Low Fat Raw Food Recipe for Raspberry Vinaigrette Salad : The Renegade Health Show Episode #552

Wednesday Apr 21, 2010 | BY |

Today Ann and I prepare a low fat raw food recipe for a raspberry vinaigrette sprout salad…

I was impressed not only by the dressing, but by how made raspberry juice as the base for it.

I think that’s just enough reason to check this episode out!

Your question of the day: What have you done to volunteer your time recently?

Be sure to check out our 10% customer appreciation sale going on now until Thursday the 23rd at 11:59 PM PST. Just use the coupon code: KIMORA when you check out!

Here’s the Raw Food Recipe:

Raspberry Vinaigrette Sprout Salad – Low Fat

1 cup raspberry juice
(to make the Raspberry juice, 1 cup raspberries 1/4 cup raisins, 2 cups water blend together – strain through nut milk bag. This will yeild a little more then 2 cups of juice)
1 fresh squeezed Meyer lemon
1 stalk of celery
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger
1/3 cup fennel
pinch of salt
more raisins if you want it a bit sweeter

Blend well and serve over spicy sprouts!

1. Awesome, the dressing looks really good … so do the sprouts.

2. Sara says:

I’m aboooout to do a painting for a dog-themed art show – the proceeds go to animal shelters!

Just in case anyone is in the area: the show is called “A Mute of Hounds” and it will be at Gallery Meltdown on June 12, 2010!

3. Stefanie says:

Volunteer weekly with Wellness in Schools and always search for new opportunities to volunteer at events I’d like to attend:)

4. Mark says:

Hi guys,

Love the show and information…
    I would be interested in knowing:-
    If you were diagnosed with cancer What systems / protocols would you put in place to give your self the best chance of curing yourself? (please be very specific)
    Also
    If you were diagnosed with heart disease what systems / protocols would you put in place to give your self the best chance of curing yourself? (please be very specific)
    The reason I ask this is that almost everyone we know will die from one of these things (not with standing accidents) and it is very hard to get a definitive answer. I realise that the information you give is not medical advice; However, I am sure many people would appreciate a solid starting point.
    Many thanks
    Keep up the good work
    Mark

5. Jennifer says:

Great Dressing, tried it, loved it!! Excited to see you with the kids sprouting!

6. Esse says:

I have been looking for oil free recipes. This one looks great. Can’t wait to try it!

7. Bev says:

Just came back from the dentist, teeth are nice and clean and white. How do you both keep your teeth so white?

Have a delightful time in Costa Rica.

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

8. Maggie says:

This looks yummy but where is the recipe??? Usually you post it under your video but it wasn’t there today. Can you put it out there for us to see? Thanks and I can’t wait to see your shows from Costa Rica. Have a great time!

9. Sparrow says:

I walk the dogs at the local animal shelter so they can stay socialized and get homes and so they don’t have to sit in doggie jail all the time. That’s the last volunteer thing I did, but I also do G.E.D. tutoring, help out at an annual math competition for middle-schoolers, and write letters to prisoners on death row. I used to tutor remedial reading and English as a second language where I used to live but I haven’t found anyplace to plug those skills in here yet. My big volunteer interests are animals, prisoners, and education.

10. Susan says:

I volunteer with a literacy council and work with a lady who needs help with her English. She is also working on getting her citizenship. This is the second person I have helped. Also a different lady needed general help with getting and using a credit card and reading through her mail. This work has been very rewarding and I have made two new friends in the process.

11. Ineke says:

Dressing looks great! Why a low fat/ no fat dressing Kevin? You don’t need to lose weight do you?

Actually I’m volunteering at my daughter’s school: running with the kids for “Landsharks” a cross country running program for the school and I will be volunteering on the International Tour day presenting my country: The Netherlands

12. nick says:

I volunteered 5 days preparing food, cleaning and “serving” everything else the Vipassana Meditators needed last month in Mass.

I would like to see some video of your sprouting class I am a teacher and I just bought some seeds and was planning on teaching my students to sprout too. (good timing 4 me too:)

If you are going to stay @ a place in Costa Rica
    that serves Raw or atleast Vegan food can you let me know where it is. I was in Costa Rica a couple of years ago it was great but I was not to happy with the Raw foodist that I stayed with. I would like to return to Costa Rica in the future it is beuatiful. Thanks for another grea show.

13. Peg says:

I, too, am wondering why you want low or no fat foods. You guys are not exactly over weight.

14. Sophia says:

Have fun in Costa Rica! Maybe you could show us a video of the rainforest? I am very passionate about saving it! My family adopted an orangutan named Kesi, which basically means we sponsored her. I also go to fair trade workshops at a college, and drink Guayaki Yerba Mate which directly saves the rainforest, and of course educate others!!! 🙂 For the environmental club at school I’ve been helping out making activities for Earth Week, and I’m going to volunteer at a nature preserve on the weekend.

p.s. That is awesome you taught the kids how to sprout!!! I feel that educating others is one of the most important things into making positive changes in our community and the world. Also, the recipe looks great!

15. Kuru says:

I volunteer weekly Jin Shin Jyutsu sessions to my friend who has advanced stage ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). It eases the stress of this totally debilitating disease.

I’ve decided to give sprouting kits to all the kids in my family for Christmas, so I’m glad to hear how much they enjoy it. What an amazing introduction to loving living foods. That dressing sounds perfect; thanks for the blending time info. I too am mystified at the no fat request.

16. RJ says:

Thank you for the great salad dressing recipe. I wish both of you a safe trip to Costa Rica!! Look forward to seeing some of the sites you’ll be visiting on your adventure!!
    I’ve been volunteering, once a week in April, for the May Day Festival. It’s a huge event in Minneapolis. The behind the scenes activity has been fantastic…many children and adults are creating masks from their imaginative hearts.(they will proudly show them in this large community festival). Over 50,000 people will attend the parade or be in it. If anyone out there will be in Minneapolis on May 2, please attend! Please don’t forget to bring some coins for the donation section of the parade. The event is largely run on donations and volunteers. People from all over the world come to help and/or attend this spectacular festival.
    For more info and how to volunteer PLEASE go to…http://www.hobt.org/mayday/
    Thank you!

17. Looks great! Where do you find your micro-greens? I use to volunteer at farms.. and plan to again soon once my schooling is over.

Thanks!

18. Leam says:

Learned a difficult language to teach those from a former communist country the teachings from God’s word the Bible.
    Help a senior citizen weekly with various things – shopping, doctor’s appointments, organizing and, most importantly, just taking time to listen.
    Can our bodies function properly without an adequate amount of good fat?

19. kate says:

Costa Rica – cool! I am thinking about going there next Christmas so I would love to see what it’s like. Maybe avoid the cold Canadian winter for one week:)

20. Kristine says:

I am going to try the recipe tomorrow. Traditionally raspberry vinagrette is made with raspberry vinegar. What an excellent idea to use fresh/raw raspberries! I volunteer in my co-op. I collect the money from the washers and dryers. I am also on the roof committee and the building beautification committee. I also volunteer at my son’s school, though, less lately. Bon voyage…

21. Sandi Seegert says:

I volunteer at an Organic Produce co-op every other week.

22. Kai says:

Looks good! Now I just have to wait for the raspberries to ripen!

23. jackie says:

I recently helped pack seeds to be shipped to Africa so that starving families can grow their own gardens to feed themselves, and sell the excess produce to earn $.

24. Ricki Burleigh says:

I helped to delivery MEALS ON WHEELS to homebound elderly on limited incomes. They receive a lunch and a dinner each day, Monday thru Friday. It was great fun. I always like to keep in mind that my interaction with each food recipient might be the only smile, conversation or kind word that person receives all day!

Ricki

Have a great time in Costa Rica!

25. Satori says:

Helped some event at LA Angels stadium and got a free ticket for the night’s game. But guess what? I left early because they don’t offer any healthy food there and I was very hungry!!

26. Ms. N says:

Um…I dont volunteer anywhere…:)
    The dressings looked great!! Have fun in Costa Rica!!

27. Charlotte says:

is there a reason you guys never use pepper (freshly cracked) in your food?

28. Nicole says:

Tell more about Costa Rica! What are you up to there?

As for volunteering, I don’t remember the last thing I did recently. Last year I helped cut roses and make bouquets for an organization. Wish I could think of something recent!

29. Mamabird says:

Since today is Earth Day, I am going to volunteer my time picking up trash.

30. I am looking forward to trying the raspberry vinagerette…it looks really yummy

I voluteer in my church nursery once a month.

Have a wonderful trip to Costa Rica…thank you so much for your show!

31. Jan says:

I work for a nonprofit agency with people who have traumatic brain injury – this is a paid position. Since I bill only half of my actual working hours I think this qualifies as volunteering. This way the agency has money to use for other necessary things. I also volunteer my time off hours to work with people who do not meet the requirements to get help from the agency. Most people do not realize that if you have a traumatic brain injury and need cognitive therapy, insurance at best, only covers 3 to 4 weeks of cognitive therapy. In order for most people to regain control of their life they usually need a year or more of case management and or cognitive therapy. Many need it the rest of there life.
    Also planted almost 30 fruit trees and plan to give the fruit to food pantries and/or people who need food. Also teach square foot gardening to people with low income.

32. Courtney says:

Really interesting looking recipe! Could you post the recipe on the blog? If so, that would be super-helpful. Thanks so much!

33. PE says:

In many cities, the Catholic Worker movement has room for volunteers to help the most downtrodden in the US. Anyone can help, no religious requirement or teaching (‘singing for your supper’) involved.
    #4 questions: for cancer, many find the Gerson diet best; for heart ailments, Dash II seems to score best. An optimal diet should combine the two at least. Mark, you may want to sketch what that might look like and share your findings.
    Be aware that nutrients that prevent cancer may have an opposite effect once the cancer gets going. Our knowledge evolves, not always improving.

34. cindy says:

could not hear the video -it keep stopped and skipping

35. Jasmine says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the low fat/ no fat recipes! Keep ’em coming! thank thank you thank you thank you thank you!

I am making this dressing tonight! in the van!

LOVE

36. Siobhán (Ireland) says:

Rasberry dressing looks absolutely delicious.
    Do you not put the recipe up on the screen anymore so we can just take it down?
    Can’t wait to try it though.

37. Thomas says:

In case you missed it last night on PBS, you can watch a great documentary on the American food fiasco (scam?) called Food.Inc online at:

It would be great to show any friends on a SAD diet. Seeing is believing.

38. Angela says:

This dressing looks beautiful and delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Since haveing kids, voluteering my time is something of the past for me. This is a good reminder though to not only volunteer, but to spread kindness to others. Thanks for the show! Also, AnnMarie your hair looks so thick and shiny. How long is it?

39. alysha says:

Omg, was watching Kimora Life in the Fab Lane and she’s talking about juicing and then all of a sudden, there you are! Kevin Gianni teaching Kimora about juicing! Was hilarious. Great job! Good to see some raw food faces on popular tv shows!

40. Jackie says:

I just ordered some “tea cut” tulsi from a place within Canada (I can’t afford the shipping from your store to Canada unfortunately). It seems yours is cold water extracted – is this different from ground up dried tulsi leaves? What I am really wondering is if I can add some of the dried leaves to a smoothie, or if I should just make hot teas from the dried leaves.

Thank you so much for your show!

41. I’m reading for my grand daughter’s K Class. No. 4, Mark, ever think about Ionized water for cancer problems. I was introduced to them thru Green Smoothie Girl. She not as great as Kevin and Ann Marie.

42. Jasmine says:

eating raspberry lemongrette as we speak. thx!

43. Sarah says:

Thanks for the great recipe! I look forward to trying it out.
    As a mom of 3 young children, I don’t have a lot of time to volunteer, but I do the nursery at church once or twice a month. I love the little ones!
    I want to start sprouting but have been a little intimidated,BUT…if you can teach a group of children to sprout, surely I can do it too!! 😉 Thanks again! Have a great trip!

Sarah

44. Lola says:

Your raspberry dressing sounds wonderful! I will save it and definitely use it. Yumm!

Do you have a way to fix raw eggplant? I hear it’s nutritious, but can’t find a recipe I like on the Internet. Thanks.

I used to take two elderly ladies out weekly in my car from their nursing home “imprisonment”. My mom was in a nursing home, and that’s how she felt, a prisoner. It’s sad to lose your independence. I would take them out either to appointments or to a store of their choice to buy personal articles or to the beach to watch the water.I often wished I could do something to augment their awful institutional diet. Most of it was cooked, dead food. My husband and I are starting our garden now and hope to have LOTS of raw, fresh food to donate to the food bank. Most of the food the less fortunate get is “non-perishables” which means “dead”.

45. Pamela W says:

My best friend passed away of uterine cancer four years ago. Before she died, and during her chemo and radiation treatments, I stayed with her a few nights a week and tried to prepare foods she could eat that would be life-giving…but I knew nothing of healthful, cancer-preventive foods…that feeling of helplessness was like none other I have ever felt. I think that that was the beginning of my quest to find a cure for disease through food; I knew that something must be helpful but I didn’t know what. After my friend’s death, I became close to her mother, who is now in her 80’s and in assisted living. We get together every few weeks and go make a day of it, getting hair done, eating out, getting Vitamin D in the sun! (So, am I volunteering, or is my friend’s mother volunteering HER time with ME??)

46. Good recipe. I need fat free ideas.
    I used to volunteer ALOT and got worn out from it. Now I do a little at my church (nursery, bake sales). My husband is docent at a local historical house.
    I need to get back into the giving back.

47. john says:

Great show.

48. Zaneta says:

Is it truth Costa Riccans have pure spring water,strait from the mountains for domestic use?

49. JulieD says:

My husband and I volunteered at the 4H Leadermete in Houghton, MI, to teach the kids and leaders swing dancing! It was a lot of fun even at 8am! This was our 4th time teaching and we have shown the steps to waltz, foxtrot, rumba, tango and line dancing!

50. Genevieve says:

I’ve made similar dressings with raspberries and they are wonderful indeed.

Extra virgin olive oil is good for you, and so is virgin coconut oil. I use them in foods and on my skin.

I’ve done lots of volunteering in the past but nothing lately. Looking for new involvements.