Paul Nison on Raw Vegan Pitfalls – The Renegade Health Show Episode #529

Friday Mar 19 | BY |

Here’s the last of the Expo West series for ya…

Today, I talk with Paul Nison about supplementation, blood testing and raw vegan pitfalls.

Paul brings up some good points that make this video a must watch!

Your question of the day: What are you addicted to?

Customer Appreciation Sale is still going on! 10% off all orders until Saturday at 11:59 PM PST (this was extended because of my mistake!)

Coupon code is: LOVE

Why? ‘Cause we love you! 🙂

Click here to go to the store… http://store.renegadehealth.com

1. Janette says:

My biggest addiction is lating late at night.

2. Susan says:

I have never had and an addition to anything in my life till now. I can’t stop eating cooked food along with raw and I’m paying for it.

3. John says:

I am addicted to…SUGAR!

4. Joy says:

Chocolate. Not ready to give it up yet. Yogurt was another, but have let that one go.

5. Dana says:

Since I stopped eating refined sugar I now crave fruit. I usually eat about 5-6 servings per day. I know this is too much. My favorite is fresh pineapple. I went on a cruise and probably ate a whole pineapple every morning from the buffet. I also love chopped dates coated in oat flour. If I start nibling on them I can’t quit. The same with raw almonds. So basically the things I’m addicted to are high in calories so I try not to over do it. I am very thankful that I am not addicted to smoking or alcohol or anything like that.

Kevin, thanks for sharing all of this great info from the expo!

Peace, Dana

6. Craig says:

We all have addictions either positive or negative .seems like the word is negative for most people
    The meaning of the word addiction in the English lexicon varies according to context. A positive addiction is a beneficial habit–where the benefits outweigh the costs. A negative addiction is a detrimental habit—where the benefits are not worth the negative financial, physical, spiritual and mental costs. A neutral addiction is a habit in which it is not clear if the organism (or species) benefits from the activity

7. greg says:

eating late at night, but that only happens when I vaporize too much herb :-0

8. Michael T. says:

Good interview. Nice that Paul seemed calmer this time and spoke more slowly and clearly.

I love to eat some raw cacao just about every day, not too much, just an ounce. Is it an addiction? Or, just a pleasant habit? Well, I like the way it feels in my body, kind of wakes me up and gets me moving.

And I like sweet foods, mainly fruit, sometimes honey.

I believe that life is for enjoying to the fullest, so I don’t want to eliminate everything that might be called an addiction. I would rather live a shorter but happier life, than a long, dull life that has very little pleasure.

I mean, how much pleasure do you get chomping your way through pounds and pounds of greens?

Let’s hear it for chocolate every now and then!

Michael T.

9. Kat says:

Eating late at night (I’m a night owl)! Makes me feel horrible, but I still do it.

10. Jill says:

Eating late at night.

11. Lysanne says:

I am addicted to sugar…I don’t really enjoy sweets, but crave them like crazy!

12. Linda Miller says:

After reading Tonya Zavasta’s book Quantum Eating, I now only eat 2x a day with some juices or water in evenings. I now eat or drink nothing after 6p.m. It’s great.

But I still have an addiction to vegan cooked food. My goal is to get to 90-95% raw.

13. Margaret says:

Great info. My biggest addiction is cooked food.

14. Joan says:

I do really well for a period of time and then I just have to have some chocolate! Or ice cream – my 2 cheats, oh my…have found some recipes for Cacao and fruit ice cream that I need to try instead – or better just live a more fulfilling life so I don’t have or need any addictions!

15. Muriel says:

Raw cacao ground up with some almonds every morning spread over my oatmeal or just added to my smoothie.
    I thrive on half raw, half cooked, eat 3 moderate meals a day and never after 8:00 p.m.
    Also add small amounts of organic pasture fed beef or free range organic chicken to my dinner.
    What a joy to eat and live this way, there is no one way, i believe we have to find our own healthy and happy living, also faith in my Lord Jesus Christ leads the way. Amen

16. Jon says:

Peanut butter! I have been trying my hand at sprouted organic peanut butter. It tastes pretty good, but I probably shouldn’t eat it every single day! Interesting interview.

17. crow says:

No doubt about it chocolate.

18. ALBERTA says:

CA PROFILE SOUNDS JUST LIKE DR. CARY RHEMES SALIVA/URINE TEST BACK IN THE 60’S. COULD TELL WHAT DISEASES PEOPLE WHERE PRONE TO.

19. Maggie says:

SUGAR!!! Darn, I’d like to kick that habit… but it’s been with me for a long, long time :+)

20. Mark says:

PIZZA! Soooo bad!

21. Mark says:

PIZZA! Soooo bad!

~Mark

22. Ryan says:

This show.

23. Kristen says:

Coffee! I love love love coffee. I don’t know if it’s the routine or the caffeine that’s making it so hard to kick the habit. Someone tell me what’s so bad about coffee :).

24. Susan Bessette says:

Since no man can see his own faults, i asked my husband what I am addicted to. He said,
    nightly news and food videos.

25. RJ says:

My addictions change so that I may keep my life interesting. Recently dumped the coffee addiction after reading this http://www.pnf.org/CoffeeEdited041001.pdf

26. Lorien says:

Coffee, I only allow myself one cup in the morning but I just adore the stuff. Next is a good book in a hot bath. Gotta have one every day; at least 30 minutes.

27. Koa says:

Kevin! I wish you had posted the links of the stuff he mentioned such as the Dr. who does the testing and Dr. Shandelle(?).

28. RJ says:

Hello Kevin, I agree with Koa…please post the links that were mentioned in this great interview and all your future ones. Also, your last show had the JuiceMan on and he was going to share with us how he stored his juice. He forgot. That devilish little tease! PLEASE tell us JuiceDaddy’s secret!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

29. Ed says:

Beer,beer,beer.beer,beer,and beer.

30. RJ says:

OOPS…Just went to check yesterday’s posts to find if anyone posted how Jay store juice. Found this…
    8:23 pm on March 18th, 2010
    How to store juices:
    From the Juicedaddy downloadable manual.
    Q. After we juice, can we store our juices?
    A. As I said in the last answer, it’s imperative you drink your juices
    immediately, however there is one safe way you can do it. If you
    want to bring juice to work with you, or must store your juice after
    juicing, try this: moisten the inside of a stainless steel thermos with
    water and put it in the freezer overnight. Before going to work, make
    your juice and put it directly into the cold thermos. Make sure you
    don’t fill it too high, as with freezing it may expand. Your fresh juice will
    be fresh for up to eight hours this way.
    FILL THE THERMOS TO THE TOP AS AIR OXIDIZES THE JUICE.

31. Nicole says:

My food addictions change periodically, and I realize I’m less addicted to a certain food than to the idea of food as fun-time, escape, reward—basically the best thing in life. Eating at night was easier to reduce than I expected, but I still do it once a week or so.

32. Jim says:

Great stuff, brought my awareness up about the importance of blood testing. I can see that we all are struggling with things, in varying manners and levels, that is somewhat refreshing from those that do not even participate in seeking this info. and work it. My experience is that real nutrition can create a change and we can continue to discover, thank goodness for the internet and rapidness of the exchange of information.

33. john says:

Thankyou Kevin for interviewing Paul Nison of whom I have never heard of but he gave a lot of excellent contacts and information on knowing ones inner terrain ,as God’s Holy word says in the Bible it says the” life is IN the blood”.Would like to have Paul on again sometime he strikes me as a sincre honest and truthful well meaning humane being . Thank you Kevin.- PS. Would like to know and see this man who looks like 60 but is 108years.Well have a blessed week end and trust in Jesus .God bless.

34. Amy says:

#7 – omg you made me LAUGH! Thank You!

#9 – omg a very wise and over looked saying!

#24 – omg thank you for being so honest, me too!!

you all rock and I look forward to this every day.

35. Elaine says:

I’m with Michael T. A little cacao every day in some form,usually in an almond banana smoothie.

36. Philip says:

There’s an interesting post over at the Health Journal Club that makes the case that people should just not eat anything that wasn’t a food 100 years ago. Gets rid of the aspartame, bleached GM flour, high fructose corn syrup garbage they try to pass off as food these days. If interested you can read on it here,

37. esther says:

Crackers are my biggest addiction. Anything with yeast in it kills me. I don’t have a dehydrator, so I don’t have a substitute cracker yet. Although, I forgot Matza has no yeast! That was my favorite cracker from childhood! I hope that’s a good compromise.

38. Brynda says:

Before I read anyone’s answer, I was going to say a good addiction: hot bath with good book like Lorien! After reading, I have to say it’s late night eating, chocolate, cooked vegan food, muffins, most all of the same things. Mostly I keep them under control but desires for these things creep in between green smoothies!
    But I’ve always avoided coffee after I saw my dad be controlled by his addiction.

39. Kuru says:

Koa and RJ, here are the links from today’s show; they were right there on the interview. http://CAProfile.net/aboutDoctor-

I’m addicted to almond butter. I make it in the Vitamix. I eat it on crackers with chaiwanprash, with apples by the bite, and with cacao, blended into a fabulous chocolate drink or mousse. Sometimes I eat it after 6 p.m. 🙁

Kevin, what do you know and think about live cell blood analysis? I would love to see a show on this.

40. Kym Hutcheon says:

Wow, that beard rocks!

Addictions? In the widest sense, I’d have to say stimulation. I find it hard to be still, which seems to be the root of the workaholism, excess coffee, lack of sleep, etc., etc.

41. soul food says:

sleep…. i just cant get enough of it, some-days i forget to eat, especially my days off of work- because the bed cries out to me to come lay and sleep ZZzzz…

42. Geri says:

I have a food addiction, no joke. Its horrible! What is the Daylight Diet?

43. Kym Hutcheon says:

I finally managed to find info about Dr. Schandl on Paul Nison’s site (was a challenge): http://paulnison.com/?s=blood&searchButton=Search

The interviews are extremely interesting and after googling Dr. Schandl, he has an extremely impressive resume.

44. jak jak says:

MOVIES……I love movies so much, not so bad you think, but I EAT watching movies, totally silly, I can hear my inner dialogue asking “why am I doing this you don’t need it”

45. Stephanie says:

I’m addicted to gum and a cooked dinner. Also, to Soul Food, comment #41, have you ever gotten checked for Anemia? …just a thought.

46. Misty says:

I’ve been vegan for 19 months, have to say cooked food. Today
    is my 6 day on 80 10 10, feel great

47. KJ says:

Peanuts, nut butters, and sugar (well, fruit since I went raw)!

I am currently on a 21 day sugar detox and feel wonderful! So, I’m going to try to anchor all of this steady, uninterrupted energy and lack of CRAVINGS to the lack of sugar and carry it ahead with me at the end of the cleanse!

48. Larry says:

Someone asked for Dr Schandl’s website…

49. Karen says:

I’m addicted to celery, dipped in tahini and topped with half a grape. So yummy! Healthy in moderation, but it’s so moreish that I can’t stop! Before I know it I’ve gone through a whole head of celery, 3/4 jar of Tahini and umpteen grapes!

50. Heather says:

I occassionaly spend too time on the internet/computer than I should. I also buy and check out more books from the library than I can ever take the time to read. So, this leads me to think I’m addicted to knowing more than my time & space can healthily comprehend simultaneously. My eyes are sometimes bigger than my stomache and deeper than my pocketbook.

51. Heather says:

PS

Shabbat Shalom!

52. Suni says:

Bad things I’m addicted to, meaning if they’re in front of me I’ll eat them no matter how full I am until it’s all gone:
    1) dark chocolate, especially with hazelnuts
    2) any kind of tortilla chips with salsa or hummus
    Good things I’m addicted to:
    1) learning tidbits about being green and healthy, that I can implement in baby steps.
    2) green smoothies!

I’ve also succeeded in getting my husband, preschooler, and baby to eat their greens by making them delicious green smoothies every day. Find out how to make healthy eating taste yummy at The Home of The Green Smoothie Queen http://www.greensmoothiequeen.com/gogreen/0310ripplemaker and be the green ripple maker in your family!

53. Sheryl says:

Time to Wake UP!!! The Ascended Masters tell us to avoid the Medical Channels as much as possible – and absolutely no blood testing – xrays – Our Blood is liquid Light and our Life and should not be messed with. Plus we are co-creators with God and whatever human suggestions the outself accepts from a doctor will instantly manifest in our minds or bodies. We are Masters of our worlds and what is to manifest in our physical bodies. It Is Done Unto You As You Believe !!!!a GREAT STATEMENT TO REMEMBER. Remember nothing can manifest in your body unless you accept it in thru your attention and belief. Withdraw all Power from the outself and give it back to God. You want perfect Health you have to believe it and feel it and it will manifest within you. Because thinking this way you will be directed by your God Presence as is what right for your body to keep it running perfectly. STOP ACCEPTING THE LIES AND DECEIT OF THE MEDICAL WORLD – AND THE LIES AND DECEIT OF THE RAW FOOD WORLD WHO ARE TRYING TO SELL US SUPPLEMENTS WHEN WE DON’T NEED THEM. ENERGY COMES FROM GOD NOT THE FOOD WE EAT.

54. Chris & Sara says:

Chris has a MAJOR “Saraoin” addiction! LOL>

And Im addicted to Christal Smeth!!!! Ha ha! We are each others biggest addiction next to coffee and sugar….

Working on the sugar part trying to ween it down.

Coffeee…… soooooon…?? …….. not quite ready for a weeks worth of headaches….

C&S

55. Deena says:

I am addicted to sugar and shopping.

56. Charlie says:

Avocadoes. peanut butter and chocolate together…so good.

57. Alex says:

Great Info. Will be good to know exactly what kind of blood test has to be done and how often ?????????
    What is day light diet ?

58. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev,

Thanks for having Paul on the show! He is a wealth of information, and very trustworthy. I am not sure that I have any addictions right now. I suppose my homemade spelt bread would come close. If I don’t make it I’m fine, I don’t have to have it.

When I bake it though, I love to eat it. I even love to inhale it. I don’t eat any other bread though for the most part, and I don’t consume it everyday. I don’t have a dehydrator, otherwise I would make sprouted essene bread. Eze 4:9 “Also take for yourself wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet, and spelt; put them into one vessel, and make bread of them for yourself.”

It is therefore, scriptural to eat bread. It is overeating it that is the problem, as well as the type of bread we eat. Mat 26:26 “And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke [it], and gave [it] to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”

Bread of course must be eaten in moderation, and is not necessary at every meal, or even everyday, if you can go without it. Luke 4:4
    Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.'”

I bake bread mainly for my sons. My husband would never allow me to have my kids go all raw, and my one son has a wheat sensitivity. So I atleast bake him a healthier bread, and I limit how much is eaten. I’m just doing the best I can do right now 🙂

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

59. NuNativs says:

Well my take, is that it’s hard NOT to be addicted to something in this culture, as “civilization” isn’t exactly offering or manipulating U.S., for the better. Rather, it fosters addictions en masse, then hypocritically proclaims a “War On Drugs”.

Paul also brings up the excellent point about the Raw-Vegan, who says, “I’m eating all the right foods, but…”.

The inherent problem is that, we don’t really know if these foods we are eating ARE the right foods. None of them occur in WILD nature, so are suspect right away. They are artificial creations of human activity, and cannot exist without our pampering hands.

I have been in the alternative health field for 30+ years, and that’s why I believe, as does Paul Nison, that veganism is not a long-term diet solution, rather a cleanse. You cannot be a vegan in wild nature. Study all the Native American culture’s for insights.

I believe long-term, we will go back to wild, and/or, semi-wild, permaculture planted plants, like fruits, nuts, seeds, and wild fish and game like our not-so distant ancestors.

NuNativs

60. Nick says:

geez, you had to ask! Well, of course it all started with sugar. And if there’s any validity to the gateway theory, sugar is it, at least for the great bulk of us. Consider from recalling, for most of us, long past Halloweens. How in gobbling up the haul it’s hand to mouth, hand to mouth & so on and on, and often past the point of feeling sick, let alone satiated. We may’ve stopped eating at those points, but or how long? And not only on Halloween night, but thru any dessert or snack infestivity. I’m talking about when we’re younger. It’s then that the gateway opens, then eventually the candy gives way to what have you. Depending on the milieu you’re in it could be cigarettes, alcohol… Then it can go into pills, like a doctor presribed or over the counter addiction. Or of course into any of the cracks or crystals or smacks.

Tho these are just substance addictions. In the discourse on this, many years ago Ann Wilson Schaef, or however it’s written, wrote When Society Becomes an Addict. She got into another class she called Process Addictions. I believe these are also termed ‘lifestyle addictions’. Included within can be anything from shopping, or ways of eating, drinking, breathing, about sex or sleep, in all forms of communicating…

A newer take on the subject is by Dr. Gabor Mate. His most popular and , i believe, most recent book is In The Realm Of Hungry Ghosts. There’s better short blurbs summarizing his gist than I’m prepared or just now. Good luck to us all in ‘kicking’

61. AnnBoBlueberry says:

Sugar, sugar, sugar!

62. Jackie says:

Yup…sweets. Honey (raw), chocolate, fruits, wherever I find it.

63. drinking tea ;] like loads!
    mainly green tea sencha, so so yummy..

64. Kali Lilla says:

OMG – Paul stresses me out – he talks so fast & furious – lol.

I’m addicted to the internet. 🙁

65. Sarah says:

Sugar!! Would also love to see or hear your opinion on live blood cell analysis. My natural foods market up the street has a practitioner come in to do it once a month… haven’t done it yet, but have been thinking about it.

66. hyesun says:

nuts, especially cashews, sugar, internet, gum…….

love paul nison!! he and kevin are my favorite health people because they are both so non dogmatic, and are about HEALTH and what’s best for the individual. they are not into dogma like many other raw vegans, who say that their way is the only way for everyone. thanks!!

67. Heather says:

Internet 🙂 especially health research…
    And coffee, avocados, tea sweetened with honey, and chocolate with nuts or mint (dark especially!!! but sometimes I have a weakness for white chocolate)

dang, now I’m hungry!!!

68. Kathy says:

Sugar – in any form. I am trying to break the addiction by replacing with Green Smoothies. (Ok there is still sugar – but natural.) To get kicked started check out

A few new ideas in addition to the great ones from Kevin and Annmarie

69. Rhonda D says:

Sweets not really sugar but sweets I have finally kick the coffee habit. Daylight way of eating sounds interesting.

Great interview with Paul.

to everyone’s Health.

70. Kaye says:

I’m addicted to researching everything to death, information overload. I have to ban myself from the computer, to keep some control. I have a million questions I want answered, so I read and research everything!!! I am afraid to rely on myself and my own instincts.

71. Bill Murphy says:

I am addicted to smoothies. I hate going a day without one. Not a bad addiction to have I guess! 🙂

I am also addicted to my computer! LOL

Paul is an interesting guy. I am looking forward to meeting him when he comes down to Australia next month.

72. Stephanie says:

My biggest addiction is SUGAR! I love sweet stuff. I eat too much fruit… 5-6 servings a day. I also ENJOY dried fruit and too much of it. I tend to find myself snacking on both items late at night, which doesn’t help the cause … suggestions on how to turn my taste buds toward more veggies without feeling deprived?? LOVE what you do Kevin!!!!

73. Ray Deckert says:

Sorry to say but my addiction is eating potato chips but I will break it. thanks!

74. Scott says:

Love the Daylight diet….Can’t believe how much better I sleep!

75. Marla king says:

I am addicted to Sabbath (7th day). It helps me all week to have a rest to look forward to and I get more efficient in the week. Being able to acknowledge the Creator who provides life for me is a mental, emotional, and spiritual health provision because it allows me to express gratitude. Where love is expressed, love deepens and vise versa. Just like Genesis tells us what to eat, it also tells us how to rest! both should be addictive (okay, habits!)

76. Gjermund Lia says:

And/or hairsample. Shows a “longer” picture.
    Hair mineral analyse

77. Gwen says:

My two biggest addictions are probably two of the worst and they are Cappuccinos and late night eating. I am also addicted to dulse as I order 5 lbs at a time and never let myself run out. As well, I am addicted to weight training and cardio workouts. My passion is running but back trouble has put an end to that which maybe why my other additions have become so much worse and the desire to change so lacking.

78. sherry says: