Can Seaweeds Cause Body Odor : The Renegade Health Show Episode #575

Monday May 24 | BY |

Back in the swing this week with more questions…

We still are really backed up with questions from a few weeks ago and I’m wondering if this new way to do things is working… it seems like there are a lot of questions on specific episodes that have been published a while ago.

We’ll work it out, but I’m more for keeping it fresh!

Today, I answer can seaweeds cause body odor, and a bunch more.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: What do you find causes body odor for you?

1. Kurt says:

Body odor? Toxic food?…

2. Steve says:

Eating too much fresh garlic on a relatively empty stomach then working up a sweat.

3. Barbaraw says:

nervousness – when I get nervous and sweat it’s just a different smell and well it’s not as sweet as I usually smell 🙂 interesting about the fat – though I’ve never been able to pinpoint that connection.

4. Pat G. says:

I splash myself with a little mead (honey wine)! 😉

5. paul says:

Wow, its so funny that you should ask that today. I was just realizing today that I’ve had more body odor recently and was wondering why. When you mentioned that increased fat intake does it for you, it hit me that I’ve been eating too many peanuts lately. I’m guessing thats it. Thanks for the aha!
    Paul

6. Brigitte says:

When I eat “garbage” food, when I eat a lot of garlic, when I’m outside too long in the Florida summer heat.

7. Karen says:

I notice body odor when I eat animal products.

8. Jonathan says:

I think nervousness usually gives me body odor. I use baking soda for deodorant maybe once per week when needed. I just wet my fingertips, sprinkle baking soda on them, rub under the arms, then wash my hands! Works as good as, if not better, than any anti-persperant I’ve ever used.

9. Sharon says:

I can smell whatever spices I eat, especially curry. Probiotics and greens (or liquid chlorophyll) work well to combat odor.

10. Kuru says:

If I get a hint of b.o., shaving does the trick.

Kevin, glad to see you address The Vegetarian Myth. I painstakingly listened to an interview with the author, Lierre Keith, and knew right away she had lived on muffins. I bet she never ate anything raw. Some of her statistics obviously gave little regard to real food. She had some good points about sustainability, but she used the wrong venue to get there. She also sounded so tamasic, I was exhausted after listening! Wonder if her book really influenced anybody.

11. jill says:

When eating some or too many savoury crackers!

12. jill says:

When eating some or too many dehydrated crackers !

13. Charlotte says:

In the past too much raw garlic and raw onions caused odor for me!! Also eating a lot of curry type spices. And yes nervous sweating, lol.
    Interesting about the seaweed. I hope it not true because I do consume a lot of chlorella and dulse 🙂

14. Kym Hutcheon says:

That’s interesting about fat and body odor… but on the other hand, fat is important for libido and mood. How low should you go? Noticed any issues in these areas 80-10-10 people?

Thanks for touching on Lierre Keith – I think I asked about her a while back. As you’d expect, she’s become something of a rallying point for anti-veg people. Which is unfortunate because you can tell pretty quickly the kind of diet she was following was always going to cause problems. I’m amazed she kept going for 20 years.

15. Brenda says:

For sure, GARLIC. ;-D It does taste good though.

16. Seaweed contains all the trace minerals your body needs. The fiber is pretty much insoluable. There is almost no fat in seaweeds. Seaweeds are alkalanizing, so would work on eliminating odors, not adding them. Seaweeds do detox if you are eating large quantities. If you are not used to eating seaweeds, it may take some time for your body to develop the enzymes needed to process the seaweeds. If you are detoxing, use kombu, as it is the most medicinal and has the largest amount of fucoidans or polysaccharides to help eliminate toxins. It is also highest in iodine and actually contains the T3 and T4 hormones, necessary for healthy thyroid function. You can find out more from Ryan Drum or visit my website at http://www.ohsv.net. and I can send you more information.
    Terry d’Selkie – seaweed mermaid from Mendocino, CA

17. Eiki says:

Coffee!

18. Maybe garlic, but since I’ve become vegan I really don’t have much body odor.

Thank you for talking about The Vegetarian Myth, even if briefly. Keith does a grave disservice, IMO, to those genuinely searching for a healthy and humane diet.

19. Michael T. says:

Regarding honey, it is anti-bacterial in its concentrated form, and it can be used on burns to keep the skin sterile and to promote healing.

But when water is added, honey will ferment.

Honey’s antibacterial quality is based on its dryness. Once water is added, bacteria and yeast can grow in it.

Honey wine is mostly water, with a smaller amount of honey.

20. Kristine says:

A little fresh odor on some else is OK (I like garlic so even if I know someone has had garlic I am sympathic). As a matter of fact it isn’t the body odor that gets you, it is the sweat and bacteria which gets into clothes. If someone doesn’t wash the piece clothing, the next time they wear the soiled shirt, Bam! I know, I lived in Europe for 30 years. It can get pretty ripe. So my advice is that the best no-ordorant is clean body, clean clothes.

21. LuAnn Agustin says:

I smell NUTHIN like I USED to but occasionally on extra hot days and I’ve been doing something to work up a sweat then I might get a lil smelly; but like I said, it’s nuthin compared to before my lifestyle change.

22. Hi Kevin, about seaweeds and body odor, they can cause it in certain types of people. According to Ayurveda, seaweeds are irritating to Pitta types, so, a Pitta type is a person with an already strong body odor, strong personality, warm and redish skin, prone to breakouts, doesn’t tolerate heat well, and so on. Because of that, some people do well on a high fat raw diet (which also irritates Pitta and cause body odor as Kevin said) while others don’t. It’s complex, but is worth studying your own body type so you can adapt your high raw diet accordingly. I myself am a Pitta-Vata person, so during hot months I cant tolerate nuts, they even cause me ulcers in my mouth if eaten in excess, while during cold months they are my source of heat.
    About the remedy for body odor, first checking the diet, then the best remedy for me is just lemon juice under my arms. But be careful, it stains the skin if you put it while you are out in the sun.

23. Colleen says:

I definitely notice an unpleasant body odor when I eat animal products or when I eat any sugar.

24. Shaun Johnson says:

“herbal clear sport” w/ tea tree oil & Swiss alps lichen, NO aluminum, dyes, or alcohol. I purchase it from “Sprouts” grocery here near Austin, TX for about 6 or 7 bucks per stick. I’ve tried lots of things from non-processed alum to horse dung but this seems to work the best for me. I don’t know about spreading sticky mead on my pits… But that’s funny, Pat G (4th post). I can’t stand B.O. or sticky/slimy/funky pits so this deoderant is my happy medium… Just kiddin about the dung. You were probably like, “poop?! What?”

25. Sarah says:

Hmmmm! I have noticed my body odor has increased lately but then my diet isn’t up to where I’d like it to be either. I let myself get too liberal with what I eat the last few months. I need to rededicate myself.

26. terri says:

Hello Kevin & AnnMarie,

I have been using the Crystal rock for 15 years with great success. What makes Crystal™ deodorants unique are the powerful, all-natural mineral salts that deliver on a simple promise: preventing body odor from occurring – naturally. Here’s how: mineral salts form a topical layer on the skin, which is inhospitable to bacteria that cause odor. All of our deodorants are hypoallergenic, contain no aluminum chlorohydrate, are paraben free, alcohol-free, non-sticky, and non-staining. They dry instantly and don’t leave any residue.

Are you going to be visiting any place soon?

Terri

27. Quinny says:

For me it used to be indigestion & stress! But I don’t have that anymore…

28. Lorien says:

I don’t have much BO thank goodness, no matter how I eat. I do use a mineral salt block deoderant and have found that the more I use it the less I need. I can forget to put it on for several days and don’t smell. Which is good because I am very active.

29. Sheri says:

I think the reason for questions from old episodes is that people who have just discovered your show (like me) are just now watching all the old ones and therefore having questions now, even though the topic is no longer current.

I really wish I had known about the show from the beginning so that I could have been following along on a timely basis. I love these shows! Thanks so much for doing them!

30. Bill says:

Why was your whole video filmed in the dark?

31. Janet Doane says:

A little bit of Angstrom colloidal silver dabbed in the arm pit works like a charm!

32. Diana says:

Falling off my routine causes body odor for me. That is, eating processed/canned/jarred foods. Anything that is toxic really which then makes my body toxic and therefore I smell…especially in this hot sweaty weather, lol. Drinking alcohol, coffee, and consuming a lot of sugar will also do it. I find when I eat a healthy, whole food, and natural diet and have a good sleeping routine I don’t smell (even while working out!) and my oral hygiene is in mint condition 🙂

Garlic and Indian cuisine are also factors in causing me to smell a little.. my family has informed me of this more than a few times, haha. Last summer I consumed a lot of different mushrooms and I found I had a slight odor during this phase.

To cover up the smell, when I’m not doing so well with my routine, I usually will shower and use baby powder and a body spray.

33. Casey and Mateo says:

Hi Ya, Last spring I started adding yogurt to all our smoothies (dont remember why now) my son loved it. As time went on my knees started to ache so bad i felt like a 150 year old lady and could barley sit or walk. Then I started to smell like a truck driver. It took months and then suddenly one day Kevin says, “too much fat…” and I said “hmm yougurt?”. Then after months of looking at how much fat slowly slowly I was not longer a 150year old truck driver but a beautiful young 35 year old mommah that wasn’t scared to go out any more. In that clearing us stage I went through a cat pee stage too, that’s when i chucked out every single DeoDerant that i had as they all made it worse and the smell even stained my clothes. Oh my goodness. Now I can eat raw garlic no worries, I run up and down no pain and I wont ever consider another Deo. Low fat but good quality fat and I am happy and not smelly.

34. Betty says:

Hey Kev and Ann…
    Lovin…as well as missin your Fitness Fridays!!! 🙁

Any chance you could do an episode on resistance training (nothing hardcore obviously!) to work on lengthening leg muscles?
    Thanks! =)

xoxox

35. Theresa says:

An honest and informative video! I’ve read a lot about eating raw and now feel ready to move beyond the first stages.

One question: How do you view the issue of foods that have different nutrients when they’re cooked — like tomatoes? Only cooked tomatoes, according to my understanding, have cancer-fighting properties.

36. Cherie says:

I get body odor when I am dehydrated.

37. Ed says:

If seaweed consumption causes body odor, triple consumption until body oder goes away. Crystal rock will cut down bacteria but junk food will still smell the same on your greasy exit, I know and checkers will never say so because they smell like that all the time before I eat them. I mean you.Doing better but just had a relapse that made me feel like a oil spill in the shower the next day.I can’t say it won’t happen again as I drinks a bit, but I can now see the cause and effect.Lucky for me castile soap cuts the slick and gives me aroma good vibes.

38. nick says:

I cut the hair under my arms and do not eat any meat or dairy. Yoga and the rebounder will get rid of any excess gas out of your body pretty quick.

39. kate says:

Eating processed food or animal products, and yes fat does have an effect as well. Also anxiety, as several people mentioned. I tried the baking soda under the armpits, but find that if I use more than a little bit, it makes the area quite tender. Maybe it upsets the pH balance, because baking soda is basic? I know there are lymph nodes located there, and they can be quite sensitive.

40. Yuri Elkaim says:

Even if they do body odor there are just too many benefits to sea vegetables to not be eating them. Especially for those with thyroid issues, the iodine from seaweed is a must.

41. Jo says:

Giving up dairy products. Also dairy always gave me bad breath! Thanks for a great show!

42. One year Colorado had a really really tasty crop of peaches, and I lived on them for 3 or 4 days! until I noticed that I smelled like spoiled peaches, as did my hair, my clothes, my bed. Had to wash everything twice to get the smell out! Still love peaches tho!

43. rainbow says:

i was born w/o a sense of smell, so i have little way to know if i smell, being a bit of a solitary being as well with no one to check me out. i am told i have very little smell, if any. some years ago i was on a peace walk and had not found bathing facilities in a bunch of weeks. i simply did air baths every evening, including airing out the peace dress. after almost a month, i was invited in to a very special place, and as we were about to hug hello, i mentioned that it had been quite a while since i had showered. she commented that she had the nose of a bloodhound, and i was not smelly. that was good to know!

question about sea veggies. how can we know they have not absorbed the horrible things that keep going into the oceans? i see some seaweeds being called organic now, and i am curious to know how the ocean can be considered pristine enough to eat the plants from it? thanks! rainbow 🙂

44. John says:

I’ve noticed that cabbage (cooked or raw) causes pretty severe body odor of the gas variety for me and some people I know also. Garlic and onions are probably the worst for BO from the pores for me though. Crystal Roll On Body Deodorant is the best deodorant I have found so far, it last me all day, even through an evening work out.

45. Lynn says:

Hi! I was just wondering about relying on medical testing to determine that you were deficient in certain areas. It seems likely to me that the medical model is limited in it’s actual understanding about what the human body needs. This is the same source of information that tells us that in order to be healthy we need eggs, meat, etc.

My question is, unless you now feel better because of taking these supplements, why would you believe that the levels of Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 need to be as high as the medical establishment has determined?

Thanks for all you do.

Lynn

46. Terry says:

About seaweed and absorbing toxins. First of all, find out your source of seaweed (know your seaweed harvester!). Most seaweed from Japan, Korea and China is grown and mowed(not wild and not hand harvested) and some of it is grown in shipping lanes, so go figure if it is clean or not.
    I know that on the Pacific Coast of Northern California, our seaweed grows wild and is toxin free because we have no heavy industry or pesticide runoff from our watersheds. I have done tests for lead, mercury and cadmium in certain seaweeds because my customers have had questions. The seaweeds always come back clean with no levels of toxins. Please contact me if you have any further questions about seaweeds at http://www.ohsv.net or ohveggies@pacific.net
    Thanks!

47. Elaine says:

I avoid meat and dairy products and coffee. Don’t use anything since I work at home and can wash often.

48. Kevin,

Me too, get bad body odour when I eat too much fat even good one like nuts, avocado, coconut oil etc.

49. Jan says:

If seaweeds do detox is it possible that the detox is causing the odor and not the seaweed?