Top 10 Smoothie Ingredients Right Now – The Renegade Health Show Episode #534

Friday Mar 26 | BY |

A lot of people ask us what we eat on a regular basis…

So today, I talk about what we’re eating now as well as my top 10 smoothie ingredients.

I always put a disclaimer on this, because what we’re eating could change in literally a day from today! 🙂

Your question of the day: What smoothie ingredient are you excited about right now?

If you want to try some of these top 10, you can get some of them at the farmer’s market, but the others you can get in the Renegade Health store here:

1. jvegegirl says:

Maca!

2. There’s loads of things I like to put in green smoothies but my favourite, although I know some people don’t approve, is virgin coconut oil. I really notice the difference in how I feel, if I leave it out so i just put in a spoonful along with whatever else I’m having.

3. Anna Rodgers says:

Kev you are looking the healthiest I have ever seen you,you are positively glowing dude!

4. Kaylani says:

Young coconut, the water and the meat. Goji berries, cacao and hemp seeds and whatever else I feel like adding that morning. Yummy!

5. elle~b says:

My fav individual ingredients are: Fresh basil, Cucumber, Myer lemon, Cilantro and eye of newt!… kidding about that last one… 🙂

6. Julia says:

My favorite smoothie green is spinach, but I don’t have it every day. I also love adding Kev’s Super Delicious. I vary the fruits and greens each day. When they were in season, my favorite fruit was ripe persimmons. This winter, I really enjoyed the smoothies that had pears in them.

7. andrea says:

MACA!!!!!!

8. Barbara Howard says:

Kale, romaine, tree collard leaf, parsley, 1 or 2 fruits (apple, banana, kiwi, pineapple, berries, etc.), spirolina, vitamineralgreen.

9. Anna Rodgers says:

I have pretty plain smoothies compared to you guys, I have frozen Banana, avocado, lime juice with water and maybe some lucuma powder, i take some very strong green supplement powder in tablet form and also sun Chlorella A tabelts – my smoothie is my favorite meal of the day…….heaven!

10. Sheree says:

Right now I am into broccoli and berries. Just love those things together. I also throw in a tangerine or tangelo. :o)

11. stephanie says:

Hi Kevin,

How funny…my two cats also ate all of my chlorella tablets!!! I guess it must be good for them 🙂

For smoothies, at the moment I use oranges, pineapple, rasberries, and green powder. I prefer to eat my lettuce as a salad.

12. Jacqueline says:

I like to use spinach leaves or basil leaves, sometimes kale or beets. I add a superfood powder, a little stevia, and then sometimes a raw sprouted rice protein powder, along with some fruit and water to get it going!

13. Dr. E says:

Lucuma… with Blueberries… yum!

14. ginger root! Love it!

15. Kat says:

Oh wow – how can we pick just one? There are so many – I would have to say either hemp or chia seeds because I always include these in pretty much every smoothie.

16. Tera says:

GOJI BERRIES!! Spinach, COCONUT, and.. dulse. Yummy yummy.

17. Marlene Smith says:

I like to use a mango, strawberries, a little honey, Ormus Greens, spring lettuce, couple leaves of Kale, chia seeds and a little macca. Sometimes I’ll add a pear or apple too if it’s not sweet enough.

18. Christie says:

Kale, by far my favorite… with bananas, berries, peaches in the summer… yummmmmmm

19. Vanessa says:

I like to experiment with different ingredients but I always love frozen berries and frozen banana with baby spinach as the green! I also like adding cinnamon and a bit of fresh ginger, and maybe a bit of stevia.

20. Zeb says:

kale, pineapple have been “showing up” a lot these days and chia seeds!

21. Veronika says:

This week my favorite is goji berries! It comes naturally to me to rotate my food, and in the process I usually obssess over one ingredient for a while. Was never into goji berries until this week. Probably my body’s way of getting certain nutrients.

I love dulse too!

22. Gail Blanco says:

LOTS of greens, 1 apple, 1 whole lemon, fresh ginger, maybe a beet or carrot. Whatever I’ve got in the fridge.
    Made with a juicer (no pulp for me!)

LOVE IT! I make enough for 2 servings and put the second one in a brown glass jar in the fridge for later.

23. josanne says:

I like to add handfuls of kale, cilantro, spinach,lettuce along with some fruit like apple or pear. Always add some lemon juice and peel. Have started adding a tsp of maca powder as I’m trying to balance my hormones.

You and Annmarie got me hooked on holy basil chai! I make a big batch of it in the evenings, with a dab of honey, I feel like I’m in India.

24. Coconut milk or water, frozen mangoes and kale 🙂

25. Cindy in Marin says:

My smoothie is not complete without Vitamineral Green. A little raw ginger added to smoothies or juice makes it that much more special too.

Kev, glad you had that interview with the Kombucha guy at the Anaheim show. Finally had some for the first time and I am hooked!

Have a great weekend!

26. Either bananas, maca and cacao for a heavy one, or summer fruits for a light smoothie

27. Sheilah Renaud says:

Because I can’t do highly concentrated sweets, like bananas, I use a dollup of coconut milk (from the can…sorry!)along with one apple, a pear, berries and ALWAYS as much romaine lettuce as I can stuff in the blender….that’s my breakfast…and my boyfriend loves it, too! and sometimes parsley or gogi berries…..

28. Jennifer says:

This might be lame but… bananas. I hate eating them on their own, but when you put them in a smoothie, they are delish!

Long Beach! Wish I could come out and see you guys. How long are you going to be around?

29. Anthony Triano says:

Changes daily / apples, spinach, pineapple, oranges and of course romaine lettuce and all things fruits and veggies mix in my vita-mix and then sometimes squeezed through my nut milk bag just for juice, mmm so good

30. Paul says:

dandelion greens, parsley, and mango make a great smoothie

31. james says:

Kale,collard greens,hemp…..did I mention kale ?

32. Sharon says:

Arugula and spinach mix & pineapple (core included) with whatever other fruits are in the fridge. Arugula is amazing with just about anything and is my favorite green.

I love honey too. The darker the better. The vanilla powder sounds awesome!

I snack on dulse a lot. It’s great with avocado. It never makes it to the smoothie! Sometimes I leave the bag open so it’s crunchy and not soft and eat it plain.

Kevin & Annmarie, see if Dr. Chi is at the Expo. He does fingernail and TCM analysis. Really cool stuff. Would make an interesting interview too if he’s there.

33. Peg says:

Some time ago I went through a “pina colada” phase. Along with the romaine, celery, and a little lemon, I added a wedge of pineapple and a spoonful of coconut cream.

34. Jo says:

My newest creation that I threw in the blender….a leftover salad of Alfalfa sprouts, spinach, Arugula and romaine with Banana, apple, orange, and fresh ginger.
    Very tasty with alittle tang!!!

35. Betoman says:

Lime with any green and any berries is a great combo that tastes great.

36. turmeric root and coriander leaves

37. Tricia says:

Lacento kale, spinach, arugula, parsley, chard, celery, apple cider vinegar, hemp seeds, goji berries, aloe vera juice, tocotrienal powder, spirulina, e.v. coconut oil, msm, 1/2 pear, juice of 1/2 grapefruit, kiwi, strawberries and NO MORE CACAO thanks to you!! I was having the exact same rash and itchiness and as soon as I cut out the cacao it went away… so a thousand thanks for sharing that with us, it saved me! I’d accidentally ordered the powder and was using the same amount as I had with the nibs and obviously that was way too much and after years of using it I no longer can : ( Oh well, live and learn!

38. john says:

To many for me to mention, one is ice cold tahiti coconut juice with figs and dates! It is a God created natural high for my pallet ,isn’t it spectacular how God created food JUST RIGHT that it pleases our taste buds so very much!! Kevin your cat even” KNOWS” what real food is and partied out ? in your motor home.You and Ann marie must have been raising your right palm of your hand towards your forehead when you came back home saying -oh no!!! at the costly mess. Take care and God bless you.

39. Tricia says:

PS: After years of using the nibs, not the powder. The powder abuse probably went on for a month or two…eek!

40. Peggy says:

I am surprised nobody mentioned avocado. I usually have a half an avocado, a few frozen strawberries, AIM BarleyLife Xtra, maca (for energy), and carob powder. Kevin, you mentioned carrot powder. Where do you get your carrot powder? I found an awesome carrot powder. Will share with you, if you like.

41. Lauren says:

Kale, celery, romaine, hemp seed protein powder, and always frozen mixed berries! One quart every morning!!!!!

42. Lauren says:

Forgot to mention that I put carrots in my smoothie.

43. Shirley says:

Kevin:

I have been wanting to tell you that my cat just loves the spirulina crunchies.

44. Aron says:

Smoothies have definitely been my staple daytime foods for the last couple of years. I can never go past ripe bananas for the taste and also the calories for my active life!

Other usuals are strawbs, blueberries, any sort of lettuce or spinach, and cucumber.

A couple of these and does anyone else need to pee a lot?!

Kev – always love your energy! Where do most of your calories come from?

45. Mary Artemis says:

SPINACH and Coconut Yogurt
    Mary from Stamford

46. Missy Brown says:

Blueberries and coconut water!

47. Ineke says:

At the moment I mostly juice but I do also make smoothies and puddings for me and my daughter. (Her favorite is avocado, banana and raspberries) Apart from berries, I love cinnamon in smoothies. Depending on the size of the smoothie it can go up to 1 TBSP. BTW, we absolutely love the Sun warrior protein powder. Since my husband’s diet is so strict (Hippocrates), this protein powder is his treat. We have it with nut/rice milk and cardamom, cayenne, cinnamon and flax seed oil. That is his milk shake and a great post workout drink. Matt and Angela Monarch sell it too! I’m very interested in your vanilla powder

48. Debra says:

Loads of different greens, but love Kale the most! Add mango, bananas and flax seed, our daily yum. Then I pour two cups of that on one cup of blueberries for my breakfast.

49. taylor says:

herbal tea bases…. pearlpowder, parsley,
    pea shoots and bok choy are some of my favorites…

50. Celena says:

I agree with you Kevin about the ‘Ultimate Vanilla Powder’. It’s amazing! Only wish it was easier to get our hands on here in Canada. My favorite smoothies are made with Swiss Chard, Romaine, mint, parsley, pinapple, and Lacuma powder. Perfect breakfast smoothie.

51. organic kale and collard
    chlorella
    spiralina
    maca
    Hemp protein powder
    goji berries
    cacoa beans (5-8)
    camu camu powder
    Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    Homemade tonic for the base made of reishi mushroom and shashandra berries.
    Only use spring water I get from outside of Sedona, AZ.

Two of these per day has literally changed my life over the past 2 years! We are spirit in matter and the matter matters!! It is all about an exchange of energy… the foods we eat can active our genes to their full genius potential.

Much light. Chris

52. Karen says:

I’m a newbie to raw so . . . .

Why do you have carrot powder. Why not just fresh carrots?????
    I am also interested in why so many powdered additives.

My DH and I love frozen banana brown pear kiwi with 3 large handfuls of baby spinach couple sticks celery.

or strawberries, 1/2 pineapple frozen banana 1/2 head coz lettuce.

Karen from Oz 😉

53. Monica says:

SWISS CHARD … i have it growing in my front yard. awesome, organic, super easy… I use about 3 HUGE leaves (spine and all, of course! silly people who dont use the spine….) and add frozen organic berries, lemon, a banana with a LOT of cayenne and cinnamon. Oh and a tblsp of flax seed…

sooo super yum for breakfast everyday! wow… makes me want one right now… 🙂

seriously, since i lost my job several months ago, I thank GOD for front yard veggies! YEAY, VEGGIES!

54. Kevin says:

Lately I’ve been putting one frozen RIPE organic banana, one tablespoon VitaMineral Green or Ormus Greens (wish they did a version without the peppermint!), one handful of coconut sweetened cacao nibs, and one scoop of SunWarrior vanilla rice protein into the Vita-Mix and it powers me all morning. I snack on some tangerines and dried mango for the rest of the morning and then have a salad based meal for lunch and grains and greens for dinner.. I like the vanilla powder and carrot powder ideas a lot. The spirulina crunchies are awesome but too expensive to make a habit of..

55. Dean says:

OK Kevin, now I’m really worried about Johnny5.. LOL.. just kidding. where I live here in Texas is just over 100 miles from the nearest place that I might possibly be able to buy organic produce. that’s the reason I didn’t invite you and Ann Marie to my home.
    I juice non-organic veggies and fruit everyday, hoping that my vinegar washes and carefull attention to cleanliness will pay off for me. but for ingredients, anything cruciferous, carrots, celery, flax seeds and avocado are my favorites.
    Love what you are doing, you are a breath of fresh air in a stagnant world..

56. Geri says:

fresh ginger, cinnamon, goji and blueberries, apples…

57. Lizardo says:

At the moment I’m making myself a super green machine that consist of two parts –
    Part One:
    16 oz 206 degrees of hot water
    6 tbs of MatéVana found at http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Mate-Teas/Mat-Vana-Herbal-Tea.axd
    Leave to infuse for 8 minites then chilled with ice. I put the ice in the blinder then pour the hot tea over it. don’t forget to train out the tea.

Part two:

1/4 of avacado
    1/2 of Fuji Apple
    1/4 Cup of Shelled Hemp Seeds
    1 tbs of Lucuma Powder
    1 tbs of Maca
    1/2 tbs Chlorella
    1 tbs of Green Powder
    3 tbs of Mesque Honey
    1/4 tbs of Tulsi
    1/4 tbs Shilajith
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    5 Cocoa beans
    1/4 cub of Chia Gel

This green drink keeps me going all day and I still have energy after the Gym.

58. Taylor says:

Avocados!! they make the creamiest smoothies!!

59. nina says:

I use wheat germ and greek yogurt and fruit. Wheat germ has a great nutrient profile – hard to beat! Has wheat germ gone out of style?

60. Samantha says:

Cha..Cha..Cha..Chia by far – I guess it is my turn for the Chia kick! I eat about 1/2 cup a day!

61. Bill Murphy says:

I am loving Kang Kong (Ipomoea aquatica) right now. It is a leafy green high in protein that gives the smoothies a nice creamy taste. I read that it has been classified as a noxious weed in the USA…LOL

I also love the honey that I am getting free from a friend with bees. It is the best honey ever! 🙂

62. hyesun says:

lots of greens!!!! also beets, cucumber and celery. veggies. sprouts. and always cayenne pepper!!!!

i’ve heard that most chlorella and seaweeds are contaminated with heavy metals…….has anyone else heard that? also sea salts. in fact, anything from the ocean. i used to eat a lot of that stuff but am cutting down since i’ve heard this. has anyone else heard this?
    kevin?? the reason i’m stopping is because i have mercury toxicity and i’ve been doing lots of reading/research on how to detox. it’s complicated and everyone has a different opinion, but it makes sense that everything in the sea is contaminated, especially because of coal being in the air/clouds, and then the rain contaminating the seas. bummer.

63. hyesun says:

by the way, i’ve learned that mercury and heavy metals REALLY wreak havoc on your health and cause so many health problems. if you don’t get rid of the metals/toxins, you will never get well no matter how well you eat or live.
    i’ve experienced it for the past 3 years…..
    hypothyroid, messed up hormones, peripheral neuropathy, chronic fatigue, brain fog, memory problems, very weak immune system – mercury can cause all of this.

64. sharon says:

First I juice 6-8 oz of greens (kale, romaine, parsley, fennel tops, celery) and then throw that into the blender with some fruit (apple or pear, blueberries or mango) a squeeze of lemon juice (to make the minerals in the greens bio-available) a half cup of chia that I’ve soaked overnight, maca, soaked goji berries, some soaked almonds or sunflower seeds, and some VitaMineral Mix. Oh, and a couple of tangerines from my tree.

Now I have two questions:
    If I use chia, do I want to use flax seed or hemp seed as well? I figure all or any of those are for the Omega 3s and are interchangeable.

I have lots of Tulsi Tea, so can I open a bag and use the Tulsi in that for my smoothie?

65. hyesun says:

oh yeah……one more thing……..avocado in my smoothies! it’s amazing, just like taylor said!!! sooooo creamy and yummy, like a milkshake!!

66. sharon says:

an “oh yeah” for me too. Just got the idea that I should soak my chia seeds or goji berries in the Tulsi Tea instead of eating the stuff in the tea bag

67. Guylaine says:

Yummy smoothies! I agree about the romaine. It’s a sweet mild green and I eat it every day in a salad. I like berries in my smoothies, fresh in summer and frozen in winter. Sometimes some hemp milk instead of water. a seasonal fruit and the usual banana to sweeten it all.
    I have added soaked flax seed lately. I love it.
    What good vibes you have Kevin.
    Annmarie and Kevin you are beautiful!

68. Joel Brown says:

I’m not a seasoned smoothie connoisseur, but my best smoothie experience was on Maui. I was living on organic farmland and we were able to toss some mashed, frozen nanners (bananas), atemoyas, papayas, and sometimes white sapotes or mangoes in a blender with nothing else! Not even something to liquify. Twas the best treat ever. There is a blog of that farm adventure at mauimuffins.blogspot.com

69. eli says:

I make a “chewy” instead of a smoothie–I pulse the VitaMix instead of a full blend. First tons of greens: kale chard dandelion collards spinach, but just to bite size in water and ice. Then set that aside and in water and ice do cilantro or parsley with carrot burdock horseradish flaxmeal cucumber and lemon, pulsed to diced size. Add that to the greens. Then one large tomato fully blended. Shake it all up and eat it with a fork. I used to do fruit but it got too sweet and I guess greens taste good to me now.

70. bethany says:

I always like cucumbers and celery in mine. I just bought some limes to put in ’cause I’ve never tried it before.

71. Jasmine says:

Cactus! I’m in mexico right now and I’ve had some great green smoothies with cactus, celery, spinach, parsley, pineapple, and ginger.

72. Irina says:

My current favorite is:young coconut (pulp and water), meyer lemons, vitamineral green,pineapple,bee pollen, maca, and a nice head of romaine lettuce, or dandelions.

73. Charlie says:

Boku Superfood, Camu-Camu, kale, local honey, dulse, mango, raspberry, ground flax, dandelion greens, goji berries, shiitake mushroom, too many to name! Need to get my hands on some tulsi. Great video!

74. Janet says:

I like bok choy and strawberries in my smoothie. I add some camu camu berry powder for the Vit-C, and some ginger root. I also put in a probiotic and rosemary which just really send it to heaven.

Kev – why are you still using flax seeds? They are very estrogenic on the body, 3 times more than soy. See Dr. Wong’s podcasts at http://www.drwongradio.com.

75. Jack Glottman says:

I love adding about 1/16 of a teaspoon of powdered clove to my green smoothie

76. Nicole says:

Banana. I find a little goes a long way in adding sweetness and texture. Also love ginger, apples, and chia.

Kevin: you had wonderful energy today! Your enthusiasm pumps me up for the day ahead…even though it’s Saturday and I have to work.

Bring on the top 10 lists; love em:-)

77. esther says:

Dino kale, orange juice, and bananna smoothie.

78. Britt says:

spinach, romaine, apple or banana, berries, bee pollen, goji berries, sometimes maca, some sort of green powder, dulse, and love!

79. Goji Berries, Avacado (for a pudding texture), Celery (for a thick texture), I also did Pineapple, Hemp Protein Powder, Cocnut Oil, Lettuce or Spinach and Himalayan Salt and it was very malty and super delicious.

I sometimes add Hunza Golden Raisins after blending if I’m craving something chewy. Its like having healthy gummy bears in your smoothie =)

Mequite, Hemp seed, Yacon, Lucuma, Noni and Sun is Shining also grace my smoothies frequently. Also Mucuna Puriens, Tribulus Terrestris Saponis, Ashwaganda, and Shilajit =) My Holy Basil (Tulsi) is coming in the mail hopefully this week!

Light and Love and Healing to all of you,
    -Patrick Arden McNally

80. Heyward says:

TABLESPOON E3 LIVE
    1/3rd cuo of goji cashew ice cream

water.

I lurve it.

81. crow says:

Normally in a smoothing I put cucumber, kale or spinach, coconut, raw honey (my favorite is
    wildflowe honey) mango, pineapple, and what ever ftuits are in season,

82. Heyward says:

I’m dead serious about working for you guys for free. I do nothing but sit in this southern mansion living off my grandfather’s money.

I take massive, 4-5 hour walks that end at the natural foods store. My buddy runs a tonic bar inside the store http://www.jingmasters.com so I hang out there for an hour or so, and then walk back home. That’s my day.

Heyward.Boyce@gmail.com

it is kind of jarring to see someone put their email out there like that….but I like when people email me and bring the crazy.

83. Jeff says:

Does any put ice in their smooties – I like mine cold and it can thicken it a bit as well…

84. Satori says:

My current and all-time favorite is blueberries…ummm…yum!

By the way, could anyone tell me how to eat buckwheat cereal, please? can we eat them raw after sprouting?

P.S. I couldn’t go to the Long Beach Health Freedom Expo today!!! I really hope I can make it to there tomorrow…Only if my boss who drinks coke instead of water understands how important it is for me to check out this expo….dah!

85. Koa Sky says:

Fresh mint leaves. Lots!

86. Nick says:

Cilantro is what I been “riffin’ on” the last few days. It also works well together with chlorella, I hear…vs. mercury, of course. But then what about dulse & other sea veges vis-a-vis mercury concentrations? Myself, I would guess low levels cuz seaweed is pretty low on the food chain… ah, but maybe seaweed can concentrate mercury thru chelating the oceans. I dunno. You’re the researcher 🙂 I just don’t think I “hit the books” as hard as you do. I was in a raw restaurant a while back & got in a bit of what was arguably a debate on, I guess, vegetable vs. mineral intake of minerals. Like is sea salt even OK, or should such be taken thru the food we eat, be it sea weeds or other? I use both, specifically dulse & sea salt. Specifically Himalayan or some other area’s inland rock salt. I have reason to believe the oceans back then weren’t so polluted as now. I sprinkled sea salt onto my juice is what sparked the discussion. We agreed to disagree. Oh, and I also put spirulina in smoothies more regularly than cilantro, is for sure. I like to think it will help my eyes. I’d like to dispense with my specs all together. However vain a hope that may seem I did read about the real possibility of positive neuroplastic change, in “The Brain That Changes Itself” I think it was called, by Dr. Norman Doidge. But I wear my glasses way too much, reinforcing the dependence, ugh. The other thing is I do have a t-shirt “lettuce be healthy” I found in a thrift shop some months ago. Generally clothing is a lot further away from being organic than is conventional foods. So many reasons not to buy new of most all things…

87. anasha Sol says:

i only use greens , rotating them and including wild edible and fruits, if on the road and no possibilities of buying organic greens than i use ormus green or some green grasses, i never mix veggies with smoothies or fat as it complicates the digestion, and i would use linseeds sparingly, better chia seeds as the 1st ones are abrasive to the guts lining.

88. Lisa says:

MACA & ROSEHIPS powder…

89. donna says:

blueberries cover a world of bitterness and allow me to consume juiced kale, which i really can’t stand on its own. 😉

Also carrots/cucumber/apples…. well actually just whatever i have around that I am in the mood for.

90. I love your show, but I often don´t understand what you say! I live in Sweden. Please talk a little slower!
    And please watch http://www.suprememastertv.com
    With Love!
    Viveka

91. Nick says:

Was just reading a few comments & don’t you folks think ice is not nice for the stomach & the digestive process? I believe the cold shocks, then puts digestion in temporary abeyance. The impression I got was the stomach needs heat for digestion & assimilation. Then the story I got was that with the advent of refrigerators it was seen as a status symbol for a host to give ice water to guests. Then it just stuck as a practice, a habit of a society on autopilot. Other cultures don’t go for ice water.

92. Dawni says:

Hey Kevin:

Your hair and beard are working well together. Really nice!

It is fun rotating ingredients. I got into smoothies with the 14 Day Raw Food Challenge in January. And have loved them ever since.

I am still working with cranberries and spinach along with a smidge of Maca, and Hemp Protein Powder in my morning smoothies. Really simple. Some days I add coconut and pineapple. Also some weeks I use coconut kefir to help me keep the gut happy.

I often have an apple and an orange in the morning or just before dusk if I am hungry.

Now lunch is really fun as I have been having a wild time with a variety of lettuces in combo with romaine. This week I am working on butter lettuce with my romaine. And tomorrow will moved to Artisan lettuce. I love Tahini as my fat and alternate from making dressings with sunflower seeds or tahini with lemon, lime, garlic, jalapeno and cayenne to lightly dress my salads. I use dulse, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, sprouts and more sprouts, microcreens, pea shoots and several times per week fermented veggies, cukes, varied cabbage greens and bruschetta. Love bruschetta.

This massive salad…is satisfying and generally it for the day.

I ordered Tulsi and the Vanilla powder and look forward to using it. Also just received some lucuma powder and look forward to experimenting.

Dawni

93. Dawni says:

Hey Kevin:

Your hair and beard are working well together. Really nice!

Now lunch is really fun as I have been having a wild time with a variety of lettuces in combo with romaine. This week I am working on butter lettuce with my romaine. And tomorrow will move to Artisan lettuce and dandelion. I love Tahini as my fat and alternate from making dressings with sunflower seeds or tahini with lemon, lime, garlic, jalapeno and cayenne to lightly dress my salads. I use dulse, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, sprouts and more sprouts, microgreens, pea shoots and several times per week fermented veggies, cukes, varied cabbage greens and bruschetta. Love bruschetta.

By Sunday, I will rock with the Kales…I strive for two heads of greens a day in the spirit of Kevin’s call to greens during the end of 2009. It really resonated with me.

This massive salad…is satisfying and often my last meal of the day.

Dawni

94. Sandi Seegert says:

Carrots Celery sometimes Spinach Apples Romaine Coconut Chia Hempseed, sometimes with banana, blueberries and need to add in Tulsi

95. Linda Miller says:

This winter I’ve been making several different pineapple smoothies because pineapples have been on sale a lot, and I love pineapple. Yesterday, I had 1/4 pineapple with core, 1/3 large cucumber,frozen blueberries, frozen banan, and kale.

96. PlzChuckle says:

I vary greens, fruits, veggies and superfoods/herbs daily and come across ones that get repeated. Yesterday was one of those days:

2 granny smith apples
    1/2t cinnamon
    heaping handful of baby spinach
    8 0z pure water

It was taken to work for lunch in a glass bottle … it didn’t make it that long 😀

97. Sue says:

So many favourites! Right now it’s watermelon, pineapple, oranges, bananas and mangos with collard greens, spinach or curly kale plus sprouted broccoli powder and flax seeds. Usually have some or all of those fruits with one of the greens (60% fruit 40% greens) plus the flax seeds, broccoli powder and some spring water, every morning for breakfast.

98. As I was reading the benefits of perennial vegetables, and I have my own organic garden, I’m trying some of them in my smoothies. So my top ten are:
    1. Rosemary
    2. Mint
    3. Thyme
    4. Parsley (not actually a perennial, but a biennial)
    5. Nopalito cactus
    6. Lemongrass
    From here all annuals
    7. Apples, pears, bananas for sweet flavor
    8. Kale (my favorite), romaine lettuce, purslane, mesclun, arugula, celery
    9. Broccoli, amaranth, radish microgreens
    10. Avocado or nut or seed milk

And Kevin you should try the cultured quinoa milk, delicious, the recipe is in the Body Ecology Diet site.

I strongly advice you to try some of the perennial herbs in your smoothies, they give so much flavor in the mix. Obviously the base is always my fruit and romaine, celery or kale.

99. Sue says:

@hyesun

Regarding the heavy metals toxicity – that is something I’ve also been concerned about (particularly in considering whether to use Oceangrown on my veg patch). Having done some research I’ve found that spirulina is being hailed as a chelation therapy (removes heavy metals from the body) and that it has been used on the children of Chernobyl as a treatment for radiation poisoning (this is the children that have been affected in the years since the disaster, due to a contaminated water supply). I read an article that said it had proved more effective, acting more quickly and with no side effects, than standard chelation therapy. I’ve just tried to find the same article for you, but couldn’t. If you do a search for “Chernobyl + spirulina” in Google, you will come up with lots of articles referring to the study.

Since you have mercury toxicity, spirulina would probably help. I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m thinking about adding it to my diet – a couple of years ago, I had a load of cosmetic dentistry done to my teeth and had all my amalgam fillings removed – so I think it is likely I also have a certain amount of mercury toxicity in my body from this. The only thing that has stopped me from using it so far is that I expect it to taste like pond weed (since that it what it is) and therefore rather disgusting. Perhaps someone here who has actually eaten it can enlighten me on how it really tastes. Is it awful?

100. Candy(lilmissfitnessgirl) says:

I have at least one smoothie every day(usually after my workout and Alternate days between these two below right now.

1. Hemp protein powder(4 tbsp)which has lots of fiber(14gr), protein(11gr), chlorophyl and the good omegas, 1 whole banana(fresh or frozen), 1 cup blueberries(fresh or frozen),and 1 cup Almond Milk.

2. Brown Rice Protein powder(1 tbsp)for protein(11 gr), 1 1/2 tbs chia seeds(for good fat and the omegas), 2 cups lettuce(for chlorophyl), 1 cup almond milk, 1 whole banana(fresh or frozen), and 1 cup berries(fresh or frozen).

101. My Favorite smoothie ingredient is mango.

102. my favorite smoothie is dandelion (from my yard) and grapefruit
    peace
    kumari

103. Kaye says:

Lately I have been experimenting with protein. I alternate Manitoba Hemp with Vega. I almost always use cacao(eek) and always use 2T of Salba. I generally use a vanilla powder too. This of course is always in addition to a combo of fruits and a leafy green for my smoothies.
    I must say you do look fantastically healthy!!

104. Heather says:

Cool interview line ups…looking forward to them all.

Been juicing veggies in the mornings for 4 weeks now. We’re hooked. To my mortification, my husband was taking caffeine pills and drinking those toxic energy drinks, therefore I am esctaticly glad he’s getting away from that since I got him hooked to fresh, raw, organic veggie juice. Hoorah!!!

Now on to smoothie ingredients…for lunch I started blending one, usually after working out. This is a recently implemented occurance, too. For now, I like to use coconut water and meat, organic virgin coconut oil, soaked pesticide free chia seeds, raw cacoa powder, rice protein, a handful of frozen, pesticide free, wild boreal blueberries, with a smidgen of raw honey. To assist you in fulfilling your mission, I will throw in a romaine lettuce leaf or two and see how I like that…mission accompli! 🙂

I just ordered raw vanilla bean powder and can’t wait to try adding some. After I get off of here, I am going to break the seal and sniff it…LOL!

After recieving a sample of raw organic hemp protein powder, I discovered I liked it too, so may switch my protein powders around in the future. I did a completely raw egg for the first time ever early this week…and discovered I don’t mind it, so this is now another protein option, too.

When I first started blending this 4 weeks ago, I used flax seed, but after hearing concerns about what the estrogen might do to the body, decided to give the chia seeds a predominate go. I still use our flax once or twice a week, as I don’t want to waste what we have, and will likely still keep some on hand for use in moderation.

I am also limiting the raw cocao to 3x’x per week, as I can already tell I would easily love to overdo a good thing, putting it on a bad path. Probably will occassionally fast from cocoa for a week or slonger, as I feel the need, just as a precaution. Perhaps I can use the vanilla bean powder as a substitute on the off days?!? Hmmm….

I usually down my chlorella and occasionally some spirulina down with one of these feasts, as I personally do not care much for the taste of these powders in juices or smoothies, especially spirulina powder…blech!

There are a ton of interesting combo ideas on here. What wonderful raw foodie company to be around. I would love to experiment with some of these favorites in the future.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

105. Nihacc says:

I love spinach in my smoothie! And I suggested them to my mum and now she loves them too! Great!!

106. Jan says:

Recently tried MacaForce Dark Mint and love it. I have used it in smoothies with all kinds of fresh green.

107. Alexandra says:

big on juicing. how do i more efficiently get sea vegetables,kale or spinach into my juice.

108. ed says:

love to put chickweed, nettles, spinach, or lettuce in my smoothie with of course, slippery elm powder!
    use a bit of stevia or maple syrup or soaked dates as a sweetener.
    also use fresh mint
    i use two bananas, just love bananas!
    simple
    peace and do no harm
    ed

109. hyesun says:

sue –
    thanks for your comments. since spiralina is an algae (?) from the sea, wouldn’t it be contaminated also? don’t know. i just talked to someone who helps people detox after they get their amalgams out, and he said do not eat or consume ANYTHING from the ocean, even sea salt. which is really sad, because i love seaweed, kelp, fish, sea salt, etc. it’s terrible that we’re are bombarded with toxicity in this day and age…..

110. Chriss says:

Grapefruit I add it to almost all my smoothies. I especially love it with spinach. It is just so refreshing and energizing. It has to be my favorite fruit, I think I lived on grapefruits, spinach and nut butter (almond macadamia) to survive exam week.

111. Laura says:

I live in Northern Ca and right now there are tons of wild greens to use. Mostly I’ve been using chickweed (love it!) and miner’s lettuce. I felt sad Kevin when I heard they cut down your wild plant supply!
    My usual greens are kale, romaine and spinach mixed with whatever fruits are in season or frozen blueberries. Plus chia, maca, spirulina or some other superfood.

112. Ooo we have so many favorites!! But we have to say PANINIS is THE #1 ingredient for smoothies. Also called “tuna” . Fruit of the prickly pear cactus. They are out of season now here on Maui and we are sooo bummin. Its all good though. We have tons o backup ingreds.

We like to add spinach, kale, collards, chard, LIME is a must, frozen banana, (all from garden/property) as well as chia, MSM, maca.

Cant wait for mango season cuz thats probably right up there with the paninis. But we have a dream someday of FRESH GOJI BERRIES!!!!!! We have 3 goji plants taking off right now. (Started from seed).
    Hopefully within a year or so those will be a fruitin’!!

Have fun at the expos guys!!! Love you tons!

Aloha~
    C&S

113. Tyra McMahon says:

Just made a smoothie. Here’s what I put in it.

Banana, strawberries, water and a little almond milk, cinnamon, hemp seeds, chia seeds, lots of romaine lettuce and cilantro. YUM!!!

114. zion says:

Spinach, fresh ginger, pineapple, mango, lemon juice and a hint of agave. Yummy

115. Barbara says:

I love the nutty taste of hemp seeds…I use them on everything.

116. Rhonda D says:

I like strawberry, blueberry, with spinach or kale or romaine, with banana, apple or pear, water and mint leaves OMG so refreshing.

117. Leam says:

My favorite lately has been papaya, spinach, ginger, chia, coconut water and almond milk – so creamy and spicy with the ginger! Love it!
    As you said, this list will probably change as things start to grow in our garden.

118. Dennis says:

Great Topic! I have a lot of favorites. Depending on the season, pears, tangy apples, grapes, goji berries, mixed berries, oranges. Romaine lettuce, kale, baby spinach, mustard greens (when I’m brave), barley powder, ormus greens (give quite a kick), hemp seeds. There’s so many great combinations.

119. Carol says:

Hey Kev:

Just want to say that whatever you are doing seems to be working. You look healthy and great. Skin shining along with your shiny teeth. Keep up the great work.

120. Ellen says:

Spinach, banana, apple, mango, romaine lettuce, cinnamon, hemp protein powder, hemp seeds, flax, almond milk, coconut oil

121. Christie says:

Great show! I love spinach, kale, dandelion, pear, lucuma, Vitamineral Greens, and pear…. although any fresh fruit/veg is great!

Thanks for all the great info.

122. 1) Joe Mercola blocked me on youtube and when I called his office, they put me on hold and hung up on me. I called back and they said they will fix the issue, but never did.

2) Kevin Trudeau is a fraud and I thought everyone knew that by now… what a jerk! He has good advice, but he lie, steals, and uses shady references and “logic”.

123. ld says:

Spinach, celery, cucumber, a little kale, a little chickory, fresh ginger, maca, msm, a small apple and sometimes a carrot. Sometimes I add a little coconut oil to make it have a creamy taste.

124. Jo says:

My favorite ingredient has to be dehydrated coconut spread from Awesome Foods. I use strawberries, blueberries, spinach, sometimes Romaine if I have an abundance of it and a few other ingredients, but the coconut spread and cinnamon take it over the top for me. Breakfast is always the best meal of the day! 😀

125. Julie says:

For me: really can’t get better than mango and spinach. Two ingredients plus water/ice. Mmmm.

126. Lori says:

I use many different ingredients depending on what i can purchase that is local/organic at any certain time of year. The one thing i have done different and daily is to add New Zealand Colostrum Powder and i feel soooo much better. Dumped out the whey protein powder i used to use. Even give it to my dogs that had poor hair coat and now they shine. I’ve also purchased the Manuka honey and it healed up a diabetic ulcer my husband had. The VA wanted to amputate his leg before the infection spread so i used colloidal silver to disinfect daily and packed it with the honey mixed with table sugar for 4 days. It formed a scab and since my husband does not trust “alternative” medicine he found a wound specialist that also runs a hyperbaric chamber. He said your wife is way ahead of me and no need for any further treatment. It is fine!! So much for amputation….idiots!!

127. Jan Podolske says:

Kale, Parsley, Banana, Honey, Cinnamon, ginger root, Papaya, fresh lemon juice. I usually try for 3 fruits and 3 greens. Does not always happen. My smoothies vary with what is on sale or with the season!

128. Phyllis says:

My favorite smoothie includes collard green (a couple of leaves minus the stems), pineapple spears, juice of an orange and blueberries.

129. Lisa says:

I just got my Vitamix this week and I LOVE it! I also just cracked my first coconut open today since your raw food challenge has coconut in it 🙂

The vanilla powder sounds great – can you do a Wednesday cooking show making a smoothie with it?

Thanks!

130. Patty says:

handful of soaked raw cashews/a banana/T of raw cacao/t of Ormus Greens/some water and ice cubes and blend – yummy!!

131. hey kevin
    it is important to rotate your greens
    check out http://www.reneoswald.com as she has info on that
    don’t eat romaine lettuce every day, eat different lettuces each day (red leaf, green leaf, boston, butter) and then other greens like parsley and cilantro and spinach

also check out my blog http://www.rawsomegal.com for my 42 day coconut water cleanse i did in december 09 through january 2010…i also post other topics, as well

my favorite green is cilantro, as it is a heavy metal detoxifier

namaste
    chef mindy aka ageless raw beauty

132. Sophia says:

I love coconut water!!!

133. Sarah says:

fennel!

134. Doreen says:

I love celery and cucumber together…sometimes with parsley! It is such a refreshing drink! I love many others, but this is one of my favs!

135. Stephanie says:

BERRIES!!!!! and mint. nom nom nommmmm……

136. zyxomma says:

My favorite is always what I’m having today! My smoothies usually include “sweet” spices like ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, mace, nutmeg, anise, star anise, cloves (you get the picture). I often add superfoods (maca, acai – I use the raw frozen unsweetened stuff, not the pasteurized, sweetened sambazon). Health and peace.

137. Susan says:

Well, my favorite smoothie ingredient at the momoent is fresh organic beet greens, the only problem is there are too many beets to eat. I use all the greens in only one smoothie. I’ve been giving the beets to my Mom and sister. I have the same problem with brocolli, love the spears not the tops as much, been feeding the tops to visiting deer.

Kevin, your enthusiasm is like a ray of sunshine every day, thank you.

138. Anne says:

For those looking for a Heavy Metal Detox:

Cilantro Chelation Pesto
    4 cloves garlic
    1/3 cup Brazil nuts (high selenium source)
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds (high protein and a good source of cysteine, which helps chelation)
    1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (great magnesium and zinc source)
    2 cups packed fresh cilantro (vitamin A source)
    2/3 cups flaxseed oil
    4 Tbsp lemon juice (vitamin C source)
    2 tsp Dulse powder
    Bragg’s Liquid Amino (to taste, a soy product)

Process the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the cilantro is chopped.
    Add the garlic, nuts, and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste.
    Add a squirt of Bragg’s Liquid Amino (go slow, this can get salty in a hurry).
    Store in a dark glass jar if possible (it also freezes well).

Taking 2 teaspoons per day over a period of three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of
    mercury, lead, and aluminum, thus effectively removing the toxins from our bodies.

If there is a liver residue, when you detoxify the kidney they will begin to allow the liver to release, that may call for a longer period of taking the pesto.

139. Val Jacobson says:

Anything green plus: Extra Mints and or Cilantro from the garden. Frozen Coconut mylk. Aronia Berries and Lemon and Honey.

Please come visit us in Saint Joseph Missouri and I’ll introduce you to an Aronia Berry farmer and take you to Goode Acres Organic Green House for multitude of mid-west goodies! I applied for you challenge so you can help me heal and I can show you the abundance of Northwest Missouri.

140. Jessica says:

My all-time favorite is my own version of Carrot-Orange smoothie. It’s very delicious and very healthy with only 55 calories in it. Go ahead and give it a try with your own variations!

141. Michelle says:

Hi Kevin,
    Just a note about your cat eating the chlorella… My cat Ashiki did the same and stopped eating and drinking for almost three days. He could have died as cats livers get fatty very quickly when they stop eating>( I forced about 50 cc’s of fluid from a tube and tube fed him on the third day as well (poor guy) Found out (Vet poison control) that
    colostum would help and a half PepsidAC. (had to go guy that:)
    This was not a fun time, as Ashiki was very sick…Was also advised to take him to a vet..but resisted…
    Joyfully he survived…please let’s put all of out “healthy foods” away from our furry friends. They have a different PH requirement.
    In Health,
    Michelle

142. Terri says:

Kev,
    Been watching for over 2 years now and have to say this episode showed by far the best enthusiasm ever!!! Loved seeing it!!! Thanks for all you give.

143. John says:

I’m excited about the fresh greens like romaine lettuce! I love the incredible energy boost, I normally do a head of some kind of fresh, loose greens with mixed berries, yacon root syrup, seaweed flakes and possibly any superfoods on hand (goji berries, maca, etc).

Thanks, Kev!

— John

144. Trudy Lane says:

Hello Kevin, I put water, romaine, soaked chia seeds, apple, Dr. Ben Kim greens, a 14 blend mushrooms powder, and a lemon. Thanks for the great info and hard research you do. Thanks, Trudy

145. miss Amerika says:

I love AMAZING GRASS right now.

AH! Looks like a box of coca tea behind the kitchen faucet.

146. Paul Maher says:

There’s an interesting post over at the Health Journal Club that makes the case that people should just not eat anything that wasn’t a food 100 years ago. Gets rid of the aspartame, bleached GM flour, high fructose corn syrup garbage they try to pass off as food these days. If interested you can read on it here,

147. Eric P. says:

Favorite smoothie ingredients: A handful of cilantro leaves makes a great green addition to a smoothie. I use banana as the main fruit whenever possible, plus whatever berries I might have on hand. Raw, unfiltered honey is exquisite, too…the darker, the better! Lately, I’ve been adding some neem leaf powder to my smoothies. It’s bitter, so enough other flavors have to be there to balance it. Sometimes I like adding some spinach leaves. Any of the following raw nuts/seeds, soaked overnight: almonds, cashews (especially good combined with the banana), sesame seeds (whole), pumpkin seeds. The smoothie is my breakfast, and the highlight of my mornings!

148. Gwen says:

Banana, Spinach, Apple, Mango, Blueberries, Clelery, Carob, Lucuma, Dates, Silica Gel.

149. Pat G. says:

Wow, this collection of recipes is soooo cool. I left my liter in the office freezer accidentally over the weekend. It’s thawed to an icy ball. I know the spinach is still live, since it seems to grow after it’s blended. In addition, I put a lot of fresh strawberries, small container of blueberries, a shake of Himalyan salt and stevia, about a 1/4 t. of maca and 90K cayenne…spicy!…part of a pear, a couple of sticks of celery and it’s damn tasty!

150. Britt says:

Favourite ingredients at the moment for my smoothies are ginger and passion fruit. Live in China and so loved your video but have no idea what some of your top ten ingredients are !!! Have tried buying products from your shop, alas, have been told you do not ship internationally – Hope that changes one day 🙂

Keep up the great work, love your show and love that you and Anne-Marie look SO healthy…… Hugs from China x

151. Mike says:

Rice bran! Nutrient-dense, essentially pre-digested, perfect core ingredient and it blends well with just about everything else you might normally add.

152. rj says:

You talked up the brand of vanilla powder but you didn’t show the packaging, brand name or say who makes it.