Whole Foods Pulls All Kombucha Products from Shelves Due to Alcohol Content : The Renegade Health Show #595

Monday Jun 21 | BY |

Just last week, Whole Foods Market announced that it has removed all Kombucha products from it’s shelves…

The cited alcohol content of up to 3-4% in some products (this is just as much as some beers!).

Over the weekend, I contacted our friend Steve Dickman co-founder of High Country Kombucha to get the story straight form him.

Steve’s products are the highest quality around and wanted to know what his thoughts were on the alcohol content and how and when Kombucha will be back on the shelves.

Take a look (and please pass this along to all your kombucha drinking friends!)…

Your question of the day: Have you ever gotten a buzz from Kombucha?

Good news is that all kombucha products don’t have 3-4% alcohol content. High Country comes in at from .05-.08%.

You can find out more about his products here: http://www.hckombu.com

Stay tuned for more from Steve tomorrow…

1. Craigs says:

I quit drinking alcohol over 15 years ago. And drink the tea that i made from my own mushroom. I never got any alcohol effect from it. If i did i would never ever drink it!!!!

2. I wondered about this when I saw a story online about Lindsey Lohan chugging kombucha after she started wearing her alcohol monitoring bracelet. I didn’t realize the alcohol content was so high! I want to try some, but having given up drinking a few years ago, I will have to read the labels carefully, or make my own.

3. Tino says:

Buzzed? Drunk is more like it.

4. Chris says:

Kombucha is wonderful.. no, I’ve never gotten a buzz from it.. Its just a nice refreshing cool healthy raw vegan drink that I don’t have to prepare. .

Hope it gets fixed and back on shelves soon… and retains its former glory. Otherwise it will iced something for me..

5. Karen says:

I only drink it occasionally. I have never drank a whole bottle at once – I usually drink it over three days. So no problem for me.

6. Jonathan says:

I wonder if you could get drunk on kefir made with raw cow’s or goat’s milk?

7. i have been drinking kombucha for years on a regular basis. the alcohol content in the ones that i drink must be very small, because i have never felt any “buzz” from drinking it.

when i drink alcohol, even after one or two sips i feel quite “buzzed.”

i think they are overreacting to pull kombucha from shelves at their stores. its enzyme and probiotic contents alone merit great worth for the product.

perhaps they could have labelled the products for consumers as containing alcohol, rather than pulling the products.

much aloha.

8. Pat says:

I had tried to make my own,but got some mold. It is quite a process. Was wondering if there was a way to stop the fermentation without heat?

9. marlene says:

I have candida. When I asked my doctor/nutritionist about including kombucha in my diet after 3 months, she emphatically said “no!”. I am also a recovering alcoholic and I noticed that I felt very buzzed after drinking like 2 sips. I can understand whole foods pulling it for high alcohol content. What if children or young adults got ahold of it? Also if u drank a couple of them you would be “drving drunk”. It’s just something to consider. I still think High Country is a great product but maybe you should be 21 to buy it.

10. jennifer says:

I noticed this yesterday at the store! ugh! I drink the Millenium Kombucha- bottle says less than .05% alchohol. I drink 1/2 bottle almost every morning. Sometimes I feel light headed- but not like drunk. I would think that is from the fizz. Hope they bring it back soon! Or I might have to turn to the apple cider vinegar! HA!

11. Stephanie says:

thank you for sharing this interview! perfect timing – I was so bummed when I found out that couldn’t buy Kombucha yesterday and was wondering why. I actually drink Kombucha instead of alcohol at parties because it give me a good buzzed feeling but not in a drunk way – more of just an excited energy

12. Nell says:

Well I’m just gonna throw my own 2 cents out there and say that I experienced what Tino posted above. I have not made my own, researched the benefits and heard lots of discussion about it on talk shows and decided to try out the Synergy brand. All I know is that there was one in particular (can’t remember the flavor) that I couldn’t even drink half way because it was like a strong drink.
    The gentleman makes a good point when talking about how adding fruits or things might cause the alcohol content to spike. Personally, not drinking them right now.. in the future – maybe?

13. Jan says:

Interesting show
    I do not drink it

14. Angelique says:

Yes, I have! (and was curious about that) The ones I make at home, I don’t have the same issue.

15. bitt says:

I don’t think you would get drunk from even 3%, maybe buzzed. I have felt more calm and relaxed from kombucha but it is not the alcohol it is the acids in it that make you feel that way. I talked to a local kombucha brewer and their kombucha is .2% and they have documentation to prove it. So it must vary. I usually water down my kombucha a bit, just to stretch it. No big deal. I do not drink alcohol but the stuff has never made me want to drink again. I don’t find it addictive as some people say.

16. Trista says:

I quit drinking Kombucha a couple of years ago after I saw new cavities in my teeth. I was drinking a brand with added fruit juice and yes, it was explosively fizzy. I had 3 a day for months and then I saw a bunch of new cavities. I’m pretty sure I was overdoing it, but since I quit I have tried it again once or twice and it no long appeals to me. My guess is that it was pretty acidic to cause the cavities. I am not surprised to hear about the alcohol, but I can’t say I noticed it either.

17. Have definitely noticed that I don’t like the way I feel after drinking kombucha! Alcohol would explain it! And yes, you can get drunk on 3%

18. Dana says:

I work for Whole Foods. I’m pretty sure Kombucha is probably our #1 seller. Alot of bummed out customers until they get this resolved. I brew my own so I’m not effected. I have never felt an alcohol effect, which for me is tired and slow motion, with mine or any other brand. I get the opposite effect, Love it!

19. Emily says:

I make my own. Are you going to cover in more detail how to not have it become alcoholic? I got the part about adding fruit with high sugar content being a factor. I usually don’t add anything. I like it plain so to speak. Thanks for the great show.

20. Barb says:

I had my first Kombucha – Synergy – two weeks ago. I was not aware of the alcohol and after two sips, I felt a little “funny”. I don’t drink and haven’t had alcohol for maybe 15 years, but I remembered that slight funny feeling. The owner of the store that I bought it from said I was only the second person she knew of that reacted that way. At least now, I know I wasn’t imagining it! 🙂

21. RJ says:

my comment did not go thru 🙁

22. Charlotte says:

I’ve never had a buzz from drinking kombucha. I really liked the High Country brand it’s it pretty expensive! So almost a month ago i made it myself for the first time. MY next batch should be ready this week. I actually never even bought a scoby. I made my own mushroom from a bottle of high country kombucha that i had bought.

Does anyone know if it’s ok to eat the mushroom? It must contain a higher concentration healthy bacteria right?
    Could you put a piece in a smoothie maybe?
    From what I read many people just feed it to their pets.

23. Chug it on an empty stomach (AKA first thing in the morning) and, yeah, I will get a “buzz.” Same thing happens with coconut kefir and rejuvelac…

I think it is silly that it has been pulled off the shelves at Whole Foods. The average person would have to drink an entire case of Kombucha in order to get drunk like they would with a glass of wine.

24. Elizabeth says:

I rarely drink Kombucha. I enjoy the fizz but never drank a whole bottle in one sitting. I usually would have a little over several days. It was something that I would splurge on once in awhile because it is rather expensive so because I spread it out I never got “buzzed”.

25. RJ says:

Here is my comment again. I never got drunk from Kombucha. I brew my own and a glass of it, before bedtime, kept me awake till 3 in the morning. I used black tea to brew it. My teacher said it could have been the B vitamins that kept me awake. Does anyone know if caffiene disappates during the brewing process? I think Kombucha is great! And so do little people…

26. Leam says:

Never tried it – can’t get past the smell.

27. Patti says:

I have never felt a buzz but drink drink a bottle over two or three days. I’ve also made my own and never felt inebriated from that one either.

28. Mary says:

I have been drinking Kombucha for the last 3 years. For the last 2 years I brew my own. I am very sensitive to alcohol and can get mildly drunk from one beer or small glass of wine. I have never had the same feeling from drinking Kombucha, but like others have said there is a good feeling that comes from drinking it. It is fairly simple to make so I would encourage others to make their own.

29. Bev says:

Hi EveryOne,

Been making and drinking my own Kombucha tea since 1994. It is my favorite beverage and the one of the most healing substances I have ever discovered.

If they tested raw fruit juice they might find the same amount of alcohol in it, it is a natural byproduct of the fermentation of sugar. It is natural in raw foods and juices and unless we want everything to be pasteurized, we best try to keep our food alive even if it does contain a tiny bit of alcohol.

I make my own Kombucha Manna Drops (Kombucha extract) and they intentionally contain alcohol: just like most herbal extracts do. It speeds the absorption into the body and acts as a preservative and to prevent contamination in the dropper bottle.

Wishing everyone the best of health and well being!

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

30. Autumn says:

Hmm. I guess Whole Foods just wants to be extra cautious. I was very disappointed a few weeks ago when I went to WF for raw milk, only to find out it has been permanently discontinued because of its potential dangers. I haven’t heard of anyone becoming ill from raw milk but I guess it exists. The only way I can get it now is from the farmers market on weekends. They also sell Kombucha. Hopefully Kombucha will reappear on WF shelves soon.

31. Stephanie says:

I have felt a slight buzz but nothing that alarmed me. I always assumed it was the vitamin/enzyme content, not the low amount of alcohol. Besides, even if it were, I cannot drink more than a bottle. Can’t afford it, can’t stomach it. So I don’t see myself sitting down with a six-pack to try to get drunk off it anytime soon! And no, I’ve never felt anything that feels like beer. (I should know, I’ve had plenty in my “other life.”) 😉

32. lesley says:

I love it…have had 2 in row sometimes and never felt a buzz….actually I feel more energetic which would be the opposite to haveing been affected by alcohol which is a depressant…can’t wait for this to get resolved so its easier to get my daily drink!

33. Jeff says:

I tend to drink things very fast. If I “slam” a kombucha, I do feel a bit of a buzz; so I try to slow it down….

34. I never did drink kombucha (or kefir etc) because of the alcohol factor. Fermentation is going to create some kind of alcohol.

Autumn, I live in a rural dairy farming area that does a lot of raw milk. People get sick from it all the time. How sick they get depends on which pathogen they’re exposed to. The last time that I heard about, it was a large group who got a really bad strain of E. coli and they got pretty sick. It makes the newspapers sometimes, but usually when people get sick from it they just recover and don’t make a big deal of it. Although there have been deaths caused by raw milk, it’s not that common … and even, rarely, cows with rabies which can be passed to humans via milk.

I would personally never touch dairy, raw or not.

35. Sophia says:

I love High Country’s Kombucha. I believe it is top quality! Never had a buzz from Kombucha either. I also think Kombucha is very healing and helps with digestion.

36. john says:

No, I abstain from all alcoholic beverages.Never had alcohol in my entire life. What you never had you never miss.

37. Ronn says:

Whole Foods stores sell beer and wine in states where it’s allowed. So why are they pulling komubucha because of its alcohol content? Why not just move it to the alcoholic beverages section? Am I missing something here?

38. Kathryn says:

Yes, definitely! I think it depends on what type of sugar you use to make Kombucha and how long it ferments.

39. Giselle says:

Never been buzzed on Hight Country but definitely from Synergy. Yikes!!

40. Diane Olmstead says:

The whole thing really irritates me. All Whole Foods has to do is post their own sign if they have concern about it. I drink 2 a day and really love the stuff….and no, I don’t stagger or walk around drunk. If anything, it GIVES me energy, and doesn’t take it away. Now I have to find a new place to buy by the case, since individually they are pricey items. Anyone know anyplace else that sells by the case?

41. Satori says:

When I bought my first Kombucha from Wholefoods, I didn’t know it contains alcohol.I opened the bottle in my car and smell the alcohol. So I looked at the label and found out it has 1% alcohol. I’m very sensitive to alcohol, and so asked my friend to drive instead of me. Good thinking! By the time, we arrived my home, I was completely buzzed, although I only finished a quarter of the bottle.

I still drink them occasionally and because I don’t make them myself, it’s sad WF doesn’t carry them anymore. That being said, I think it’s so dangerous to sell that stuff like any other soft drinks. It should be labeled clearly. I mean I might have had an car accident that day.

42. Isabelle says:

Pat
    2:26 pm on June 21st, 2010

I had tried to make my own,but got some mold.

Pat, you got the mold from the tea bag with which you made it. The tea bags sometimes cause mold esp on Kambucha… this happened to me which is why I know about this….

43. Sheryl says:

I took a sip of it once and it taste like vinegar to me it was horrible. Kudos for Whole Foods from removing them. I do not think they are a healthy drink. Just from a sip my mouth and throat were on fire. I glad somebody finally woke up and brought forth the truth.

44. Page says:

I’ve never tried Kombucha.

45. Jolie says:

I have experienced a little buzz when drinking Kombucha and I did wonder if I should be drinking and driving:)
    However, I only would drink a little bit at a time and I felt like it was tasty and healthy for me. Passion flower was my fave flavor.

46. Kathleen says:

I’ve enjoyed a few different types of Kombucha, and I definitely get that “buzzed” feeling from GT’s and Synergy. Not so much from High Country Kombucha, though. I wouldn’t know what to attribute the feeling to, though I assumed it was just the effervescent nature of the drink that made me feel lightheaded. I’m new to brewing my own at home, and my own stuff doesn’t give me that buzzed feeling. Thanks for the heads up.

47. Anabel says:

I try a lot of stuff. After trying out both Kambucha and fruit kefir for awhile, decided they didn’t work for me. Even got something like a beer belly from it all.

After three years still loving the green smoothies though.

Be well.

48. Stephanie says:

Yes, I have felt slightly “buzzed” when drinking kombucha… I always thought it was a nice thing- always left me very relaxed- which never hurts! 🙂

49. Caroleen says:

Boy, we had a lovely summer weather weekend here in Chicago…I was SOOOOO craving a kombucha and really bummed that WFM pulled it from their shelves. I do know of a couple other places to get it, but WFM is so convenient. My husband and I were really craving it! We just started brewing our own, but it isn’t ready just yet. Boo!

I can’t help but smell a ‘snake’ somewhere…ya know, WFM is a publicly traded company…SEC, FDA, USDA…are they trying to trump the wonderful health benefits of something natural and healing…maybe a far stretch…but makes one wonder…

Cheers and Blessings!

50. KAREN BEATTIE says:

A FRIEND BOUGHT ME ONE FROM HENERYS AND CAN’T REMEMBER THE NAME BRAND; TASTY AND DOES GIVE A SLIGHT GOOD FEELING! I KNOW THAT MUSHROOMS ARE GOOD FOR YOU,AND WHO KNOWS ONE DAY WE MIGHT DISCOVER GOOD BENIFITS, FROM THE DRINK! CHOCOLATE GOT A BAD WORD AND NOW IT IS DARK CHOCOLATE HAS HEALTH BENEFITS. MAYBE WE SHOULD ENJOY WHAT WE CAN AND BE THANKFUL; TOO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT THESE DAYS!

51. Sye says:

I used to work at Whole Foods, and tried a kombucha once, because a friend told me they liked it. I had a few sips and tasted the alcohol, and I didn’t drink anymore because I don’t drink anymore. I had a buzz from that small amount, which I didn’t want, and haven’t had one since.

I know a lot of people who drink it and claim that they get a buzz from it.

52. I’ve gotten a buzz before from drinking GT’s not High Country. Though I stopped drinking kombucha awhile ago when I found out about the yeast and sugar. Since then I’ve switched over to Zukay Live Foods new probiotic veggie drinks which have acidophilus as the starter instead of the white sugar.

53. Deanna says:

I’m very sensitive to alcohol because I very rarely drink and when I do it is just a few sips. I’ve made kombucha and I’ve drank many different brands on the market. Just tried a new one yesterday. I’ve never felt any alcohol effects, I’ve always known that there was supposed to be a small amount in it but it never effects me. I saw Paul Nison’s negitive U tube video about it but he was talking against it because of what he feels like is high sugar content in the store bought kinds. Thanks for the info.

lol,
    Deanna

54. Satori says:

“Did a Health Drink Set Off LIndsay Lohan’s Scream?”

55. a says:

I got some kind of a buzz or alcohol woozy feeling every time from kombucha. I kept hearing how awesome the stuff is and drank it anyways for a while. I always wondered about the alcohol content because based on how I felt after drinking it I’m not a bit surprised to hear this.

56. Jan Podolske says:

I have no ill effects from drinking it! I love it! I drink a bottle a day! I an just getting used to making my own to save money! So far so good!

57. Irina says:

Never got a buzz from kombucha – just a nice feeling of calm and alertness.

58. Bina says:

Yes! And had to stop drinking it because it was taxing out my adrenals!

59. Bill says:

Kevin,

For the last few videos they seem to pause for a second or two when you are talking however it does not happen when the recorded interviews come on. It happens launching from your web site as well as from you tube web site and I do not experience this with any other you tube videos.

Please let me know if you or our family of listeners get the same experience. I am using IE 8.0.7600.16385

60. Beth says:

Interesting interview. I keep hearing about Kombucha, but haven’t tried it.

61. I create my own raw kombucha without adding fruits and when I drink it I am able to boring housework easily… YAY! Is it a buzz from alcohol?, I don’t know, hahaha.

62. We have only used Kombucha a few times literally, for medicinal purposes of the ginger and probiotics. I had a stomach ache and after drinking about a half of the bottle I felt so much better. It was not something I imagined drinking daily for pleasure. I did cop a little buzz though, I will admit. But nothing to write home to mom about. Only lasted a minute.

On the topic of Whole Foods. Of course they have to pull it they are a large corporation and susceptible to law suits. Watch the movie The Corporation if you want a little eye opener. WF is like another version of WalMart in the health food industry.

We should be supporting our local farmers anyways. And the smaller local health food stores are affected when we shop with WF. We have seen it here on Maui with some of our favorite little health stores that even have lower prices than WF. (We just got a WF this last year so were able to observe the effects locally)

The best bet is to make our own. Nothing like home grown!
    We gotta try it. Thanks for a great interview Kevin!!!
    Enjoy Peru~~

C&S

63. Melanie says:

I’ve never felt “buzzed” from drinking Kombucha, but love the relaxed yet alert feeling I get from drinking it. Also, I rarely bought the fruit flavors, the ginger flavor is the best!!!

64. I don’t drink Kombucha….but have enjoyed reading peoples posts.

65. Sprice says:

never got a buzz from Kombucha Raw..love the stuff! always feel better when drinking it…it gives me energy..do not change it!!!

66. Sprice Drury says:

I always feel good when drinking Kombucha! never got a buzz..but always have energy…love the green and ginger Kombucha..keep it Raw! I am buying as much as I can from other Health Foods stores!

67. Gustavo says:

I love Synergy, I remember the first time I had it, I thought it was regular juice and shook it up pretty hard (not a good idea). I did get buzzed the first time I had it and I loved it. I called all of my friends and we stopped drinking wine and just drank Synergy to chill out. Whenever I would have a bad day I would drink one, hold the liquid under my tongue, close my eyes and think happy thoughts followed by a nice swallow. Repeat about 20 times and that crappy day just melts away.

Whole Foods knew from the beginning about the alcohol content and they chose to turn a blind eye because it brought in lots of money. I guess it just came back to bite them. If they are going to make a big deal about it then just card people before they buy it. If they add an extra tax and pass it on to the consumer then whatever, it’s a cost of doing business. Alcoholics can get drunk off of mouth wash but you don’t see people banning that. Give people a choice Whole Foods and bring it back!!!!

68. Sallie says:

I’ve been drinking Synergy for past 3 years and have not had any yeast infections (normally had one a month) Nor have I had any kidney infections or pneumonia (I have lupus, so would regularly get pneumonia, kindey infections, bladder infections, ect)
    having also delt with breast cancer, which was the main reason I started drinking it, I can happily say I’ve had no reocurrance and I did not do radiation or chemo;o) drinking kombucha regularly (2 a day) has kept me healthy and off of antibiotics;o)
    never felt buzzed or hung over from it. gives me energy;o) hope they straighten this mess out soon!

69. shiela says:

Funny. I always suspected the alcohol was a little higher because of fermentation. I LOVE HCK! So good! I don’t drink alcohol and sometimes catch a bit of a buzz from Kombucha but not like being drunk. More like heightened energy and a refreshed feeling. I also only drink one at a time. One time at a concert a drank two over a few hours and felt fine but typically I am not slamming more than one and I don’t drink it every day..but most days I do, especially in warmer weather.
    Anyway, I agree with another poster, are we going to ban mouth wash because of the alcohol content? Just another reason Whole foods is becoming substandard. I already buy my milk and cheese from a local, raw, organic farmer. Maybe I will have to do the same with Kombucha..or just make my own. Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.

70. Diana says:

Yes, I have gotten a buzz off of Kombucha. Synergy prints there alcohol content on the label. I read the bottle after experiencing that slight buzz. Up to 5%. I was surprized.

We are all made up different. So of course we will all have different experience kombucha and anything else. I think we should have choices. Put it in the wine and beer section of the store if the alcohol content is comparible to beer and wine.

The most important thing to me is what are the pros and cons about how healthy is Kombucha? What metabolic type, or dosha should and can drink it? Can people with yeast problems drink it or diabetics, etc? These are my concerns.

71. Dennis says:

Have been making and drinking Kombucha for about 4 years. I don’t add anything (i.e., juices) to it and I drink about 12 oz a day. I ferment (maybe the wrong word to use here) my Kombucha on average 17 days and bottle it in 1.5 liter wine bottles. They often do get very effervescent and some have popped their corks — however, I can’t say I have ever felt any effects as if it had alcohol. I typically drink my 12 oz at work around 3 pm and if there was alcohol in it, it would put me to sleep, especially at that time of the day.

72. gardenia says:

a friend told me about kombucha. i tried tc’s,
    and i felt drunk. it was very unpleasant, as i
    do not drink and i do not like alcohol.

i tried high country. it was better.

we want to keep kombucha raw and available.

my friend buys cases per week.

73. Cindi says:

Interestingly enough….just tonite I drank some of my Kombucha (I make my own) and I just happen to be fasting. For the first time I noticed a definite buzz, so much so that it took me by surprise. I drank about 5-7 ounces and I stop the process when it gets to a balanced sweet/sour with a slight fizz. I’ve always been more concerned about the sugar content seeing that processed white sugar is what most people recommend for brewing the best Kombucha. I love this whole probiotic venture….I’ve often thought about taking an Enology or Biochemistry class to find some accurate anwswers. I’ll let you know if I do. Peace….Cindi

74. Jacquie says:

Great show, Kevin! Yes, I’ve had Kombucha that I bought at Whole Foods and gotten a tremendous buzz from it. I no longer drink it because I don’t consume any alcohol. I had no idea it had such a high alcohol content. No wonder! Thanks! 🙂

75. Ivy says:

Could you post a quick “how to DIY brew your own” so we can move it onto a shelf at home and avoid it from being pulled again. I would rather have the control over what’s in it as well. There was only 1 brand that was not packed with excessive ingredients that I had approved of. It also contained small bits of the “mother” from the process. I hope to be more healthy, and local in the future. Thanks Renegade health!

ps- I don’t believe caffeine would dissipate by the process of fermentation at all. To change one molecule to another would require either heat, pressure, or chemical catalysts which are not present in the raw fermentation process. Raw is good.

76. jeff smith says:

This is a move by the FDA to tax, regulate, and create a scare about an amazingly beneficial tea called Kombucha.

I also have no clue why WHOLE FOODS has created this huge deal by pulling it from shelf anyway.

ALL LABELS ARE CLEAR ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF .05% ALCOHOL.

Whose Kombucha contained levels of 5-8%? What brands? Where are they listed??? From what I understand any Kombucha that is marketed has to be standardized. This means extremely controlled brewing, pasteurization, brought to a powder; them reconstituted and bottled in facility. You cannot get beverage insurance to be able to get distribution with out it. All mass marketed Kombucha lableled “RAW”, “LIVE” are false. This has been told to me by a friend who is a quality control chemist with MARS.

I smell FDA scam.

If anyone has some real info about which brands tested please let me know @ jsmth7@hotmail.com

77. Sasha says:

Lyndsey Lohan is a mass produced vapid Hollywood clone and I am highly disappointed with Whole Foods choice of Pulling such a wonderful drink from their shelves. It is just another way to control the masses. God forbid the people are actually healthy. This is such a lame choice.

78. Aerobics King says:

I definitely felt the buzz. I felt as if I had just drank a beer. I love the flavor of kombucha and I don’t mind trace alcohol, but I don’t like getting buzzed, so I stopped drinking it. I don’t think they should stop selling it though, they just need to change the labeling and maybe do whatever is necessary to sell an alcoholic beverage.

79. MJ says:

I don’t know if all this happened just because Lindsay Lohan and her mom cried foul about her overindulgence of kombucha tea supposedly setting off her SCRAM anklet. If that’s the case shame on the Lohan’s for blaming a health food drink for continued indisgressions. The longer the kombucha sits (homemade or store bought) the longer it ferments and therefore has a higher alcohol content. A certain amount of heat will cause the fermentation to continue as well. That’s why GT’s labeling clearly states it should be continuously refridgerated. I drink store bought and make my own. I am a recovering alcoholic and have had no feelings of being impaired drinking either my own or brand name kombucha. The vitamin B in the drink gives me energy.

80. Sharon Gist says:

I MISS MY KOMBUCHA!!! Raley’s finally ran out and is waiting to see what is going to happen..actually, they told me that there is a problem at the factory. Whole Foods pulled Kombucha off the shelf because of the alcohol content after selling it for like 14 years and just figured out it had alcohol in it..don’t they know what is in their products or are they too busy counting their money to read labels??
    I only would drink 1/3 or 1/2 bottle a day because I knew of the alcohol..One time a drank the whole bottle but never felt a ‘buzz’..I would drink mine right when I would go to bed and I would sleep like a baby..it would totally relax me and take away the stress of the day…Does anyone know if the health food stores are selling it or the Sac. Co-op??? Guess I will have to brew my own now..until the Kombucha DEA makes it illegal like marijuana…geez!!

81. Zsaire Gable says:

I don’t drink it as much as I used to. I had it again yesterday and was thirsty so I drank 483 Mils of it and again
    became light headed after about 20 minutes. This is ongoing for me. I had consumed Synergy Raw & Organic Cosmic Cranberry. This is in Canada.