How Aspartame Can Effect Your Health : The Renegade Health Show Episode #594

Friday Jun 18 | BY |

Here is the last installment of our 3 part series with Dr. Russell Blaylock…

In this video, Dr. Blaylock discusses aspartame and how it effects your health. He also explains how it breaks down in the body, how aspartame is metabolized and why excitotoxins are still in our foods (this story is really surprising!)

Your question of the day: What has been your experience with aspartame?

If you want to learn more about Dr. Russell Blaylock and his books, please click here: http://www.blaylockwellnesscenter.com

1. Pat says:

Aspartame is a guaranteed headache. We all have to vote with our dollars. It would be good to publish the names it hides behind. I went on line and got a list of other names of MSG. What an eye opener! Grabbed a sausage “without MSG & nitrates” It gave ME the most severe headache. Learned my lesson. NO PROCESSED FOODS!!!

2. ann marie says:

Someone put aspartime in my tea once and I didn’t know it. I instantly got a headache. That was my only experience I’ve had. The stuff is pure poo.

3. Patricia J Allen says:

Dr.Mercola recommends aspartame as an ant killer. I buy a box of it at Safeway and empty a packet in a little can lid and use in kitchen corners for my annual spring ant invasion. It works. Learn, learn, learn!

4. Russell says:

I drank diet sodas for years until I finally quit. First I quit the ones containing Aspartame and switched to ones made with Splenda and then I quit altogether. Recently I had a drink that contained Aspartame and I felt like I was on some serious drugs. I could not think or speak coherently. My roommate was quite worried about me. I fell asleep for a couple of hours and woke up with a headache. I can assure you that I will never ever touch the stuff again. I only hope that the years of consumption have not caused irreversible damage to my brain.

5. jackie says:

When I was in college, before aspertame was available on the market, I did a jello taste test for a Home Ec class. Truthfully, it tasted pretty good and no one got sick, but I sure wouldn’t eat any of it it now!

6. nick says:

I know a few women who drink a lot of diet soda
    with aspartame; I tell them of the danger but it goes in one ear and right out the other. Aparently it is more imortant to loose weight then it is to get cancer; Unfortunately many people have to get sick before they change. The same with MSG. We need to be aware of the name changes of MSG and Aspartame so those that want to avoid it can.
    The producer of Aspartame, Ajinomoto is initiating a new marketing push that will rebrand the sweetener as “AminoSweet”. Aspartame is commonly found in diet soft drinks (Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi), artificial sweeteners (NutraSweet, Equal, Splenda, Spoonful), candies and flavored medicines.
    they slip aspartame into our foods, drugs, vaccines (yes, vaccines), OTC medications (especially child products)

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) Glutamic Acid
    Monopotassium Glutamate

7. Sandi S says:

Unfortunately, a great number of people in the medical profession are using it and are totally ignorant to the facts of the side effects of both aspartame and msg. After sitting them down and explaining a few facts about those products and directing them to websites that they can read these facts again, they finally get their big “ah-ha” moment and understand where some of their adverse health symptoms are coming from. I’m but a Holistic lifestyle coach and master trainer….what’s up with the medical profession?????

8. Martin says:

I’m a chiropractor, and I always want to have good smelling breath, while I’m in close proximity to my patients, so I frequently chew a piece of gum for a couple of minutes to get that burst of peppermint flavor, and the gum that I chew usually contains aspartame. I have known aspartame isn’t good for you, but I figured my exposure was minimal, and not a risk, but now I realize any quantity should be avoided.

9. Jan says:

After consuming aspartame my mother has spells of confusion which last for around 90 minutes. It took many of these spells before she figured it out. She has not had any confusion since she stopped using aspartame.

I know of one person who has seizues after using “sweet & low” brand of sugar replacement. I also know of several people who experience neuro problems after using sugar relacements. All of these people have some sort of head trauma. It is possible because of the head trauma the affects of the sugar repacement is extreme. I know I do not want any in my diet.

Thanks again for the information.

Question: Tyrosine is an amino acid that is considered an excitotoxin – if taken as a supplement is it dangerous? Is it like fat, some fats are healthy and some fats are dangerous?

10. Lynda says:

Whenever I drink diet drinks containing Aspartame I have severe dizzy spells. It take a long time of drinking them before I get dizzy so at first I did not connect the dizziness to the Aspartame diet drinks. When I fianlly figured it out and stopped drinking them the dizzines lasted for up to 2 months. I also get nauseated due to the dizziness and cannot eat much. Plus I have to sleep alot. It is surely a neuro-toxin. I also have a friend whose is in her late 60’s who has dementia and her family is considering putting her in a home for Alzheimer’s patients. She has diabetes so she practically lives on a combination of Aspartame/Sweet N Low beverages and foods containing them.

11. Meri says:

Horrible stuff. I haven’t let it pass my lips in years. My partner’s family still use it, I believe.

Thanks so much for these interviews. Russell Blaylock is such a great source of irrefutable scientific evidence of the disastrous consequences of lacing our foods with so many dangerous toxins. I don’t care how good the food may taste, the price isn’t worth paying.

12. Sarah says:

Great interviews!! I have never consumed aspartame (at least that I know of). My mother has always kept herself informed and passes her knowledge to her family. Unfortunately not everyone listens. Now I keep myself educated on health and wellness. I have avoided aspartame and MSG ever since she informed me about them.

13. Charlotte says:

Does anyone else have trouble viewing this video (or any of the parts of this interview for that matter)?
    The video keeps pausing to buffer every 5 seconds. And it’s definitely not my internet connection. I’ve tried watching it on youtube but it’s the same problem there. I have no trouble at all with other videos just the ones from the three part interview.
    to answer the question, when i was little I used to drink black tea with a packet of equal. After getting used to it the taste becomes addictive. Never a good thing, lol. Then I stopped using it and then had it again. That’s when i realized again how sickeningly sweet and disgusting it is.

14. jasmine says:

I used to ingest copious amounts of aspartame growing up – ever since I was 10 years old! I was always very “health” conscious (weight conscious) and thought I was being healthy by choosing aspartame over sugar. *sigh* I’ve made similar decisions growing up – ephedra pills, tofu, mock meats. I’ve been vegetarian since I was 9 years old. So much tofu and soy products. I am in a world of hurt right now, but getting better eating raw foods.

I’m worried about my mom who drinks diet soda and sugarless gum.

any suggestions?

15. The question isn’t “what has this crud done to us”, but rather, the question should be, “what are we going to finally start doing about this known poison which has been put into the mainstream food supply?”. It was once said that all evil has to do to proliferate is for decent people to sit down on their laurels and do nothing…

16. Brigitte says:

In response to #10 above, I also have had trouble with these 3 episodes. In fact, it takes so long due to the buffering every few seconds, that I have given up trying to listen.

17. Acupuncture says:

We must be careful.Aspartame can really affect our health.

18. Lana says:

Since the beginning of “sweeteners” my body spoke loud and clear! I will age myself by this comment but I remember when they first introduced “sweetnlow” and saccharin in TAB cola. A close family friend went through about a 6 pack a day. But I would drink a can and feel terrible. What was real interesting was how I would feel literally poisoned if I drank it in the sun or the heat. I went through a stage when Pepsi first made Diet Pepsi with Nutri-sweet that I drank it to lose weight but I just kept feeling sicker and sicker until one day I was in the heat and drank a Diet Pepsi and almost past out and my head felt like it was going to explode. By the time I was 20 I was done drinking or eating anything “diet” and decided sugar was safer if I needed something sweet. Of course now I get my sugar from fruit and sweet veggies. MMMM

19. Pat says:

They put sweetners in lip gloss and lip stick.

20. I would never ingest aspartame. Now MSG is little more tricky if you eat out. I went out to eat last night and now today feel like I have a hangover. Pretty amazing since I just had steamed veggies and a baked potato. Probably the piece of bread I ate?
    Who knows if you live in the US better to eat raw foods for the most part when you go out.

21. Jacquie says:

I believe aspartame caused headaches for me. My husband finally eliminated aspartame and got rid of terrible aching in his knees and lower back. I’m trying to get my father to kick aspartame because I believe it’s causing his vertigo. It’s just so hard when people won’t hear you and change. GREAT interviews, Kevin. 🙂

22. Jacquie says:

Oops, Kevin, I forgot my question. Dr. Blaylock indicates that the damage from glutamates is irreversible (he mentioned this fact specifically in regard to children). I’m not sure I buy this in that I believe if you eat an organic, raw food/healthy food diet, the body will repair itself. Any thoughts on this? Thx!

23. Lana says:

This is a little off subject but I was thinking back to your video after you had finished your 6 day fast. I have a dear friend who is already thin from being a raw food vegan and is now on a self chosen fast that he plans on doing for 200 days. He is not even half way there and I ran in to him and he does not look healthy at all. I love him dearly and don’t feel like I should say anything negatively but it is beginning to worry me. He even has a gray color about him. Maybe you could bring up some more details about the true dangers of over-fasting. Thanks

24. Yvon Roy says:

This is appalling! This stuff should be more illegal to put into our food than drugs on the street because we don’t want it! At least those who want drugs on the street take them because they want them. We are victim!! Now the only time I buy hotdogs it is to give a treat to my dog and I even feel guilty doing that. I feel sad for our children. They are as bad as pedophiles if not worse; worrying about their purse more than the health of our children. Our most precious resource is the health of our children. Curse these corporations!! Thank you for spreading the word. I’m thinking about applying for a FM radio station license only transmitting these talks and others like it. It would be radiation emitted for health and a good cause and at not for garbage advertisements. Thank you

25. Jane DeVries says:

I have known for years that aspertame was bad for the body and I stayed away from diet soda because I heard aspertame is in there. However, I have been using another product for years because I only found out recently it contains aspertame: Breath Savers breath mints. The ingredients on the package is printed in such small type that I could not physically read it even with my reading glasses. I discovered these mints when I was looking for a mint that wouldn’t cause cavities…now what do I do when I need fresh breath?

26. Mary Moore says:

We don’t need to kill the ants…I just take an old bottle of spice that’s ready to be tossed…
    like garlic, cloves, cayenne, etc. I put a line across the threshold of the doors and along the
    lower window sills. Even thought the porch had ants, not one came into the house all last summer.

27. Kym Hutcheon says:

Just catching up on this series. It has been outstanding. Anything with MSG, I get a minty, numb taste in my mouth, at best; at worst, distorted vision and a migraine headache.

I’ve been aware of this for a long time but hadn’t found anyone who was an authority on the subject until now. Very grateful for that because I can now tell friends I got this info from someone with an MD after their name.

Usually when I mention anything like this, I get looks like I just beamed down from orbit.

28. Erin-Elyse says:

To those with video problems: Whenever I am watching a video and it keeps pausing to buffer, I just hit pause and walk away to let the video load for a while. This works most of the time.
    As for aspartame, I rarely consume it these days, but use to more often drink diet sodas and chew sugarless gum when younger. Truthfully, I can’t recall any negative effects. But seeing as it is not a whole natural food, I can’t think of any reason to consume it now. That just reminded me of one of the ads for aspartame from way back. It said something like if you’ve eaten bananas and milk then you’ve eaten aspartame (?) Can’t remember the exact wording and whether they were suggesting a similar taste or a similar chemical make-up. Does anyone remember that ad?

29. Kuru says:

I agree with Jacquie #16 that glutamate damage can be reversed. My mother used MSG (Accent) heavily when I was a child, and I do imagine it affected hers and my dad’s health. But I have been on the path of true health since ’76 and feel totally at peace with my very happy strong body. I certainly think cleansing and clean eating, positive thought and exercise can overcome much.

30. Mohammed says:

To Lana at No.17 re your friend’s 200 day fast. Neverattempt a long fast (i.e. more than 3 days)at home. It should be done at an institutiion under the supervision & care of an expert other than the faster, however expert the faster himself may be. There can be no purpose under the skies to fast that long (200 days) other than committing suicide. For God’s sake snap him out of it. Good Luck.

31. Excellent series! Excitoxins: The Taste That Kills is one of my absolute favorite health books. The info on MSG and aspartame, as mentioned above, is priceless.

The good thing is that there’s no reason to worry about these chemicals once you’re eating a healthy raw vegan diet. As long as you’re eating simple fruits and vegetables, you can be sure that you aren’t consuming these products.

And if you still feel drawn to these substances (as well as other flavor enhancers) on raw, then you know you need to consume more sweet fruit! 🙂

Swayze

32. Page says:

For me, aspartame = RAGING HEADACHE. I learned this several years ago and read labels before I ingest any prepared, processed foods, which is quite rare for me to do anymore.

33. Chey says:

I drank so many diet sodas in high school I am surprised I even graduated.

34. john says:

Great information Kevin from Dr. Blaylock. Thank you.

35. Steve says:

I’m a nice size guy. About 260lbs. & at a tad over 6 ft. There’s not much that gets me to stop with my flowing energy, (even if I get tired). Whenever I’m accidentally given a diet…what ever. If that’s in it. My body senses it within minutes & shuts down. I get an instant tiredness that I can’t overcome for about 30 minutes or so. I don’t have over a sip or so because I sense it instantly. I can’t think of anything else that does that to me & so quick. It’s really crazy.

36. Kevin, or anyone else: can you eat raw potatoes? I have heard they have a toxic enzyme that needs to be cooked out. And I have heard of people eating them.
    I made a wonderful raw SWEET POTATO dish, but those must be different.

37. Daureen says:

Where are we supposed to post questions? I was under the impression that this area was to answer the question of the day. I searched the site, includeing the FAQ, but couldn’t find and answer. I clicked on the “contact” area and that is just an endless loop.

Can you please post my question and its answer in your FAQ section? It has been frequently asked because you said it on one of your shows and your answer was “post them anywhere,” but that is not specific. This is the only place I see. ????

Thanks.

38. Jasper says:

At #36, Hey Susan, I know this probably doesn’t answer your question exactly how you want… but me and my family have being eating raw potatoes for years. We’ve never had any noticeable problems.. though I have to admit I did give up eating them because I heard the same thing as you. Potatoes, as you probably know, are related to another plant which is *very* toxic. If your just planning on trying them raw once or twice then you will be grand… as for constantly eating them raw..?? I’ll leave that for somebody else!

39. Genevieve says:

Thanks for the excellent interview. I learned the hard way about MSG as I got the “metabolic syndrome” Dr. Blaylock was talking about — red face, bloating, palpitations, chest pain, elevated blood pressure and so I have learned to avoid it. As far as artificial sweeteners, I never liked any of them and so avoided them, but I have many friends who use them and it is like they don’t want to hear about the health concerns so they’ll have to learn the hard way I guess.

#19 — thanks for the tip on sweeteners being added to lipstick and lip gloss. I had never heard that.

40. Bernice says:

How about doing something on Splenda… I almost died from using Splenda (kidney failure and congestive heart failure) and the company took no responsibility for what they put out… It’s very dangerous.

41. Ali says:

This is a wierd affect of aspartame that I have not heard of anyone else having. I drank crystal light a lot about 6 years ago in an attempt to get more liquid into me and it made my pee burn. It was horribly uncomfortable. I didn’t know what was wrong but I stopped the crystal light and it stopped.