How to Make Rejuvelac with Chef Susan Teton Campbell : The Renegade Health Show Episode #576

Tuesday May 25 | BY |

Yesterday, I had a chance to interview Chef Susan Teton Campbell again…

This time, we spent the whole hour talking about fermenting foods. There was a ton of great info on cultured vegetables, rejuvelac, honey wine and more.

In this episode, we discuss how to make rejuvelac as well as honey wine.

Very cool topics!

Your question of the day: Have you ever had honey wine?

If you want to check out Chef Susan Teton Campbell’s DVD series Essential Cuisine, please click here: http://www.chefteton.com

Chef Susan Teton

Chef Susan Teton

Susan Teton has been a specialty chef, nutritionist and culinary instructor for over 20 years. She worked with John Robbins, author of Diet for a New America, while authoring the Healthy School Lunch Action Guide and pioneering an award winning national program. After years of studying with notable health professionals, and creating menu plans for large resorts and celebrities, Chef Teton created Essential Cuisine, a culinary practice that integrates the culinary styles of raw, cooked and cultured to create a diet similar to the celebrated Centenarians.

Essential Cuisine is a comprehensive “Lifestyle Diet” made available with a 6-Set DVD series and e-book. Her new 4-Week Dietary Makeover includes coaching instruction with all the segments in her DVD series, including award-winning recipes, curriculum and audio series. Read more about her at her website, Chef Teton.

1. I’ve read that the Hippocrates Institute and/or Brian Clement no longer recommends rejuvelac because of the possibility of growing harmful bacteria … Is that still their position?

Never had honey wine …

2. andy covitz says:

Honey Wine: Is not alcohol a poison to the system. Is not the buzz the brain being damaged? Or is a little poison a good thing? I stear clear of even a little poison personally.

3. Melissa says:

Thank you for this video! Great info. I have not tried honey wine but it sounds pretty amazing.

4. I have celiac disease and cannot use wheat but would love to try rejuvelac. Can rejuvelac be made with another grain, (such as rice, millet, quinoa) that is gluten free?

5. lynette says:

MEAD ME IN KEY WEST!ha ha! that was awesome about the honey and fermentation! going to try it! we had hives in the keys and had to check for water content.that would be so benefical to all of us if u can come up with a safe sunscreen!maybe a biting bug repellant too? thank you so much!peace Lynette

6. Yuri Elkaim says:

Sounds like a great recipe. I’ll definitely be giving that one a shot. Thanks for sharing.

7. Kathryn says:

No, but it sure sounds interesting and more like an ancient wine.

8. Eric P. says:

Mead is the most delicious beverage ever created!!! I’ve never made it before, but I will, now that I know how 🙂

9. ann says:

I met a guy in Gainesville that made mead from all different kinds honey. This guy was a master! It was delicious and a nice little buzz.

10. Debbie Grezik says:

I was so thrilled that you had Chef Teton Campbell on your show !!! I love her and have all her DVD”s . And they are “SUPER” Thank you for this fun interview.

11. Deanna says:

Yes, I have had honey mead but it was not home made. I will need to forward this to a friend who would be interested in this. Thanks,
    Deanna

12. mimi says:

Thank you again!

13. Veronika says:

I’ve never had honey wine, but I don’t drink anymore because I don’t want to ingest alcohol.

I agree with a previous commenter (different video) that there will be questions on “old” topics because not everyone is starting from the same place. I put ‘old’ in quotation marks because your topics never get old! The older videos are just as important and current as the recent ones and deserve just as much attention. Kevin, as you say, we should keep our eyes/ears open and continue discussing things so we can get closer to the truth. And of course some questions from the old videos just weren’t answered or they were forgotten about, so that’s another reason to look into those.

Does anyone on here really mind if you address questions from old videos? I’d be curious to know. The videos may have an older date, but the topics are never out-dated.

14. sharon says:

Don’t know if this is an “old” topic, but have you researched alkaline water (Kangan) and whether it does all it claims to do? I’m trying to raise my Ph levels and alkaline water makes sense. Anything else that I could do to get rid of my acidity? I eat tons of greens and so few acidic foods (that I know of).

Hopefully, you’ll answer comment #1 about Brian Clement and rejuvelac. I’m always so scared to make these fermented things on my own…(leaving things out on the counter until they mold/ferment) yet I know if made properly they are essential to good health. However, I’m also leery buying fermented products in a jar or bottle from the store (Kimchee, Kombucha) because they may be required to be pasturized and thus are not effective.

Thanks.

15. Melissa says:

I love honey wine. I had it when I was much younger it was imported from Poland I believe and it came in these darling brown crockery jugs. Considering how easy it seems to prepare I think I might try this sometime this summer. I recall it being, really pleasant,slightly sweet and rather light. I was eating and drinking SAD back then and it was a long time ago.

GREAT SHOW!

16. Irina says:

What a lovely and fun show! Have never tried honey wine, but now that I have the recipe I just might give it a try!

17. Pat G. says:

In the early 80s, my dates would ask me what the smelly dull-looking water with the sediment was on the counter…rejuvalac! I’d make rejuvalac all the time before anyone knew what it was. Thank you Queen Afua of Crown Heights, Brooklyn!

I’ve also fermented grapes. The American Indians called it fire water!

Re mead, I had it the first time at a Renassaince Faire in NY in ’86. Yum!

18. My husband’s been making mead for a while. His most recent batch was ChagaLate – cacao and chaga mead! He also uses spring water and raw honey. VERY tasty stuff. My daughter and I interviewed him about mead-making on our podcast, Sweet Peas Podcast, if you’re interested:

(Episode 49)

And, um, yeah, I’ve had mead. ; )

Take good care!
    Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

19. I’ve had mead years ago. I prefer cabernet
    Can gluten-intolerants drink rejuvelac? If not, do you have another suggestion?

20. James Lindenschmidt says:

Yep, I’m guilty of making mead. 🙂

It’s unbelievably great! I used to brew my own herbal beers (no hops), but the more I brew mead the less interested in beer I get.

I appreciate people’s caution about alcohol. All I can say is that mead feels AMAZING in my body (I don’t drink to excess).

Mead is the oldest fermented beverage known to humankind, literally as far back in history as we can see there is mead. It’s also (perhaps?) the only fermented beverage that can occur in the wild…. when rainwater collects in abandoned beehives. Can you imagine discovering an old hive filled with wild mead?

21. The honey wine sounds good. 🙂 Although it would be hard for me to give up 3 cups of raw honey!

We do want to try making our own Coconut Kefir/yogurt, mmmm cocos!

I get nervous fermenting stuff on the counter or cupboard. Gives me the heebie jeebies because I never know if a bad bacteria got in! The ones in the store taste great, but then you have the pasteurization issue.

We do agree with Veronika above regarding “old” info. It may feel like you are repeating elementary information, and very well may be. But you will always have newbies coming in and even us who have been here with you for a while need to be reminded of these things. Plus we don’t mind hearing again. Remember what you say, “Good question”

Power to the people.

Rawk on.

C&S we love ya!

22. Barbara says:

Hi Guys! No, I haven’t tried the honey wine, but I am going to give it a try soon. I tried to make rejuvelac, but it did not taste good, so I thought I did something wrong, pitched it and never tried it again. Knowing how it is suppose to taste would help, but I am going to give this recipe a try and see what happens. I will let you know. I do make my own sourkraut and kim chee and just cannot seem to get enough of the stuff. TC and GB…

23. hyesun says:

first of all, i LOVE mead! it is so delicious! had it (homemade) for the first time in hawaii last summer.

i’m also wondering if people w/ celiac or gluten sensitivity can drink rejuvelac. i just made some with spelt and it turned out pretty well. but i probably won’t be doing that anymore because of the gluten.

24. hyesun says:

also i ferment stuff all the time – kimchee, coconut water kefir, raw milk kefir, sour cream, rejuvelac, kombucha (although not anymore), etc etc. but how can you tell if it develops bad bacteria? would it taste bad?

25. Here is a link to a gluten free rejuvelac recipe:

The rejuvelac recipe it about halfway down the page. I can’t wait to try it.

26. Jan says:

Never had honey wine. Can the recipe be cut in half and still ferment ok?

Someone asked if people mind you addressing questions from old videos. I like the idea of repeating topics/questions. It reminds me of things I planned on trying and never got around to do.

Thanks for another great learning experience.

27. Here in WA there is a “winery” (meadery?) called Sky River that makes the best mead- they make several varieties, but my FAVORITE is their raspberry mead- it is heavenly. If you are ever in the Pacific NW you should try it for sure! You may be able to order online on their site- not sure.