Should You Eat Dehydrated Foods – The Renegade Health Show Episode #521

Tuesday Mar 9, 2010 | BY |

Yesterday, we tackled fasting…

Today, Aris Latham speaks on whether you should dehydrate your foods or not.

In this interview, he also addresses eating locally and his concept of fresh foods and sunfired foods.

Check it out…

Your question of the day: Do you eat dehydrated foods?

Please be sure to check out Aris’ website here: http://www.sunfired.com

1. Before I even watch this episode, I’m going to say I just bought an Excalibur dehydrator a few weeks ago, am loving it, and hope the answer is that I can [safely] continue to use the dehydrator to dry my food (below 115° F only.)

Although I’m vegan, I do plenty of things the Renegade Health Show frowns on, so it’s likely I’ll continue to dehydrate my food.

2. Tara Burner says:

I eat minimal dehydrated foods
    mostly fresh fruits, granola, etc.
    honestly can’t remember last dehydrated food I had…probably a ‘snack’ lol

3. Sue says:

I haven’t dehydrated foods yet – I have thought about it though. It will be interesting to hear others thoughts on this. Why is dehydration seen as better than freezing in the raw community? (obviously if you’re blanching veg before freezing, that’s cooking; but what about freezing fruit that isn’t blanched?)

4. Enjoyed this interview. Thanks for sharing.

5. I forgot I do own a dehydrator and only use it a few times a year. Dehydrated foods make me feel sluggish. So I tend to stay away from them.

6. thubten says:

I use my Excalibur dehydrator often, especially to make my raw onion bread and flax crackers (see recipes on my blog).

I can’t scoop anything with a handful of flax seeds or spread pesto on an onion slice to make a sandwich.

I think that as with all that we’re doing here, it’s not about eating 100% perfectly all the time. It’s about eating well.

Eating as many “truly raw” foods or “sun fired” foods is great! I agree, and most of us don’t live in a coconut grove or a berry plantation.

Bon apetit!

Thubten

7. Craig says:

Hi Kevin
    I have been eating Raw for 7 years now.Dehydrated food many times hurts my stomach. i go to nice raw restaraunt in chicago but learned to limit the dehydrated Food. he is so right about the Sun and food. In the North I even put my sprouts that i grow in the sun just to get them turning green with chlorypyll. He said coconut water has the most life in the water.Id challenge a study on sprout juice against Coconut water,and it doesnt have the sugar that people with health problems or cancer should stay away from.Sugar is like Fertiliser to Cancer!

8. katarina says:

Well, you know what Kevin? For 2 years I was at about 70% raw food intake (all vegan, but 30% cooked). I was a bit of a ‘purist’ with the raw I was eating however, just fruits and raw veggies.

I went 100% on Feb 1 (hurray!) .. and to try to compensate for no more cooked meals, I began making more elaborate recipes from raw nuts/seeds and dehydrating – and turns out I was eating LESS ‘purist’ raw foods in the long run. After about only 2 weeks, I began feeling a very definate difference in my energy level – started feeling sluggish and heavy!! soooo… now I am back to more of the purist approach and am saving nut/seed intensive recipes and dehydrated foods for a once a week or so treat!

Thanks for all you do!! cheers!

9. Pamedalah says:

I love the idea of replacing the phrase “raw food” with “fresh food!”

I dehydrate a few things… I enjoy having a variety of textures and “crunch” in my meals.

Fascinating individual! Thanks for another great show!

10. Craig says:

The average American who Grows a garden every year will put the fresh food on the grill Or cook in a big pot?

11. Sophia says:

I learned so much and loved the interview!!!!

12. Sherry says:

No I don’t.I never have. I am in to live food.
    I like the live high I get from live food.

13. nick says:

Yes I do I am not proud of it I am addicted to crunchy textured food like crackers and onoiun bread but I am trying to phase out and hoping the dehydration food is just a transition. I think it would help if I were in a tropical country especially in the winter months!!!
    Aris has a great line about the fact that if we have to cook or manipulatre a food it probably was not intended for us to eat!!!!!

14. Liz says:

Yes, I do use dehydrated foods. Make my own flax crackers, which are fantastic. I use the pulp from my veggie juices in my flax crackers, can’t live without them. I buy sundried olives & tomatos from my local raw food store, and intend to dehydrate my tomatos this fall when they are ripe. Also use some raisins & dried apricots & dates in some recipes.
    Thank-you, that was a great interview. I also like the idea of fresh as opposed to raw.

15. Mike Lowry says:

I certainly dehydrated more when I was transitioning to raw. Now I do it less and agree more 100 percent fresh is better than dehydrated, although once in a while its nice to make kale chips or garam masala gobi in the dehydrator.
    Now im more into superfood smoothies and fresh green as possible salads.

16. john says:

Welcome Jennifer!! very nice to meet you ! I wish you only the very best in all that you do in your life. Yes ,at various times of the year in MODERATION I have dehydrated food or add water to say dry apples. 75 coconuts a week! ,fascinating!!”Liquid electricity ” this is true ,sometime ago Mr.Gianni I believe was in Utah state at some prominent health food store he and one of the store specialist tested out various green powdered foods and the coconut all hooked up with electrical wires to see which would give out the most electrical out put of bright light . The coconut came out on top along with another green powder.BUt to me looked like the coconut had the edge. I tend to agree with Dr. Latham that the coconut has the most electrolytes than any thing on the planet.

17. Tyra McMahon says:

Fresh food. I like that name also.

18. Kathleen says:

Eating the occassional dehydrated treat helps me stay raw and healthier over all. I also do not think nuts and seeds are from the devil. They help me stay raw and healthy. I have lost 60 pounds and overcome a host of medical problems enjoying all raw foods including nuts, seeds, and dehydrated foods. Yay raw!

19. Chuck says:

We dehydrate nuts, the cereal we make out of sprouted buckwheat and pizza crusts made out of sprouted seeds. It is all about the enzymes.

20. Why would you judge me if a eat some dehydrated foods? what’s wrong about that? You know, I try not to be dogmatic of what I’m doing, if once a week I like to have some raw granola I’ll have it, by the way is your recipe that I love. So, I think, there’s nothing wrong with having some dehydrated foods some times. I don’t think I like it because it’s crunchy, celery and carrots are crunchy.

21. Shannon Fowler says:

Yes I eat dehydrated foods. :) My favorite is apple slices dunked in some honey water & cinnamon before putting them in the dehydrator. Yummy!!! :D

To help some of the people that commented on it hurting their stomach or feeling sluggish: Try drinking water with any dehydrated foods, if you don’t, the foods will take the water from your system to “rehydrate”. That may be what’s happening to you. HTH!! :)

22. Cherie says:

I have dehydrated flax crackers, they were yummy and I like to dehydrate the almonds I soak.

23. Willemina says:

RIGHT ON KATHLEEN !(comment #15)
    Well-stated and downright practical advice….
    Where would I be without my Flax Crackers ?
    I’d be jones’ing for something much worse…
    And Kathleen….congrats on your awesome health achievements!
    This Aris Latham dude of the tropics reminds me of the iconic Dick Gregory .
    Dick

24. Jackie says:

Here in the far north we have shorter growing seasons. I use dehydrated fruits and veggies to fill in between shopping trips and when some items are not available or too expensive. I want to start growing sprouts so that I have live food available 24/7.

25. Nick says:

Uh, doesn’t it concentrate sugars, catapulting it up the glycemic index? Sorry, haven’t watched the vid yet. Trigger happy…. keys are so much more peaceful, eh

26. Vicki says:

I eat dehydrated fruits pretty frequently as a snack or in my granola. I also take dehydrated foods on long camping/backpacking trips.

27. Kaz says:

I don’t currently have a dehydrator but would like one to make my kids onion bread for their lunch boxes. Otherwise having dehydrated foods occasionally at cafes & potlucks etc do me just fine! Woohoo go fresh food!

28. Joyce Braun says:

I dehydrate as well, but i try to avoid it… something about it just doesnt seem right to me. I know it’s not killing enzymes, but taking out all the water still alters the food. My dehydrator sat unused for quite some time, until i started juicing, and then i was using it to make crackers out of the pulp, but i figure i should just stick it in the compost! (they were gross anyhow lol)

29. Michael T. says:

Sure, I eat some dehydrated foods.

If I were to live on just fruits and veggies, I would get really hungry really fast. I can drink a big green smoothie, and I’m hungry just a couple hours later. So, I believe I need some dense foods, either cooked or raw.

I like to make dehydrated crackers with flax and other seeds, blended with celery, parsley, cilantro, scallions and other veggies.

Seems much better for me than the wheat crackers sold in stores.

If you think about it, all nuts and seeds are dehydrated by nature. So, anyone who eats any nuts or seeds is eating dehydrated food. I believe Aris Latham eats raw pies with crusts made from nuts — so he eats dehydrated foods, too.

Let’s just eat whatever makes us feel good.

30. kiera says:

Definately have done alot of specailty dehydrating for mysoelf and others over the years, though always found that my personal preference has always been fresh juicy and delicious naturally ripened fruits, seeds nuts and vegetables.
    Also have been drinking about 5-10 coconuts a day for abot 10 years now when possible, and use the meat when not too young for pies, puddings and other coconut delights. Coconuts are for sure my favorite food, need to live near them. Loved the interview…hydation is the key.

31. I was dehydrating quite a bit but I found it was causing me to become constipated. Now I only dehydrate soaked buckwheat for Sunshine Gogi Cereal from Ani’s Raw Kitchen (I guess the goji berries I eat all the time are dehydrated). I also dehydrate Kale Chips once in a while…the buckwheat I eat every day.

I’ve not moved more towards eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and I feel waaaaaaaaaay better. I had serious brain fog for about a year and now that I’m eating more fresh stuff my head is crystal clear and I have so much more energy. Some days, when I eat really high raw, I have so much energy it’s almost too much so I have to go exercise to burn it up or I feel to wired….good problem to have if you ask me!

32. Nora says:

I also like the phrase: fresh food! Sounds much better in my language as well. (Hungarian)
    Unfortunatly in the middle of Europe there are no coconut trees, but I’m sure there is a reason I borned here for. We have pretty cold and long winters, so in winter time It’s hard to get fresh stuff, local I mean. I’m a beginner, but I think as an introduction to my life dehydrating helps a lot. I prefer fresh things, but sometimes dehydrator is a great tool for expressing my creativity which is increased by this lifestyle (and YOGA!).
    I loved the interview!
    Thanks!

33. Usha Sunrise says:

I don’t own a dehydrator, I do have a low temp oven, but I’ve not used the low temp yet… I do have sundried tomatoes an sundried fruits… and I do have teas an sometimes warmed soups, steamed veg and heck, I do add some cooked foods this time of year. Because, unfortunately, I don’t live where the coconut trees grow… I live somewhere where it’s currently freezing cold… :(

34. i do not eat dehydrated foods, but have done so in the past…some people like them, especially when transitioning and then discover that raw food is the fresh fruits and vegetables that are body is meant to consume in its whole, fresh, ripe, raw and unprocessed form

i, too love coconut water and use it for my cleanses or which i recently completed one for 42 days and wrote a day-by-day account of my experiences…you can read about it: http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com

p.s. kevin and annemarie, i am looking forward to seeing you at expo west and checking out your booth -that is so exciting!

35. maddiethunderclap says:

Hi there I live in freezy cold wet wet Scotland and it was so freezing for this year that even all my root veg over winter stuff died off even in the poly tunnel. What dr Lathame says is of course right but we have to be practical and coconuts etc do not grow in Scotland. An organic lettuce cost about $3 a cucumber the same. 4 organic smallish apples $4.50 and i wouldn’t even know where to start looking for those funny coconuts. Oh and the recipes mostly American for raw nut pie crust aaarrgggghhhhh! Here a cup of raw cashews would be about $ 4.50 before we even fill the pie. and I think i would rather dehydrate my garden produce to store as you have to scald in boiling water for several minutes before freezing it. S yes he talks sence and yes I’m left feeling that what I do is less than adequate, but can do nothing about it as I’m only a wee granny living in a freezing wet sunless (90% of the time)country.Oh we have cracking lochs and hills and valleys and forests but health wise? give me a coconut/mango sun kissed gove any hour of the day. Ah Carol Look? is that the one of tapping fame? Then you’re all in for a huge learning experience .This stuff stops nothing short of miraculous.LIFE CHANGING STUFF OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

36. Candy(lilmissfitnessgirl) says:

I thought Dr. Aris Latham was right on when he spoke of what “raw” food misconception is. It does have the wrong meaning because if we are to eat like nature intended us to eat it should be alive. We should not have to alter it in any way even if it’s only dehydrated foods at low temperature. It’s still processed and the moisture is removed. Too much raw food recipes are no better than cooked food recipes because you are consuming so much nuts in large amount it’s equivalent to sitting down and drinking a cup or more of oil in one dish(nut loaf). We need to get back to what eating raw means-eating things grown in nature that is not changed at all and if we have to cook it/dehydrate it then it’s not intended for us to consume and the life of the food is dead.

37. Daniel says:

The Panama man is cool! :)

38. carol says:

I eat dehydrated foods, I wish I could live in a warmer climate and it is not practical for all the world to go move to a warmer climate. How would that be possible?
    I do what I can and eat the best that I can. dehydrated is better than the sad diet. for sure! I am thankful for what I can eat raw.

39. Rosemarie says:

I have eaten them but not very many;

I have two comments your Jennifer is drinking bottled water oooooooow.

This speaker you have on is eating 75 coconuts a week, so if the raw population of about just let’s say 525000 that comes to
    3,625,000 per week, which comes to 7,250,000 per year and so on and so on.
    Don’t you think that is a bit depleting? There would be no coconut trees in the very near future, they don’t grow overnight.
    And you are supporting this? How is this right?

40. Rosemarie says:

Forgive me I wrote the wrong numbers: 75 coconuts per week is 525,000,and 188,500,000. a year now that is a number!

41. Toria says:

Great video, really good insight!!

42. Debbie Gordon says:

I used to use my dehydrator a lot when I first started raw, but 3 years later, I only use it for my compost crackers, which is leftover vegetable pulp from making my juices every morning, chia seeds, garlic, dulse and kelp. Yummy

43. Sharon says:

3900 coconuts a year per person Rosemarie. Much more sustainable than eating meat or grains.

I don’t dehydrate my food. Many years ago I had a dehydrator and made treats like watermelon “candy” and I dehydrated my own beef for jerky rather than buy the chemical stuff from the store. That’s over 15 years ago and I don’t eat jerky now, lol.

I don’t have anything against dehydration. It’s better than packaged food on the SAD diet. Apple chips or banana chips instead of potato chips are certainly better choice for snacking and can be good transition foods. It’s all relative to what you’re comparing it too. My diet of choice is 80/10/10 but I don’t always stick to it especially in the winter months. That’s what makes me feel best though. I’d love to migrate like the birds. Maybe next winter!

44. hello you guys! WOW YOU ARE SO BLESSED TO BE IN HIS ENERGY PRESENCE HIS EYES ARE SO SPIRITUAL I SAW SUCH BEAUTY IN HIS BEING! OH HOW I WOULD LOVE TO HANG OUT WITH HIM! Im so excited to hang out with you guys you are helping me to heal myself THANK YOU! I have no dehydraytor Im just doing smothies and eating lots of avacados my friend made me some kale chip in her dehy- with nutritional yeast YUMMY so good! I should go buy some coconuts! Love you all dandelion

45. Patricia says:

One thing I do eat lots of is goji berries, I wish they grew in my back yard, but they don’t. I do rehydrate them in fresh water so that I can put them in my smoothie every morning. After watching this interview it makes me wonder now, how really good are those goji berries?

46. Corbin says:

I definitely think Aris is on to something. My wife and I have eaten raw more on than off for 6 1/2 years. Maybe because we’ve been on and off we’ve learned what are bodies are telling us. First of all, our bodies don’t like cooked food, but we do find it a necessary evil at times. That said, for the last 6 weeks we’ve been on a push to get 100%… the primary problem being money (we have a family of six.) The thing is we haven’t been feeling very fresh or revitalized from it and we can’t figure out why.

The first thing of course is that we aren’t 100%. We have just needed more “filler” so that our brood doesn’t go hungry and so we don’t go broke. So we have beans and rice and rolled oats to supplement our mostly raw diet, but this is does keep you from having that lightness of being I’ve experienced eating raw before.

But last night, before I watched this video, I was eating some Guacamole – one avocado, some chopped onion and jalapeño, fresh cilantro, hand-squeezed lemon juice, some powdered (dehydrated) garlic, and sea salt. It was delicious and satisfying. I thought to myself, “This is loaded with fat, but it is light and doesn’t make me feel heavy.” I contrasted that with what we’ve been eating, which is loaded with nuts, seeds, coconut oil, olive oil, etc… that we’ve been consuming because we’ve been thinking the lack of energy was coming from not enough proteins and fats.

I guess what I’m saying is, in agreement with Aris, that fresh, raw, whole foods provide the liquid and vitality that processed, even raw, foods can’t. And I don’t think there’s anything anything wrong with nuts, seed, oils, etc… but I think they should only make up smaller portion of our diet. The fresh fruit and veggies are what give us life and energy and the vitality we all are longing for from eating raw.

Regarding sustainability, while it would be nice if we all had the produce available to us living in the tropics, I think it is essential for us to recognize what IS available to us where we live. My wife and I are about to move to Scotland. We are moving from California – a raw food utopia. We are going to have to shift what we eat and find some new recipes, but so what. If we can’t have lots of nuts, avocados, tomatoes and sun-hungry plants, I can eat lots of greens, carrots, and berries all which grow well and are excellent superfoods. We’ve just had to encourage ourselves with this, because our raw cheesecake may not be feasible for us anymore, but we have some wonderful options. Oh the berries we will eat! Yum.

47. i try not to, since it does not leave me feeling good. one thing i like to eat once a while though is your kale chips recipe. :-)

48. Rhonda D says:

I do not own a dehydrator, I was thinking of getting a small one. just when you want that crunchy bit of food. but for the most part fresh is best.

But we have to be resonable with the area we live in as well. Especially living up north.

Best of health to all.
    Rhonda D.

49. honestly a healthy cooked meal with lots of veggies leaves me feeling more energized than dehydrated foods.

50. Suzy says:

I eat dehydrated foods from time to time. I enjoy the variety the occasional onion bread or flax crackers offers me. I don’t think it is contraindicated for maximum health, and it is certainly very natural. For example, grapes that dry up are delicious, I eat them right off the vine in my yard.

51. Ed (Pine and Prairie Trading Post) says:

We use our dehydrator quite a bit. We make our own garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, etc. I also use it to make yogurt. The trick is to not ever heat over 105F to 110F. That way you do not destroy the enzymes and other goodness that is in food. Sure, it takes way more time when you do it this way, but we think it is worth it to preserve the healthy life style. It really is great for raw milk yogurt. Since you have to keep it at 110F for 8 hours. I just take out 10 racks or so, and set my time and temp and away I go!! It is all about doing your research and finding out what works for you.

52. Veronica says:

Hi Kevin

I love the direction your show is going now. I think the content you’ve been posting recently is far superior to a lot of nonsense being spread in the raw food movement. I appreciate your down to earth and common sense approach.

I don’t eat dehydrated food, it never makes me feel well and I get headaches and just need to drink more water because there’s too much oil and salt in prepared dehydrated foods whether homemade or at a restaurant.

If I were going to eat compromised food with the water tsken out of it i’d prefer to eat some steamed vegetables or greens instead and they are not completely dehydrated and hard to digest.

53. Simona says:

Hi there,

I think crackers, pizza crusts and wrappers would help very much the transition to raw foodism. I think convincing kids to go raw would be almost impossible without these:) I also think that soaking and sprouting the ingredients (and drinking more water as Shannon says – comment 18) should make dehydrated food okay.

And, what are people who live in the colder/cold regions supposed to do during winter?

I like Aris Latham and I would like to go and enjoy a one week retreat at his facility but I just wonder (maybe I didn’t get right what he was saying?)..why would someone replace water with coconut water? What about just water? Pure water.
    I would have water to drink and I would enjoy some coconut water every day for its benefits. If I could:)
    I’m not even sure that coconut trees would agree to support a whole population of human beings who want to drink the water of 75 coconuts per week:))

54. Beth says:

I don’t eat dehydrated foods, but I am still eating some cooked foods, especially in the colder winter months.
    Now that spring is on the way, I have found I’m reaching for more fresh foods again.

55. Tahnee says:

My Mom is diabetic and I am trying to get her onto the Rawfoods especial greensmoothies. Do you have any recipes on greensmoothies for a diabetic?

I would like to do a Coconut water cleans,do you have any rules on how?

I was also told that you can marinate Coconut meat like eatting reguler cooked meat, How would you do this?

Thanks Tahnee

56. Tressey says:

Awesome interview and insight. Yes, I dehydrate some things from time to time. Mostly sprouted almonds for almond milk. I like the taste better. Other dehydrated items are wraps that are ready in a few hours. Lon,g complicated recipes that take 12 hours and such are not my thing.

57. Carol says:

Hey Debbie Gordon. Your crackers sound great. “I only use it for my compost crackers, which is leftover vegetable pulp from making my juices every morning, chia seeds, garlic, dulse and kelp. Yummy” Please post the recipe.

58. I love my dehydrator! I just upgraded from a Nesco to an Excalibur. I use it to make kale chips, dehydrated broccoli & cauliflower, crackers, spirulina/goji berry cookies, soaked/sprouted/dehydrated nuts, crunchy onion straws, and I look forward to making many more things. Of course, fresh is best, but dehydrated is a great alternative to create interesting tastes and textures and help preserve fresh food longer.

59. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev and Ann,

I eat dehydrated foods very rarely. Its more of a treat for long road trips and things. I do not own a dehydrator. I think that in small amounts, that it is probably ok. I realize we’re going for optimum health over all. I also realize that someone switching from refined, bleached, white flour crackers to dehydrated flaxseed crackers is doing much better with the flaxseed ones.

People need to understand where they’re at, and grow from there as they can do so. I live in NC and its really hard to get good, fresh food here. Whole Paycheck is getting more and more of my paycheck each month. I do green smoothies about everyday .I do have a garden, and I’m starting to sprout indoors-thank you Kevin!

I’d like a better water filter than I have, but can’t afford one right now. I agree that it would be best to live somewhere that fresh food is always available. I’ve also thought about the concept that if we can’t eat the food the way God gave it to us, then maybe its not food for us to begin with after all.

I still eat a little cooked food…today was a bad day as a matter of fact. We have a one income family, and we’re raising our two boys. So I’m trying to do the best with what we have in where we live. That was a great interview. I liked what he had to say! You guys are great!

60. Stormie says:

I dehydrate soaked nuts and seeds to have on hand for various dishes. I also dehydrate flax/sunflower seed/vegetable crackers/chips so I have them on hand when I just think I must have a cracker or chip. I love Kale chips and love to dehydrate fruit that I can’t use all of before it will go bad, a whole watermelon for example. I also use the dehydrator to “warm” raw foods that I just can’t bring myself to eat cold. I use organic dehydrated fruits in my trail mix, so that I will eat raw nuts/seeds, and in raw granola. I like raisins and dates to sweeten up some raw recipes from time to time. Except in trail mix and granola, I always rehydrate dehydrated fruit before consuming. Nothing more convenient on the go than dehydrated food and some pure water.

61. astrialkil says:

If u rehydrate your dried food are not u putting the “liquid electricity” back in?
    By re-hydrating you are lowering the concentration of energy back down to where it started, so its not too dense. This makes it “fresh” again.
    Re-hydrating should make dried food a good way to store your Raw food.

Cooking was started to kill bacteria. this is not a bad thing, it reduces incidence of food borne disease people contract. This is most important in 3rd world where human sewage is not processed.

62. Beto says:

My dehydrated food weakness is dried mango alone or with coconut butter or even almond butter.
    I like the fresh food label, but it has been used and abused by so many for so long that I like Fresh Living Food better.

63. I do dehydrate … sometimes.

64. Veronika says:

@Patricia: If you don’t want to buy dried goji berries, sometimes you can find frozen goji berries in the freezer section as stores like Whole Foods. I think it’s a bit cheaper too. The berries are much bigger since they still have water, and the flavor is nice.

I dehydrate only to make special treats every once in a while – kale chips, cookies, or bread. I make a batch of one of those 1-2x per month, which is enough to have fun in the kitchen without over doing it. Despite the whole temperature/enzyme thing, I don’t really consider dehydrated food “living”. Once it has the moisture sucked out of it, it might have the minerals & enzymes, but it doesn’t have the same effect in my body as fresh food.

65. donna says:

i rehydrate my dehydrated goji berries before eating, it makes them easier to eat.

66. Florence says:

yes I use a dehydrator to make seeds crakers and buckwheaties once a week. It allowed me to stop bread and I am french so bread and cheese were a big part of my diet! So thanks excalibur. Nevertheless i use it less and less.
    what i find ineteresteing is that the bread addiction is gone and I did not developed any adiction to the crakers.
    I got more addiction on raw nuts which is what I am working on now!!!

Thanks for the interview. it is awsome.
    Florence

67. Isabelle says:

Hi Kevin & Annemarie, and all of you out on the blog… another great show with a truly wonderful man. Dr. Latham is so right, raw isn’t right – it’s fresh, and in the best of cases, it’s sun ripened…that’s why it’s so good for us and makes us feel so good.
    I make “crackers in the dehydrator but I don’t eat very many dehydrated foods. I have a 9 tray Excalibur…now I would get 1 with only 4.
    Question: do you think Teflex sheets are ok? What about silicon molds? just curious – I only use wax or baking paper…just would like your expert opinion on this…thanks for a wonderful show – you are terrific! every show is super, I have learned so much from you..
    Big hug!
    Isabelle

68. Erin says:

Nope, no dehydrated food for me. Only fresh ripe fruits and veggies for me, with the rare nuts, seeds, and avocados.

And I feel so much better than when I was eating high fat gourmet raw with lots of dehydrated stuff!

69. Have a dehydrator but never use it anymore.

70. rubyspirit says:

I curious how he does his nuts … does he soak them before he make a pie?

71. Lauren Meyer says:

Kevin,
    I love my dehydrator and get great delight creating new concoctions for it. What do you and Ann Marie think of dehydrated foods. Many of my recipes come from you guys. Thanks, Lauren

72. Mys says:

I only eat foods that are waterless in emergency situations.

Everything that has water when growing should have water when we eat it.

Nuts and seeds digest better when they’ve been soaked or sprouted.

No dehydrated stuff for this girl!

73. PE says:

As fresh as can be– that means local. How better to break the back of the companies that peddle junk diets.
    And you northerners needn’t feel left out, since Eliot Coleman has so elegantly shown how to grow fresh greens in Maine winters, without a big carbon footprint.

74. Lila says:

I love dehydrating. I make jicama chips, kale chips, some cookies, several variations of vegie burgers, granola, mac and cheese and lots of other goodies. Heat up soup or various raw vegie combos. My list is long.

Lila

75. Dennis says:

Let’s see. Deydrated foods, even though raw, are not good. Smoothies we learn lose most of their nutrients through oxidation. Juices aren’t any good because they’re fractionized foods – fiber missing. Fruits aren’t good either because of their sugar content. Nuts and seeds have too much fat. What’s left? Vegetables. Imagine trying to sustain yourself on just vegetables?

76. Vital says:

Dennis,
    I take it that your comment was not really meant to be taken seriously – and who knows, some people may not even realise that.
    But as it can be taken as somebody trying to discourage others to eat healthier:
    Sugar, like any substance, is only unhealthy if it is extracted (from the whole food) and refined.
    And unless you really want to harm yourself, it’s not very likely that one will get too much fat from eating nuts and seeds, simply because they are so substantial and make you feel full for such a long time.
    Ever wondered why animals – in their untampered habitats – are so much healthier than most humans? (Could it be that “intelligence” leads us to stupid actions, like processing our foods, one of the harmful ways of waisting our time – environmentally too?)
    I.e., food is as bad as it is processed.
    I would think that the healthiest diet then might as well be called: Unprocessed.

77. Dennis says:

On the contrary, I try to eat as healthy as possible, raw smoothies, juices, nuts & seeds, etc. I didn’t mean to be so sarcastic, but there seems to be some many different factions even among raw fooders. I agree, we have to trust our instincts and not just what one person says. After a while, you know what foods make you feel good and energized. Of course, organic, if available, is always so much better, as it is shown to have, in most cases, much higher mineral content.

78. I use my oven as a pantry says:

hello, the emperor has no oven. I can understand that some raw foods are good for you but, its not natural to be put on this earth not to cook.

a well balanced meal is a combination of all things.

thats about all i have to say.