Can Fasting Reset Hormone Issues : The Renegade Health Show Episode #571

Tuesday May 18, 2010 | BY |

We have a massive back up of questions from the blog now that Priscilla is logging them in a document…

Today, I tackle 10 or so that range from if you should try fasting to help regulate hormones, to oils, exercising while fasting and more.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite spice or herb right now?

1. Aminah says:

I really enjoy curry, but also was recently introduced to a spice from Ethiopia called burberry.

2. Pat G. says:

I’ve water fasted a total of 91 days in 21 and 28-day ncrements since 2003. At 50 I was mistaken for 30 afterwards and immediately got regular periods briefly afterwards. Rosalind Gruben PhD told me to use birth control, because I could very well get pregnant.

3. Diane says:

Great answers today! My favorite – all time – herb is cilantro!!! Love it in salads especially and now grow it in my garden. Yum!!

4. john says:

I love garlic but cannot take it unless over some holiday due to the fact of it’s lingering odor which it worsens over the next day or two. Instead I love all onions especially Vidal onions in salads etc.

5. Peg says:

I married a guy from India so I have collected many spices to do the Indian cooking and I enjoy adding them to my raw food recipes. Cumin is one of my favorites.

6. Cayenne is my new fave spice!

I think water fasting periodically is great. I’ve thought about water fasting one day each week … which is better do you think, very short term but often water fasting, or longer and less often?

7. JoyfullyRaw says:

I love all kinds of fresh basil and thyme. YUM!

8. Kevin, when you are referring to herbs in this video, are you referring to culinary herbs (aka cilantro, oregano, thyme), or medicinal/therapeutic herbs (cordyceps, maca, shilajit)? What are your views on the use of therapeutic herbs under the guidance of a licensed natural health care practitioner?

9. Crystal says:

Fresh Basil is my fav right now. I got a plant a couple of months ago for in the kitchen. It’s doing great even though I snip it almost daily!

10. fresh basil and garlic.
    For the last year I have been craving pesto. Can’t get enough of it.

11. cindy says:

I FOUND A SITE WITH SOME RESTAURANTS IN CALIFORNIA
    INN OF THE SEVETH RAY IS A NICE RESTAURANT SUNDAY BRUNCH IS EXCELLENT TRY TO GET A TABLE BY THE STREAM THE RESTAURANT IS IN THE WOODS ITS ROMANTIC
    Web site: http://www.innoftheseventhray.com

12. Ginger is what I use in so much of my cooking, I adore the smell and the flavor it as well as the it’s versatility. Ginger tea is yummy,too. When it comes to herbs and spices there are so many that are wonderful that it’s tough to single out just one!

13. Louise says:

Right now, raw garlic grated with my new, how did I ever live without it, microplane over just about everything I eat except fruit. Second and third would be cilantro and basil, both fresh and added right before it goes to table.

14. Lish says:

Black pepper & cayenne are staples for me. Garlic features high too.

What cooking methods do you guys use (boiling, steaming, frying, roasting, grilling etc…)? And are there any that you specifically steer away from?

15. Ella Jane says:

I love fresh basil, freshly grated nutmeg, and cardamom!

16. Geri says:

I use fresh garlic, I love it!

17. Charlotte says:

I love fresh parsley and basil from the garden. I also love chervil but I’ve only ever found it when I go to Europe.

18. crow says:

My food has to be spicy with cilantro, chili, tumeric, cumin, and etc.

19. Patrice says:

How unusual is this? My favorite spice at the momentis berbere (from Ethiopia) too. It’s actually a combination of a bunch of different spices that create a very distinct flavor. I have been using it in shiro (Ethiopean garbanzo bean sauce). It’s spicy and delicious over veggies and rice.

Hey Kevin, when are you going to offer RH t-shirts? I’d be honored to wear one ;). Let us know. Thank you.

20. jackie says:

Ceylon Cinnamon!

21. Irina says:

Right now my favorite spice is cardamom – cannot get enough. I cannot decide on a favorite herb, love them all- basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, garlic, chives, ramps. Can’t imagine not having spices and herbs in my dishes.

22. Ivy says:

Mouth question: Google “Thrush” which occurs on the tongue.

Favorite herb: Cammomile in a tea
    Fresh: Garlic (if eaten within 24 hours of harvest)
    Herbs in my garden: chives, onion, garlic, basil, cammomile, parsly, rosemary, oregano, and stevia.

Cooking: I love a curry mix on coconut milk with just about everything. I also blended a mix of herbs I harvest from the garden into a powder and I can use that on everything.

23. Lola says:

I make my own chicken broth from simmering bones for soup. (Obviously we are not vegan.) Instead of pasta in my chicken soup I use just a few cubed potatoes along with a combination of lots of veggies plus parsley. To my delight I’ve discovered Turmeric (cumin…curcumin). It makes the most wonderfully full flavored soup ever! Turmeric is wonderfully heart healthy too. It prevents fibrinogen in the blood (caused by inflammation in the body), thought by current experts to be the cause of heart attack even in our parents time. For so many years cholesterol has been blamed, but only half of heart attack victims have high cholesterol. Since doctors had no other answer they just continued “singing the same tune.” Now we know!

24. Nick says:

Thanks on the tumeric, RJ (8). For me it’s been good old parsley. My mom has macular degeneration so I’ve been going over & making her smoothies with plenty of parsley, as it’s heavy in lutein. Not only is it lutein replete: http://ezinearticles.com/?Health-Benefits-Of-Parsley&id=111028 & this one groups it with tumeric as one of the best: http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/diet_nutrition/ParsleyBenefits.htm Then this one has a vid, Parsing Parsley telling why to use the flat leaf over the curly: http://hubpages.com/hub/Health-Benefits-Of-Parsley –Uh oh, I see in a few of these pages they say you can have too much of a good thing, cautioning not to drink more than a couple ounces of it as a juice. …I don’t think it’s that big a deal, but yeah, to leave room to cover other bases, by taking in other foods, forming the rest of the meal.

25. Nihacc says:

Oregano for dishes & cinnamon for desserts!

26. Mina says:

“Can Fasting Reset Hormon Issues” should be the question today !
    Why talk on spices?

27. Michael T. says:

Yes, I use spices on lots of things. Cinnamon and vanilla on oatmeal. Curry, garlic, cayenne, black pepper, cumin, etc. on rice. Green superfood powders usually have some spices in them for flavor and nutrition, and to help digest and assimilate other foods.

Ginger, turmeric and lemongrass grow in the garden here in Hawaii. Also basil and cilantro.

It’s hard to see why natural hygiene people don’t allow spices. After all, spices are plants, right? Do they think that we should only eat things that can be eaten as a mono meal? What’s the point of that kind of limitation?

I am grateful for spices, they sure keep food interesting!

28. Jan says:

My favorite spice for winter is curry. For summer it is fresh purple basil. I use it in many fresh vegetable soups made in a vita blender.

29. Estella says:

Cummins – love the taste on raw salad (carrots, celery and almonds butter) or in soups, stir fry veggies. Love it!

30. Miranda says:

More on helping hormonal imbalances please – I also wish the question of the day was about resetting hormones through fasting. So many people have hormonal issues as they get older and it’s not often addressed in any detail. Even though I’ve been eating mostly raw vegan, voiding soy products and taking the right supplements for a few years it’s not helping my multiple hormonal imbalances. What helps the most and what makes it worse?

31. First – you guys are great. I love your short but very informative “t.v episodes.” Thank you.

Spices – I use cinnamon, basil, cilantro, and occasionally some fresh thyme and oregano.

32. Jacquie says:

Hmmmm, spice right now has to be cinnamon and herb has to be cilantro. :-)

33. Jackie says:

Right now, cardamom. I had a hard time getting used to the taste of green tea, so I started adding spices to my tea. With cardamom, I also use cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel seed and ginger.

34. Bridget says:

tarragon and mint! Also Frankie G’s new spices and CUMIN : )

35. Dee says:

When I get canker sores, I can trace it to eating too much acidic foods.

Herbs & Spices – Garlic, cilantro, basil, oregano, lavender. ginger.
    I use a combo herbe de provence that I love.

36. Mar Raw says:

Chilies in all kind, especially the “picante” ones, black pepper.

37. Eskimo says:

Question of the day should be “resetting hormones through fasting”!

38. Nanette says:

I love ginger. Especially in a banana smoothie.
    In salads I enjoy parsley.
    With tomatoes I like Basil.

39. Nadia says:

Right now it’s Dr. Yanick’s QuantaCondiment. It’s a ferment of different herbs, spices, olive oil and vinegar. It’s soo good for you and tasty. I use it as salad dressing and use it to make hummus. It’s organic and unheated. It’s in a dark glass bottle. http://www.quantafoods.com

40. Stephanie says:

Black pepper is by far the one I use most. Cumin, paprika (hey, I’m mostly Hungarian!), and cayenne are also big. Other flavorings we use a lot are ACV, garlic and tamari (though I know those are not strictly spices). And, yes – horror of horrors – I still use the dreaded Sea Salt!

41. Lorien says:

I use clove, ginger & cinnamon in my chia/fruit mix in the morning. I use cilantro, cumin, tumeric & garlic in my avocado mix.

42. Black pepper. I have been putting lots of it on my salads lately.

43. Fresh Coriander (cilantro), which is sprinkled on top of every salad and soup. Fresh chillies and a fresh bay leaf go into my homemade lukewarm (as raw as possible) soups from my indoor plants! When it comes to gardening, I have ‘black-fingers’ as opposed to ‘green-fingers'(most things just die on me!), but CHILLI and BAYLEAF I found out to be so so easy to keep alive indoors – if anybody fancies a try!!! Other than that… dried dill leaf, which has a very earthy aroma.

44. Marla king says:

Right now it’s basil. I am surprised at how many of us don’t know how bad black pepper is for you. Stomach cancer is way up for a reason.

45. John says:

I’ve been using a lot of Parsley recently, in my juices and sprinkled on most everything else.

46. Isabel says:

Saffron! I put it in rice, bread, sweet bread, fish, warm milk. It’s delicious!

47. KAREN BEATTIE says:

CHILE AND CAYENNE PAPPER, CELANTRO, BASIL,AND GINGER!

48. Sharon says:

I am getting hungry looking at all the spices! I like all of them! Cilantro, tarragon, mint, pepper, cayenne (hot sauce is my non-raw fave), garlic, pepper, Thai basil, the Ethiopian spices are fantastic but need cooking as do curries or else they are too hard on the stomach. Those are best combined with fat like coconut oil and heated (maybe soaking would do?).