Is It Safe to Swim in Chlorinated Pools : The Renegade Health Show Episode #579

Friday May 28, 2010 | BY |

Today I answer a boatload of questions in an attempt to catch up to the growing queue…

Here are the ones that I address…

- What is both of your outlooks on salt water flushes for cleansing?

- Is sprouted wheat gluten?

- Are you familiar with Nourishing Traditions and isn’t raw food supposed to be a part of the NT diet?

- If the stones are made of the olive oil and citrus juice, then why do the number of stones that are expelled from the body decrease each time you cleanse?

- When you fast the chemicals get sequestered deeper into the fatty tissue…any thoughts?

- Is MMS different from MSM? How and Why? What EXACTLY is it for?

- When you say MMS, are you talking about chlorine dioxide?

- Is swimming in chlorinated pools bad for you?

- Which is better do you think, very short term but often water fasting, or longer and less often?

- When you are referring to herbs, are you referring to culinary herbs (aka cilantro, oregano, thyme), or medicinal/therapeutic herbs (cordyceps, maca, shilajit)? What are your views on the use of therapeutic herbs under the guidance of a licensed natural health care practitioner?

Your question of the day: Do you swim in chlorinated pools?

1. Misty says:

any thoughts on air quality in norhtern california, especially sonoma county? i have only lived there 3 years, but in the spring i can actually smell the pesticides, i dont hear many people talking about this and i am just concerned? any thoughts on the pesticides being used on the grapes and air quality and genernal health?

2. Sheryl says:

No I do not swim in chlorinated pools – I found it dried my skin & the fumes (smell) I could not handled any more. The YMCA’s thru out America are starting to convert to a Reverse Osmosis System. Because the Swim Teams were experiencing respiratory problems & negative skin conditions relating to chlorine. There is a water filter & Reverse Osmosis in the home I am staying in. Like showing in rain water. I take a shower head filter & above sink filter whenever I travel (unless there is already a filtered system) I feel pure water is number 1 on the list to radiant health.

3. Narelle Buckman says:

Hi Kev, Greetings from Brisbane, Australia! I’ve just discovered the Renegade Health Show this week on the internet, and watching you answer questions, I am amazed with your knowledge, and how you encourage people. Your face looks so vibrant and your eyes so clear – you are a great ambassador for better health from a more natural eating plan.

4. Adam says:

I had asked about swimming in chlorinated pools because my brother and niece go swimming weekly all summer. My niece is only 4 years old and I mentioned to them that is probably isn’t that smart but she loves it so much I doubt they will stop. I haven’t seem much about it online but only concluded that if showering in or drinking chlorinated water is bad then certainly swimming must be. What can someone do as a countermeasure to swimming in a chlorinated pool?

5. Eli says:

Thanks for making this video. I was actually wondering myself… I used to swim in chlorinated pools and had a bad reaction to it. My skin was so dry, it was itching all the time. I thought I might be allergic or something. After 2 weeks of swimming in there every day, I had a yeast infection…
    So… no more swimming in the chlorinated pool for me! Haha!

6. Jay says:

Good info on avoiding chlorine although a huge reason is that chlorine in the body competes with iodine which is necessary for proper thyroid function along with many other cell processes. Also you might want to do a bit more in depth research on the use of bromine in pools, etc. It seems that bromine (fluoride too) also interferes with iodine in the body. Iodine is really the only halogen that your body needs any great amount of. A good place to start is David Brownstein’s work. By the way I really enjoyed your series from Costa Rica – looks like a good possibility for the next vacation.

7. moonchild says:

swimming in chlorinated pool is definitely very bad. I have an asthmatic son and myself have asthma as well. every time we go swimming in chlorine water we have breathing troubles. And my other children always get sick with headache and stomach upset over night. I do have my children taking a shower with clean and clear water and of course soap that is not toxic, most often doctor bronner’s castille soap. That takes the edge a bit of, and i also let them drink plenty of fresh water. I live in a spring protection zone and have my own well water, therefore my water is very pur.
    I do not let the swim very often in chlorine pools. We go to the springs a lot, and i keep telling people to rather have saltwater pools. it is more cheap anyway.

8. Kenji says:

Wow. I have been trying to research whether or not it is safe to swim in a chlorinated pool just today. Two natural practitioners told me that I should stay out of the chlorine because my thyroid is obviously struggling. Even though all of my blood tests continue to be normal my thyroid is “slightly larger than average but still within normal limits” and has three nodules. I am also struggling with my weight, and have a low body temp. Do you have any reliable info on the effects of chlorine on the thyroid? As with everything I am finding varied and confusing information, studies that support both sides of the story, and a lot of conjecture and opinion. :) Thank you so much for the work that you do.

9. Peg says:

I know at least two of the wellness centers here have gone to saline pools instead of chlorine. So much nicer!

10. Lorien says:

Nope, no chlorine for me. I hate the smell, it makes my skin icky and I never feel refreshed afterwards. I prefer the ocean or the pond down the road.

11. Ryan says:

I don’t swim in chlorinated pools anymore. times are a changing. Although, it is interesting to see wildlife often entering chlorinated pools (frogs, geese, ducks) for whatever reason. They don’t seem to be initially deterred by them.

12. Kevin, thanks for answering my question about your opinion on herbs! I’m glad you stressed the importance of always consulting with a licensed natural health practitioner before taking any herbal product, because most of the time when either herbal supplementation doesn’t work or it produces an unpleasant side effect, it is either due to taking the wrong formula or taking something of low quality.

13. P.S. As a practitioner of Chinese Medicine and functional medicine, I would like to clear up the controversial issue about raw foods contributing to “spleen qi deficiency” according to Chinese Medicine. If you can contact me by email or facebook, I’ll give you the whole lowdown on this issue.

14. Ellen says:

I noticed when I do my skin feels and looks depleted, and even though I wear goggles my eyes burn for a couple days.

15. Tony says:

Doesn’t chlorine interfer with the proper function of the thyroid gland?

16. nick says:

I stopped swimming in chlorinated pools a few years ago; when I did and I had hair it wuld get really stiff. I use a filter in my shower @ home too for chlorine but it does not take out the floride though. I have not seen a shower chlorine & florine
    filter yet.

17. Jana says:

Bromine is a toxic halide. Other toxic halides include chlorine, fluoride, and perchlorate (often used in fireworks). The only desirable halide for us is iodine. The recent topic about seaweed and body odor actually ties into this subject. Seaweed is a good dietary source of iodine. If enough iodine is consumed, stinky urine and body odor can occur, indicating detoxing of bromine. A good book to read on this topic is Iodine: Why you need and why you can’t live without by Dr Brownstein. A lab that does bromine testing has some information also at http://www.hakalalabs.com/bromide.html

One time I swam in a salt water pool in Sydney, and I loved. I don’t know why they’re so scarce.

18. Kym Hutcheon says:

I also found my hair and skin didn’t react well to chlorinated pools. That I can stop. I’m more concerned about what I have to shower in.

When it heats up here in the Summer, the smell of chlorine and whatever other chemicals in the water is really strong. I heard the ‘authorities’ boost the level to kill off the extra Summer bacteria.

Has anyone seen any kind of reasonably priced shower-filter system you can buy online? I’ve been looking around for a while but haven’t seen anything that looks plausible.

19. esther says:

Where can we find out info about alternatives to chlorinated pools? In my city all the public pools are like this.

20. Jim says:

My doctors told me to stay out of chlorinated water because it compromises the immune system. We switched to a peroxide based product (bacacil) and were much happier and healthier. A local pool uses salt for purification. That works well, too.

21. Shirin says:

I am also interested in alternatives to chlorinated pools. I have been wanting to send my daughter to swimming classes. But I have been delaying it because I dont want to compromise her immune system from exposure to chlorine. Any suggestions?

22. Just a few weeks ago I swam in chlorine pool but I don’t swim in any pools anymore because I was researching a lot on different things and one thing keep going in my head when I was swimming was a documentary I saw. In the movie a person said it doesn’t matter if u drink bottle water your body still absorbs the toxins in tap water every time you bathe. So swimming there I was thinking how much toxins I’m absorbing? ….if chlorine is not safe to drink it can’t be safe to swim in.
    Besides, I feel so guilty swimming in pool full of water when there other people in this world that needs this water. This world is running out of clean water and we are wasting it for our enjoyment and not our needs.

23. Ed says:

Gee,the last time I was in “pinch a penny” to get supplies for a fountain, my lungs did not seal up and refuse the fumes. The coughing and hacking must have just been non-peer reviewed associations from a non-scientific double blind environment.Generally accepted as safe, until people are dead in the parking spaces.

24. Paul says:

i love swimming it keeps me fit unfortunately it is chlorinated to compensate I just do it twice week in summer and I make sure I juice heavily using supplements to remove these chemicals in the body such as sea weed and cilantro and a natural product called NO chem-I also cover my self with organic coconut oil and hopefully slow down the absorption process-I wish i could find a better pool but for now that is what i do- I beleive in moderation

25. Kuru says:

I know someone who did the gall bladder flush 14 times until he got NO more stones! Why would the body expel the olive oil in the form of a stone? Plain olive oil at body temperature would be liquid. At that point the oil would be absorbed as nutrition, or eliminated naturally. I strongly believe the stones expelled are GB waste. Mine have decreased each time for 3 flushes.

Do you know that Dr. Robert Young is a strong believer in the body’s need for salt as a vital nutrient? He and others (David Brownstein, MD, for one) have written about “why (the right kind of) salt is the most misunderstood nutrient.” He sights adrenal disorders, fatigue, headaches, thyroid disorders, immune function and more as areas where salt can help. Look what salt water is doing for your plants!

Lastly, Kevin, have you considered getting the lasiks surgery for your eyes? I think I’m noticing some stress from contacts. I got the surgery 10 years ago, and it was such a great decision. I know lots of people who are thrilled with the results, in case you’re interested.

26. Bea says:

Kevin, bromine is toxic. Both bromine, chlorine and iodine are in the halogen family. Increase uptake of bromine binds the thyroid iodine receptors and prevent the uptake of iodine. many processed food are brominated/chlorinated.

27. Jonathan says:

I do not swim in chlorinated pools. For a good shower filter, aquasana’s water filter looks good, as well as Dr. Mercola’s. I do not have a shower filter (wish I could afford one); I try to keep my showers short. I wonder how one could use salt or hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine in a personal home pool?

28. Jonathan says:

Re: lasiks surgery, Kuru, I’m glad it worked for you. However, it can be risky. I improved my vision and got rid of my glasses by using eyerobics (based on Dr. Bates’ information) and pinhole glasses. They are awesome!

29. Sophia says:

I swam in chlorinated pools and saw a worker dump blue stuff in the pool-yuck!!!

30. Stefanie says:

A couple years ago I started swimming in an indoor public pool, but that didn’t lasts, I guess my reason was kinda vain: I was letting my hair grow, and this lady that had been swimming there for over 5 years almost every day, she said her hair was hip length but she had to cut it chin length because the chlorine had damaged it. Those cap things did not work for my hair, I have extremely thick hair, tons of it. So that’s why I stopped. Hearing this, I’m glad I stopped going.

-Stef.
    22 years of age

31. Do you have any recommendation for treating continous MRSA skin infection, Have gone to the Dr. a lot for this, I did find out that I am really allergic to the grasses in Cali where I live right now. I am following weston a price, going to a whole food/raw diet, drinking stinging nettle and oat straw infussion, code liver oil and 12. 5 mg of Iodine. Along with allergy medication. Again Do you have any recommendations

32. Sandi Seegert says:

I recently read that bromine can be worse as far as skin reactions than chlorine in pools. Bromine can cause skin rashes and asthmatic reactions(more than chlorine) so I would steer clear of those. As a certified pool operator, one of the first things that we learned is that bromine pools are ten times nastier than a chlorinated pool (I think it’s due to the higher temps of water) and unless that water was just changed, stay out of it!!!

33. Sandi Seegert says:

I totally agree with Bea – comment 18

34. Kuru says:

Jonathan (20), of course there are risks to everything, but I have not heard one person be sorry for having Lasiks surgery. Most people shout for joy! I do love exercising my eyes too, and can see an immediate improvement. However for someone with very poor vision (like me and probably Kevin), Bates is not enough.

35. Veronika says:

I’ve tried looking at online resources for non-chlorinated pools, but I couldn’t find any in my area that were 100% chlorine-free. The ones I did find just had smaller percentages of chlorine.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area know about chlorine-free pools?

36. Veronika says:

Oh, and thank you Kevin for addressing so many questions! =)

37. Raluca says:

After reading on NaturalNews about the Lg Sonic I bought one for my small swimming pool. But the water turns green and foggy just like I would not use anything. So please, if you know any safe water treatment, please share! How could I use the salt? Does it involve some kind of machine? Or just throwing salt in there?

Thank you for addressing this.

38. Gabriel says:

Jonathan (20) and Kuru (25):
    One of the best approach for improving vision is the Bates method and it is not about eye exercises, is more about good vision habits.
    I recommend “Relearning to See” by Thomas R. Quackenbush. You will find all the information.

=)

39. Didiydi says:

Many great questions today!
    I’ve heard that Chinese cook everything because that’s the best they could come up with to minimize the bacteria in dirty water and produce, which was a big problem thousands of years ago. However, it’s 21st century now. I also find they do have a point that not everyone can take just raw foods, and I’ve recovered my weak spleen (many people have that problem when try to go raw) on cooked food first. Another problem with raw is oxalates in vegetables, and I’m sensitive to that as well.
    My main comment to you is actually about fasting. Since many people are disillusioned by doctors and try to heal themselves please pay attention when you approve of fast. I’ve learned that with in case of mercury poisoning water fasting undeniably aggravates my condition, even though I removed amalgams 7m ago and did a lot of chelating. 3 days into the fast I got ‘lump in throat’ feeling I had before the operation, my hands and feet were starting to get numb a lot quicker and for longer periods of time just to name a few problems. I wasn’t taking mercury chelator with water, but even when I start it doesn’t help much. 90% of mercury is removed through bowels, and if that’s not possible (constipation, irregular BM) mercury just circulates right back to where it was. I’d say who ever is toxic a day or two will help, just so the body doesn’t have to spend energy on digestion, and goes immediately into cleansing mode, but if there is no bowel movement, one should stop or take enemas/colonics. I also have other heavy metal poisoning and for most of them body needs proper chelator to get rid of, it can’t do it on it’s own. I’ve heard that borax helps for fluoride.
    As for chlorine- I became so sensitive to it since the tap water in London is just horrible. I guess it’s not just chlorine but also all the pharmaceuticals we breath in while taking a shower. I bought a cheap £25 shower filter and it’s fantastic. I can take hot water baths and breath in and it doesn’t bother me at all anymore. For those interested in chelating, I can recommend you research Liquid Needle body soak- it’s for toxins and heavy metals, something to do with frequencies. It is just off the charts amazing. I felt the difference in days, literally all the pain would go away and my limbs are not numb anymore. Wish I knew about it sooner.

40. Mary says:

We just bought an above-the-ground pool from walmart.com. With it, we purchased a salt water pump…no chemicals. I think the whole pkg. including a purchased solar blanket and sprinkler was $500.

41. Yves says:

Hi Kevin,
    Do you know of any remedy for “Collitis” or also called “Ulcerising Collitis”?
    Thanks,

Yves.

42. LeAnn says:

Any thoughts on healing cirrhosis of the liver? Caused by fatty liver (aka poor lifestyle) Fasting for healing?

43. Diana says:

I try to avoid swimming in chlorinated pools. Since I was 15 I’ve reacted to even just smelling chlorine (I get itchy eyes, itchy throat, stuffed up). So now I go to lakes, the ocean, or look for salt water pools. I don’t think it is good for anyone to absorb chlorine through their biggest organ (skin).

44. Jon says:

Chinese medicine has been around a long time. The difference in gianni’s comments are that he confuses ethical public traditions with medicine. People really do not change that much. YES chinese medicine was devised a long time ago and traditionalists seem to fail to recognize that we and the environment in all fashions are yang predominant. This means heat predominant people should get on the raw foods more. Yin focused people should do some yet not all raw foods. Universally balance is always true.

45. Rex says:

About Chlorinated Pools -
    If you can smell “chlorine”, the pool is out of balance chemically. What you are smelling is chloramine, which is a type of ammonia – great bacteria food. It used to be so common that this smell was identified as chlorine smell and assumed to be normal. It’s not – if you can smell chlorine, stay away.

A pool using an automated chlorine controller balances pH and ORP (measures the action of the chlorine) – if this is set up correctly, there is no chlorine smell, the water feels clean. It is using only enough chlorine to disinfect, and the pH is kept at the right level for the chlorine to be effective. This is relatively safe for short periods – certainly safer than swimming in untreated public water. Most large pools use these now because they reduce chlorine usage dramatically – and reduce liability exposure from chlorine toxicity.

So why do we use chlorine at all – government rules of course. Ozonation is much better but is not allowed in public pools in many places, though I haven’t checked this in many years. Also great is hydrogen peroxide – this is often used in hot tubs. I swam in a private pool treated with H202 and it felt great.

46. kate says:

I will sometimes go in the hottub to soothe my muscles, but it does irritate my skin sometimes. If I swam regularly, I would find a saltwater pool.

47. Toni says:

This year Walmart and Toys Rus have a salt water filter for pools, that is what we are doing this year will NOT swim in chlorine anymore!
    Toni

48. Tamikko says:

I never swim in chlorinated pools anymore. I’ve always felt allergic too the chlorine. I get red eyes immediately, want to sneeze continuously, and get a gross sick fleeting feeling like I need to get out or I’m going to scratch my skin off. eww! I love lakes :)

49. Gudni says:

I think there is a different amount of chlorine in different countries. But I am sure it is always bad. About the logic of having been around for ten thousand years: Beheading has been around for this long because it works really well. It is swift and produces instant death and is very graphic so it works as a warning for others (maybe). It works better then what is used in America (the only country in the western world that still kills its prisoners) I guess in terms of swift death but it is not as clean. So after this unpleasant logic then you can say that Chinese medicine has been for that long because it works well. But there might be another logic for skipping raw food in the old days and that was simply food poisoning. I understand that there is still a problem in the urban areas in relation to disease caused by insanitary conditions. But then again it is said that it creates cold condition in the body. But exercising could counteract that and it could make sense. There seems to be always high emphasis on exercise in the raw community.

50. Leam says:

No – I can’t even be near a chlorinated pool with out reacting to the smell.

I’m not sure the question about salt water flush was answered – it is a large quantity of water (I think 32oz) and about 2 tsp of salt that one drinks all at once on an empty stomach. It’s a component of the master cleanse diet I believe. It “cleanse out the pipes” as is said.

51. My feeling is that Chlorine is a known toxic gas and your skin is the largest organ in your body which can absorb almost everything. Obviously, your skin is going to absorb this toxin as well as others that are in the air that we breathe, the food we eat, etc. My feeling is that people should swim in the ocean or a lake instead of a public pool.

52. Bev says:

Researched ways to avoid Chlorine a year or so ago but found that the alternatives, other than salt water which means buying new equipment, all had some serious drawbacks.

So we solved the problem by putting the Chlorine in the pool late at night and then swimming in the afternoon when the Chlorine is gone. Since just two people use the pool this works for us….wouldn’t work in a public pool.

Kevin the whites of your eyes and your teeth look so white.

Enjoy your new office!

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

53. Thomas says:

This is both informative and disturbing information about salt-water and “chlorine-free” pools:

There is also a strong connection between lung problems and time spent in a natatorium breathing chlorine-saturated air.
    Apparently chlorinated pools are safer when outdoors because at least the air gets refreshed by the wind (you hope).

If you have the space, a natural pool seems a great idea:

Good thing we have oceans, lakes, rivers and ponds. :-)

54. Richard says:

I know two sisters, now approaching 60, who swam every day on the swim team in Chlorinated pools for years spending hours each day when they were both young. Now both have major health problems one just got her leg amputated and the other has a major disease which is not curable. Did they get it from the chlorine?
    I have wondered about both of them and connected the effects of their past for years. I can’t say for sure but it sure is something to think about. If I was to bet on it I would say yes.
    Would I now risk my life to soak in a known poison. no way!
    Richard

55. mak says:

Kevin, please do us a favor an invest some time getting good info about what is the most approachable and natural way to filter our swimming pools…we live in Fla, hard to avoid them. Doctor recommended water therapy and I won’t do it for fear of my immune system getting more compromised. THANK YOU ALREADY!!!

56. Jan says:

I do not swim in any kind of pool. Several years ago I read something about oxygen for pools. The book said something about bacteria can not live in a high oxygen level. Sorry I do not remember the details of how it is done. If anyone is interested in reading about this I read it in a book by Kevin Trudeau.

57. Cheryl Hayman says:

As far as swimming in chlorinated pools..I did so in my colllege years and had red teary eyes for the rest of the day when I swam for 2 hrs even wi goggles..now in my 50′s I went back to swimming because of back and knee problems, and I deep water jog wi a belt that keeps my head out of the water.. I do it for an hour or 2 a number of times a week for the last 5 or 6 yrs and the benefits I get from the exercise I feel outweighs the dry skin i get from it..(so far the only noticeable symptom I can tell I get, I use extra lotion) I guess it is a trade off..swimming wi chlorine or no exercise at all?

58. Nick says:

Sounds interesting, but the watch will have to wait, as it’s too late. Just re salt water flush. I prefer it over colonics, cuz it goes with the normal flow rather than counter flow. Both methods require replacing & nurturing/resetting the whole spectrum of differing flora along the whole alimentary canal. Ok, well with colonics it’s only the lower part. But then doesn’t the salt have–what’s it called–an extruding effect on toxins? Plus, it’s way cheaper, DIY, and so empowering way, than deferring to another pro, & you gotta pay for it, ugh.

59. I don’t swim much anymore, but when I do, it is in a chlorinated pool as I have never heard of any other.
    When I swim more than once a week, the chlorine gets in the pores and I stink. So I never established the routine.

60. Chris & Sara says:

No more chlorine pools/spa for us. Im sure we get plenty in our shower!

We are both really sensitive to the smell and it really dries you out. Not to mention the hair turning green.

As for the bromine. The spa at our last house used it and it is supposedly better for you. But we had the same feeling as chlorine. Too drying. And if you actually read the label, it has all kinds of warnings about not inhaling, eating, touching, etc. So why would we want to soak in it? Didnt like that alternative.

I do really miss that hot tub though, on the edge of a gulch with the moon hangin low… mmmmm. The next one we have, we will do the salt water system.

The public pool thing is scary no matter what they use. Cant help but to think of it as a “human soup bowl” eeeeewwwww…

Good luck on your new office! Sending you love and abundance on your new chapter~

C&S

61. Cindy says:

I swim in a public, indoor, heated chlorinated pool twice a week. I have been concerned about the chlorine as my skin still smells of it even after i have showered, but it has been the saving grace to helping me improve my health and cope better with Chronic fatigue Syndrome. Sometimes, or it seems alot nowdays, you have to weigh the good and the bad of things. I have always wondered though if this is a contributing factor to my ‘unexplained’ infertility. It is the one exercise that i stick to rain, hail or shine so i really don’t want to give it up and there are no other alternative pools in my area.

62. Nick says:

Holy Cow Kevin, this time you really fell short on your prep for this Q on the Salt Water Flush, cuz it is completely different than a high salt content diet. 1st off, the amount of salt used in a one shot litre amount is, I think, one teaspoon. This mineralizes the water so much it’s no longer taken up by the kidneys & peeed out, but with the added weight from the mineralization the body takes it as if it’s food so then flushes thru the colon & bowel… Then where a doctor will say to stay off the salt, he’s thinkin’ SAD ol’ table salt, not sea salt, nor do they council to stay hydrated. It’s common in emergency rooms to be given saline IV, but it’s rare for them to council patients on how to, or even just to, orally rehydrate. Pedialyte, an over the counter product mainly for rehydrating babies & children after fevers, puking, diahhrea and such is composed of salt, potassium & sugars. If people are hydrated then salt can be used & only to keep an isotonic balance between intercellular fluid & intracellular fluid. If sea salt is used the amount needed for balanced hydration will be enough mineral nourishment for the bones & maybe even for the cell structure, to keep each cell open for business of living: respiration, hydration, nourishing & relieving of waste. I believe the minerals are stripped from sea or rock salt cuz on commercial scale they’re no longer at the trace level, so sold off separately. I know my research has holes in it, falling short in places too. & I know this is a contentious issue. I’ve read a number of commenters on your site state very confidently that salt only be taken thru our food in organic forms. I’ve read one say no to even seaweed. I believe our bones & teeth are mineral & matched to build & replace & so nourish us, right down to the bones

63. Nick says:

Oh yeah, for the purpose of a cleanse, yeah, there is the old prob of baby (e.g. intestinal flora) getting flushed with the bathwater. Now we can get a wide spectrum of beneficial bacteria, both in number of strains as well as for the mouth and bowel. If they’re available up here in Canada I bet they’re down in the US too.

Then check out ozone. Tri-atomic oxygen is used in some swimming pools. LA uses ozone as its primary treatment for its water supply. Ozone has been used internally as medicine in Europe & is offered at centers in Mexico…& successfully, I might add.

64. france amala says:

iknow that some universities in quebec use ozone instead of chlorine
    look in that direction may be if you search for an alternative

65. Lana says:

No chlorine pools for our family. Actually no public pools either. Every time our kids would swim in a pool when they were little they would get sick. No exaggeration! By the time they were about 7 &8 we were done with it! We had no doubt this was not just coincidence.
    With much respect and love, I do have to say, I think you misunderstood the “salt water flush” question also. But I know you and I am sure it will be corrected :)

66. Brigitte says:

Proceed with caution on the Lasix surgery. Despite the claims of someone above that has never heard of “anyone” who has had problems, there have been many people who have night vision problems years later.

67. Beth says:

I grew up swimming in chlorine pools (public as well as private).
    I would much prefer to swim in a salt water pool, but they are very hard to come by. Still trying to convince my parents to switch theirs to salt water.

68. Shannon says:

We have a hot tub that uses bromine. We want to get rid of it because it cost too much to convert to ozone and I have a reaction to the bromine.

I have learned so much from you and I appreciate all the research that you do. Recently, however, you have made a few comments about Liver/Gallbladder flushes that makes me think you you’ve done very little research on them. Check out Andreas Moritz’s book on the subject. My experience in doing 6 flushes over the last 7 months has lined up with what he writes in his book. I am dealing with lyme disease and the flushes have been very helpful to me.

69. Christa says:

I am so glad that the cholorine in public pools has finally been addressed. It is so hard because I have a four year old and I really want her to have swim lessons and experience the water. We do not own our own personal pool so that’s not an option. I would really love to know more or help in finding someplace that I could take my daughter to have the benefits of swimming but without comprimising her health. Thanks, I would love any suggesstions.

70. Stephanie says:

I will swim in a chlorinated pool, but ever so rarely. In Austin, fortunately, we have Barton Springs and Deep Eddy! Yay for spring-fed public swimming holes!

71. Basia says:

Believe it or not, but your show actually inspired me to ask if you would consider making a show on how to detoxify the body from mercury.

(Chain of thought: Chlorine is a halogen, like iodine – which chelates mercury and thus can help bring out mercury from the body)

72. Vonciele says:

We do use some chorine in our pool but very little is needed and only on occasion, as we use a product called a Floatron that is solar powered and has a copper rod that actually ionizes the water. We have used it for years and it has greatly reduced our use of chlorine. Not sure if anyone knows of any reason that this would be bad? It works great on keeping the water nice and clear with very little chemicals used during our swim season.

On the gallbladder flush, I did it once years ago as part of a larger cleanse and I have to tell you, my first thought when I saw the results was, this is just a really good natural health “trick”. Looked like lemon pulp coated in oil and bile to me. But, once when I was thought to have a gallstone causing me pain, I did treat myself while waiting for several days to have the ultrasound test that the doctor ordered. I drank only fresh apple juice for a couple of days and had 2-3 glass of fresh juice everyday until test while slowly adding food back to diet and when I finally had the ultrasound, my pain was gone and the test saw nothing. I believe the apple juice helped dissolve the stone so it could pass.

73. Patti says:

We have a salt water pool. We first learned about salt water pools from our swim teacher who had one. Salt water is more beneficial for our boys who have asthma and eczema. Check with pool companies about converting your pool to salt water or build it as a salt water pool. The equipment is different but easier to manage than a chlorine pool. Periodically we add salt to keep our salt level at the recommendation of the equipment we have. The pool does generate a small amount of chlorine from the salt somehow which we have been told is necessary to prevent algae. There is absolutely no smell and the pool water taste salty. The salt we add can be purchased from any grocery store or hardware store.

74. Patti says:

And I forgot to mention that every time my kids plead to swim in the our subdivisions pool for a party they are sick. Finally this year they have decided to avoid those end of year parties on their own. Of course it is a chlorine pool.

75. When chlorine comes in contact with organic material organochlorines are created. Organochlorines are toxic and proven to cause numerous health issues.
    The US govt almost banned the use of chlorine in 1994. An alternative to chlorine, created by NASA, is available for all uses of chlorine but the conversion is still being fought by chemical companies.
    If you have a chlorinated pool it’s time to convert to copper ionization. The only healthy disinfectant.