Raw Food Diet Mistakes with Frederic Patenaude : The Renegade Health Show Episode #564

Friday May 7 | BY |

This is our last video of Frederic Patenaude week… LOL!

We’ve had a great time with Frederic and Veronica and have spent hours discussing raw food nutrition, errors, positives, mistakes, benefits and also NON raw food talk. 🙂

Today, Frederic continues on with our discussion on raw food mistakes and the ideal diet.

Your question(s) of the day: Have you ever been on a juice fast AND/OR how are you doing on the Raw Food Challenge?

If you want more information about Frederic Patenaude, please click here: http://www.fredericpatenaude.com/blog

1. LeAnn says:

Doing great on the challenge. What can be done if you aren’t properly digesting the flax seeds? I am even taking plant based enzymes. Am I getting anything from them if they are not being broken down? Help! Thanks so much for all your teaching!

2. Colleen says:

day 3 and day 4 were kind of rough for me. i am assuming that it was detox symptoms i was experiencing. today on day 5 i am feeling absolutely awesome. i feel like i am normalizing to this way of eating now — in only 4 days. it is so strange to say that after such a short period of time. it felt weird to chew food again last night after 3 and a half days of blended food, in fact, my jaw was kind of sore afterwards. i am having so much fun trying all these new recipes and everything is so delicious so far. i did have one yucky smoothie, but that was not the fault of the recipe — i substituted cantaloupe for watermelon in one smoothie recipe and it tasted just horrible to me, so I donated that one to the compost pile and began again with one of the alternate recipes and that one was delicious!

3. Rita says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I am doing the raw food challenge. I’m doing ok with it, but it became much easier for me when I finally picked up on Kevin’s favorite saying, “Just Make It Work For You”. He says that a lot, and it has made this challenge easier for me… Thanks….
    Rita

4. Chris & Sara says:

You guys should take more vacas!!! Never seen Kevin sooo relaxed! Its great.

Never done a juice fast yet. Only smoothies. 3days. Felt good.
    Would love to do a juicy feast~ Sorry that we missed the 7 day challenge on the 1st. Forgot all about it…

Have fun exploring new territories ~

Love ya tons n’ tons!!!

Aloha~
    C&S

5. zion says:

Great Interview. I appreciate his emphasis on health as opposed to just eating 100% raw.
    In regard to the question, I’ve done other fasts, but never a juice fast. I’m looking forward to your posts about it.

6. Jane Magpie says:

LeAnn: Flaxseeds – are you having them whole or ground? Add them ground to liquid and your body will absorb all the goodness – Jane

7. Eli says:

I really really love your show!!! I learn everytime and it’s nice to listen to different opinions… I love open-minded people!

Thank you so much! :o)

8. Kristen Schriver says:

I joined the raw food challenge to learn exactly what 2000 calories was like RAW. I’ve been enlightened by how much food you actually have to eat to meet that intake if you are mainly eating fruits/veggies. I share other people’s experiences where they physically can not eat some of the recopies. The day 3 dinner/one with the cucumbers & green apples – my blender was full to the top. I was only able to eat half. Great exercise – glad I’m doing it.

9. Mar Raw says:

I did a 8 days juicefast, it was liberating.

My next goal is a 30 days juicefast, which I would like to do in summer.

You two are a great inspiration, besos y abrazos!

Marcel

10. TJ says:

I’m on day 2 of a 10-day juice feast. This is my first of this kind. So far, so good!

I have done Master Cleanse a few times in the past (a 7-day, 10-day and 21-day). It was tough, but I liked the results. I felt really good when I got done. You can’t beat the sense of accomplishment when you complete something like that.

Now that I’ve been eating mostly (90+%) raw since January, the detoxing feels less severe so far. It will be nice to go back to raw food afterward. My other fasts/cleanses ended up with me going back to the Standard American Diet afterward… not good. This time, the results should be much more permanent. That will be great.

Thank you both for the wealth of information you provide. Your energy and integrity are a real inspiration.

This is my first time commenting, but I’m a regular viewer.

All the best,
    T

11. Tamikko says:

The longest juice fast I’ve been on was 47 days, which I just finished a month ago. Loved it, but the ending was clear that I needed to get off of it. I’ve done many juice fasts usually around a week or two long.

Q: What is both of your outlooks on salt water flushes for cleansing?
    (I do know a more thorough cleanse can be had with a colon hydrotherapy, but definitely can’t afford to do it, especially more than once).
    I have tried it during my 47 day juice fast and it worked really well. I was unsure though on how often I should do it and what kind of supplement I should have to help it along (like psyllium husk or ground/powdered hemp seed).

12. Peg says:

On days two and three of the challenge, my whole body ached so much it was hard to get up out of the chair. I just hoped that I was detoxing something big. Since then–no aches.

Haven’t done a juice fast yet–some day. 🙂

13. Casey and Mateo says:

Hi ,

I am doing a fast now, started with 3 days of Juice and today is the first day of my water fast.

I did the salt water flush this morning, interesting, will try it again tomorrow. I feel pretty weak in my body, stayed home all day and i felt tingely in my fingers the whole day.

I am drinking teas, pau d’arco, corn silk and Tulsi, or Nettle and Chickweed. I will go back to juice for 3 more days tomorrow. Someone mentioned to me not to go on water alone for too long because I would de-mineralize, interesting point or concern dont know about it.

My husband is gone for one week and my son is easy to prepare food for, banana avacado pudding was dinner, so now’s the time for it.

I am happy with no dishes to wash and after 3 days of juicing i was happy to have a break from washing the juicer 4 times a day.

I am working with my candida now and thought this could move me along faster. Before this I was craving sweets all the time now I am craving salty things. The best juice I made so far was 2 tomato, 2 zucchini, hand full parsley, one clove garlic, and 4 pieces of celery. WOW super yummy, plus i feel my sense of smell and taste are really hightened now.

Great experience to give myself and I kept myself going today by reminding myself that it is only one day out of my whole life to have this experience so I can enjoy it.

14. carleen says:

I did a 25 day juice feast and I have to tell you it was one of the best things I have EVER done for myself. The first 4 days or so is a bit tough as you may feel hunger but once ketosis sets all feelings of hunger seem to go away. At least what I have read the chemistry that occurs at that point is called ketosis. What do I know, but hunger dissappears. I found this to be true with the 3, 10 day master cleanses I have done as well. Juice Feasting is about abundance – its lovely. Costa Rica should be an amazing place to do that at.

15. Tahnee says:

Are there rules on Juiceing?

Meaning are there surten fruits and veggies that you should be together and are there some that should not go together.

How do you make coconut butter homemade please?

If you would like to do a Coconut water fast are there rules on that?

Thanks
    Tahnee

p.s. you are doing grate work keep it up.

16. Kailyn says:

I am doing a cleanse which is smoothies not juice and 100% raw – It has been nearly 6 weeks now and it has been up and down, some days bone tired and some days energised. It has helped using Dr Youngs regieme where you cleanse with hot lemon, then take salts in water – one of his products (this is not a recommendation 🙂 ) Then a green juice and maybe some wheatgrass, for the rest of the day super hydrating with green drinks min 4 litres and raw smoothies. This time it has been easier, the salts help with food cravings, although they have not gone yet. He says they go after a month of actual cleansing, but that remains to be seen.
    I think you have to put a lot of preparation and thought into extremes, and have things in place so you dont fail, like using the salts, which I think can delete easily.
    Just my personal experience.
    🙂
    I am doing this to cure quite extensive cancer, and everyone remarks on how good I look!

17. Sharon says:

The longest juice fast I’ve done was 14 days. I actually prefer it over eating but looking back now I realize I wasn’t consuming enough juice for my level of activity at the time and I was really toxic so I’d get dizzy at times and I overloaded my poor liver. I’m getting a new juicer soon so will do a juice feast for the first time in about 8 years soon. I think it will be a lot better to juice now since my liver is clean and I am no longer dealing with mercury toxicity.

18. Robert Evans says:

Hi Kevin & Ann,
    I really like the presentations.
    I was so stimulated by what Frederic was saying about focusing on health and using the science.
    This approach has worked well for me. I saw myself going from 225 lbs to 165, and I was not focusing on weight loss. I was only battling MS, which has left me legally blind, and physically disabled.
    So far I have been off all priscription and over the counter medicine for 7 years now. Added to that, I am no longer bedridden or wheelchair bound.
    Keep up the passion.
    Bob

19. Maia says:

I didn’t get onboard the 7 day challenge in time so I am starting next week. I have been listening to the calls though. Nice to have the great questions and answers.

My longest juice feast was 21 days about 2 years ago. It was great. I even made juices, froze them and had an ice chest so I could travel out of town for one of the weekends and it worked out great. I was drinking 3 quarts a day of mostly veggie juices. I felt great and had plenty of energy and was never hungry.

Enjoy your juice fast and your travels!

20. Kristine says:

Great interviews as usual. Further, I still have a problem of abusing the fats a bit. I guess I am still craving that fullness feeling… I am very interested to learn on a daily basis about your juice fast, ie what you are juicing, what quantities, etc. Since I am already quite slim I have opted for juicing fasting for 1 to 1.5 days a week followed by a gravity method colonic. This has worked very well for me. This will be my 5th week and I look forward to my juice fasting day. And, for me at this point, the colonic is crucial to the process.

21. kate says:

I attempted a juice fast last weekend, and it was a bad idea. I grew weak, disoriented, and my blood pressure dropped pretty low. I got a headache, and couldn’t do anything. I told my chiropractor, and he said most health professionals nowadays recommend against a juice fast – it is only necessary in select cases.

22. sharon says:

Again, I loved hearing from Frederic….mainly because I believe in eating for health too. We should eat to nourish (maintain/sustain) our bodies. Somewhere along the road, eating got mixed up with entertainment.

But, as I’ve lamented here before, I still haven’t found out for sure what diet is required to achieve perfect health and longevity. I “got” that Frederic eats fruits, vegetables, steamed vegetables (would those be the ones that most people have trouble digesting in the raw state?), and very little nuts and seeds. This is what I am eating now too.

However, I still wonder about grains…well, not grains exactly. I eat cooked amaranth, quinoa, and millet (which I think are seeds), and some brown rice.

Question: I imagine that those seeds can be soaked and sprouted (or just soaked) and eaten raw. Which is the better (more nutritious) form? raw and soaked, or cooked?

Another question: What EXACTLY are the cooked foods that Frederic and Victoria eat? which vegetables do they think are better cooked? any grains? any legumes/beans?

Now that you’ve left their house, it will be hard to ask them that question, but maybe you found that out while you were there.

Since we are all connected, if one of us is sick it affects us all, and if we’re all healthy, we all benefit. Thanks so much for your pursuit of health and sharing it with all of us.

23. Layla says:

I completed my first juice fast at the start of the year for 5 days; my doctor did not recommend me to do it much longer than that – I felt great the whole time and continued on a raw food diet for 21 days after that; I found it to be cleansing and a great way to increase my energy levels. Since then I’ve allowed stress and work to drive my eating patterns a bit more – I’m looking forward to doing another juice fast; but this time would like to apply some of your raw food training and make it a more long term, balanced health approach. Thank you for your information and inspiration. With great appreciation, Layla

24. John says:

I like a lot of what Frederic has to say. Especially how he explains clearly the reason we’ve gone to “concentrated foods” at times throughout history. Unfortunately he’s misinformed about the science regarding enzymes. Your body shouldn’t be producing all of the enzymes required for digestion. When food enters the portion of the stomach called the fundus (also known as the enzymatic portion of the stomach), it begins the process of enzymatic digestion, as long as there are enzymes present in the food. It sits in this portion of the stomach for approximately 40 minutes so that the amino acids can be exposed and the Peptide-Polypeptide conversion can take place. At this stage the hydrochloric acid is only at about a 30 percent concentration and does kill plant enzymes which can survive in a pH of 2 to 12. Pancreatic enzymes only fire up in an alkaline environment (pH 7.8 to 8.3) and are mainly reserved for when food enters the duodenum. The problem with Frederic’s “science” is that it comes from a distorted view of the digestive system. If you only observe 99 percent of the population (eating a cooked and over-processed diet), you would conclude digestion works fine without enzymes being present in food, but it doesn’t mean it works WELL. The science is on the side of enzymes in food.

25. naomi says:

sharon, i’ve been soaking my quinoa, but it doesn’t seem to be getting digested – maybe it does need to be sprouted?? anyone??

26. rudolf says:

have done juice feast back in the time I was still eating sweet fruits. juicing simply colapsed into fruit juicing and it was health disaster. Will likely do juice feast in future purely on veg juices. Interestingly I can digest honey anytime any amount… so instead of fruit juicing I much prefer to do multiday green tea – honey – lemon thingie, which is nearly identical to the typical lemonade cleansing detox.

27. bethany says:

Never tried a juice fast. I don’t have a juicer and straining food from the vitamix seems like a waste of fiber and nutrients. I drink green smoothies daily (no fruit).
    Good luck with your juice fast and I’ll be looking forward to hearing about it.

28. Sue Rushford says:

I’ve juice feasted for 3.5 days once last March at the end of a 4-week detox – and that was the longest I could go – tried to implement juice feast Tuesdays for a while but never made it through a complete day – tried to juice feast again this March at the end of another detox – didn’t make it quite as long. That first juice feast, even tho it was very short, was amazing! I lost weight & had crazy energy – stayed up till 7:00am cleaning out 12 years of files in the office – felt absolutely amazing. I am striving to gain the will-power back to do any type of fasting again – at least juice feasting – cause I know that is the ticket to ‘pressing the reset button’ as they say, and accellerating detoxification. I did not take the Challenge, but I’d love to know what it feels like to worry about not eating enough calories – what a concept!

29. Rita says:

Hi,
    I always love your show. It is so nice to see such an interest in health in so many young people. Great! I was on a juice fast for –get this—6 weeks. Was a little weak and caught the flu after that.. guess it was a little too much. I have to get a doctor to help me with the next time a do it.

30. Betoman says:

I have juice fasted/feasted for three days once and it was good. The hard part is breaking the fast part without over doing it at first.
    Keep on renegading!

31. tessa says:

Another great show; I am so grateful for your daily show guys because it is exposing so many myths that many of us fall into, thinking we are doing great things for our bodies. I was on the SAD diet and feeling terrible and then was Convinced that 100% raw would save me, I was told it would save me…well it didnt and I felt like crap.

This is a great alternative both for the physical health benefits but also because eating this way does not set us up for the kind of guilt and then binge eating that a 100% raw diet does. So on an emotional level I think its healthier too.

Great job!
    Tess

32. marcla says:

Kevin! Update on my dry skin. I have to admit, David Wolfe said, “when you say you’ve tried everything, you haven’t” (or so much the words) I am now realizing those words can not be more true. I thought I had tried everything “TOPICAL”. But a simple colon cleanse has done wonders. I have done colon cleanses thru-out my years of journey, but finally decided to try Dr. Groups Oxi-powder. Well part of the cleanse is the “cocktail” he reccomends. I’m not sure if the cleanse was the key or the cocktail, and the fact that I’ve kept drinking the cocktail after the cleanse…but my skin is no longer a lizard/snake shedding on a daily basis! I’m not drinking the gallon cocktail like during the cleanse, probably 3/4 a gallon a day…but I’ve never seen my skin like this!
    Can the cocktail of aloe juice and ACV be the key? My mom was always telling us girls about ACV and aloe….
    I swear Kevin, my skin has NEVER looked better and like this.
    People, it is true, when you think you’ve tried everything, you indeed haven’t. Something so simple as a water cocktail can be the cure to the “nothing works”. And this was just something from my colon cleanse i decided to keep doing because of the way i felt while doing the cleanse. After two weeks, i finally feel normal, after feeling like an alligator/snake all my life.

33. I’ve really enjoyed the interviews with Frederic … always learn something new! I’ve never juice fasted, only water fasted …

34. Angela says:

hi guys! I do believe raw foods are easier to digest since it has its enzymes to break itself down for my body’s digestive process to break it down very easily, readying it for easier absorption and less work on the digestive tract. I did like the speakers view of health as a whole and the need to develop that guidance for people. I am looking into that and need all the tools I can to help others.

35. Wilhelmina says:

Lovely Sister Sharon- COMMENT #16

Sharon-You hit the nail on the head with the
    all important question that Fred does not seem to want to answer…..
    WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE COOKED FOODS YOU EAT ?
    Without this information,the theories that are being presented leave me scratching my
    head.Please….let’s tell the WHOLE story !

Love from South Florida

36. Horst Schmidt says:

YES…Frederico…try some REAL Salt&Cinnamon&
    DON’T spread MISINFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Arlirette says:

Thank you for the raw food challenge! I was worried that I would not be able to stick to it at the start, but the recipes are great, filling, delicious. I have not purchased everything on the shopping list, and have slightly modified the smoothies according to what I have on hand. It’s working so great, lost 6 lbs this week, and sleeping great. The change in mindset has come from your interviews, thanks!

38. Frederick, he must be a very great man, he’s certainly a great master of nutrition bar, or this gentleman how it will be so good nutrition

39. anasha says:

hello Horst Schmidt
    is your liver acting again ??????????
    time for a liver detox ?????????
    your words are so full of anger and you can make your points without insulting the other
    with that i wish you the best and instead of criticizing others you could share your knowledge with us

40. JKVMI says:

My understanding is that if you’re craving fats you’re probably not getting enough calories and/or protein. I went on a 30-day raw food detox earlier in the year and was so tired I could barely get out of bed. Not the diet for me.

41. Amy says:

I am so impressed that I made it to day 6 on the 7 day challenge before I ate/drank something I shouldnt have for dinner! But that’s ok, Iam back on the wagon for day 7! I also had my first colon hydrotherapy just before starting the cleanse and may go back for 1 or 2 more after the cleanse, not sure yet. But feeling pretty good all the way through. I love having the recipes laid out for me though the portions are humongus for me and gives me left overs for the next day!

🙂

42. Laura says:

Yes. I’ve done three 7 day juice fasts at different times. They were the true push to get me started in the health food movement. There was a whole program involved that included colonics and other supplements too.

Also, Fred has really grown from his continuous accumulation of knowledge. What a difference I see in him from the Rawkathon to now. Thanks for interviewing him here. He’s got a lot to teach as well.

Laura

43. Rhonda D says:

I have done a 5 day juice fast and loved it.
    Plan on doing another one soon for a longer time hopefully i will try for 2 weeks.

Best of health to all

44. Diane says:

I have been raw for just over 4 months now and feel wonderful! I got rid of eating alot of nuts, seeds and avacado after the first three months. I never tried a juice fast and don’t know how to start so I look forward to the show for info.

45. I do juice fasts, I do them every now and then to keep myself humble :)I’ve had mostly positive experiences, you just have to be careful what you do and know your body!

46. Lorien says:

I have never juice fasted. It is something I’d like to do once I get a juicer but a high speed blender is first on the wish list. Actually, going to Tree of Life for a week is first on the wish list. Until then, I’ll just have to survive on plain ol food.

With the knowledge I have at the moment, I feel I’m doing okay. I eat two large salads each day that contain about five different kinds of greens, sprouts and nine different vege’s. I get four fruits in, chia seeds every day, a small amount of sunflower & pumpkin seeds in one of the salads and a handfull of nuts in the other three times a week. I also eat an avocado every day at this point with a blend of sprouts & five vege’s diced up small. I also add lemon juice & olive oil to my salads.

I also make up a drink every morning in the regular blender that’s more of a suppliment thing then anything else. I put maca, camu, zeolights, msm, honey, cacao & lemon in it. I take a few green marine whole food suppliments with this drink. So far, it’s working for me. I’ve gone from 186 lbs to 157 lbs sense January 1st.

As my knowledge evolves, I make changes. One of the biggest break through moments for me came when I was able to let go of fear and allow what I ate or did not eat to become a process of discovery as to what works for my body. I love this show because I can learn from folks who have different ideas but are all wanting the same outcome:health.

47. Julie says:

I did a raw challenge for a whole week and I didn’t lose but one pound. I am eating great raw foods with a lot of walnuts and avocado. I am also exercising 4-5 days a week. Spinning classes/cycling mostly. What is wrong?

48. MaryAnna says:

I’ve been on juice fast for 92 days last year and for 30 days this year.

I wish you lots of success!

49. dragontea says:

Okay I have been wanting to know-what do you do to keep the bugs from biting you. Ticks, mosquitoes, etc. There are a lot of ticks this year up in Maine-ugh.

50. Chris says:

I have the same question as DragonTea, #47; In Wisconsin, ticks are already out in big numbers. I just pulled one off my son last week and I got lyme disease last summer…How do we keep the ticks off??

51. Dee says:

I did the master cleanse for 10 days a couple of years ago. It was amazing.

52. Lisa says:

I’m not doing the raw food challenge because I’m already in the middle of a juice fast. :o)
    Today is day 30.