Is Barley Grass Better Than Wheatgrass – The Renegade Health Show Episode #526

Tuesday Mar 16, 2010 | BY |

Today, Sproutman Steve Meyerowitz explains if there is any difference between barley grass and wheatgrass…

He also talks about moldy sprouts, sprouting in bags, and a popular wheatgrass myth.

Your question of the day: Wheatgrass or sprouts?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Customer Appreciation Days! 10% Off Everything in the Store until Thursday at 11:59 PM PST. To get your discount, all you have to do is put the code: love in the coupon code field when you’re checking out of the store!

Click here to get 10% off all purchases now!

1. Joan says:

I definitely prefer sprouts and I have no problem with mold in my jars…I also occasionally use barley grass powder (hacres.com) in my green smoothies if run out of fresh greens and can’t get to the market. I can’t seem to “acquire” a taste for wheat grass – it makes me feel nauseated! But then cats eat grass when they want to throw up LOL!!!

2. Ineke says:

What I like better? Sprouts especially sunflower sprouts and pea sprouts. However, with the sprouts I do not always get good crops. Although I grow consistently my own, wheat grass will never be something I really enjoy drinking. Good show with good sound advice!!

3. Karen says:

I use powdered wheatgrass.

4. Judith says:

Sprouts

5. Chuck says:

We consumer both wheatgrass and sprouts. I like to rotate various sprouts and wheatgrass for juicing. It is all good.

6. Barbara says:

I love both. I have a “shot” of wheatgrass every morning. Most people don’t harvest wheatgrass properly and that’s why they don’t like it. If you cut it at 7 to 9 days growth and store it in the refrigerator, when you juice it it’s actually quite sweet. If you wait longer to cut it then it becomes bitter. I also love sprouts for a salad. Never had a problem growing them in very large glass jars, but I do prefer growing most sprouts in soil (such as sunflower sprouts). Thanks Kevin for the good interview!!

7. Geri says:

wheatgrass

8. Sprouts win hand over fist! The minute I ingest wheatgrass juice, I get the chills, even though I juice it for clients. When I juice for others, I also take some. (yucch)

9. John says:

lentil sprouts are my obsession. i have a whole closet full of perforated cups with millions of lentils sprouting in them. wheat grass, as beneficial as it may be, seems like a tremendous pain in the butt. you need special trays, and a juicer. could i just throw the grass in a smoothie by any change?

10. Sharon says:

For me a shot of wheatgrass is like drinking a gallon of coffee. A very unpleasant experience! I like barley grass powder though and I also use a superfood with broccoli sprout powder. I tend to switch these things around and not use one thing every day. I like to eat sprouts but haven’t yet attempted to grow my own.

11. Stephanie says:

So far, sprouts. The only sprouts I have had great success with to date are lentils. Love them! Plan to learn to sprout more, though. Do enjoy eating sunflower and alfalfa sprouts grown by others. Thanks for the segment!

12. Steve says:

Wheatgrass juice makes me feel nauseous for hours after drinking it, so I drink barleygrass juice as well. It’s very bitter, but I don’t get any nausea at all. Much prefer to sprouts.

13. Craig says:

I like Sprouts the best.But Wheatgrass is Nice too. I grow Wheat Grass in a sunny window indoors,it works great. The trick i learned is to stop watering it when its about 1 inch tall then i do not get mold. Growing the wheatgrass out doors in the summer i still get mold because it gets too much water when it rains.I know that i should watch the weather report closer!!!! I use 2 cups of seeds per Tray .wow it gets thick.

14. Kenwyn says:

what can you do about an overgrowth of yeast in the body?will wheatgrass help for thisand have you heard of threelac to fight yeast?

15. Maggie says:

My preference is sprouts for eating and (hacres.com) Barley Max for drinking. I love Barley Max! I can really tell the difference when I drink it vs. when I don’t. Thanks for the very interesting show.

16. Barbara W. says:

I like both. Looking forward to an update on your sprouting experiment in the RV.

17. Jean says:

Hey it is good to hear other people want to puke when they drink wheatgrass besides me. Always affected me that way and every few years I try again with the same results. Sometimes I can’t even bear the smell of it after it’s juiced. Sprouts win for me plus I use Dr. Hagiwara’s Green Magma which I’ve alwyas loved.

18. john says:

I love wheat grass juice freshly made. I love sprout salads a variety of sprouts,especially lentils,sunflower,bean,broccoli,etc. I at times buy the green powders and snort it up thru both nostrils.Thank you Kevin for having Steve Meyerowitz I have his books and think quite highly of him as the sprout guru. Would like to see more interviews with him.

19. Ryan says:

Are sprouts and wheatgrass optimal for people who have a hard time gaining weight? Ayerveda says no sprouts or wheatgrass for people with this body type. What’s up with that?

20. we are all sprouts says:

wheatgrass or sprouts?

an ancient riddle, indeed!

for wheatgrass is a sprout,

sprouted from a seed.

21. frank says:

I have tried wheat grass before and now I am taking Barleygreen (barley grass) from Dr. Hagiwara which heals my stiff arm, dried eyes and aging eyes.

22. Koa Sky says:

I wish you had shown a close-up of his hat.

23. Peggy says:

Sprouts are great, but I think barley grass is better tasting and has more minterals than wheatgrass. I just lost almost 50 pounds and one of the things I was doing is drinking a lot of barley grass in my smoothies so I did some research and it is an awesome plant. I have some info on barley grass and weight loss and nutrition boosting on peggycarey.com and plan to put up more.

24. Dennis says:

I like adding Barley Green to mixed smoothie. I’ve even taken a couple of tsps of Barley Green dry. Don’t mind the taste. I’m not too crazy about the taste of sprouts, but I have, as of late, been juicing broccoli sprouts and usually add with carrots and spinach. Pretty potent stuff.

25. Jo says:

At the moment,my favorite sprouts are broccoli. Easy to grow and taste great. I drink wheatgrass juice, but I have to mix it with OJ or apple juice….no way can I drink it straight!Steve Myerowitz’s books great.

26. Kathryn says:

I love wheat grass fresh juice. I love the taste,and I love the way it makes me feel. It calms my nerves and cleanses my body, makes me feel fresh and alive :. I love sprouts too and the best way they grow for me is in the Sproutmans bags that he sells no mold!! Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie. Blessings to you :)

27. JulieD says:

I haven’t tried wheat grass yet, so I will go with sprout!!

28. JulieD says:

Been wondering…what kind of juicer makes the wheat grass juice??

29. Hi Kevin

Thanks for the interview with Sproutman. That is interesting about sprouting in the bag. Maybe you can do an experiment and grow in jars and in bags and see which one is better.

I like sprouts more than wheatgrass.

Namaste
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

30. Christie says:

Sprouts! I have never had a mold problem with the jar method… on the contrary, I was warned not to use the bag method because of mold issues… who knows? Wheatgrass tends to upset my stomach but I keep trying! Anyone know why wheatgrass tends to be unsettling for so many people? Is it a wheat intolerance?

31. Catherine says:

I like both sprouts and juice. I can’t drink wheatgrass juice straight though – it spikes my blood sugar. I add an ounce or two to juiced kale, chard, carrot and ginger (or whatever else I have on hand). The Green Star works great for this.

32. Sprouts for sure! I have celiac disease, and even though wheatgrass is supposed to be gluten free, fresh juiced wheatgrass still makes me throw up within 15 minutes of consuming it. Maybe it is all in my mind, but I try to avoid it. Powdered wheatgrass doesn’t affect me this way, so I do fine with green foods. I really don’t know what the difference is – maybe it is the mold issue, but I just don’t know.

33. Lee says:

I love both sprouts & Wheat Grass. I grow sprouts in both glass jars and nut milk bags.
    I use Amazing Grass’s Organic dehydrated Wheat Grass available at most Health Stores.
    I have tried many other companies powders but have found Amazing Grass to be the best out there.

34. Connie says:

Well, after all these comments about vomitting I am NOT going to try wheatgrass. Now what am I going to do with those wheatberries in my fridge??? I sprout a variety of things in my EasySprout. It is soooo much better and easier than jars! I do have failures though, like today–I had to dump out the canola sprouts because they appeared to be rotting. Even if they weren’t, they looked so unappetizing (cloudy water) that I knew I wouldn’t eat them even if I did let them continue growing. Oh, well, at least they will make good compost…

35. Jessica says:

Have had both.I practically lived on wheatgrass for a summer…NEVER got used to the taste I must say. Sprouts are definitely tastier…
    Does anyone know if wheatgrass is a problem for people who have Candida or Celiac’s disease…
    Jessica

36. Pat Zahn says:

Not “professional” like some of the posters…I don’t sprout, maybe someday…I do powdered green juices and have really loved Barley Green…I don’t really like sweet additives like stevia and don’t mind the “fresh” grass taste. I have to say that the only time I’ve ever had Wheat grass was at Jamba Juice and it tasted sweet to me – do they add some sort of sweetener?!

37. George says:

I’ve been growing wheat grass about a year. By growing and rotating six trays of grass growth, I have a tray of grass available every day.

Have been successful in sprouting seeds in jars with screw on drain caps – sunflower seeds and mung beans. Rinsing seeds at least a day is essential.

38. Cindy says:

I don’t mind Wheatgrass and do like sprouts. Barley fresh is a little harsh for me. What I have found with Wheatgrass is when I grow my own it is so much sweeter than when I get it at, like, Jamba Juice or Health Food Store. And mixing it in my smoothies I dont notice it at all.

39. Patricia says:

after reading all the post about how some people just can’t seem to tolerate the wheat grass, made me feel like least I am not the only one. I have a gluten intolerance and even though I have been told that there is no gluten in the grass part. I still think that there is something in there that is not good for people like me. Besides the sprouts of anything are packed with nutrients. Also you can buy sprouts already sprouted in the veggie section, for those of us who don’t have the patients or the green thumb to do it ourselves.

40. Elaine says:

I tried sprouting all the different seeds, broccoli, alfalfa, lentils, etc. but don’t like any of them. I’m sure I’m not going to try wheatgrass now either! Sounds like our stomachs weren’t made for it.

41. Connie says:

So happy to read over these comments. I started a raw/vegan detox 30 days ago and was supposed to incorporate “wheatgrass” into my detox daily. Well, let me just say, yesterday was my first attempt at drinking a wheatgrass smoothie. I didn’t mind the taste so much but the drink itself literally tore me up. I couldn’t leave the house for 3-4 hours and then when I ate later in the day, that same nauseating feeling returned. It was actually painful. I think that’s why animals eat it when they are sick so they will vomit. No more wheatgrass for me…I’ll stick to the powdered form :)

42. Kay Rice says:

I am intolerant to wheat and Barley. So, do I have to avoid the Wheat and Barley grass? I find that many of the green drinks have these in them and I would like to use a green drink, however, I am wary of these beacause they often are included. Any information or comments?

43. Don’t like the taste of wheatgrass, but it doesn’t make make sick at all.I drink it as often as possible anyway. Love my homemade sprouts and they taste so much better than those from the store!

44. Rhonda D says:

I use wheat grass, it’s great for healing. I have even used it on my cats. and have to grow a tray for them otherwise they consume mine. I have never tried sprouts but I plan on growing some this month.

Great interviews.

45. Sprouts – if I had an wheat-grass juicer I would do wheat-grass everyday! I think it is sweet and nice. Thanks for the great show…..

46. Lorien says:

Wheatgrass is the worst tasting stuff on earth so far! I have gotten so I enjoy sprouts and have had no problem growing mine in jars. I use the same dish rack Kevin showed in his sprouting video and it works great at keeping them drained. I start a new jar every day and have six going at a time. Put them in my salads.

47. jackie says:

sprouts…use a sprout jar and have never had a problem with mold.

48. Sprouts for sure! Sprouting mung and clover right now. :)

49. Sue says:

Sprouts!!! I love the variety and energy from them. I use the jar method and have not had a problem. I LOVE my homegrown sprouts! Lentil sprouts are one of my favorite!

50. Heather says:

Sproutz.

51. dragontea says:

love sprouts-tho never had barley-it is hard to find. Is it okay to cut grass right into your smoothy?

52. Becky says:

Does any one know about leiden factor V, its a blood disorder, your blood is thick, and could clot. My son has it and the Dr. told him to stay away from foods that have Vitamin K in them, like green leaf veggies. The Dr. has him on cumidian for rest of his life.Please if any one out there knows of this, please inform me.I my self is a carrier of this disorder. Maybe someone out there can refer us to someone, We both like greens.

53. Christine says:

I prefer sprouts. I’ve never tried wheat grass. If chlorophyll is the main element in wheat grass, can one use spinach or any other leafy green vegetables? They are green and also contain a great amount of chlorophyll.
    Great show as always. Thanks Kevin & Rosemarie!

54. Hey Kevin: I just watched your interview with Steve the sprout man and you asked him a question of how to prevent mold on wheat grass. I watched a similar interview that Matt Monarch did out at the Tree of Life and they said that they soak the wheat berries in a 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide solution. Hope this helps. Have a great day you guys!

Chuck Premoe
    capremoe@yahoo.com

55. About the mold issue. Matt Monarch did a similar interview with the staff out at the Tree of Life and they said that they soak their seeds prior to sprouting in a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. Hope this helps. Have a great day you guys!

Charles Premoe

56. Susie says:

I prefer wheatgrass. I find sprouts very difficult to digest, but wheatgrass feels great!

57. Dr. Flora says:

Sorry to hear so many people have been taught the wrong way to use wheatgrass juice and are using grass that is too old and bitter. When Dr. Wigmore’s doctors in Boston tested the grass in their labs, the grass that is 7 days old was very sweet. If a person has parasites, bacteria and viruses in their GI tract, it will make you throw up, definitely. It’s supposed to. It you’re not upchucking, it’s not working. :) The optimum way to take it is to chew every mouthful at least 2 minutes before you swllow it. That way, everything is broken down for easy assimilation. The protein is broken down into amino acids, the starch, into simple sugar and the fat, into essential fatty acids. Cutting it on the 7th day is the trick, because on that day, something very special happens – the electical force switches from positive ionization (which makes you feel like you are under a fluorescent tube all day or in a ‘sick’ office) to negative ionization (which makes you feel like you’re in a rain, or at the beach, fresh and alert). I don’t like the grass that is being grown with animal manure because the pathogens have not been killed all the way for most of those that I’ve tried and it’s dangerous. It’s so easy to grow your own. Take a teaspoon of kelp and sprinkle it on the dirt and mix it in well and it won’t mold. The peroxide works too, but it not as good as the kelp. When we began to grow wheatgrass, buckwheat and sunflower trayed greens in Puerto Rico at the Ann Wigmore Institute there, we had to move the nursery around until we got the temperature just right, because they need around 72 F. My email address is drflora3rd@netzero.net if you want to know private things to do with wheatgrass juice. I have it growing and I just cut some off and chew it and spit the pulp out. It should not be put into smoothies ever.

58. Dr. Flora says:

Another thing, Dr. Harvey Lisle, famous food scientist who did the breakdown on all of the foods for the U.S. govt. who lives in Conn., has done extensive research on wheat. No one with candida should have a problem with it. It’s contaminated seed that is a problem, and that people are not rinsing it enough when they sprout or make rejuvelac from it.
    He starts his seeds in a ceramic bowl with an insulated cord cut off from a lamp: rubber covered 6 ply copper wires underneath the bowl plugged into a 3 prong circuit. He puts his seeds into the bowl under which is the wire plugged in, adds water, and the seeds, and then proceeds to sprout the seeds/nuts/pulses, etc. He says his research shows that if the seeds are not ‘grounded’ in this way when they are started (or naturally grounded by starting them in the ground and watering them), they never have the female electrical energy. He sent me a cord, and literally, it was just an old cord cut off from a floor lamp! I put it under my ceramic bowl, add my seeds/nuts/pulses and water and soak them overnight. Unplug and then continue. Dr. Lisle lives on just one loaf of home made Essene bread a day, with fruits in season, dulse and seed/nut cheeses, etc.

59. Mrs. Smith says:

I have recently started growing wheatgrass but using a different method. I do not use dirt. I use a organic paper towel in tray and the sprouted wheat on top of the towel. Then instead of just the water I use 35% Food Grade Hydrogenperoxide and food grade sea salt. One tablespoon of peroxide and one tablespoon of the sea salt in a gallon of ionized water. This mixture is used after wheat has sprouted and each day instead of regular water. Has anyone ever heard of this method. The person I got these instructions from has been using this method for 10 year and he feels great. The nutrients come from the sea salt and the peroxide instead of the soil. What are your thoughts on this method?