me. It seems as though they would have had to have an amazing water system to be able to prosper in that geographical location in order to grow crops and use for daily life etc.
    Anyhow, thanks for the video. Happy day to you both:)

24. Carolyn says:

ummm….I think it was a city water supply…

25. Robert C says:

It was an altar for human sacrifice. A great historical novel is “Aztec” by Gary Jennings. (yes I realize you’re in the Inca’s Peru.)

26. connie says:

Kevin, thank you for replaying that piece from Victoria Boutenko. She was the one I liked best from your Rawkathon and Rawkathon was when I subscribed to your Renegade Health Show! Has it been two years already? Wow.

I HAVE been remembering that I need to rotate my greens–and I have a ton of it coming up in the garden right now, but there were some other things she said in this clip that I had forgotten. I really am grateful for this. Keep it up!

Connie

27. VegMom says:

Kevin & Annmarie,

I have been researching how to make Green Smoothies on your site and others, in including Victoria Boutenko’s. I’ve got the low-down on fruits and greens & chewing your smoothie (I even used extra fruit & a touch of honey to get my daughter to try it)
    I was wondering can Almond Milk be used to make a Green Smoothie instead of water?

Thanks & Have fun on the rest of your trip!
    Ps I hope the stone structure is for water and not for sacrifice….

28. Dianne says:

Wow. I never knew THAT was the reason for rotating greens.

Thanks Kevin!

Dianne

29. Nancy says:

I use many different greens, and fruit, in my smoothies. They usually consist, in different combos, spinach, kale, chard, lettuce (different varieties), broccoli, cilantro, parsley, celery, cabbage. Do I still need to worry about rotating them if I’m not just consuming just one type of green?

30. Cherie says:

Ewww. Human Sacrifices. Yuck.

I remember this rawkathon event! This is when I first ‘met’ you. I don’t remember how I found you though. I remember how ‘weird’ all the information was, I believe Phillip and somebody else kicked off the event. And the 1 action I remember doing was I bought Victoria’s book, Green for life and 12 Steps something. I started the green smoothies shortly after reading her book and my husband joined me in just a couple weeks, I also made several horrible raw food recipies that we could not eat! lol. That was 2 years ago? I have made progress that I had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder, I am off to count my blessings. Stay away from the head hunters!

31. Maria Rippo says:

I”m still on the question about what I hold sacred and I hold my time with family sacred. As life gets busier and busier i am not with my kids all the time like I was when they were all little and when we just cuddle up and read or swim in the ocean together or I check out the fort they built or we share a meal, that is so sacred. I love my family!! Oh, and when my kids LOVE the green smoothie I made, ultra sacred!!

32. Genevieve says:

Where can we find out more about the “poisons” in the various green foods? Would the same apply to fresh juices?

Thanks. Very interesting lady.

33. Veronika says:

O-M-G! So that’s why I’ve been getting awful stomach aches when eating a lot of kale? I never used to have this problem, but the past couple weeks I felt nauseous and bloated after eating kale, whether it’s salad or in a smoothie. I had no idea why, and thought I was developing an allergy to my favorite food. I guess I’ve built up my levels of oxalic acid. I’ve also been feeling cold like she said.

I’ve been eating romaine, kale and parsley, and basically no other greens for about 8 months, so I’ve built up oxalic acid, arsenic, and opium. Whoops!

Time to explore collard, spinach, cilantro…

34. Pam says:

No pun intended, but the stones look like they might have been the royal ‘throne’!

Do you use protein powder in your smoothies?

35. David says:

What I really would like to know is… what does a schedule, approximately, for rotating your greens look like? I mean are we talking about once every few days, once a week, etc. I also appreciate that this will vary, possibly greatly, for some people, but am just want to know what the general picture looks like.

36. Grow mint. It grows like crazy and will give you daily crop of GREENs. It makes amazing green smoothies and mixed with fruit sorbe (frozen fruit plus raw honey in the Vitamix) Also a great tea: fresh mint and stevia leaves and stems, crushed, hot water and maybe a bit of honey after the water is cool enough to handle it. The acaloids in mint are good cooling in summer.