Raw Fooders May Really Need More Protein – The Renegade Health Show Episode #536

Tuesday Mar 30 | BY |

Low protein, low protein, low protein…

But what if this weren’t exactly true.

In this interview Donna Gates explains a massively important link between digestion and protein that you likely have never heard before.

You have to check this out…

Your question of the day: Do you feel bloated after you eat a protein meal?

Please click here to visit Donna’s site: www.bodyecology.com

If you want to check out some of Donna’s probiotic foods, click here: www.renegadehealth.com/store

1. Pat G. says:

Please mike guests. Otherwise I have to play with the volume throughout, and your thunderous voice hurts my ears….thanks.

2. cj says:

hi i have found that going over to a raw diet i actually feel better and i have the mental stamina to do a lot of things that i havent been able to do eating a high carb/high protien diet for the first time in years i feel actually good i do miss my bagel habit and the odd bit of bread but im so much better without all the bloating and distress that breads cause i had never really noticed it with protiens but i find that i usually feel my best after a full salad with leafy greens and some fruits i avoid nuts completely as well do to allergys and i find that a raw fruit and vegetable diet is the best way to go

3. Jo says:

I’m no longer eat any animal protein, so i don’t get bloated anymore. I keep hearing that there are lots of proteins in greens that are assimulated much better then animal proteins. Can you discuss that in a future show?

4. Judy says:

Please get the info to us regarding the exact name of the test for protein assimilation as it was very unclear. Also thank you for all you do!

5. jackie says:

Interesting! I don’t necessarily ever feel bloated, but I don’t think I’m digesting my food very well I wish her comments were all written down for me so I could remember everything….I don’t feel like taking notes. Thanks for another great show.

6. Jill says:

She is a little hard to hear I agree, but you are at a big conference after all. Bloating after eating protein? I’ve never paid attention to whether I felt bloated or not, as I tend to feel sick after eating a good portion of the time (depends what/how much I’ve eaten)

7. Tiffany says:

What did she say she drinks with her meals like wine? you couldnt understand her

8. Tiffany says:

very hard to understand her but great information and thank you – i had to listen over and over again – not complaining – love your show and thank you! I have very acidic blood and have been very sick – I do get bloated after eating protein. Where do I get the products she was talking about? What were they? Assist for protein product was the enzyme with hcl? And she also mentioned a plant based protein – what was that?

9. Heather says:

Thanks, Kevin — great show!

10. Jackie says:

I’m not eating animal protein either. Stopped 3 years ago. Feel so much better. I use brown rice protein powder, haven’t found anything better (that is comparable in price).

11. john says:

Thankyou Kevin for this excellent interview you sound loud and clear.Your guest was a bit faint with some words for me to hear at high volume setting so I missed some of what Donna said I realize she is a very kind soft spoken person ,maybe next time if your guests in the future could wear a mic near their mouth as standard procedure this should help significantly especially when their is music or noise in the back ground .But she I can see has a lot of excellent things to say ,I wish her the best. Thank you Donna you had an awful lot of interesting things to say that I found of interest .Thank you Donna for caring and sharing.

12. RJ says:

I always use headphones with my computer, much easier to hear everything. Great show!

13. esther says:

I experienced the bloating before I started taking digestive enzymes. I haven’t had a problem with that since then.

The speaker looked caked in make-up.

14. Britt says:

I don’t eat a lot of ‘protein meals’ because I’m trying out the whole low fat raw vegan thing. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if my ability to process proteins is damaged because right now I have pretty poor digestion in general. I don’t want to jump right to taking the enzymes she was talking about, as I’m hoping I’ll be able to help out my digestion over time. I’m doing occasional enemas to ‘get things going’ as well as following some food combining principles and blending a lot of my meals to help out with digestion. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

15. Very interesting! I tend to boat with whatever i eat. I’ve struggled with candida and i seem to be struggling with it still. Love listening to her!

16. RJ says:

Here is information for anyone needing to adjust personal computer volume:

17. Willemina says:

What the hell was that that woman talking about ? I’m still scratchlng my head !
    Not enough hydrocloric acid in my stomach ?
    Pheeewwww !

18. RJ says:

Spring has Sprung, Willemina. Time to plant pansies in the flower boxes! Thank goodness!

19. Christie says:

I am hesitant to take an isolated synthetic acid such as HCl… can not taking probiotics and fermented foods alone be enough? I do experience bloating from time to time but have not pin pointed it to protein consumption…

Thanks so much.

20. Don says:

Adding Fennel to your meals is the #1 ayurvedic way of increasing agni (digestive fire) without increasing heat in the body. Clove is also really good.

21. Veronica says:

Hey Kevin,

It was really hard to hear what she was saying as she speaks quietly and I found her explainations ran into eachother so I wasn’t quite sure when she was done talking about one topic or not.

She talked about animal protein a lot and it wasn’t really apparent whether she was pro or anti animal protein.

Why didn’t she mention anything like leafy greens? Spinach is really high in protein by weight.

I do think it’s strange when people talk about protein meals because any food that contains protein contains a substantial amount of fat or carbohydrates which is usually in a larger quantity than protein amount anyways.

22. PS says:

Dona Gates is amazing! Listen to her, she knows what she’s talking about! Digestion is key to regaining health, even raw foods can be hard to digest if your health is compromised!

23. Mary Artemis says:

The obvious question to me is, why is it that breast milk for the new baby burgeoning with exponential growth, is only 2%? And what does that say about our real need for protein? Also, Kev, you spoke over what she said when she described what she put in the little wine glass to accompany eggs or fish – all I know is that is is good stuff! What is it?
    Mary from Stamford

24. Ineke says:

If I do proper food combining and take my enzymes especially with animal protein I do not experience bloating. Love Donna Gates and I like her idea of getting your animal protein from broth. Great show Kevin!!

25. Cecile says:

Love your shows! Couldn’t understand either what she was drinking with her meals like wine. What is it??

26. naomi says:

yes was hard to hear over background music, but thanks so much donna and kevin, will listen again to see if i can catch the bits i missed…god bless!

27. Patrina says:

Acidic blood? I’ve read several times that the body always maintaines blood pH level between 7.2 and 7.4 no matter what (drawing out alkaline minerals from the bones to keep this pH), and anything over 7 is definitely not acidic. Donna spoke several times about acidic blood but I’ve very skeptical on this point. What are your thoughts Kevin?

28. Dawni says:

Fascinating interview Kevin.

I have some homework to do. I don’t know — my protein sources are from plant based foods. Rare bouts of bloating these days, however I am not sure it’s protein based. I will experiment.

I have an unopened bottle of Hydrozyme (HCL) and wonder if it is time to crack it open. Taking it with meals along with this probiotic drink Donna recommends seems like it could cause some interesting reactions.

I will re-listen to this interview because I feel she addressed something related to the stages of protein digestion that I need to understand better.

This fermented protein product has soy. It is generally believed that fermented or fresh soy is fine and does not carry the same alert as Soy in general. Did Dr. Mercola comment on this fermented soy?

Lots to think about.

Eridawni

29. Milan says:

I think many of your viewers might want to go back and view your conversation with Brian Clement show #509. The importance of juicing and consuming sprouts cannot be overstated…

30. Satori says:

I remember that I felt my stomach bloating when I ate Burger King, but not when I ate McDonald’s… Well, that was long time ago anyways…Now I mostly eat plant based protein and have never experienced bloating. After this video, I’m worried about my protein digestion though…

I too couldn’t hear what Donna said about something we should be eating with meal like wine??

I usually watch Kevin’s show with the headphone because the opening song and “Good afternoon everyone!!!” are much louder than the rest and I’m too lazy adjusting the volume depends on the segments… lol

31. Jackie says:

Waw great interview, I love Donna. She is talking about fermented foods (soybeans, chickpeas, spirulina….); can you please please, pretty please do a show where she shows how you can do the fermented foods like the previous shows of here with the cultured vegetables.

Jackie

32. Renata says:

The thing you drink as wine is a juice from cultured vegetables.In Korea people drink it regularly.

33. Henrik says:

What’s a protein meal? Eating protein powder with a spoon?
    Dried food can make me bloated, as well as certain food combinations.

I hear what she’s saying, but still I’d rather look at the living proof rather than the theories. I have yet to see a person with protein deficiency symptoms on a healthy raw vegan diet. Might be that they are hiding it well.

34. Michael T. says:

Yes, I can get bloat after eating high-protein foods, if I combine them with too much starchy food. I think starch interferes with protein digestion.

For example, I digest eggs well if I have them with veggies. But if I have eggs with corn or bread or other grain, I can get bloated.

I am also a blood type A, and as I get older my body seems to produce less HCl. I will look into taking extra HCl with high protein meals.

I think some of the confusion around the protein issue is that the amount of protein needed to keep someone alive is not the same as what is needed for optimal health. Sure, you can survive on the amount of protein found in fruits and veggies, but you will probably be really thin and have small muscles.

To really have a strong, solid body with good muscle mass, I believe it is necessary to eat some form of concentrated protein, at least nuts and seeds, preferably some eggs or fish or raw milk.

I know, there are a few bodybuilders who managed to achieve this by eating a lot of greens and avocados and nuts, but it’s not easy.

One way you can tell whether you are getting enough protein is to do a really intense workout, so that your muscles get sore a few hours later. If it takes more than one day for your muscles to fully recover, then you probably aren’t getting enough protein.

And as Donna said, you can be eating plenty of protein, but if you aren’t making enough HCl, the protein won’t get digested. If you’re not sure whether your body is making enough HCl, trying taking some with your high protein meals. If you notice an improvement in the way you feel, you probably needed it.

Regarding the idea that we can get plenty of protein from greens, that’s only true if the greens are blended at high speeds, to help break down the cell walls. If we just chew on greens, most of the protein will remain locked up inside the cellulose, and we won’t get much benefit from it.

Finally, I think Donna looked really healthy, especially when you consider how old she is — 51, according to a website.

Michael T.

35. What do you mean by “protein meal?” Nearly everything has protein in it.

Also, protein isn’t one thing … it’s various groupings of amino acids. As far as I know (correct me if I’m wrong), there aren’t any tests to determine general protein deficiency.

I think what Donna Gates was trying to say without being very clear about it, is that any protein, plant or animal, is difficult to digest because of a common lack of HCL. Maybe that’s true to some extent, although it doesn’t really make any sense.

Anyway, I have excellent digestion since becoming vegan and it’s even better when I’m high raw. I seriously am thankful every day for my digestion since stopping animal foods.

36. Michael T. says:

I searched a little more, and it turns out that I was incorrect about her age. Donna’s website says she turned 60 in 2006, so she would be about 63 now.

She looks absolutely AWESOME.

Here is the link:

37. Bjorn says:

Hi, Kevin. Thank you so much for all the wonderful work you and Ann-Marie do to enlighten the world on all these crucial-to-know health issues.

From the little I was able to glean from Donna’s wisdom through the noise, her insights on protein digestion probably is the most important topic worth looking into for the Raw and vegan communities these days! But I really, really wish you’d seek out places with less background noise for your interviews, and with no exceptions place a cheap cord-microphone around your guests’ necks so we can hear what they say properly. By-the-way, any chance you could provide this one in writing for us, Kevin, ’cause my impression is a lot of people had a hard time getting all the “juicy” details here? And we really need to know this!!!

And yes, I do, unfortunately, have occasional bloating after eating protein sources such as Chick peas and other peas. Not much, but enough to feel it’s there.

Did Donna leave any solutions as how to gradually overcome the problem with lack off hydro-cloric acid so we can fix our digestive problem once and for all, or do I smell a follow-up topic to ask her some other time?

38. Ellie says:

Hi, thanks for the interview.
    I still did not understand though what kind of blood test is suggested to see if you are protein deficient. Unfortunately, Donna did not seem to know herself as her answer was very evasive.

39. Kelly says:

I do like Donna and after reading through her website have increased my use of fermented foods.

40. Sue says:

I had no problem hearing Donna. Perhaps it’s a a problem with individual computers. My old computer had terrible audio. Just a thought.
    Thank you Kevin for all your fasinating interviews. You’re show is the best.

41. Susan Bessette says:

If “bloated” means “smelly gassy”, then I experience that after my green juices. What’s with that? I thought green juices were the cure to all the body’s problems!!
    What is a protein meal? animal proteins?
    Since mostly vegan this year, hubby and I have noticed a change in our tastes. Our favorite Chinese food yucky this last time. Even the soup was overcooked, or something.
    I never thought I would see the day when I would rather eat simply, at home.
    Michael T: I am 61 and will DEFINITELY check out her site. The proof of the program is in the results. :O)

42. Bette says:

We out here in video listening world have a hard time….the guests voices are low and I have volume all the way up and still cant hear her…..especially with background music playing TOO! Then you come in every few sec n speak and it is a shock! You are with the microphone n she inst apparantly.

Although frustrating, it is good info.

43. jronnie says:

Wow so difficult!
    I thought just eating real vegan food was healthy.
    Maybe she is trying to sell us something.

44. Cindy says:

Thanks Kev! Good interview. Appreciate it.

45. Robin says:

Hi Kevin, I’d like to see this info in writing, too! It seems important, but I can’t understand everything she’s saying in the video. Thanks!

46. Melissa says:

First, I thought digestion began in the mouth with saliva?

Second, I, too, would like clarity on what a “protein meal” is. Technically, a salad filled with kale, sprouts and a seed-based dressing is a protein meal, correct?

Third, I have had my protein levels checked– I don’t know the specific name of the test, but it was very basic and just provided a range within which my number fell.

Fourth, I would appreciate a great deal if you could mic your guests. Mics are not very expensive and it will enhance your show a great deal. All I heard was the Pink song in the background. Or, ask your guests to sneak out to the RV for 10 minutes! I am sure they know who you are, so it shouldn’t be a big deal. You, Kevin, could also adjust your volume and keep your awareness that you are right next to the microphone, so what you say will overpower what your guests say.

47. I like the interview, it is always great to learn more and consider other opinions and research. I was however thrown off by this suggestion of anti-biotics. Why would someone do that when other options exist that are more effective? I am amazed at how poorly understood essential oils are and how few health experts talk about their use.

Consuming very small amounts of essential oils can attack infection from Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori), a common cause of stomach ulcers and even heart disease and cancer.

A concentration of just .oo4% Cinnamon Bark essential oils can wipe out several strains of Helicobacter pylori in studies as have many other essential oils like Clove and Fennel above for digestion as mentioned by someone else. (Blends are perfect for these situations to be certain).

Resistance of Helicobacter Pylori to Lemongrass did not develop even after 10 sequential passages, whereas resistance to clarithromycin developed under the same conditions. [T. Ohno, PhD, Kyoto Prefetural University of Medicine, Japan]

The only downside is that Young Living is the only ISO and AFNOR certified oil producers that are recommended for internal consumption and are even high enough quality that in some parts of the world are being used in IV’s with great success. Therefore you can’t get oils for this problem at any local health food store, that said YL is very affordable and many of the most effective oils for this problem are cheap.

48. Sarah says:

Thanks Kevin for the great interview! And thanks Micheal T. and Terry Tillaart for your informative comments! Love it!

49. LeAnn says:

Hi Kevin,

Question…there are all sorts of places that you can go to find “norms” for blood tests but since “normal” in our country is really unhealthy, is there any resource that you know of that lists what would be ideal for a healthy person. I would love to find something like that so no matter what test was done (anything from cholesteral to vit. D levels), you could have a better idea of what you need to change. Thanks so much!

-LeAnn

50. Heather says:

In quest ion in digest ion. Yes, sometimes I do notice feeling bloated and/or tired after eating protein & grains. That’s not a good food combo I hear. I notice better energy levels when eating small portions and I sometimes allow time for rest & relaxing afterwards a meaty or grainy meal. Eating with kimchee seems helpful, too.

Hmmm…Now, what’s my blood type!?!

Kudos to Terry for the scented comment. I am intriqued about the uses for essential oils.

Donna looks great for 63. Thanks to both for another great interview!

51. amina says:

Interesting. She spoke very quietly. I have never paid attention on getting bloated after eating meat! But I stopped eating glutein consisting grains and I feel so much better and doesn’t feel bloated anymore! If i eat something like peace of bread, I feel bad meaning stomach bloated, gas and etc. Besides it makes me want to eat more….I think glutein grains are worse than meat (at least M. Monarch speaks about this). (I don’t eat meat but few times a week/ european size. )

But I really love your show! Really educational!!!

52. Melissa says:

Great interview! Interesting what she said that you will never alkalize your blood if you don’t have enough HCL. I’ve never heard that before and so maybe you could dig a little deeper on that issue?

53. Tyra McMahon says:

I heard Victoria Boutenko say that consuming green smoothies will gradually balance your Hydrachloric acid . Can’t remember the science behind it but maybe has to do with getting your system alkaline.

54. Karen says:

When Donna says she drinks a “probiotic cocktail” with her meal, just what is it? Kevin, thanks for interviewing her.

55. Linda Fensel says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is information that I have wanted to know for a long time, and no one could provide the answers to my questions about HCL.Very well done IMO.

56. Amy says:

I’m a new viewer and would like to say thanks for your very cool show, it’s nice to have a resource like it.

I found this particular show very interesting as I have been wanting to change our eating lifestyle, my primary goals being less meat, more raw. My husband, I think, is not convinced; he works out five days a week and “needs protein”. I have been looking for alternative and easily digested sources for protein (other than meat and diary) and think I have found it in things like sprouts, seeds, nuts; this show confirms it even more…yay!

The talk about HCL and acidic blood is a little over my head right now, I’ll have to do some reading. One other thing I have read that could be related is about is food combinations. Different types of food, like protein and starches, need different types of digestive requirements; one needs an acid environment and the other an alkaline. They shouldn’t be eaten together because your stomach can’t produce these two environments at once. Fruit should be eaten alone because it moves through your system very quickly, and ferments if in your stomach for too long. Is this related at all or am I totally off?

57. Chris & Sara says:

Well we all definitely need to start doing our homework more on this subject…. Looks to me as well as others, this is a very gray area.

We tried Kim Chee for the first time last month. We had guests from mainland buy it and boy was that good!!!! I was always grossed out by it, but was VERY surprised the taste is right up our alley!! Mmm so flavorful and spicy and salty. I had no idea… So we will definitely be incorporating that more. We will report whether or not that improves digestion for us.

About the sound and mics…. its pretty unrealistic to have a mic for every guest. Especially since I think he uses a Flip cam and doesnt have external mic. He is not a production company. This is home grown baby!!! Geeze, usually the sound is great, he happens to be at a huge event with music in the background that he cannot turn down. People give him a break, at least he got the interviews! “too lazy to adjust the volume??!!!” WOW!!!!

Kevin you are seriously one of THE BEST interviewers we have heard. You have a great approach with guests and very clear directed questions. You really stand out from others. Thank you!

58. Sungriffin says:

Thanks so much for the show! This explains a lot now about my husbands bloating after eating. It also clears up the whole protein mystery for me so I can validate a non meat diet more easily with my mom. I am so glad I didn’t miss Donna’s advice 🙂

59. Brynda says:

Thanks Kev, for cutting the annoying intro music off early! So you haven’t decided to change it, yet?

60. I eliminated most grains from my diet and do not bloat anymore. And also, I always, always, ALWAYS consume fermented veggies and digestive enzymes with HCL when I eat protein. My digestion is much better since making just those two changes.

61. Isabelle says:

Kevin,
    Thanks for this great interview with Donna! She goes deep, to new places. I have been a sold out raw vegan in Sweden for nearly three years, while pregnant and nursing. Seaweeds were my salvation as I ate them in large amounts during the loooong winters. Then I read about how hard it is for the body to digest lots of nuts and seeds which were my staple, that they are really low in the amino acid lysine (that supresses certain viruses in our bodies), I read that some vegetables are indigestable in raw form even though they are common in raw recipes, etc. I realized that I was probably protein deficient and I started to eat a bit or organic eggs, cooked millet, fish broth and my body feels more satisfied. Before I was often hungry. I also believe we have to eat right for our climate, like in an interview, a MD was talking about the health of the eskimos, they are part of the nature there, it forms a complete circle. For me in Sweden, to eat like those in the tropics, it doesn’t feel very right. I did the raw vegan diet for three years and though I felt great on it, I did develop cavities. There is a fine line…
    All to say that I really look up to Donna and treasure her counsel. She is a very healthy and young looking person. She walks her talk.

62. Courtney says:

“Looking great at 63, but for sure has collagen plumped lips. She looks like she’s been in a fight.”

I totally agree. I have to be honest, but her face just reeks of cosmetic surgery. I haven’t had any plastic surgery myself, but I see it enough that I can spot it a mile away. I noticed this about a year ago about Donna, and went through old photos of Donna to see if I was right about my suspicions, and you can definitely see that her lips have gotten larger and much puffier in the past decade, her face face has had fillers, and she’s had some sort of either botox or eyelift or both. To be clear, I don’t think plastic surgery is a mark of the goodness of a person or their message, but I don’t want anyone to be misled: her youthfulness is comes from both plastic surgery and lifestyle.

Also, I am glad you did the interview, Kevin, but for the reason that I now am convinced that Donna Gates doesn’t know nearly as much as I thought she did and that she is not a reliable source of information. She couldn’t cite a blood test to measure protein when you asked her; she talked about the blood being acidic (um, you would die before your blood ever became acidic; it’s a tightly controlled and buffered system); she called bacteria grown at home as “first generation”, as if they arise from spontaneous generation; and she said that bacteria make it to the intestine, which is just false based on the research out there in the scientific community. Most bacteria do not make it alive to the intestine.

Cheers 🙂

63. Renee says:

I agree with other comment – please mic your guests..this is ongoing issue – faint voices of your guests, while your voice is just the opposite.
    Love your vlogs! Thanks.

64. Matthew says:

I’m sorry but I’m not sure I agree with Donna. One critical thing that I’ve learned over the years is that each of us has individual requirments and biochemistry. Finding out what your exact metabolic type will help you determine what and how much protein you actually need. Eating just a raw vegan plant based diet does not work well with my body. So I try to incorporate some lean, organic meat in with my raw lifestyle. Protein does not make me bloated – carbs do. So I think all of us are different and what may work for one will not for the other. We have to take all of the information that we get and grab the pieces that are beneficial and disregard the rest.

65. Kuru says:

Thanks everybody for making my day. There are so many hilarious comments, I’m falling off my chair! Time to plant pansies! Botox lips! (Bless you Donna.) Protein powder by the spoonful! All the comments about the miking and Kevin’s thurderous, shocking voice! (love you, Kev). This day’s show and comments, and the wonderful hilarity I’ve experienced have made my blood alkaline! (Even though blood is a closed system and cannot be either acid or alkaline, you know what I mean.)

Btw, the mystery drink Donna serves with her meal is liquid probiotics (coconut kefir, etc.). I use headphones fairly often on various shows. Besides wireless headphones are one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. You can be making cultured veggies while catching every word! (Sure hope those EMF’s aren’t acidifying my system.)

Thanks again everybody!

66. Cherie says:

I will have to pay attention. I know there are times I have felt bloated but I did not pay any attn to what I ate. I also have cut out a lot of meat.

67. Cindy says:

I have had IBS & CFS for over 20 years and have always suffered with bloating, constipation etc. I now exercise regularly and cannot get rid of my lower belly “Pooch”. I recently saw a naturopath who did pick up that I was not absorbing protein properly and put me on Digestive enzymes. They do seem to help but I also excluded wheat, gluten , dairy etc from my diet for 9 weeks and didn’t really notice any improvement in energy or bowel habits etc. I do still get bloating from time to time but cannot put it down to any one food. I try to Food Combine properly but I get so confused with nutrition. It is frustrating when you do so much and cannot find an answer. I am not sure if my protein absorption has gotten better but I also get bloating two weeks a month due to ovulation & menstruation which really confuses things. I have heard that taking Apple cider Vinegar in a small glass of water before meals helps with HCL. Could you comment on this and tell me if it would interfere with the digestive enzymes. I also take a probiotic before breakfast with a digestive enzyme and i am wondering if I am getting the benefit from the probitic as i’m not sure if they work in conjunction with each other or is the enzyme eating the good bacteria?
    Thanks for such a great, informative show that i found so relevant to my problems.
    Have a great day

68. ben says:

Kevin,

I think some of these people you have had recently making medical claims on their own tests or products is not something that can be substantiated and decreases your credibility (and other good work). A blood test that can predict cancer (from prior video) etc ? Nutrition is extremely important but not 100% of medical problems are due to this. I normally enjoy your videos and insights but many more of these seem more like fringe marketing.

69. Janet says:

Kevin,

I have some comments on protein. When I was a vegan I was simply not getting enough protein in no matter what I did. When I stepped it up to being a vegetarian (and eating eggs), I still did not get enough according to tests (but they were somewhat improved) and my menstrual cycle was off by a week. Only when I went back to eating some meat (1 palm’s worth every 3 days) was I able to stabilize my cycle and my protein issues. I am an O blood type. Donna talked about A blood type (and I completely agree with her on what she says about probiotics for everyone). I can see a vegan diet working for an A blood type with less protein. All tests for ME though being an O showed that my body needed 4-5 times the amount of protein of an A blood type. My body was literally digesting itself (muscles) to get enough protein to maintain vital functions. Can you please do a show where you have O blood type people who are successful being vegan who are physically active and not muscularly waife? Are you an O or is AnnMarie an O? Thanks 🙂

70. Marcia Perkins says:

I have been doing Donna Gates’ program for two weeks now. I knew I had a problem with digesting my food and just eating raw helped, but it was not enough. I am now adding the cultured vegetables, young coconut kefir, and her probiotic drinks and everything is changing for the better! If we could give a starred review, I would give her 5 stars out of 5…and a lot of thanks for being so smart! Thanks for this interview!

71. Christine says:

Thanks Kevin for such wonderful information, now I know what was causing the bloating.

72. Cindy says:

Does Donna eat meat at all or is she vegan/vegetarian?

73. RJ says:

I am amazed with the amount of posts about the age and looks of Donna Gates. The woman shares an immense amount of fantastic information. Why is it that us homo-sapiens are always comparing ourselves to the looks of others?

Case in point, yesterday my dentist asked me how I was. I replied, “I guess I’d need an autopsy to find out.”

74. RJ says:

Oops. I forgot to add another case in point…
    Don’t forget to laugh at life!

75. NuNativs says:

Janet, I too had a hard time being vegan long term. I simply wasn’t getting enough. Also I have noticed for myself that nuts and seeds really clog me up, whilst animal protein does not.

I had to get over years of self-inflicted dogma to reverse my thinking and stance on this. After studying many accounts of Native Americans peoples, the health they achieved and lived on a daily basis seems like Superhuman, even to the Superfoodists of today, who have everything at their fingertips.

Perhaps in time…

76. thanks kevin

donna gates always has great information to share and it is so true about your HCL levels

i do not eat much protein, myself, as i ascribe more to dr doug graham’s ideas

You can visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia which I completed mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post once or twice a week (depending on how busy I am). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments. You can also subscribe so you will always receive the latest posts in you email inbox.

Namaste!
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

77. Sue says:

I love reading all of the comments and get limited information that way. But, I only have dial-up internet; hi-speed is not available where I live. I get frustrated all of the time because I can’t watch your videos. Is there any way that you can post the interviews so that people like me could listen? Thank you.

78. Sharon says:

There are other tools besides surgery to do facelifts. Personally I don’t plan to look my age, EVER and I’m not doing surgery and I seriously doubt Donna has either. I’m oddly disturbed by all the criticism today. Why not just buy Donna’s book or borrow it from the library and learn about what she has to say? I’ve been using probiotics by the same formulator that Donna uses for years. Mine have a few more strains in it. It’s not what you eat that matters nearly as much as what you absorb. Having good gut flora will ensure that you assimilate as much as possible. Detoxing heavy metals like mercury will also ensure that you’re not blocking mineral uptake and having issues like leaky gut.

While the thought of having broth makes me gag, don’t forget that in the China Study there was a small amount of meat consumed.

Nothing bothers my digestion except fried food which I don’t eat anyway and nuts. If we look to nature we would never eat more than a few nuts at a time and likely just eat nuts for that meal. Mixing it in desserts with dates and stuff like that is just far too taxing on the digestion. A tiny bit is usually okay but eaten regularly will make most people sluggish.

Carolyn Dean, another digestion doc, recommends using a bit of protein powder too. She said this in her interview in the WISH summit. It will help keep the hypothalmus working properly. We shouldn’t be grazers but we should eat no more than every 3 hours. It screws up the metabolism and hormones like leptin which make us feel hungry all the time. Protein (chia, hemp, pea or rice powder, etc) will make us feel fuller so that we don’t feel the need to eat all day long (which isn’t good for the teeth either!).

79. Shira says:

Yes, I used to years ago feel bloated after a meal. As a child I always experienced bloating after a protein meal and thought is was just normal. It was about 12 or more years ago, I first read The Body Ecology Diet when it first came out. Did it full force for a year. WOW! Amazing diet to begin the path. I highly recommend to anyone Donna’s book. She really taps into how to heal and replenish the inner ecosystem, that for many is out of balance.
    Sauerkraut, which I make weekly, is a must for me to boost HCL levels. Other ferments too can do this. It is so worth making them a part of your dietary intake and recipe routine!

80. Genevieve says:

Eating at a Chinese restaurant used to make me bloated something awful, and then give me chest pain. Found out I was sensitive to MSG and no longer eat at Chinese restaurants and have no more bloating.

I realize I am late in watching this program and commenting but I wanted to add that when I lived in Switzerland, many people there drank a small amount of Cynara after the big meal of the day. Cynara is made from artichokes which must greatly aid digestion.

81. Lyds Frith says:

You know, I was just wondering why I get SO puffed in the stomach… That must be why :0 )

82. Thank you for this interesting episode. It’s too hard and unhealthy to live off one food group. The secret to a healthy diet and lifestyle is a balanced diet. Your body needs all the nutrients, proteins, carbs and so on. I am not against specific diets and everybody is different with different body metabolism. What is right for one body isn’t necessarily right for everybody.

83. Jen says:

Interesting info from Donna Gates. I’ve suffered with bloating and other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome for several years now. I obviously have poor digestion! I’ve never thought about protein so I will bring awareness to that. I’m interested to learn more about the work of Donna Gates.

My mission at this time is to heal myself from IBS. Check out my journey at http://www.30dayhealthjourneys.com

84. Jen says:

Fantastic info from Donna Gates.