How to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps Naturally with Brigitte Mars : The Renegade Health Show Episode #559

Friday Apr 30, 2010 | BY |

Today, Brigitte Mars talks about how to get rid of menstrual cramps naturally…

I don’t have any experience with this, but Annmarie and other women have told me that Brigitte’s advice is solid.

Brigitte also addresses menopause and other important woman’s issues. (There’s also a little humor in this one!)

Your question of the day: What have you done to spice up your sex life?

If you want to check out Brigitte’s book, The Sexual Herbal click here: www.BrigitteMars.com

1. Chris & Sara says:

Get outside in nature and the SUN!! That is the BEST thing for sex life!

We love the outdoors~

And be happy. Ditch the stress. and the TV!!!!! If there is no TV in the bedroom (or house) youll find “stuff” to do… LOL.

C&S

2. Terri says:

Kev & Annmarie,

I’m envious of your time away in Cost Rica, happy you’re enjoying your time there.

Just went to an Aura Cacia training last night, they provided us a “Chocolove Formula” body oil blend that we got to make for ourselves to share with our loved ones. Here’s the info;

CHOCOLOVE FORMULA

2 TBS cocoa butter
    20 drops vanilla precious essential oil
    1-2 drops sweet orange essential oil
    1 drop cardamom essential oil
    2-3 drops rose otto precious essential oil

Melt and blend. Apply and see what happens next…

Take Care guys!!!

Terri

3. Thank you for the helpful information! :)

4. Sandy says:

This is about the audio interview: I have heard you recommend iodine for thyroid before, but you have to be VERY careful about this. If you have an autoimmune condition like Hashimoto’s, iodine can be very dangerous–especially in the high doses found in Ioderol, etc. I recommend reading anything by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, such as “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal?” Iodine with Hashimoto’s is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Please look into this as I hear this advice a lot in the raw food community. There are many reasons for low thyroid and the treatments are very different depending on the etiology. Thanks!

5. Lish says:

I took an amazing course called The Pleasure Course 2 weekends ago about happiness, intimacy and sex. (www.pleasurecourse.com). It’s had an on-going, intensely positive impact on my relationship and sex life!!

6. Cherry Tye says:

I agree with the first person. The thing that stirs those romantic feelings quicker than any other thing is to be together outside in isolation from the noises and sights of man. I need to take my own advice. I dont do this near enough!

7. Susan says:

Frist I need a man. (haven’t been with anyone since 1993, how sad) Then I can tell you.

8. What a gorgeous beach! Brigette Mars always has such awesome information.

9. Kristine says:

There is nothing better than telling the person you love and desire that they are loved and desired. You can’t do it too much. It makes both of you feel good…

10. john says:

Brigitte Mars in what she had to say makes a lot of common sense, I like the way she communicates in a clear, normal speaking manner and words are well pronounced ,so I can understand each word she says. I like Brigitte also take Chia/Salba seeds daily . It is awesome to say the least in so many benefits to numerous for me to even begin to mention ,in short it is what superman or superwomen in the know take-Brigitte Knows what this Salba/Chia does to one.Everyone needs this everyday ! Thank you Brigitte!!! Kevin and AnnMarie I hope both of you are enjoying your Romantic interlude in Costa Rica .Enjoy yourselves in your young bodies before the years gain toll on your lives.God bless both of you.As for your question for today ,still single. Again thank you for your guest and her shared information even though it is for women and various concerns pertaining to women this is vital information as it is women only who bear forth Male and Female children as that is the way God Almighty designed it in his infinite wisdom. By By.

11. Nicole says:

I like how Brigitte gives a lot of intelligent yet common-sense advice, and also has a sense of humour instead of trying to by mystical and mysterious like some “gurus” when they talk about herbs.

Sex life-wise: I bought the book I Heart Female Orgasm. Great book for women (and men) to read to dispell a lot of garbage expectations we have about our bodies and sex. And it has practical suggestions from toys to positions to understanding male-female communication. Now I need the right guy to try this all on:-)

12. Oh, and, sorry, no love life here. :)

13. Ang says:

I can vouch for the greens getting rid of cramps – I had them so badly for my whole life (getting worse the last few years). The month I started having green smoothies for breakfast, no more cramps! I didn’t expect that result from my diet change, but its been amazing!

My friend had the same result.

14. Don says:

this was a good interview, but her suggestion about eating sour foods during menopause to help the liver I feel is misguided. Sour foods are heating to the liver/body not cooling. Sweet fruits and foods like cucumber, cilantro, coriander and aloe vera would be better choices during menopause. Also Boswellia Serrata and Asparagus Racemosus would be extremely helpful. Asparagus Racemosus is also considered one of the best herbs in Ayurveda for PMS.

15. Carmela says:

I agree with the outdoors and quietness especially at night. My husband and I enjoy the outdoors as a choice, but you have to be real sure that no one is around. One time in Hawaii on a remote area by sea cliffs, at 2:00 am, a whole bus load of Chinese tourists got out and started taking pictures! Who would have thought? We were newlyweds then. ha

16. Brenda says:

the herb Maca. :-)

17. When I was in my 30s’ I used to pick the leaves of the Rue plant, which grows wild in the Texas Hill Country, to make tea for menstrual cramps. It was the only solution for the 15 yr. old daughter of a friend of mine; this child would miss days of school due to this painful condition and for myself as well as others. About 20 yrs. ago I discovered Vitex (Vitex Agnus Castis) or Chaste Fruit Tree Berry; this is an extremely potent Hormone balancing herb and with all of Lab reports in there have been no reports of side effects. It works on the pituitary gland and filters on down through Endocrine System making this herb effective for many health issues. It is also a uterine sedative; I experienced being pain free while healing from fibroid tumors & endometriosis. Vitex has been used around the world for thousands of years, with women in the Mediterranean referring to it as a gift from the gods. I discovered a few months into my healing that a gorgeous tree growing in my yard was a Vitex tree. Now the community I live in has the trees planted all through it! I am using the Vitex again and it has helped to balance my thyroid hormone levels[in addition to other supplements].

Live well and I hope this helps some one out there,

Cheri’-Louise

18. Nimisha says:

Dr. Neal Barnard (of PCRM – pcrm.org) has done research on menstrual cramps. I got rid of mine by following his advice of high-fibre, low-fat, WHOLE FOODS plant-based diet. (RAW did for me, but now that I’m back on cooked, I just watch the fat intake, and keep the cramps at bay). Refined fats especially – even olive oil…not good for cramps. Whole food fats don’t bother me – nuts in moderation, avocados are all okay.
    Fats (especially refined and animal source) increase estrogen levels, which in turn increase prostaglandins that cause cramps.
    (No need for herbs or chocolate or anything else. Just watch the fat intake!)

19. Carol says:

HI,

I don’t “plug myself up” with anything and get cramps every month.

I am very against tampons and the rest of the plugs which I think has a lot to do with rampant infertility-besides too many sexual partners and lack of nutrients in the diet.

20. martha says:

relax, enjoy and be thoughtful. no matter how young or old you are – don’t ever stop being playful – flirt – make eyes at each other – touch – every body likes attention!

21. bethany says:

I agree with being outdoors in nature and sharing that intimacy among trees is hot.

22. May says:

Staying in love is the best aphrodisiac of all. 35 years of blissfully happy marriage and there’s no sign of any change in desire or performance so far.

We also eat a fairly high raw diet most days and exercise a lot to keep our bodies working well ;-) It’s all worth it!!!

Kevin, you are absolutely the *best* interviewer ever – you listen so well. Not like most interviewers who just interrupt all the time and prevent their guests actually sharing any knowledge at all. That’s one of the reasons I keep coming back here.

23. Angela says:

Hi guys, happy for you both being able to go to Costa Rica! What spices my love life(and my husbands) is that we are very affectionate. Grazing his hand, back, or neck with my hand when I walk by him through out the day and he does the same to me. Just being playful with touch, while being “kosher” around our kids. Holding hands whenever we sit next to eachother at church or watching tv. We always say I love you when we talk on the phone or when we are leaving to go to work. Just a constant appreciation for eachother emotionally and physcially. We have been together for almost 8 years and are very happily in love. We have our own issues of course, but when it comes to love and sex, that department is never in jepardy.

24. Christi says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,
    I know you guys usually have a green smoothie in the morning for breakfast. I think Kevin mentioned he drinks a huge green smoothie on the recent call on detoxing. I was wondering how much green smoothie Annmarie drinks because shes a woman and so am I, and also she seems to be on the smaller side like me as well. I usually have about 2-3 cups green smoothie in the morning. Also, my other question is about canker sores. Sometimes I get canker sores and they are really annoying and kind of painful. I’m not sure why I get them. Can these be prevented? Thanks guys!

25. rainbow says:

when i became vegan over 23 years ago, the extreme cramping stopped, and i began to enjoy that time as a delight-filled creative time. when it was no longer painful, i absolutely loved my flow time. i resonated with many things she said, including the loose clothing, which is just about always my way now, even though i no longer menstruate. and when my menstrual flow began to cease, it simply wasn’t there anymore, no pain, no emotions, no whatever. as she said, close to non-existent. for me i woke up in a lake of sweat a few times, but it was over before i could even get an herb for it.

as for what works to calm down the cramping, i’ll mention two herbs that i did not hear her mention. i was introduced to butcher’s broom a few years ago, because i had begun to develop extreme leg and foot cramps. my herbalist suggested butcher’s broom, which she said is used mostly for menstrual cramping, but will work for any kind. it has been quite helpful to me, though i never knew about it while i was flowing.

the other herb that works i’ve known about for a long time, and that of course is cannabis. releases pain and helps impart feelings of contentment, peace, and well-being. so of course it’s forbidden in our ‘free society’ (not!).

thanks for another good interview, and for all you do. peace for ALL life. aho

26. MaryAnna says:

Great informations!

For great sex life, I first revised with myself what is sex/sexual for me. I discovered that that goes way beyond bed area. For me, we take a long walks with our dog, we discuss everything, we spend whole time together (we work together in our firm), we use essential oils to scent air in our house….. I try to make healthy meals and discuss with my hubby about it, telling him everything I read and learn.

I think there is no greater aphrodisiac than feeling happy together and feeling that you can truly rely on person beside you. :-)

If you/partner have a bad day, you can spice it with some simple meal with cinnamon which is scientifically proven aphrodisiac and is widely available ;-)

27. Sue Rushford says:

I really love what Kristine & a few others said about mutual appreciation, adoration, affection. I haven’t have anyone constant in my life for quite a while, but that’s part because I now figure out early on when He’s Just Not That Into Me or vise versa and that the mutual 3As listed above are absolutely mandatory. Interesting that going ‘High Raw’ has helped both my sex life mostly just because I shed 35+ pounds & feel so much better about myself/image and has reduced my menstral cramps to near none. I do green smoothies or green juices every day. 23 yrs of birth control pills really did a number on my hormones which has in turn affected my digestion and other processes – I feel like I will be detoxing for many years to come but am grateful to know I am on the right path, thanks to people like Kevin & Ann Marie who create and share these videos, blogs, podcasts, books, etc.