Raw Food Recipe for Cabbage Coleslaw – The Renegade Health Show Episode #527

Wednesday Mar 17, 2010 | BY |

It’s St. Patrick’s Day here in the US, so we decided to do a raw food recipe that “kind of” works with the holiday…

No corned beef or cooked cabbage, just a nice raw recipe for cabbage coleslaw.

We used the most amazing avocados from Glen Ivy Farm!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite thing that is green?

Hey all, the Customer Appreciation Sale is still going on… 10% off everything! In fact, we’ve extended it, ’cause I’m a bonehead and gave everyone the wrong link.

Here’s the RIGHT one: http://store.renegadehealth.com

Raw Food Recipe for St. Patties Day Green ColeSlaw

One Head of Green Cabbage, shredded

Creamy Green Dressing:

1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp raisins
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp dill
2 tsp celery seed
water to consistency
sea salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste

Blend dressing, then massage dressing over cabbage, or use as a dip with veggies.

(Note from Ann – I shared this in the office today and everyone loved it, brought in carrots as well to juice and Jennifer could not stop dipping the carrots in the dressing!)

1. Craig says:

Arugula Is great!!!!

2. Christie says:

Are all forms of mallow edible?

I don’t think this recipe is going to win over any “SAD” folks, but it looks tasty to me.

Thanks.

3. teresa says:

MMM that looks yummy! My favorite green foods are peppers& cucumbers

4. andrew zubriczky says:

Great show as usual. Loved the recipe. I just made it. It tastes great!

Question: What can one do to ‘eat’ or ‘recycle’ the avocados’ pits?

5. RJ says:

Thanks for the great GREEN recipe!! Here’s an old cartoon that begins in an old IRISH PUB. Happy St Patrick’s Day!

6. RJ says:

…forgot to mention that I did sprout an avacado pit years ago. One can grow a tree with the pit/seed!!! Here is more info on that…

7. money.
    and spirulina

8. patti says:

my parrots!! edible green avocado!

9. Sophia says:

One of my favorite things that is green are the trees!!!

10. xplorexpress says:

I love all greens but mostly…dandelion, arugula, cilantro and avocados hmmmmmm I’m drewling :)

11. i think dandelions is the most amazing green. i feel great everytime i eat them.

about andrew’s question: you can add the avocado pits to your smoothies. i think it also makes them nice and creamy :-)

12. Melissa says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE avocados!!!! I’m so jealous of you two! I am currently in South Korea and the grcocery stores here don’t carry avocados often. :(

13. Carola says:

To make cabbage more digestible, massage with your hands before adding in any dressing. It will be hard at first, but the cabbage softens as it is being squeezed.
    Carola

14. giselle cioraru says:

I love my green smoothies

15. Christine says:

Sprouts. Arugula. Cilantro. Pears. Hm, that could make a lovely salad.

I have a question for all regarding another greeen item: I would love to start integrating sea vegetables (dulse, algae, kelp, etc.) into my diet, but lack clever ideas/recipes. Whole Foods in Petaluma, CA is pretty well stocked with dried products, but they just don´t feel alive to me (and the dulse tasted grainy and fishy). I figured out how to work with kelp noodles (mix them with a nice sauce and put them in the dehydrator until they are warm, this makes them soft and delicious), but am not sure that they have great nutritional value.

Any suggestions for live sea vegetable recipes?

Take care,
    Christine

16. nick says:

avacado and cucumber

17. Maggie says:

My latest green thing that I absolutely love is watercress. The peppery flavor it adds to salads is delicious and it is so good for you. My next favorite green is kale. At this point in time I just can’t get enough of either of these two greens! Thanks for the cabbage recipe. I’ll definitely try it. Annmarie, the Wednesday recipe shows are great! Thank you for always coming up with something so interesting.

18. Marie1225 says:

That looked fantastic!!!! Avocados are my favorite green thing!

19. Alyse says:

Kale and parsley – I seem to never tire of either of them, parsley in all my salads and juices and my fave green smoothie is pineapple/kale – it rocks!

I am ditto-ing the request above. I’d like to incorporate sea vegetables into my diet but can’t stand the fishy taste, so I avoid them entirely. Any recipes or ideas (or even substitutions if we don’t really need them) would be appreciated.

Great show and awesome, delicious recipe.

20. MARI says:

Andrew, In regards to an avocado pit, place a whole one into a smoothie or 1/2 if smaller person and blend up. Suppose to lower ones cholesterol over 1 month period. Check with Rene Oswald for exact details.
    One of my favorite green things is Sunflower sprouts & wheat grass, such a beautiful green!!
    Thanks for the cabbage slaw, will try it.

21. Amy says:

Organic kale from the farmers’ market! YUM!

For a sea vegetable recipe, check out episode #297:

22. I second the vote for cucumber arame salad — my kids LOVE this recipe!

My favorite green is nettles, fresh in a smoothie or lightly sauteed with loads of garlic to remove the sting.

My favorite green smoothie is pineapple banana spinach, tho the apple pie smoothie (at crunchybits.net) is a close second. And the carrot cake smoothie would be my favorite for a halloween smoothie!

Love the show, must get my hands on some spirulina crunchies to try them.

23. cathy says:

I was laughing so hard at your skin so soft comment.

love you guys!

24. Nick says:

Biomass, the totality of all plant life is my favorite thing that is green. Whether you think it’s a smart ass or a dumbass comment consider why the rapid wiping out, diminishment of all greenery on Earth has not been considered a factor in ozone (layer) loss. After all, isn’t the ozone layer formed by the abundance of oxygen in the atmosphere, not by its mere existence? Then consider why might’ve Al Gore relegated “plant trees” to a flash of an addendum to “An Inconvenient Truth”? Then why did it take an African woman, albeit a Nobel peace laureate, to start a billion tree campaign as an answer to global warming/warning, to ameliorate the effect & speed of climate change? Her name is Wangari Maathai. Why haven’t North American environmental groups spread the news of this, let alone commenced work on meeting the goal of the campaign? Is any .org for real in North America, at least those of institution size? Also, why is algae only touted as a biofuel, then less so for the EFA profile of its lipids, and scarcely if at all that it is the fastest growing plant, so is quickest at both, consuming CO2 & at generating oxygen? Yet algae grows best on deserts & scrub land, so does not displace food crops, like the other biofuel candidates agribiz has made best known, is pushing upon us.

25. Satori says:

I love your website. It’s green!

26. My very favourite green thing (at the moment) is green lentils sprouted. I bought myself two bars of yummy raw chocolate to have as a treat and i can’t believe they’re both still sitting there as I prefer to nibble on lentil sprouts. This from a confirmed chocaholic :-)

27. tammie says:

my favourite thing that is grren at the mo are strawberry leaves as i didnt realise they were edible and good for you too !!!avocados are gorgeous but cost sooo much money ..organic ones are £1.30 ish and never seem to go down in price here in england you have to be very well off to eat all organic …and no i dont have a sky or cable bill either lol

28. Jill says:

Money, apples, grass , I don’t know what else.

29. Rose Goddess says:

My favorite thing that is green is my jade necklace:) I love going outside and seeing all the beautiful shades of green from plants, grass, and trees too:)

30. Dee says:

Spring, when the trees start to leaf out, that bright spring green color and bulbs push up out of the ground.

And thank you Rose Goddess for reminding me that I like green stones; emerald, malachite, green jasper, peridot.

31. Karen says:

I LOVE avocados too – and cabbage. Never liked either one when I was a kid though. If you can’t get good avocados in the Northeast, you should definitely settle down somewhere else. Thanks for this yummy recipe!

32. Beth says:

Great show.
    Hard to pick just one green that is my favourite. My favourites include cilantro, arugula, avocado, and cucumber.

33. zyxomma says:

I have no “favorite” green; I love them all! But, if I really had to choose my favorite green thing, I’d have to answer: The Heart Chakra!!

I think there’s some confusion on this blog about live food prep. The best way to get those crunchy greens more like cooked is to cut them up, salt them, and massage them WELL. This will turn a soft green (like baby spinach or arugula) into a fake-cooked green in just a few minutes (unless you’re preparing a really large amount). For “harder” greens, like crucifers (cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens), it will take longer. Either way, it’s worth the effort if you miss the texture of cooked greens.

This is also how you prepare paper-thin slices of turnip (winter) or squash (summer) into Rawvioli pasta, to fill with your favorite nut or seed cheeze. I have Brazil nut/Maitake cheeze in the fridge, just have to slice, salt, and massage the turnip. The sauce (pesto, though basil’s not in season) is ready, too. The spinach I massaged an hour ago is getting a very simple garlic & olive oil dressing.

Health and peace!

34. Gen says:

IRELAND … plus all green foods and the great green outdoors.

35. marshall says:

will you be coming any farther north? arcata/eueka area is beautiful!!

36. Joan says:

My current green favorites are my freshly sprouted mung beans and avocadoes! Thanks for another great recipe!

37. Tony says:

I love salads,great recipe !
    I also have a vitamix,(my gift to myself),for my health.
    But,my question is,if there are a lot of nutrients,in the skins of fruits and vegetables,(which there are), then why not throw in the skin of the avocado as well ?
    The machine could blend it in,right ?

38. Jenn says:

My favorite things that are green …coming signs of spring. Food wise today would be the local watercress and dandelion greens I have(thank goodness for hydroponic farmer so I can get some greens even in winter in CT)..

The raisins threw me in this, I don’t eat them much anymore plus for this time of year(St. Patty’s) I always think of them combined with caraway seeds in bread. Hmm, the caraway seeds could be could trade for the dill in this salad. Will investigate soon!

39. Linda says:

Hi Kev & Annmarie,

I haven’t posted in quite some time. I do listen in on the calls on Thursdays when I can.

LIFE is GREEN to me.

My kitchen was painted a “kelly green” which was my mother’s favorite color. So in honor of her I painted it green.

My favorite veggies are: Kale, spinach, avocadoes. I also love raw Nori (very dark green), cilantro and basil. Yummy!

Linda

40. rainbow says:

well, since no one else mentioned it–green grass, including the bud kind… (kind bud :-)
    very grateful for a green and blue world, hoping it gets ever healthier and more abundantly lush.

on a different note, when you folks got the kale whale, you mentioned using bio fuel. has that occurred? if so, how is that working out?

and another question. i am in the process of moving into a small motor home. any tips on how to set up the very small kitchen? i’m figuring it out, but would love any input. thanks for all you both do. peace for ALL!

41. Rosemarie says:

I love my morning green smoothie:
    Spinach, artichokes, kale, grass. trees and just aboiut anything green

42. Jill says:

Kale and Avocados.

43. june says:

I love avocados but find that they aren’t as good in the winter time probably since they come from another country. They are just not as ‘buttery’.

44. I’m crazy for Kale and Spinach.